|Our heartfelt condolences go out to Carol and her family in this tragic
loss.This has to be absoutely devastating to them. I know that their house
had been in her husband's family for a long time. So much of what we lose
in such an event can never be replaced. We are sad for her loss. I imagine
it will be some time before we can contact her via email. I am sure that
is not the first thing on her mind just now. Joyce M. Tice
At left is a 1988 photo Carol sent me some time back of their farm. Below is a 1960 photo. This is, I believe, a century farm.
It is the house in the background of the top photo, the blue house, that burned.
|Subj: Carol Brotzman
Date: 01/14/2004 4:32:18 PM Eastern Standard Time
From: (Patty Shumway)
I have some bad news. I saw in the newspaper this morning that Dale and Carol Brotzman lost their house to a fire Tuesday afternoon. I have corresponded with Carol and I know that she has contributed many things about the Beaver Meadows Church to the site. I see in the paper that the Beaver Meadows Church is taking up a special collection at their Sunday church service for Dale and Carol. I thought you might want to know. I feel so bad for her and can't imagine losing my house. I guess it proves it can happen to anyone. I have pasted the article from the Daily at the bottom of this page.
By: Erin Lemley 01/14/2004
Dale and Carol Brotzman of Tuscarora Township tragically lost their
home to a fire Tuesday afternoon on Board Road.
TUSCARORA TOWNSHIP - Chief Scott Fisher of the Laceyville Good Will
Fire Company said his department was contacted around 2:00 p.m. by the
Brotzmans, who said there was a small fire at their house that they hoped
they could put out themselves.
Shortly later, a lieutenant of the fire company who lives nearby arrived on the scene to find the house fully involved, Fisher said. No one was injured in the fire, he said.
After speaking to the owners, Fisher believes the fire started by a malfunction in the Brotzman's furnace system. He said they had an outdoor furnace that was connected to their house by pipes, and the fire started probably somewhere in the pipes.
Fisher did not know whether the home was insured or not. He was unable to ask the Brotzmans because their family was meeting with the Red Cross by the time the fire department left the scene around 7 p.m., Fisher said.
Laceyville Good Will Fire Company was in charge at the scene of the fire. They were assisted at the scene by Meshoppen and Rush fire departments, Fisher said. He also said that Wyalusing's fire department covered their station while Triton's fire department covered Rush's station. An ambulance from Wyalusing was also at the scene.
Beaver Meadows United Methodist Church in Tuscarora Township is taking a special collection for the Brotzmans at their Sunday morning service at 9 a.m., according to the Rev. Bill Nelson
We made it out amidst the black smoke and flames coming at us I got
my (computer) tower and the church money and my digital cameras all in
You run like you never have before. Dale got the John Deere out of there and I got the truck.
My key board did not take the trip through the snow, it sticks so forgive
the typing. the kids got me an extra old monitor. God blessed us and gave
us life and wonderful friends Most of my books are being xeroxed to be
replaced as we speak. I will never get them all but we are alive!
here is what happend!
Firefighters from Laceyville, Meshoppen and Rush battled a fire that destroyed the Tuscarora Township home of Dale and Carol Brotzman Tuesday afternoon.Photo by David Keeler
Fund Established for Tuesday Fire Victims
By David Keeler
A fund has been established at area First Liberty Banks (formerly Grange National) to accept donations for Dale and Carol Brotzman, Tuscarora Township dairy farmers who lost virtually everything in a Tuesday afternoon blaze that destroyed their home. [The note says that First Liberty is formerly Grange National. By that name I can find it in the Yellow Book at 400 Main Street, Towanda PA- 570-265-4711 if you want to check on it. ]
Laceyville Fire Chief Scott Fisher said the fire started around 2 p.m. due a malfunction in an outside wood heater. Fisher said the fire started near where heat pipes entered the home. “By the time they knew there was a problem, the entire side of the house was burning,” Fisher said.
For a time, the Brotzmans battled the blaze with a fire extinguisher, but were unsuccessful.
Fisher said the first Laceyville firefighter on the scene was Brian Yurgatis, a neighbor of the Brotzmans. Yurgatis alerted fellow firefighters of the worsening condition of the fire.
When fire trucks arrived, Fisher said the home was burning out of control in what he described as a fully involved fire.
Fisher confirmed that the Brotzmans lost virtually everything in their two-story house, which was said to be over 100 years old.
Carol Brotzman, an amateur historian, did manage to save a computer that contains her extensive collection of local history and photos. She also removed two antique family keepsake bells from the burning house.
Fisher said he called in a fire marshal to help determine the cause of the fire but emphasized the fire was not suspicious in any way.
Firefighters from Laceyville, Rush and Meshoppen responded to the scene. Wyalusing and Tunkhannock firefighters were placed on standby. Water was ferried to the fire scene from Sova’s pond, about a half mile away.
At least some of the family’s loss is said to be covered by insurance.
A special offering for the Brotzmans will be held Sunday morning at the Beaver Meadows United Methodist Church.
Red Cross officials said yesterday that they have been unable to contact the Brotzmans concerning items they may need.
You are the
visitor since the counter was installed on 14 JAN 2004
Back To Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice