History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
WILLIAM F. ROSS, farmer, Smithfield township, P. O. Burlington, was born, April 21, 1821, in Burlington, this county, a son of John and Hannah (Head) Ross, natives of Pennsylvania, of Irish and Dutch ancestry. The father was a blacksmith in Burlington borough many years, and died in Granville, at the age of ninety-three; the mother died in Ulster, at about the same age. The grandfather, David Ross, was a pioneer of Burlington, settling, in the early part of this century, about one and one-half miles east of the borough, where he cleared a large farm; he died in Granville at the age of sixty-four years. William F. Ross learned the blacksmith’s trade with his father, which he has continued most of his life; recently he purchased a farm in the south part of Smithfield, where he now resides. On February 15, 1842, he married Clarissa, daughter of Thomas and Betsey (Law) Smith, natives of Newburg, and of Welsh and Irish origin (she was born in Newburg, N. Y., February 23, 1820; her parents came to Bradford county, in 1825, settling in Burlington, and on a claim at Mountain Lake, and cleared the farm now owned by David S. Lenox, where he died at the age of eighty-one years, and the mother aged eighty-two). Mr. and Mrs. Ross have had six children, as follows: Marion, Wilmot (deceased), Devellum, Edith, Isabell and Arthur. Wilmot was a soldier in the Civil War, and lost his life there, and the mother now draws a pension on his account. Mr. Ross is a Republican. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
DEVELLUM ROSS, farmer, P. O. Burlington, was born in Columbia township, this county, July 29, 1849, a son of William F. and Clarissa L. (Smith) Ross, the former of English and Irish extraction, a native of Burlington, and the latter of Welsh origin, a native of Newburg, N. Y., both of whom are living. The father had been a blacksmith a great many years, mostly at Burlington, but is now a farmer in Smithfield; his parents were John and Hannah (Head) Ross, the father a native of Pennsylvania. The paternal great-great-grandfather of our subject was David Ross, one of the pioneers of Burlington, and experienced all of the privations of the early settlers; he settled on a claim about one-half mile east of the village, and was a farmer all of his life. Our subject was reared on a farm, and when he reached his majority was engaged in farming on his own account. He is now the owner of a fine farm in a beautiful location on a high elevation in the north part of the township; he is mostly engaged in raising horses, with a general farming business. He was twice married; his first wife was Elizabeth Fletcher, of Smithfield, born in 1851, died August 6, 1887, and on May 27, 1888, he married Mrs. Nellie (Camp) Gustin, of Burlington (she was born in Herrick township, April 21, 1856, a daughter of Hiram and Margaret (Lum) Camp, old settlers of that township). Mrs. Ross has one daughter by her former husband, Florence M., born July 16, 18--. Mr. Ross is a Republican in politics, but takes no great interest in the affairs of the party. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is one of the substantial business men of the community.
JOHN H. ROWE, farmer, Smithfield township, P. O. Ulster, born in Smithfield, this county, February 7, 1844, a son of William L. and Rhoda A. (Williams) Rowe, the former a native of New Jersey and the latter of Connecticut. The father came to this county in 1825, and was a journeyman shoemaker and a great traveler. The Williams were among the first settlers in Smithfield. Mr. Rowe, who is the fifth in a family of ten children, was reared on his father’s farm, and educated in the schools of the township. When he was seventeen years of age he enlisted in Company H, Fifty-seventh P. V. I., and was in the service over three years, in twenty-five hard-fought battles and numerous minor engagements. He was wounded twice, and was a prisoner four months in Belle Isle and Libby Prison; he is a pensioner and a member of G. A. R. On May 10, 1868, Mr. Rowe married Ann Elizabeth Smith, of Smithfield, who was born September 1, 1848. they have had one child, Arthur M., born November 21, 1874. Mr. Rowe has been a successful man, and is now the owner of a fine, well-improved farm; he is a Republican in politics, and takes an active interest in the affairs of the party.
WILLIAM S. ROWE, mechanic, Orwell, was born in South Danby, N. Y., August 4, 1838, and is a son of John and Rebecca (Struble) Rowe, the former of whom was a native of New Haven, Conn., and the latter of Ithaca, N. Y., both of English origin. His father was born in 1794, a son of Robert Rowe, also a native of Connecticut; of his grandfather’s family, he has remembrance of four boys and two girls, of whom Ira and Henry lived their lives out in Connecticut, John (the father), came to Bradford and located in Rome, and Truman also came to Bradford, locating in Springfield township; of the girls, Jane remained in Connecticut, while Larinda came to Bradford, married Mr. Olmstead and located in Sayre. John Rowe, father of subject, was a farmer, and came here in 1840, buying the tract of land now owned by Frank VanLoon, but sold and removed to Sheshequin, where he died July 6, 1870. He was three times married, the first time to Rebecca Struble, by whom he had the following children: Ira and James, deceased; Wealthy Ann, married to Daniel Eiklor; Larinda, married to Ezra Chandler; Elizabeth, married to Hiram Morris, both deceased; Sarah, married to Austin Russell; William S.; Rebecca, deceased; Sarah, married to Austin Russell; William S.; Rebecca, deceased. His second wife was Lucinda Fletcher, by whom he had the following children: James F.; Catherine, married to Jesse Denmark. His third wife was Mrs. Abigail Jane Lines, widow of Harry Lines, of Connecticut, daughter of John and Margaret (Strope) Parks; by her fist marriage she had the following children: Elizabeth M., Mrs. Rowe; Mary A., married to Albert Conklin, whom she survives; John M.; Elmira R., married to Dillis Bennett; Morris H. By her second marriage she had the following: twin daughter, Ada and Ida, married to List Chilson and James Lockabee, respectively; Elashu W. and Frank Henry. The mother died when W. S. Rowe was four years old, and when thirteen he left his father’s home and went to Peter Allen’s; then to Harry Clark’s, where he made his home until he reached his majority. He received a common-school education, and worked on the farm. He began working at his trade of mason after reaching his majority, and soon became an expert at it, and has been doing extensive contract work on bridges, etc., during the past twelve years. Mr. Rowe was united in wedlock, November 8, 1855, with Elizabeth M. Liens, and has had a family of eight children, as follows: Mary A., born September 25, 1856, married to Landon Jackson, of Warren, Pa.; Leslie O., born July 12, 1858, died, aged seven; Lottie J., born January 29, 1860, married to Charles W. Liens, of Connecticut; resides in Orwell; Ida E., born November 19, 1864, died in infancy; Leslie E., born March 27, 1866, and died at the age of four years; Charles E., born February 16, 1868, died in his second year; Francis W., born December 25, 1874, and is residing with his parents. The family worship at the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a Republican. Mr. and Mrs. Rowe have lived in their present residence since 1859, where they enjoy the society of a large circle of friends and neighbors.
WALTER V. ROWE, mechanic, Orwell, was born in Orwell township, this county, December 15, 1862, spent his boyhood there and attended the common schools, and the academy at Orwell Hill. When nineteen years of age he found employment in a music store at Owego, with John Thompson, and was there three years; then went to work with his father to learn the trade of a stone-mason, and has followed that occupation six years. The principal part of his work has been done on this side of the river, working mostly with his father, and assisting him on the public works in this county, but he sometimes takes work on his own account. On November 1, 1886, he married Lizzie, second child of William and Mary (Yetter) Middaugh, and to this union have been born three children; Lottie, born August 26, 1887; Charles, born November 6, 1888, and Ethel, born August 26, 1890. Mr. Rowe has been for some time engaged in buying and shipping hay and buckwheat. He is recognized as one of the thrifty and industrious men of the county; politically he is a Republican.
PROF. LINCOLN E. ROWLEY, principal of schools, Athens, is a native of Schoharie county, N. Y., a son of Alfred W. and Susan (Defandorf) Rowley, natives of New York State, the former of whom was a farmer and died in Schoharie county, N. Y., in February, 1887, in his sixty-sixth year; Susan Rowley died in 1867, in her forty-fifth year. Lincoln E. Rowley, who is the youngest in a family of six children, was graduated at Cazenovia Seminary, Madison county, N. Y., in the spring of 1884, and attended the Syracuse University two years. He was elected principal of the public and high schools of Sidney, N. Y., in the fall of 1886; he was elected principal of the Athens schools in 1889, and re-elected in 1890 and 1891. Prof. Rowley was united in marriage at Sidney, N. Y., with Miss Martha Butler, a daughter of William and Catherine (Chawogo) Butler, natives of N. Y., and is the eldest in a family of three children. Prof. and Mrs. Rowley are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; politically he is a Republican.
A. RUFF, superintendent for E. B. Stone & Company, Wyalusing, was born in Stroudsburg, Monroe Co., Pa., a son of Godfrey and Catherine (Posinger) Ruff. His father was born in Veternburg, Germany, and his mother in this State, her parents being natives of Germany; his parents reside in Wyalusing. Godfrey Ruff was a soldier in the Civil War, and is a pensioner. their daughter, Clara, married Henry Smith, a hardware merchant of Wyalusing, and is deceased; Frank, the eldest of the family, died in 1891, at Wyalusing; Steward, brakeman on the Lehigh Valley Railroad, resides at Wyalusing. A. Ruff, the subject of this sketch, passed his boyhood in the vicinity of Stroudsburg, and until sixteen attended the schools of that city, then followed farming until 1880, when he came to Wyalusing, and shortly afterward entered the employ of Bosworth, Stone & Company, where he has, by close application to business, and careful watch over his employer’s interest, climbed steadily toward the top, until he now fills the position of general superintendent. He was united in Marriage, October 17, 1883, with Minnie R. Gaylord, daughter of Joseph and Lorinda H. (Jayne) Gaylord. this union has been blessed with four children: Charles S., born February 25, 1885; Anna L., born March 12, 1886; Joseph G., born January 8, 1888, and Emma, born November 25, 1889. Mr. ruff is identified with the Democratic party; has held the various town and borough offices, and is now auditor. He has made his way without assistance, and has been very successful. He owns a beautiful home at the corner of Senate and Second streets, which he built in 1885.
DAVID M. RUNDELL, farmer, P. O. West Burlington, was born in Burlington, this county, October 21, 1851, a son of Lorenzo M. and Susan (Lane) Rundell, natives of Bradford county, the former of French origin, the latter of Irish. The father, who was a Methodist preacher many years, spent the latter part of his life on the farm, and died in 1880, at the age of sixty-three years; the mother, now aged sixty-six years, is living with her son. The grandfathers were both pioneers and preachers in the Methodist Church; the maternal grandfather died about 1831, at the age of sixty years. Mr. Rundell was married October 21, 1879, to Letie McKean, of West Burlington, who was born October 21, 1857, a daughter of Jesse B. and Mary (Van Dyke) McKean, farmers and natives of this county, of Scotch-Irish origin, the former of whom died January 10, 1891, at the age of seventy-four years; the mother is living with her daughter at the age of seventy years. Grandfather Van Dyke was one of the pioneers of Towanda township. to Mr. and Mrs. Rundell have been born two children: Clare, born in 1881, and Bertha, born 1885. The family reside on the old McKean homestead, a fine farm of 145 acres, which Mr. Rundall owns as well as two other farms of sixty-five and eight-three acres, respectively, also in Burlington township; dairying, sheep-raising and tobacco-growing are here carried on quite extensively; the eighty-three-acre farm lies on the shore of the famous Mountain Lake on which Mr. Rundell contemplates opening a fine summer resort. He is a Republican, and has been assessor and held other offices of public trust. The family are consistent and faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a steward, and they are workers in the Sundayschool.
WILLIAM S. RUNDELL, farmer, P. O. Towanda, was born in Burlington township, this county, May 10, 1824, and is a son of David and Polly (Ensign) Rundell. David Rundell came to this State from France when a young man, and was a pioneer Protestant Methodist preacher, and was one of the founders of that church in America. He rode on horseback many thousands of miles over the mountains of Pennsylvania, and made the trip a great many times between his home and Philadelphia. He was at one time the owner of the Minnequa Springs farm, and at the time of his death had improved it and given it some of its reputation as a health resort. Willaim S. Rundell is the youngest in a family of nine children; he was married November 17, 1843, to Nancy, the eldest of the five children of Joshua and Polly (Gregg) Bailey, of French ancestry, born February 26, 1825, in the township in which she now resides. They have had ten children, four of whom are now living, as follows: Milton L., born April 15, 1846; Lorenzo B., born July 3, 1848; William A., born May 11, 1857; and Nancy A., born May 19, 1865, all of whom are married and prosperous. Mr. Rundell settled on his present farm forty-one years ago, and has since lived here, an honorable and honored citizen, and a prosperous tiller of the soil. His farm is under a fine state of cultivation, while with his general farming he has combined that of tobacco and stock-raising. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., a Republican in politics, but independent in his voting, and has been a school director for seventeen years.
ASA RUSSELL, a farmer, P. O. Orwell, was born in Orwell township, this county, December 25, 1853, and is a son of Burton and Sallie (Elsworth) Russell. His father was a son of Dan Russell, the first settler of Orwell township, who came from Vermont and settled on Wysox creek, in 1796. Burton Russell was born in Orwell township, September 8, 1806, and was married March 16, 1831. His family consisted of the following children: Mary A., born November 12, 1833, married to William Harrington; Helen M., born June 7, 1836, married to Amos Jillson; Dan E., born December 29, 1839, married to Mathilda Maston; Sophronia L., born May 21, 1842 died March 2, 1845; Mercur J., born November 8, 1844, married to Anna Statia Russell, November 9, 1869; Ralph L., born February 8, 1847, married to Mary Kennedy; Samuel C., born May 6, 1851, died July 26, 1868, and Asa. the father died in 1877, and the mother July 6, 1870. Burton Russell was reared on the old Russell homestead, which is now occupied by Stephen Russell, and, after reaching his majority, removed to the neighborhood where Asa now lives, and settled on a tract of the wilderness, which he at once commenced to improve, and built the first frame house in that neighborhood, and owned about six hundred acres of land, and some of the buildings he erected are yet standing. He had to make a journey to Harrisburg on foot, to complete his title. He followed lumbering extensively, and made numerous trips on rafts down the Susquehanna river. Asa passed his boyhood on the farm, and received his education in the common school and at Orwell Hill Academy; when eighteen years old he commenced teaching, and taught three winters in Montour county, and two in Luzerne, then came home and has followed farming since. He now owns 110 acres of fine farm land, which he has improved by erecting comfortable and commodious farm buildings, and has his farm well stocked. He was united in wedlock, July 4, 1876, with Sarah Hendershot, of Orwell, and to them have been born three children: Harry L., born November 15, 1883; Gertie, born July 26, 1887, and Mabel, born January 21, 1889.
Mercur J. Russell was born and reared on a farm, has successfully followed farming, and now owns eighty acres of highly improved land. He has a family of three children: Cora, Burton and John M. Both brothers are members of the K. of H., and are stanch Republicans in their politics.
CHARLES P. RUSSELL, farmer and stock-grower, of Windham township, P. O. Lix, is a native of Rome township, this county, born May 22, 1834, and is a son of Reuben and Sarah (Eiklor) Russell, of Pennsylvania and New York, respectively, and of remote Irish and German extraction. The father, who was a carpenter and a well-esteemed and good citizen, died in 1876; the mother survives. In their family were ten children, of whom Charles P. is the sixth. He was reared in the place of his nativity, and had access to the schools of the vicinity in a moderate way, but sufficient for a fair education in the rudiments of learning, and during his minority he learned the carpenter’s trade in his father’s shop. These were his only aids in starting in life for himself. On August 5, 1862, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-first Regiment, P. V. I., company I. To name the command he was in tells the terrible story of war for all its members, a regiment that stands pre-eminent in the annals of that struggle. At the battle of Fredericksburg the first and second fingers of his right hand were taken off by a gunshot, and he had to go three days before he could secure a surgeon’s attention; in the meantime lockjaw and death impended. Afterward he was attacked with typhoid fever, and also small-pox, and finally was discharged from the hospital and service and returned home. Mr. Russell was married in Sheshequin, to Mrs. Clotilda Chandler, daughter of Nathaniel and Catherine Conrad, natives of New York, she being the second in a family of nine children. Her first husband was Allen Chandler, who died in the army, a soldier in Company D, Seventeenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and when his regiment was captured on the Potomac he escaped, but from exposure he contracted a fatal sickness. He left one child, Linda J., wife of George Strope. Mr. and Mrs. Charles P. Russell have one child, Allen, who is a farmer. Our subject and wife live on the farm owned by the latter.
JUDGE C. S. RUSSELL is the leader in the insurance and real estate businesses in Towanda. He is a native of the county, having been born in Windham township, May 13, 1824. His parents, Julius and Eliza (Seymour) Russell, came from Connecticut, and were of the distinguished stock which has faced and subdued all obstacles and hardships in making the country what it now is. The grandfather, John Russell, following the westward current of his day, removed West, in the 1800, and settled in the town of Owego, Tioga co., N. Y., but on account of continued sickness in his family returned to Connecticut in 1804. In 1814 he again turned his steps westward, and this time became a citizen of this county by purchasing a farm, and settled in Orwell township, bringing with him Julius (the sixth of seven sons), who was born in 1796, and was eighteen years of age when the family came to this county. The young man remained with his parents (to whom eight daughters were also born) until he was twenty-one, when he returned to the old home in Connecticut, where he learned a trade, and in 1823 was married to Eliza Seymour, who came with him to Bradford county, and to the small dwelling prepared for them in Windham township. they were diligent in work, as they had chosen it, careful in the management of the farm and solicitous for the welfare of the children who came to brighten their home and assist their labors. The respect which they commanded at home widened in its circle of influence, and in 1842, by an almost spontaneous movement, the people elected Julius Russell to the office of register and recorder of the county. He had not long been installed in office when circumstances determined him to bring his son Chauncey, then eighteen years old, to Towanda, to make him clerk and, if competent, his deputy in office. The proposal was to the young man like thunder from the clear sky. His horizon of work had been bounded by the labors and duties of the farm, and any reasonable ambition might well be satisfied in the grand work of developing the new country. But the father had command of the situation, and with reluctance the young man left his first home and entered the register and recorder’s office at the county seat. This was the first turning point of his life, for from that day he has been a citizen of Towanda. His father continued for a quarter of a century to watch the son’s progress, and died in 1868, at the old farm home, full of years, and the respect of all who knew him, followed to his grave by a wide circle of friends.
The son progressed rapidly as deputy in his father’s office, fully mastering the business, and by his suavity, promptness and diligence making himself acceptable to all. When his father’s term of office had passed, he was tendered the place of deputy prothonotary, and was in this position from 1845 to 1848, when he was appointed clerk to the commissioners of the county, and continued in that office until 1851. He then left the court-house and engaged in the hardware trade in Towanda, with D. C. Hall as a partner, and soon had built an extensive trade. Closing out this establishment in 1858, he accepted the employ of the Farmers’ Union Insurance Company, of Athens, and was its secretary and traveling agent two years. In 1860, in company with John A. Codding, he returned to the hardware business and, resuming at the old stand, and so remained until 1876. In 1873 he was nominated by the Democracy for the office of associate judge, and in the face of and adverse majority of 4,000 he was elected, the only Democrat on the ticket who did not suffer defeat. He was the last associate judge of Bradford county, and it will remain a part of the history of the county that his influence was manifest far more during his term than had ever been the case with any other associate judge in this portion of the State. He honestly believed that saloon licenses were not a public necessity, and, having the courage of his convictions, it is only necessary to say that the last two years of his incumbency of the judgeship Bradford was a “dry county,” so far as saloons were concerned. Since 1876 he has been engaged in insurance and real estate, and conducts an extensive business. He filled the responsible position of burgess of Towanda eight successive years. As a businessman, farmer, official both in county and borough, he has ever maintained a high position of respectability and public confidence, possessing a moral courage that has never been questioned, and his honor as a man and official has never even been discussed.
Judge Russell was married in Wysox township, September 20, 1853, to Miss Mary P., daughter of Robert and Aurelia (Satterlee) Spalding, a great-granddaughter of Gen. Spalding of Revolutionary fame, and, on her mother’s side of the line of Elisha Satterlee, one of the distinguished early pioneers. Judge and Mrs. Russell are members of the Universalist Church, of which he is secretary and trustee. He is a prominent Mason of the thirty-second degree, and is one of the oldest members of the fraternity in the county. He has likewise for many years filled official and foremost places in the Order of Odd Fellowship. He is a man of such broad and generous public spirit that he sacrificed a fortune of no small proportions trying to develop the manufacturing interests of the county, and then commenced again at the bottom of the ladder to toil and climb toward the top, and success crowned his efforts.
DANIEL E. RUSSELL, postmaster, Windham Centre, one of the prominent citizens of Windham township, was born in Orwell township, this county, December 29, 1839, a son of Burton and Sally (Ellsworth) Russell, natives of Bradford county. the Russells have always been agricultural people. The father died on his farm in 1877, having been preceded to the grave by his companion and helpmeet in 1872. Their family consisted of six children, of whom Daniel E. is the third in the order of birth. He spent his young life and grew to manhood on his father’s farm in Orwell, was educated in the public schools, and commenced life on his own account a farmer, and in time became the possessor of 110 acres of farm land and a pleasant home, which, owing to wounds received in the army, he was compelled to sell on account of physical inability to attend to the same. He was married in Litchfield township to Nancy M., daughter of James R. and Thedotia (Merrill) Mastin, of New York and Pennsylvania, respectively. He enlisted in the army in 1864 in company E, One Hundred and Seventy-ninth Regiment New York Infantry. He was in the Army of the Potomac in front of Petersburg. October 12, 1864, while assisting to mount a large cannon at Fort Welch, a shot from the enemy struck the fort, and the shock and fall that he received caused paralysis, from which he has but partially recovered. He was sent to the hospital at City Point, then to Alexandria, where he was discharged March 7, 1865, Cyrus Cook, an uncle, was obliged to take him home, and even when he bought his farm he had to be carried on a bed to see it.
JOSEPH P. RUSSELL, farmer and stock-grower, Windham township, P. O. North Orwell, is a native of Windham township, this county, born May 9, 1844, a son of Austin and Annes (Bates) Russell, natives of Pennsylvania and Connecticut, respectively, and of English stock, a family that followed agriculture. The father died in 1853; the mother is now living, at the age of seventy-eight. Their family consisted of eight children, of whom Joseph is the fourth. He grew to his majority in his native place, and worked on the farm in summer, attending school in winter. On June 20, 1862, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Ninth N. Y. V. I., company K, and was sent at once to the Army of the Potomac; was in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, North Anna, Cold Harbor, and Petersburg, where he was taken prisoner, July 30, 1864, and was sent to Danville prison; here he remained seven months, when he was taken out, February 22, 1865, and had the luxury of reposing one night in LIbby Prison. He barely tipped the scales at sixty pounds, after being two weeks at home, prior to which he would probably have required apothecary scales; he was unable to walk when he came home, so crawled on his hands and knees into the house. When before Petersburg, he was standing with Edwin Wilber before a porthole, reading a paper, when a ball entered, grazing his scalp and killing Wilber instantly. On making a charge on the breastwork at Petersburg, twenty-nine of his company were killed, but three escaped, of whom he was one. Mr. Russell describes the dead on the ground after the battle as thick enough to walk on; and, in looking them over, he found his old an dear friend, Alexander Atherton. In the battle of the Wilderness, Mr. Russell’s clothes were riddled by bullets; there were four holes shot in his hat, and his haversack was shot off, in consequence of which it cost him fifty cents to get water to cook his supper. His prison life, like that of many others of the poor fellows, he says, was “worse than any nightmare!” He saw an unfortunate German shot dead for daring to look out of a window. The prisoners had a daily allowance of one pound rations, of the rankest quality, and more than one contrived to catch rats and mice, and eat them! Mr. Russell was united in marriage with Emelia Tanner, daughter of Henry D. and Olive E. Tanner, natives of New York, and of this marriage there are five children: Austin H., Elec, Lottie B., Hattie C. and Olive E. Henry D. Tanner, father of Mrs. Russell, was a native of Schoharie county, N. Y., born August 10, 1826, a son of George and Elizabeth (Ditchridge) Tanner; the family immigrated to this country immediately after the Revolution; the father died in 1868, and a few months thereafter the mother passed away in the State of Wisconsin; in their family were six children, of whom Henry D. was next the youngest. He was reared in Susquehanna and Bradford counties, and became a carpenter and joiner; came to Bradford in 1832, and married Olive E. Towner, daughter of Joseph and Emily (Pratt) Towner; they had three children: Emelia (Mrs. Russell), Olin C. (married to Isabella Rickey), Hattie (died in 1879, aged twenty-four years; had married Stanley Pete, a dentist). Mr. Tanner was a worthy soldier in the State’s emergency call to repel invasion. Joseph P. Russell is a member of G. A. R., Steven Post, at Rome.
L. F. RUSSELL, farmer and stock-grower. P. O. Rome, was born on the farm he now occupies in Rome township, June 26, 1844, a son of Dan and Debora Ann (Forbes) Russell. His grandfather, Dan Russell, came from Connecticut and was among the early pioneers to locate in Orwell township, where the father of L. F. was born in 1808; his grandfather, Hezekiah, was also a resident of Orwell township at time of his death, a farmer in Orwell and Rome townships, and at the time of death owned one hundred and fourteen acres well-improved land. The father of L. F. had a family of nine children, four of whom are yet living: Ellen, married to Harvey Johnston, a farmer of Litchfield township, this county; Simon, a farmer of Rome township; L. F. (the seventh of the family) and Phoebe, married to Jacob Struble, who is working in the Bridge Works at Athens, Pa. The boyhood of our subject was spent on his father’s farm, and he attended the common schools of Rome until seventeen years old, securing a good common-school education. He commenced farming, and followed it up to 1872, when he purchased and commenced to operate a sawmill; after which he sold and returned to the farm, where he has since remained. On February 20, 1865, he enlisted in Company C, Twenty-fourth New York Cavalry, and served until the close of the war. He now owns two hundred acres, and the house, built in 1886, is an elegant modern farm dwelling of ten rooms; farm is well stocked with young cattle, and he keeps about ten cows for his dairy. Mr. Russell was united in wedlock January 31, 1866, with Eunice, daughter of M. V. B. Towner, a farmer, and the fruits of this marriage are six children, as follows: Alice V., born November 3, 1866; Lina E., born July 31, 1871; Farnham H., born December 31, 1876, died August 1, 1882; Edith D., born October 13, 1884; Gertie, born January 18, 1887; Stanley, born December 26, 1889. Mr. Russell is a member of F. & A. M., Roman Lodge, No. 418, Rome; he has taken the degree of Master Mason and has been a member for about twenty-two years. He is a member of the Farmers’ Alliance; is a Republican in politics, and has frequently been called by his friends and neighbors to fill offices of trust of his township, such as treasurer, constable and collector and commissioner. among the prominent farmers of Bradford county Mr.. Russell ranks high.
STEPHEN C. RUSSELL, farmer and stock-grower, Orwell township, P. O. Lix, was born in Rome township, this county, June 9, 1846, and is a son of Reuben M. and Sarah (Eiklor) Russell, natives of Pennsylvania. Reuben M. Russell was a carpenter, and died in 1876; his widow survives. They reared a family of ten children, of whom Stephen is the youngest; he was reared at his father’s home, attended the public schools of Rome township, where he received the rudiments of a fair education, and when he reached his majority commenced farming on his own account, and with no other aids than his own industry has become the owner of a valuable farm of fifty-one acres. He was married in Rome, to Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel and Catherine (Courad) Chandler, natives of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Russell have five children, as follows: Willie N. (married to Orpha