Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Tri-Counties Newspaper Clippings
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
No Commercial Use
Clippings Front Page
Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts
Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts
Troy Gazette-Register 1903 Table of Contents
Say Hello to Joyce
Advertisements illustrating these pages are from 1903 Issues
Knapp & Beaman, Undertakers

Tri County Clippings- Troy Gazette Register 1903

Typed by Pat MOTT Gobea
These clippings from ancient and fragile newspapers stored above the Troy Gazette-Register office are being typed by Tri-County volunteers for presentation on site. Primarily we are preserving the neighborhood news columns and the obituary, marriage and birth information included in them. I intend also to include articles that show the influences on the lives and attitudes of our local populations at the time, and I will also illustrate the individual pages with ads from the era. Nothing is more revealing of lifestyle than the goods and services available.
The TGR covers the area of all townships surrounding Troy and many neighborhoods have a local column submitted, but not necessarily every week or even every year. 
Our thanks goes to the staff of the Troy Gazette-Register for giving us access to this valuable old news so that we can share it with you. There is no better way to understand the culture and customs of our old communities than by sifting through these clippings.  Even the names of some of these old communities have ceased to exist in today's world, but we have them captured and preserved here.  If you do not have the time to enjoy the luxury of sifting through clippings, these will be included in the Partitioned PICO Search Engine which you can reach from current What's New Page of the site. There is a partition just for the TGR Clippings.
Joyce's Search Tip - August 2008 
Do You Know that you can search just the 239 pages of Troy Gazette-Register Clippings on the site by using the TGR Clippings button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page
You'll also find obituary and other newspaper clippings using the three county-level Obits by Cemetery buttons and the general Clippings Button. Additional clippings can be found in the Birth, Marriage, and some other partitions. 


(Births, Marriages, and Deaths were not listed in separate sections of the newspaper as they are now. These have been extracted from the Neighborhood Columns)

Troy Gazette – Register
Troy, Bradford County, PA

Twenty-second Year, #1040, Thursday, January 1, 1903

Joseph Schaffer, aged 20, a nitroglycerine shooter employed by the Pennsylvania Torpedo company of Bradford, was blown to atoms near State Line on December 9th.  He was driving a team harnessed to a sledge laden with 100 quarts of nitroglycerine, when the sledge dropped suddenly into a rut, and the heavy har set off the explosive.  The man’s horses, vehicle and cargo, as well as himself, all went skyward in smoke.

Charles Murray Tillotson.
     C. Murray Tillotson died on Saturday evening at 8:30 o’clock, at the home of S. D. Hoagland on Second street, after a long illness.  Anaema was the cause of death.  Mr. Tillotson was born in LeRoy 38 years ago, the son of C. C. Tillotson, who with three brothers and three sisters survive him.  There will be prayer service at the residence of Mr. Hoagland at 12:30 today and the remains will be taken to East Canton, where funeral services will be held in the M. E. church at 10 o’clock on Tuesday morning.
     The friends of Murray Tillotson are legion, his genial good nature and kindness of heart being proverbial.  His work for 20 years in hotels in Canton, Troy and Towanda brought him in contact with many people of this county as well as the traveling public who will hear with sorrow of his death. –Towanda Review, Dec. 9.

Death of Both Parents.
  Mrs. Calvin Hovey died at her home in Belvidere, Illinois on Thursday, December 4th of dropsy of the heart, after a long and painful illness.  Mary Wheeler Hovey was born at Choconut, Broome Co., N.Y., July 18, 1824.  In the year 1867 the family moved to Belvidere.
     The deceased has been a faithful and loyal member of the Presbyterian church since girlhood, and was a woman of lovable character, with many close personal friends who will regret that a useful and admirable life has closed. –Daily Northwestern
     Calvin Hovey, father of F. W. Hovey of this place, passed away at his home in Belvidere, Illinois, on Tuesday, December 29th, at the advanced age of 94.  Three weeks before he buried his beloved wife and constant companion for fifty nine years, since which time he has failed rapidly until the summons came.  Mr. Hovey was born in Newark Valley, Tioga Co., N.Y., April 20, 1809.  He was married to Mary S. Wheeler May 7, 1844.  During the past thirty five years he has resided at Belvidere, Ill.
     A man of sterling worth and integrity whose example can be safely followed is gone.  He is survived by three sons, F. W. of Troy; S. B. and W. W. of Fort Worth, Texas.
     Mr. and Mrs. Hovey have made several visits in Troy and will be kindly remembered by many friends.

(Local News)  Theron Head, the 18 months old son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Head, died at the family home on State street at an early hour yesterday morning, after an illness of several weeks with cerebro-spinal meningitis.  Funeral services at 3 o’clock this afternoon at the house. –Towanda Review, Dec. 27.

(Local News)  The infant child of Eleazer Waldron and wife of Smithfield, choked to death from swallowing a collar button which lodge in its throat.

Death of Mrs. Julia A. Smith.
     Mrs. Julia A. Smith, a resident of Sullivan, died at her home in that place Wednesday, December 24th.  Funeral services were held at the house on Friday, Rev. Vosburg of Sylvania, officiating.  Mrs. Smith was born near the place of her death and was aged 75 years.  She leaves four sisters and two brothers and a host of friends to mourn her loss.

(Local News)  Stephen T. Brown for 67 years a resident of South Creek township, died on December, 20, aged 91 years.

(Local News)  The infant child of Lee Chaapel of LeRoy, recently died.

Twenty-second Year, #1041, Thursday, January 8, 1903

Brakeman Killed.  A. W. Merrick, a brakeman on the Northern Central railroad, met death in a singular manner, at a point between Penbyrn and Grover, about 3 o’clock Friday morning.  He was aged twenty-five years, a married man, whose home was at Elmira, to which city his body was sent on passenger No. 9.
     Merrick was a new man on the road.  He was employed as a brakeman.  That morning he was going south to Ralston on fright train No. 96.  He was riding in the cab of the engine at a point between Penbyrn and Grover, when Engineer Sutton, in checking the train applied the air suddenly, the result, as is often the case, being that a tongue of ignited gas from the fire box shot into the cab.  Merrick saw this and evidently believed the locomotive was about to explode.
     Before Engineer Sutton or his fireman could restrain him, Merrick had leaped wildly from the locomotive, which was under good speed.  As soon as the train could be stopped some of the crew ran back and found Merrick dead along the track.  He had alighted on his head and crushed his skull.  Death was probably instantaneous.
     Deceased was a son of Dr. W. T. Merrick of New Albany, and formerly living here.  A brother was killed on the Lehigh Valley about a month ago. –Canton Sentinel.

(Local News)  A death a few days since, was that of “Uncle John” Smith of Roseville, aged 89 years.

Twenty-second Year, #1042, Thursday, January 15, 1903

(Local News)  Charles Clendenny, a Lehigh employe was struck by an engine at Sayre while at work, receiving injuries from which he died later in the day at the Packer hospital.

(Local News)  Thomas F. Hickey a resident of Canton died at his home Christmas morning, was a brother of Mrs. Patrick Howley of this place.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. W. H. Connolly.

Death of Mrs. Harriet S. Dare.
     Mrs. Harriet S. Dare died at her home in this borough Thursday morning about half past six.  She suffered from a stroke of paralysis Tuesday evening from which she did not rally.  Her age was 77 years.  The funeral takes place Saturday afternoon at the home at 2 o’clock.

Killed at Sayre.
     James McCann, a Lehigh Valley laborer residing at Sayre, was killed on Sunday forenoon while on his way home.  In order to take a short cut across the railroad yards he started to climb between two freight cars of a train being made up.  A sudden start of the train threw him under the wheels.  He leaves a wife and several children.

(Local News)  Word was received by Dr. Barker this morning of the death of his father, Edmond Barker.  The remains will be interred at Wellsboro.

Death of Mrs. Jordan.
     Mrs. Jennie E. Jordan died at her home on Canton street this (Thursday) evening, after a long illness.

Twenty-second Year, #1043, Thursday, January 22, 1903

Mrs. Harriet Shepard Dare.
     Mrs. Harriet Sheppard Dare, the fifth daughter in succession of Nathan and Sarah Sheppard was born April 25th, 1826 in Cedarville, N.J.  She received the best education available at that time.  On December 2nd, 1845 she married to Dr. Charles V. Dare, and for a time they resided at Salem and at Millville, N. J., at Chester, PA, and in Philadelphia, from where in 1859 they moved and permanently located at Troy, Pa.  Here Mrs. Dare lived with her family until her death on Thursday morning, January 15, 1903.  She is survived by her daughters Mrs. Laura French of Troy, Mrs. Edward F. Lummis of Camden, N.J. and her son Charles W. Dare of New York City.  Two sons, Charles G. and William I., died in childhood and a daughter, Mary S., died in 1894.
     Mrs. Dare has been a member of the First Presbyterian church of Troy, PA., for eighteen years, and has served a long term as a deaconess of the Church, fulfilling her official duties promptly and faithfully.  The innumerable acts of gentleness and kindness which characterized her life endeared her to her friends and neighbors, who will miss her keenly.  For many years she has been called to homes visited by suffering and pain, and gave unstintedly of her time and strength.  Her long life was industrious, painstaking and earnest and she leaves many tokens of her faithfulness and care to comfort her bereaved family.  In spite of the weight of her nearly fourscore years, she was apparently in excellent health until a day or two before her death; her eye was bright, her step firm almost to the last, and her many friends have hoped that years of usefulness remained to her.
     She leaves a family of children and grandchildren to mourn for her, to revere and honor her mercy.  They tenderly laid her remains at rest in Glenwood Cemetery.  Full of honors and of years, her serene and devoted life closed peacefully.

Mrs. Jennie E. Jorden.
     Mrs. Jennie E. Jorden died at her home last Thursday evening after a prolonged illness.  The disaese   from which she died had caused great suffering for 7 years.  Although having been in declining health for so many years she has always been a great worker and her genieal nature and good humor made her many friends.
     She was born in 1841 at Lima, Livingston county, N.Y., and lived in Honeoye Falls, N.Y., and in Chicago for 17 years where she managed a dressmaking establishment.  Mrs. Jorden came to Troy in 1894 and conducted a thriving dressmaking business until she was unable to work.  She was a strong Christian Scientists and friend of the young people, always in good spirits, forgetting her bodily ills.
     The funeral services were conducted Sunday afternoon by Rev. E. P. Morse at her home on Canton street.  According to her wish her remains were taken to the Buffalo crematory to be burned, by undertaker Beaman, Monday morning.  Mrs. Jorden is survived by one sister, Mrs. Helmer, and cousin, Mrs. Joses Greene of this place, and other distant relatives.

Death of Theodore Eaton.
     The sad messenger of death darkened the home of Eleazor Eaton and family of Wells place at about 9 o’clock last Christmas morning in the death of his eldest son, Theodore Eaton, aged about 25 years.  He was taken ill with grip about two weeks before his demise which culminated in typhoid fever the Saturday before the end came.  Mr. Eaton was an exemplary young man, a general favorite among all of his acquaintances and his untimely demise has cast a gloom over the entire community.  The funeral services were held at the family residence on Sunday and were very impressive and largely attended and the remains were tenderly laid to rest at Daggett beside his mother who preceded him in death about seven years.  A father, three sisters and two brothers survive and have much sympathy over their sad and lone Christmas bereavement.  Thoren will be sadly missed by a large circle of friends. –Reporter-Journal, Dec. 29.

(Local News)  Hiram W. Carpenter of East Smithfield, died at his home on Tuesday of last week, of disabilities contracted during an honorable service of four years in the Civil war.  He was 69 years of age and for 23 years had been an active member of Company F, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry.

(Local News)  Capt. H. H. Hickok.
     Captain H. H. Hickok, one of the oldest citizens of Terrell, died at his home in West Terrell Monday at 10 o’clock after only one day’s illness, aged about 65 years.
  Captain Hickok was a native of Pennsylvania.  He came to Texas in an early day and located in Terrell in 1875, when the town was first started.  During the first few years he lived here he engaged in the furniture business and later in the jewelry trade.  For many years he has not been actively engaged in business.  During the twenty-five years of his residence in Terrell he has amassed quite a fortune.  His principal holdings consist of bank stocks and lands.  He has been a stockholder and director of the Harris National bank of this city ever since its organization, March 30, 1895.  He has large holdings at Sabine Pass and owns a large tract of land in Clay county.  His estate is valued at about $200,000.
     Captain Hickok was a member of …ick Dowling’s little band of forty-five men who defeated 8000 soldiers and captured 800 men at the battle near Sabine pass during the civil war –Transcript, Terrel, Texas.
      Besides his wife, Mr. Hickok left the following relatives from the north:
     The relatives are:  W. L. Hickok, Leroy, and I. N. Hickok of Bath, brothers; and sister, Mrs. J. S. Manley, Minnequa; two nephews, R. E. Stiles, Elmira; Geo. Hickok, Troy; four nieces, Mrs. H. F. Weigand, Austin, Pa., Mrs. C. W. Dare, Troy; and Misses Clara and Gertrude Manley, Minnequa.

(Windfall News)  Mrs. D. T. Fitch died of pneumonia, Wednesday evening Jan. 14, at her home on Bunyon Hill, aged twenty-nine years.  She had been ill for some time but was thought to be gaining until Wednesday morning when she was suddenly taken worse.  The funeral was Saturday afternoon at the First Baptist church, Rev. M. E. Genge officiating.  She leaves a husband and a little boy to mourn her loss.

(Local News)  Mrs. Walter Stybor, formerly of Morris Run, has committed suicide at her home in Toledo, Ohio by taking poison.  She was afflicted with melancholia.

Mr. Edmond Barker.
     The death of Mr. Edmond Barker aged 77 years, father of Dr. P. N. Barker of this place, occurred last Friday at Warren asylum.  The funeral services were held at the home of his son, Mr. Herman E. Barker of Wellsboro and interment in the Wellsboro cemetary.  Dr. and Mrs. P. N. Barker attended funeral services which were held Monday afternoon.
     Mr. Barker was born in Massachusetts and was married to Miss Rhoda A. Lathrop of Vermont in 1854, who died in 1867 in Illinois.  He conducted a carpenter and cabinet-making business in Illinois and afterwards a furniture business.  Mr. Barker lived nine years with his son Hermon E., in Wellsboro and later spent several years with his son in Troy until he was taken to Warren Asylum.  He is survived by his two sons.

Twenty-second Year, #1044, January 29, 1903

 Luther VanHorn, of Granville Summit, who died last week, was the last of four brothers who moved to this county from Delaware county, N. Y., many years ago. –Canton Sentinel.

Death of Mrs. Daly.
     Mrs. Carrie Berry Daly, wife of Frank Daly of Leona, died of pleuro-pneumonia, Saturday, Jan. 24.  She was a daughter of Sherman Berry of Berrytown, and was born in April, 1844.  She married at the age of 23 and leaves her husband and three daughters.  She was an active member of the Leona M. E. church, a loving mother, and an effectionate wife.

(Alba News)  James Hackett’s bady died Thursday, January 22nd.

(Local News)  Charles T. DeWitt, an insurance solicitor, said to have been a former resident of Troy, committed suicide on Sunday night at Norwich, N. Y., by slashing his throat with a razor.  He had recently lived at Binghamton.

Mrs. Martin Hooley.
     Mrs. Martin Hooley, an aged and highly respected lady, died at her home in Troy, Monday, January 26th.  She had been an invalid for a number of years with bowel trouble, but the immediate cause of her death being the result of an apoplectic stroke.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. W. H. Connolly at St. John’s church Wednesday morning at 10 o’clock, interment in the Catholic cemetery
     Mrs. Hooley was born in County Cavan, Ireland, a daughter of Katharine and Stephen McCabe.  After the death of her parents she came to this country and directly to Troy in 1855.  In the following years she was united in marriage to Martin Hooley of this place, whose decease occurred on February 3rd, 1899.  The following children were born to them:  Stephen of Troy, Patrick of Coalport, PA., Martin of Bradford, Pa., Geo. Of Spring City, Pa., Katharine and Mary twins living at home, also the following deceased:  John Edward, Timothy, John, Edward.  She is also survived by a sister, Mrs. Geo. Hooley of Troy, and a brother, John McCabe, of Campbell, N. Y.

(Windfall News)  L. C. VanHorn an old and respected citizen died last week.  Funeral services were held on Thursday.  Rev. H. B. Allen officiated.

(Windfall News)  An infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Graham, which was born Jan. 18, died recently with pneumonia.

Twenty-second Year, #1045, Thursday, February 5, 1903

     Geo. DeVed, of Springfield, January 21st, of general debility, aged 87 years.
     Joseph A. Stanton of Troy twp., January 23rd, of bowel trouble, aged 52 years.
     Mrs. Lydia M. Allen, of Springfield, January 31st, aged 69 years.
     Dorothy, infant daughter of Solomon and Anna Ballard of Leona, February 2nd, aged eleven days.
     Mary, daughter of Ed Ruggles and wife of Sullivan, January 30th, aged four years.

Mrs. Carrie Daily.
     Mrs. Carrie Daily, wife of Frank Daily died at her home in Leona, Saturday, Jan. 24th of pleuro-pneumonia, aged 58 years.  She was born and reared at Berrytown, Pa.  Her father’s name was Sherman Berry.  Her mother’s name before marriage was Mary Ann Harkness.  Her brothers, James and Orton live in Jamestown, N. Y., two sisters, Martha Blackman and Delphine Johnson, live in Frewsburg, N. Y., another sister, Sarah Budd, lives in Columbia, Pa., and another sister, Maria, died early in life.  Mrs. Daily’s four children were daughters.  One died when a little girl of seven.  The others are May, wife of Sheridan Wheeler and Ethel, wife of Fred C. Mattocks, who both live in Athens, and Bertha is home with hier father.
     Mrs. Daily was well known and highly esteemed by a large circle of friends, and is deeply mourned by the members of her family.  She was a member of the Methodist church, and a very active member of the Ladies Aid Society, of which she has been repeatedly elected President.
     The funeral was Tuesday, Jan. 7th, at 2 p.m., at the late home of the deceased, and was largely attended by friends from far and near.  Among those from a distance were her daughters, May and Ethel, from Athens; her brother, Orton from Jamestown; Mrs. D. Barber from Elmira; Mrs. H. Whitney from VanEtten, Luther Fanning from Burlington.  Mrs. McClure and daughter from Wells, Pa.
     The funeral was in charge of undertaker Beaman of Troy; and the religious services were conducted by L. L. Wilcox, pastor of the Leona Methodist church.  The interment was in the Leona Cemetary.  The Ladies Aid Society was represented by a beautiful tribute of Carnations.
     Mr. Daily desires to express his grateful appreciation for the sympathy and kindness extended to his family during this time of sore affliction.

(Leona News)  The little daughter of Solomon Ballard and wife, born December 23rd, died Monday night after being sick since Saturday.

Choked in His Wrappings.
     Mrs. Perley Phelps, who carrying her infant son, Harry, in her arms, and accompanied by her husband and her mother, Mrs. Nobles, rode hopefully on Saturday the six miles to Wellsboro from her home on the Morris Howe farm, near Delmar postoffice, returned soon to her home a grief-stricken woman.
     She brought here her son, only seven weeks old, in order that the child might be operated upon by Dr. J. P. Longwell for a defect of his feet.  But when she had arrived here at about noon, and, seated in the ladies’ sitting room on the ground floor of the Wilcox Hotel, unwrapped the little one from the coverings with which she had protected him against the cold, she made the shocking discovery that he was dead.  A physician, on examining the child, said that he had choked to death, while Mrs. Phelps stated, amid her consternation and grief, that once during the drive she had examined the child very closely and all then seemed well with him. –Wellsboro Agitator.

Twenty-second Year,  #1046, Thursday, February 12, 1903

(Burlington News)  Mrs. Louise Palmer, wife of Rev. Burroughs, died suddenly at her home last Thursday morning after a sickness of only three days. Aged 67 years.
     An aged husband and adopted daughter, one sister and three brothers are left to mourn her loss.  She will be missed in their church, the Baptist, as she was a great church worker.  Her work was finished, the Lord called her home.  Rev. Tilden of Susquehanna county officiated assisted by Rev. Porter of Alba, interment at West Burlington.  The greatest sympathy is extended to the bereaved family.

     Died in Berrytown, Pa., February 5th, 1903, Lena Aurelia, infant daughter of A. C. Horning and wife, aged four months.
     Mrs. Lovisa E. Burroughs, wife of the pastor of the Methodist church at Burlington, died on Thursday morning of last week, after a short illness, aged 67 years.  Funeral services were held at 10 o’clock, Saturday morning.

Twenty-second Year, #1047, Thursday, February 19, 1903

(Leona News)  Mrs. George Owen, who formerly lived in this place, died at Milan, Wednesday morning, February 11.  The funeral was held Friday and was attended by A. W. Owen and family of this place.

(Alba News)  Fred Reynolds of Charleston, formerly of this place brought home his youngest babe for burial.  It was buried at Troy.

(Local News)  Oliver Andrews and wife of Fassett, recently buried their infant daughter, which died of catarrhal fever at the age of two months.

Thirteen-year-old Freddie Barto, son of John Barto, of Millerton, was literally cut to pieces by a circular saw in the Dykens’ mill at West Pike, Potter county, a few days ago.  The little fellow was visiting relatives at West Pike, and in company with a boy about his own age he visited the mill.  The boy jumped on the carriage that carries the logs back and forth and as it was passing the saw the boy fell upon the rapidly revolving cylinder, and before any one could reach him the saw had severed both his legs, right arm and portion of his left hand, and also cut a severe gash in his head.  When employes of the mill reached him he looked up at them in a most pitiable manner, a groan escaped his lips and he was dead.

Twenty-second Year, #1048, Thursday, February 26, 1903

Eliza A. Santee McClellan.
     Mrs. Hironemous McClellan died with pneumonia at the home of her son Fred D. McClellan, Thursday morning, Jane. 29, after a brief illness of three days.  Mr. McClellan has been in feeble health all winter and the shock to him is severe.
     Eliza A. Santee was born at Plymouth, Penn., and at the age of 23 years was wedded to H. McClellan, they coming to Michigan, and later to Manton, where they have resided for twenty years.  She was an estimable lady; has been a member of the M. E. church for thirty years and aged 78 years, 1 month and 19 days.  Their only child, Fred N. McClellan,, survives her.  Funeral services are to be held at the home of the son, one’half mile east of town, at 2:00 o’clock Saturday afternoon and a sermon by Rev. F. C. Wood, and interment made in Maple cemetary.  The son has the sympathy of many friends. –Manton, Michigan Tribune.
     Mrs. McClelland has been a former resident of Canton and later of Troy.

Mrs. Louisa P. Burroughs.
     Died at Burlington, on the night of February 4th, 1903.  Mrs. Louisa P. Burroughs, wife of Rev. Egleston Burrows, aged 67 years.
     Her husband bears testimony to her worth as follows:  Mrs. Burroughs was one of a family of fourteen children of Nathan Palmer, deceased.  Six brothers and one sister survive her.  (She was reared from infancy in Union, Tioga Co., PA.  She consecrated her life to Jesus at the age of 14 and was baptised into membership with the Christian order.  She became acquainted with her now bereaved husband in 1858, at the dedication of the Baptist church in Union.  They were married in 1859 by Rev. I. B. Reynolds.  She united with the Baptist church in Union in 1860.  In 1862 her husband enlisted for the war in Co. I, 144 N.Y.S.V., and when the Co. was ordered to the field of action she went with it.  She served her country by washing and cooking for the soldiers and caring for the sick until stricken with fever, from the effect of which she never fully recovered.  When able to endure the journey, and yet a mere skeleton, her husband brought her back to Canton for rest and recuperation, while he himself returned to the field of strife.
     In 1865 they gave themselves to the pastoral work, and never did a pastor have a more patient and faithful helpmate, and never did a church have a more peace-loving and home keeping member.
     Her last work and sacrifices were for the first Baptist church of Burlington.  She did her work and did it well and long will her funeral day be remembered at Burlington.  She had worked hard in securing the new home near the church, where she could, with her husband, spend their last days, and had only occupied it two months at the time of her death.
     Her funeral was preached at Burlington by Rev. W. C. Tilden of Susquehanna Co., the choice of years ago, assisted by Rev. W. H. Porter.  Text: That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection.  She was buried at West Franklin.

     John Edward, infant son of William Henry and Gertrude Frances Thompson of Troy, February 12th, of pneumonia.
     Mrs. Mary VanBuskirk of Granville, February 18th, of paralysis, aged 84 years.
     Andrew J. Maynard, of Burlington, February 24th, of heart disease aged 75 years.

(Austinville news)  C. B. Palmer and wife and Mrs. Irvin Buchanan attended the funeral of Mrs. Geo. Brace in Springfield on Wednesday.

(Coryland News)  Friends from this place attended the funeral of the late Daniel McClure of Roseville.

(Local News)  Mrs. Betsy Morley Lewis, a native of Spring Hill, this county, died at the home of the Friendless in Harrisburg last week, aged 102 years.

Twenty-second Year, #1049, Thursday, March 5, 1903

     Infant son of James Every and wife of Granville February 21st.
     Melinda Waterman of Burlington February 27th aged 61 years.

(Burlington News)  A. J. Maynard died at his home near Codding last Wednesday morning, after a long sickness of heart trouble, aged 75 years.  An aged wife and three children, Mrs. Norton, Miss Jessie and Sterling all survive him.  The funeral was held in the Union church last Friday afternoon at three o’clock.  Rev. H. B. Allen of East Canton officiated, supported by Rev. E. Burroughs, Undertaker Beaman had charge of the funeral.  Interment at Luthers Mills.

(Springfield News)  The community hereabouts joins the relatives in mourning the death of Mrs. Marie Allen, who was buried Tuesday, February 3rd.

Betsey A. Manley.
     Saturday’s Elmira Advertiser says:  Friday morning occurred the death of Mrs. Betsey Manley at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Marion M. Williams, No. 468 West Second street.  On the day that the remains of Rev. Thomas K. Beecher lay in state in Park church, Mrs. Manley then a hale and happy old lady of 78 years started on foot for Park church to take a last look at a man whom she had long loved and admired.  She fell on the sidewalk on Church street and broke her hip and was carried home to be a helpless invalid for the rest of her live.  During the years since that time she has been a great sufferer most of the time.  About five weeks ago she gave evidence of a final breakdown and since then it has been but the question of days or hours when she might be relieved of her suffering.  She passed quietly and peacefully away at ten-thirty o’clock.  Mrs. Manley was born May 17, 1822 in Canton, Pa., as Betsey Ann Elliott.  She was married at Canton September 2, 1839, to Charles G. Manley.  They lived in Alba for about forty years, during which time she was one of the most active members of the Baptist church.  She sang in the choir and was a leading spirit everwhere.  In 1879 they moved to Elmira and for some time lived in Tuttle avenue afterward moving to West First street, where she lived till the death of the husband in 1891, when she took up her residence with Mrs. Williams, her daughter, in Second street.  She was a member of the First Baptist church and a regular attendant so long as physically able.
     Mrs. Manley leaves two sons and a daughter, Dolson J. Manley of West Church street, Charles G. Manley of Philadelphia and Mrs. Marion Merritt Williams, besides a host of friends, who loved her dearly.  The funeral was held at the home of her grandaughter, Dr. Elizabeth M. Hooper, No. 497 West Second street on Sunday afternoon.  The interment was at Woodlawn.

Twenty-second Year, #10410 (As is), Thursday, March 12, 1903

Burlington Lady Dead.
     The community of Burlington mourns the death of one of its prominent ladies, Mrs. Lorenzo D. Hill, which occurred on Saturday at 12 o’clock from the effect of a stroke of paralysis, aged 62 years.  Decease is survived by her husband and one son, Dean.  Funeral services were held on Tuesday at 12 o’clock.

Mrs. Ethilinda M. Coe.
     Mrs. Ethlinda M. Coe died in South Creek, March 6th, 1903 aged 69 years and 15 days.  Mrs. Coe was the daughter of Daniel and Maria Boughton, and was born in Columbia township, Feb. 19th, 1834.  Her parents and family moved to South Creek when she was twelve years old where she resided most of the time after this until her decease.
     She was married by Rev. E. Lockwood, to Caleb E. Coe, Mar. 1st, 1853.  When sixteen years of age she became a member of the South Creek Baptist Church, retaining her membership until the time of her death.  Thus it will be seen that her married life covered a period of 50 years and her religious life full 53 years.
     Mrs. Coe was a woman of unblemished character, a true wife and affectionate mother and was held in high esteem by those who knew her long and well.  Her funeral was held on the 8th inst. At the Gillett Baptist church and she was buried in the old cemetery near by.  In harmony with her request, the services was led by Rev. T. Mitchell of Troy, assisted by Rev. P. Reynolds of Gillett.  A large concourse of people was present.  Her husband, five sons, eight grandchildren, four brothers and three sisters survive her.  The sons are Scott, Judd, Judson, Benjamin and Montgomery.  These with one brother bore her to her final resting place and laid her tenderly down by the side of other dear relatives who had been called to their eternal home.

(Local News)  Lafayette Gray, one of the old and respected residents of Sullivan and an officer of the Old Folks’ Association of Tioga county, died at his home Wednesday last week.

(Springfield News)  The death of Mrs. Ida Brace, which occurred a short time ago, deserves more than a mere passing notice.  All who knew her were impressed by her serious devotion to the duties of life.  A member of the W. C. T. U., her death means a loss to all.  Many are the words of sympathy expressed of the bereaved family, especially of the young daughter, on whom the burdens of the household duties now fall.

(Springfield News)  Ellen Burgess, a well known resident of this place, died Saturday, March 7th and was buried Monday, March 9th.

(Springfield News)  The funeral of Mrs. Melinda Waterman took place from the home of her sister, Mrs. John Brenchley, March 2nd.

(Leona News)  Ellen Burgess died March 7th.  The funeral was at her late residence, near Springfield, March 9th, Rev. L. L. Wilcox conducting the religious services.  The singing was by the Leona choir and finely rendered.  Ellen was the daughter of Charles and Ann Burgess.  Her father was born in Vermont, June 9th, 1972 and died Jan. 24th, 1873.  Her mother Anna Parmenter, was born in R. I., Dec. 10, 1791.  They were married Jan. 1st, 1812.  They moved to Springfield about 1817.  Their children were seven girls and five boys.  Ellen was the youngest, 68, last October.

John Wynne Dead.
     Many friends here were sorrowed to learn of the death of John Wynne, a former resident of Troy, at his home in Rochester, which occurred early yesterday morning after a few hours’ illness with heart disease.  John was possessed of a kindly and generous nature having many friends here, where he was employed for a long term of years at Oliver’s Mills.  He was a first class workman, and had employment in a large moulding factory at Rochester, where he removed from Troy.
     The remains will be brought to Troy, funeral services to be conducted at St. John’s church Friday morning at 11 o’clock by Father Connolly.  Burial will be made here.

     Infant child of Leon Card and wife of Sullivan, Friday, March 6.
     Mrs. Ellen Burgess of Springfield, March 7, of general debility.
    Glenn, infant, son of Arthur H. Ross of Burlington, aged eleven months.
     Ashton Morse of Leroy, Saturday, March 7th.

The Payne Murder.  Suspicion Still Rests on the Tramp.  Reward of $1,000 Offered-Mrs. Payne’s Funeral—How the Crime was Probably Committed.  (Wellsboro Agitator, Mar. 4.
     The murder of Mrs. George W. Payne is still at large, and beyond the knowledge that he visited a clothing store at Binghamton, N. Y., purchased a new suit and left his old clothes in an ash-barrel, no trace of him has been discovered.  It is still the general belief that the tramp who passed as Edward Myers was the person who perpetrated the fiendish crime.  Reward of $1,000 is offered for the capture and conviction of the murderer, and of this amount the County Commissioners agree to pay $700, John L. Cunningham, brother of the victim, $200, and George W. Payne, her husband, $100.  Officers all over the country are on the alert, but up to this time no further clue has been found.  With great cunning the murderer has been able to cover his trail and it may be that he will be able to get out of the country; but, it often happens, the identity of the guilty person may be revealed from the most unexpected quarter and by the merest accident.
     The funeral of Mrs. Payne on Thursday afternoon was attended by 1,200 to 1,500 people, and the Alder Run church was much to small to accommodate the congregation.  There was a short service at the Payne home conducted by Rev. Paul Smith.  The long procession then followed the remains to the Methodist church at Alder Run, where Mrs. Payne had been an earnest worker for many years.  There the service was conducted by Rev. Charles L. Shergur, former pastor.  The service was very impressing and affecting.  At the close the people were permitted to view the remains of the murdered woman and it required nearly an hour for them to pass the open casket.  The burial was made in the Alder Run cemetary.  The members of the G. A. R. and Odd Fellows’ Lodge turned out with full ranks and the members of Mitchell’s mills Grange of which Mrs. Payne was a member, conducted services in the cemetary.  The flora offerings were very beautiful.  (There is two more columns describing what the suspected person did and where he went).

John Vroman.
     John Vroman died about 9 o’clock on Wednesday morning last week of pneumonia after a week’s illness.  Mr. Vroman was born in Burlington township December 20, 1822, and was therefore in his 81st year, though he appeared to be much younger man.  He was married September 18, 1845 to Miss Polly A. Miles, and six children were the result of this union.  Two Miles V. and Amanda O., died and the four others, with the widow still survive.  They are Mrs. Alice Bunyan, Pamelia A. (Mrs. Daniel Innes), Ritner P. and Emeretta M. (Mrs. Theodore Manley).  Mr. Vroman was one of a family of twelve of whom eleven grew to adult age.  For the past eighteen years he had resided in Canton, moving here from Granville, and served for a time as street commissioner, giving careful attention to his duties.  He purchased the old skating rink and remodeled it into a comfortable opera house.  He was a man of strictest integrity and was known and esteemed by a large circle of friends in the country where his fourscore years were spent.  He was a hard-working man, successful in his business undertakings. –Canton Sentinel.
     Funeral services were held from his late residence on Saturday at 12 o’clock, noon.  Interment at Granville Centre.

Twenty-second Year, #10411, Thursday, March 19, 1903

Rev. U. S. Hall.
     Rev. U. S. Hall, pastor of the M. E. church at Millerton, Pa., died yesterday morning after an hour’s sickness.  Funeral Friday morning at 10:30, Rev. R. A. Munger of Elmira will officiate and several of the city clergymen will attend.  Rev. Hall leaves a wife and several grown-up children.  The interment will be at Horsehead.
     Mr. Hall was former pastor of the Leona and Wetona churches.

Death of Kileon Packard.
     Kileon Packard who died on Saturday night of kidney trouble at his home near Alba, was born in Canton township, October 7, 1826, and was the son of Silas and Sally Ayres Packard, natives of Pelham, Mass., and Lackawanna county, N. Y., respectively.  Mr. Packard received a common school education.  He was one of the most successful farmers in the country, amassing a comfortable fortune.  He was married in Burlington in 1855 to Matilda, daughter of Dr. Henry Riley.  Two children were born to them, Arvilla (Mrs. C. L. Chesley) and Laura, both of whom, with the wife, are dead.
     Mr.  Packard purchased the Central Hotel in this place a number of years ago, and remained in the Packard House.  He had completed arrangements for replacing it with a modern brick structure this spring, and his death will not interfere with the carrying out of his plans.  He was also for many years a director of the First National Bank of this place.
     The funeral will be held this morning. –Canton Sentinel, March 17.

(Local News)  On Sunday, March 15th, occurred the death of the venerable David G. Fanning of Wetona, aged 92 years, one of Bradford County’s most highly respected citizens, and one of the pioneer settlers of Springfield township.  Funeral services were held at his late home yesterday at noon, conducted by Rev. L. L. Wilcox of the Wetona and Leona churches, assisted by Rev. Dr. Rosengrant of Towanda, a large number of relatives and friends attending.  Burial at Wetona.
     An extended notice will be given in our next issue.

Mrs. Bettie M. Besley.
     Mrs. Hettie M. Besley died at the home of her son, G. C. Besley in Troy, on Friday evening of last week, after an extended illness.  She had been an invalid for the past five years, and a great sufferer during the last seven weeks from the effests of a fall.
     Mrs. Besley was born in Beamerville, New Jersey, on April 29, 1827, a daughter of Obediah and Elizabeth Swayze.  In early childhood she moved with her mother to Coryland, this county, her father having died a short time previous.  She was married to John Besley of Columbia on December 29, 1847, whose decease occurred November 21, 1856.  To them were born three children:  Oliver, of Columbia, John W. of Coryland, and G. C. of Troy.  Since the death of her husband she has resided with her son, at whose home occurred her death.
     Mrs. Besley has been a devoted member of the Presbyterian church since the age of sixteen, and an active worker in religious affairs.  Always evidencing a most kindly and generous character, the influence of her exemplary live has been for great good.
     Funeral services were held on Monday with a short prayer service at her late home at 11 o’clock a.m., and further service at the church at Columbia X. Roads at 1 o’clock, p.m., conducted by Rev. A. G. Cameron of Sylvania, and assisted by Rev. E. P. Morse.  The sermon was delivered from the text, which was of her choosing, the same as that of her mother also: 2nd Cor., 4-17; “For our light affliction, which is bout for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal way to glory.” Burial at the Besley cemetery in Columbia.

 Mrs. J. J. VanKirk of Seeley Creek, March 18
 Almyron Hickok, of Fassett, March 15.
 David G. Fanning of Wetona, Sunday March 15, aged 92 years.
 Mrs. Albert Lee of Sylvania, March 14th.

Mrs. Chas. F. Kendall.
 The Wellsville, N. Y., Reporter gives the following account of the death of Mrs. Chas. F. Kendall, who is survived by numerous relatives in Troy and vicinity:
 The town was startled Thursday by the announcement of the sudden death of Mrs. Chas. F. Kendall, which occurred at her home 23 Scott Avenue at 7 o’clock a. m.  Mrs. Kendall had been ill but a few days with the prevailing epidemic grip, but which brought on other complications resulting in her untimely death.
 Mrs. Kendall, whose maiden name was Henrietta Furman, was 53 years of age and was born in Troy, Pa., coming to Wellsville with her mother in the early 60’s and was married to Chas. F. Kendall in 1874, who survives her, together with one daughter, Sallie C. Kendall, fifteen years of age, and one brother, Mr. Frank Furman, formerly of this place, but now of Springville, N. Y.  Deceased has also living three half-brothers and sister, James Furman of Michigan, Finley Furman of Troy, PA., and Julia Furman of Sylvania, PA.
 Mrs. Kendall was a devout member of St. John’s church and an active worker in all church matters.  She was also an active member of the Burton Chapter, Order of Eastern Stars, and held the office of Associate Matron in that Chapter.  Her loss will be keenly felt, not only by her associates in the church and societies, but also by her many friends in this city, and the bereaved husband and daughter have the sympathy of all in their affliction.
     The funeral will be held at St. John’s church on Saturday afternoon at 3 o’clock, the Rev. F. W. Beecher officiating.

(Burlington News)  This community was sadden Saturday morning by the death of Mrs. Emma Kingsley, wife of Lorenzo Hill, who died at her home of apoplexy, aged 67 years.  She was a devoted wife, a loving mother, an earnest Christian, a true friend and neighbor.  Besides a sorrowing husband, one son Dean, on sister, Mrs. Gates of Ulster, are left to mourn her demise.  The funeral was held in the M. E. church at 12 o’clock on Tuesday, interment in Oak Grove cemetery.

(Burlington News)  Glen one of the eleven months old babies of Arthur Ross and wife died on Sunday of pneumonia.  He was a bright little fellow and will be missed in the family, where he and his twin sister were great pets.  The funeral was held in the Union church at 2 p.m. on Tuesday.  Interment in Oak Grove cemetery.

Coryland News)  Charles Beardsley, Jr. died suddenly Saturday morning after an illness of 48 hours with plural pneumonia.  He was 27 years of age and was the youngest son of Charles Bearsley and wife.  The funeral services were held at the M. E. church at Roseville, Tuesday afternoon.

Coryland News)  Friends of this place received the sad news of the death of Alden Swayze, Sr., at his home in Canton.  Mr. Swayze was almost a life resident of this place until a few years ago when he sold his farm and moved with his son, A. Swayze, Jr., to Col. X Roads, later he moved to Canton.  The deceased is about 75 years old and is survived by his esteemed wife, three sons and one daughter.  The funeral will he held at Col. X Roads Wednesday afternoon.

Twenty-second Yard, #10412, Thursday, March 26, 1903

Frank Loomis Dead.
Editor and Proprietor of the “Register” Died Tuesday Morning of Heart Disease.
Death came after a short illness and wholly unexpected.  A Review of his life of unceasing Toil.
 With this week’s issue of the Register, we make the painful announcement of the death of its founder, editor and proprietor, Frank Loomis, our beloved father.
 The blow falls with crushing force, but we bow to the Divine decree and say, “Thy will not ours be done.”  With his life and the result of his years of unceasing toil our readers are all acquainted.  Every possible effort will be made by us to carry out his plans, retain the good will of his many friends and push vigorously the work and enterprise to which he untiringly devoted the best years of his life.
 The following are some appreciated remarks by our exchanges:

(Williamsport Grit)  Frank Loomis, editor and proprietor of the Troy Register, died at 5:30 on Tuesday morning at his home, corner Canton and Railroad streets.  Death was due to heart disease, after an illness of two days.  The funeral services were conducted at the family home at 1:30 o’clock Thursday afternoon, and were in charge of Trojan lodge No. 306, F. & A. M., of which organization he was a member.  The Rev. Geo. E. Hutchings, pastor of the Mansfield M. E. church, assisted by the Rev. E. A. Hall, pastor of the Troy M. E. church, and Rev. E. P. Morse of the Presbyterian church officiated.  Interment was in Oak Grove cemetery.
 Mr. Loomis was born in Troy township on May 5, 1856, and was the eldest child and only son of the late Edwin E. and Louisa Loomis.  For many years his father was a prominent merchant of West Burlington and Troy, and was a descendant of one of the early settlers of Troy township.  His grandfather, Ely Loomis, originally came here from Connecticut.  His mother was a daughter of Ira P. Ballard, also one of the early settlers of Troy township.  His boyhood was spent in West Burlington, where he attended the district school.  After the family removed to Troy he attended the graded  school several terms, and afterwards engaged as a salesman in his father’s dry goods store.  Later he was for two years a partner of E. L. Bailey and A. C. Fanning in the dry goods business.  From boyhood he had been a Trojan.  Early in life he wearied of mercantile pursuits and turned his attention to the printing business, towards which he always naturally inclined.  He was his own tutor, but studied and gained all possible knowledge from observation, and the results of his efforts show of what timber he was made.  In 1880 he opened a small job printing office.  The following year he printed the first number of the Troy Register.  It was a four-page, three column sheet, 9 by 12 inches in size.  From it grew the eight-page Register and well-equipped printing plant of today.  Mr. Loomis, although of a retiring disposition, was personally a pleasant, sociable gentleman, who easily made friends and retained them.  In 1878 he was married to Miss Marie Andrews, daughter of the Rev. William W. Andrews of Waverly, N. Y., who with two sons, Edwin F. and Ralph A., Survive.  He also leaves two sisters, Mrs. Jennie Fanning, wife of Judge A. C. Fanning of Towanda, and Miss Edith Loomis of Troy.

(Troy Gazette)  The news on Tuesday morning that Mr. Frank Loomis, editor and proprietor of the Troy Register, had died at 5:30 o’clock that morning at his home, corner of Railroad and Canton streets, came as a shock to the people of Troy, few of whom knew that he was ill.  Death was due to heart diseas, after an illness of two days.
 The life history of Frank Loomis is a demonstration of what indomitable will, pluck, hard work and close application to business will accomplish.  Confronted by obstacles which would have dishartened many men, from a very meager beginning he builded a thriving business.
 Possessing a natural inclination toward the printing business, in 1880 he opened a small job printing office.  The following year he printed the first number of the Troy Register.  It was a four-page, three-column sheet, ten by twelve inches in size.  It was a harbinger of bigger and better things.  From it grew the eight-page Register and well-equipped printing house of today.
  God’s finger touched him and he slept.  While in the prime of life, useful as a business man and a citizen, and a great help in shaping the life work of his growing sons.  Frank Loomis, editor and proprietor of the Troy Register, answered the final summons that shall come to us all.  His passing was sudden-so unexpected that news of it fell like a pall upon the community in which he spent so many years of a useful and busy life.  From boyhood he had been a Trojan.  Early in life he wearied of mercantile pursuits and turned his attention and energy to the printing business, toward which he always naturally inclined.  He was his own tutor, but unceasingly studied and gained all possible knowledge from observation-the teacher that has given so many persons the finish to their education.  The results of his efforts show of what timber the man was made.  To the rising generation they show what pluck, perseverence and push will do.
 Of obstacles he made stepping stones, and from the small beginning of comparatively few years ago has grown an establishment and prosperous business.
 Although of a retiring disposition, Mr. Loomis was personally a pleasant, sociable gentleman, who easily made friends and retained them.  He is sincerely mourned.  May he rest in peace.

(Elmira Advetiser)  Residents of Troy, Pa., were given cause for sincere mourning yesterday when it was learned that Frank Loomis, editor and proprietor of the Troy Register had died suddenly at his home on Canton street as a result of an attack of heart disease.  The funeral will be held at 2 o’clock Thursday afternoon at the home and will be in charge of Trojan lodge, No. 306, F. & M. A., of which the deceased was a member.
 The rest is a repeat of the Williamsport Grit and Troy Gazette.
 There were also notices given from the Towanda Reporter-Journal, Bradford Star, Canton Sentinel and Sullivan Review.

(Local News)  David, the father of George Rouse of Roseville, recently died at his home near Ansonia, aged ninety years.

Death of Col. M’Kean.  Gallant Soldier of Bradford County Answered the Last Call.
 Colonel Henry B. McKean, formerly of Towanda, died on Saturday evening at his home in Washington, after an illness of several weeks.  Funeral services will be held in Washington and interment made in Arlington, the national military cemetary.
 Colonel McKean was one of Bradford county’s most distinguished men, a brilliant lawyer, a brave soldier, a firm friend –a gentleman.  He was born in Columbia township, this county on Sept. 13, 1831, the son of Benjamin and Elizabeth Mathewson McKean.  His ancestors were pioneers of Burlington and Athens townships, his maternal great grand father being a revolutionary soldier whose discharge bore the certificate of George Washington of six and a half years of service.
 Colonel McKean was educated at the Troy and Athens academies, after which he studied law in Towanda with those veteran lawyers, John C. Adams and William Elwell, and was admitted to the bar in 1855.  He practiced his profession until the breaking out of the Civil War and was postmaster at Towanda during Buchannan’s administration.  He was one of the charter member of Lin-ta Hose company on its organization in 1857, and took an active interest in local affairs.
 April 21, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Sixth Pennsylvania Reserves, and the next day was elected and commissioned as second lieutenant of his company; on the organization of his regiment, June 22, 1861, he was appointed adjutant, and on April 1, 1862, was commissioned lieutenant-colonel of the regiment.
 He participated in the battles of Dranesville, the Peniusular campaign, second Bull Run, South Mountain and Antietam, but on account of disability was compelled to resign and was discharged by surgeon’s certificate on Nov. 24, 1862.
 At Lee’s invasion of Pennsylvania in 1863, he again offered his service to the government and was commissioned colonel of the Thirty-Fith Pennsylvania militia.
 At the close of the war he resumed his law practice in Towanda, remaining here until 1875, when he entered the employ of the Lehigh Valley railroad company at Sayre, as attorney and agent, a position he held untill 1880 when he again returned to Towanda and the law.  In 1887 he was appointed to a position in the pennsion department at Washington.  In 1888 he was transferred to the White House as master of ceremonies, a position he filled with dignity and success until March, 1890, when he was transferred to the pension bureau.  Here he remained until his death.
 Colonel McKean was twice married, his first wife being Mary E. Cox, of Bethlehem, of which union one son, John C. McKean of Bethlehem, survives.  The wife of his second marriage died in Washington about two weeks ago.
 He was a member of the Episcopal communion, a past officer in the Masonic bodies of Towanda, past commander of Watkins Post, G. A. R., member of the Loyal Legion and the Sons of the American Revolution.  For one term he was honored as commander of the Knights Templar of Pennsylvania. –Towanda Review.

David G. Fanning.  A Pioneer Settler of Springfield Township Passes Away at Age of 92 Years.  Incidents in the Life and History of one of Bradford County’s Well Known and Highly Honored Citizens.
 David Grace Fanning was born at Springfield, Mass., February 15, 1811, and died at Wetona, Pa. March 15, 1903, aged ninety two years and one month.  His ancestors who were of Irish descent, came to this country in 1653 and were prominently identified with the formative period of our history.  One, Edmund Fanning was a navigator and explore, making numerous voyages to different parts of the world and named several islands of the Pacific, south of the Hawaiian group, among them Fanning’s Island.  His grandfather, Elisha Fanning, Sr., and his maternal grandfather, Joseph Grace, Sr., and two brothers, were all revolutionary soldiers, and participated in the battle of Bunker Hill, the first named dying from the effects of wounds received in the service.  His maternal grandmother, Maria Sargeant Grace, who witnessed the battle of Bunker Hill, was one of the first on the field to care for the wounded.
 The subject of this sketch when one year of age, removed with his parents and others from Springfield, Mass., to Springfield, PA., (the Journey being made with ox teams) and located on the farm now owned by James W. Kennedy where his father lived for eleven years, and then moved to that part of Leonard Hollow where H. H. Griffith at present resides.  At the age of three years he was bereft by death of a mother’s care, and during his childhood days his lot, in the then almost unbroken wilderness, was one filled with indescribable hardships and privations.
 The morning of the day he was twenty one years of age, almost penniless having only his axe, a yoke of oxen and a cow, he came into the wilderness, made a small clearing, and shortly after erected a log house on the site of the present homestead where he continued to reside until his death, a period of seventy one years.  By incessant toil and unbroken forest was transferred into the well-tilled productive fields that comprise the present homestead farm.  His was a life of hardship, privation and unceasing toil.  Owing to a failure of title he was compelled to pay for a portion of his lands twice.
 He was a man of untiring energy, the possessor of a strong constitution and indomitable will, never yielding to discouragement.  Old age did not quench his ambition to be active, and he was always doing work of some kind about the farm until a few months prior to his death.
 On March 14, 1833 he was married to Antis B. Canedy, daughter of Alexander and Catherine Brown Canedy.  To them were born six children, Betsey who died at the age of three years, Mrs. N. W. Smith of Wellsburg, N. Y., Mrs. J. C. Leonard of Chambers, Neb., Ira S. Fanning, Melvin D. Fanning of Wetona, Pa., and A. C. Fanning of Towanda, Pa.  His wife, who had faithfully shared with him the privations of pioneer life, died Sept. 11, 1870.
 He was an active and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church for seventy six years, having united with that organization at Leona, Pa., when sixteen years of age.  In 1841 a class of eleven members formed at Pleasant Valley, now Wetona, following a sweeping revival at Leona conducted by Ira Smith, Father Mansfield and Elder Pearsall.  David Fanning was made class leader, which position he filled with great effectiveness for fifty-seven years.  With his death the last survivor of that class has passed away.  He was intensely interested in the building of the Methodist church at Wetona in 1857, giving the enterprise great financial aid; he was elected one of the trustees of the church when it was built and held that office until his death.
 He was fearless in the discharge of duty, an uncompromising enemy of evil, a great worker in the church, earnest, enthusiastic and effective; his influence being felt not only in his own neighborhood, but at camp-meetings, quarterly-meetings and religious gatherings in other and distant communities, and his counsel in church matters was frequently sought.
 In politics he was a Whig, and later upon its organization identified himself with the Republican party of which he was always an ardent supporter, being particularly active in war-times.
 In his last illness he was, as always, considerate of others, his mind strong and vigorous and mental faculties unimpaired to the last moment.  He died in the triumphs of a living faith, and frequently expressed his unfaltering trust in God.  In his last hours he referred to the hosts of co-workers who had preceded him to the other side, sent messages of encouragement to friends and often spoke of the church whose welfare had always been the burden of his prayer.
 A. C. Fanning, of Towanda, Pa., spent the last week at his father’s bed-side and all of the children except Mrs. Leonard of Nebraska were also with him to the end with loving hearts and willing hands ministering to his comfort.  His sons Melvin D. Fanning has always resided at the homestead and with tender solictitude cared for the aged father and with his wife comforted and cheered him in his declining years.
  At the conclusion of the services March 18th conducted by Rev. L. L. Wilcox pastor in charge assisted by Rev. Dr. E. J. Rosengrant of Towanda his sons and grand-sons tenderly bore him from the old home and to his last resting place.
 David Fanning, who for nearly a century walked the hills and valleys of Springfield, and was known in every home has gone to his reward but his influence in the community and in hearts and lives will live on and be felt through un-numbered years and many on the last day will rise and call him blessed.

(Springfield News)  Joseph Boughton died March 20th. And was buried March 22nd. From the Berrytown Methodist church.  Mr. Boughton was a veteran of the Civil War and leaves an exceptional good record as a soldier.

(Local News)  Relatives and many friends will be grieved to learn of the death this week of A. G. Baxter, of East Troy, which occurred in Florida, where he has been spending the past few months for the benefit of his health.

(Local News)  Mrs. James Hackett, a colored woman living near Alba, died suddenly last Friday night.  She had been in poor health for several weeks.  Her child died about four weeks ago.  The funeral was held in the Baptist church at Alba Monday afternoon, Rev. W. H. Porter officiating.

(Wells News)  Charles Beardslee, Jr. died of pneumonia at his home near Coryland on March 14, aged 24 years.  He was ill only a few days and is survived by his parents, Charles Beardslee and wife  one brother and two sister.  The funeral was held on Monday and the interment was made at Roseville.

(Wells News)  A. Hickok, died on March 15 at his home near Fassett, aged about 80 years.  He had been unwell for a long time and his death was due to a general breaking down of the system incident to old age.  The deceased is survived by a wife and two sons, Thaddius and Nickodemus Hickok with whom he lived.  The funeral services were conducted Tuesday in the church at Fassett and the burial was at Gillett.

Twenty-second Year, #10413, Thursday, April 2, 1903

A Gideon Baxter of East Troy, died at Palm Beach, Florida, on Thursday of last week.  Mr. Baxter had been in a failing condition of a number of years past, and had been spending the winter in the southern tropics in company with his wife, in the hope of regaining his health.  His son George was called to his bedside the Saturday preceeding his death, arriving on Monday.
 The remains were brough to his late home on Sunday.  Funeral service was held at his late home on Tuesday, at 1 o’clock conducted by Revs. Loller and Hymer, and was largely attended.
 A more extended notice will be given in our next issue.

 Andrus Dubert of Big Pond, March 19th, of grippe.
 Joseph Boughton of Springfield, March 20th.
 Marcus Williams of Dunning, March 23rd, of pneumonia.
 Horace Berry of Austinville, April 1st, of neuralgia of the heart.
 Mrs. Eva Case of Granville, March 20th.

Twenty-second Year, #10414, Thursday, April 9, 1903

A. Gideon Baxter.
 The many friends of Mr. A. Gideon Baxter of East Troy, were sorrowed to learn of his death at West Palm Beach, Florida, on Thursday, March 26.  Mr. Baxter had been in failing health since the year 1896, during which time he had retired from active business.  He sought relief, and went to a hospital in Philadelphia for treatment, in the spring of 1897.  Early in January in 1900, he went south and remained seven weeks, returned in March, afterwards suffering the effects of a severe cold.  He returned for hospital treatment during the summer and fall of 1901, where he remained a number of weeks, also passed some time there in the fall of last year.  During this time his condition was a very serious one, and it was not expected that he would be able to leave his room again.  Under the careful medical aid of his friend and physician, Dr. T. A. Gamble of East Troy, he was able to be out to walk or ride.  With this encouraging improvement late in the fall of 1902, Mr. Baxter with his wife, went to Florida for further benefit.  After having been away from home about three weeks, the water or climate did not seem to agree with him, and he was taken sick at St. Augustine.  At West Palm Beach he seemed to gain, and from there went farther south, when it did not seem to benefit him, returning to West Palm Beach on February 10th.  He was taken to his bed on February 22nd, and failed so rapidly that word was sent on March 2nd to his son George at East Troy to come there, who arrived at his father’s bedside on the evening of March 23rd.  Mr. Baxter died on the evening of March 26th, and was conscious until a short time preceding his death, passing away in a peaceful death slumber.
 The bereaved wife and son left West Palm Beach with the remains on Friday morning following, where the body was escorted to the train by members of the West Palm Beach I.O.O.F., of which order Mr. Baxter was a member.  The arrival in Troy was made on Sunday morning, and the further journey was made to his late home at East Troy.
 Funeral services were held at the home on Tuesday, March 31st, at 1 o’clock p.m., conducted by Rev. Loller of East Troy, who preached from the text, 1st Cor., 15-54.  He was assisted in prayer service by Rev. M. Kymer, a former pastor.  The remains were laid to rest in Glenwood cemetery by pall bears of his own choice, B. F. Shattuck, Jno. Ruggles, J. A. Ball, Geo. Cole and M. E. Greenough of East Troy, the I.O.O.F., of East Troy attending in body.
 Mr. Baxter was born on Pisgah, October 6, 1845, at the old homestead now owned by his brother, Ezra of Troy, and was raised in Troy township.  On April 17, 1867, he was united in marriage to Emily A. Budd of Newark, N. Y.  To them were born seven children, Mrs. H. S. Fudge of Pisgah, Geo. W. and Seth  R. and E. Irene of East Troy, Otis G. of Osceola, Frank of Ithaca, and Edward B. of Newark, Va., who with his wife, and one brother, Ezra of Troy survive, mourning the loss of husband and brother.
 At the age of sixteen years he was converted and joined the Methodist church, and was ever an active and energetic worker in religious affairs, fearless in the discharge of duty, and an uncompromising enemy of evil, his influence being felt not only in his own neighborhood but at other religious gatherings and distant communities.  In 1887 he built the Baxter store at East Troy, which was arranged also to furnish a place of meeting for the I.O.O.F. of that place.  He had joined the Lodge at Springfield, and when the Order was started at East Troy, he became a charter member, remaining as such for a period of thirty years.  In 1888 he moved to East Troy, and occupied his store for ten years to the time of his illness in 1898.
 Mr. Baxter most ably filled the position as Sunday School superintendent at East Troy for a number of years.  He was a member of the famous “praying band” of ten members which was organized in Troy township on August 31, 1874.  Stated meetings of this body were held on every month, and at one of the first meetings he was elected secretary, and was the last member of the body to keep up the work.  Beside his business duties at East Troy, Mr. Baxter was an extensive stock buyer, traveling through large districts of New York and Pennsylvania with large droves of cattle.
 Our friend, the deceased, was a man of stirling character, his was an influence that benefitted at all times where his friendship was known.  He was a person of much intelligence, and untiring energy, the possessor of a strong constitution and will, yielding not to discouragement, and very ambitious in the affairs with which he dealt.  Of a genial and kindly nature and disposition, the loss of such a citizen is a serious blow to his community and country.

Mrs. Electa McKean.
 The death of Mrs. Electa McKean, one of Troy’s oldest residents, occurred on Friday of last week, at the ripe old age of 91 years.  She had been an invalid for a few years past, and confined to her home from the natural prostrations of old age.  Since December of its past year, during which time her son, Mr. H. S. McKean and wife had been in Florida for the benefit of his health, Mrs. McKean had been at the home of Miss Katherine Wolfe nearby, where she was most tenderly cared for.  Her death came rather suddenly, and the sad news was immediately dispatched to her son, who was unable to come on account of ill health, Mrs. McKean arrived here on Tuesday.
 Funeral service were held from her late home yesterday afternoon at 2 o’clock, conducted by Rev. Herbert H. Graves, pastor of the Universalist church at Towanda, assisted by Rev. E. P. Morse, of the Troy Presbyterian church.  Burial in the family Plot at Oak Hill cemetery.
 Deceased was born on May, 22, 1811, a daughter of William and Polly Moore of Springfield township, this county.  On May 11, 1832, she was united in marriage to John McKean, one of the old settlers of Burlington township.  Since the death of her husband on March 8, 1877, she has resided with her only child, Herrick S. McKean of Troy, and during her entire life had lived within Bradford county, with the exception of a few years’ residence in Illinois.
 She is survived, beside her son, by one half-sister, Mrs. Martha Bullock of Columbia township, and three half brothers, Dighton, William and Stephen Brace of Springfield.
 In the late home of Mrs. McKean are to be found many evidences of her industry and handiwork, which strong trait of her character remained with her during the last years of her life.  She was a most excellent and beloved woman, and her brilliancy and activity of mind which marked her life throughout, and accomplished much good, is left as a pleasant memory to those who mourn.

Miss Katherine Elizabeth Hooley.
   Closely following the death of mother, was the decease of Miss Katherine Elizabeth Hooley of Troy on April 4th.  For some time past she had been a sufferer with asthma, seriously affecting her lungs, which resulted in consumption, and for over a year past she had been confined to her home.
 Her death which occurred about 3 o’clock Saturday morning, was entirely unexpected and immediately resulted from a sudden turn of the disease during the night, coming as a severe shock to her many friends.
 Deceased was born in Troy Dec. 26, 1869, a daughter of Martin and Katherine Hooley.  She was a twin sister of Miss Mary Teresa Hooley, who survives.  Her early schooling was attained at the Troy High School  Some time afterwards she secured an excellent position at the Troy House, where she was employed about ten years previous to her last illness.
 Those left to mourn of her immediate family are her twin sister, Miss Mary Teresa and Stephen of Troy, Patrick of Coalport, Pa., Geo. H. of Spring City, Pa., and Martin of Washington state.
 Funeral services were held at St. John’s church on Monday at 10 o’clock a.m., Father Connolly officiating.  Jno. J. and M. J. Handran acted as flower carriers, and the pall bearers were the following cousins of deceased:  Samuel Patterson and Frank McCabe of Campbell, N. Y., Edward J. Hooley of Schenectady, N. Y., Richard Hooley of Danville, Pa., Michael McCarty of Ridgebury, Pa., and Patrick Hooley of Troy.
 The following out-of-town relatives of deceased, with those above named, were present at the funeral services: John McCabe and daughter Elizabeth, Miss Margaret Patterson, Mrs. Frank McCabe, and John Ford and wife of Campbell, N. Y., Jno. J. Hooley of Williamsport, John McCarty of Ridgebury, and Mrs. George Sargent, Mrs. Thomas Costello and Mrs. James Curry of Elmira.

Twenty-second Year, #10415, Thursday, April 16, 1903

Mrs. Sophia A. Nelson.
 Mrs. Sophia A. Nelson, for fourteen years a resident of Sylvania, died on Wednesday morning, April 15th, aged 80, after an illness of nearly two weeks duration.  She was tenderly nursed by her daughter, Mrs. A. A. Garman of Philadelphia, who with loving hands ministered to her in her sickness.
 Deceased up to these last weeks of sickness was a vigorous woman for her years.  With a clever mind and unimpaired faculties she was able to attend to business as well as many much younger than she.  She was a woman of a tender heart and of a kindly spirit, but it sometimes took a stranger a little while to find out all her goodness of heart.  She was a good business woman, and the soul of honor herself, she expected all with whom she had dealings to be strictly honorable and to live up to the letter of their agreements with her.  She was an obliging, tender, thoughtful neighbor and a firm friend.
 A member of the Baptist church, she attended the Disciple church in this place and gave liberally of her means for its support.  Although none of her kindred dwell among us to mourn her loss she will be greatly missed in the church and the community by a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.
 The funeral services were held at the house at 2 p.m., on Friday and were conducted by her pastor, Rev. L. D. Vosburgh, assisted by Rev. A. G. Cameron, her near neighbor during the years of her residence in Sylvania.  A duet was sung by Mrs. Maud Slingerland and Mrs. David Yorke and a solo by Mrs. Maud Slingerland.  The interment took place in the Sylvania cemetery.

(Burlington News)  Died at his home on Towanda street, Joseph Morley, after a severe sickness of two months, aged 57 years.  A wife and several children and three sisters are left.  He was a war veteran.  Another soldier has answered the last roll call.  Funeral in the Methodist church last Wednesday at 1 o’clock, the Baptist minister officiating, interment in Oak Grove cemetery.

Twenty-second Year, #10416, Thursday, April 23, 1903

(Local News)  Ex-District Attorney and Mrs. L. T. Hoyt of Athens mourns the loss of their infant son who died on Monday, April 13th, after, an illness of four days with pneumonia aged eight months.

(Local News)  Albert Wright, a well-known farmer of Lindley, Tioga county, recently deliberately committed suicide in a peculiar manner.  He took an axe, went to the woods, felled a tree so that it leaned against another, climbed the sloping trunk, made fast a rope he had brought with him and swung himself into eternity.

(West Burlington News)  Bernard Ford who has lived for several years with John Ballard, died of typhoid fever last Friday.  Mr. and Mrs. Ballard have the sympathy of their many friends.

 (Roseville News)  The six months’ old daughter of Birt Wilson who died last week was brought here for burial in Watson cemetery.

(East Troy News)  A. Carmen, of Pisgah died Monday morning of pneumonia.  Funeral was held Wednesday.

(East Troy News)  Last Friday, April 17th at the home of Mr. John Ballard on Pisgah where he had lived for several years, died of typhoid fever, Bernard Ford Ballard, aged 16 years.  A brother came from Philadelphia and took the remains there on Monday for interment.  He was a bright and promising young man and will be much missed in the home and community.

(Granville Summit News)  Mrs. Lillian Reid Parmeter formerly of Windfall, died at her home in Big Rapids, Mich., April 16.  She leaves a husband, two daughters, six brothers, and one sister, Mrs. Marum Lewis of this place.

Twenty-second Year, #10417, Thursday, April 30, 1903

Jacob A. Linderman.
 The tragic death last week of Jacob A. Linderman, one of Troy’s most respected citizens, has brought sorrow to many hearts.
 Mr. Linderman had been for a number of weeks past on a visit at the home of his brother, James L. Linderman at Osseo, Wisocnsin.  He left there on Saturday, April 18th, on his return to his home here, where he was expected to arrive on the following Monday.  Word was sent from Osseo to his daughter, Mrs. Thaddeus W. Wolfe of Elmira, on Monday, to learn if he had reached that city safely.  Not knowing of his whereabouts, Mrs. Wolfe in turn sent the message on to her nephew, Harry Linderman at Troy, who was also uninformed on the matter.  Much anxiety was then felt for the welfare of Mr. Linderman, and greater alarm, was occasioned on learning later of the terrible wreck on the Erie railroad near Salamanca, which occurred on Monday, resulting in a number of deaths of those on borad.  Telegraph news was received from the scene of the wreck where it was ascertained there were a number of unidentified bodies of those who had met death.  James Linderman of Troy, a son of the deceased, accompanied by his son-in-law, C. R. Elliott of Elmira, left early Wednesday morning for the scene of the disaster.  From the slight remains of one of the bodies, certain well-known pocket articles of metal, coins, etc., were the only means of establishing the identity of Mr. Linderman.  The return to Troy with the remains was made on Thursday night.
 Interment took place at Glenwood cemetery Friday afternoon at 3 o’clock, Rev. J. L. Phoenix officating.  Further service was held on Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Disciple church, conducted by Rev. Phoenix, assisted by the pastor Rev. L. S. Harrington.
 Jacob A. Linderman was born in Ithaca, N. Y., October 5th, 1819, a son of Isaac and Elizabeth Linderman, of German descent.  He was one of five children, James L. of Osseo, Wisconsin, Mrs. Sarah Elsworth of Fredricksburg, Iowa, Mrs. C. E. Wells of Ionia, Michigan, and Emeline, deceased.  His early days were passed in Tompkins county, N. Y., and in 1839 he removed to Bradford county, Pa., with headquarters at Canton, where he operated the first threshing machine used in this county.  In May, 1842, he was united in marriage to Olive M., daughter of David and Raphel Williams of Troy township, whose death occurred December 16, 1894.  Eight children were born to them.  Alvin K., James and George of Troy, Mrs. Thaddeus Wolfe of Elmira, and the others deceased, Sarah E., who was the wife of the late Uel C. Porter of Troy, All.. and Vandelia, who died in infancy, and Eugene, who passed away in August, 1874.
 Mr. Linderman had been a resident of Troy since 1842, and for over forty years resided on the farm he lately occupied.  He was one of our well-known and public-spirited citizens, and a man of great integrity, always interested in the welfare of those with whom he associated.  The sympathy of all is with the bereaved family.

Mrs. Julia Colony.
 On April 25th, 1903, occurred the death of Mrs. Julia Colony of Troy, relict of Charles Colony, Sen.
 Mrs. Colony was born in New Jersey on October 8, 1822, and was the daughter of Thomas Ferguson, who emigrated from New Jersey some seventy years ago, and settled at Rowley Corners in the township of Wells, Pa., where he and his wife spent the balance of their days.  Mr. Ferguson’s family consisted of six sons and two daughters.  Of these Deacon Uriah Ferguson of Austinville and William Ferguson of Caton, N. Y., survive.  Charles Colony, husband of the deceased, and their family resided in Troy a number of years during the 40’s.  He died at Austinville thirty-nine years ago.  Their children were William, residing in Mansfield, Charles in Elmira and Thomas in Troy, the last with whom she lived and in whose home she died.  The daughters were Mrs. John Hunt, deceased, and a daughter who died at an early age.
 Mrs. Colony was a member of the Universalist church, as was her husband, in his lifetime, and was higlhy esteemed by those who knew her.
 Funeral services were held from the home on the 30th last, and was largely attended.  The service was conducted by Rev. T. A. Hughes, pastor of the Troy Baptist church assisted by Rev. T. Mitchell.  The burial took place in Oak Hill cemetery.

Deacon Andrus Case.
 Deacon Andrus Case died in Troy, April 25th, 1903, aged 83 years, four months and ten days.
 Mr. Case was the son of Abraham Case.  His mother’s maiden name was Sally Williams.  His birth occurred December 15th, 1819, in a primative structure which stood where now is situated the beautiful residence of Mrs. Holcomb on West Main street.  He had five brothers and three sisters.  Two brothers and two sisters remain.
 Mr. Case was twice married.  His first wife was Susan Knights.  She died in LeRoy, an infant child died about the same time.  His scond wife who survives him at the age of 82, was Lucy Ayres, daughter of John Ayres.  They were married February 22d, 1844.
 Deacon Case became a member of the Troy Baptist church 64 years ago.  Living in LeRoy for a time he transferred his membership to that place, but in time returned to the original fold.  He was a man of great integrity and moral worth.  As a christian he was true to the Savior and to the church of his choice.  Forty years ago he was one of a galaxy, who shone as lights and stood as pillars in the church of Christ.  Not intending to make invidious distinctions, we mention as among the number, Deacons Rufus Rockwell and B. F. Tears, Daniel Dobbins and wife, Reuben Case, C. M. DeForest, and last but not least, that grand old soldire, Rev. T. S. Sheardown, who for fourteen years, held up the torch of truth in the Baptist pulpit of Troy and whose sun set suddenly yet gloriously, in 1847, after a long and brilliant day of 82 years.  Of those of more recent years who have departed as among the useful and honored ones, may be mentioned the names of Deacon C. S. Burt and wife.
 Sixty years ago, Deacon Case was a Sunday School teacher, and in later years, was, for fifteen years Sunday School superintendent and some twenty-five or thirty years deacon of the church.
 The funeral, held at the Baptist church at 3 p.m., on the 30th inst. was largely attended.  His pastor Rev. T. A. Hughes officiated, assisted by Rev. B. T. Davies and Rev. T. Mitchell.  The burial was in Glenwood cemetery.

Twenty-second Year, #10418, May 7, 1903

Mrs. Minnie Strickland.
 Mrs. Minnie Strickland, wife of A. B. Strickland, died at Kenyonville, N.Y., April 22nd, age 22 years and four months, leaving two sons, one of them two years old and the other eleven days old.
 Mrs. Strickland was born at Wafts Flats, N.Y., on December 25th, 1880 and was adopted by Rev. E. Burroughs and wife, when she was three years old.  Her name was Minnie Terry.  She was married to Mr. Strickland January 10th, 1900, and settled at once in the place where she died.  She became a member of the Baptist church at age of eleven years and proved the genuineness of her profession by a life of christian devotion and loyalty to the claims of her divine Lord and Master.  She was much beloved by the people among whom she lived and died.
 It seems a striking coincidence that she died on the same hour and minute –12”20 at midnight, just eleven weeks after the death of her mother, and that her funeral occurred just eleven weeks to the hour, after she attended the funeral of her mother at Burlington, Pa., where her father, pastor of the Baptist church, Rev. Burroughs, has the sypmathy of his many friends in the double bereavement that has unexpectedly befallen him, but he has the comfort in the assurance that his loss is the gain of those who have gone before him to the heavenly home.

Killed Near Troy.
 Leon E. Ramsiedd, a trainman employed on the Northern Central Railroad, was killed in an accident on his train at an early hour Monday morning, near Troy.  The deceased was twenty-foru years of age and resided with his mother in Elmira.  He left the city late Sunday night on a freight train known as “Third 93.”  At an early hour Monday morning he was missed from his position on the train and search revealed his lifeless body lying on the top of one of the box cars.  It was found he had struck his head against an overhead bridge near Troy, fracturing the skull and causing death.  The deceased was formerly an employee of the Clipper Chilled Plow Co., and on October 22 last he began work as a brakeman on the Northern Central.  His death occurred at the same bridge and under similar circumstances was attended the death of Charles H. Strong of Elmira last summer.
 The deceased was a member of the P.O.S. of A., and is survived by his mother and one brother, an Erie Railroad fireman.
 The remains were brought to Elmira Monday morning at 4:45 o’clock and taken to Hubbell’s undertaking rooms and prepared for burial.
 The funeral was held Tuesday at 4 p.m., and the body taken to Mansfield for burial.

(West Burlington News)  Little Florence, the year old daughter of John Harris and wife died Sunday morning after a weeks’ illness with grippe.

Twenty-second Year, #10419, Thursday, May 14, 1903

Alvin K. Linderman.
 One of Troy’s representative and best citizens, Mr. Alvin K. Linderman, has passed away, and again Troy is deprived of one of the strong men of the community.  Mr. Linderman had been a sufferer a number of years with a growth of malignant character of his left side, affecting the interior organs.  For this serious trouble he sought medical attention, from which no permanent relief could be obtained, but not until within a few weeks past, did he resign himself to confinement at his home, and during which time his system was too week to withstand sufficient nourishment.  He however, bore his suffering in his habitual cheerful frame of mind and disposition, and his passing away, on Friday, May 8th, was with the relief of a consecrated christian spirit.
 Mr. Linderman was born on July 23rd, 1842, on the old homestead in Troy township lately occupied by his late father, Jacob A. Linderman, whose death occurred a short time since.  His mother, Mrs. Olive M. is also deceased.  He was one of eight children, James M. and George, who reside in Troy, Mrs. J. W. Wolfe of Elmira, also Eugene, Sarah, Vandalia and Alice deceased.
 Mr. Linderman’s boyhood days were spent in this vicinity, where he grew intimate with the life of the farmer.  He was called early to serve his country at the time of the rebellion, and on September 8th, 1864, was enrolled at Elmira as a member of Captain Wilson’s Co., 1st Regiment, N. Y., Battery F.  He was discharged from honorable service in June of the following year, and since then had taken up his residence in Troy boro.  Soon after his discharge from the service he entered employment at the grocery store then conducted by the late C. N. Grohs, where he remained for a number of years.  On January 4th, 1869, he was united in marriage to Miss Frances French of Corning, N. Y., who with their children, Harry D. of Gray’s Run and Mrs. Chas. B. Romer of Elmira survive, and were present with and gave the patient untiring care during his last days.
 In the later years Mr. Linderman was prominently occupied in filling public offices, holding the postmastership in Troy for two terms, also the office as Burgess and other positions of trust to the community, in the execution of which duties he was characteristically so faithful and untiring.  Our esteemed friend who has departed, has left with us an uplifting influence from the memory of his great and useful life.  The pleasant greeting he had for all the, kindly deeds, and the manifestations of a sympathetic nature were among the east of those attributes.  Which brought innumerable friends to the one whose loss we mourn.
 Funeral services were held at the late home of the deceased Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock, and were conducted by Rev. E. P. Morse, assisted by Rev. A. E. Hall.  A quartet of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Mitchell and Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Roosa, rendered appropriate music.  It was a marked circumstance that members of Battery F only acted as pall-bearers.  They were Messrs. O. P. Adams, E. T. Buffin, Troy; John Caneda, Sylvania; George Sternberg, Richard Evans and O. E. Booth of Elmira.  Gustin Post No. 1854, G. A. R., of which Mr. Linderman was a devoted member, had charge of the burial service at Glenwood Cemetery.

 Mortimer M. Harkness of Berrytown, May 6, of kidney trouble, aged 60 years.
 Florence, 4 year-old duaghter of John and May Harris of Burlington, May 3rd, of grippe.
 Mrs. Artensin C. Mevlille, of Burlington, May 10th, of pneumonia.

Mrs. John Reidy.
 Mrs. John Reidy, a resident of this place, died Saturday, April 25th, after a short illness, aged 71 years.
 She was visiting her daughter, Mrs. F. C. Newell near Troy, where she was taken suddenly ill on Friday morning and died Saturday afternoon.  She had lived in this vicinity for the past fifty years.
 She was born in County Clare, Ireland, Feb 2, 1832, her maiden name being Bridget McMahon.  At the age of 20 she was married to Thomas Custy, who died in 1870, leaving six children to survive him.
 On April 7, 1872, she was married to John Reidy, and one child, Josephine, was born to them.  She leaves to mourn her loss two sons and four daughters:  John and Thomas Custy, Mrs. M. C. Churchill, Mrs. F. C. Newell, Mrs. Michael Loony, and Miss Josephine Reidy and three brothers and one sister, Frank McMahon, of Lock Haven; Terry McMahon of Col.; John McMahon New York city and Mrs. Wm. Crowly, Kansas City, Mo.
 Mrs. Reidy was an affectionate mother and a devoted christian and the large number who accompanied her remains to the cemetery bore testimony to the esteem in which she was held.  The funeral took place at St. Michael’s church at 10 9’clock Tuesday morning, Rev. W. H. Connolly officiating.
 The relatives from out of town who attended the funeral were as follows:  Frank McMahon of Lock Haven; John Custy and family of Ralston; Melborn Churchill and family, and Michael Loony and family of Morris Run; Frank Newell and family of Troy; Andrew Hallron and family of Ralston; Michael Larey and family and Michael O’Leary and wife and Timothy Collins of Buffalo, N. Y.; Morris Reidy and wife of Springfield; Mrs. Morris Reidy of Troy; Mrs. John Werdein and son, Mrs. Thomas O’Gorman, Miss Bridget Reidy, Mrs. J. W. Sheene, and Mrs. L. J. Ryan of Elmira; Wm. O’Donnell and daughter, Mrs. Richard O’Donnell and Richard Moxley of Blossburg; John and Ella Jones and Miss Annie Holloran of Ralston; Mrs. Thomas Crowe, Mrs. Harry Avery and John Cooney of Troy.
 Mr. Reidy and family are very appreciative of the courtesies extended by kind friends at the funeral. –Canton Sentinel, May 5.

(Roseville News)  Clifford, son of William Armstrong, died last Sunday with quick consumption, nearly two years old.  Funeral services were held Tuesday in the M. E. church.  Interment in Watson cemetery.

(Roseville News)  Mrs. Henry VanAuchen, an old soldier and much respected citizen, suffered a stroke of paralysis last Saturday, a. m., and died the same afternoon.  Had he lived until the 29th of this month he would have reached the age of 79.  He leaves an aged wife, one son and four daughters.  Funeral services were held Monday p.m., in the M. E. church, Rev. Daniel Stoker of Mainesburg, officiating.  Undertaker Shaw of Mansfield had charge of the remains and burial was in Hope cemetery, Mansfield.

A Double Death.
 That Fate is sometimes kind was illustrated by a tragic ending to one couple’s lives at Morris, Friday.  John Johnston, a Swede who works in the heading factory at Hoytville, and his wife died within twelve hours of each other.  Mrs. Johnston has suffered for over two years with consumption and on Friday died.  Mr. Johnston, who was formerly a resident of Charleston, immediately set about making arrangements for the funeral.  He went to the Shumway Hill cemetery to arrange the last resting place of his companion and returned home at 3 o’clock Friday afternoon.  He opened, the door of his sorrow stricken home and without a sign dropped dead on the threshold.  He was about forty years of age and his death was due to heart failure.  Two small children of Mrs. Johnston’ survive.  The husband and wife will be buried in one grave. –Wellsboro Advocate.

Twenty-second Year, #104110, May 21, 1903

(Local News)  Mrs. Garafilia May died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. S. Fenton, April 9th, 1903, aged 76 years.

(Local News)  The death is noted of C. B. Riggs, an aged resident of Smithfield.

 Mrs. Elizabeth A. Leonard of Leona, May 16th, of general debility, aged 86 years.
 Donald Macdonald at the Troy House, May 17th, of pulmonary tuberculosis, aged 39 years.  Remains taken to late home of decease at Nova Scotia.
 Sherman H. Hill of Burlington, May 18th, of general debility, aged 88 years.

Twenty-second Year, #104111, May 28, 1903

Mrs. Robert J. Cheney.
  Loretta Spencer Cheney
 The death of Mrs. Loretta Spencer Cheney, one of the most aged and highly esteemed residents of Troy, occurred at her home on East Main street last Friday, after a lingering illness from general debility.
 Mrs. Cheney was born on July 9th 1818, and hid lived in the house in which she died for over fifty years, the husband of the deceased having cleared the land on which the house stood, and at the time of its erection there were only eleven houses on the hill which is now so densely populated.  Mrs. Cheney was one of those lovely characters who go through life loved and respected by all who know her, and leaves none behind but will always remember her pleasantly.  She is survived by her aged husband in his eight-ninth year, and one granddaughter, Miss Minnie Buck, who has resided with her since her mother’s death when a little girl and who has always been devoted and thoughtful in her services.  The sympathy of the many friends go out to the aged husband so sadly bereft.  The funeral services were conducted from the late residence, the first being conducted by Rev. Sydney Winter, rector of St. Paul’s, in accordance with the wishes of the grand daughter, who is a devout Episcopalian.  The services were at one o’clock and were private.  At half past two o’clock there were services conducted by Rev. A. E. Hall of the M. E. church, of which the deceased had been a member for many years.  This was very largely attended, every church in Troy being represented.  The pastor spoke touchingly of the deceased and related many incidents of much interest, at the close of which the remains were borne to Glenwood and laid away.

Sherman Hawley Hill.
 Sherman Hawley Hill, son of Samuel and Laura Pitcher Hill, was born in New Milford, Litchfield, County, Conn., Sept. 11, 1814, and died at his home in Burlington Boro, Bradford Co., PA., May 18, 1903, at the extreme age of 88 years, 8 months, and 7 days.
 After a few years residence in Litchfield he moved with his parents to Rushville, Susquehanna County, Pa., and while a resident here married Julia A. Porter, daughter of John and Martha Porter, of Troy, Pa.
 In 1848 he moved to Burlington Boro, Pa., where he built his home and has since resided.  Here were born to him two sons, Randolph Porter, of Elmira, N. Y., and John Howard of Burlington, both of whom survive him.  Besides these sons, six grand children and three great grand children also survive him.
 He was an energetic business man; a millwright by trade.  But better than all that might be said in regard to his business ability, may be said in relation to his home.  He was a loving husband, a kind father, and an ever indulgent grand parent as all those surviving him truthfully attest.  In his declining days he was not characterized by that crabby old age that marks the lives of so many aged persons, but a patient sufferer till death, retaining full consciousness to the end.
 As a neighbor and friend he possessed qualities of manliness and hospitality, for he sincerely believed in the golden rule as the safe motto to follow.
 He leaves a large circle of relatives, friends and acquaintances to mourn his loss, and especial sympathy is expressed by the whole community in which he so long moved, for the afflicted and bereaved widow.
 Funeral services were held at his late home on Wednesday, May 20th at 2 p.m., conducted by Rev. E. A. Huntington.  Interment in Oak Grove cemetary.

(Windfall News)  Little Mildred Bunyan, who has been a great sufferer for months, died Thursday night, May 21, aged 10 years.  The funeral was held Sunday at the M. E. church, Rev. Delmot officiating.  The remains were interred at the cemetery here.  The bereaved father and mother have the sympathy of a host of friends.

(Springfield News)  The death of Mrs. Minerva Barrett of Berrytown, which occurred on the 21st inst., is a severe loss to the community as well as her immediate family.  Her sufferings were severe, but she bore them without a murmur and continued her household labors until a short time before her death.  Well knowing what the end must be, she faced death as calmly as she had faced the duties of life.  The text used by her former pastor, Rev. French, was peculiarly applicable. “She hath done what she could.”

Twenty-second Year, #104112, Thursday, June 4, 1903

(Windfall News)  M. F. Shoemaker, Jr., died at his home near this place Saturday morning, May 30th, aged 58 years, one month and one day.   He had been in poor health for some time, but was only confined to his bed about a week.  The deceased leaves a wife and six children, beside a host of friends and relatives who sincerely mourn his loss.  The funeral was held at the M. E. church, Tuesday, June 2nd, Rev. R. F. Delmot officiating.  The flowers were many and beautiful.

See Page Two of 1903 Obituaries

Custom Search 
Search the Tri-Counties Pages of Troy Gazette-Register Only
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On  24 AUG 2008
By Joyce M. Tice