Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History - Bradford County PA
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
Albany Township Page
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce 
Photo taken by Joyce M. Tice May 1999
ReTyped for Tri-Counties by Pat SMITH Raymond . 
Book Submitted by Walt Samson
HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company, Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND CITIES"


 Albany township was formed in 1824, taken from the township of Asylum.  The Fowler branch of the Towanda Creek runs through the township.  The Sullivan and State Line Railroad from Towanda to the mines at Bernice also passes through the town, having a station at New Albany.  The surface is hilly, but is being brought up to a good state of cultivation.  The early settlers were Sheffield Wilcox, Horatio Ladd, Daniel Miller, Ephraim Ladd, Charles W. Ladd, John Ladd, Joseph Langford, Jonathan Fowler, Roger Fowler, Rowland Wilcox, Freeman Wilcox, Sheffield Wilcox, Jr., Edward Warren, Ephraim Granger, Calvin Granger, Dorus Granger,  John B. Hinman, Humphrey Goff, Jonathan Frisbie, William Lee, Amzi Kellogg, Archelous Luce, William Miller, John Fogerty, John Nichols, Simeon Chapman, Peter Sterriger, Hugh Cavanaugh, Henry Hibbard, David Sabin.  It is bounded on the north by Monroe and Asylum townships, on the east by Terry and Wilmot, on the south by Sullivan county, and on the west by Overton.
 --The Wilcox family were Rhode Islanders.
 --Louisa Alden taught the first school in 1812.
 --Charlotte Wilcox was the first white child born in the township.
 --The Ladds, early settlers, were from Tolland county Connecticut.
 --The first saw mill was erected in 1820, by Sheffield Wilcox and his relatives.
 --The Berwick and Newtown turnpike was constructed through the township in 1818.
 --Daniel Miller, one of the first settlers, died October 8, 1856, aged 77 years, 9 months, 2 days.
 --Horatio Ladd died January 12, 1850, aged 70 years.  He was one of the first settlers in 1801.
 --The first death was Ezekiel Ladd July 20, 1803, who was killed at a raising, a timber falling on  him.
 --A Post of the Grand Army was established at New Albany, June 26, 1877, number of post 72.
 --Chauncey Corbin cleared the first farm between the Berwick and Newtown turnpike and the river.
--New Albany Grange Patrons of Husbandry, No. 205, Amasa Heverly, first master, F. N. Wilcox, secretary.
--The Universalist Church at Hibbard Hill, was organized in 1844 by Rev. J. P. Sweet, church erected in 1862.
--Horatio Ladd, Daniel Miller, Rowland Wilcox, C. W. Ladd, Freeman Wilcox, Humphrey Goff, were drafted for the defense of Washington in 1814.
--The Baptist Church at New Albany was formed in 1849, church erected in 1879.  William
   McKnown was the first resident minister in 1852, Stephen Harris deacon, John W. Martin, clerk.
--New Albany Lodge No. 682, I. O. O. F., was organized December 23, 1869, G. W. Burdick Noble Grand, George H. Kendall Vice Grand, S. D. Sterriger Secretary, D. W. Harshberger, Treasurer.
--The first permanent settlement was made in 1801, by Sheffield Wilcox and Horatio Ladd, who received a gratuity of seventy-five acres each from Doctor Joseph Priestly, the owner of a large portion of the lands in the township.

You are the visitor to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June 26, 1999