Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Postcard from Marolyn CAMPBELL Cole
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
Ulster was one of the original townships and
was formed previous to the organization of Bradford county. It is
bounded on the north by Athens, on the east, by the Susquehanna river,
on the south, by North Towanda and Burlington, on the west by Smithfield
and Burlington. It is situated on the west bank of the Susquehanna,
embracing some very fertile and productive lands upon the river flats,
and fine grazing and dairy farms upon the uplands. Ulster, a village
in the township, on the line Lehigh Valley railroad, is located upon the
site of an ancient Indian village. Milan is a village also upon the
line of the railroad and a station.
The early settlers were Captain Benjamin Clark,
Nathaniel Hovey, Solomon Tracy, Adriel Simons, Eli Holcomb, Capt. Isaac
Cash, David Cash, Abram Parmeter, Chester Bingham, Osias Bingham, W. Rice,
Elijah Granger, Thomas Overton, Abraham Brokaw, Leonard Westbrook, Joseph
C. Powell, Joseph Smith, Lockwood Smith, Ezekiel Curry, Ezekiel Curry Jr.,
Abraham Minier, William Lockery, Joseph Lockery, Jeduthan Simons, Peter
McAuley, George A. VanDyke, Simons C. Hovey.
--An epidemic fever prevailed in Ulster in
--Captain Benjamin Clark, Adriel Simons, Solomon
Tracey and Captain Isaac Cash, were early settlers of Ulster and did service
in the revolutionary war.
--Great flood in the Susquehanna, in 1786.
--Lorin Kingsbury taught the first school
--Eli Holcomb built the first saw mill in
Ulster, in 1817.
--Captain Benjamin Clark built the first house
in Ulster, in 1785.
--Capt. Benjamin Clark, was the first permanent
settler of Ulster in 1785.
--Five-hundred shad were caught at a single
haul with a seine, in the river at Ulster in 1810.
--Old Sheshquin was the original name of Ulster.
Ulster was named by the Susquehanna Land Company.
--The Pennsylvania, New York Canal Railroad,
now under the control of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, was constructed
through Ulster in 1868.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June