History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
N. P. CHAFFEE, dealer in boots and shoes, Athens, is a native of Warren township, this county, and was born October 29, 1833, a son of Orvilla and Amy (Lyon) Chaffee, natives of Pawtucket, R. I., and who came to this county early in life; the father, who was a farmer, died in May, 1888, in his eighty-sixth year; the mother in 1883 in her seventy-fifth year; grandfather Noah Chaffee was a solider in the War of 1812. N. P. Chaffee is the fourth in a family of eleven children, of whom six are living. He was reared on the farm, and remained with his father until he was nineteen, when he served an apprenticeship at the shoemaker’s trade, which he followed until he enlisted in the army in September, 1862, in Company D, Seventeenth Pennsylvania Cavalry. He was inured at the skirmish at Occoquan, Va, and was sent to Carver Hospital, Washington, December 23, 1862; was discharged January 30, 1863; he is a member of the G. A. R., Perkins Post, No. 202, and also of the Union Veteran Legion, No. 28. He was married in Owego, N. Y., July 18, 1857, to Miss Celestia, daughter of William H. and Diadama (Hoskins) Spencer, natives of Connecticut (she is the eighth child of a family of nine, and was born in Orwell township, this county, January 28, 1840). To Mr. and Mrs. Chaffee have been born three children, as follows: Dudley K. (deceased), Ferris E. (a student at Colgate University) and Ina L. Mr. Chaffee removed from Orwell township to Athens in the spring of 1872, and opened a boot and shoe store. He is a Republican, and is one of the leading public-spirited citizens of the borough.
W. B. CHAFFEE, farmer and stock grower, Sheshequin township, P. O. Ghent, was born in Bristol county, Mass., January 30, 1825, and is a son of Wilder and Sabrina (Bowen) Chaffee. His father, by trade a machinist, was born in Massachusetts and came to this county
in 1833, locating in Warren township where he remained until his death, May 7, 1964; his widow survived until December 18, 1889. The father was sixty-eight years old at the time of his death, and the mother was eighty-eight; they had five children, four living: W. B., H. B., Maria E. (married to George Harrington, of Pike, Pa.) and W. P.; Lucy Elminie died February 15, 1864, aged nineteen years. W. B. Chaffee was reared in Warren township, attending school until he was nineteen and received an excellent education for the times. He learned the carpenter and joiner trade, and followed same about ten years. His first farm was in Warren township, purchased in 1835 where he lived two years, then went to the Sheshequin valley where he rented a farm and lived two years. In 1857 he purchased the farm he now occupies consisting of seventy acres, which he cleared, and where he put up all the buildings, all of which he has accumulated by his own exertions. He has always been successful in business. Mr. Chaffee was married December 31, 1851, to Lucy A., daughter of Abram Gore, and grand-daughter of Samuel Gore. To Mr. and Mrs. Chaffee were born two children: Abram G., born February 28, 1853, married to Sarah J., daughter of Joseph and Harriett (Browning) Haigh, and Sarah E., born August 12, 1855, married to H. G. Bidlack. The family are Universalists in religion, and in politics Mr. Chaffee is a Republican.
BYRON A. CHAMBERLAIN, jobber, Towanda, was born in Windham township, this county, July 12, 1845, and is a son of Joseph and Margaret (Hartshorn) Chamberlain. The paternal grandfather Chamberlain, formerly of Unadilla, Otsego Co., N. Y., was a pioneer of Windham township, this county, and was a millwright by trade; in later life he removed to Freeport, Ill., and died there. The maternal grandfather, William Hartshorn, was a native of Connecticut, a soldier of the War of 1812, and was a pioneer of Windham township, where he
cleared and improved a farm, and resided there until his death. Joseph Chamberlain, who was a native of Unadilla, N. Y., was a harness maker by trade, and settled in Windham township with his parents; in 1847 he removed to Orwell township, and worked at his trade there until his death in 1876. He had seven children who grew to maturity, among whom were: Fedilia C. (Mrs. Eli Merrill), Lodenra (Mrs. Ezra Lyon), Nancy (Mrs. Charles Colgrove) and Byron A. Our subject was reared in Orwell township, received a common-school education and learned the harness maker’s trade in the shop of his father. He was in the Civil War, enlisting August 20, 1862, in company D, One Hundred and Forty-first P. V. I., and was promoted to corporal in 1864; he participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Wilderness, North Anna, Cold Harbor, in front of Petersburg, and other engagements, and was at the surrender of Lee at Appomattox. In July, 1863, he was shot through the left thigh at Gettysburg, and was shot through the neck in front of Petersburg June 18, 1864. He was honorably discharged from the service in June, 1865. In October, 1866, he came to Towanda, where he followed his trade as a journeyman from 1867 to 1883. He drove a hack in Towanda, and since 1882 has been a jobber and contractor for the State Line Coal Company. On March 27, 1866 he married Marthena,
J. W. CHAMBERLAIN, physician and surgeon, Wyalusing, though comparatively a young man, has already climbed well toward the top of the profession in this county. He was born in Wyalusing township, August 3, 1859, and is a son of John F. Chamberlain (born September 14, 1814, and died March 11, 1881) and Susan (Terry) Chamberlain (born April 6, 1818, and is still living). They had a family of five children, four yet living, viz.: Nancy Irene, George F., Jennie E. and J. W. Gilbert, the second child, died October 26, 1863, being then twenty-four years old. The father was for many years a merchant of Terrytown, and he purchased a farm on Lime hill, where he resided for several years; then in 1865 he conducted the warehouse and coal office at Wyalusing, remaining in business there for several years; in 1868 he was elected a member of the State Legislature, and was the only man up to that time who received that that honor unsolicited; after serving three years, he returned to Wyalusing and purchased the Washington-Taylor farm, where he resided for about ten years; then retired from active life and removed to the present residence of the family, where he died. Among the many popular residents of his native township none stood high than higher than he; industrious, intelligent and scrupulously honest, he commanded the respect of all. In early life he identified himself with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and contributed liberally to the support of the same; his views on the temperance question were strong, almost to radicalism, and in politics he was a stanch Whig and Republican, taking an active interest in the great political questions of his day: he was a successful businessman. Dr. Chamberlain passed his boyhood on the farm, and in the village of Wyalusing, receiving his English education in the Wyalusing schools and Wyoming Seminary.
In 1883 he began the study of medicine, entering college the same year, and in April, 1886, he was graduated from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, taking the degree of M. D., and was registered in Bradford county that summer, but went to Castleton, Ills., where he formed a partnership with Dr. Holgate, of that place, and practiced one year. He then returned to Wyalusing where he has been in active practice since, and has been very successful. The doctor is a stanch Republican, and takes active interest in politics. His grandfather, Jabez Chamberlain was one of the oldest physicians of the county, and a graduate of one of the old medical colleges of New York.
M. CHAMBERLAIN, blacksmith, Silvara, was born at Lenox, Susquehanna
Co., Pa., December 29, 1851, and is a son of Levi and Martha A. (Betts)
Chamberlain, both living in Salvara, who had three children, two yet living:
M. (our subject), and Phoebe (married to John A. Wood, a liveryman, of
Nebraska City, Kans.). M. Chamberlain was born and reared on a farm, and
was educated in the common schools; at the age of twenty-two he began business
for himself and followed farming one year, and began to learn the trade
in the shop of George E. Chamberlain, of Dimock, Pa., and remained there three years; he then worked a short time with Mr. McVicker, at Eaton, Pa.; he worked as a journeyman about eight years. He was married January 29, 1881, to Libbie Babcock, a daughter of N. P. Babcock, a farmer, of Tuscarora, and for the following two years resided and worked at his trade in Wyalusing, then was one year at elk Lake, and one year at Eaton; then removed to Silvara, where he has pursued his trade up to the present time, having built up a large and growing trade, and is recognized as one of the active business men of the village. Mr. And Mrs. Chamberlain have four children: Leo E., Fay, Lizzie and Willie; politically Mr. Chamberlain is a Republican, but not an active politician.
SAMUEL CHAMBERLIN, farmer, Wysox township, P. O. Myersburg, was born in Susquehanna county, Pa., November 17, 1819, a son of Lewis and Mary (Wood) Chamberlin, natives of New York and Connecticut, respectively, and of English origin. In his father’s family there were seven children, of whom Samuel, who is the second, began life for himself at the age of twenty-one, and took up farming as his occupation; he has lived in his present home since 1842. He was married June 30, 1841, to Elsie Maria, only daughter of William and Abigail (Russell) Moger, and this happy union was blessed with thirteen children, as follows: William, born March 1, 1842 (enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-first Regiment, P. V. I., and was killed at Gettysburg): Alonzo, born August 14, 1843 (was taken prisoner and starved in Salisbury prison, North Carolina); Frances Adaline, born June 28, 1845 (married to Joseph VanScouten, of Wysox, and later to Thomas Burdict, of Black Creek Wis.): Mary A., born September 2, 1846 (married Elisha Strope, of Wysox; Oscar F., born June 24, 1848, a farmer and lumberman of Tomahawk, Wis. (married Elizabeth Emory); Helen M., born March 24, 1850 (married Josiah Smith of Seymour, Wis.); Emma J., born December 16, 1851 (married John Hoaglin of Wysox); Charles H., born August 11, 1853; died October 17, 1854; Charles M., born April 16, 1856, now in Wisconsin; George M., born September 12, 1858, employed in a toy factory in Towanda (married Blanche Luens, of Towanda); Harriett E., born September 11, 1861 (married Jesse Parkhill, a railroad engineer in Wisconsin); Samuel J., born April 10, 1863, working his father’s farm (married to Hetuline Reynolds, of Wysox); and William A., born April 15, 1866 (married to Cora Vanness, of Wysox). Mrs. Chamberlin died November 14, 1888 and Mr. Chamberlin married, for his second wife, Mrs. Alonzo P. Jones (nee Rebecca M. Twining, of Towanda, the eldest of four children of Henry and Chloe (Hickok) Twining of East Smithfield, Pa. Her only brother, John H., was killed in the battle of the Wilderness. Her grandfather, Oliver Hickok, was a captain in the War of 1812. Mr. Chamberlin’s great-grandfather and two brothers came to America from England, his grandfather, William Chamberlain was a Revolutionary soldier, and served through the entire war. Samuel Chamberlin was a member of the Baptist Church, but now attends with his wife, who is in fellowship with Brethren at Towanda. Mr. Chamberlin was a town commissioner for several years.709
H. I. CHANDLER, farmer, P. O. Athens, was born in Athens township, this county, March 26, 1855, a son of Daniel S. And Sarah M. (Campbell) Chandler, the former a native of Athens, the latter of Litchfield township. Daniel S. Chandler is the son of Samuel Chandler, who was born in Orange county, N. Y., and removed in 1805 to Tompkins county, same State, where he remained twenty years; in 1825 he came to this county, locating on what is known as "Prospect Hill," and purchased a farm which he cleared; he died April 23, 1850, in his sixty-eighth year; his wife, Margaret, died October 12, 1851 in her sixty-seventh year. His son, Daniel S., is now living on the old homestead, in his seventy-sixth year, and is the father of seven children, six of whom grew to maturity and are living at the present time. H. I., who is the eldest in the family, was reared and educated in Athens, spending one term in the Rome Academy. On September 30, 1884, he married, at Nichols, N. Y., Miss Eva, daughter of William M. and Mary D. Harris. This union was blessed with two children: Walter D. and Grover L. Mr. Chandler is a general farmer, giving more attention to stock (of which he has a fine assortment) and grain. In 1884 he purchased what is known as the Eastabrook farm of 115 acres. He is an enterprising farmer, and enjoys the full confidence of his townsmen, who elected him to the office of town clerk; politically he is a Democrat.
M. C. CHAPMAN, superintendent, Cayuta Wheel and Foundry Company, Sayre, is a native of Salisbury, Conn., and was born June 25, 1836. His parents were William and Betsy (Crane) Chapman, also natives of Salisbury, Conn., the former of whom, who was a pig-iron manufacturer, was born in January, 1800, and died in 1879; the latter died in 1888, in her eighty-second year. M. C. Chapman is the seventh in a family of four sons and four daughters, all of whom are living, except two girls. He was reared in his native place, and served an apprenticeship in Barnum, Richardson and Co.’s Car Wheel Foundry, and worked there for about five years: then he went to Chicago and helped establish the Barnum & Allen Car Wheel Foundry, where he remained a year, and then proceeded to New Haven, and had charge of the New York & New Haven Railroad shops for about five years; then he went to the Ramapo Car Wheel Works in Rockland county, N. Y. where he remained five years; from there he came to Sayre in in the fall of 1872, and accepted the position he now holds with Cayuta Wheel and Foundry Company. Mr. Chapman was married in Salisbury, Conn., in 1866 to Miss Mary, daughter of William and Margaret (Hall) Wolfe, natives of Dutchess county, N. Y. Mrs. Chapman is the eighth in a family of eleven children, and was born in Salisbury, Conn., in 1845. To Mr. and Mrs. Chapman were born four daughters, as follows: Carrie, Lydia, Bessie and Mable. He is member of the F. & A. M., Montgomery Lodge, No. 13, and a member of the Empire Order. He is a Republican, and served six years as school director in the Independent school district of Sayre; also as township commissioner three years.
DANIEL CHASE, farmer, P. O. Gillett, was born in South Creek township, this county, in 1840, a son of Joseph and
Margaret (Wilson) Chase, natives of Massachusetts and New York, respectively. Joseph Chase was a builder by trade, having been employed in his own neighborhood in the erecting of many buildings; he was the son of David Chase, a ship builder; removed to this county about 1826, first locating in South Creek, then Tioga Point, then went to Springfield, and finally to South Creek, locating on the hill east of what is called "Dunnings," where he remained until his death in 1874, in the seventy-sixth year of his age: his family numbered twelve, ten of whom grew to maturity, eight of them now living; four sons served in the army in the Civil War - William, Wallace, Daniel and John; William was captain; John died of disease; Daniel served in Company F, Twenty-third N. Y. V. I., for the term of two years, and was honorably discharged from his command; then enlisted, for the second time, in Company A, First N. Y. V. C., for the term of three years, or during the war; he served until the close of the war: was wounded at an encounter at Upperville, Va., and during this term of service, he was promoted to first duty sergeant, in which rank he was discharged. He married at Gillett in 1879, Mrs. Williams, widow of the late Orlando Williams, and this union resulted in the birth of one son, John, now in his eighth year. Mr. Chase makes a specialty of dairying, having some very fine graded stock. He has filled the office school director seventeen years; has been town clerk, and now holds the position of commissioner; he is a member of the G. A. R., Good Templars and a Grange; politically he is Independent.
DAVID CHASE, farmer, P. O. Gillett, was born in South Creek township, this county, in September, 1843, a son of Joseph and Margaret (Wilson) Chase, the former of whom was born in Newburyport, Mass., the latter in New York. Joseph Chase was a carpenter and builder, the son of David Chase, a ship-builder by trade. Joseph came to this country about the year 1830, first locating in Athens, then called "Tioga Point," from which he removed to Smithfield; thence to Springfield, and finally came to South Creek township, locating on the hill east of what is now know as "Dunnings," where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1877, when he was in his seventy-second year. He reared a family of fourteen children - eleven sons and three daughters - who grew to maturity, of whom eight are now living, four were in the army, and one died of disease contracted there. David, who is the eleventh in his family, was reared and educated in his native township, at the common school, and in his early life he learned the carpenter’s trade, at which he works more or less in connection with his farm. He spent two years in California, and after his return, in January, 1877, he married Jeanette, daughter of William and Rhoda Ann Chapman, which union resulted in the birth of four children: David W., Nettie N., Chester A., and Lulu. Mr. Chase is engaged in what is termed "mixed farming:" is a man of influence, and has held various offices of trust; has been a constable, collector and school director, and at present time holds the office of assessor. He is a member of the various orders; Good Templars, I. O. O. F., E. A. U., and of the Grange; politically he is a Republican. 711
WILLIAM P. CHASE, farmer, P. O. Gillett, was born in South Creek township, this county, November 25, 1845, a son of Benjamin and Susan (Wilson) Chase, natives of Massachusetts and New Hampshire, respectively. They came to this county about 1820, locating on the farm now occupied by their son William; their family numbered eleven, ten of whom grew to maturity and seven are now living. Our subject, who is the ninth in the family, was reared and educated in South Creek township. On December, 1866, he married, at Bentley Creek, Elizabeth, daughter of John and Almina Cummins, and by this union there were five children, four of whom are now living, as follows: Eva, Ruby, Charles and John. Mr. Chase entered the army in 1864, in Company B, Tenth New York Cavalry, and served until the close of the war; he was honorably discharged and now draws a pension. He is a general farmer, and pays especial attention to grain raising. He is member of the G. A. R., and politically is a Republican.
A. N. CHESLEY, farmer, P. O. Granville Summit, was born in Granville township, this county, May 25, 1837, and is a son of Simon P. And Eliza (Dudley) Chesley. His paternal grandfather, Simon Chesley, was a native of Canada, was a soldier of the Revolutionary War on the American side, and was among the pioneers of Frankship township, this county, and later of Granville township, where he lived until his death; his wife was Betsey Shafer, by whom he had five children, as follows: Simon, Philip, Margaret (Mrs. Henry Downs), Susan (Mrs. Orrin Pratt) and Malachi. Of these, Simon, born in Luzerne county, Pa., was a farmer by occupation, and cleared a large tract of land on Granville Summit; he was a soldier in the Civil War, and died of disease contracted while in the service of his country. His wife was a daughter of Abner Dudley, of Burlington, this county, and by her had eight children: A. Neton, Betsey (Mrs. Henry Tinklepaugh), Philip, Eunice (Mrs. David Webb), Margaret (Mrs. Edgar Van Horn), John, Susan (Mrs. Michael Collins) and Mary (Mrs. Philander Fleming). A. Neton Chesley was reared in Granville township, and has always followed farming. He married Eliza J., daughter of Roswell and Harriet (Loomis) White, of Canton township, this county, and has one son, Oscar, who married Sadie, daughter of Lewis and Sarah (Shoemaker) Spalding, of Granville township, and has two children: Clarence R. and Roy. Mr. A. N. Chesley and his son are enterprising citizens of Granville, and in politics are Democrats.
C. A. CHILD,, merchant, Franklindale, was born in Smithfield, Bradford, Co., Pa., March 8, 1857. He is the son of A. E. and Marian A. (Phelps) Child, the former of whom was born in Warren, R. I., the latter in Smithfield, Pa. His father is the son of Edward Child, a ship-builder, of Rhode Island, who removed to and settled in Smithfield in 1819. His father and family moved to Smithfield at the same time, and were obliged to come by water to Newberg, N. Y., and then by lumber wagon to Athens, Pa.; there were four families altogether, and thirteen in number. At that time land was offered them, anywhere between Athens and South Waverly, at $1.00 per acre. Edward Child engaged in farming, having a family
later, of eleven children, but only six of them grew to maturity, and but three are now living. For quite a number of years Edward Child went to Warren or Bristol, R. I., and worked at ship-building from April to December, and a part of the time on ships engaged in the slave trade. After working as above at Bristol, R. I., Chas. Child’s father commenced learning the wagon-maker’s trade, but after two years was obliged to discontinue on account of poor health, and was, later on, clerk in different stores, taught school,, etc. And carried on the grocery business in Smithfield from 1877 to 1889; he sold out at the age of seventy years, on account of poor health.
Chas. A. Child, the subject proper of these lines, who is the second in the family, was educated at the common school in Smithfield; at the age of fourteen he went to clerk in a store at Emporium, Cameron Co., Pa., which he followed successfully until he now owns and controls a large establishment. In 1878 he went in business for himself in Smithfield, and in 1880 he removed to Franklindale, where he now commands an extensive business in drugs and general merchandise. At the age of twenty-two he married, in Sheshequin, April 23, 1879, Miss Aline, daughter of Elisha and Eliza Newell, the former a native of Sheshequin, and the latter of Orange county, N. Y. To them has been born one child, Harry, born May 24, 1886. In conjunction with the store Mr. Child has held the office of postmaster eleven years; politically he is a Republican.
RUFUS W. CHILD, farmer, P. O. East Smithfield, was born April 12, 1845, in East Smithfield, a son of Christopher and Harriet (Wright) Child, the former a native of Rhode Island. They came to this county in early life, and settled on a farm near where Rufus W. now resides. The grandfather, Christoper Child, was a sea captain, born in 1775, and a descendant of the Welch nobility; the family have a crest, printed in London in 1797, presented to the captain by his relative, Sir Josias Child, which indicated that the name of Child was one of considerable note in England. Rufus W. Child, when seventeen years of age, enlisted in the service of his country, in Company K, One Hundred and Forty-first P. V. I., and went to the front; his brother Christopher was also in the War of the Rebellion. Mr. Child went west in 1879 to Dakota, where he dealt largely in cattle, remaining in the West en years. He was married August 20, 1885, to Franc A., one of a family of ten children, six of whom are living, born to George and Elizabeth (Smith) Bartholomew, of Ulster, natives of this county; her father’s family were of the pioneers of Sheshequin. Mr. Child owns a fine farm of two hundred acres in East Smithfield township, and is principally engaged in dairying and stock raising, his cattle being of the Durham and Holstein breeds. He is a thorugh and prosperous farmer. In politics he is a Republican, was elected county commissioner, and served several years while in Dakota. Mr. and Mrs. Child have had no children.
FRANCIS CHILSON, miller and farmer, P. O. Macedonia, was born in the town of Asylum, this county, May 20, 1844, and is a son of David and Jane (Bennett) Chilson, natives of Asylum township, this county, and pioneers of Macedonia. Grandfather Bennett was
in the War of the Revolution. The subject of this memoir was reared on his father’s farm, and educated in the schools of the neighborhood. When twenty years of age he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Forty-first P. V. I., and was in sixteen battles of the war for the Union, acquitting himself with distinguished honor at all times. At the close of the war, he returned home and commenced farming on his own account. He was first married, in 1864, to Ella Benjamin (now deceased), and they had one son, Glennie B., born July 27, 1874. Mr. Chilson afterward married Adelia, daughter of S. P. Henson, of Burlington, and there have been born to them three children, as follows: Carrie L., born August 29, 1882; Jennie, born November 29, 1886; and Leon H., born June 8, 1890. Mr. Chilson now owns the Smith Mills where he does a business in milling, sawing lumber and making shingles and also cider in its season. He now manufactures more buckwheat flour than any other miller in the county; he is a member of the Patrons of Industry, and in politics he is a Republican. Mr. Chilson and family are widely known as being among our most prominent and highly respected people.
L. S. CHUBBUCK, farmer and stock grower, Orwell, was born in Orwell, this county, February 20, 1822, and is a son of Nathaniel Chubbuck, Jr., who was born in Connecticut, September 5, 1789, a son of Nathaniel, Sr., born October 16, 1764, married November 27, 1788 to Chloe Eaton, and died March 13, 1825; she was born March 4, 1768, and died October 11, 1832, and had a family of twelve children, as follows: Nathaniel, Aaron (born August 4, 1791, married to Matilda Dimmick, and died August 19, 1881), Hannah (born February 16, 1793) married to Joseph Hamilton, and resided in Windham where she died August 7, 1865), Dr. John (born February 22, 1797), a physician of note, and surgeon of the First Regiment of Engineers, Corps d’Afrique, in the service at Bragos and Santiago, Texas, in 1863-64; he died in Binghamton, N. Y., March 18, 1878), Jacob (born March 5, 1797), Shelden (born June 3, 1799, died March 22, 1804), James (born April 5, 1801), married to Pamelia Keeney, and died February 7 1873), Chloe (born December 8, 1803, married to Levi Frisbie, and died August 20, 1860), Daniel O. (born May 17, 1805, married Polly Oakley; was a farmer of this county for many years, but finally removed to Mount Vernon, Iowa, where he died June 3, 1880), Hollis S. (born March 13, 1809; he practiced medicine at Orwell Hill many years, and removed to Elmira, N. Y. where he built up a very large practice and died there March 4, 1883), Austin E. (born June 16, 1810, was first a farmer then a merchant at Elmira, and became a successful Methodist minister of the Genesee Conference, and died in Elmira, April 15, 1882), Francis S. (born March 10, 1812; he followed in farming Orwell until 1849, when he joined the Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church; for many years was a successful and brilliant preacher; was chaplain for the First Regiment of Engineers, Corps. D’Afrique in service at Bragos and Santiago, Texas, in 1863-64; he died at Nichols, N. Y., May 15, 1890). Nathaniel Chubbuck came to this county in 1811, and after a short absence, when he returned in the spring of 1812, he found the roof of his log cabin crushed in by the
L. S. Chubbuck was born and reared on the farm he occupies, receiving a common-school education, and a course at Towanda Academy. At the age of sixteen he began teaching, and followed it many years; during his earlier years he would teach in the winters, farm during the summer, and attend the Academy of Towanda during the fall term. Completing his academical course, he continued teaching and farming nearly thirty years, then quit teaching and devoted his entire attention to farming; has always made his home on the old homestead, and has assited in clearing over 100 acres thereof; now owns 176 acres of fine farm land, which his son assists in managing and which is well stocked. Mr. Chubbuck was united in marriage August 21, 1845, with Phoeba, born September 1, 1822, the fifth of a family of nine children of Daniel and Deborah (Richardson) Gleason, of Connecticut. To Mr. and Mrs. Chubbuck have been born four children: Mary E. (born February 1, 1847, married to Dr. O. D. Stiles, of Elmira, N. Y.); Melvile E. (born June 17, 1852, married to Stella Pitcher, and is now bookkeeper in the employ of D. T. Evans, of Towanda): Clara E. (born April 17, 1854, married to C. W. Stevens); Ephton E. (born February 3, 1862, married to Jennie Manley; he is a school teacher, also assists his father on on the farm; he was married February 17, 1888, and has one child, Manley Eaton. Besides their farm business the father and son are extensive drovers, shipping to markets in the southern part of the State. Mr. Chubbuck has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Orwell, since his sixteenth year, and is an earnest worker in the same; he now holds the position of recording steward and secretary of the board of trustees; he is a Republican, and has held the office of auditor of the township for thirty years, with the exception of three years, when he held the office of town commissioner.
O. J. CHUBBUCK, Towanda, was born in Orwell township, this county, May 7, 1825. His father, Jacob Chubbuck, was the fourth child in a family of twelve - ten sons and two daughters - of Nathaniel and Chloe Chubbuck. Jacob Chubbuck was born March 5, 1797, in Ellington, Tolland county, Conn., whence he came, in 1814, with his