Tri-Counties Genealogy &
History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice October 1998
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
Tuscarora township was formed in 1830, taken
from Wyalusing. It is situated in the south eastern portion of Bradford
county. Its surface is hilly and uneven, but well adapted to grazing
and the dairy. It is bounded on the north by Pike, on the east by
Susquehanna county, on the south by Wyoming county, on the west by the
Susquehanna river and the township of Wyalusing. There are several
small lakes in the township, in the highlands, and the streams are Tuscarora,
Little Tuscarora and Stephens’ creeks. The Susquehanna river touches
its western border.
The early settlers were Joseph Wharton, Elihue
Hall, Elihue Hall Jr., Jacob Gray, D. D. Gray, Thomas Morley, Stephen Beeman,
Edward Coggswell, Elisha Coggswell, James Black, Harry Ackley, Jacob Huff,
Reuben Shumway, Stephen Bowen, Williank Cling, Daniel Johnson, Jeremiah
Lewis, Chester Wells, Oliver Sisson, Julius Coggswell, Joseph C. Town,
John Clink, Benjamin Hurlburt, Amos Hurlburt, John Maxfield, Dr. Ebenezer
Beeman, Alpheus Crawford, Daniel L. Crawford, David Lacey, Emanuel Silvara,
Burrows Dowdney, Abiel Keeney, David Dare, Jacob Huff, Daniel Merritt,
Martin Lyon, Moses Rowley, Stephen Richards, Israel Stark.
--The first white child born in the township
was Marinda Coggswell, in 1811.
--The First death was Oliver Sission, in 1809.
--Rev. D. D. Gray settled in Tuscarora, in
--Tuscarora was originally known as “Spring
--Ludd Gaylord built the first saw mill in
the township, in 1818.
--The first settler of Tuscarora was Joseph
Wharton, in 1775.
--Jacob Huff, an early settler, was a soldier
in the revolutionary war.
--Elisha Coggswell, an early settler, was
a soldier of the war of 1812.
--Rev. John Hazzard was the first resident
minister in Tuscarora, in 1818.
--The Lehigh Valley railroad touches the southwest
corner of Tuscarora township.
--John Morely and Orilla Coggswell were married
in 1816, the first marriage in the township.
--Rev. Bela Coggswell was about fifty successive
years pastor of the Free Will Baptist church at Tuscarora.
--Bela Coggswell an old settler of Tuscarora
township, commenced preaching when he was only sixteen years of age.
--Silvaraville Lodge No. 887, I. O. O. F.,
was instituted Nov. 11, 1874. First officer, J. J. Culver,
N. G.; William Christain, V. G.; E. L. Taylor, Sec.
--The township derives its name from the fact
that at the mouth of Tuscarora creek, an ancient village of the Tuscarora
tribe of Indians existed.
--Silvaraville in Tuscarora township is named
in honor of Emanuel Silvara, a native of Portugal. When Silvara was a lad
he attempted to smuggle his passage from Portugal to America, was Discovered
and sold into service by the captain of the vessel. After serving
three years he came To Tuscarora and commenced life, being scarcely able
to speak a word of English. He Prospered and became one of the prominent
citizens of the town.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June