Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
History of Bradford County by Bradsby
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Return to Bradsby Table of Contents
Contact Joyce
Retyped by  Bonnie Miller
Postcard from Joyce's collection

History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches

By H. C. Bradsby, 1891

Biographical Sketches pp. 715-724
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just this Bradsby book by using the Bradsby button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page

brother Aaron to Orwell. He returned to his native place where he was married to Minerva Tupper, October 7, 1819, and then brought her to the Orwell farm, where he lived until about a year before his death in 1873. At the time of his coming there was a small log house, and a clearing of about one acre, all else around him being an unbroken forest. Here he reared his family of six children – three sons and three daughters. The subject of this sketch being the second. The Chubbucks are of English stock; two brothers, Charles and Nathaniel, immigrants, landed at Plymouth, Nathaniel settling at Wareham, Mass. His son, Ebenezer, was in the French-Indian War, fighting under the British flag, and afterward was in the Revolutionary War, rising to the rank of lieutenant in the line; he died in 1810. His son Nathaniel (grandfather of subject), with his wife, Chloe, and daughter Chloe (Mrs. Levi Frisbie), came to Orwell in 1818 and settled near his sons, Nathaniel, Aaron and Jacob. He purchased a large tract of land in Orwell, which, in time, became the farms of O. J. Chubbuck, E. C. Bull, Charles Pendleton, and C. J. Chubbuck. The family came from Connecticut in the primitive pioneer way – an ox-cart, driven by their son James, while the other boy, Daniel, drove the cows. Nathaniel, grandfather of O. J. Chubbuck, was born October 16, 1764, and died March 13, 1825; his wife, Chloe, was born March 14, 1768, and died October 11, 1832. Nathaniel Chubbuck, Jr., was born September 5, 1789, and died August 1, 1865.

O. J. Chubbuck, the subject of this sketch, was reared in Orwell township, at the old family home, receiving his education in the public schools and in an Academy. In the winter of 1844-45 he commenced teaching, but as the wages of teachers were small here, he went to Schuylkill, Berks and Columbia counties. He was, from the first, one of the most active school men of his day, and took a prominent part in organizing the Bradford County Teachers Association, which first met in January, 1855. In 1857 he was secretary of the Orwell School Board, and sent a request to the county superintendent of schools (Charles R. Coburn) to hold a County Teachers Institute at Orwell, and the first Institute in the county was in Orwell commencing September 7, 1857, of which Mr. Chubbuck was president and one of the principal teachers and lecturers therein. It is not amiss to explain here that he was, in his school work and in much of his education, a self-made man, one who rapidly rose and was widely honored as one of the leading educators in the county. In 1863, during his second term as justice of the peace, he was elected county superintendent of schools; he served his term and we re-elected in 1866, serving two full terms, and was a chief factor in organizing the graded schools of the county. At the Institute of 1857, of which he was president, he exhibited a school-room globe of his own make and pattern, constructed and mounted very much as are those now found in our Public Schools. His devotion to his office and interest in the schools of the county are visible in the effects still in force. In 1872 he was elected register and recorder of Bradford county, filling this as other official positions, with fidelity, ability and eminence. In an active, busy life he has not been a man of merely one idea. He, early in life, espoused the cause of temperance, being an active and zealous member of the I. O. G. T., and a representative of his Lodge in the Right Worthy Grand Lodge at Ithaca, before the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania was organized. Since the repeal of the "local option law", in 1875, he has been an open and avowed advocate of prohibition. His addresses on the subjects of education for the young and temperance for all have become a part of the county’s literature. Earnest in his convictions and fearless in their defense, he has never been touched with bigotry or fanaticism. And in the patient years of his active life he has been enabled to evolve a system of mental philosophy, which, in his mind, bears a like relation to the truths of mental science, as the Copernican system of astronomy does to the movement of the Heavenly bodies. A study of the form and motions of the earth led to a correct system of astronomy; so the study of the motions in one’s own mind may lead to a knowledge equally as conclusive and satisfactory. This seems true in his case, and seems in line with Scripture. This rather abstruse subject he has not pushed upon the public; he is content at present to leave the whole to the future, merely with the suggestion, confident it will at some time be taken up and carried to the full. He will remain more prominent as a chief promoter of our schools, and as an organizer and lecturer on schools and temperance, in his writings and published addresses. He was a delegate to county and State conventions, and as a member and officer in society meetings, and as a promoter of the prohibition party, he has stood as a central figure. Before the Prohibition State Convention in 1882 he delivered an address that attracted wide and favorable notice. Mr. Chubbuck has been twice married: his first wife was Eunice Hicks, to whom he was married June 28, 1849; she died December 10, 1857, and he married, May 5, 1859, Ann E. Keeney, the daughter of Simon Z. Keeney, of Scotch and English descent. The family are active members of the Methodist Church, and he takes a prominent part in the Sunday-school, of which he was superintendent in Orwell, and a Church trustee. He is a member of the K. of P. Lodge, No. 290, and has served as deputy and keeper of records and seal, and representative to the Grand Lodge.

REV. S. A. CHUBBUCK, minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Orwell, was born August 9, 1830, on the farm now owned by O. J. Chubbuck, in Orwell township, and is a son of Jacob and Minerva (Tupper) Chubbuck. His grandfather, Nathaniel Chubbuck, was a native of Connecticut, who came to Orwell in early times, and located in the neighborhood, purchasing a large tract of land. He had a large family of children, many of whom distinguished themselves in their various professions. John was a physician of note; Hollis also was a physician, and practiced many years in Orwell, then in Elmira; A. E. was a Methodist Episcopal minister of the Wyoming Conference, and died in Nichols, N.Y., in 1890, being the last of that family; Aaron was a justice of the peace in Orwell many years and associate judge, occupying the bench with David Wilmot; and Jacob (the father of S. A. Chubbuck), a farmer, was one of the best-known citizens of the county. He reared a family of children as follows: Harriet M., married to George Crowfoot, whom she survives; O.J., of Towanda; Chloe E., married to P.W. Champion of Lanark, Ill.; S.A.; Ellen M., married to Leonard O. brown; Tracy J.; Julia M., who died, age twelve years. S.A. Chubbuck was born and reared on a farm, and received his education in the common schools and at Orwell Hill Academy. He became a surveyor, followed that occupation some time, and has done a large amount of surveying in this county; went West about 1854, and located in Minneapolis, Minn., working at the carpenter and joiner trade a short time; then entered mercantile business there. He joined the church, and feeling a Divine call to preach he sold out his business and began his ministerial work in 1859; was ordained deacon in the fall of 1860, and for ten years was an earnest work on the western frontier. He returned to his native State, entered the Central New York Conference, with which he was connected about twenty years, and in 1890 he was superannuated; he then purchased his present farm, which was a part of his grandfather’s estate, and contains 100 acres of fine land. Mr. Chubbuck was united in wedlock, September 21, 1862, with C. B. Pendleton, daughter of Charles and Aurelin M. (Buffington) Pendleton, and to them have been born two children; Allie L. and Charles P. Mr. Chubbuck is a Prohibitionist, an earnest worker in the vineyard of the Lord, and his labors have been crowned with noted success. Surrounded by an interesting family and a host of friends, he is now enjoying a well-earned repose.

TRACY J. CHUBBUCK, farmer, P. O. Orwell, was born on the old homestead in Orwell township, this county, January 1, 1840, and is a son of Jacob Chubbuck. He passed his boyhood on the farm, and received his education in the common schools. On August 6, 1862, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Forty-first P. V. I., and served in the ranks until just before the battle of Chancellorsville, when he was detailed on detached service, as a member of the brigade band. He was in the battle of Fredericksburg, while in the ranks, and was under fire in almost every engagement of the regiment subsequent to that; although scratched several times by both ball and shell he was never seriously wounded, though, being on detached duty, he was in many dangerous foraging expeditions. After seeing as dangerous and as hard service as almost anyone in the army, he was mustered out with his regiment, returned home and resumed farming, the first summer with his brother, O. J. Chubbuck, the next season on the Erie canal with his brother-in-law, George Crobutt, then for some time was in the West. Returning home, he was united in marriage, February 3, 1869, with Nancy M., daughter of Peleg and Mary (Seely) Tripp, of New York, whose family consisted of eleven children of whom six reached maturity, viz.: Seymore, Nancy M., William, Jonathan (deceased), Jacob and Emma (married to Nathan Grant). In 1869 Mr. Chubbuck purchased his farm where he has since resided. Rheumatism and heart trouble came to him through exposure during his term of service, which renders him unfit to do manual labor, but he oversees his farm which contains ninety acres of fine farm land. To Mr. and Mrs. Chubbuck have been born two children: Clarence T. (a jeweler, born January 24, 1872), and Cora E. (born February 24, 1877). The family worship at the Methodist Episcopal Church of Orwell Hill. He is a member of the Stevens Post, No. 69, G. A. R., at Rome, and has filled the chairs of junior and senior vice-commander; is a Prohibitionist, and has held the office of school director. Mr. Chubbuck has passed his life, with the exception of the time spent in the army, in this section, where he and his estimable lady have built up a large circle of friends, and are noted for their geniality and hospitality.

CALVIN W. CHURCHILL, retired farmer, Granville township, P. O. Le Roy, was born in Stockbridge, Berkshire Co., Mass., July 23, 1809, a son of Alvah (who was a son of Jacob Churchill) and Aurelia (Andrus) Churchill, who settled in Granville township, this county, in 1817, locating near Granville Centre, where the father worked at the tinsmith’s trade and farmed on a small scale until his death. Alvah Churchill and his wife, Aurelia (daughter of Elisha Andrus, formerly of Berkshire, Mass., who settled in Granville township in 1820), had four children: Achsah (Mrs. Dunham Ross), Calvin W., Amanda (Mrs. Harry Bailey) and Fayette. Calvin W. Churchill, from nine years of age, was reared in Granville township, where he has since remained; he cleared and improved the farm of eighty acres he now occupies. He has been twice married; his first wife was Lura, daughter of Hugh and Prudence (Bailey) Holcomb, of Le Roy township, and by her he had three children, who grew to maturity: Olney, Lutilia (Mrs. Hollis A. Holcomb) and Martha (Mrs. D. S. Sherman); his second wife was Mrs. Mehitable (Ralyea) Gee, of Granville township; he is a member of the Christian Church, and in politics is a Republican.

JOHN CLAPPER, farmer, Tuscarora township, P. O. Silvara, was born in New Baltimore, N. Y., a son of William P. and Catherine (McCarg) Clapper, the former of German lineage and the latter of Irish, both being natives of New York. His father, who was a carpenter and joiner by trade and a soldier in the War of 1812, reared a family of nine children, as follows: Hanna M. (deceased), married to David Jay, of Broome county, N. Y.; Peter, a farmer in Tuscarora; Margaret (Mrs. P. F. Hardee); John, the subject of these lines; William, a farmer in Tuscarora; Sally Ann (Mrs. Edward Merbaker), of Rome; Mary Jane; Julia (Mrs. William Featherly), and Abram, a farmer in Michigan. Mr. Clapper learned the carpenter and joiner’s trade and worked at it with his father until 1840, when he settled on a farm in Tuscarora township, and has since been engaged chiefly in farming, but occasionally working at his trade. He married, for his first wife, Harriet, daughter of J. C. and Margaret (French) Culver, of Sheshequin, by whom he had ten children, viz.: Elmer L., a merchant in New York; Amelia (deceased); James, a farmer in Tuscarora; Icelda (Mrs. Nathaniel Strickland, in Tuscarora); Margaret (deceased); Daniel L., a farmer in Tuscarora; Catherine (deceased); Harriet (Mrs. Joel Carter, of Montrose); John F., a farmer in Pike, and Angeline, married to Wallace W. Gaylord, of Wyalusing. Mr. Clapper married, for his second wife, Malvina, daughter of George and Fannie (Phelps) Maxfield Bennett, of Tuscarora. Mr. Clapper is a stanch Republican, and has held the office of school director nine years; constable, six years; assessor, three years; commissioner, six years, and several minor offices; he is a friend of honest government, and a man of whom the community may well be proud.

BENJAMIN CLARK, farmer, P. O. East Canton, was born in Orange County, N. Y., August 25, 1822, a son of Samuel and Hannah (Van Fleet) Clark, also natives of Orange county. Our subject came to Bradford county in 1847, locating where Lindly Stone now lives, in Le Roy, where he resided five years, after which he removed to his present residence. He was reared and educated in Orange county, N. Y., and on February 9, 1841, he was united in marriage with Arminda, daughter of Noyse and Nancy Wickham, of Orange county. He enlisted in the Twelfth New York Cavalry, Company I, serving one year, after which he was honorably discharged, and he now draws a pension of $8.00 per month. He is the father of four children, three of whom are now living: Nancy M., married to Holcey Clark; Elmira J., married to John Shoemaker; and Harding, married to Ella M. Dunbar, by which union there is one son, Harry Ashton, born May 18, 1875. Mr. Clark resides on a farm of fifty-two acres of well-improved land, all of which is under cultivation; he raises grain, stock and butter. He is a member of the Church of Christ, and of the G. A. R. Politically he is an Independent Republican, and has been honored with several town offices, all of which he discharged with credit.

B. M. CLARK, undertaker, Rome, was born July 22,1845, on the farm owned by his brother, and is a son of Harry and Ellen (Brown) Clark, natives of this county. His boyhood was passed on his father’s farm, and in attending school in Rome and Orwell; he afterward learned the trade of mason. His first farm was the old homestead which contained one hundred and twenty acres, which he sold to his brother, and in 1876 he built his present residence – an elegant house containing all modern conveniences. He was united in marriage October 20, 1868, with Eliza Vought, daughter of John and Esther (Horton) Vought (the former born at Standing Stone and the latter in Sheshequin), whose family consisted of six children of which Mrs. Clark is the second. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have an adopted child, May, now in her twelfth year; the family worship at the Baptist Church. Mr. Clark is an unswerving Republican in politics, and has held the office of township commissioner for two years, besides other local offices. The Clark family are well-known and highly respected by a large circle of friends.

GILBERT M. CLARK, shoe merchant, contractor, and dealer in horses, Towanda, was born in Athens township, this county, September 14, 1846, and is a son of Samuel S. and Rachel (Smith) Clark, both natives of New York State, who settled in Athens township about 1830, where his father engaged in lumbering and farming , and cleared and improved the farm on which he at present resides; their children were Charles M., James H., Samuel W., Gilbert M. and Rachel A. (Mrs. Edgar Knight). Our subject was reared in Athens township, where he received a common-school education. During the late Civil War he was engaged in buying horses for the Government, and in 1966 settled in Towanda, where he was engaged as a contractor on what is now the Lehigh Valley Railroad, one and a half years. In 1868 he embarked in the shoe business, which, with the exception of one year, he has since carried on. Since 1885 he has also been engaged as a contractor on street paving, and since 1887 as a buyer and seller of Canadian horses. On January 20, 1870, he married Mary, daughter of Abraham and Eliza (Reed) Clark, of Angelica, N. Y. He is a Royal Arch Mason, Scottish Rite, and is a past high priest of Chapter No. 108 of Towanda; politically he is a stanch Democrat.

HARRY CLARK, retired farmer, was born in Rome township, Bradford Co., Pa., May 1, 1808, and is the son of Laflet and Lois (Parks) Clark. Laflet Clark was a native of Pennsylvania, who came to this county and located at Standing Stone several years prio to Harry’s birth, and was a pioneer farmer and lumberman of this section; he died in Rome township at the advanced age of eighty-four years. Harry Clark spent his boyhood in the wilderness, attending school as much as the opportunities would permit; his first teacher was Lena Woodburn, and he was present when that school-house was demolished by a cyclone; he passed his boyhood and early manhood in clearing away the forests, and has made thirty-seven trips down the river lumbering, walking all the way on the return trip, which usually required five days; he earned the money with which to buy his first pair of shoes by cutting the timber from one acre of land, and then got cheated in the shoes; he now owns one hundred and thirty acres. Mr. Clark was twice married, first, January 27, 1839, to Ellen Brown, who died October 14, 1854; for his second wife he married, January 19, 1855, C. O. Parks; he has had six children, five by his first wife, and one by his second, viz.: John M., B. M., Laflet, Lemuel, Ellen (married to Oscar Middaugh), Frances (married to William Loyd). Mr. Clark is one of the old landmarks of this section, having spent his long, and useful life within the township’s borders; he is a Republican.

H. L. CLARK, of the firm of Gleason & Clarks, tanners, Canton, was born in Canton, this county, June 23, 1869, a son of Byron W. and Elizabeth (Mitchell) Clark. He is the third in order of birth in a family of four children, and was reared in Canton, and received his education in the graded schools of that place; took a course in bookkeeping and stenography at the School of Commerce, in Elmira, N. Y., and taught the latter branch a short time in the college there. He held the position of private secretary for the president of the New York and Pennsylvania Telephone Company, in New York City, about two months, then returning to Canton, he purchased in May, 1887, an interest in the Canton tannery, which he has been connected with since. He was married in Canton February 6, 1890, to Ida G., daughter of Henry and Maria (Griffin) Spencer, natives of Union township, Tioga Co., Pa., and Canton township, this county, respectively. Henry Spencer is a farmer, and resides in Canton township. Mrs. Clark is the only child, and was born in Canton township October 11, 1867; she is a member of the Disciple Church, Mr. Clark being a member of the Baptist. Politically he is a Prohibitionist.

J. FRED CLARK, of the firm of Gleason & Clarks, tanners, is a native of Tioga county, Pa., and was born March 14, 1864, a son of Byron and Elizabeth (Mitchell) Clark, also natives of Tioga county. The father, who was a druggist and banker, served as burgess of the borough, and was a school director, being a member of the board when the school was established; he died in 1879, in his forty-eighth year. Mrs. Clark married the second time, and is now the wife of L. R. Gleason, and resides in Canton. Our subject, who is the eldest in a family of four children, was reared in Tioga county, Pa., until four years of age, when the family moved to Canton. He received his education in the borought schools, and the Elmira School of Commerce. He clerked in his father’s drug store until 1880, and then attended the high school, studying special branches in 1882; went West and traveled through different States six months, after which he returned and went to work in the Canton tannery, and in 1884 he purchased from the heirs his father’s interest in the drug store of Clark & Whitman, and was in the drug business until 1887. Selling his interest to his partner, J. O. Whitman, he, with his brother, H. B., bought a one-half interest in the Canton Tannery, since which time he has been superintendent of the business. Mr. Clark was married in Addison, N. Y., in 1885, to Frances C., daughter of George and Anna (Baldwun) Taggart, natives of New York; her father was a merchant and hotel keeper; he served as quarter-master during the war, and was made brevet major for gallant service. Mrs. Clark is the third in a family of four children, and was born in Addison, N. Y., September 28, 1863; she is a member of the Episcopal, Mr. Clark of the Baptist Church. Politically, he is a Prohibitionist.

S. S. CLARK, farmer, Athens township, P. O. Wilawana, was born October 25, 1810, in Candor, Tioga, Co., N. Y., a son of Samuel S. and Mary (Van Tile) Clark, both of whom were born in Orange county, N. Y., of English and Dutch descent. S. S. Clark, Sr., was the son of Jacob Clark, a soldier of Revolutionary fame. Jonathan Van Tile, his grandfather, was also in the Revolutionary War. S. S. Clark died about 1824; his wife in 1814. Our subject was four years old when his mother died, and fourteen at the time of his father’s death; he is the fourth in a family of eight, only two of whom are now living; he is eighty-one years old and is in good health. He removed to this county in November, 1835, locating in what is now known as Wilawana, but then as Orcut Creek, and a wilderness, but by patience and hard toil he has made it a paradise. Daniel Orcut was the first settler, and sold Mr. Clark his lot of thirty-five acres, to which he has added two other lots of fifty and twenty-three acres, respectively. In December, 1831, he married Rachel, daughter of Waite and Rachel Smith, and to this union were born seven children, five of whom are now living, as follows: Charles M.; J. H., a contractor on the D. L. & W. R. R.; S. W., grain dealer in Elmira, N. Y.; G. M., who has a shoe store in Towanda; and R. A. (Mrs. Knight). Mr. Clark is a retired farmer, living with his daughter, Mrs. R. A. Knight, on his own homestead; his wife died May 4, 1877, at the age of sixty-four years. He has held the office of justice of the peace ten years; is a member of the F. & A. M., and politically he is a Democrat.

ISAAC CLEAVER, of Cleaver & Bailey, prominent dealers in general merchandise, Troy, was born in Covington, Tioga Co., Pa., January 21, 1843, a son of Samuel and Mary E. (Jackson) Cleaver, and comes of Quaker stock. He was reared in his native county and received a common-school education; when twenty years of age he began his business career as a clerk in his native town, and in 1865 located in Troy where he was clerk in the store of Newberry & Peck until 1874, when he was admitted into partnership, and that business was conducted under the firm name of Newberry, Peck & Co., until January 1, 1890, when Messrs. Newberry & Peck retired, and the firm has since been Cleaver & Bailey. Mr. Cleaver married, in 1867, Maria L., daughter of James H. and Lydia (Palmer) Willour, and by her has two children: Harry and Mary Emily. Mr. Cleaver is one of the live enterprising business men of Troy, and a popular merchant; he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, a Sir Knight Templar, and in politics a Republican.

E. J. CLEVELAND, attorney at law and insurance agent, Canton, is a native of Masonville, Delaware Co., N. Y., born July 7, 1856, a son of Dr. J. E. Cleveland, of Canton, also a native of Masonville, born August 4, 1829; his parents were Josiah D. and Lucy (Bryant) Cleveland, natives of Connecticut. The Doctor began the practice of medicine in his native place in 1859, and in the fall of 1860 came to Canton; and has followed his profession in that place since. He was married in Franklin, N. Y., in 1850, to Nancy T., daughter of John and Phoebe (Kiff) Lyon, natives of Bloomville, Delaware Co., N. Y. Mrs. Cleveland was born in Bloomville, N. Y., March 17, 1827. The subject of this memoir, who is the younger of two children living, was reared in Ogdensburg, Pa. There he remained until 1875, when he removed to Canton, and has since resided here. He received his education in the graded schools, and took private lessons of Prof. H. E. Raessly, now superintendent of the Tioga County Schools; began reading law under Davis & Carnochan in 1878, and was admitted to the bar in February, 1881; engaged in the insurance business in 1885, purchasing the agencies of John A. Moody and R. M. Manley. He was married in Canton, July 16, 1884, to Jennie F., daughter of Francis S. and Elizabeth W. (Davis) Elliott, natives of Bradford county. Francis Elliott was a builder and contractor, and died in Canton in 1880, aged sixty years. Mrs. Cleveland is the fifth in the order of birth in a family of three daughters and three sons, and was born in Canton township, this county, in October 1859. To Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland were born two children: Florence J. and Eloise F. Mrs. Cleveland is a member of the Disciple Church. Mr. Cleveland is a member of the F. & A. M., Canton Lodge, No. 415, and Troy Chapter, No. 261; also a member of the I. O. O. F., Canton Lodge, No. 321, and holds office of U. G. of the Canton Encampment, also the office of S. W.; is secretary of the Innes Hose Co.; secretary of the Equitable Aid Union, and secretary of the Underwriters Association. Politically he is an Independent, and is serving his second term as justice of the peace.

FRANKLIN COBURN, farmer and stock grower, P. O. Warren Centre, is a native of Warren township, this county, born July 18, 1831, on the farm where he resides, a son of Daniel H. and Harriet (Dening) Coburn, natives of Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, respectively, and of good old English stock. Daniel was the son of Moses and Maria (Horton) Coburn, of Connecticut. Moses came to this county about the year 1800, and located in Warren township, where his wife died in December, 1849, he dying June 1, 1850; their children were nine in number, as follows: Daniel H., Roswell L. (married to Lucy Keeler, both deceased, leaving five children), Frances (Mrs. James Olmstead, who died, the mother of seven children), Phebe (Mrs. Nathan Young, Jr., who died July 27, 1844, her husband June 2, 1890), Mary (deceased), Augustus (married to Sophia Manning, had four children, and both died in 1873), George (married to Caroline Barton, and had four children), Harriet (Mrs. Herman Knapp, had three children, and she died in 1880), Betsey (Mrs. Landers) residing in Owego. Daniel H. Coburn was reared in Warren township, and died in 1876; his wife in 1872; they had six children: Franklin, Maria (Mrs. John C. Manning), Mary S. (Mrs. Newman N. Bowen, who had four children and died in 1876), Ellen (Mrs. Lewis A. Bosworth, died in 1864), Julia (Mrs. George M. Griswold, of Owego, has three children) and Daniel F. (who served his country in the Civil War in the One Hundred and Ninth N. Y. V. I., and was killed January 16, 1865, by the explosion at Fort Fisher; at the time of his death he was a lieutenant). Franklin Coburn grew to manhood on the farm, and learned a more practical life than that of books, but was sufficiently advanced to teach school several terms, going to New Jersey, in 1851, to teach, returning in 1866, and has since devoted his time wholly to his farm of one hundred and forty acres. He was married in New Jersey, in 1856, to Catherine M. Mauley, daughter of Rev. John and Martha Vandeveer, natives of New Jersey, and of English descent, who reared a family of seven children, Catherine being the second (she was reared and educated in New Brunswick). To Mr. and Mrs. Coburn have been born five children, as follows: Charles R., married to Carrie Chaffee, and has one child, Hattie; Martha D.; Daniel F.; Sarah D. and Maud E. The family worship at the Presbyterian Church, of which Mr. Coburn in elder; in politics he is a Republican.

J. P. COBURN, merchant, Orwell Hill, was born in Warren township, this county, December 16, 1837, a son of Sidney and Lois (Merricle) Coburn, whose ancestors came from Connecticut to Warren township, this county, in an early day. Sidney Coburn was born in Warren township in 1802, and died in 1844. He had a family of four children, of whom J. P. is the youngest; the mother died May 6, 1891. J. P. Coburn lived on his father’s farm and received his early education in the district schools, and at Towanda Collegiate Institute. He began his attendance there, teaching winters, and continued his attendance, teaching during the winter terms four years. On August 13, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-first as clerk in the commissary department; he was never off duty or absent a day from his brigade during his time of service. He was mustered out with his regiment, returned home and resumed teaching and farming until 1869, when he sold his farm and formed a partnership with A. C. Frisbie, opening a store in Orwell Hill, where he has since remained. In 1876 he purchased his partner’s interest, and has continued alone; was elected a member of the Legislature of Pennsylvania om 1882, serving one term. Is a stock-holder and one of the managers of the Orwell Creamery Company, which was organized in 1887 (the company manufactured about 47,000 pounds of butter in 1890, and paid the farmers over $7,000 for milk). He was one of the corporators of the Orwell library in 1876, and has ever since been its librarian. Mr. Coburn was married in September, 1871, to Harriet G., a daughter of Lewis Barns, and they have four children: Sidney L., Lois D., Carrie E. and Gertrude. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he is secretary, and member of the board of trustees; he has been a member of the F. & A. M. over twenty years; is a member of Stevens Post, No. 69, G. A. R., and in politics he is a Republican.

LEWIS R. COBURN, hardware merchant, Towanda, was born in Warren township, this county, September 22, 1845, and is a son of George and Caroline (Barton) Coburn. His paternal grandfather, Moses Coburn, was a native of New England and a pioneer of Warren township, where he cleared and improved a farm, and reared a family of nine children, as follows: Daniel, Roswell, Augustus, Frances (Mrs. James Olmstead), George, Harriet (Mrs. Harmon Knapp), Mary, Phebe (Mrs. Nathan Young) and Betsey (Mrs. Landers). The maternal grandfather was Lewis Barton, a pioneer of Susquehanna county, Pa. George Coburn spent most of his life in farming and teaching school, for which his services were much sought. He died in Tioga county, N. Y., in 1878; his children were: Arabella (Mrs. John Kelley), Caroline, Lewis B. and Edward. Lewis B. Coburn was reared in Tioga county, N. Y., and educated in the public and commercial schools of Syracuse, N. Y., and at the Owego Academy, Owego, N. Y. He began life as a clerk, and in 1886 engaged in the hardware business in Towanda, where by close attention to the wants of the people he has built up a lucrative trade. In 1868 he married Mary, daughter of Charles and Harriet (Dickerson) Ames, of West Warren, this county. Mr. Coburn has been a resident of Towanda since 1869, and is one of its representative citizens and business men; politically he is a Republican.

EDGAR H. CODDING, editor of the LeRaysville Advertiser was born April 4, 1856, in Pike township, this county, a son of Dr. David S. and Asenath Celinda (Ladd) Codding, the former a native of Dutchess county, N. Y., and the latter of Albany township, this county. Mr. Codding, who is the eighth in a family of ten children, was educated at the LeRaysville graded school, and began life for

Joyce Tip Box -- December 2007 -
If you are not navigating this Tri-Counties Site via the left and right sidebars of the Current What's New page you are doing yourself a disservice. You can get to any place on the site easily by making yourself familiar with these subject and place topics. Try them all to be as familiar with the site's 16,000 plus pages as you can. Stop groping in the dark and take the lighted path. That's also the only way you'll find the search engines for the site or have access to the necessary messages I may leave for you. Make it easy on yourself.