Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
History of Bradford County by Craft
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
Craft History - Table of Contents
Bradford County Townships
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce 
Photo of Dragonfy by Joyce M. Tice June 26, 1999
History of Bradford County 1770 - 1878

The Reverend Mr. David Craft

Orwell Township

Retyped by Bruce Preston



The geographical position of Orwell places it between the townships of Windham and Warren on the north, Warren and Pike on the cast, Herrick on the south, and Rome on the west.  The Wysox creek passes through the western portion of the town, entering into Rome near the centre of the boundary between the two towns.  Jobnson's and Jerome's creeks water the south and southeastern parts of the town, and some small creeks rise in the northeastern portion.

The town was originally covered with a heavy growth of beech, maple: and hemlock, with some pine.
In April, 1801, the court of Luzerne county appointed Ezekiel Hyde, Josiah Grant, and William Spalding comissioners to erect a township embracing the territory of the present Orwell, who, at the November session, reported the followin bounds: "from the fifty-second mile-stone on the north line of the county and State running south twelve miles, fifty-one chains, and fifty links, to the south line of Tioga district; thence east eleven miles, thence north twelve miles, thence west eleven miles to the place of beginning." The report was approved by the court, and the township named Mt.  Zion.  In April, 1802, on petition of Ebenezer Coburn and others, the name was changed to Orwell, from a town of that name in Vermont, from which many of the settlers came.
 In 1850, Orwell had 1241 inhabitants; in 1860, 1420 and in 1870, 1296, of' whom 28 were foreign born.


 The first settlement in the present town of Orwell was made in 1796, near Ransom's Corners, by Dan Russell Francis Mesusan came to the same place a short time afterwards.  The township was surveyed that year in the month of May.  Capt. Josiah Grant came to the township, accompanied by Mr. Mesusan, about the same time, and made a beginning, but went back to Vermont, and did not return to Orwell for a permanent settlement until 1798.
 Dan Russell lived just below the forks of the road from Rome to Orwell hill, on the place now occupied by his grandson, Stephen Russell.  Edward Gridley now occupies the Mesusan place.

 Mr. Russell was born in Tolland Co., Conn., Sept. 26, 1770 was married Nov. 21, 1791, to Polly Chubbuck.  He left Connecticut in the spring of 1794, and came to Shepard's creek, near Waverly, N. Y., and in his search for a location came to Orwell, on the Wysox creek, where be made a clearing and a farm, and reared a family of eleven children,-five sons and six daughters.  He made the clearing in 1794 and 1795, but lived at Sheshequin a year, until the summer of 1796, where his second daughter was born.

 His plan was to go by marked trees through the forests, with a sack of provisions on his back sufficient for five days or a week. In this way he worked the first season, and the next year he drove in a pair of cattle and a sled with his family. Two brothers of his wife, Ebenezer and Nathaniel Chubbuck, came and settled near him afterwards; the latter had ten sons and two daughters.  Here Mr. Russell toiled and struggled against the obstacles necessarily contingent upon the settlement of a wild country, and so well did he apply himself to the almost herculean task, that his farm was the best on the stage-route from Towanda to Montrose.  His children, with one exception, who died single, were all married and settled within five miles of his homestead. They in turn cleared away the forests and reared families, until the number of his posterity had in his life-time become more than one hundred souls.  His children were as follows: Polly, born in Tolland, Conn., Jan. 29, 1794; Eunice, born in Sheshequin, June 23, 1796 ; Lydia, born in Orwell, Feb. 4, 1798; Roswell, born July 17, 1800 - Candace, born March 21, 1802 - Harriet, born Feb. 6, 1804 ; John, Nov. 2, 1806 ; Burton, Sept. 8, 1808 Dan, Nov. 2, 1810 ; Nathaniel, May 19, 1812 ; Tompson S., born of second wife, Sept. 2, 1821.

 AsaheI Johnson and Zenas Cook came first to Sheshequin in the winter of 1795-96, and made that settlement their headquarters while they explored the country for a location.  They made their selection in Orwell, Mr. Johnson purchasing on Towner hill.  Their report was so flattering, several of their neighbors determined to come also, a company was formed, and Marks and Cook were sent to view the land more thoroughly.  Their report being favorable, the company purchased the township, which was to be divided among its members.  Mr. Johnson remained a year at Sheshequin, and came into Orwell permanently in 1797.  The town was six miles square, and was called Mendon ; Mr. Johnson owned 3000 acres. He lived where Albert Conklin now lives, and his brother Truman, who came in 1796, lived on the farm now owned by Albert Allen and Lewis Darling.  His brother William lived where Zebulon Frisbie lives.  The family came from Burlington, Litchfield Co., Conn.


 Artemas Johnson, born April 5, 1740, died Aug. 14, 1784.  Mary, his wife, born June 25, 1747, removed to Orwell in 1819, where she died Oct. 23, l820.  Their children were Edmund, born April 23, l865, died April 10, 1767 Asahel, born Feb. 28, 1768, died in Orwell, Nov. 25, 1857 - William, born April 14, 1772, died in Pike, Sept. 6, 1853; Truman, born Oct. 9, 1775, died March 14, 1831; Mary, born Sept. 13, 1780, married John Cowls, and lived in Orwell, died 1810.

 Edmund, born March 24, 1782, came to Orwell, bought a farm, returned, married in Connecticut, but died, before reaching Orwell for settlement, in 1810.

 Elizabeth, born Oct. 1, 1784, died 1827 - never came to Orwell.

 Asahel Johnson married Beulah Hitchcock, born Feb. 19, 1770, died Sept. 13, 1851.  Their children were Lydia; Altemas; Simeon, now living in Illinois; Amanda, Charlotte, married Chauncey, son of Capt. Josiah Grant, and died May 9. 1840; Joel, born at Orwell, May 17, 1799, and still living in the town; Wealthy; Julia; Clarissa; Lydia, married Harry Wilson, and lives in Warren; Nelson; and Mary.  Truman Johnson married a sister of Joel Cook, and went west for eight or ten years, and returned and settled in Pike.

 Capt. Josiah Grant, who settled in the town in 1798, came from Vermont.  He was a captain in the Continental army during the Revolutionary war, serving under Col.  Ethan Allen, whose cousin he was, in his brigade of "Green Mountain boys." His family consisted of the following children: Cyprian, Rhoda, Ruth, and one who died young, by his first marriage, and Josiah and Chauncey, by his second wife.  Cyprian settled first near his father, but afterwards moved to Wysox, where he died from injuries received from the kick of a horse.  Rhoda married Chester Gridley; Ruth married a Mr. Sprague, and removed from the town; Josiah married a daughter of Capt. Ralph Martin, of Wysox, and lived on the farm on which Josiah Newell now lives and Chauncey went west in 1838, where be still resides.  Capt. Grant lived about 100 rods west of the present site of the Presbyterian Church in Orwell.
 Samuel Wells, who married a sister of Asahel Johnson, came from Burlington, Vermont, and settled on the farm just south of Johnson, in 1799.  His oldest son, Theron, now owns the property.

 Capt.  Samuel Woodruff came also in 1799.  He was a Revolutionary soldier, and came from Litchfield, Conn.  He was a brother of Capt. Grant's wife.  He had four children, Nathaniel, Benjamin, Clarissa, and another daughter, who married Adarine Manville, one of the early settlers of Orwell.  Nathaniel never came to Orwell to reside; Benjamin went west; and Clarissa married Dr. Seth Barstow, who settled on the Pool place in Wysox.  Capt.  Woodruff settled on the farm now occupied by Josiah Newell.  He sold to Josiah Grant, Jr., whose daughter married James, the father of Josiah Newell.  Capt. Woodruff then went to reside with his daughter, Mrs. Barstow, and died there.

 Levi Frisbie came to Orwell from Bristol, Connecticut, in February, 1800.  His wife was the daughter of Aaron Gaylord, who was slain in the battle of Wyoming.  After the battle the widowed mother with her three children went back to Connecticut, where Levi was married to her eldest daughter.  Levi Frisbie, Richard Marks, Asahel Johnson, William Johnson, Truman Johnson, Zerias Cook, Asa Upson, and perhaps one or two others, formed the company, which, at the solicitation of Col. Ezekiel Hyde and Blisha Tracy, agents for the first Delaware company, purchased of these agents a township of land six miles square, as before stated, extending north and east from the present Orwell.  Zenas Cook was the surveyor.  Although they discovered the Connecticut title was worthless, yet so pleased were the company with the country, that they determined to settle herein.
 Mr. Frisbie came on the place where the Hon. Zebulon Frisbie now resides.  There had been a small clearing of some two or three acres made, and a log house rolled up by Deacon William Johnson, who had removed into Pike.  This log house stood a few rods from the present residence of Z. Frisbie.  Levi Frisbie was born in Bristol, Conn., Jan. 31, 1758, and died October 5, 1842.  He married Phebe Gaylord, who was born in Bristol, Conn., Nov. 19, 1769; married Dec. 20, 1786; removed to Orwell, Pa., 1800; she died Oct. 5,1851.  They had six children, Chauncey, Laura, Catharine, a son who died in infancy, Levi, and Zebulon.  Chauncey, born Nov. 16, 1787, married Chloe Howard, March 1812, and after her decease married Eliza, relict of Dudley Humphrey, M.D., and died May 4, 1864.  Several children of his died in infancy, three only arriving to maturity, viz.: Hanson Z., Phebe M., and George Chauncey. Laura was born Jan. 1, 1790 married Ira Bronson, of Burlington, Conn.; had no children, but adopted Laura, a daughter of her sister Catharine.  Catherine, born April 1, 1792, married Abel Eastabrooks, of Orwell, Pa., Oct. 1815 - died Aug. 27, l822, leaving four children, Charles, Laura, Aaron Gaylord, and Levi Frisbie.  Charles has deceased.  Laura married James D. Humphrey, and is now deceased.  Aaron G. and Levi F. Eastabrooks are wealthy farmers in Milledgeville, Ill.  Levi, born Nov. 19, 1798, married Chloe Chubbuck, March 3, 1825 ; has six children, and lives in Orwell.  Zebulon, born July 4, 1801, married Polly Goodwin in 1828, and resides in Orwell.

 In 1801, Theron Darling and his father Abel, John Pierce, and Alpheus Choat came in. Col. Darling was from Litchfield, Conn., and Mr. Pierce and Mr. Choat from Vermont.  Mr. Pierce's wife was a sister of Mrs. Josiah Grant.  They lived where formerly was the Gridley farm, and left about 1804-5, and went near Owego, N. Y. Mr. Choat married a daughter of Mr. Pierce, and subsequently moved into Wysox.

 Joel Barnes came with Levi Frisbie from Massachusetts, and settled near the present residence of Mr. Eastman.  He married a daughter of Capt. Grant and died in Orwell.

 Deacon William Ranney settled where Mr. Payson now lives, and Lebbeus Roberts on the Woodruff corners, in 1802.

 Capt. John Grant was a brother to Capt.  Josiah, and came to Orwell about 1804-5 and located on the present farm of Carlos Chubbuck, about three fourths of a mile from Orwell hill.

 Zenas Cook was the third child in his father's family.  He located a farm under the Connecticut title in the hollow in which Potterville is now situated, but abandoned it after finding his claim was worthless.  Joel Cook was a brother, and came to Orwell after 1800, and is yet a resident of the town.  His father, Joel Cook, was a soldier for three years in the Revolution, and was at the siege of Mud Island, and in the battle of Germantown.  He and his son Uri came to Orwell in 1814, and settled on the farm adjoining his son Joel's.  A daughter married Truman Johnson.

 Nathaniel Chubbuck was the first of this family who came to northern Pennsylvania.  He was born in Tolland Co., Conn., and came from there to Orwell, in the summer of 1811, and purchased the possession right of 300 acres on the Wysox creek, on a portion of which he resided until his death, and a portion of which tract is now owned and occupied by his son, L. S. Chubbuck.  The purchase was made of William Keeler, October 2, 1811. The improvement on the tract consisted of a clearing of about two acres, with a log house thereon.  It was purchased a short time previously of Mark Mesusan, who bought of William Buck.  This land was surveyed to Joseph Shippen, Jr., under warrant dated Aug. 20, 1774, who, by deed dated May 14, 1819, conveyed the same to Samuel Pleasanton and Benjamin Wynkoop.

 After making his purchase Nathaniel returned to Connecticut, and on January 28, 1812, married Hannah Loyet, and at once proceeded to his new home with her.  On reaching his house in February, he found the roof broken down by the weight of snow, which was from two to three feet deep.  With the assistance of the few neighbors the snow was removed and the roof replaced.  Here housekeeping began, a chest doing duty as a table, with shingle blocks for chairs.

 On leaving his home in Connecticut his father gave him a saddle, and requested him on the first opportunity to invite a minister of the gospel to preach in his house.  The request was complied with by inviting Rev.  Marmaduke Pearce, a Methodist minister, to his house, which for some time was a preaching-place.  This was, probably, the first Methodist preaching had in the town.  It resulted in the conversion of Mr. Chubbuck, and as early as 1823 he was licensed to exhort by Rev. John Griffin, then pastor, and he continued to exhort until the day of his death, under license annually renewed.  He was known throughout the surrounding country as an efficient and faithful worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a powerful exhorter.  His brother, Aaron Chubbuck, came to Orwell two years later, in the winter, traveling the whole distance with oxen and sled.  He located on the creek about a mile below Nathaniel, on land adjoining Dan Russell, where, he resided until about 1854, when he removed to Nichols, N. Y., where he now resides.  He was appointed a justice of the peace in 1819, and held the position while be was a resident of the county, except three years while holding the office of prothonotary, and the time be held the office of associate judge of Bradford County, which last position he was holding on his removal from the county.
 The father of these two gentlemen, Nathaniel Chubbuck, with his wife, Chloe, and a daughter of the same name (since the wife of Levi Frisbie), came from Ellington, Tolland Co., Conn., in the spring of 1818, and selected several hundred acres on the hills of Orwell, in preference to lands in Wysox, now owned by the Piollets.  The tract in Orwell he bought for ten shillings per acre.  The farms now owned by C. J. Chubbuck, Charles Pendleton, E. C. Bull, O. J. Chubbuck, and others, are situated on this tract.  The elder Chubbuck traveled the entire distance from Connecticut with a yoke of oxen and one horse, driven by James, a son, then seventeen years old, Daniel, a boy of twelve, driving the cow.  The family slept by night in the wagon.
 The family is of English descent, one branch, represented by Nathaniel, settling in Wareham, Mass., and another brother, Charles, settling farther north, whose descendants are among the citizens of Canada and northern New York.  Mrs. Emily E. Judson is a descendant of that branch of the Chubbuck family.  Ebenezer, a son of the first Nathaniel, who located in Massachusetts, was the father of the Nathaniel who came to Orwell in 1818.  Ebenezer was in the French war, and fought under the British flag.  He was also a lieutenant in the Revolutionary war.  He was for some years after the Revolution a sea-captain, and on quitting that, business bought a farm in the east part of the town of Ellington, Conn., where he lived until his death, which occurred in 1810 or 1811,at the age of seventy three years, his demise being sudden and without premonition.  His first wife was named Burgess, who bore two sons; Ebenezer and Nathaniel and four daughters, all born in Wareham.  His second wife was Tabitha Fowler, among whose ancestry were the celebrated Fowlers whose feats of strength and exploits are commemorated in the British Museum, where the identical pine-knot with which one of them killed the bear, and the skin of the immense animal, are preserved and exhibited.

 Nathaniel was born Oct. 16, 1764, and died March 13, 1825.  His wife, Chloe Eaton, was born March 14, 1768, and died Oct. 11, 1832.  They were married Nov. 27, 1788.  They had twelve children, ten sons and two daughters.  Nathaniel Chubbuck, Jr., who settled in Orwell in 1811, born Sept. 5, 1789, died Aug. 1, 1865.  He has four sons living - Nathaniel J., John, and Lyman S., are residents of Bradford County.
 Aaron Chubbuck was born Aug. 4, 1791. He married first Matilda Dimmick.  He has a son living in Michigan and a daughter in Orwell.
 Hannah, the third child, was born Feb. 16, 1793, married Joseph Hamilton, and lived many years in Windham, on the farm now owned by Hiram Taylor.  They reared a family of three children, two sons and a daughter, all now deceased.  She died August 7, 1865, her husband dying about fifteen years previously.

 John, the fourth child, was born Feb. 23, 1795, and was for many years a practicing physician in Nichols, N. Y., and now resides in the city of Binghamton.  He was surgeon of the lst Regiment of Engineers, Corps d'Afrique, in service at Brazos and Santiago, in Texas, in 1863-64.
 Jacob was born March 5, 1797, and came to Orwell with his brother Aaron, and after a time returned to Connecticut, and married, Oct. 7, 1819, Minerva Tupper, and returned with her at once to Orwell.  He located on a tract on which the house of O. J. Chubbuck, erected in 1852, now stands, occupying a small log house on the same site.  The improvement consisted of this log house, and a clearing of about an acre around it.  He resided here until the autumn of 1812, when he removed to Towanda with his son, where he died October 25, 1813.  His wife died two years later.  They reared a family of six children, three sons and as many daughters, two of each of whom yet reside in the county.  One son, the Rev. S. A. Chubbuck, is a member of the Genesee conference.  Their youngest son, Tracy J., was a member of the 141st Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served during the war.  James was born April 5, 1801, came to the county with his father, and lived with him on the homestead till the latter's death.  After that event be managed the farm until the youngest child arrived at majority, when the farm was divided into three parts, he remaining in the house his parents had occupied.  He married Pamelia Keeney for his first wife, a sister of Simon Z. and Charles Keeney, of Black Walnut, Wyoming county, Pa.  They reared three boys and a girl; the oldest son, Carlos J., now owning the homestead, and where he resides.  Charles E. is in California, Carleton K. in Nebraska, and the daughter is the wife of Francis Woodruff, of Morrison, Ill.

 The first wife of James died in 1837, and be subsequently married Hester Crandall, who died in 1860, and afterwards he married Mrs. Cynthia Bull, who is yet living.  James and Jacob were both leading members of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Chloe, the seventh child of Nathaniel Chubbuck, was born Dec. 8, 1803.  She married Levi Frisbie, who survives her, she dying Aug. 20, 1860.  Three sons and one daughter also survive her, one of whom only, Aaron G., resides in the county.

 Daniel Ostrander Chubbuck was born May 17, 1805, married Polly Oakley, of Susquehanna county, and settled on the farm adjoining his brother Jacob's, where he resided twenty years, and then sold it and removed to Ulster, where be remained several years.  He now lives in Mount Vernon, Iowa.  Three children of his grew to maturity, one son, Daniel Jotham, and two daughters; one daughter only now survives.

 Hollis S. was born March 13, 1800.  He came to this county some years after his father's family, and practiced medicine, residing on Orwell hill.  He removed to Elmira, where he is now engaged in an extensive practice.  Austin E. was born June 16, 18I0.  He remained on the farm with James till his marriage, at which time be went to farming for himself, on the farm now owned by E. C. Bull ; subsequently he engaged in trade in Elmira, met with loss by fire, and some time later entered the itinerancy of the Methodist Episcopal church, joining the Genesee conference, was a successful pastor, and now resides in Elmira.

 Francis S., the youngest of the family, was born March 10, 1812. He followed farming until 1849, when he joined the Wyoming conference of the Methiodist Episcopal Church, and did active service as an itinerant for about twenty years, when, his health failing, he took the superannuated connection and moved to Vineland, N. J. He now resides in Binghamton, N. Y. His wife Polly, daughter of Curtis Robinson, an early settler of Orwell, died recently.  They reared three children, a son and two daughters.  Their son, Emory F., was for several years a teacher at the seminaries in New York and Pittsfield, Mass.  He was an Episcopal clergyman, and went to New Orleans with General Butler as chaplain of the 31st Mass.  Vols.  He married a Polish lady there, but his health failed, and he came north, but never regained it, and died a few years since, his widow surviving but a few years.  Rev. F. S. Chubbuck, his father, was also a chaplain in the army in Texas in 1863-64, but came north on the failing, of his health.
 In 1855 the Chubbuck family had eleven children of the original twelve of Nathaniel living, their united ages being six hundred years, and there had not been a death in the family for fifty-one years next preceding that date (March 23).  The eleven then living had all been together but twice in their lives, once at the funeral of their mother, and once at a family gathering in June, 1853.  On August 1, 1865, another death occurred in the family, at which time the aggregate sum of their ages was over 714 years ; the average age of the eleven being 65 years.  The oldest was 75 years, 10 months, 20 days, and the youngest 53 years, 4 months, 23 days.

 Eunice Russell, a neighbor, was once staying with Mrs. Nathaniel Chubbuck in the absence of her husband, and heard a disturbance among the fowls.  She looked out and saw a large black bear, and taking down the gun inide a hole in the "chinking" between the logs and shot the bear dead in his tracks.
 Ebenezer Chubbuck, a brother of Nathaniel, came to Orwell about the same time as Nathaniel, and lived on the farm now occupied by Cicero Cleveland.  He died about 1841, and his wife, Lucina Craw, survived him some three years, both living to a ripe old age.  Their children were Amy, who married to Bert McKee, and lived many years on a farm adjoining her father's; and Fanny, who married Asa McKee, who also owned a farm adjoining her father's.  Bissell, their third, after a residence of some years in Orwell, went west about 1847-48, and reared a family of seven children, all of whom went west, and those who are living still reside there. Mary, their daughter, married James Cleveland.  He resided on the homestead till within a few years past, with their aged parents.  She died in 1839.  Their oldest son is the Rev. H. A. Cleveland, now of Boston, a well known minister of the gospel.  One daughter,  wife of Stephen Russell, resides in Orwell.

 Sarah, another daughter of Ebenezer Chubbuck, married Peter Sturdevant, and Lucina, the youngest, married Rufus D. Cleveland.  Eben Chubbuck, a son, was killed at Kellogg's Crossing, on the Sullivan and State Line railroad, a few years since.

 George Pendleton came, in 1812, from Norwich, Conn., and settled on the place on which he now resides.  His father was a seafaring man, and lost heavily in the War of 1812, and be came to this county to obviate the necessity of his children following the calling of a soldier or sailor.  William Pendleton married a Pitcher, and George also, sisters.  The latter went to Norwich and brought the widowed mother of his wife to his home, and she afterwards married Esquire Coburn.  The father's name was George, and he had a large family.  He and his second son died in 1814 of, an epidemic, which wasted the settlement that year.

 Hampton Champlin came from Norwich also in 1821-22, and married and settled in Warren.  Noah Chaffee came from near Providence, R. I., and John and Samuel Wheaton came from the same neighborhood, and took up the lands on which their descendants now live.
 Samuel Matthews came from Plymouth in 1821 and died in 1845.  He was a clothier by trade, and a single man when be came.  He built a clothiery and then a carding machine, and subsequently built grist mill above the site of the present one.  Griswold Matthews was a nephew, and managed the business on the death of his uncle.

  Alvin and Milton Humphrey were later comers to Orwell, and did not remain permanently.  Deacon Theophilus Humphrey was the rather of Dr. Dudley Humphrey.  Dr. Humphrey left surviving him two sons, James D. and Theophilus, and two daughters.
 On the tax-list of the town of Mount Zion, as the first organized township, which included Orwell, was called, for the year 1801, were 73 taxables, 15 of whom were single freemen, 3 of the latter being schoolmaster, 2 of them Amos and Ebenezer Coburn, and the other Edward Russell. Parley Coburn was a schoolmaster too. The young men were assessed $2750, the total assessment being $6815. The assessors were Samuel Woodruff, Asahel Johnson, and James Bowen.  There were 19 horses, 68 oxen, and 53 cows above the age of 4 years, 45 houses, 1 grist mill, and 542 acres of improved lands in the township.  In 1806 the list of taxables in Orwell numbered 102 residents.

 The first white child born in the township was Joel, son of Asahel Johnson, who was born May 18, 1799, who is still living in the town.
 The first death that occurred among the settlers was that of the wife of Adarine Manville, who died Nov. 1, 1801.  Miles Pierce, a young man, died next.


 The first school was taught in the township, in 1803, by Clarissa, daughter of Capt.  Samuel Woodruff, in an old log house, built by Deacon William Johnson. There were only about five or six scholars in the township at the time, and the most of these attended this school.  Laura (Frisbie) Bronson taught the school the next summer, having eight scholars.

 The Congregational church was organized in or before the year 1810, Mrs. Dan Russell being one of the first members.
 The first Sabbath school regularly organized in the town was formed in 1827; the town Bible society was organized in 1824 ; and in 1829 the first temperance society was organized.

 A meetinghouse was built, in 1827-28, on the Ridge road, and continued until Ira Bronson came into the cotintry - and in 1849 the church on Orwell hill was built, and was then thought too far from the centre of population.


 When Asahel Johnson settled on the Conklin place his nearest neighbor was Mr. Mosusan, four miles distant. He came in with his wife and three or four small children, the oldest but seven years of age.  His only stock was a cow, which he bought of his neighbor Mesusan, and which was inclined to return to its former home at every opportunity.  Mr. Johnson was compelled to go to Sheshequin to work to get grain for his family supplies, during which time his family remained alone, Mrs. Johnson taking care of the cow and her children.  On one of these trips Mr. Johnson was delayed past his usual time of returning, and Mrs. Johnson, in attempting to replenish her depleted wood pile, cut her foot severely, and for some time it bled profusely despite all her efforts to stanch the flow.  She became alarmed, and fearing she would bleed to death, instructed the children, in case she did not succeed in stanching the wound, to bind the bloody clothes about the cow's bead and turn her loose, hoping she would make her way to her old home, and so alarm the neighbor and bring relief Happily, she succeeded in stepping the flow of blood, but was disabled for many weeks.  During this time the house caught fire, but the children extinguished it.  On the day of the accident, Mr. Johnson was impressed with a sense of disaster at home, and tried to banish it front his mind, but so strong was his presentiment e could not sleep that night, and early the next morning took his way home.  When he arrived at Mr. Mesusan's he inquired after his family, but could learn nothing, and on expressing his fears they so wrought upon the kind heart of Mrs.  Mesusan that she accompanied her neighbor to his home, where they arrived at night, after the children had retired.  Mrs. Johnson was almost overjoyed, for not only was she helpless, but her provisions and her wood were exhausted.

 During the survey of the township in 1796, Zenas Cook and Truman Johnson were caught in a severe snow storm, so far from their cabin chat they could not reach it that night.  They had one axe and one overcoat between them, and while one chopped to keep from freezing the other wore the garment, and thus they alternated during the night.  While the survey was human prosecuted, a young bear was disturbed, and climbed a small tree, where he was followed by Asahel Johnson with a "sharp stick," with which be tried to induce the cub to come down.  Instead, the young brute began to make his way out among the limbs, and progressed as far as he thought the limb would hold, when be made himself fast to it, and refused to budge farther.  Johnson then used his stick as a lever, and pried one foot of Bruin loose, and grasping the leg wrenched him off, and he dropped to the ground, where he was dispatched by Frisbie with a club.


 from drowning is related by Joel Cook, in which he played the part of the rescuer, and saved a woman and her babe front a watery grave.
 In the month of March, 1811, Mr. Cook was engaged with Truman Johnson at work on his farm, and assisting in a saw mill.  One day, in going to a blacksmith shop to get the saw repaired, he had to cross the creek in reaching the shop, the only bridge being a large hemlock, so felled as to lie across the stream.  It was a safe crossing for sure feet and steady heads only, especially at that time, when the creek was full, the water coming close up to the log.  A woman who lived near by was overtaken by the sawyers, carrying a small child in her arms.  Mr. Johnson knew she lived near by and had frequently crossed the log, and so passed along without thinking to offer assistance, but Mr. Cook, after making the passage and going some little distance, turned back to give a helping hand to the woman, and as he reached the tree she was about half-way across, when suddenly she fell into the water with her babe in her arms.  Mr. Cook immediately sprang into the stream, which was very swift, the water reaching to his neck.  He grasped the lady by the shoulders and endeavored to wade to the shore, but the current was too strong, and swept him off his feet, submerging woman and child. He then supported her and it with one arm, and struck out with the other, and was swept into an eddy against some flood-wood, where Mr. Johnson was standing, and Mr. Cook succeeded in getting the child out of its mother's arms, and handed it to Johnson, who took it to the house, while Mr. Cook assisted the lady out of the water, almost strangled, and so chilled that site was unable to walk unsupported to the house.  The woman was the wife of Jacob Wickizer, and the baby grew up and married Ezra Allis, reared a family, and has resided to the present time in Allis Hollow.


 The Pennsylvania title for the tract on which Potterville is situated, which was originally the Poyntell tract, passed through several different hands until it came into the possession of an Englishman named Lee, who sold to a couple of Yorkshire men, from England, named Moses Wood and James Sowerly, who came to their purchase in 1822, stopped one season, and then appointed Joel Cook their agent, and left.  The Sowerly tract was sold to Jason Potter in 1824, at which time he came to the same tract from Montrose.  He was a native of Plymouth, Litchfield Co., Conn.  He married Clarissa Tyler in Montrose; she is dead, but Mr. Potter is still living, aged eighty-three years.  He reared a large family of children, sonic of whom are now residing in the neighborhood of Potterville.
(Since the above writing, Mr. Potter has deceased.  The place was named in his honor.)

 In 1849 a church was built at Potterville for the Presbyterian church, and the presbytery invoked for a separate organization from the Orwell church, which request was denied - whereupon a Congregational church was organized in 1849.  In 1875 the Potterville congregation built a very pleasant house of worship, thirty-five by fifty feet, at a cost of about four thousand dollars.
 In 1852 a post-office was established at Potterville, and Elizur C. Potter was appointed postmaster.
 In 1837 a post-office was established at South Hill, and Wm. Warfield appointed postmaster, and in 1868 an office was established at Allis Hollow, and George J. Norton appointed postmaster.

**********************Page 331***********************

About 1817, Messrs.  Battles, Lloyd, Eastabrooks, and Barnes made a settlement in the southeastern part of the township called South Hill.  The land, which had been thought to be of inferior quality, proved to be valuable.  Mr. Battles was a wooden-dish turner, and selected the location on account of its being a favorable place for timber out of which to make his dishes.  He was so well pleased with the location that lie wrote to the others, who were his neighbors in Massachusetts, and they sold out tDd followed him to a country which promised so well to demand hard work and plenty of it before much return could be obtained from the soil.


of the pioneers were as follows: In Orwell Hill cemetery the following old settlers are buried: Col.  Theron Darling and wife, aged 70 and 87 years respectively ; Asahel Johnson, 90 years, and Beulah, his wife, 82 years; Huldah, wire of Truman Johnson, 76 years; Uri Cook, 80 years, and Phebe, his wife, 64 years; Chauncey Frisbie, 77 years; Mrs. Eliza Frisbie, 80 years - James Newells and wife, the latter 80 years; Josiah Grant, 54 years, and Margaret, wife of Josiah Grant, 71 years - Samuel Matthews and wife, Betsey - Mamre, wife of Samuel Matthews, 78 years - Randall Matthews and wife, 77 and 74 years - Aaron Frost, 76 years, and Polly, his wife, 78 years; Henry W. Hine, 63 years; Capt.  Josiah Grant and wife; Chester Gridley and wife; Dr. Dudley Humphrey and James D. Humphrey; Mrs. Jason Chaffee; David and Mrs. Olds; Abel and Mrs. Darling; Levi Frisbie, 83 years, and Mrs. Levi Frisbie, 84 yeirs; Joel and Ruth Barnes, 68 and 60 years; Abel and Mrs. Allis, 70 and 68 years.

 In the cemetery at the foot of Orwell Hill the following are buried: Amasa Dimmick, 74 years; Jonathan and Mrs. Prince, 63 and 62 years; Mrs. Tryphena Smith, 60 years; Hezakiah and Mrs. Russell, 79 and 73 years; Roger and Mrs. Alger, 69 and 73 years.  Nathaniel Chubbuck and Mrs. Chubbuck, 76 and 72 years; Wicome and Mrs. Clark, 81 and 88 years - Dan Russell, 81 years, and Polly, wife of Dan Russell (1820), 50 years; Ruth, second wife of Dan Russell (1863), 82 years;  Wm.  Sexton, 78 years; Mrs. Henry Hiney, 61 years.


 An association called the Wysox and Orwell library association was organized in 1812, with a capital stock of $500, divided into 200 shares, at $2.50 per share, "payable in merchantable lumber or grain, at the market prices, within three months after the books shall have been purchased." The librarian was to be chosen as soon as 100 shares were subscribed.  Every subscriber, before he could draw books, was to pay his subscription, or give security therefor.  The library was to be kept permanently in Wysox township.  Previous to this date a library had existed in Orwell, and it was arranged that the books then in that library should be received on subscriptions to the new association.  The whole number of subscribers was - 154, who subscribed for 189 shares, Robert Ridgway taking six, S. T. Barstow, William Keeler, and Naphtali Woodburn, four each, and Jacob Bell, three.  Eighteen others subscribed for two shares each, and the balance was made up by single shareholders.
 **The first meeting of the association was held at Jacob Myer's, February 6, 1813, at which Thomas Elliott was chosen moderator and J. 3I.  Piollet secretary.  Dr. S. T. Barstow reported a code of by-laws, which were adopted, and the doctor was elected librarian and treasurer.  J. 31.  Piollet, Jacob Bell, Wm.  Myer, W. F. Dininger, and Asahel Johnson were appointed an executive committee, and were to meet March 13 to select books other than those selected by the subscribers.  At this meeting works on divinity and religion to the value of $50, on history and miscellany, $150, and of fiction, $100, were selected.  Dec. 25, 1813, books were examined and approved by the committee.  On Jan. 10, 1814, catalogues were ordered prepared and printed, and the treasurer gave bonds in the sum of $500.  The last meeting of the association, as recorded, was bold March 3, 1834.  The association, being unincorporated, could not enforce its by-laws, and the subscribers became careless about returning the books, and, in 1839, C. C. Worthing called and found the book-ease empty, save one book only, the 11 Constitutional Register," which he says he drew, and P. Forbes, now deceased, subsequently drew the case.  There were over 300 volumes originally.  The circulation of the library extended over Standin, Stone, Wysox, Rome, and Orwell, and into Sheshequin.
Old John Parks, Sr., was greatly interested in the library, and usually drew " Pilgrim's Progress." On one occasion, that book being out, Dr. Barstow sent him instead "The Child of Tliirty-six Fathers," and the old gentleman expressed himself' much pleased with the variety the library contained.  C. J. Parks, a son of the above, was a steidy and frequent patron of the book-ease, and said the library necessitated another labor,-the gathering of an extra quatitit,y of fat pine-knots, to furnisti light to read the books by.



The subject of this sketch was born in Windham Co., Conn., Dec. 20, 1780.  He wis the eldest son of a ftinily Of Dine children of Asa Payson and Lucy Bishop, both natives of the New England States.  On his fathei,'s side

the descent is from English ancestry.  On his motber's side the family is traced back to the first settlers in AiDerica, who sailed in the Mayflower and landed at Plymouth Rock in 1620, supposed to be of Dutch descent.  His father and mother both died in Connecticut.  Nathan came to Orwell township in the year 1809, when the country was almost an unbroken wilderness, took up a piece of' woodland and commenced clearing off the forest, and in the fail returned to Connecticut.  The next spring be returned to his new boii)e in Bradford County. having previously, Feb. 1, 1810, niarried Miss Betsey Sharp, daughter of Caleb Sharp and Alice Sanger.  Sbe was born Sept. 22, 1784, in Pomfret, Conn.  Coming to their wilderness home, they began as only pioneers can, meeting the obstacles coincident with the early settlerqent of a country.  During the same year be completed the clearing of a piece of land and erected a frame house, the first built in the vicinity.  He subsequently added to his first purchase, and at one time owned one hundred and eighty-eiglit acres of land, most of which be bad cleared of its original forest.  He was among the most energetic and

industrious men of his day, possessing that business capacity which made him a successful and representative farmer, To Mr. and Mrs. Payson were born seven children: Lucy Ann, born Nov. 3, 1810 ; Alice Lucetta, born Sept. 3, 1812, died April 19, 1876; Sabra Emeline, born June 30, 1814; John Wilkes, born April 19, 1816; Loana Frances, born Dec. 25, 1818, died Aug. 27, 1853 - Asa Bishop, born April 13, 1821 ; and William Pitt, born April 7, 1825.  Lucy Ann married Eliphalet W-,irfield; have four children; reside in Miciii,,,aii.  Alice Lucetta married Horace Lounsbury, of Nichols, N. Y. Sabra Emeline married Horace Lounsbury; reside in Nichols, N. Y. John Wilkes niarried Miss Perintha Bronson, of Orwell township, for his first wife; bad two children.  For his second wife, be married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Elijah Alger and Martha Kennedy, of ]@,'Iiington, Conn., April 14, 1850.  She was born Nov. 29, 1814.  To Mr. John Wilkes Payson, by his second wife, were born three children : Perintba Elizabeth, Martha Rodella, and William Gillespie (died young).  A view of their residence and surroundings, together with their portraits, will be found on knother page of this work.

Asa Bi.-Iwp married Miss Fanny Beardley, of Le Raysville; have five children; reside at Le Raysville; and William Pitt married Miss Aclisah Webster, of Windham township ; have thirteen children, all living.

Nathan Payson in politics was a supporter of the Federalist cause in its day; subsequently became a Wliig, and afterwards an ardent supporter of Republican principles.  Was never desirous of' office, although be never shrank from duty in bearing public burdens.  Integrity of purpose, a fearless honesty before the world, promptness in all his engagements, were his especial characteristics.  At the age ,f thirty-eight years he united with the Congregationalist church, remained warmly attached to the same the balance of his life, and during many years previous to his death was an cider of the church.  His wife lived to the advanced age of ei,-,bty-eight years - was a CODsistent member of the same church as her husband for sixty-six years.  A model woman, CXelDplai-y in all her ways, and instructed her children in all that makes true manhood and womanhood, She

died May 5, 1873.  Natlian Payson lived from the year 1SIO until his death upon the place where be first settled on coming to the county.  In everything that goes to make good society Mr. I'ziyson gave a liberal support.  For several years previous to his death be resided with his son, Win.  P., who carried on the old homestead.  He lived in an unostentatious way, plain and unassuming in his manners.  Died July 22, 1868.


The suject of this sketch was born in the township of PI .yiiioutli, Litchfield Co., Conn., Dec. 29, 1791.  He was the youngest child of a family of ten children (four sons and six daughters) of Joel Cook and Dinah Dunbar, both natives of Conn,-cticut.  His father was born in 1746, and was a lineal descendant of Henry Cook, who came from Kent Co., England, and was at the Plymouth colony previous to l640.  HismotherwasborninWalliiigford,Conn., about 1750, and her ancestors are supposed to be of Scotch birth.  His father spent his life in agricultural pursuits; caiuc to Bradford County in the year 1814 with his son Uri, and lived to the advanced age of iiinety years and thirtytwo days.  He was a true patriot, and enlisted in the War of the Revolution for three years, in the year 1776.  His grandfather took his son's place in the army for a short time, at his own request, was taken sick, and died ; and, notwithstanding this event, the son returned to the army and claimed his place, and again answered to the name of Joel Cook, served his time out, and got an honorable discharge.  A very interesting incident in his history while in the service is as follows: The division of tile army in which lie was lay at Valley For,-e, Pit.  He was taken sick, being cared for by an Indian.  The doctor gave up his case as hopeless, and left him for the night.  His Indian nurse went up to his chamber and went to sleep.  In the night his thii-st became almost unendurable, and he was unable to awaken the Indian.  Ile remembered lie bad a fourounce bottle of liquid camphor, which with much difficulty be managed to get from his knapsack, on] v inteiiding to wet his lips, but soon found lie bad taken it all, and very soon was in the highest state of perspiration, which, instead of proving the means of his death, saved his life.  The doctor said in the morning that his fever was entirely gone, but wondered that the dose of cziiyipbor bad not entirely killed him.  There were also other members of the fiiuiily in the war for independence, showing fully the patriotism and love of liberty characteristic of the family.  His mother died at about the age of seventy years.

Joel, the subject of this memoir, came in advance of his father, and settled in BradFord County in the fall of 1810.  Returning to Connecticut, be remained only a short time, settling on the very spot where he now resides, in the township of Orwell, in this county, in January, 1811.  He first took up some three hundred and three acres of wilderness land, a part of which he afterwards disposed of, clearing the balance of his purchase of its original forest, and preparing it for agricultural purposes.  H is life has been mostly spent in farming.  In politics he was first a Federalist, afterwards a Whig, and upon the formation of the Republican party became an unswerving supporter of its principles, and has been an active member of the party, but never solicited any public office.  But the high esteem in which he has been held by his fellow-townsiiien has placed him in several offices of trust and responsibility within their suffrages, He has been connected with all the best interests of his township calculated to elevate and make good society.  He started the first tract-society in his township ; was the first to head and superintend the first regularly-organized Sundayschool ; was the leader of the temperance movement in 1829, the object of which was to expel liquor from its common use in the pioneer days of the county's history.  His efforts were successful.  During his whole life of manhood he has been a close Bible student, and a reader of the best literature of the day, and now, in his eiglity-seventh year, possesses a mind capable of rehearsing quite minutely the substance and result of his literary research.  In the year 1814, May 22, he married Miss Polly, daughter of Dan Russell and Polly Chubbuck, of the township of Orwell.

To Mr. and Mrs. Joel Cook were born five sons and one daughter.  Darwin Cook, born April 1, 1815, graduated at Easton college, in English and classics, and at Princeton college, in theology, and is now a Presbyterian clergyman.  Married Miss Adelia Lewis, daughter of Justice Lewis, of Wyalusing, Sept. 4, 1849. Mary, born Oct. 18, 1816, a maiden lady, resides in Potterville; has given much of her time to teaching.

Cyrus, born Feb. 16, 1818, married Miss Caroline A. Ellsworth, daughter of Oliver Ellsworth, of Orwell township, Sept. 16, 1840.  He is a farmer, and an active business man.  Was appointed assistant revenue assessor in 1869 and 1870.  Resides in the township of Orwell.

Seth, born Sept. 18, 1822, married Miss E. C. Pendleton, daughter of George Pendleton, of Warren township, Sept. 18, 1851, resides in the old homestead, and cares for his father in his declining years.

Ralph, born Nov. 28, 1826, died at the age of 20 years.
Philip Barnes, born Jan. 17, 1832, married Miss Emma Langwortby, of Indiana, imarch 14, 1865.  He is a graduate of Princeton college, and is a Presbyterian clergyman was a chaplain in the AriDy of the Rebellion.  Losing his voice, he gave up preaching, studied medicine for four years in St. Louis, and now practices medicine in Kingston, Pa.
Joseph Cook and his wife both united with the Pi-esbyterian church during the early days of their married life.  The wife and,mother remained a verv ardent member of the church.  She was warmly attached to her family, and died Aug. 15, 1861.


the second son of U. S. Brown and Sally Slawson, was born May 29, 1822, at Pound Ridge, in Westchester Co., N. Y. When he was six years of age, his father moved to Orwell, this county, with his family, consisting of four cbildren,-his mother having died previously, April 6, 1827.  His father, however, in August, 1828, married again (a lady by the name of Howe), and comnienced a farm in the wilderness, on the site now occupied by his son George W. Here the subject of this sketch spent the years of his minority in clearing land and in general farm labor on his father's place.  During the five years following the attainraent of his majority he was engaged on the farms of J. Cleveland, Ira Bronson, Henry Gibbs, and others, and bad purchased a portion of the Darrow farm of Ira Darrow.  He married Miss Betsy Morey, of Orwell, Oct. 13, 1847.  The results of this union were four sons and two daughters.  Mrs. Brown was of feeble constitution, but a woiian of sterling worth, and greatly beloved and appreciatcd by the tinily she reared to uaaiibood and woman-

hood, and who survive to do honor to her memory.  She died July 10, 1877.  Mr. Brown took another companion, Nov. 7, 1877,-Lucy Aurelia Beers, of Brooklyn, Susquehanna Co., Pa., but formerly of Orwell.  With most of his family about him, and the gray bairs of accumulating years gathering on his brow, Mr. Brown continues to reside at the homestead (purchased Sept. 6, 1853), in the full en'joyment of the comforts. his industry has secured to him, and respected and esteemed bythe community in which he resides.

*********************************************************** The section below this appears not to have been proofed after scanning - We will anticipate corrections later

Chauncy Frisbie ms her., n.ti,,,s of Connecticut, ..d of Eglish descent.  Hi,, fth@, did service i. the R@v.luti...ry war ,hile in Co.."ti@.t, and at the age f forty-thr@. years came with hi. family (wife ..d four children) in tl.. year 1800, and ,@ttled i. the township f Orwell, .. the plc@ ..w owned ..d occupied by his @ ... g@st a.,,, Judge Z@b.i..,!, he being her. after the family a.,, to this county.  His .other was one f the s@r,i,or. of the Wyoming massacre, her fth@r being killed ,t that time, she being only eleven years f g,,.  Th@. f,,,,,ity were ,m.@g the,@ f the township f Orwell.  They met the obstacles f . settlement i. the wilderness, and the any incidents connected with their history while clearing fr the forest r,! ..tie,,, f great i.te,,.t to the rising His fttb@r died Oct. 5, 1842, t the g@ f ighty-fu, His @..ther died Oct. 5, 1852, at the g@ f @ighty-f.., years. having a.r,i,,,d he, h.sba.,i some to. years.
The children @r@ trained i. tb,) discipli.. of the New England stock,
brought p i. the Pr.@byt@ri.. fith, which is till . leading

of nearly .11 its            progeny.  Such were tb,3 f morality,

temperance, ..d irt.@ placed before the. by the parents s to make a i.gti,,g ... i.. upo. their i.d.. Cb...,!ey . fair edc.ti.n before leaving Connecticut.  He spent the time before "coming of age" t home in agricultural permit., and for term. engaged as . teacher d.ringthewinters..s.... As.t@.@h@,h@display@dthat.arkede.ecutie ability which chrf,.t,3ri-d hi. who],, life.  Mrch 17, 18112, he .ar,-ied Miss Chl.,! Ilow-,d, @@ native of C---Itetieut, but who had col.,e to this county with her he, ftl,,r being dead.  Cl,aii.cey spent his life i. farming, and unaided ..d with the h-tlp f' h,s wife, @ar,,,d out . fair competence, owning at u.@ time some three hundred acres of land, some part of which he cleared f its rigin.1 forest with his w. b..ds. The same property is ow owned nd occupied by hi. so., George C. Fri@bie, who has erected a fin., commodious residence in the illge f Orwell, . view of which, with the portraits of himself and wife, will be f .. d o. another page; and, in honor to his father, he desires to place this sketch i. the histoy of the township where he lived, and for the int,3,-est,, of which he so much labored.

In politics Chauncey Was in the early part of his life a, Federalist, but since the time of the election of Gen.  Jackson be was an unswerving Dome-

c,-.t. He .s s.,newhat active in political atter,,, and by the a.ff,.ges f his f@ll,,.-tow@s-,!n holdse,-.@.Ii-p,,,t-it-ffi-s.ft,, being treasurer of Bradford Co,.ty t ..,! time.  He nd hi,, wife were both

of the Presbyterian church f Orwell, and are still romembeed by the church as consistent ei)ers of the contributing liberally fr

it,, support.

T. Mr. .d Mrs. Frisbi@ were her. two hildre. who lived to adult ge,
H. Z. ..d Ph@be M.,ia F,isbie.  His first wife died t the g@ of thirtyfive years.  Fe, his second wife he ..rried the widow f the late Dr. D.dl@y ll,,.,pb,cy, of Connecticut, to who. were born two children, George Chauncey, and Rachel (died in inf..ey).
The father died in hi., se,e.ty-@@,.,.th year, May 4, 1864, honored ..d

esp@ct@d by .11 who knew hi.. He was -t@d for his i.tag,-ity of purpose and his honest dealing.-. His wife i.rvived hi. o.e two

years, and died Sept. 9, 1865, g.d eighty years.  She was i, consistent Cbri.tia. wo.@. and ..,.Iy attached to h., family.
GFO.G. C.AUNCFY FRisRiE was born March 1, 1831, and O.t. 17, 1855, r,ie,l Miss 11.1d,.th Jane, daughter f Peter and Deborah Kuyk@.d.11, f Wi.dh.. township, hi. wife being be.. April 2@i, 1833.  Their childre.',, names are Fred V., H@cto, 11., George MeL@ll.., Frank C., Sarah Je..i., [I.n.on C. (died y.@ing), Willi.  K., nd Benjamin L.
JUDGE: ZEBULO-I FRisBii,, who,,,! portrait @ also given above, was the youngest child of L@,i F,i@bie',, family, and was born o. the spot where heh.sai."Ii,e(IJuly4,1801. Hesp.,.thi,,,&,Iylifeinf.,-Mi.g. Atthe age of twe.ty-se,,,. he ..r.-i,!d Miss Polly Goodwi., a native of Co.necticut, but at thD time of the f Orwell township.  They have six childen living.  Judge Frisbi@ has spent most of his life in ag, ... I pursuits. 1. p.litia. he was originally . Wbig, but po. the formation f the Rep,@l,lie.. I,.,ty b-.m@ .. ardent supporter of its principle.; he was justice f the peace f his township for @ightee. years i. s."essio., f.1lowed by a term f five years as associate judge of the county.  He cared for his fth@, ..d mother during the last days of their lives, ..d now occupies the bo.@@te.d settled upon by his father o. first coming to the
county.  H. and hi. wife are both warmly attached to the Presbyterian church, and have b-. members f the same the second yer of their

marriage.  The judge has been an older in the church for the past twenty years.  He is a an without ogt.nttio., f exemplary habits, sociable and genial, and highly respected by his fellow-citize.s.

The subject of this sketch was born in the town of D.aneab.,g, gehe.-atady Go., N. Y., Dec. 6, 1808.  He was the eighth child of a family of eleven children of Gardner Cleveland and Annis Durkee.  His fther was . native of Rhode Island, and of English descent.  His mother we . native of ConTieticut, and her ancestors early settlers of Massachusetts Bay, and supposed to be also of English extraction.  His father was proi.,,.tly identified with the public interests of Schenectady county, being appointed &a its first judge, which position he hold until his age debarred him few that office.
His parents came to Dusnesburg so.. after they were married, ard )eased some two hundred acres of land, and carried oil farming.  Here his father resided for many years, and afterwards removed to Esperance, S,ohoharie Co., N. Y., where the family had only resided about one year when the father died at about sixty years of g@.  His mother survived her husband many years, and during the last years of her life lived with her children, and died at the very advanced age of ninety-nine years and six months, at the residence of her youngest son, Rfu.  D. Oleveland, near Camptown, Bradford Co.
The children of this family received that training and discipline from their parents so common among New England people as to carry its inlluence in morals through its generation, ad give tht business ability which haa been so exemplified in the family among the children.

James spent his boyhood days pon the farm at home, receiving only the opportunities of the common school during the winter season, as in those days a pecuniary value was placed upon the time of children before coming f age.

At the age of seventeen years he went to learn the carpenter and joiner trade, and remeiised at that business until he was some twenty-three years of age, and after spending a short time in Syracuse he came to the township of Orwell, Bradford Co., Pa., and commenced work at his trade.  In the year 1834, April 3, be married Miss Mary, daughter of Ebeneser Chubbuck and Lusins Crawa, of Orwell, formerly of Connecticut.  She was born Oct. 20, 1799.

During the first few years after their marriage he carried on farming and also worked at his trade, and about the year 1844 added to the land- he already had a purchase of one hundred acres,'and since which time until 1871 he has been engaged s . f.,m.r, and oloseed among the careful business men of his township. In politics Mr. Cleveland ha. taken . decided stand, casting his first vote with the old Whig party, and upon the formation of the Republican party became an ardent supporter of its principles.  Unswervingly he has stood, and now at the age of iieventy-one years is identified with the reformations of his day.  Libbral in his views in all the best interests of society, he has contributed liberally for the support of the church of which he has been a member for some forty years, viz., the Methodist Episcopal, and his home has been open and free to the wandering and needy.
To his first wife were born three children, Horace A., May B., and James G. The last one died at the age of thirty-four years, in the year 1872, in California.  The mother of these children wai a woman of true love and devotion to her ohildren, a consistent Christian.  She died Dec. 9, 1839.
For his second wife he married, Feb. 24,1840, Miss Orinds Allips, of Orwell township, to whom were born three children, Annis O., Sarah Ellen, nd Robert Oscar.  The last one died at the age of eight years, in the year 1854.  His wife died Feb. 15, 1846.
For his third wife he married, May 8,1846, Miss Eunice Diinmick, of Orwell township.  To his third wife were born two children, John Cicero and Nathan C., both liing.  His wife died August 14, 1869.  Mr. Clv.l.nd has survived his last wife some nine years, and now resides with his daughter, Mrs. Mary E. Russell, who married Stephen Russell, grandson of Daniel Russell, one of the first settlers of Orwell township.
Mr. Cleveland has lived some forty-eight years in Orwell township; is a man free from any ostentation or show; has always been known among his follow-men am a man of strict integrity of purpose; has occupied prominent positions of trust in his township, and the influence of thin brief sketch of his life will go down to generations yet unborn.