Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Tri-Counties Newspaper Clippings
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
About this Site and How to Use It
Tri-County Genealogy & History Home Page
South Creek Township Page
Tri-County Obits & Newspaper Clippings
Warnings & Disclaimer
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce
Typed for Tri Counties by J. Kelsey Jones

Submitted by Bonnie Isaacs and J. Kelsey Jones

Missing Sections typed by Paul Newell from the South Creek Sesquicentenial Book

 On the whole this township is rugged and hill, a characteristic of the section in which it is located. In the extreme southern part of the town where are the dividing waters, rises South Creek (the main stream) which as its course with a few graceful bends, almost due north through the central part of the township. The stream curves through a pleasant and picturesque valley, high hills rising on either side, those in the east being the higher and the more precipitous. The line of the Northern Central Railroad passes through this village. The creeks and brooklets from the western part of the township and the eastern part of Wells, have an easterly course and debouchere into South Creek. The principal stream from the west being Raving Run. The streams from the eastern part of the town, of which Buck Creek is the principal one, is the principal one, flow eastward and reach Bentley Creek in Ridgebury township. South Creek is well watered and is well adapted for grazing and dairying purposes. The eastern and southeastern part of the township is quite even, and contains many excellent farms. The western and northwestern part of the town is newest and the most broken.
 The township is bounded as follows: On the north by the State of New York, on the east by Ridgebury, on the south by Springfield and Columbia, and on the west by Wells. South Creek is four miles from east to west, and seven miles from north to south, and therefore contains an area of about twenty-eight square miles.
 The township was formed in 1835 from parts of Wells and Ridgebury. The township is so named from this fact: The southern branch of Seeley Creek, (N.Y.), rises in the southern part of South Creek township, and was originally called the "South branch of Seeley Creek;" the term was finally contracted into "South Creek," from which the town takes its name.
 In 1880 South Creek had a population of 1,111. It supports eight and one-half public schools, and one church.
 There are three small villages and railroad stations in the township. These are Gilletts, Fassetts and Dunnings.
 There are post-offices at Gilletts and Fassetts.

 The People

of South Creek are most open-hearted, and you "must eat, drink or sleep with them." Their main business is that of farming and dairying, and though the township is one of the newest in the county, many through unremitting toil have carved out excellent farms and have erected thereon cosy residences and spacious outbuildings, and supplied them with improved stock.
 During the late rebellion the township furnished a number of excellent soldiers. A G.A.R. Post has recently been organized at Gillette's.
 Among the more distinguished characters coming from this rugged soil we would mention J. Sloat Fassett, State Senator of New York, spent his boyhood days in South Creek; Judge H.B. Smith, of the Supreme Court of New York, was a school boy here; and names well known to all are--Hon. J.F. Gillett, ex-member of the State Legislature; Peter J. Dean, ex-Sheriff of Bradford County, and Ira Crane, at one time County Auditor.
 The following are the officers for 1884;--Justice of the Peace, C. F. Moore; Commissioners, H. Lewis, Cyrus Burke, Andrew Wortendyke; Auditors, W. C. Cornell, I. A. Parsons, Judson Mason; Clerk, T. T. Pitt; School Directors, N. D. Stuart, Jacob Montanye, John Vanier, Walter Mason, G. A. Berry, J.C. Kingsland; Assessor, Lyman Burke; Constable, C. A. Pitt; Treasurer, J. F. Andrus; Judge of Election, H. Sample; Inspectors, L.E. Inman, N. Shuart.


   The first settler made South Creek his home before 1804, but the date of his coming to the township is not known, and to fix any would be mere conjecture. Among the very earliest settlers were Jesse Moore, Hosea Baker, Gideon Andrus, Ezekiel Baker, Isaac Baker, John Morrison, Samuel Pettingill, Solomon Bovier, John Pitt, Joseph Chase, Benjamin Seeley, ---- Potter, Aaron Stiles, and James Van Kuren.

   Others that came between 1830 and 1840, were Philo Fassett, Benjamin Inman, Linus Williams, Asa Gillett, William Thompson, John Dean, William Burk, John C. Patterson, Daniel Hildreth, John Dickerson, Andrew Niffin, Hiram Harkness, Luke N. Pitt, Clement Leonard, ---- McElroy, Jacob Quick, Alanson Owens, William Goldsmith, William Houts, ---- Walling, Benjamin Chase, ---- Benson, ---- Blodget, Eben Dunning, Alexander Johnson, and James Dewey. Those coming at a more recent date will be given farther along.

   Jesse Moore located on the place where William Dean now resides, about one-half a mile south of Gilletts, on the farm now owned by Arnot and Webber, of Elmira, in 1804. He came from Orange County, N.Y., and cut his own “sled road” in from Southport. Locating, as above referred to, he at once began “tussling with the huge pines in the valley,” and prepared for life in the new country. Soon after coming to the township, he picked out a mill-site on the west branch of South Creek, built a dam, and erected a log grist mill with a run of one stone. This was only a few rods from where the residence of Mr. G.F. Vernier now is, and was the first mill in the township.

   Mr. Moore died in 1844 upon the place he had settled and improved; Mrs. Moore died in 1855. Jesse Moore succeeded his father upon the place, and died there in 1872; his brother, Elisha Moore, lived on the Fassett place; his daughter, Hannah, married Elder Isaac Lake, and is now living near LeRoy. Asa Moore married Mercy Bentley, whose father was a resident contemporary with the Moores.

   James Ingalls and Thomas Osgood came to the township in 1808, and lived near the State Line. Ingals remained for about a year and Osgood for three years. These families will again be mentioned in connections with Wells.

   Within a few years after Mr. Moore came Hosea Baker came and settled at Gilletts. He erected the plank house in which J.F. Gillett now resides, and opened it as a public house, which he kept for a number of years. This property he sold to other parties, and a couple of years thereafter (1833,) it was purchased by Asa Gillett, who continued in the same business. Baker was quite a noted hunter, and took quite an active part in the pioneer development of this part of the country. “Hosea Ridge,” back of Gilletts, is so-called after him. Baker went to Michigan about fifty years ago where he died. He has a son, Ezekiel Baker, who was among the early settlers. He had his dwelling on the ground where Pitt’s store now is, at Gilletts, and kept hotel for a number of years. Isaac Baker located farther down the creek than did the other Bakers, who claim no relationship. He had a grist mill on South Creek.

   Philo Fassett came to South Creek in 1830. He emigrated from Vermont, and settled in Troy in the beginning of the present century. He located upon the farm which he subsequently sold to Judge Wilber where he subsequently died. Fassett purchased a possession of a Mrs. Andrus, and settled thereon. About twenty acres had been cleared. This is about half a mile south of where Fassett station now is on the farm owned by T. Flood, of Elmira. In 1832 Mr. Fassett added a bar-room to his house and opened it as a hotel, and continued in that business for over thirty years. Says his son, Philo “…he made money by raising rye and exchanging it for whiskey, which was then sold for three cents a glass, and it was not considered a dishonorable business, as liquor was used on almost every occasion, whether religious, social or otherwise.” Mr. Fassett had a large farm, and made many improvements. His son, N.P. Fassett, says: --- “We had no trouble about the Connecticut title --- that had been disposed of before we came. The lands belonged to the Bingham estate. The Govett’s lands reached to the ridges, dividing Bentley from South Creek. The settlers first went and made possession, and then sold from one to another their possessing rights or title. There was an 1100-acre tract, in which some of the settlers had been located for thirty years or more, and were making arrangements to purchase the Bingham title; but a Dr. Seeley ‘stole a march’ on them, bought the Bingham title, and demanded of the settlers what they deemed an exorbitant price, which they refused to pay, Seeley served writs or ejectment upon them, where-upon the settlers combined to resist his title. Suit was commenced against my father (Philo Fassett,) and the case was tried in the Bradford County Court. Elisha Moore, who was a former owner of the possession, was a witness in the case. The settlers beat Seeley on the ground of possession. This Mr. Moore was a brother of Jesse. Another brother, Asa, lived just north of us, over the State Line.
   Philo Fassett died in the township in 1868, at the age of eighty-one years, and is buried at Elmira. His son, Samuel, succeeded him on the farm, and held it until within a few years. Philo Fassett had a family of ten children, seven sons and three daughters. The daughters are all dead. The sons are all living, and are – Newton, attorney at Elmira; I.W., an extensive businessman at Wellsville, N.Y.; Colonel Louis Fassett, in the oil business at Franklin, Pa.; Truman Fassett at Canton, Pa.; Philo and J.Q.A. Fassett live in the township

October 29, 1885

History of  South Creek Township
Some of the Inhabitants

 William Thompson, a Scotch-Irishman, and native of Erin's green soil came to the township in 1833, and located in what is known as "Thompson Hill" (so named from his settling there) on the place of H. Lewis and subsequently on the place of his son S. L. Thompson, where he spent the last forty years of his life. Mr. Thompson had been living in Tompkins county, N.Y., and as Mrs. Thompson relates; "Came in from the 'Johnson settlement' to Bentley Creek, where he remained for a time, until Mr. Thompson had prepared a home in the wilderness. A road was cut through to my cabin, and Jonathan Kent moved us in on a sleigh in January. Our cabin had no door, save a blanket that was supplemented. A hole had been left in the roof for the chimney, not yet built, the gables not closed, and the room but partly floored with halved saplings, flat-side up. We had to keep big fires to keep warm. These were built against the side of our cabin, until a hole was burned through the logs, when we put in our cobbed chimney. The wolves howled furiously around our abode in the wilderness, our sentry being the dog, while we slept. The hoot-owl, perched on some branches overhanging us, lent his coarse voice to the miseries of our gloomy situation. The trials, at first, were severs indeed, and I did everything I could to assist my husband in getting a start. Many a time by moonlight, when the children were sleighing, we picked and burned brush, and not unfrequently I assisted Mr. Thompson loging. During the summer season he worked on the Elmira Flats, to earn bread for his family, and backed in his grain. He set out the first orchard on the hill. Mr. Thompson was a very industrious hard-working man. He died in 1876, at the age of 86 years. His life-long companion survives him at four-score and eight. She enjoys good health, gets about with remarkable agility, considering her age, and is yet possessed of good memory. May our venerable mother live to see the 20th century.
 J.E. Van Kuren states: "My father, James VanKuren moved his family to South Creek, in 1823 from Standing Stone township. When he came but few openings had been made. He endured the hardships of the other pioneers, and lived to be 87 years of age. He moved to this county from Orange County, N.Y."

 John Dean, father of ex-sheriff, Peter J. Dean, came to the township in 1835, from Tompkins county, N.Y., and located upon the place which he still owns and occupies. Mr. Dean was a native of "The Land of Pancakes" and  married there some time after moving to the "Empire State," thence to South Creek. He was induced hither by his father-in-law, William Miller, who located on the place now owned by Peter Dean, about 1831. Miller was also a native of New Jersey, and moved to Tompkins county, N.Y., thence to South Creek. In 1834, he erected a framed dwelling upon the place between Bentley and South Creek, and is yet standing. Sheriff Dean moved from it into the castle at the county seat in 1879. Miller lived to be an old man and died upon the place.
 John Dean, like the other pioneers, was required to endure the hardships, incident to life in a wilderness. He not unfrequently was required to labor on the Newtown flats, to furnish bread for his family, backing in his grist. Mr. Dean was a man of noble principles, and, dying at the age of 83 years, was honored by all acquaintances. He was always a radical Republican, and was one of the original abolitionists. His grandfather was killed in the Revolutionary war, and his father, Richard Dean was a commissioned officer in the war of 1812. Mrs. Dean is living at the age of 80 years.

 William Burke came to South Creek from Tompkins, county, N.J., in 1835. He was a native of New Jersey, and moved from there to Pike county, Pa., with his parents, who afterwards removed to Tompkins county. However, the year before, moving to South creek, Mr. Burke had lived in Ridgebury township. He located on the place now owned by his son, Lyman, what is known as Doty Hill, and there resided until the time of his death, which occurred over a quarter of a century ago, at the age of 70 years. Mr. Burke was one of the pioneers and in those trying days acted his part nobly. One of the resorts in furnishing the wants of the family, was the making of shingles, which were taken to Newtown, and exchanged for goods. Mrs. Burke, at the time of our visit was living at the age of 87 years, though in very feeble health. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Burke were born ten children, eight daughters, and two sons, only four of whom are living. Lyman and Cyrus Burke, are prosperous farmers, and prominent citizens of South Creek.
 John Pitt came to the township before 1830 from Schuyler county, N.Y., and located in the place now owned by GB.G. Wilson, one and one-half miles east of Gilletts. At that time there being but one house between Pennyville and Gilletts. Pitt saw severe times like the other early settlers, and on Saturday night backed in his week's work in provender for his family from near Elmira. His own cow was killed by lightning and the next one he secured broke into the wheat field, overate and died. The widow Blodgett, who lived on the Seafuse place was Mr. Pitt's nearest neighbor. She had several sons. Mr. Pitt cleared up a large farm and died upon the homestead in 1877.
 William Goldsmith lived upon the H. Lewis place, and was a prominent man in the township. For several years he held the office of Justice of the Peace. He died in South Creek in 1883.
 James Dewy was an early settler in the north-eastern part of the township. He was a native of Vermont, and came with his father, James Dewy, from that State. He had a family of ten children, and settled on what is known as the "Baldwin place," on Bentley Creek. From here James 2nd moved to Doty Hill and took up a large farm. He lived on the place now owned by Mr. Burke and was the first or one of the first settlers on the hill. Mr. Dewy moved to Springfield township and died there in 187. He had a family of the following--Katurah, Levi, Harvey, John, Andrew and Eliza. All are living save Harvey and John.
 Daniel Hildreth came to the township in 1838, from Orange county, N.Y. and located in the place now owned and occupied by his son, D.F. Hildreth. Some improvements had been made on the place by Caleb Ingelson, when Mr. H. came on. Mr. Hildreth was a retired tanner and currier. He improved a large farm and died upon the homestead in 1876, at the age of 90 years. He served on Long Island, during the war of 1812, and at the time of his death was drawing a pension. He had a family of nine children; six are living and two in the township.
 Joseph Chase came to the township about 1826, and located upon the place of the widow Joyner. He was a native of Newburyport, Mass., moved to New York State, thence to Ulster township, and from there to Springfield where he lived for a short time, and finally settled as above stated. He lived upon the Joyner place for a few years, then moved to the Lewis place, and lastly upon the place of his son, David, where he spent the remainder of his days, his demise occurring in 1875. Mr. Chase was a hard working man, raised a large family, and endured the hardships of pioneer times most manfully. He had seven sons and six daughters. One son, John, lost his life in his country's service, and three others witnessed the hardships of a cruel war.
 Other and early settlers will be mentioned in connection with our visits.


 Jesse Moore built the first grist mill in the township; the next was put up by Doctor Seely, on the creek near where Fassett's school house now stands. Near the same site Martin Seely afterwards put up a saw mill. Up above the "Stone Line," the  "Suffern Mill" was put in more than half a century ago by on e Chittenden. It was a saw mill and was in operation for a short time only. Chittenden  also kept some goods at the same time he run the mill, in the house in which Mr. Suffern now resides. Up Dunham creek, besides the Dunham mill, John Selover had two mills at quite an early day.
 With regard to schools, Phil Fassett says: "When father came in there  was a school house in South Creek near Gilletts, and a second one nearly completed at Fassetts. Father at once made an effort to raise funds necessary to complete the building, and a school was opened a year or two after his advent into the township. The building stood where Kingsland's store now is. It was a log building.
 Religious--Meetings were at first held in the school house, irregularly. The Baptist Society was established at Gilletts in 1842. Jas. H. Noble was the first regular minister. The only church in the township is at Gilletts, and was erected in 1876.
 The first post office was kept at Fassetts by Philo Fasssett. After a time the office was moved to Gilletts, and kept by Asa Gillett in his hotel.
 A dreadful affair--In 1841, Sylvester Barnes lived in the place, where C. Burke now resides. He built a board house, and the very day it was completed it was destroyed by fire. In the chamber there was no window the chimney had been built on the outside. In the evening the family retired, two of Mr. Barnes' children, and one of a neighbor's sleeping on the second floor. Along in the night Mr. Barnes was awakened and the curtains about his bed were on fire. He and Mrs. Barnes at once fled from the burning building with their lives. In their wild excitement the babe was forgotten;  but Mr. Barnes rushed through the flames, and secured the little one alive. The three children sleeping above unable to make their escape, were burned to death. This affair is supposed to have been the work of an incendiary.

Reporter Journal, Towanda, Pennsylvania, October 29, 1885

Some of the Inhabitants.

 Henry Jones settled at Gillett’s about 1830-31, and kept a tavern on the place now owned by John Gillett; he came from Hartford, Connecticut, died in South Creek, but was buried at Elmira. Rev. Simeon Jones, his father, was one of the pioneer preachers of this section.
 Deacon Asa Gillett came to the township in 1833 from Delaware County, N. Y., purchased lands quite extensively, together with the “Moore Hotel,” and the saw mill at Gillett’s that had been erected by Bundy & Cowell in 1831. He kept hotel, farmed and lumbered somewhat extensively. The old mill, which he employed at Gillett’s, was the first erected in that part of the town, and is yet in use by his son, Hon. J. B. Gillett.
 Deacon Gillett was a pious, hard-working, industrious man. He was a man of ability, a deacon in the Baptist Church, and was the leading member of that denomination. He took great pains in the moral training of the neighborhood, and taught them both by example and pretest. He was a Whig, but never aspired to any political honors. He died in 1862 at the age of 74 years, universally respected by all who knew him. Mrs. Gillett died in 1868, at the age of 79 years.
 Unto Mr. and Mrs. Gillett were born four children. They all reached the years of maturity, married and had families each. Three are living. John F., occupies the homestead. He was a member of the State Legislature in 1877-78. H. Gillett is a prosperous farmer at Wellsburg, N. Y. Asa Gillett was the first postmater at Gillett’s.
 The stage-route from Williamsport to Elmira passed down South Creek and Gillett’s was the “half-way place” between Elmira and Troy. There nine public houses between the last two named points, three of which were in South Creek, and kept respectively by Ezekiel Baker, Harvey Jones and Mr. Gillett.
 Eben Dunning came from Cayuga County, N. Y., in 1837, and bought out a man by the name of Potter, who had made a beginning where Dunning’s Station now is.
 Mr. Dunning built a saw mill and carried on lumbering extensively for over thirty years. He also built a grist mill near the saw mill and both are yet in operation. Mr. Dunningdied in 1879, his widow yet surviving him. His son, D. F., succeeds him in the milling business.
 Benjamin Inman came to the township in 1832, from Cortland County, N. Y.
 He contracted with Joseph Chase for 40 acres of land at one dollar per acre, which he subsequently paid for in work. Says Mrs. Inman: - “ A spot large enough for our cabin was cleared, then was raised and covered with basswood bark. Mr. Inman was required to cut a road in from Bentley Creek, then father took his ox team and moved us in on his ox-sled. Our furniture consisted of two old chairs, a table, my great grandfather’s, and an old bedstead. With a small amount of clothing, we were ready for beginning life in the wilderness. Mr. Inman had to work out most of the time, and not unfrequently was I left alone from Monday morning till Saturday evening, without even a cat or dog to keep me company. One evening as I closed the door a bear stuck his nose in after me. We got along the best we could; I helped Mr. Inman log many trees. I would hold one end of the log while he rolled up the other. My husband would back his grist five miles to Cooper’s mill on Bentley Creek or from the Chemung Flats, near Elmira, where he worked a great deal. We did not hurt for meat as Mr. Inman took great delight in hunting, and killed many deer. We illuminated our cabin with candles made from deer’s fat or from deer’s fat and tallow. When made the later way they would last much longer.” Mr. Inman cleared up his place, and for a number of years followed the trade of gunsmith. He was a Justice of the Peace for fifteen years, and held various other offices of trust. Mr. Inman lived to celebrate his golden wedding and died in February, 1883, aged 73 years, Mrs. Inman yet surviving him. They had a family of nine children, six of whom are living. Four sons enlisted in the late rebellion, and one died at Andersonville. L. E. Inman occupies the homestead.
 Linus Williams, a native of New Jersey, came to the township in 1832 from Seneca County, N. Y., and located on the place now occupied by D. Chase.
 Mrs. Williams says; - “We moved in from Pennyville with an ox team, and Mr. Williams was required to cut his own road a part of the way. The first summer we lived in our log cabin without a door, window, or fire place. When a fire was required it was built against the side of the cabin where we designed the fire place to be. In time a hole was burned through the logs, and a fire place and chimney put in for the winter. We had a cow and a few household goods to start with in the wild woods, on a farm that was covered with the hugest hemlocks and maples. When our cabin was raised, only seven men could be got within a radius of two miles. We got along pretty well by employing our time diligently and being economical. In the spring we made maple sugar which Mr. Williams would take to Ovid on his ox sled and exchange for bread-stuffs. In had worked at tailoring in New York City, and took in sewing for the neighbors, which they would pay in work on the place. Mr. Williams was not a large man and I assisted him in every respect that I could, that we might get along. The second year Mr. Williams sold his gun, and purchased a second cow. Frequently he would take a pail of butter and go to Elmira, on foot, a distance of sixteen miles, and exchange for articles of comfort and eatables. I used to shoot at mark with Mr. Williams, and frequently beat him. Not unfrequently deer and wild turkeys would come to our door. On one occasion, when Mr. Williams was absent, a deer came up and I took the rifle to try my luck. I could not hold the gun at arm’s length, so I placed a chair in the door for a rest. When about ready the dog came up and chased my game away. Mr. Williams often got discouraged, but I never felt lonely for a single day, and would frequently have to cheer him up. Our early neighbors were: McElroy, who came in two or three years after us, and located on the DeWaters place. Clement Leonard located where the Widow Craig now resides. Luke N. Pitt lived on what is now Mrs. DeWaters’ place (of Elmira). John Dickerson located on the place of now Judson Lewis. Andrew Niffin lived on the place of now Mortimer Harkness after Hiram Harkness, who began improvements on the place of now W. C. Cornell; Jacob Quick began on the Mason place, and Alanson Owens on the place of Widow Burnham. William Goldsmith lived where H. Lewis now is, and William Houts on the place now occupied by P. Furman. William Thompson on the place now occupied by his son. Benjamin Chase on the place now by William Chase, and where John Dean now lives a man named Benson began. John Pitt began on the place now owned by B. G. Wilson and a Mr. Blodget on the Seafuse place.
 Linus Williams died on his place in 1872 at the age of 67 years, his widow yet survives him at the age of 78 years. She enjoys excellent health and unimpaired faculties. She has acted the part of the “good Samaritan,” and we hope she may enjoy the blessings of many more years.


November 13, 1885

History of  South Creek

is a quiet village of about two hundred persons, and is situated near the central part of the town in a pleasant valley, with high hills on either side on the line of the Northern Central Railroad. The village has grown since the construction of the Northern Central. When this road was put through a station was located on Mr. Gillett's farm, and accordingly called "Gilletts," a name which extended to the village that began building near by. For some time there was a considerable strife between this place and Dunnings, (a mile south,) but Gilletts finally gained the race and is now quite an important shipping point on the line of the Northern Central. The following are the points of interest there:
 Passmore & Parsons are general merchants, and established themselves in business August 1, 1884. In their store may be found a choice line of staple groceries, confectioneries, tobaccos and cigars, boots and shoes of the latest styles and best make, a full line of dry goods and notions, hardware, tin ware, and a great variety of articles both useful and ornamental found at a country store. Produce is received in exchange for merchandise, and the highest market price paid for hay and grain.
 The post office is kept in connection with the store, H.S. Patterson being postmaster. Passmore & Patterson are young men of fine business qualifications and the strictest integrity. They are building up a fine trade.
 W.S. Pitt is engaged in the general merchandise business, and carries a line of goods of all descriptions, adapted to a country trade. That he has been in continual business for fourteen years is a sufficient quaranty of a reliable and prosperous business.
 John Gordon is also a general merchant, and has been in business for five years. He carries a line of goods designed to meet the wants of a country people.
 C.F. Moore runs a planing mill, and does first-class work. In connection general wagon repairing is done.
 J.L. Pitt runs the village hotel, and keeps a livery.
 Hiram Sample is the village blacksmith, and has please the people of Gilletts with his skillful workmanship for a quarter of a century.
 John E. Turk is engaged in shoemaking.
 C.F. Kiersted is the able and eminent physician of the place, where he has resided for a space of twelve years. He enjoys a very lucrative practice, and is a graduate of Geneva Medical College.
 H.H. Cole is also a practicing physician here.
 The place also affords a grist mill, and saw mill, a graded school, church, (Baptist,) and two town halls. The secret organizations are the I.O. of O.F., I.O. of G.T. and G.A.R.
 Gilletts Corner Band, under the leadership of A.G. Lauk, is a credit to the place, and is composed of excellent young men.
 M. Furman supplies the people with the choicest meats of all kinds, and runs a wagon to Elmira.


 David King is a highly respected citizen, and diligent and successful farmer. He occupies a part of the old Jesse Moore place, and has a desirable location on South Creek. Especial attention is given to the raising of sheep, the Cotswolds and Southdowns, and a large flock is kept. Mr. King is a native of Delaware County, N.Y., and came to the township thirty years since.
 Mrs. King is of good parentage, and has noted relatives. She is a near relative of O.S. Fowler, the celebrated phrenologist, and a niece of Deacon Phineas Field, well known throughout New England, Mrs. King is a lady of a good degree of culture, and takes a full supply of literary journals.
 William Dean is one of those big hearted souls, that has a kind word, and a smile for everybody. He is a successful husbandman, and has charge of the Arnout Webber place. A large dairy of the Jersey and Durham line is carried, and due attention paid to the growing of our native cereals. Mr. Dean has always taken a great interest in public affairs, and has always been a very radical Republican. He is a son of John Dean, a pioneer already mentioned.
 C.A. Pitt is an accommodating gentleman, and a worthy son of John Pitt, the pioneer. In September, 1864, Mr. Pitt lent his services to the Union, joining the 188t New York Regiment, and served faithfully until the close of the war. He was in a number of engagements, and was by rank a corporal. A brother, J.L. Pitt, enlisted in the same regiment at the same time, and served until the battle of Hatcher's Run, where he was wounded, and did not again go into active service.
 We found H. Sample an interesting gentleman, and gleaned interesting facts from him. He is a son of Samuel Sample, who moved from Steuben County, N.Y., to Ridgebury, in 1830. Mrs. Sample says, "When we came through Elmira, there were but two stores and a hotel there, the latter being kept by John Davis." Mr. Sample has been an inhabitant of South Creek since 1843. He is a respected citizen, and fills offices of trust. He lost a son in the service.
 G. O. Turk is the efficient pedagogue at Gilletts, and has followed the teachers' profession for several winters, during the summer season engaging in family. He is a son of Henry Turk.
 B. G. Wilson is a liberal-minded, open-hearted gentleman, who has seen considerable of the world, and suffered many of its hardships. However, the greater part of his life has been spent in the township. At an early age he was left an orphan, and had to scrabble for himself. After considerable jolting about he made an overland trip to California, in 1849. This was in the time of "the gold excitement." The wagon-train was on the road eight months, and the prospectors subjected to great exposure, and the probabilities of having their hair pulled by the Indians at any time. After seven years in the "country of fabled treasures," he returned to the place of his nativity and engaged in farming.
 Mr. Wilson demonstrated his patriotism by donning the blue in September, 1864. He was a member of the 188th N.Y. Regiment, and participated with his regiment in the engagements fought by it until the close of the war. Previous to his enlistment, Mr. Wilson had been in the Construction Corps. From the exposure to which Mr. Wilson has subjected himself, he is now an invalid and great sufferer. Mrs. Wilson is a daughter of John Pitt, deceased.
 A.G. Lauk is the accommodating station agent and operator at Gilletts, a place which he has filled for six years.
 Hon. J.F. Gillett is one of South Creek's very best citizens, and is entitled to more credit than any other for the up building of Gilletts. He is a kind-hearted man of noble principles, and has always taken a great interest in school and religious matters. His excellent wife is a worthy companion, and the hungry are never turned from their door. Mr. Gillett is engaged largely in lumbering and dairying, and has a fine farm and residence a mile north of Gilletts. A large dairy of high grade Durhams is kept upon the place, and attention given to promiscuous farming. as already stated Mr. Gillett succeeded his father, Asa Gillett, in business, and was a member of the State Legislature.
 Isaac Kiersted handles the saw and the plane in a skillful manner, and has worked at his trade for nearly a score of years. He is associated with G.R. Jenkins, a well skilled mechanic. Mr. Kiersted wore the blue in his country's service for several months.
 We found Dr. C. F. Kiersted and wife most pleasant and hospitable people. The doctor has his pleasant home in the village of Gilletts. With him reside Mrs. Kiersted's aged father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. M.M. Carr, most estimable aged people who spent the greater part of their lives in Wells. We are indebted to them for valuable information, and will again speak of them in connection with the history of Wells.
 We were pleasantly and hospitably entertained by Mr. E. C. Parsons and family at their home at Gilletts. Mr. Parsons is engaged in farming. He is a son of our venerable fried, A.S. Parsons, of Columbia XRoads, and  is a grandson of William Harkness, one of the early settlers of Springfield. He showed us a chair earned by his mother, Eliza Harkness, when a girl. It is an old-fashion rocking chair, and required six weeks of diligent effort to pay for it at fifty cents per week. At the same time she earned her chair, she spun the required number of knots for a day's work, and walked a mile and a half to school. Mr. Parsons married a daughter of Asa Bullock, of Columbia, thus on all sides is a scion of pioneers. He has a son at Ann Arbor University in the department of Law.

November 19, 1885

History of  South Creek

 Mr. M. Harkness has a pleasant place, and fruitful farm near the Springfield line, and is a good tiller of the soil. He carries a good dairy, and gives attention to general farming. A good team is kept and oats and buckwheat are made the leading grains. Mr. M. Harkness is a son of Hiram Harkness, an early settler in that locality. Hiram, with two cousins, William and Stephen Harkness came in from Springfield and cut a large fallow on the place of M. M. Harkness. Hiram remained upon the place, which he subsequently sold to Andrew Kniffin, and moved to the place of Mr. W.C. Cornell, where he made some improvements. Mr. H. finally bought back his place of Mr. Kniffin, and upon it spent the remainder of his days. His widow survives him at the age of 77 years and is in perfect mind and health, save having nearly lost her hearing. In September 1864, M.M. Harkness enlisted in the 141st veteran cavalry, and did service chiefly in Western Virginia. In the Connoy Valley he did station and guard duty.
 Daniel Chase is a gentleman whose time is diligently spent in self-culture in important subjects, and the gleaning of current events. The subject in which he is most interested is agriculture, and he acquaints himself with the advances made in this department and determines their practicability by actual demonstration. Mr. Chase occupies the estate of the late Lewis Williams. The place is a fruitful one and is nicely located. It is conducted in a skillful manner, especial attention being given to the fine dairy of good Jerseys, and general farming. With Mr. Chase lives Mrs. Lewis Williams, from whom we have received many interesting facts. She is an excellent old lay, possessed of a good physique, and clear memory. She will undoubtedly live many years yet; we at least hope so. When the rebel cry of disunion cast a pall of gloom over the nation, one of the first to don the blue was Samuel Chase. In May '61, he enlisted in the 23rd, N.Y. veterans. With this regiment he served for two years and participated in the battles of 2nd Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, and minor engagements. In 1863 he again enlisted in the 1st N.Y. veteran cavalry. He did service in Shenandoah Valley, and West Virginia until the close of the war. He was in a number of engagements during his second enlistment, and was severely wounded in the right arm and side, near Upperville, in the London Valley. He came home with the ball in his body. After he was wounded he rod a distance of ten miles, but was at last required to give up. He stopped at a house and was treated five weeks, when he was able to move out in search of his regiment. The family whose care and hospitality he enjoyed was that of a rebel--
 "Well, to suffer is divine; Pass the watchword down the line,
 Pass the countersign: 'endure.' Not to him who nobly dares,
 But to him, who nobly bears, Is the victor's garland sure."

 J. M. and E.L. Moon are energetic farmers and have charge of the large and fruitful farm of Mrs. DeWaters, of Elmira. It is one of the finest farms in the township and is handsomely located. The place contains a spacious dwelling, and is supplied with all of the modern improvements, machinery of all kinds, and a silo, the only one in the locality. A large dairy is kept upon the place and attention given to Jersey stock. The grains are grown in large quantities, especially buckwheat, oats and barley. Mr. Moon keeps good teams, and has had charge of the farm for five years. He seems the right man in the right place, and Mrs. DeWaters cannot do better than to retain him.
 Capt. E. Robbins is an open-hearted, entertaining gentleman, and is pleasantly located upon a fruitful farm, one of the best in the township. He has formerly given considerable attention to dairying but has quit it, and now carries young stock, giving especial attention to the growing of hay and grain. Mr. Robbins occupies the Alanson Lewis place, having moved there seventeen years since from Steuben county, N.Y. With him resides his aged mother, who was born at "Painted Post", N.Y. in 1799. The origin of the name of her birth place is so called from the fact that many years ago the Indians murdered some of the white people there, and painted posts with the gore. It was accordingly called "Painted Post," and has since borne that name. To remember this event of savage cruelty, and to mark the place, a post has ever since been kept painted red. Mrs. Robbins is an active lady considering her age. She keeps her own room, and does her own cooking, etc. She is yet possessed of a good memory, and recites many interesting facts of early times and events of the war of 1812. In Sept. 1862, Mr. Robbins joined the 16th Pa. cavalry as a private soldier and by bravery and meritorious won for himself the rank of  Captain before the close of the great American conflict. He was wounded at Travillian station, but as soon his wound would permit he was again back with his company, and served faithfully until the close of the war.
 "Crowns are not alone of gold,
 Diadems are bought and sold;
 But the crowns that good men own,
 Come from noble deeds alone."
 Philander Furman has one of the most desirable and productive farms in South Creek, and is an open-hearted gentleman, who conducts his business in a careful manner. Scarcely a rod of untillable land can be found upon his finely watered farm. Mr. F. makes dairying a specialty, though general farming is conducted skillfully. He has the improved appliances for conducting is dairy. Some attention is given to young stock. Mr. Furman occupies the place upon which one Hoots began. He is a son of Peter Furman, an early settler at Columbia X Roads, Columbia township.
 James Burnham is a sort of local Mark Twain for his young companions, and if timidity on "tender subjects," be a criterion for a great hero, he is a second Phil. Sheridan. However, "Jimmie" is a wide-awake young farmer, and has a fruitful and handsome farm. He occupies the place which was first improved by Valentine Lewis. A fine dairy of blooded stock is kept and attention given to young stock and sheep. Oats and buckwheat are made the leading crops. James Burnham is a son of James Burnham, a native of England, who was an inhabitant of the township for a quarter of a  century. He died in 1881.
 G.V. Ward is located in this same pleasant locality, and has a good little farm. He carries a small dairy and gives some attention to young stock. He is a son of Harris Ward, a native of New York, who settled and died in the township.
 Heman Lewis is one of the most thriving, and enterprising farmers of the township, and has one of the very best farms in South Creek. It is supplied with all of the most modern appliances for carrying on this industry, and is well stocked. He is domiciled as happily as a prince in a neat and spacious mansion, and is surrounded by all of the luxuries that contribute to man's earthly enjoyment. The farm is handsomely located, and is properly furnished with neat and spacious outbuildings. A good dairy is kept, and young stock carried in large numbers. Especial attention is given to horses, and Mr. Lewis deals in them largely. All the cereals are grown successfully and abundantly. Mr. Lewis occupies the Goddard place and a part of the Thompson property. He is a son of Valentine Lewis, a native of New York State, who died in the township at the age of 85 years.
 G.H. Thompson has charge of the fine and fruitful place of his brother, S.L. Thompson, upon which their father, Wm. Thompson, began. The farm is well improved and is properly supplied with outbuildings. Mr. Thompson is a careful and enterprising farmer. The fine Jersey dairy upon the place, is the finest of the kind in the township. The native grains are grown successfully, and good horses are kept upon the place.
 A visit was pleasantly spent with Wm. Fletcher, and much interesting knowledge gathered. He is an open-hearted gentleman, and most excellent citizen. Mr. Fletcher came to the township in 1838 from Candor, N.Y., when the township was yet a wilderness, and he with pride points to many notable changes. He says, "The people had to frequently pay as high as $2 per bushel for corn, and go to Williamsport after it. The early settlers were required to labor in the hayfield, near Elmira, to provide provisions when they were starting, etc. Mr. F. is now a gentleman of 70 years, is in good physical condition, and is blessed with unimpaired memory. He has followed farming the greater part of his life, but for some years has given attention to the spiritual wants of man. He has voted but twice in 25 years, and these votes were cast for his townsman John E. Gillett, and Peter J. Dean. He is naturally a Republican, but despises politics.
 David Chase occupies the ancestral estate of his father, Joseph Chase, and though he has met with misfortune, "he holds his head up like a man, and remembers the poet's prayer:
  If I must afflicted  be,   To suit some wise design;
  Then man my soul with firm resolves, To bear and not repine!"

You are the visitor since the counter was installed on June 24, 1999