Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice Oct 1998
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
Granville township was organized in 1831,
taken from Franklin, Canton, Burlington and Troy. Granville Corners,
Granville Center and Granville Summit are villages in the township.
The Northern Central Railroad touches its western border, and Granville
Summit is a station on that road. The north branch of the Towanda
creek passes through the township from west to east. The lands are
rolling and well adapted to grazing and the dairy. It is bounded
on the north by Troy and West Burlington, on the east by West Burlington
and Franklin, on the south by Leroy, and on the west by Troy and Canton.
Its early settlers were: Jeremiah
Taylor, Lewis Moffett, Scoville Bailey, David Bailey, Ezra Bailey, Thomas
Bailey, Uriah Baxter, Benjamin Saxton, Oliver Nelson, Phillip Packer, Abraham
Parkhurst, Charles Butterfield, John Putman, Alvord Churchill, John Pratt,
Josiah Vrooman, David Ross, Abijah Ayres, Z. Porter, Avery Clark, Nathaniel
Clark, Noah Packard, Giles Avery, Simon Chesley, Peter Shoemaker, Daniel
Ferguson, Oliver Bailey, Hugh Halcomb.
--A Good Templars Lodge was organized
--The first road was laid out in Granville,
--The first death in the township was
Mrs. Lewis Moffit.
--Levi Taylor opened the first hotel
in the township, in 1849.
--B. F. Taylor opened the first store
in the township, in 1849.
--Albert Nichols, erected a large tannery
at Granville, in 1857.
--A Lodge of Sons of Temperance, was
established, in 1852.
--The first framed house was built by
Jeremiah Taylor, in 1815.
--The first school was taught by Miss
Delight Spalding, in 1807.
--Adam Inness the celebrated tanner,
located in Granville, in 1865.
--Sylvester Taylor was the first white
child born in Granville in 1804.
--Granville is one of the finest butter
producing townships in Bradford county.
--The first Baptist meeting held in
the town, was in 1805, by Rev. Thomas Smiley.
--The first wedding in the township
was Hugh Holcomb and Miss Prudence Bailey.
--The first grist mill in the town,
was erected by Jeremiah Taylor, Jr., in the year 1820.
--Mail route established through Granville,
from East Burlington to Alba, in the year 1827.
--Simon Chesely was an early settler
in Granville, and a soldier of the revolutionary war.
--In the year 1832, Dr. Silas E. Shapard,
of Troy, organized a Disciple Church, in Granville.
--The “Summit” derives its name from
the fact that it is the highest point on the Northern
Central Railroad, between Baltimore and Canandaigua.
--Granville was originally known as
North Branch, and a postoffice was established in
1827, by that name. In 1831, it was changed to Granville.
--Granville Center Lodge, I. O. O. F.,
No. 687, was organized December 24th, 1869. Robert
Innis, N. G.; M. O. Loomis, V. G.; P. M. Sayles, Sec.; Adam Innis, Treas.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June