History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
MRS. DOLLY HILL, Windham township, P. O. North Orwell. "This venerable Mother in Israel" has come to us from a former generation, a typical heroine of the "kingdom of the dead yesterdays," and the story of her strange, eventful life may well be reckoned in this age as a part of sacred history. Her father was Thomas Fox, who died in 1827, and her mother survived until 1854. John Hill was the father of Chester Hill; he came from Massachusetts to Owego, and settled on the place called the "Deep Well District;" he was a mechanic and put up the first frame house in Owego; he had preceded his family to the wild western wilderness, and when he sent for them to join him, the brave mother hired a man to transport herself and eight children to Otsego lake, where she purchased canoes, lashed them together, loaded them mostly with children, and bravely floated down to Owego. The family remained at this place until 1812, when they came to Orwell. Altogether there were eleven children in this family. The descendants of John Hill number 160, and at a recent family reunion were the twin sons, Chauncey and Chester, aged eighty-six, who were a part of the "luggage" in that canoe voyage mentioned above, which was made in 1794. Of these twins, Chester Hill married Dolly Fox, who was born in Glastonbury, September 11, 1796, the daughter of Thomas and Chloe Fox, and came to Bradford county, in 1798 with here father’s family, and went to the public schools in Orwell; in her father’s family were six children, of whom she was the fifth. She was married in 1814 to Chester Hill, then just returned from the War of 1812. They settled in Orwell (where the husband died February 23, 1879, aged eighty-seven, and to them were born children as follows: Eliza, wife of James Higgins, with whom the mother resided at time of her decease; Cornelia, wife of David Nichols; George S., who married Mary Ann Pressure, and has four children (he was a soldier in the Civil War, and died in the service); Chloe, wife of J. O. Frost, of Towanda; Lavina, wife of Edwin Allis; Chauncey, of Orwell, who married Sarah Tyrell, and after her death married Sarah Buttles; Almira, wife of Ebenezer Snell, of Pike township; Susan A., wife of Harlow Buttles, of Orwell; Orrin, who married Adele McQuary; and Emeline, wife of Nehemiah Neal, of Nichols, N. Y. Mr. and Mrs. James Higgins had born to them nine children as follows: Albert C., born August 1, 1837; Franklin, born February 21, 1839; Mervin, born July 11, 1841 (he enlisted in the fiftieth Regiment, Company G, was wounded and taken prisoner, and died in Salisbury prison after being in prison five months; he had served three years, and had been in twenty-nine hard-fought battles); Adeline E., born April 18, 1844; Emeline S., born November 4, 1846, wife of Eli Morris; Charles O., born September 6, 1849, died April 2, 1855; Rhoda G., born June 11, 1854, wife of Aaron VanEtten; Olla A., born June 4, 1856, wife of George Towner; Hortense, born July 10, 1859, wife of James Simons. Mrs. Chester Hill died May 19, 1891, aged ninety-five years, eight months, and at the time of her death there were eighty-eight great-grandchildren, and five great-great-grandchildren.
 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY
CHAUNCEY HILL, retired farmer, of Orwell township, P. O. South Hill was born in Orwell township, on the farm now owned by Daniel Boardman, December 28, 1829, and is a son of Chester and Dolly (Fox) Hill. He was reared on a farm and received his education in the common schools, and resided with his uncle George Fox, who was an extensive stock dealer, and assisted driving his cattle to market. After reaching his majority he engaged in farming, and purchased a farm of sixty acres, which he conducted fourteen years; then sold it to G. M. Prince, and purchased the "Old Gibbs" farm of seventy-four acres. In 1886 he sold 135 acres to John Phillips, and owns the remainder, and also some valuable property on Orwell hill. He has been twice married, the first time, June 18, 1849, to Sarah, daughter of Reuben Tyrell, a pioneer of Windham township, and by this marriage had four children: M. A., married to Eliza Biggsby; Dora, married to Walter Waterman, now a widow; Nora, married to Ira Morris, and one who died in infancy. His first wife died May 16, 1886, and December 17, 1887, he married Sarah, widow of Samuel F. Buttles, a daughter of Jonas and Sarah (Shuman) Lear; she was born in Bucks county, Pa., March 28, 1845. Of her father’s family of six children she was the youngest; she was first married June 24, 1866, and had four children, viz.: Cora, born April 20, 1867; Lizzie, born May 2, 1870; Emily, born November 23, 1877; and Ada, born October 16, 1879. The house they now occupy was built by her husband, Samuel Buttles, before the war. Her father was born in 1806, and still lives in Herricksville. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Hill is a Republican, and has held the various township offices. Mr. and Mrs. Hill have a large circle of friends, and enjoy life; they are prepared to pass the autumn of existence unvexed by storms or ill-winds, and are noted for their social qualities and great hospitality.
EDGAR J. HILL, a popular jeweler of Troy, was born in Sullivan, Tioga Co., Pa., on August 17, 1852, and is a son of Garwood Hill, and Alpha (Palmer) Hill; his paternal grandparents, William and Polly (Hopkins) Hill, and maternal grandparents, Stephen and Lydia (Case) Palmer, of New England, were pioneers of Tioga county, Pa. Our subject was reared in his native county, and educated in the common schools, he learned the jeweler’s trade with his brother, and in 1876 located in Troy, where for four years he was employed in a cooper shop. In 1880 he embarked in the jewelry business, in which he has since continued, and has built up a successful business. He married, October 5, 1875, Myra S., daughter of Hezekiah C. and Julia (Sherman) Dickinson, of Troy, by whom he has two children: Vivian E. and Charles S. Mr. Hill is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; is a Sir Knight Templar, and in politics is a Republican.
JOHN L. HILL, farmer, Standing Stone township, P. O. Wysox, was born in Sussex county, New Jersey, April 7, 1844, and his father, Michael Hill, was born in the same place., also his grandfather, Uriah Hill, who married Sally Blackford and had three children: Andrew; Judy, wife of Elias Culver; and Michael. The last named was educated in Standing Stone township, where he lived until his fourteenth year, when he went back to New Jersey and was apprenticed to a tanner.
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 
After learning his trade, he followed it and farming until his death in March 1887. He married Susan Martin, daughter of Jacob and Phebe (Hall) Martin, and had ten children: Mary A., wife of John R. Fox; Jacob N.; Caroline, wife of John McCracken; George B.; Robert; John L.; Hester, wife of Henry Mitten; Obadiah; Richard M., and Matilda C., wife of John Layton. Mrs. Michael Hill died February 28, 1889. John L. Hill was educated in New Jersey until his twentieth year, and began farming, when he came to Standing Stone in 1865, and purchased in 1880, from David Dixon, fifty acres, his present farm. He was school director three terms, and politically is a Democrat. He married in August, 1866, Sarah, daughter of Isaac and Rebecca (Schoonover) Lundy; she was the seventh of ten children. To this union were born seven children: Alice R. (deceased); Manning L. (deceased); Frankie; Ella, wife of Howard Brown; Tillie; Flora and Jessie. Mr. and Mrs. Hill and family belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church, but attend all churches.
JONATHAN A. HILL, of Monroe township, P. O. Powell, was born in Milo, Me., January 15, 1831, and is the eldest of the six children of Hezekiah and Emily M. Hill, natives of New Hampshire, and of English origin; his great-grandfather was an English officer in the Revolutionary War. The Hills, on the maternal side, continued in the regular army until the Civil War. Jonathan A. Hill was educated in the common school and in the Corinna Academy at Corinna, Me., and began life for himself at twenty, learning the tanner’s trade, which he has since followed, except four years spent in the army. He enlisted at Augusta, Me., November 2, 1861, as captain of Company K, Eleventh Regiment Maine Infantry, and in Gen. Keyes’ corps in the Peninsular campaign in 1862, then went to Morris Island, Charleston Harbor, with Gen. Terry, and in 1864 came back and was assigned to the Army of the James under Gen. Benjamin F. Butler; was promoted to major, June 17, 1864, and June 25, 1864, to lieutenant-colonel; he lost his right arm at Deep Run, August 16, 1864, and rejoined his regiment the following November, and was promoted to colonel. He was with Gen. Dandy’s brigade, Gen. Foster’s division and Gibbon’s corps in the last campaign from Petersburg to Appomattox Court House; was taken prisoner on the morning of April 9, 1865, and was a prisoner until the surrender of Lee; he was brevetted brigadier-general, April 9, 1865, and detailed as president of military commission at Richmond until October, and was then sent in command of the Northwestern Department of Virginia, with headquarters at Lynchburg, and in January, 1866, to the northeastern part of Virginia, and then took his regiment to Augusta, Me., where they disbanded February 9, 1866. He was postmaster at Auburn, N. Y., in 1867, and then returned to the tanning business in northern New York in 1868, and went into partnership with Thomas E. Proctor, of Boston, Mass., in 1881, at Greenwood, Powell P. O., where he has erected a beautiful residence, and removed his family to that place in 1890. Gen. Hill married, January 16, 1856, Miss Lucy M., daughter of Rev. Robert R. and Margaret (Ulmer)
 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY
Richards, of Rockland, Me., who were of Scotch and German origin. They have five children, viz.: Hattie M., born in 1856, married to W. W. Clark, lawyer, of Wayland, N. Y.; Katie E., born in 1859, married to M. Claud Gregg, merchant tailor, Rochester, N. Y., Lulu M., born in March, 1862, married to Dr. James Wallace Douglass, Boonville, N. Y.; George R., born in 1867, married, September 2, 1891, to Miss Mabel L. Snow of Boonville, N. Y. and is in the employ of his father at Forestport, N. Y.; and Jonathan A., Jr., who is at present taking a course at Hamilton College. Our subject is a member of the Military Order of Loyal Legion of the United States, New York Commandery; a Royal Arch Mason at Bangor, Me., and is a Republican in his political views.
LORENZO D. HILL, builder and contractor, Burlington, was born in Burlington, this county, November 5, 1840, a son of George C. and Fanny (Brown) Hill, former of whom was a native of Connecticut, a farmer, bridge-builder and a wagon-maker, and latter a native of Wyalusing, this county. Their family consisted of twelve children, nine of whom grew to maturity, the subject of this memoir being the fifth in the family. The father died in June, 1888, at the age of fifty-eight year. Lorenzo D. Hill was reared on a farm, and to the trade of his father. In 1868 he embarked in business as an architect and builder, and he has carried on an extensive business in several towns of the county. He also owns a fine farm near Burlington village. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Forty-first P. V. I., and at once joined the Army of the Potomac; was wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862, by the explosion of a shell, from which he was so much disabled as to cause his discharge, and he is now a pensioner. He was married November 5, 1863, to Emma A. Kingsley, who was born July 29, 1841, daughter of Harmon S. and Susan A. (Bush) Kingsley, former of whom born in East Smithfield, this county, April 12, 1816, died in March, 1889, aged seventy-three years, and latter, born in Rhode Island, March 19, 1818, died at the age of sixty-three years. To Mr. and Mrs. Hill have been born two sons: Seaver D., married to Lizzie Watters, and Dean W. Mr. Hill is a Republican, has held several positions of public trust, and is a member of the G. A. R. The family are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and take an active interest in the Sunday school.
RANDOLPH P. HILL, merchant and postmaster, Burlington, was born in the village of Burlington, this county, January 23, 1850, as son of Sherman H. and Julia A. (Porter) Hill, the former a native of Vermont, born of French extraction on the maternal side of Irish origin; he is still living at the age of seventy-seven years; is a farmer and mill-wright, also the owner of a fine farm of 200 acres; has been a Republican and has served in the council of the borough since its formation, and was burgess of the village; is a stanch supporter of the Union Church and is one of its officers. Grandfather Hill located in Susquehanna county in the early part of this century, settling in the wilderness and clearing a large farm. Randolph P. was reared on the farm, educated in the schools of the village and at the Troy graded school. He
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 
engaged in farming, at which he continued nine years, when, in March, 1883, he embarked in mercantile trade at Burlington, where he has since enjoyed a large patronage, being the leading man in the trade of the township. He was appointed postmaster at the commencement of the present administration. On October 29, 1873, Mr. Hill was married to Celia Pratt, of West Burlington, this county, born November 14, 1850, a daughter of Perry B. and Betsy A. (Phelps) Pratt, of English origin and natives of this county. To Mr. and Mrs. Hill have been born four children: Sherman H., Anna Laura, Harry Howard and Lulu Betsy. He is a Republican, and takes an active interest in the affairs of the town and county; is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is one of the progressive men of the township.
ALBERT SAMUEL HILLIS, farmer in Herrick township, P. O. Rummerfield Creek, was born in Herrick township, this county, January 2, 1852. His father, William Hillis, was born in Ireland in 1823, and came to this county in 1839; he worked for Francis Stethers, his brother-in-law, one year, then went to Laceyville and worked two years. On July 3, 1841, he married Caroline, daughter of Peter and Levina Hallock, natives of New York (she was the seventh in a family of ten children); he came to Herrick township, locating on his present farm, and partly erected a log house; then in company with John Nesbit and Richard Hillis he went to Laceyville for wife and household effects. When they returned it was early in the evening in November, and there were two feet of snow on the ground; they could have no fire, as the fireplace had not been completed; neither was there a floor, door or window in the house. The larger portion of their goods was left out in the snow all night, but they managed to put up a bed, and retired. The next day he finished the fireplace and built a rousing fire; the window he made of glass which he had brought from Laceyville; the door was made of rough slabs, fastened together with wooden pins and hung on wooden hinges. His wife aided him in laying the floor, which was made of rough slabs similar to the door, and then he divided his house into a dining-room, bed-room and pantry; after this everything went along pleasantly. His first property was the DuPont tract, seventy-six acres of which was paid for the following winter. He sold to A. Newell 200,000 feet of lumber which he was to cut and skid, and receive $2.00 per thousand. He worked from the early part of December to about the first of March, and completed his task; but to do so he was compelled to rise at 4 A.M., and frequently would not finish his day’s work until 9 P.M. In 1847 he and his brother Samuel purchased fifty-two acres on which his present home no stands, and they have lived together ever since. He afterward added more, and built his present house in 1853. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and politically is a Democrat. His wife died October 27, 1890; they had six children, as follows: Mahaley (wife of J. A. Rolls), Harriet (wife of R. S. Hankinson), Wilbert, Albert S., Mary (deceased), and one child that died in infancy. Albert S. Hillis was educated in his native place until his nineteenth year, then worked at home on the farm until the fall of 1880, when his father built him a house, and he and his brother Wilbert have
 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY
since managed their father’s farm. He married, January 28, 1880, Ella Jane, daughter of David and Margaret Jane (Lee) Nesbit, the second in a family of seven children, five of whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Hillis have had two children, namely: Ernest Arthur, born February 11, 1887, and Hallock Lee, born December 10, 1888. Mr. Hillis is a Democrat, and is much esteemed as one of the industrious and reliable men of the county.
JOHN BARTLETT HINDS, farmer, Wysox township, was born February 16, 1816, a son of Abinoham and Rachel (Vail) Hinds, the former of whom was a sailor, and married for his first wife, Susanna Snow, and they had ten children; he settled in Susquehanna county about 1790, and married his second wife, Rachel Vail, who bore him eight children, of whom the first died in infancy and John B. was the second. The subject of this memoir was placed upon his own resources at the age of thirteen, and when fourteen began an apprenticeship at the carpenter’s and joiner’s trade, which he has since followed, to some extent as a contractor and general builder. He purchased his present home, in 1861, of M. Reed; in 1860 he was appointed door-keeper of the Senate at Harrisburg, which position he held six years. During the war he made frequent visits to the battle-field, and rendered much private assistance to his Bradford county friends, whom he found in distress; he volunteered for active service, but was rejected. In 1864, he was appointed, by Gov. Curtin, commissioner of the army, to receive the votes of the soldiers; in 1871 was elected commissioner of Bradford county; has also held the office of town commissioner, triennial assessor and school director; has frequently acted as attorney before justices, having had as many as twenty-five cases in a single year. Mr. Hinds was married, March 2, 1834, Sarah E., daughter of Jonathan and Betsey (Dart) Wood, early settlers in Susquehanna county, and they have had children, as follows: Mariette, born December 28, 1834, married to J. S. Frink, of Rome; Agnes L., born May 22, 1838, died January 19, 1854 (her father was wont to speak of her as a bright, sweet girl); Adelaide, born March 6, 1840, died May 6, 1840; Eliza J., born June 9, 1842, died September 23, 1849; Adolphus H., born September 7, 1844; Eliza A., born March 6, 1847, married A. F. Eddy, a blacksmith, of Rome township; Charles H., born May 30, 1849, died September 23, 1851; Charlotte E., born July 7, 1851, died June 1, 1854; Charles D., born May 2, 1853, died September 3, 1854; Ella May, born July 13, 1855, married to J. R. Furman, of Towanda; John Fremont, born July 15, 1859, married and living at home. Mrs. Hinds died April 14, 1883, and Mr. Hinds was then married to Mary E., daughter of E. Furman and Amanda (Forbes) Barnes. Mr. Hinds is an enthusiastic adherent of the Republican party.
A. H. HINDS, farmer, Wysox, P. O. Wysox, was born in Bridgewater, Susquehanna Co., Pa., September 7, 1844, and is a son of John B. and Sarah (Wood) Hinds. He purchased his present home of 130 acres in 1868, where he has since been engaged in farming; also operating a threshing machine twelve seasons. Mr. Hinds was married, March 28, 1866, Miss Hattie, daughter of Eaden and Matilda (Walker) Titus, of Herrick, and they have three children; Jennie L.,
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 
born September 30, 1867; S. Mantie, born July 4, 1870, and J. Edward, born September 1, 1875. Mr. Hinds in his political relations affiliates with the Republican party.
ORLIN W. HOAGLIN, of Rome township, farmer and stock grower, P. O. Myersburg, was born on the farm he now occupies, March 11, 1867, a son of William and Harriet (March) Hoaglin, natives of New York, who came to Bradford county in 1852, and located where Orlin W. now lives. His father, who was accidently shot, was a farmer, and had three children, viz.: John M., a carpenter; Mary T., married to Pearly Simmons, and Orlin W. The latter was reared on his father’s farm, and attended the common schools of Wysox until nineteen, when he began the occupation of farming, taking entire charge of the old homestead farm, which consists of 100 acres, finely improved, which he manages with great skill and good judgment; he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is a stanch Republican, and, while yet a young farmer, he is well and favorably known as a leading and influential man in the county.
BURDICK H. HOBART, of Hobart & Rockwell, harness-makers, Troy, was born in Amherst, Niagara Co., N. Y., December 1, 1833, a son of Harry W. and Augusta (Phelps) Hobart, and is of English and Welsh descent. He was reared in his native State, and served an apprenticeship of three years at the harness trade in Truxton, Cortland Co., N. Y., after which he purchased the business of his employer and continued it for eight years. In March, 1866, he located in Troy as a member of the harness firm of Hobart & Porter, which partnership existed twenty-three years, where he built up an extensive and successful trade. Since 1888 the business has continued as Hobart & Rockwell. Mr. Hobart was married, January 1, 1862, to Susan, daughter of Leonard Bradford, of Rhode Island, and has one daughter, Alice L. (Mrs. Charles Cosper). Mr. Hobart is a well-known and respected citizen of Troy; is a F. & A. M., and has served as a member of the council of the borough several terms; in politics he is a Republican.
CHARLES M. HOFFMAN, mechanic, Wyalusing, was born in New York, October 21, 1850, and is a son of George and Elizabeth (Sherwood) Hoffman. His father was a lumberman and mill owner, but upon his wife’s death, which occurred a few years after the birth of Charles M., he went to Kentucky, where he married the second time. Charles made his way home with his uncle, Edward Skeel, of Pike township, where he resided on a farm about fifteen years, attending the common schools. When nineteen years old he became an apprentice in the harness shop of E. S. Fuller, of Camptown, where he remained five years; he was then, for abut eighteen months, a clerk in the store of C. S. Lafferty, of Camptown, then for several years worked at his trade in Stevensville and Elmira, after which he returned to Pike township and farmed a short time; then he worked for Mr. Fuller for a while, then came to Wyalusing, clerking first for John Howard, and afterward in the Wyalusing Creamery, where he yet remains, having been there over four years. He was married, January 14, 1877, to
 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY
Subinah Bender, daughter of Jacob Bender, of Stevensville; they have one child: Allie E. Mr. Hoffman is a Republican in politics.
GEORGE M. HOFFMAN, farmer, of Terry township, P. O. Evergreen, was born in Terry township, this county, January 4, 1854, a son of Phillip and Margaret (Hinderer) Hoffman. His father was born in Monroe county, Pa., September 23, 1817; his mother was a native of Germany, born in 1829; they were married February 13, 1847. Phillip Hoffman removed to this county about 1836, locating in Terry township on the farm now owned by his son George M. At that time there was an old log house on it, with a clearing of three-quarters of an acre. He confined himself to agriculture pursuits, when by hard labor and economy, he cleared a farm and made a pleasant home for himself and family, and lived on this same farm until his death in 1888, at the age of seventy-one years. He had seven children, five of whom grew to maturity, and four are now living. George M., the subject of this sketch, is the third member of the family, and was reared and educated in the common schools, being a young man of energy and enterprise. At the age of twenty-two he married Miss Rosey, daughter of Shubel and Luretta Bowman, and by this marriage there were born to them four children, all living at present: Leon, aged thirteen; Susan, aged eleven; Nancy, aged nine; Clarence, aged six. Mr. Bowman, father of Mrs. Hoffman, was a native of Terry township, and now resides in the house where he was born; he was at one time a hotel-keeper, and has been of great service to his township; has held the offices of constable and collector. Mr. Hoffman is a general and prosperous farmer, paying particular attention to grain-raising and hay-making; he is of more of a speculative turn of mind than his father or brothers; is a self-made man, having bought out the four living heirs by paying five hundred and forty dollars ($540) to each of them as their portion; he has been honored by his townsmen in electing him to offices of trust and responsibility, and is a genial man of sterling qualities.
GEORGE O. HOLCOMB, capitalist, Troy, was born in the town of Lewis, Essex Co., N. Y., April 25, 1851, and is a son of Obed G. and Sphoronia (Phelps) Holcomb, and is of English descent. His earliest known ancestors was one of three brothers who came to American in the ship "Mary and John," in Puritan times, and was left an orphan when five years of age. At the age of sixteen George began life for himself as a farm hand, and worked for $16 per month. From his eight months’ wages of $128 he put $125 at interest at 7 per cent, and the year following worked at the same wages, and during the winter worked for his board and attended the district schools. In 1867 he attended the union school, at Elizabethtown, N. Y., and in the fall of 1868 began teaching, and followed that occupation four years. In the fall of 1869 he passed an academical examination; also studied law three years with Hon. A. C. Hand & Son, of Elizabethtown, and in 1874 went to Philadelphia to fill a position as corresponding clerk for several Insurance companies, but soon after was engaged as a clerk in the importing department of a Fancy Notion store, and held that position one year. In April, 1876, he was employed by the United
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 
States Centennial Commission, under Henry Pellitt, chief of the Bureau of Installation, as general clerk, and remained with that commission until April, 1877, when he was appointed chief clerk of the department, which had charge of all applications for tickets by exhibitors in the main building, and also had charge of all goods received, both American and foreign, throughout the exhibition. After the close of his labors there, he accepted a position in the law and collecting agency of McKillop & Co., of New York, with whom he remained two months, then located in Troy, Pa., where he was station agent for the Northern Central Railroad until 1883, and, for nearly five years, Express Agent for the Central (now Adams) Express Company. December 19, 1878, he married Annie E., daughter of Eleazer and Rhoda (Leonard) Pomeroy, of Troy, by whom he has two children: Harry P. and Dwight H. Since 1883 Mr. Holcomb has assisted his father-in-law in his business affairs, and, since 1878, has been engaged in the brokerage business. He is the owner of and has conducted a stock farm in Troy since 1887, and is a breeder of Hereford cattle, registered in the American Herd Book, and is also a breeder of French coach horses, and trotting stock for the C. J. Hammond farm, near Buffalo. Hr. Holcomb is a member of the Congregational Church; though solicited to run for several State and county offices, he has always refused the honor; he has served as burgess of Troy on term, and is a member of the present council; politically he is a Republican.
HARVEY HOLCOMB, farmer, of Franklin township, P. O. Franklindale, was born in LeRoy, this county, May 29, 1816, is the son of Hugh and Prudence (Bailey) Holcomb, the former a native of Connecticut, the latter of Massachusetts. Hugh and his brother, Sterling, when they came from the East, located in Ulster, from which place they removed about 1796, locating in LeRoy, each purchasing 400 acres on both sides of the Towanda creek. Hugh Holcomb had nine children—seven sons and two daughters—all of whom grew to maturity. Harvey, who is the sixth in the family, was reared and educated at LeRoy, and always worked on a farm. On January 23, 1840, he married Miss Diana, daughter of Samuel and Betsey Rockwell, and to them were born nine children, eight of whom are now living; the other son was killed in the army at the battle of Spottsylvania after a service of nearly three years. Mr. Holcomb moved from LeRoy to Franklin, his present home, in 1884; his wife died June 10, 1880, and he married (for his second) at Smithfield, August 26, 1882, Mrs. Perlina Pierce, widow of William Henry Pierce, and daughter of Mrs. Selina (Holcomb) Dibble, who came from Broome county, N. Y. In 1844 she removed to this county, where she now resides at the advanced age of ninety-five years, and is able to work about the house; she began and completed a quilt of 3,000 pieces after she was ninety-three years of age. Mr. Holcomb as a farmer confines himself to raising grain and hay; he has been honored with the offices of assessor, school director (twelve years) and road commissioner; is a member of the Church of Christ, and is a Republican, politically.
JASPER N. HOLCOMB, farmer, P. O. LeRoy, was born in LeRoy township, Bradford Co., Pa., March 27, 1846, a son of Harvey
 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY
and Diana (Rockwell) Holcomb, natives of LeRoy, former of whom was a son of Hugh Holcomb, one of the early settlers, and who built the first saw and grist mill in LeRoy, also the first still in the town. Harvey Holcomb’s family consisted of eleven children, nine of whom grew to maturity, eight yet living. The eldest son was killed in the army, on May 12, 1864, in the battle of the Wilderness. Jasper N., who is the third in the family, was reared and educated at LeRoy, which has always been his home. At the age of eighteen he enlisted in Company L, Third Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, serving until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged, and he now draws a pension. On October 21, 1879, he married, at Monroeton, this county, Rosilie, daughter of Robert and Hannah (Holcomb) McKee. The McKees are descended from Leonard McKee, who settled in Franklin in 1822. To this union of Mr. and Mrs. Holcomb have been born five children, viz.: James E., Ray M., Carrie E. and Minnie F. and May F. (twins). Alpheus Holcomb, the maternal grandfather of Mrs. Jasper M. Holcomb, was born January 10, 1779, died January 19, 1849, and his wife, Hannah (Kingsbury) was born April 17, 1783, died October 18, 1846; they were married, October 22, 1801, in Connecticut, whence they removed to Ulster, and from there to LeRoy. Mr. Holcomb is a general farmer, producing stock, grain, wool and butter. He has been honored by being elected to the offices of town clerk, commissioner, school director and census enumerator; is a member of the Church of Christ, and n politics is a Republican.
HALLECK L. HOLCOMB, of the Bradford Republican, Towanda, was born in Bradford county, at LeRoy, April 25, 1862, a son of Harvey and Diana (Rockwell) Holcomb, of English descent, and among the early settlers of this county. His father was born in LeRoy township, May 29, 1816, where he married and reared an interesting family of nine children; his wife and helpmeet died June 10, 1880. Two of the sons were in the Civil War: J. E. Holcomb was killed at the battle of Spottsylvania, the other Jasper N., is a farmer in LeRoy. H. L. Holcomb is the youngest of the family, and gave attendance in his youth at the public schools, and graduated at the Elmira School of Commerce in 1886. He learned the printer’s art, entering the office of the Republican at the age of nineteen, and is to-day, in the absence of his uncle, general manager and local editor of the Republican. He was married June 12, 1889, to Charlotte, daughter of E. C. and Harriet (Dodge) Dewers of English descent. The family worship at the Presbyterian Church; he is a past grand in the I. O. O. F.
JUDSON HOLCOMB, one of the proprietors and the editor of the Bradford Republican, Towanda. This gentleman is at present filling the office of index clerk in the Lower House of Congress, Washington, a position to which he was appointed in 1863, and served through five Congresses, and in 1874 returned to Towanda and established his paper, placing it on a prosperous basis; he was again in the XLVIIth Congress, appointed to his old position, and is now in that place, having just served through the LIst Congress. He is a native of Bradford county, born in LeRoy, July 25, 1819, a son of Hugh and Prudence (Bailey) Holcomb. Thomas Holcomb, who came from