The township of Ward was formed from the townships of Sullivan and Union, in the year 1852. Within its boundaries are the highest points in Tioga County, or Northern Pennsylvania. It was named in honor of Hon. Christopher L. Ward, of Towanda, Pa., who at one time owned nearly the entire lands in the township. Within its boundaries as formed in 1852, were to be found the largest deposits of semi-bituminous coal in Northern Pennsylvania. The borough of Fall Brook was taken from its territory in 1864, where mining of coal has been carried on since 1860, and a portion of Hamilton was taken from Ward in 1872. Mining is carried on by the Morris Run Coal and Mining Company, and quite a large portion of the coal is taken from the township of Ward, although it is brought to the surface in the township of Hamilton. The heirs of the late Christopher L. Ward still own considerable coal lands in the township, though in an undeveloped state. The Tioga river flows from the north-east through the township, receiving its first tributaries in that township. There is a tradition that some of the very first settlements in Tioga County were made within the limits of Ward township, by those claiming title under the grants made by the state of Connecticut. There is a place know as the "Old Possessions," which had been made prior to 1808—but by whom, the oldest settler in Ward and the neighboring township of Sullivan cannot definitely determine. In 1808 these "Old Possessions" had the appearance of having been made and abandoned from fifteen to twenty years, prior to that date. It is not know therefore, who the first settler was in the township of Ward. William McIntosh, Simon McIntosh and Matthias McIntosh settled in what is now known as "McIntosh Hollow," in the township of Ward, in the year 1837. Harry Coovert settled near them about the same time. James Lyon, Andrew Kniffin, Erastus Kiff, William R. Lyon, Daniel Hager, John Purvis, Waterman Gates and others, soon thereafter located in the township. A number of these were from Delaware County, New York.
The first election was held in 1852, at the house of William R. Lynn
The first school house in the township was made of logs. It was located in McIntosh Hollow, and was erected in the year 1838.
Erastus Kiff built a saw mill in 1863.
A Farmers’ Grange was established in the year 1879.
The first schools in the township were taught at private houses.
Rev. John Spaulding was the first clergyman who preached in the township.
Among the first teachers in the township were Mary Welsh and Susannah Bascomb.
Mr. Wood erected a saw mill in Ward, in the year 1844. William McIntosh erected one a few years later.
There are several religious organizations in the township, but no church edifices. The school houses are used for religious services
Tracey O. Hollis, A. J. Tecter, John Kiff, A. P. Gray, Miles Furman, Stephen Segar, Hugh Crawford, H. R. Wilcox, are a few of the prominent business men and farmers of the township.
It will be borne in mind that Fall Brook was not taken from Ward until August, 1864. During the rebellion, Fall Brook and Ward, with a total voting population of 148, furnished, either by commutation, substitute or drafted men, 366 person for the Union armies.