Overton township was formed in 1853, taken from Albany, Franklin and Monroe townships. It was named in honor of Edward Overton, of Towanda, who was born in Lancashire, England, December 30, 1795, and came to America in 1815. He had previously studied law in England, and was admitted at the Wilkes Barre, Luzerne county bar, in 1817. Commenced the practice of law at Athens, and removed to Towanda about the year 1820. He became largely interested in real estate and coal lands, and through his exertions the Barclay Coal mines were developed, and the Towanda and Barclay railroad was constructed. He was the first president of the Barclay Coal Company.
Overton is bounded on the north by Barclay, on the east by Monroe and Albany, on the south by Sullivan county, on the west by Leroy. It is a mountainous and hilly township, and its inhabitants are engaged in farming and lumbering. The settlers are chiefly of Irish and German nativity, and are distinguished for their industry and perseverance. They are fast reclaiming the rugged wilds, and bringing them under cultivation. The obstructions which nature has thrown in the way, are being removed by these energetic settlers.
The early settlers were Daniel Heverly, John Heverly, Christain Heverly, Daniel Heverly, Jr., Henry Heverly, Abner Kissell, Leonard Streevy, Henry Sherman, Jacob Hottenstein.
--Catholic Church was erected in Overton in
--The first settler in Overton was Daniel Heverly.
--Jacob Kissell died in 1812, the first death in Overton.
--Overton village was laid out by Henry Sherman, in 1856.
--Heverlyville post office changed name to Overton, in 1856.
--William Waltman opened the first store in Overton, in 1856.
--The first lot in Overton village was purchased by Moses Mossbacher.
--First white child born in Overton was Amasa Heaverly, April 11, 1817.
--The first framed barn in Overton was built in 1832, by Christain Heverly.
--Henry Sherman, one of the early settlers, was the father of twenty-three children.
--The first saw mill in Overton township was erected by Daniel Heverly, Jr., in 1820.
--The first school house in Overton was erected in 1827. Anna Kellogg was the first teacher.
--The first post office was established in 1851, at Heverlyville. Edward McGovern post master.
You are the visitor to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June 25, 1999