History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
620 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY
Rev. George Ballentine, clergyman and farmer, Smithfield township, P.O. Floss, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, May 26, 1839. In early life he was a linen weaver in the winter, and in the summer was employed on the farm; he was second in a family of seven children; and acquired a fair education in his native country. He and his brother, John, came to this country in the month of July, 1863, and landed in New York on the day of the great riot, and saw the two men-of-war come up to the city, to put down the disturbance. He worked first at the iron works near Allentown, and in the fall of 1864 entered Bucknell University, where he was graduated in 1871, and entered the ministry of the Baptist Church at North Moreland, Wyoming county. On October 3, 1873, he was married to Jennie R. Gerould, who was graduated from the same college as her husband; she was the daughter of James L. and Sabrina B. Gerould, born November 28, 1848, on the farm where they now reside. There have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Ballentine eight children, seven of whom are now living, as follows: Bernie H., James Gerould, Mary F., Carrie M., John H., Harriet L. and George F. Mr. Ballen-tine was pastor at North Moreland four years, and then eight years in Montgomery county, where he built two churches; on account of nervous disability he was obliged to discontinue active work for a time, and consequently came to this township where he owns a fine farm. He has continued to preach at Smithfield, South Creek, Ridgebury, and for the last two years at Terrytown and Camptown, when without a regular pastor; his brother, John, who was graduated at the college above named, is the professor of Greek and Latin in the State Normal School at Clarion, and was formerly a professor in Madison (now Colgate) University, at Hamilton, N.Y.
James D. Barbour, farmer and dairyman, Ulster, one of the prominent farmers of the county, was born in Scotland July 20, 1829, the son of Hugh and Margaret (Hunter) Barbour. His school term ended when he was twelve years old, yet he has a fair education. In his father’s family were seven children, of whom James D. is the eldest; two died in infancy; three boys and two girls live in this county; Elizabeth, at Moore’s Hill; Janet, married to James McQueen, of Horseheads, N.Y.; Hugh, at Blyn City, Washington; Alexander, of Newman, Cal. The family came to this county in 1849, locating at Moore’s Hill, and cleared the old woods away. James D. Barbour now owns a beautiful farm of 220 acres, having recovered the entire tract from brush, and has made the improvements, which are all modern and among the best of the county. On September 28, 1864, he enlisted in Company H, Fifty-third Regiment, P.V.I., and served until the close of the war, participating in the battle of Hatcher’s Run. His health was greatly impaired during his service, and for several years after his return from the army he was unable to perform farm labor, but is now fairly restored to health. His parents died on the farm he now owns, the father March 26, 1864, and the mother July 11, 1873. Our subject was married March 13, 1867, to Agnes, daughter of Walter and Margaret (Mather) Pollock, natives of Scotland (she was born in Ulster, and her father’s family consisted of six children, she being next to the youngest and the only daughter; her brothers all live in this county). The fruits of this marriage are two children, Walter and Margaret Estella. Mr. Barbour keeps a dairy, also grows wool and breeds draft horses, he has over 100 acres of land under cultivation. He is a member of Gilmour Post, G.A.R., at Ulster, a leading member of the Presbyterian Church at Ulster, and one of its organizers; in his political views he is a Republican.
Perley N. Barker, M.D., Troy, was born in Belpre, Washington Co., Ohio, August 31,1856, a son of Edmund and Rhoda A. (Lathrop) Barker, of English descent, and on the paternal side coming of Puritan stock. Until the age of fourteen he attended the public schools of Illinois, and then three years were spent in the schools of western New York; he then took a course of study in the Wellsboro (Pa.) graded school, and commenced the study of dentistry in that place. In 1878 he located in Troy, and was an assistant in the office of Dr. R.C. Kendall; in 1880 he was examined by the Pennsylvania State Dental Examining Board, was given a certificate of proficiency, before the board. Being possessed of a fine intellect, he decided that a higher profession was more congenial to his tastes, and in 1887 he was graduated from the Medico-Chirurgical College of Philadelphia, Pa., receiving the special prize in surgery; soon after he engaged in partnership with Dr. E.G. Tracy, of Troy, with whom he has since been associated; he has a large surgical practice in the place in addition to his regular work, and has devoted a great deal of special study to this branch of his profession. Though young in years, Dr. Barker stands well in the estimation of the community, and has an excellent practice. He has been twice married, first to Cora, daughter of Benjamin F. and Lydia (Slade) Knapp, of Troy, and by her had one son: Frank S.; his second marriage was with Lillian, daughter of Joseph and Melissa (Hall) Joralemon, Troy. The Doctor is a member of the Baptist Church, of the F. & A. M. and I.O.O.F.; also of the Bradford County Medical society, the Pennsylvania State Medical Society, and Alumni of the Medico-Chirurgical College, of Philadelphia. Politically he is a Republican.
George Barnes, farmer and horse trainer, of Granville township, P.O. Granville Centre, was born November 15, 1845, in Hartford, Conn., a son of Albert and Sarah E. (Andrews) Barnes, who settled in Granville in 1846, and cleared and improved the farm now owned by Luman Putnam, Jr., where they died. Albert Barnes was one of the leading citizens of his day, and besides carrying on his farm, was extensively engaged in lumbering and in the sale of musical instruments and patent rights. He took an active part in local politics, and held many of the minor offices of the township. Until the breaking out of the War of the Rebellion he was in politics a Democrat, but since then a stanch Republican. His children were Celestia (Mrs. P.S. Bailey), Julia (Mrs. H.W. McCraney), Roderick, Horace, George, Mellville and Charlotte (Mrs. George Bunyan). George Barnes was reared in Granville township, educated in the common schools, and began life as a farmer; he has done an extensive business in lumbering,and from boyhood has been widely known for his skill as a breaker and trainer of horses. He married in December, 1864, Grace, daughter of C.J. and Rebecca (Becker) Martin, of Granville, and has four children; Fordyce M., Floyd M., Albert and Donald. Mr. Barnes is a member of the I.O.O.F., Granville Centre Lodge. In politics he is a Republican, and is now serving his second term as constable and collector of the township.
Ulyssus Barnes, hotel proprietor, Herrickville, was born on his father’s farm in Herrick township, this county, July 26, 1841. His father, Jeremiah Barnes, was born in Orwell township, in 1811; his grandfather, Jesse Barnes, was born near Blandford, Mass., was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, Philetus now having the musket he carried, a Queen Ann piece, in a fair state of preservation. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Jerre Barnes were Jesse, Anson, Joel and Jeremiah. Jesse Barnes received the usual public-school education, after which he worked at home on the farm with his father. He married Roxanna Warfel, also a native of Massachusetts, and came to this county in 1805, settling in Orwell township, where he improved 150 acres, on which he lived until his forty-fourth year, when he was killed in the Horton sawmill, Wysox. They had eight children, viz.: Lucretia (wife of Alvin Goodnough), Jeremiah, Dr. Jesse, Ollie (wife of Louis Martin), Nelson, Philander, Alonzo and Francis Sylvester. Mrs. Jesse Barnes died in 1839. Jeremiah, the second eldest child in this family, received the usual public-school education, and worked on the farm until his twentieth year; then purchased a farm adjoining his father’s, which he sold about 1834, and moved to Herrickville, where he bought from Louis Martin 100 acres, on which his son, Philetus Barnes, now resides; he died November 26, 1880. He had married Sally Aurilla, the younger of two children of Sypron Grant, and they had seven children: Sylvester (who died in infancy), Polly (wife of George Coe), Melissa (deceased), Ulyssus, Roxanna (deceased), Philetus and Loran (of Omaha, Neb). Jeremiah Barnes was tax collector in 1846. Ulyssus Barnes was educated in Herrickville, attending school until his nineteenth year, and learned the shoemaking trade. He was drafted and assigned to Company D, One Hundred and Seventy-first Regiment P.V.I., in October, 1862, and they were ordered to Harrisburg, Baltimore, Washington and Suffolk, Va., where they remained five weeks acting as reserves; then proceeded to Harris’ Landing, and on a transport to New Berne, N.C., where they remained until April 1, 1863; thence were sent to Little Washington, N.C., until June; thence to Fortress Monroe, and received orders to cut off the Confederates, who were retreating from Gettysburg; thence up York river fifty miles, disembarked, and then were on march six days, when they returned to Fortress Monroe. Thence they proceeded to Baltimore and Harrisburg, where the command was mustered out August 8, 1863. Mr. Barnes returned home, remained two months, and then went to Nashville, Tenn., where he was employed by the Government until the close of the war, when he again returned home and took up his trade, which he has since followed. He is a member of Union Lodge, No. 95, F. & A.M. Mr. Barnes married, June 7, 1871, Sarah M., daughter of Thomas and Sallie (Brewster) Everson, natives of Monroe, Orange Co., N.Y.; she was born August 28,1848; her father and mother died in 1849; she had one brother, George T., and one sister, Julia, wife of Charles Walden. Nr. And Mrs. Barnes have one daughter, Jennie Melissa, who was born February 29,1872.
William Barnes, farmer, P.O. Towanda, was born October 26, 1815, in the town of Nichols, Tioga Co., N.Y., a son of Hezekiah and Polly (Brewster) Barnes; his father was a native of New York, and a pioneer lumberman and farmer. William Barnes was united in marriage, November 5, 1842, with Sarah Stropes, daughter of Henry and Wealthy (Rutty) Stropes, natives of Pennsylvania, whose ancestry was of German extraction. To Mr. and Mrs. Barnes have been born ten children, seven of whom grew to their majority: One son, Burton, was in the War of the Rebellion and lost his life in the service of his country; those living are Louisa, Charlotte, Anna J., William, Sidney and Edward, all of whom are married and prosperous. William Barnes was a poor boy, but by honesty and perseverance has accumulated an independence, and is now the owner of three farms of over two hundred acres; he settled on his present homestead in North Towanda township when first married, nearly fifty years ago; has always lived an exemplary and contented life, and is beloved by his family, neighbors and an extensive circle of friends. It is said of Mr. Barnes that in the course of his business life of over sixty years he has never had a lawsuit. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes are a genial and amiable couple and bid fair to celebrate their golden wedding.
Henry Barrett, proprietor of the "Barrett House," Towanda, was born in 1829, and is a son of John and Mary (McNamara) Barrett, who came to America in 1847, and settled in Sheshequin township, this county. They were the parents of the following children: Richard, Cornelius, Mary (Mrs. Daniel Barrett), Margaret (Mrs. Thomas Sheahen), Susan (Mrs. Patrick McNamara), John Daniel and Henry. Henry Barrett was reared in Ireland, and came to America with his parents in 1847. After attaining his majority he engaged in farming at Standing Stone, this county, until 1878, when he removed to Towanda and embarked in the hotel business, in which he has since successfully continued, and has occupied his present stand, No. 612 South Main street, since 1882. In 1856 he married Mary, daughter of Patrick and Mary (McGuane) Lynch, of County Clare, Ireland. Mr. Barrett is a well-known and popular citizen; he is a member of the Catholic Church, and in politics is a Democrat.
Washington I. Barrowcliff, farmer, of Tuscarora township, P.O. Laceyville, Wyoming county, was born in Camptown, this county, June 17,1848, and was educated in the common schools and at Wyoming Seminary; he is a son of Wellington and Lucy (Shumway) Barrowcliff, the former a native of Mehoopany, Pa., of English descent, the latter of Tuscarora, of New England parentage. Mr. Barrowcliff began life for himself at twenty-two, farming in Tuscarora; he was also engaged in teaching school, having taught over nine terms in Carbon, Wyoming and Bradford counties; then removed to Susquehanna county, where he was engaged in farming two years, when he came to his present place, where he has since remained. He was married September 18, 1876, to Lalla, born February 22, 1857, a daughter of David and Sally (Learn) Edinger, of Monroe county, Pa., and they have four children, viz.; Kent, born September 14, 1877; Fidae, born May 26, 1880; Altie, born September 7, 1882; and Winifred, born August 4, 1884. Mr. Barrowcliff is an independent voter and a strong advocate of the principles of Prohibition. The family are memebers of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Skinner’s Eddy.
Jacob J. Bartch, farmer, Wilmot township, P.O. Wilmot, was born in Sullivan county, Pa., September 12, 1846, and is a son of Godlip and Sarah (Suber) Bartch, the former a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, and the latter of Berks county, Pa., and of German lineage. Mr. Bartch began life for himself, farming, at twenty-nine, when he purchased his present home of one hundred and forty-two acres where he has since resided. He was married May 5, 1873, to Miss Frances, daughter of John and Lucretia (Lephfrum) Saxe, and they have two children, viz.: Howard L., born January 26, 1877, and Florence O., born September 11, 1878. Mr. Bartch is a member of the Lutheran Church at Dushore, and his political principles are pronounced Republican.
Henry Arthur Bartlett, physician and surgeon, Sugar Run, was born January 8, 1846, at Towanda, this county, and is a son of O.D. and Mary (Weston) Bartlett, the former a native of Otis, Mass., and the latter of Towanda. In his father’s family there were the following named children: Frank W., professor of Hebrew and Oriental languages in Williams College, and pastor of Grace Church, Williamstown, Mass.; Mary F. (Mrs. E.O. Macfarland), of Towanda; Harriet (Mrs. Walter G. Tracy), also of Towanda; Charles G. (deceased); Cora (Mrs. Norman Eichelberger), of Mansfield, Ohio, John N., and Orrin D., who died in infancy. Dr. Bartlett was educated at the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, Ann Arbor Medical College and Pennsylvania Medical College; he also read medicine with Drs. Mason and Madill. In 1869 he located at Sugar Run, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. On June 30, 1863, the Doctor enlisted at Towanda, in Company A, Thirty-fifth P.V.I.; was first detailed as hospital warden, and later as surgeon of the Third Division of U.S. Military Carpenters. Dr. Bartlett was married July 6, 1869, to Miss Delphine, daughter of George H. and Fannie (Brown) Hill, of Burlington, and they have nine children; Orrin Daniel, born June 18, 1871; Mary Weston, born October 5, 1873; Franklin Walter, born October 31, 1875; Henry Arthur, Jr., born October 6, 1877; Jane Scott, born August 19, 1880; Bessie, born September 19, 1882; Edward Macfarland, born March 14, 1885; Norman Eichelberger, born April 15, 1887, and Cora Eliza, born March 2, 1890, all of whom were baptized in the Protestant Episcopal Church by their uncle, Rev. F. W. Bartlett. Dr. and Mrs. Bartlett are also members of the Protestant Episcopal Church. He is a member of Jackson Post, G.A.R., at Wyalusing, of which he is surgeon; is a Freemason of the third degree, and in politics is a Republican. Ebenezer Bartlett, the ancestor of the family in Bradford county, was a Revolutionary patriot and was among the freemen who struck the first blow for liberty at Lexington; he was the great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch, Josiah Bartlett, who signed the Declaration of Independence, was of the same family blood.
Uriah D. Baxter, farmer, and agent for agriculture machinery, Granville Centre, was born in Granville township, this county, August 19, 1828, a son of Oliver and Ruth (Ross) Baxter. His paternal grandparents, Uriah and Kate (Bailey) Baxter, formerly of Connecticut, settled in Granville township in 1808, and cleared and improved the farm where William Baldwin now lives, and died there, their children were Chauncey, Ezra, Betsey (Mrs. Simeon West),- (Mrs. Parkhurst), Roxie (Mrs. John Vroman), and Oliver, the father of our subject, who was born in Schoharie county, N.Y., March 14, 1804. When four years of age, Oliver removed with his parents to Granville where he was reared, and cleared and improved the farm now owned by Edward Selleck and James McKeen, and had a family of four children; Uriah D., Jane (Mrs. N.W. Clark), Amanda (Mrs. John Mott), and Sarah (Mrs. N.W. Clark). The subject of these lines was reared in Granville, where he has always resided, and cleared and improved the farm he now occupies; his wife was Mary, a daughter of Silas Packard, of Canton township, and by her he has five children, as follows: Orselus, Ira, Odessa (Mrs. David Pepper), Fred and Emma. Mr. Baxter was a member of Company I, Fifteenth New York Engineers, in the Civil War, enlisting August 29, 1864, and after serving eleven months was honorably discharged. He is a well-known citizen of Granville, and in politics is a Republican.
John W. Beaman, livery man and undertaker, Troy, was born in Columbia township, this county, November 3, 1848, and is a son of Joseph and Almira (Burrell) Beaman. His father was a native of Bennington, Vt., born January 27, 1785, and was a son of Joseph Beaman who served as a soldier through-out the War of the Revolution. The father of our subject settled in Columbia township, this county, in 1806, and cleared and improved the farm on which he resided until his death which occurred August 12, 1872; by his wife who was a daughter of Silas and Lucy Burrell, of Tioga county, Pa., he had ten children: Mary (Mrs. D.B. Knapp), Martha (Mrs. L. D. Haven), Joseph, Sarah (Mrs. Austin Edsall), David, Ruth, William, Lydia, John W., and Lucy (Mrs. C.E. Colony). The subject of the lines is the owner of the old homestead where he was born and reared. He received an academical education, and after attaining his majority, engaged in farming for several years; in 1880 he embarked in general merchandising at Wells, this county, in which he was engaged until 1887. In 1889 he was engaged in the furniture and undertaking business at Williamsport, and in the fall of same year he located in Troy, where he has since been successfully engaged in the livery and undertaking business. He was twice married, first to Effie D., daughter of Capt. William R. and Abigail (Mosher) Wilson, of Wells, by whom he had two children: Joseph W. and Effie D.; and his second wife was Fannie R. Wilson, sister of his first wife, by whom he has four children: Susan E., William and Humphrey (twins) and Francis. Mr. Beaman is an enterprising citizen, and politically he is a Democrat.
Charles I. Beardsley, farmer, Smithfield township, P.O. Hoblet, was born in Schuyler county, N.Y., June 24, 1856, son of S.C. and Caroline M. (Coots) Beardsley, natives of that county and of English ancestry. His great-grandfather, Coots, was a Hessian soldier, and was in the War of the Revolution; after the war he became an American citizen and reared a large family. Mr. Beardsley was the eldest in a family of four children, all boys; he was married, March 7, 1877, to Emma R., daughter of T.D. and Clarinda (Crandall) Beardsley, old settlers in Springfield; she was born February 15, 1850, and was one of a family of five children. There has been given to Mr. and Mrs. Beardsley one child, Annie Maud, born December 27, 1881. Mr. Beardsley came to this township thirteen years ago, and purchased what is known as the Ames (afterward the Peck) farm; he is a successful farmer, deals largely in cattle, buying and selling; is a member of the Knights of Honor; is a Republican and active in political matters, and a man well informed on the subjects of the day. Mrs. Beardsley is an active and energetic business lady. The Beardsleys are descendants of William Beardsley, who came from England in the ship "Planter" to Boston, Mass., in 1635.
George G. Beardsley, of Beardsley &McKean, hardware merchants, Troy, was born in Sullivan township, Tioga Co., Pa., January 11, 1849, a son of Eden and Miranda (Tinkham) Beardsley, and is of Puritan and Pilgrim stock. He was reared and educated in his native county, served an apprenticeship of three years in Tioga, and afterward worked as a journeyman six and one-half years. He located in Troy, May 18, 1874, and August 1, 1878, embarked in the general hardware business in Troy, continuing alone until 1879 when Mr. H.M. Spalding became associated with him, and the firm did business as Beardsley and Spalding until February, 1884, when Mr. A.B. McKean was admitted to the firm, and as Beardley, Spalding & McKean continued up to the first of January, 1890, when Mr. Spalding retired, and the firm continues as Beardsley & Mc Kean. Mr. Beardsley was married January 11, 1882, to Alice E., daughter of Lewis H. and L. Susan (Pierce) Tears, of Troy. Mr. Beardsley is one of the substantial and enterprising businessmen of Troy, and in politics he is a Republican.
Cyrus Beck, farmer, P.O. Fassett, was born in Pike county, Pa., June 30, 1820, a son of William and Mary Impson Beck; the former was born in Mount Bethel, Pa, and the latter in Pike county Pa. They removed to this county in 1835, locating in Ridgebury where they remained one year; then moved to South Creek, and settled where Mr. Beck purchased and cleared a most fertile farm, on which he afterward lived and died at the age of seventy years, and his wife at the age of eighty-seven years. They raised a family of eleven children, ten of whom grew to maturity and three are now living. The subject of this memoir, who is the second in the family, came to this county with his father when fifteen years of age. He received his education in Tompkins county, N.Y., and afterward followed farming at which he has proved a success. At the age of twenty-six he married Martha, daughter of Asa and Mercy Moore, by which union there were born seven children, all of whom grew to maturity, and of these six are now living, as follow: Elle R., M. Amelia, Catherine, William Henry, Grace E., and Hattie Louise; Floravance A., now deceased, was the eldest. Mr. Beck is an extensive farmer and lumberman, not only supplying the home demand, but shipping to Elmira and other points. He has a fine assortment of blooded horses, from registered stock; is a successful and enterprising farmer, having the confidence of his fellow citizens; has held the office of school director and also town commissioner for years with satisfaction to all, and honor to himself.
Joseph Becker, farmer, P.O. Alba, was born in Kinderhook, N.Y., February 5, 1827, and is the adopted son of John S. and Hannah Becker, who settled in Armenia township in 1833, on the farm now owned by J.D. Becker. Our subject was reared in Armenia township from twelve years of age, and cleared and improved the farm he now occupies. In 1864 he enlisted in Company I, Fifteenth New York Engineers, and after nine months service was honorably discharged. He married September 9, 1852, Mary, daughter of Hiram Miller, of Armenia, and has eight children, as follows: Morris, Anna, Clara (Mrs. Burton Rexford), Charlotte, Mary (Mrs. Charles Purvis), Florence, Jennie and Ella. Mr. Becker is one of the substantial farmers of Armenia township, and in politics is a Republican.
Abner M. Beebe, retired merchant, Rome, was born in New York
City, August 28, 1832, and is a son of Martin H. and Eliza (Meserole) Beebe,
the former a native of Connecticut, the latter of Brooklyn, N.Y., and of
Dutch descent. His paternal ancestors were from Connecticut, dating back
generations. His father, who was a copper-smith, and a successful business
man, died January 1, 1840, aged thirty-three; he had a family of five children,
viz: Martin H., of Brooklyn; Margaret M., married to William H. Van Vorhis,
both now dead; Abner M.; Harriet M., married to William H. Barnes, of New
York City; Elizabeth, died in infancy. Abner M. Beebe passed his boyhood
in the city of Brooklyn, attending the public schools until twelve years
of age, after which he was thrown on his own resources. He secured a position
as errand boy in a store in New York, and was clerk in different stores,
finally becoming a head book-keeper, and was thus employed until the panic
of 1857, when he opened a fruit store on his own account, and conducted
the same until 1863, when he was appointed commissioner of enrollment by
President Lincoln, and during the draft riots he was in frequent danger
of his life from assassination. In 1865 he came to Bradford county and
purchased a farm of fifty-five acres in North Rome; after eight years he
removed to Wysox, and three years afterward he proceeded to Springville,
Susquehanna county, and was there three years when he went to Brushville,
opened a general store and remained two years; while here he lost his first
wife; then removed to Myersburg, and merchandised for about five years,
and from there came to Rome borough; then in 1887 he retired from active
life. Mr. Beebe has been twice married, the first time April 26, 1854 to
Mary A. Dains, daughter of William H. Dains, of Brooklyn, by