From the year 1845 to 1869, William B. Clymer grandson of Hon. George Clymer a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was agent for the sale of the Bingham lands situated in Tioga, Potter, McKean and other northern counties of Pennsylvania, with his office or head quarters at Wellsboro.
Through his liberal offers many citizens of the state of New York, were induced to settle upon the Bingham lands in Tioga county. A large number of these New Yorkers located upon lands in the southern portion of the township of Westfield, Tioga county along the valley of Mill Creek , a tributary of the Cowanesque, and upon the plateaus and hard wood ridges on the east and west sides of Mill Creek Valley and the head waters of Long Run and Potter Brook. These settlers in the years 1850 petitioned the court to form a township to be taken from the townships of Westfield and Gaines, to be named Clymer.
The court granted the request in the year 1850. The first annual assessment was made in the year 1852. The taxables were John Ackley, Roswell Ackley, George Ackley, J. F. Allen, W. R. Burdick, Edmond Bristol, George O. Bristol, George Briggs, Francis Briggs, Levi Blue, Enos Babcock, John Brown, William Bradley, Willis Babcock, Washington Blue, Rockwell Bentley, Charles Burlingame, Hamilton Boardman, John Baty, Isaac Burnside, Seth Boothe, Benoi Boardman, Samuel Briggs, Hiram Burdick, J. B. Benn, William Benn, J. M. Bush, Squire Briggs, Isaac Beach, E. M. Brown, Thomas Barber, J. B. Beach, Henry Brigham, Sylvenus Coe, Eli Chapman, F. W. Calkins, George Cass, Samuel Carlin, C. D. Cameron, Sylvester Davy, George Davy, Jared Davis, John Davis, Alvah Dickens, Robert Dickens, Charles P. Douglass, B. Dutcher, William Douglass, Horace Dimond. Thomas Eldridge, Jr., Horace Eldridge, Thomas Eldridge, Chester Ellsworth, Andrew Frasier, Ransom Freemond, Squire Guile, Philo Griffin, Silas Griffin, Daniel Gower, Charles Gum, Benjamin Grew, W. G. Grew, Peter Griffin, G. W. Heller, George Heller, Lott Hackett, Elmer Hackett, Burton Howe, George Hawley, Benjamin Howe, Elijah Hancock, J. W. Hancock, Lyman Hancock, E. G. Hill, Charles Hoag, Erastus Hill, H. K. Hill, Henry Hill, Z. Hemminger, William Head, Job Head, Doctor J. W. Hamer, James Hill, George Harvey, George Hurlburt, James Johnson, Alonzo King, Hiram King, H. King, A. King, Harvey King, John King, Alfred King, Charles King, David Kilbourn, Henry Larrison, W. Larrison, William Lebar, George Lebar, Thompson Lebar, A. Lebar, Charles Lebar, Chauncy Lebar, James Lovell, Peter Lovell, John Lovell, Nelson Lindsey, W. Larrison, G. Larrison, George Larrison, William McNeil, Benjamin Madison, Henry McFall, Moses Newton, M. W. Newton, Samuel Niver, Norman Orris, Andrew Ormes, Cyrus Paddock, D. A. Paddock, Lyman Pritchard James Richards, Charles Richards, Ira Potter, Willard Potter, Orson Pemblaton, Cheeney Pendleton, John Rushmore, William Rogers, Rosel Rogers, Dennis Roberts, William Runnells, Willard Rowland, Silas Rushmore, Peter Rushmore, Jonas Rushmore, Jonas Schoonover, Thomas Schoonover, Christopher Schoonover, Hiram Schoonover, John Sykes, Charles Sykes, Charles Southard, Dixson Southard, Chauncey Southard, C. B. Skelley, David Short, E. G. Smith, E. W. Smith, James Smith, Abram Smith, Peter Smith, Marvin Swimelar, Thomas Straight, Orris Stebbins, E. H. Stebbins, Stephen Straight, A. G. Sabin, Henry Steele, E. F. Skinner, Nathaniel Skinner, C. R. Skinner, W. B. Skinner, James Scott, Luke Scott, Levi Scott, Rufus Scott, Charles Scott, Samuel Smimelar, Samuel Scoville, Merritt Thompson, J. O. Thompson, Caleb Trowbridge, H. E. Tanner, J. C. Tanner, Watson Trowbridge, Noah Weeks, Freeman Wilcox, William Wright, Aaron Yale. Much attention is directed to agricultural pursuits in the township, the raising of neat cattle and sheep, and the making of butter and cheese.
Sabinsville contains about 300 inhabitants.
Sabinsville is a station on the A. & N. R. R. R.
Simon Rexford settled at Mixtown in the year 1820.
George O. Bristol settled in Mixtown in the year 1820.
Equitable Aid Union No. 253, organized March 5, 1881.
The first black-smith in the township was Cyrus Paddock.
The first hotel in Sabinsville was kept by C. P. Douglass.
The first mail through Sabinsville was carried by Samuel Lacey.
The mean elevation of Clymer township is about 1,575 feet above tide.
The first store in Sabinsville was built by the late Honorable Butler B. Strang.
The early settlers made large quantities of maple sugar for the market.
The first regular school house was erected at Mixtown in the year 1826.
The first regular physician in Clymer township was Doctor John M. Haner.
The first election held in the township was at the house of C. P. Douglass.
James Mix was the first settler at Mixtown, in Clymer township, in the year 1818.
The first grist mill was erected by Orrin Stebbins and Elijah Hancock in Sabinsville.
Sabinsville was named in honor of Alonzo G. Sabin, a prominent citizen of the place.
There are three post offices in the township, viz.; Sabinsville, Mixtown and Long Run.
The post office was established at Sabinsville in the year 1849. C. P. Douglass post master.
Sabinsville lodge No. 2,300 Knights of Honor instituted by W. H. Fuller, D.D.G.D., October 2, 1880.
The Addison and Northern Pennsylvania Railroad, passes through the central portion of the township from north to south.
C. P. Douglass settled in Sabinsville in the year 1837. Orrin Stebbins and Elijah Hancock made settlements at about the same time.
There are two church edifices in the township , Methodist church erected in the Ackley district in the year 1853. A Baptist church was erected in Sabinsville in 1879.