Tri-Counties Genealogy &
History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
Armenia township was formed in 1843,
taken from Troy and canton townships. It occupies an elevated position
on the western line of the county and forms the water shed between the
waters of Sugar creek and the Tioga river. The Tioga rises in the
township and flows in a southwesterly course into the township of Ward
in Tioga county. Although the lands of the township are situated
at an average elevation of eighteen hundred feet above the sea level, still
the soil is quite productive and a number of good farms are found in the
township. From its elevated position some of the finest landscape
views in Northern Pennsylvania are obtained. It is bounded on the
north by Columbia township, on the east by Troy and Canton, on the south
by Canton and on the west by Tioga county.
Early settlers were: Newton Harvey,
George Hawkins, Heman Morgan, Samuel Avery, Silas E. Shepard, Amasa Wood,
Joel Wood, Newell Phinney, Samuel Moore, Joseph Biddle, Alexander Case,
John Lyon, Alba Burnham, Daniel Crandall, William Crandall, Andrew Monroe,
Lysander C. Shepard, Wightman Pierce, William Covert, Abizer Fields, Reuben
Mason, Robert Mason, James Mason, John J. Reynolds, Timothy Randall, John
S. Becker, Jacob Y. Dumond, Gasper Webber, C. H. Webber, John P. Smith,
--The first school house was built in
--L. P. Newell erected a saw mill, at
Armenia, in 1835.
--Rev. Samuel Salsbury preached first
in 1835 in the township.
--The Wesleyan Methodists organized
a church in 1845. Church erected in 1879.
--The Tioga river rises in Armenia township,
and flows southwestward, thence north to Corning, east to Elmira
and south to Towanda, and after having flowed one hundred and twenty miles,
is within thirty miles of its source and flowing in the same direction.
--In 1860 there were sixty-two votes cast
in the township, and Armenia furnished fifty-seven soldiers to the Union
army. Eleven soldiers from Armenia during the war of the rebellion
lost their lives, vis: Amos Chapham, Abner Miller, Barlow Smith, Herrick
Richmond, Arthur Rundell, James Whitehead,
John H. Dumond, Lincoln Burnham, Judson Knight, Albert Woodworth.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June