Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice October 1998
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
ROME TOWNSHIP AND
Rome township was formed in 1831, taken from
Orwell and Sheshequin. Its surface consists of valleys and table
lands, under a high state of cultivation. The Wysox and its tributaries
are the principal streams of the township, the name given it, Rome, was
because it was on the same parallel as Rome, the famous and renown city
of Italy, “who sat upon her seven hills, and from her throne of beauty
ruled the world.” It is bounded on the north by Litchfield
and Windham, on the east by Orwell, on the south by Wysox, and on the west
Its early settlers were Nathaniel P. Moody,
Enos Moody, Moses Moody, Levi Thayer, Godfrey Vought, Henry Lent, Frederic
Eiklor, John W. Parks, Elijah Towner, Enoch Towner, Ezra Towner, Leonard
Westbrook, George Murphy, John Hicks, James Elliott, Reuben Bump, Russell
Gibbs, Achaitus Vought, Godfrey Vought, Rev. E. C. Taylor, Martin V. B.
Moore, Stephen Cranmer.
--Silas gore was the first blacksmith in Rome,
--Godfrey Vought erected the first frame house,
--Frederick Eiklor taught the first school
in Rome, in 1803.
--The first settler of Rome, was Nathaniel
P. Moody, in 1795.
--Burr Ridgway erected the first grist mill
in the township, in 1808.
--The first white child born in the township,
was Benjamin Moody, in 1798.
--Mrs. Frederic Eiklor, died in February 1800.
The first death in the township.
--Henry Lent one of the pioneer settlers,
was frozen to death in the year 1801.
--In the early settlement of Rome township,
a large amount of maple sugar was made.
--James lent and Chloe Parks were married
in 1803. The first marriage in the township.
--Rev. Elisha Cole, a Baptist minister, held
the first religious services in the town, in 1801.
--The first apple trees were set out by Nathaniel
P. Moody, in 1798. He also set out fruit trees along the roadside,
for the benefit of the boys of the neighborhood.
--Rome Lodge No. 480, I. O. O. F., was instituted
September 12, 1853. Reorganized November 8, 1872, officers H. D.
Towner N. G.; J. H. Allen, V. G.; W. H. Shaw, Sec.
--Rome Lodge No. 418, F. A. Mason, instituted
March 9, 1868, L. A. Ridgway, W. M.; D. R. Woodburn, S. W.; E. M. Farrar,
J. W.; L. L. Moody, Sec.; John Passmore, Treas.
--Godfrey Vought, Andrus Eiklor and Henry
Welt erected the first saw mill in the township, in 1802.
--Nathaniel P. Moody, Elijah Towner and Joseph
Elliott were early settlers and soldiers of the revolutionary war.
--Rome Borough situated in the south western
portion of the township was incorporated as a borough in 1861. It
is situated upon Wysox creek, surrounded by a rich and fertile country.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June