Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice May 1999
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
The township of Wysox was formed in 1795.
It is now bounded on the north, by Rome township, on the east, by Orwell,
Herrick and Standing Stone, on the south, by the Susquehanna river, on
the west, by the Susquehanna river and Sheshequin. The soil is highly
productive. The streams of the township are Susquehanna river and
Wysox creek. The Lehigh Valley Railroad passes through the township.
Meyersburg and Wysox are post towns and villages in the township.
The first settlers were Isaac Van Valkenburg,
Herman Van Valkenburg, Sebastian Strope, Isaac Strope, Roswell Franklin,
Benjamin Clark, Jehiel Franklin, Job Irish, Jesse Allen, Ralph Martin,
Moses Coolbaugh, Ashahel Roberts, William Coolbaugh, John Hinman, James
Lewis, Aaron Dean, Adam Mann, Nathaniel Moyer, John Parks, Moses Moody,
Willard Green, Adrian Manville, Wilbur Bennett, Robert Bennett, Joshua
Shores, Stephen Strickland, Jacob Strickland, Israel Atherton, Theopholis
Moyer, Zackariah Price, Jacob Myer, William Myer, Nathaniel Heacock, Amos
Mix, Burr Ridgway, Naptalea Woodburn, Elijah Tracey, Elisha Whitney, J.
W. Piolett, Doctor Seth D. Barstow, Stephen Pierce, Shepard Pierce, Samuel
--The 4th of July was celebrated at Wysox in
--The first school was taught by Isaac Strope
--Wysox is an Indian word, and signifies “Canoe
--Moses Coolbaugh was the first Justice of
the Peace in 1800.
--Theopholis Moyer built the first framed
house in Wysox, in 1800.
--John Hinman erected a saw mill in 1793,
the first in Wysox township.
--The Strope family, early pioneers, were
taken prisoners by the Indians.
--The name by which Wysox was known under
the Connecticut title, was Claverack.
--Roswell Franklin, an old settler in Wysox
built the first house in Cayuga county, New York.
--J. W. Piolett was a captain in the French
army under Napoleon, and came to America in 1801.
--Sebastian Strope, John Strope, Roswell Franklin,
Jesse Allen, Joshua Shores, Nathaniel Heacock, Amos Mix, Elisha
Whitney, early settlers of Wysox and soldiers in the revolutionary
--Hon. Victor E. Piolett, a distinguished
farmer and prominent citizen resides at Wysox. He has represented
the county in the State Legislature and held other responsible positions.
He has been a life long Democrat.
--Hon. E. Reed Myer, of Myersburg, in Wysox
township, has several times represented Bradford county in the State Legislature,
been speaker of the House. He has been a prominent and influential
Republican in Bradford county.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June