Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History - Bradford County PA
Scanned from photo purchased by JMT in antique shop
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
Standing Stone Township Page
Table of Contents Bradford County Section of Outline History
Schools and Churches of the Tri-Counties
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce 
ReTyped for Tri-Counties by Pat SMITH Raymond . 
Book Submitted by Walt Samson
HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company, Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND CITIES"


 Standing Stone township was formed in 1841, taken from Herrick and Wysox.  It is bounded on the north by Herrick, on the east by Herrick, on the south by Wyalusing and the Susquehanna river, on the west by Susquehanna river and Wysox.  It is one of the oldest settled townships in the county of Bradford, and its name Standing Stone given it by reason of a certain large stone standing in the west bank of the Susquehanna river, has distinguished it from the earliest history of the Susquehanna valley.  Settlements were commenced in the present limits of the township previous to the revolutionary war; under Connecticut titles.
 The Lehigh Valley railroad runs through the township from north to south following the valley of the Susquehanna, and have two stations, Rummerfield and Standing Stone.  Along the valley of the Susquehanna the soil is very productive, being a rich alluvial deposit.  The soil upon the uplands to the eastward are being cultivated, and are becoming very well adapted to grazing and the dairy.  The town is watered by the Susquehanna river, Rummerfield and Fitch’s Creeks.
 The early settlers were Lemuel Fitch, Simon Spalding, Henry Birney, Anthony Rummerfield, Richard Fitzgerald, Richard Loomis, Walter Walters, John Bigelow, Jr., Nathaniel Walters, Stephen Wilcox, Elisha Satterlee, David McCormick, Peter Loop, Walter Westover, Abram Westbrook, William Jackson, Amos Bennett, Silas Beardsley, Theophilus Moyer, Henry Birney, John Hutchinson, Samuel Gorden, Jonathan Stevens, William Houch, Anthony LaFever, Peter Miller, Jacob Primer, (colored,) Cherick Westbrook, Henry Van Curen, David Hawley, David Eicklor, Cornelius Ennis, Levi Ennis, Hiram Gorden.
 --Johathan Stevens, an early settler of Standing Stone, served three years in the continental army.
--The lands in Standing Stone township were among the first grants made by the Susquehanna
   Land Company in Bradford county, having been sold to David Smith, in 1774.

You are the visitor to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June 25, 1999