The History Center on Main Street, 83 N. Main Street, Mansfield PA 16933
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Communities & Neighborhoods
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
History of Town of Southport Seal
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
Town of Southport Page
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce
Article by Town of Southport Historian, Virginia WHEELER McElroy 2006
Photo by Joyce M. Tice 2001
Joyce's Search Tip - November 2008
Do You Know that you can search just the articles on the site by using the Articles button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page
History of Southport's Town Seal

Southport Historical Society was officially formed at a dinner-meeting held at the Pine City Baptist Church on June 13, 1978. Their long term goal was  to gather information concerning Southport’s history in general, as well as the homes, families and cemeteries in our area.

The Southport Historical Society discovered that the Town of Southport had not had a Town Seal since it was incorporated in 1822. So the Society decided to do something about it. The committee was picked to "kick off the campaign" which included Ronald Dunn, Jacqueline Baker, Richard Baker, R.A. Boesen, Mary Ann Kent, Marjorie Lucarelli, Bernard Mackowiak, Tony Mason and Bonnie Balok.

The Southport Historical Society announced on April 12, 1979 that they would be holding a "Design the Town Seal Contest". It was to be designed by a local resident, depicting local history, thus providing Southport with an identifying insignia. It’s history in the making.

The contest was open to all Southport residents, students and adults of all ages.

Cash prizes would be awarded; first prize- $50.00; second prize-$25.00; and third prize- $15.00. The design chosen would be cast by a local artist’s studio, Justification Studios. and presented to the Town Board. It will become the official seal of the Town to take its proper place in the Town’s history.

There were 17 designs turned into the committee to be considered. Judges were picked including Mrs. George Zurenda, Mr. Thomas Byrne, and Ms. Mary Lou Nelcoski.

On June 1, 1979 the judges picked the winning design. It was designed by Ralph F. Enyedy, 70, of 1702 Pennsylvania Avenue, Pine City, NY. The design depicted the oldest homes in Southport dating back to the 1700’s; the old Plank Road, now Pennsylvania Avenue; the Dutch Hill area; and pine trees and lumber mills.

On October 9, 1979 the Southport Historical Society presented their draft of the new seal and the Town accepted it with Resolution No. 177-79. The seal was cast in bronze and presented to the Town Board and Town Clerk on Tuesday November 13, 1979.

References: Elmira Star Gazette

Southport Historical Society’s Archives

Reformatted by: Virginia R. McElroy

Southport Town Historian

Sept., 2006

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 20 OCT 2006
By Joyce M. Tice
Email: Joyce M. Tice

You are the visitor since the counter was installed on 20 OCT 2006

The History Center on Main Street, 83 N. Main Street, Mansfield PA 16933