Tri-Counties Genealogy &
History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joan NASH O'Dell May 1999
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
Wells township was formed in 1813, taken from
Smithfield. It is bounded on the north by the New York State line;
on the east by South Creek; on the south by Columbia; on the west by Tioga
County, Pa. It is situated in the extreme north-west portion of Bradford
County. Seeley Creek rises in the township and flows northward and
eastward into the Chemung River, in Tioga County, Pa. The surface
is broken, but well adapted to grazing and the dairy. There are three
post-offices in the township. The Tioga and Elmira State Line Railroad
touches its north-western boundary.
Its early settlers were Rev. John Smith, Austin
Reeder, Vincent Reeder, Lemuel Gaylord, Solomon Judson, Ithamar Judson,
Silas Waldron, John Osgood, John Osgood, Jr., Isaac Judson, Samuel Edsall,
Adam Seeley, Thomas Osgood, Shuabel Rowley, Shuabel Rowley, Jr., James
Rowley, Jonathan Rowley, Benjamin Seeley, Squire Hyde, George Rowley, Peter
Rowley, William Ingalls, Samuel Ingalls, Thomas Warner, Truman Warner,
James Warner, Hiram Warner, James Gordon, Ralph Bovier, David Griswold,
Peabody Keys, Peter P. French.
--Wells was named in honor of General Henry
--Mrs. Lemuel Gaylord taught the first school,
--The first permanent settler was Rev. John
Smith, in 1792.
--Peter P. French built the first saw mill
in Wells township, in 1824.
--William R. Wilson, son of an early settler,
was in the Mexican war, in 1846.
--Mary Reeder, daughter of Vincent Reeder,
was the first death in the township.
--The first post-office was established in
1826, Peter P. French was the first post master.
--Wells township sent one hundred and thirteen
soldiers into the union army during the late rebellion.
--Shubael Rowley, Jr., an old settler, was
justice of the peace in Wells township for twenty-two years.
--Shubale Rowley, Solomon Judson, Thomas Warner,
were early settlers and soldiers in the revolutionary war.
--Gersom Davis, of Wells, and his eight sons
were in the union army during the late rebellion; his sons names were Lewis,
Edson, Charles, Thomas, John, George, William, Samuel.
--Rev. Joel Jewell preached twenty-five years
in the township of Wells.
--Nathan Shepard, Sr., William S. Ingalls,
Shuabel Rowley, Jr., John Fitzsimmons, Strong Seeley, Amos Baker, William
Osgood, Theopolis Moore, Israel Moore, Partial Mapes, Searles Barrett,
Jesse Edsall, Richard Edsall, Joseph Capron, Thomas Ferguson were early
settlers and soldiers in the war of 1812.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June