History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
MORGAN THOMAS, carpenter and joiner, P. O. Neath, was born July 4, 1844, in Susquehanna county, Pa., and is a son of David and Ann (Jones) Thomas, natives of South Wales. In his father’s family there were eight children, of whom Morgan is the sixth. He spent his early boyhood on the farm, and in attending district school; at twenty-one he began to learn the carpenter’s trade, at which he has been employed since, except 1873-85, when he was engaged in mercantile business at Neath. He married Esther, daughter of Newton and Catherine (Davis) Humphrey, and they have two children living: Jessie C. and George N. Mr. Thomas is a member of the F. & A. M. at LeRaysville, and is a Republican.
Newton Humphrey, blacksmith, residing with his son-in-law, Morgan Thomas, was born in Pike township, October 22, 1820; he has been postmaster at Neath twenty years, and justice of the peace eleven years; his parents were Dudly Case and Almira (Gorham) Humphrey, natives of Connecticut, who settled in Pike township as early as 1819, on the farm now owned by Davis Phillips.
THOMAS F. THOMAS, farmer and stockman, P. O. Warren Centre, was born in New York City, March 24, 1832, a son of Samuel and Mary Francis Thomas, natives of Wales. The father, who was a mechanic and farmer, came to this country in 1831, stopping for a time in the city of New York, and following year removed to Warren township, this county, where he improved the farm on which his son now resides, and where he died in 1863, his good wife following him to the grave in 1866; their children were three in number, viz.: Sarah (Mrs. Evan W. Davis), of Pike township; Rachel (Mrs. Washington Beeman), of same township (she had one child, and died in 1841), and Thomas F. The subject of these lines has spent his life in Warren township, and now owns 107 acres of finely improved and well cultivated land. He was married in Iowa, May 19, 1865, to Mary Ann Canfield, a native of Warren township, daughter of Harvey and Abigail Estes Canfield, natives of Connecticut and New York, respectively, of English stock, farmers, who came to America in 1832, and located in Warren township, but in 1865 removed to Iowa, where they died, he in 1885, and she in 1866. In their family were nine children Mrs. Thomas being the fourth. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas have no children of their won, but have an adopted daughter, Abbie L., a daughter of Mrs. Thomas’ sister, and now Mrs. William A. Beebe, residing in Warren township. Mrs. Thomas is a Republican in politics.
REV. THOMAS THOMAS, Presbyterian minister, Stevensville, was born in Carmarthen, South Wales, June 16, 1812, a son of David and Hannah (Griffis) Thomas, who with their six children came to America, in 1824, and located on a farm where Neath now is, then a dense forest. To make the solitude of the New World more gloomy than the forest shade could make it, six weeks after their arrival the husband and father died of sunstroke. Thomas, who was the fourth child, spent his boyhood with the rest of the family in making a home in the woods, and in attending the common school. He was graduated from Lafayette College in 1843, and spent two years in Princeton Theological Seminary. He then returned to Neath, where he preached successively at Rushville, Orwell, Friendsville, Orwell, Rushville and in 1863, at Stevensville, where he has since resided, filling at the same time other small charges. Mr. Thomas was married, January 1, 1846, to Mary, daughter of William and Catharine (Howell) Evans, natives of South Wales. This happy union has been blessed with one son and four daughters: Harriett A., born August 10, 1847 (was educated in the common schools, the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, and was graduated at the High School of Marietta, Ohio, in 1866; she has taught and traveled considerably, having spent three years in southern California, and made two trips to Europe, to visit her sister, Mrs. F. R. Welles; is at present living with her parents at Stevensville); Sarah C., born August 14, 1849 (educated in the common schools, Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, and Delaware Institute, at Franklin, N. Y., took French and Botanical lectures; taught several years and was married, August 31, 1874, to Dr. Arthur H. Adams, whom she accompanied to Japan in October of the same year as a missionary. Mr. Adams was born at Sandusky, Ohio, October 26, 1847, was graduated at Yale College in 1867, being the fourth in a class of 110. After two years of teaching in the Delaware Literary Institute at Franklin, N. Y., he re-entered Yale, where he was graduated in Theology and Medicine. He was located at Osaka, Japan, as missionary physician. In 1878 he went to southern California for his wife’s health, and on returning to Japan died at sea of typhoid fever, and was buried at Kobe, Japan, in 1879. Mrs. Adams remained in California until 1882, when she returned to Stevensville. In 1888 she went to Antwerp, Belgium, and spent two years in Belgium and Italy; then returned to Stevensville, where she has since resided with her parents; she has one living child, Arthur H., born August 8, 1879); Welling E. (the only son of Mr. Thomas, was born January 25, 1852, educated in the common school, LeRaysville Academy, Delaware Literary Institute, and was graduated at Lafayette College in 1875. He taught one year, spent one year in the Union Theological Seminary in New York City, graduating from Princeton in 1879; he then preached at Eden and Ashley, Ohio, five years, residing at the latter place. He has since been located at Marion, Ohio. He married Emma W., daughter of Stephen and Mary (Lourie) Mattoon, natives of New York. The first seven years of her life were spent in Siam, her father being one of the first missionaries to that country. They have four children); Mary D. (Mr. Thomas’ third daughter, was born May 11, 1854, was educated in the common school, Madame Corson’s select school at Ithaca, N. Y., and the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, where she was graduated in 1874; she then attended the Elmira Female College one year; she is now living at Merryall, and is the wife of Rev. Milton L. Cook. They have six children); the youngest daughter of Mr. Thomas is Anna F. (born June 12, 1862, educated at the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, and was married, December 18, 1882, to F. R. Welles, superintendent of the European works of the Western Electric Company. They are living at Paris, and have four children). The Thomas family are Presbyterians, and Mr. Thomas is a Prohibitionist.
BURLEIGH THOMPSON, farmer, P. O. Terrytown, was born April 25, 1858, and reared and educated on a farm. He is a son of Charles and Elizabeth (Hulbert) Thompson, the former of whom was a native of this county, the latter of Wyoming county. In his youth the father was a promising lad, and in his advanced years a good citizen. He lived with William Terry until he reached his majority. He was twice married: first time, March 1, 1842, to Miss Elizabeth Hulbert, by whom he had six children, three of whom are now living; his second marriage was on January 17, 1864. Mr. Thompson was a prosperous farmer, and left behind a mark of his industry in the beautiful home and surroundings his son now enjoys; he died February 8, 1891, at the age of seventy-three years; his wife was born September 4, 1820, and died January 18, 1863, aged forty-three years. Mr. Thompson enjoyed the full confidence of his friends, who elected him to the offices of auditor, collector and treasurer. The subject of this memoir is the youngest in the family, and has always confined himself to agricultural pursuits. On September 25, 1890, then at the age of thirty-two, he married, at Cooper’s Plains, N. Y., Miss Eliza, daughter of Hon. Uriah and Louisa Terry. Like his father, Mr. Thompson is a prosperous farmer, and promises to make his mark in the world; he is a worthy and active member of the Baptist Church, and politically he is a Republican.
CHARLES C. THOMPSON, farmer, P. O. Bentley Creek, was born October 28, 1835, in South Creek township, this county, a son of William and Sophia (Houtz) Thompson, the former of whom was born in Ireland, and removed to America when sixteen years of age with his father, Harry Thompson; first settled in Dryden, Tompkins Co., N. Y.; the mother was born in Harrisburg, Pa., of German parents; her father was a doctor and preacher. William Thompson removed to Bradford county in 1832, and settled in South Creek township, where he was a farmer; he was a politician, and a strong supporter of the Wesleyan Methodist Church; he died at the age of eighty years, and his wife died aged ninety-two. Charles C. Thompson was reared on a farm, and has always followed the occupations of a farmer and carpenter. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K, Twenty-third N. Y. V. I.,, and served two years; was in several battles, among which were Antietam, South Mountain, Bull Run (second), and many other minor engagements. He was married, June 4, 1863, to Juliette Brown, of Ridgebury, who was born in Chemung county, N. Y., October 22, 1840, a daughter of Elijah M. and Lucetta (Burnham) Brown, both living with the daughter, the father now aged eighty-three years, the mother being eighty. Mr. Brown is a son of George Brown, a soldier of the Revolutionary War, was four years and eight months in the war, and was taken a prisoner once. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson have had four children, as follows: Jud S., married to Lettica, daughter of McKay Craig, of Bentley Creek; Jennie M., who died aged eight years; Leta D. and Vernie S. Mr. Thompson is a Republican, and an active worker in his party; has been auditor, assessor and constable; held several other offices of public trust; is also a member of Knights of Honor; is the owner of a fine farm, and is one of the most substantial farmers of the township.
CHARLES W. THOMPSON, farmer and stock-grower, Ulster township, P. O. Ulster, was born in Smithfield township, this county, April 7, 1829, the son of Palmer and Abigail (Goddard) Thompson, of whom the former was a native of New York State, and the latter of Connecticut; both of the grandfathers lost their lives by accident. The father died while the son was yet very young and the mother married Mr. Williams; she lived to the age of seventy-four years, and died in 1874. The father’s family consisted of four children, Charles W., being the eldest; L. E. in Smithfield; E. L. in Thompkins county, N. Y. Charles was educated in the public schools, receiving a common-school education, and remained on the farm with his step-father until his majority; then worked by the month in a sawmill until twenty-nine years of age, when he bought the farm he now occupies in 1857, and now owns 130 acres of beautiful farm land, finely improved. Of the prominent farmers and dairymen of this county, Mr. Thompson stands well toward the head of the list, and keeps a dairy of about twelve cows. He was married, April 7, 1858, to Elmira E. Mallery, daughter of Chester and Perline (Shipman) Mallery, residents of Ulster, and the fruits of this marriage are two children: Alice (who married William Dennis, of Sayre) and Palmer C. Mr. Thompson is one of the old members of the National Grange. In political views he is a stanch Republican, and now holds the office of township assessor, which he has filled the past three years. He is one of the pioneer settlers of his neighborhood.
E. M. THOMPSON, miller, P. O. Waverly, is a native of Cortland county, N. Y., and was born October 2, 1843, a son of Samuel L. and Adelia (Eldridge) Thompson, natives, respectively, of Columbia and Schoharie counties, N. Y. The father was a boot and shoe maker, and died in Cortland, N. Y., in 1870, in his sixty-eight year; the mother died in July, 1888, in her seventy-fifth year. E. M. Thompson, who is the eldest in a family of three children, was reared in Cortland, receiving a common-school education, and at the age of eighteen began to learn the miller’s trade at Blodgett’s Mills, in Cortland county, N. Y., where he remained about three years; then moved to Roseville, Tioga Co., Pa., and followed his trade about three years; thence went to Elmira, and was there about three years; then moved to Roseville, Tioga Co., Pa., and followed his trade about three years; thence went to Elmira, and was there about one year, when he proceeded to Ithaca, and after about one and one-half years he went from there to Dryden, Tompkins Co., N. Y., and was there about a year; thence moved to Pompey, Onondaga Co., N. Y., where he remained nine years, and then went to Owego, but only remained there a few months, when he came to Sayre, April 20, 1876, and has had charge of the mill of Phillips & Curtis since about three months after he commenced work for the firm. In all of these places he worked at his trade. Mr. Thompson was married in Cortland county, N. Y., in 1866, to Miss Arvilla, daughter of Zera and Lucy (Chapman) Tanner, natives of Otsego county. Her father, who was a farmer, died in 1862; her mother survives. Mrs. Thompson is the youngest in the order of birth in a family of seven children, and was born in Cortland county, N. Y., October 5, 1844. To Mr. and Mrs. Thompson were born three children: Edward W., Ella and Lucy. The family are members of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, at Sayre. Mr. Thompson is a member of the F. & A. M., Military Lodge, No. 93, Manlius, N. Y., and a member of the Knights of Honor, No. 293, Waverly. He is a Democrat, and served nine years as postmaster in Onondaga county, N. Y., and as school trustee two terms in the same county.
JOHN B. THOMPSON, foreman of wood shop, locomotive department, Sayre shops, P. O. South Waverly, is a native of Towanda township, this county, and was born February 15, 1837, a son of Elias and Hannah (McMicken) Thompson, natives of this county. The father was a miller, and died in Sheshequin, in 1857, in his forty-seventh year; the mother survives, and resides in South Waverly, and is in her eighty-second year. Grandfather Thompson was a soldier in the War of 1812. John B. Thompson is the only member living in a family of four boys. He moved to Sheshequin with his parents when seven years of age, received a common-school education, and attended the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, in 1854; then commenced the carpenter’s trade, and also learned the miller’s art, with his father. On April 14, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Fifth Pennsylvania Reserves, and some of the engagements he was in were with McClellan in the battles of Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Peninsular Campaign, and Bethesda Church, and was mustered out at Harrisburg, in June 1864, then returned to Sheshequin, and went to work at the carpenter’s trade, and worked until January, 1867, when he moved to South Waverly, where he worked three years in the steam flour mill, for Vanduzer, Hollet & Marsh; then went to work at the carpenter’s trade for the L. V. R. R. Co., in 1870, and was promoted to his present position, that of foreman, in 1874. He was married in Waverly, November 28, 1867, to Miss Mary, daughter of Peter and Bridget (Brown) Flood, natives of Ireland, whose family consisted of ten sons and two daughters, of whom she is the tenth, in order of birth, and was born at Milan, January 29, 1847. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson had two children: Howard J., who died at the age of eight months, and May, who died at the age of seven years. Mrs. Thompson is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Thompson is a member of the F. & A. M., Waverly Lodge, No. 407; of the G. A. R., Walter C. Hull Post, No. 461, and of the Union Veteran League, No. 28; has served as first burgess in South Waverly borough, and is a Republican in politics.
GEORGE H. THOMSON, farmer, South Creek township, P. O. Fassett, was born on May 18, 1832, in Catlin, Tompkins Co., N. Y., a son of William and Sophia (Hutz) Thomson, the former a native of Ireland, the latter of Carlisle, Pa. William Thomson was a son of William Thomson who came to this country when his son was ten years of age, locating in Orange county, N. Y., where he lived an uneventful life. His son, William, began business in Dryden, Tompkins Co., N. Y., purchased a farm of 100 acres, which he cleared, and on which he lived several years; then removed to South Creek township, on what is known as “Pigeon Hill.” He purchased a farm of 160 acres, in those days a wilderness, but by hard work, economy and perseverance he converted it into a beautiful home. Here he resided until his death, which occurred about 1871, when he was aged eighty-six years. His family consisted of eleven children, ten of whom grew to maturity, eight of them now living. George H. Thomson, who is the seventh in the family, was reared and educated in South Creek township. In early life he worked at the carpenter’s trade, but finally took up farming. He married, February 3, 1853, at South Creek, Ellanora, daughter of Woodard and Rhoda Bermy, and to them were born seven children, all of whom are living, as follows: Demster, married to Eugene Dewey; Timothy; Emma, married to William McCracken, a farmer; Edna, married to Albert Wood, a farmer; Zoe, married to Charles Star, a farmer; Arthur and Samuel. Mr. Thomson works a farm of 113 acres, his attention being specially devoted to dairying; his stock is fine and well graded; he owns a farm of 100 acres in Lycoming county, Pa. During the Civil War he served four months in the Construction Corps; he has held the offices, in the town, of constable and collector, two terms; politically he is a Republican.
FRANK THORNTON, farmer and stock-raiser, Ulster township, P. O. Ulster, was born at Danby, Tompkins Co., N. Y., March 30, 1836, and is the son of Eliakim and Abagail (Converse) Thornton, the former a native of New York and the latter of Vermont. The grandfathers, Joseph Thornton and Francis Converse, were among the early pioneers of New York. Frank Thornton came to Bradford county in 1865, and engaged in farming. He received his education in the common schools of New York, and had a fair education for his time; his early life was spent on a farm, but he learned the carpenter’s trade, working at that for several years, and then learned the shoemaker’s trade. He owns a farm of sixty-four acres in the Ulster valley. He was married in November, 1865, to Charlotte S.,, daughter of Royal S. and Jemima (Hugg) Alvord, and the fruit of this marriage are six children, as follows: Rufus F., Clara A. (wife of E. B. Gilbert), Mary H., Nathan W., Eli W. and Florida T.; except the two eldest, the children reside at home. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Thornton is a Democrat in politics.
JOSEPH TOWNER, farmer and stock-grower, Sheshequin township, was born in Rome township, May 23, 1828, a son of Enoch Towner, who was a farmer and lived in this county, where he died May 19, 1873, aged ninety-four years. His early life was spent on his father’s farm, attending the common schools of winters and working on the farm during summer, and received a fair schooling for the time, and at the age of nineteen he was apprenticed to learn the builders’ trade, at which he served two years, and then began operations for himself. This he followed about twenty years and has erected buildings in every section of the county, and assisted in building the courthouse and First Ward school-house, Towanda. He enlisted in the army, August 16, 1862, as private in Company I, One Hundred and Forty-first Volunteers, and was discharged in November, 1863, as drum-major, on account of disability. He participated in the second battle of Bull Run and at Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and various minor engagements, and was in the Patent Office Hospital three months with typhoid fever. On his return he engaged in farming in Rome township; then sold out and purchased a farm in Tioga county, N. Y., was there two years and then purchased the one he now occupies, about 100 acres, one-half being bottom-land, where he raises stock. He has a brick residence and elegant out-buildings; on the farm is one of the finest stone quarries in the State. He was married, in May, 1850, to Betsie Ann, daughter of Pardon Kenyon, and the issue of this union is one son, P. A. Towner, of Elmira. His wife died in October, 1851, and in July, 1863, he was married to Teresa, daughter of Theodore and Amanda (Fergurson) Gerould; her father is a native of this county and her mother of Vermont; by this marriage are three children, viz.: Dora E., wife of W. S. Elsbree; Ida I., wife of Lucian Gooding, of Elmira, and Jerauld E. Mr. Towner is the originator of the celebrated Towner corn, a new and valuable variety of cereal, ripening in ninety days, and yielding enormously. Mrs. Towner is a member of the Disciple Church; he is a member of Watkins Post, G. A. R., No. 68, and is past senior commander; also member of the I. O. O. F. Valley Lodge, of Sheshequin, and has passed all the chairs; he has voted the Republican ticket since that party was organized.
WASHINGTON TOWNER, farmer, Sheshequin, was born in Rome township, this county, May 3, 1826, and is a son of Enoch and Elizabeth (Moore) Towner. Enoch was the son of Elijah Towner, who came from New York to this county in 1793, when Enoch was fourteen years old, on a prospecting trip, and stopped with Gen. Spalding in Sheshequin; Elijah returned for his family, leaving his son here, and located on the farm now owned by John S. Clark, in his log cabin, one of the earliest houses built in the neighborhood. Elijah had served in the Colonial army under Washington, and participated in twenty-seven battles; his family consisted of the following children: Ezra, Enoch, John, Elijah, Abram, Gersham, Joseph, Benjamin, Olive (who married Russell Pratt), Elizabeth (married to George Billings) and Anna (deceased); his wife was Mary Knapp. The father, Enoch Towner, was born in New York, October 1, 1781, and lived in the county until his death, May 19, 1873, aged ninety-two; the mother was the daughter of James Moore, born July 12, 1791, and died in 1881 in her ninetieth year. In their family were fourteen children - seven boys and seven girls - viz.: Laura, married to E. Whitney, and died in Rome, aged seventy-seven; Philander, married to Clarissa Davidson, of Litchfield county, Pa., and died in Rome, aged seventy-seven; Elvira, married to Owen Robinson, of Candor, N. Y.; Evalina, married to Philander Robinson, and died in Franklin, aged sixty; Martin, married to Abigail Bidlack, of Sheshequin, Bradford Co., Pa.; Eunice, married to Orlando Chubbuck, of Streeter, Ill.; Olive, to B. B. Hollett, of Watkins, N. Y.; Alvin, married to Diana Andrews, of Candor, N. Y., and resides in Rome township; Dr. Enoch, married to Almira Rockwell, of Rome, Bradford Co., Pa., and died in Wilson N. Y.; Mary, married to George Smith, of Potter Co., Pa.; Washington; Joseph, married to Theresa Gerould, of Rome, Bradford Co., Pa; Helen married to Almeron Spencer, of Reading, N. Y., and Clinton, who died in infancy. Washinton’s boyhood was spent on his father’s farm, working on the farm in summer and attending school, during the winter, when there was school; his advantages were, therefore, in this respect, very limited, but in after years he secured a good business education; he remained on his father’s farm until his twenty-third year, and then secured sixty acres off the old homestead, and occupied that farm until 1868, when he removed to another, the old “Towner farm,” in the immediate vicinity, which contained 100 acres, and was here twelve years, then went to Rome borough, keeping charge of his farm, and remained there seven years. He then bought the farm he now occupies, known as the Segar farm, but was originally owned by Josiah Marshall; this farm consists of forty-five acres, thirty-five acres being bottom-land; the buildings are capacious and modern; the farm is well-improved and makes one of the most beautiful homes. He was married, July 3, 1849, to Esther M., daughter of Harry L. and Electa (Allia) Parks, and they have had four children: Harry L., married to Emily Mead, and is now a physician at Athens; Malon L., married to Grace Kinney, of Rome borough; Carrie E., married to Vernon L. Beckwith, of Warren, and Flora M., married to Ward Watkins, of Sheshequin. Mr. Towner is a member of I. O. O. F., Rome Lodge, No. 480, and has passed all the degrees. The family are members of the Golden Cycle. Mrs. Towner is a member of the order of Providence Shield, Branch No. 17, Athens. In politics Mr. Towner is a Republican. His uncle, Joseph Towner, was among the early preachers of the county, a man of extraordinary power. The Towner family are fine vocalists, and “Uncle Joe” could both sing and preach for the whole congregation.
H. L. TOWNER, physician and surgeon, Athens, is a native of Rome township, Bradford Co., Pa., and was born May 4, 1850, a son of Washington and Esther (Parks) Towner; the former is a native of Rome, the latter of Orwell township, this county. The paternal were soldiers in the Revolutionary War. The father is a farmer and resides in Sheshequin township, this county. Dr. Towner, who is the eldest in a family of two boys and two girls, entered the Chicago Homeopathic College, in 1877, and began the practice of medicine in Athens, where he is still so engaged. He was married in Rome, this county, August 28, 1872, to Miss Ella, daughter of David and Sarah (Rudell) Newell, natives of this county (she was second in a family of six children, and was born in Sheshequin township, August 20, 1853, and died November 7, 1882), by which union were three children: Dana W., Mary A. and Carrie B. The Doctor was married, the second time, March 4, 1883, to Miss Emma M., daughter of Albert and Lucy M. (Taylor) Meade, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Tioga county, N. Y. (she is the youngest in a family of three children, and was born in Tioga county, N. Y., May 18, 1859). She is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Dr. Towner is a member of the F. & A. M., Rural Amity Lodge, No. 70, and also of the Royal Arcanum, Queen Esther Lodge, No. 1153, and is medical examiner for the latter; he is a Republican, and is a member of the school board. He is a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy.
S. G. TOWNSEND, farmer and stock-grower, P. O. North Rome, was born in Sheshequin, this county, May 17, 1830, and is a son of Elijah and Sallie (Gore) Townsend, the former of whom was born in New York and came to this county while yet a young man, locating in Rome township, where he purchased timbered land containing 800 acres, and for the greater portion of his life he followed lumbering and rafting; he had a family of eight children, as follows: Hannah Matilda, married to Selim Murphy, and has been dead several years; Henry, also deceased; Hezekiah has his third wife, and now resides in Idaho; Sarah, married to Enslie Gillett; Emeline, married to Henry Struble; Deborah, married to Austin Van Winkle (since deceased), and is now living in Chautauqua county, N. Y.; S. G., subject of this sketch; Mary, married to Rossiter Gillett. Mr. Townsend was born and reared on a farm and educated in the common schools, which he attended until eighteen years old. On reaching his majority he purchased eighty-three acres, which he still owns, and began farming. In 18__ he went to Wisconsin, and worked in the pineries two years; from there moved to Minnesota and pre-empted a quarter section of land. Returning to Bradford county, he was married in 18__, then returned to Minnesota and took up his residence. While there he was elected to the office of justice of the peace. In 1863 he was called home on account of an injury received by his father who was thrown from a wagon, which rendered him an invalid until his death. He at once took charge of his father’s affairs, and soon brought order and success out of considerable confusion. He now owns over 200 acres of splendid land; the present residence, built in 1874, is an elegant modern farm house; he does an extensive lumbering and farming business, and his farm is well stocked. Mr. Townsend was united in marriage, in November, 18__, with Elizabeth, daughter of Jonathan Hockins, of Broome county, N. Y., and to them were born five children, as follows: Eddie, Oscar, Freddie and Jessie (all deceased); Eva, married to S. E. Bradley; and they have also an adopted daughter, Frankie. Mr. Townsend has always been remarkably successful in his business interprises, and besides his large farm interests owns two houses and lots and three valuable vacant lots in Athens. He is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and holds the position of steward; is a Republican, and has held the office of justice of the peace two terms. Among the many successful farmers of this county, none stands higher in the respect of the community in which they live than Mr. Townsend.
JULIUS TOZER (second), farmer, Athens township, P. O. Waverly, N. Y., was born in Athens township, this county, January 4, 1839, son of Joel M. and Elizabeth (Gross) Tozer, the former of whom was born in Athens, on the Chemung river, in 1806, and the latter in Bucks county, Pa. Joel Tozer was the son of Julius Tozer, who was a native of Connecticut, and removed from that State to a place called “Falling Springs” on the Susquehanna river, in this State; after a short stay he removed to Bradford county in 1791, locating on the Chemung river, north and west of Athens borough. He purchased a farm of 150 acres in the wilderness, cleared a spot for his log house, and went on building and improving, and soon added 240 to his first purchase, making nearly four hundred acres. He built a more commodious house out of hewed logs, of which there was an abundance, then built a modern frame building to accommodate his increasing family, which numbered thirteen, eleven of whom grew to maturity and lived to good old ages - Lucy living to be ninety years of age. Julius (first) died in 1852 in his eightieth year. Joel, the father of our subject, commenced life on his father’s farm; he and his brother built a sawmill, which they operated several years, after which they sold the mill property and confined themselves to farming. He lived a life uneventful, and died July 3, 1879, in the seventy-fourth year of his age; his family consisted of eight children, six of whom grew to maturity and are living at the present. Julius (second) who is the second in the family, was reared and educated in Athens, and always worked on a farm at home. He married Miss Hattie Casada, by whom he had two children: Elizabeth and Julius, both living. He is an enterprising farmer, raising a mixed crop, but giving some attention to tobacco. Mr. Tozer has the confidence of his fellow-citizens who elected him to the office of town commissioner; politically he is a Democrat.
RALPH TOZER, proprietor of coal yard, Athens, is a native of Athens and was born November 9, 1829, a son of Guy and Welthin (Kinney) Tozer, the former a native of Athens and the latter of Sheshequin township, this county. Guy Tozer was a farmer, a soldier of the War of 1812, and was elected sheriff of Bradford county in 1836; he died in Athens in 1877, in his seventy-eighth year. Mrs. Guy Tozer died in 1868, in her sixty-seventh year. the grandfather, Col. Julius Tozer, was a Revolutionary veteran, raised a company from Athens and vicinity, was their captain in the War of 1812-14, and was wounded while in the service. Ralph Tozer is the second in a family of eight children, of whom five are still living, and was reared on a farm. He clerked in a store several years; studied law and was admitted to the bar in this county about the year 1853, but did not practice his profession. In 1855 he went down into the Lehigh coal regions, and was in the employ of Packer, Carter & Co. twelve years, beginning as bookkeeper and when he left was superintendent of their four mines; from there he went to New York City, and was in the employ of G. B. Linderman & Co. nearly two years; thence went to Towanda and was superintendent of the Schrader Manufacturing Company two years; then moved to Memphis, Tenn., and was partner in a wholesale grocery and cotton house two years. Returning to Wyoming Valley, he started two general stores under the firm name of Tozer, Crane &