MIDDLEBURY AND FARMINGTON TOWNSHIPS—NELSON, ELKLAND AND OSCEOLA BOROUGHS
RICHARD GOODWIN was born in New Hampshire, in 1760, and came to Tioga County with his family in 1807. He purchased a tract of land in Middlebury Township, a portion of which is owned by his grandsons, George H. and Calvin A. Goodwin. Here he resided and cultivated his farm until old age prevented him from further work. He died December 10, 1858, at the remarkable age of ninety-eight years. He married Lauranie Carpenter, who bore him six children, viz: Benjamin, Calvin, Charles, Lucy, Sally and Susan. The mother died soon after the family came to Tioga County.
CALVIN GOODWIN was born in Vermont, January 9, 1799, and was about nine years old when his parents, Richard and Lauranie Goodwin, settled in the primitive forest of Middlebury Township. Here he grew to manhood, surrounded by the trials and hardships of pioneer days, attending school in the little log building of the neighborhood, and assisting his parents to clear and improve the homestead. He was an honest, hard-working man, and accumulated a good property. He spent his entire life in this county upon the old homestead settled by his father. In 1835 Mr. Goodwin married Anna Sloat, a daughter of David Sloat. She was born in 1809, and bore him a family of eight children, named as follows; Albert, who died in the South, while a soldier in the Union Army; Milo, a resident of Middlebury; Mathilda, wife of Edie Handy, of Deerfield; James W., a resident of Charleston; Charles, who died at the age of fifty-nine; Charity, wife of Mason Bennett, of Wellsboro; Susan, who died at the age of Forty-seven, and Calvin A., who lives on a portion of the old homestead and with whom Mrs. Goodwin resides.
MILO GOODWIN, second son of Calvin Goodwin, was born in Middlebury Township, Tioga county, September 8, 1827, received a common school education, and lived with his parents until his majority. He then bought forty acres of land in Charleston Township, lived there two years, then sold it and purchased his present farm west of Keeneyville. August 9, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, under Captain Hammond, and later Capt. John I. Mitchell, the present president judge of Tioga County, and was honorably discharged at Harrisburg in June, 1863. Mr. Goodwin was married in 1847, to Fannie Spaulding, a daughter of William Spaulding, to which union have been born five children, viz; William, a resident of Chatham; Ettie, wife of Salem Butler, of Deerfield; Frank, a farmer of Middlebury; Angie, wife of Gardner Andrews, of Wellsboro, and Callie S., who lives on the homestead. In politics, Mr. Goodwin is a Republican, and has served as a school director three years. He is also a member of the G. A. R. and the P. of H. Societies.
CALVIN A. GOODWIN, youngest child of Calvin Goodwin, was born in Middlebury Township, Tioga County, February 10, 1848. He attended district schools in boyhood, and has always lived on the old homestead, engaged in farming and lumbering. He married Marian West, a daughter of Thomas M. West, of Middlebury Township, May 12, 1867. She was born May 7, 1847, and is the mother of nine children, viz; William, who died in infancy; Ida, wife of Eli Peck, of Middlebury; Addie, wife of Leon West, of the same township; Orrin, Charles, James and Matie A., all residents of Middlebury; Albert and Susan, both deceased. Mrs. Goodwin is a member of the Free Will Baptist church. In politics, Mr. Goodwin is a Republican, has served as a school director one term, and is also a member of the Patrons of Husbandry.
CHARLES GOODWIN was born in New Hampshire, October 5, 1807. A few weeks before the family removed to this county. He was the youngest son of Richard Goodwin, and was reared upon the homestead farm in Middlebury, which became his property after his father’s death. He married Esther Sloat, to which union were born seven children, viz; Roanna K., widow of Walter Briggs, of Richmond; Adaline, deceased; George H., of Middlebury; Clarissa, Howard and Alfred, all of whom are dead, and Eveline, wife of Henry Hayes, of Middlebury. Mrs. Goodwin died on July 11, 1867, aged fifty-six years, and her husband, February 4, 1880 in his seventy-third year.
GEORGE H. GOODWIN, only living son of Charles Goodwin, was born on his resent farm in Middlebury Township, Tioga County, August 18, 1836, was educated in the district schools, and has made agriculture his life vocation. July 24, 1864, he married Beatrice K. Keeney, a daughter of Ransom Keeney, of Middlebury. She was born April 9, 1844, and has had three children,viz; Floyd H., who died at the age of five years; Fred. A., who died at fourteen years of age, and Roy, who died in infancy. In politics, Mr. Goodwin is a stanch Democrat.
THOMAS KEENEY was born in Hartford, Connecticut, September 28, 1776, the eldest of two sons born to Thomas Keeney, Sr., the younger one being Jesse. His father was a native of Scotland, born May 21, 1751, and came to America prior to the Revolution, serving under Washington during that struggle for liberty. Thomas spent his early life in his native place, whence he removed to Onondaga County, New York, and in the autumn of 1815 came to Tioga County, Pennsylvania, and purchased a large farm on Crooked Creek, in Middlebury Township. Here he spent the remaining years of his life, dying September 1, 1853. He married Anna Parshall, who bore him nine children, viz: Mercy, Israel P., Elijah, Elisah, Jesse, and Alvira, all of whom are dead; Ransom, of Middlebury Township; Anna, deceased, and Thomas, a resident of Middlebury. Mrs. Keeney died February 18, 1827, aged forty-nine years. Mr. Keeney was a deacon in the Baptist church.
ISRAEL P. KEENEY, eldest son of Thomas and Anna Keeney, was born in Onondaga County, New York, in 1802, and was thirteen years old when the family came to Tioga County. Here he grew to manhood, and made farming his life vocation. His wife, Clarinda, was a daughter of Aaron Niles, and bore him a family of eleven children, as follows: Henry S., of Middlebury; Ruth, who died in infancy; Ruth A., wife of Daniel Holiday; Mercy, deceased wife of Benjamin Starkey; Alvira and Clarinda, both deceased; Deborah, deceased wife of Samuel Hayes; Mary, wife of Joseph Brown, of Lawrence Township; Henrietta, wife of O. D. Whitcomb; Delia, deceased wife of Orrin West, and Lafayette, deceased. Mr. Keeney and wife were members of the Baptist Church, in which he filled the office of deacon. He died at Middlebury Center, March 11, 1886, and his wife, August 12, 1885, aged eighty-seven years.
HENRY S. KEENEY, eldest child of Israel P. Keeney, and grandson of Thomas Keeney, was born in Middlebury Township, Tioga County, January 1, 1824. He was reared upon the homestead, and assisted his parents on the farm until he was twenty-two years of age, when he began working out as a farm hand and mill man. May 11, 1845, he married Zunilda Whitney, a daughter of Jeremiah Whitney. She was born August 7, 1826, and is the mother of six children, as follows; Loren D., who died at the age of eleven; Calista S., wife of Ephraim Thomas, of Mansfield; VanBuren, of Chatham Township, who married Sarah Short, who has had five children; Frankie, deceased, Hattie, Vola, Olen and Stella; Ruth A., wife of Clark Sweet, of Middlebury; Henry S., a carpenter of Middlebury Center, who married Katie Badman, and has three children, Leah, Eva and Seymour B.; and Flora A., wife of Thomas B. Bolton, a resident of Middlebury Center. In September, 1864, Mr. Keeney enlisted in Company G, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was soon afterwards taken sick, and in May, 1865, was discharged at Philadelphia because of disability. Politically, he is a Republican, and both he and his wife are members of the Free Will Baptist church.
JESSE KEENEY, youngest son of Thomas Keeney, Sr., was born in Hartford, Connecticut, September 18, 1778, being exactly two years younger than his brother Thomas. His father was a native of Scotland, born May 21, 1751, and came to America prior to the Revolution, serving under Washington during that struggle for liberty. Jesse spent his early life in his native place, and married Catherine Middaugh December 19, 1799, subsequently removing to New York State. His wife was born September 13, 1781, and bore him the following children; Elias, Sarah, Thomas, Permelia, Jesse, Abram S. and Jesse M., all of whom are dead; Caty, wife of Delinas Walker; Mercy, deceased; Richard M., a resident of Farmington Township; Ruby and George D., both deceased. Mr. Keeney came to Tioga County in 1831, and located on a farm at Mill Creek, where he died on June 18, 1834. His wife survived him fourteen years, dying August 13, 1848.
GEORGE DANIEL KEENEY, youngest child of Jesse Keeney, was born at Cortland, New York, December 5, 1825, and was six years old when his parents settled in this county. Here he grew to maturity, and in the fall of 1848 located at Keeneyville, where he engaged extensively in lumbering, and purchased several tracts of land. In 1859 he was commissioned first lieutenant of the Northern Artillery. In 1861 he was appointed postmaster at Keeneyville, and in 1866 was elected a justice of the peace, an office he filled continuously for thirty years. He also served as a school director several terms, and filled other minor offices of his township. He was an ardent Republican, and always gave his support to that party. Mr. Keeney was married August 17, 1848, to Jane A. Drew, a daughter of Deacon John Drew. She was born March 2, 1830, and became the mother of nine children, as follows; Florence A., wife of Prof. F. M. Smith, of Arcade, New York; Agnes E., of Keeneyville; Ernest H., who died at the age of seven; Ida E., wife of Leroy Costley, of Middlebury township; Arthur M., of Keeneyville; Helen J., deceased; Eva G., wife of Elmer E. Guernesey, of St. Paul, Minnesota; Burton L., of Keeneyville, and Myrtle L., who died at the age of twenty-three years. Mrs. Keeney died January 1, 1893. She was for many years a member of the First Baptist church. February 17, 1895, he married, for his second wife, Rachel L. Morse, of Scranton, Pennsylvania. Mr. Keeney died February 11, 1896. He was a consistent member of the First Baptist church; was also connected with the K. of H., and was one of the oldest and most respected citizens of the community.
ARTHUR M. KEENEY was born at Keeneyville, June 21, 1859, and is the oldest living son of George D. Keeney. He was educated in the Keeneyville graded school, and is now engaged in the retail meat business. On October 3, 1879, he married Laura Wedge, a daughter of Samuel Wedge, of Middlebury township, and has three children; Maude, Harry and Ethel. The last mentioned was given to her uncle, Henry Wedge, at her mother’s death, which occurred March 31, 1893. Mr. Keeney is a member of the First Baptist church, also of the I. O. O. F., the K. O. T. M., and the P. of H. societies. In politics, he is a Republican, and one of the well-known businessmen of Keeneyville.
BURTON L. KEENEY, the youngest son of George D. Keeney, was born at Keeneyville, Tioga County, October 20, 1866, and received his education at the Keeneyville High School and the State Normal School, Mansfield. He also graduated in stenography from Barnes’ Shorthand College, St. Louis Missouri, and practiced as a professional stenographer for five years in Keokuk, Iowa, and St. Paul, Minnesota, and also in the courts of Tioga County. April 3, 1895, he married Luella P. Cloos, youngest daughter of Philip T. Cloos. Their daughter, Edytha Luella, was born April 17, 1896. Mr. Keeney is a member of the Baptist church, a charter member of the K. O. T. M., and in politics, a Republican. He devotes his attention to farming.
EDSELL MITCHELL was born at the mouth of Mitchell’s Creek, in Tioga Township, Tioga County, August 27, 1793, eldest child of Richard and Ruby (Keeney) Mitchell, and is claimed by his descendants to have been the first white child born in this county. In 1816 he came to Middlebury township and located on the present Mitchell farm, where the remainder of his life was passed. He served in the War of 1812, and is one of the well-remembered pioneers. He resided in Middlebury up to his death, August 15, 1870. Mr. Mitchell was thrice married. His first marriage occurred March 26, 1818, to Nancy Hill, born December 27, 1793. She became the mother of seven children, viz; Melissa, deceased; Alonzo and Thomas E., both residents of Middlebury Township; Margaret A., deceased; Lorenzo D., a farmer of Charleston; Mercy, wife of G. L. Stevens, of Chicago, and Edsell, deceased. Mrs. Mitchell died August 25, 1829. He was again married in December, 1829, to Nancy Ottison, who bore him five children, viz; Richard, Nancy and Jane, all deceased; William A., of Middlebury, and Harriet, wife of Albert Longbothum, of Mansfield. The mother died September 15, 1844, and he subsequently married Mrs. Margaret Bates, a native of Ireland.
THOMAS E. MITCHELL, son of Edsell Mitchell, and grandson of Richard Mitchel,was born on his present farm in Middlebury Township, Tioga County, April 10, 1822, and attended school in the little log building near his father’s home. When twenty-seven years old he rented an adjoining farm, and one year later went five miles into the forest of Charleston Township, cut the first tree on a 100 acre tract, cleared it up, and resided thereon for twenty-three years. In 1873 he sold this property and located on his present farm, a part of the old homestead, where he has since lived. Mr. Mitchell was married February 13, 1848, to Zelina Z. Stebbins, a daughter of Orrin and Lydia (Treat) Stebbins. She was born in Eaton, Madison County, New York, March 11, 1829, and came to this county with her mother in 1835. Five children have been born to this marriage, viz; Frances E., who died in childhood; Edgar A., a resident of Montgomery County; Thomas J., and Walter B., residents of Middlebury Township, and Lettie Z. who died in early youth. Mr. Mitchell and wife have been life long members of the Baptist church, and in politics, adherents of the Republican party. While a resident of Charleston Township, he served as collector and supervisor, has filled the office of constable in Middlebury, and has always taken quite an active interest in public affairs.
WILLIAM A. MITCHELL, eldest living child of Edsell and Nancy (Ottison) Mitchell, was born where he now resides, in Middlebury Township, July 19, 1837. He attended the common schools in boyhood, and was reared upon the homestead farm, where he has spent his entire life, with the exception of five years, from 1870 to 1875, when he was operating a grist mill at Tioga. He has also operated the McClure mill, near his home, but has devoted his principal attention to farming. Mr. Mitchell has been twice married. On March 16, 1861, he married Helen R. Leete, a daughter of Thomas Leete, who bore him three children, viz; Cora C., who died in childhood; Winfield, a tinsmith in Wellsboro, and Willie E., at home. Mrs. Mitchell died February 3, 1886, and he was again married on September 20, 1887, to Anna Prutsman, a daughter of Jacob Prutsman, of Middlebury Township. She was born July 5, 1851. Mr. Mitchell and wife are members of the Baptist church. Politically, a Republican, he has filled the offices of school director, constable and township clerk.
WALTER B. MITCHELL was born in Charleston township, Tioga County, February 18, 1857, a son of Thomas E. and Zelina Z. Mitchell, and grandson of Edsel Mitchell. When twenty-one years old he began for himself by cultivating rented farms, but at the end of four years bought his present property from Charles J. Humphrey, which embraces 153 acres, located on Hill’s Creek. Mr. Mitchell was married November 13, 1878, to Helen White, a daughter of Waldo White, of Middlebury Township, and has two children, Nellie E. and Ava I. In politics, he is an adherent of the Republican party.
JOHN ROE, a native of Vermont, came from Delaware County, New York, to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1815, and located on Crooked Creek, in Middlebury township. He was married in New York State to Waitie Burdick, who bore him seven children, viz; Cornelius, Rosanna, Henry, Samuel, Mary, Elizabeth and Jonathan B. Mr. Roe and wife spent their declining years in this county, and died on their homestead in Middlebury township.
CORNELIUS ROE, eldest child of John Roe, was born in Orange County, New York, in 1794, there grew to manhood, and in 1833 came to Tioga county and located on the Tioga River, in Tioga township, where he found employment on a farm for a few months. He then purchased ninety acres of land in Middlebury township, on which he made his home the remaining years of his life. He married Betsey Mills, to which union were born eight children, as follows; Jane, widow of Jefferson Button, of West Avon, New York; James M., of Delmar township; Adelia and Andrew J., both deceased; John O. and Thomas E., of Middlebury township; Mercy R., widow of Joseph Haines, of Wilmington, Delaware, and Marian R., wife of Robert J. Hill, of Savannah, Georgia. Mrs. Roe died June 3, 1842, aged forty-three years, and her husband, June 25, 1861.
JAMES M. ROE was born in Delaware County, New York, August 18, 1822, and is the eldest son of Cornelius Roe, and grandson of John Roe. He was reared upon a farm, and was eleven years old when his parents came to Tioga county. He lived on the home farm until 1867, a portion of which he had owned since 1855. In April, 1867, he bought his present farm in Delmar township, one mile and a half west of Wellsboro, where he has resided up to the present, with the exception of a few years spent in Wellsboro. Mr. Roe was married July 1, 1847, to Harriet Paulina Hutchinson, a daughter of Solomon and Austania (Morse) Hutchinson. She was born June 19, 1826, in Guilford, Chenango county, New York; came to Pennsylvania in 1842, and is the mother of the following children; Julia M., born May 1, 1848, and died November 15, 1888; Lewis A., born December 22, 1849, and died November 28, 1892; Sheldon N., born January 3, 1851, who resides at home; Austania J., born April 2, 1854, and died September 10, 1877; Cornelius E., born July 2, 1857, married Ida Kizer, January 21, 1882, and has had two children, Guy H., deceased, and Lettie J.; James E., born June 8, 1862, and died August 16, 1864, and Byron L., born November 12, 1864, a practicing physician. The family attends the Presbyterian church, and both Mr. Roe and wife are members of the Patrons of Husbandry. In politics, he is a Democrat, and has served as a school director in Middlebury township twelve years.
JOHN O. ROE, a son of Cornelius Roe, and grandson of John Roe, was born in Delaware county, New York, September 30, 1832, and was about one year old when his parents came to Tioga county. He was reared upon the homestead in Middlebury township, and has lived upon the same place since early boyhood. He spent three years in Oregon, from September, 1891, where he owns 400 acres of timber land. For some years he has been engaged in selling wagons and farm implements, when not pursuing his farm duties. On January 13, 1854, he married Hannah Gee, a daughter of Joseph Gee. She was born April 30, 1838, and is the mother of nine children, viz; John C., who is engaged in the lumber business in Oregon; Fred S., deceased; Clark E., a carpenter and mill man; Thomas A., who died at the age of thirty; Amos, who died in infancy; Joseph W., a furniture dealer and undertaker in Keeneyville; Anna M., wife of Wallace W. Caskey, of Oregon; Hannah G., who died at the age of fourteen; and Mildred, who died in infancy. Mr. And Mrs. Roe are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he is connected with the I. O. O. F. In politics, a Republican, he has filled the office of township supervisor fourteen years. [Oct. 2007 note: This is actually the information for Thomas E. Roe, John's brother. I discovered that when I started looking at the census records and cemetery records on your site. Glenda Springer Sippel email@example.com]
JAMES BRYANT was born in Steuben county, New York, December 31, 1799, and came to Tioga county with his parents in the year 1800. Here he grew to manhood and became quite a successful farmer, owning several hundred acres of land in Middlebury township. On October 24, 1824, he married Mary Rattze, who was born in Tioga county, November 20, 1806 and became the mother of the following children: Hiram, deceased; Ephraim J., who died in a rebel prison during the Civil War; Jabez Z., a farmer in the west, and Mary, deceased. Mr. Bryant died on July 3, 1857. His wife survived him thirty-two years, dying August 27, 1889.
HIRAM BRYANT, eldest son of James and Mary Bryant, was born in Middlebury township, Tioga county, June 24, 1825, there grew to manhood, and obtained a common school education. Mr. Bryant was married three times. In 1848 he married Jane Smith, who died soon after without issue. He was again married May 6, 1854, at Canton, Bradford county, to Cordelia Packard, a daughter of Silas Packard. She was born in Bradford county, October 10, 1833, and became the mother of six children, viz; Herman F., James E., Niles E., Rose B., wife of Parshall E. Wilcox; Millie A., who died at the age of seventeen, and John M. The five surviving children are residents of Middlebury township. Mrs. Bryant died February 8, 1881. His third wife was Sophia Scofield, nee Beach. Mr. Bryant died April 19, 1892. His widow resides in Middlebury township.
JAMES E. BRYANT, second son of Hiram Bryant, and grandson of James Bryant, was born on the homestead farm in Middlebury township, Tioga county, November 17, 1857. When fifteen years old he began working out as a farm hand, which he continued until his twenty-fourth year. He then rented a place in Farmington township, and at the end of one year bought out the other heirs to the old homestead, and now owns 50 acres of well-improved land. On November 13, 1881, he married Alice O. Niles, a daughter of Wallace Niles, of Middlebury township, and has two children, Olaf G. and Alaf G. Mrs. Bryant was a member of the Free Will Baptist church. She died June 29, 1895. Mr. Bryant is a member of the K. O. T. M., and in politics, a Republican.
NILES EMMER BRYANT, third son of Hiram Bryant, was born in Middlebury township, Tioga county, June 23, 1859. He worked at home until twenty-two years of age, and then found employment in the lumber woods. In the spring of 1885 he bought his present farm of 212 acres, a short distance north of Holiday, upon which he has since lived. On September 16, 1885, he married Ella Archer, a daughter of William Archer, of Middlebury township, and had one son, who died in infancy. Mr. And Mrs. Bryant are members of the Free Will Baptist church, also of the Patrons of Husbandry. In politics, he supports the Republican party.
ERASTUS NILES, SR., third son of Nathan and Irene Niles, was born in Connecticut, November 5, 1787, and was about nine years old when the family came to Tioga county. He remained with his parents in Tioga township up to 1820, when he and his brother Aaron located in Middlebury township, purchasing a part of the original Strawbridge warrant. He at once began the work of clearing and improving his land, which is now owned by his son, Erastus M. He married Permelia Ferry, a daughter of Ebenezer Ferry, a pioneer of Tioga township, who bore him a family of seven children, viz; Aurilla, widow of Nathan T. West, of Middlebury; Mary, wife of Philander West, of the same township; Erasmus W., deceased; Nathan H., of Charleston township; Elvira, deceased wife of Harrison Combs; Cordelia, deceased wife of Richard M. Kinney, and Annetta, wife of Green Smith, of Middlebury. Mrs. Niles died in 1837, and he was again married to Mrs. Austania Hutchinson, nee Morse, who became the mother of four children, as follows: James Homer, of Middlebury; Helen D., wife of D. P. Herrington, of Charleston; Dora, deceased wife of Harrison Combs, and Erastus M. of Middlebury. Mr. Niles died on his farm in Middlebury township, July 24, 1877 in the ninetieth year of his age.
JAMES HOMER NILES, eldest child of Erastus and Austania Niles, was born at Niles Valley, Tioga county, January 7, 1839. He was reared on the homestead, and remained with his parents until twenty years of age, when he began in life for himself. For a short time he worked as a teamster at Niles Valley, and later followed the same business at Salamanca, New York. Returning home, he went to Virginia in 1860, where he found employment as a railroad brakeman for six months. He again came home, but soon after went to Washington, D. C., and entered government service as a member of a construction corps, and was sent to Tennessee, and later to Atlanta, Georgia. In the fall of 1864, he returned to Tioga county, and the following spring located on his present farm, then owned by his father. Here he erected a log house and followed farming for one year. At the end of this time he moved to Niles Valley, bought a home and worked as a millwright for fifteen years at that point. In 1880, his father having previously died and left him his present homestead, he sold his property in Niles Valley and located on the farm, where he erected a fine residence in 1882. Mr. Niles married March 5, 1865, to Emily L. Benedict, a daughter of Marcus Benedict, of Richmond township. She was born August 22, 1842, and has one daughter, Clara A., wife of W. W. Stevens, of Farmington. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics, adherents of the Democratic party. Mr. Niles has filled the office of school director one term, and is also a member of the I. O. O. F., and the Patrons of Husbandry.
ERASTUS M. NILES, youngest child of Erastus and Austania Niles was born on his present homestead, in Middlebury township, Tioga county, March 8, 1846. He was educated in the common schools, and has devoted his entire attention to cultivating the home farm at Niles Valley, which embraces 130 acres of well-improved land. He married Jane French, a daughter of Moses French, of Middlebury township, and has two children, Marion P. and Angie. Politically, Mr. Niles is a stanch Democrat, and is recognized as one of the prominent farmers of his native township.
ERASMUS W. NILES, eldest son of Erastus Niles, Sr., was born in Niles Valley, Middlebury township, in May, 1827, and followed farming and lumbering all his life. He was well known among the lumbermen of Tioga county, and did a great deal of rafting down the Susquehanna river. In 1851, he married Catherine Backus, of Charleston township, who bore him the following children: Erastus, of Charleston; Parmelia Alvaretta, wife of Reuben Maynard, of Elk township; Annetta Louisa, wife of George Jackson, of Middlebury; Almeda, wife of H. T. Roe; of the same township; Nathan B., deceased; Alice Aurilla, wife of Edie Bryant, of Middlebury; Catherine, wife of J. E. Jackson, also a resident of Middlebury; Wallace L., of Chatham; Emma E., deceased, and Geary, who resides in Middlebury. Mr. Niles died April 9, 1871, and his wife, November 23, 1893. In politics, a Republican, he served as supervisor of Middlebury township fourteen terms.
ERASTUS NILES, eldest son of Erasmus W. Niles, was born on the homestead in Middlebury township, Tioga county, February 20, 1852, and has always followed farming and lumbering. He removed from his native township to Charleston township, where he purchased his present farm. On March 3, 1882, he married Ella Guerin, a daughter of Edward Guerin, of Charleston, who has borne him three children: Harry E., Nathan L., deceased, and James Erastus. Mr. Niles is a Republican, and is now serving on the school board. He is also connected with the I. O. O. F. and the K. O. T. M.
SOLOMON WESTBROOK was born in Chemung county, New York, March 1, 1795, there grew to manhood, and served in the War of 1812. A few years later he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased a farm on the Cowanesque river, some three miles west of Lawrenceville, in Lawrence township. Two years afterwards, he sold this and removed to Middlebury township, where he bought seventy-five acres of land near Holiday. Here he resided until his death, August 1, 1863. He was married at Tioga, in 1823, to Betsey E. Prutsman, a daughter of Jacob and Mary Prutsman, who came from Easton, Pennsylvania, to Tioga county in the fall of 1804. She was born near Easton, March 3, 1803, and by her marriage to Solomon Westbrook became the mother of seven children, viz; Mary, born March 30, 1824, and died July 2, 1825; John A., born February 10, 1826, who resides in Middlebury township; Albert H., born May 8, 1828, and died in 1883; William J., born August 12, 1830, and died in 1878; Jacob H., born October 18, 1832, a farmer of Tioga township; Theresa A., born July 27, 1834, wife of George Stevens, of Galaton, and Abram L., a resident of Middlebury township. Mrs. Westbrook died on March 3, 1883.
ABRAM l. WESTBROOK, youngest child of Solomon Westbrook, was born in Middlebury township, Tioga county, October 18, 1836. He obtained a common school education, and remained at home until his father’s death. He then bought out the other heirs and became the owner of the old homestead. He subsequently purchased 125 acres adjoining, and later a farm of 130 acres, a short distance north of the home farm, upon which he resides, but cultivates both places. Mr. Westbrook was married in 1875, to Miss Mary Harris, who bore him one son, Roy S. Mrs. Westbrook died in 1877. Mr. Westbrook is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and in politics, a Republican. By rigid industry and close attention to his business, he has accumulated through the passing years, a large property, and is today one of the leading farmers of his native township.
THOMAS LEETE was born in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, in 1790, and was a sailor in early life. He came to Tioga county early in the present century, and located on a farm in Middlebury township, where he cleared and improved a 100 acre tract, on which he resided until his death. He possessed a good education, and a fair knowledge of surveying, which business he followed for many years. His wife, Sallie, was a daughter of Sala Cole, and bore him six children, viz; Fannie M., wife of James McWhorter, of Middlebury; Alfred and Clark, both farmers of that township; Orpha, wife of A. B. Rundall, of Mansfield; Katherine, deceased, wife of Waldo White, and Helen R., deceased wife of William A. Mitchell. Mr. Leete died April 28, 1868, and his wife, November 2, 1876, aged seventy-two years.
CLARK LEETE was born in Middlebury township, Tioga county, March 25, 1837, a son of Thomas Leete. He obtained a limited education in the district schools of his native township, entering the lumber woods when he was sixteen years old, which business he followed for twenty years. In 1872 he purchased the Dunham farm, which he traded two years later for his present homestead. In 1883 he bought another farm of 125 acres, northwest of Hammond, and now cultivates both. On October 24, 1860, he married Sally, a daughter of Abram and Catherine Cole Adams, to which union have been born five children, viz; Arthur A., Albert and George W., all deceased; Frederick H. and Frank T. Mr. Leete is a member of the I. O. O. F., and in politics, a stanch Republican.
ELPHEUS BUTTON was one of the early settlers of Tioga county, Pennsylvania, having located in Middlebury township about 1820. He was born February 7, 1787, and died March 26, 1870, in the eighty-fourth year of his age. He married Betsey Hill, to which union were born the following children: Jehiel, Jefferson and Charles, all deceased; William, a resident of Keeneyville; Hiram, a farmer of Middlebury township; Ralph, deceased; Polly, widow of P. V. Houghtaling: Harvey, a retired farmer; Henry, Alonzo and Melissa, all of whom are dead, and Miles, a resident of Hornellsville, New York. Mrs. Button died March 30, 1869, aged eighty years.
HARVEY BUTTON was born in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, July 19, 1827, eighth child of Elpheus and Betsey Button. He attended the pioneer schools of his neighborhood, and subsequently engaged in farming, which he followed until 1892. He then sold his farm to his son, Charley B., and now lives with his son, Ellis P., in Chatham township. He married Emily Hamm, in 1852, and has three children, viz; Marshall, of Chatham township; Charley B., of Middlebury, and Ellis P., a resident of Chatham. Mrs. Button died on June 21, 1889, in her fifty-eight year.
CHARLEY B. BUTTON, a son of Harvey Button, and grandson of Elpheus Button, was born in Middlebury township, Tioga county, August 16, 1859. He worked on the home farm until his twenty-fourth year, and then found employment in the Niles Valley tannery four years. He later followed lumbering one year, and in March 1890, purchased the old homestead of eighty acres from his father. He cultivated this farm for two years in a retail grain and feed store. At the end of this time he returned to his farm in Middlebury, and has since devoted his attention to agriculture. On July 21, 1883, Mr. Button married Helen L. Brown, a daughter of Orlando and Jane A. (Marvin) Brown. Her father was born in Thompkins county, New York in 1829, came to Tioga county in 1853, and followed stationary engineering and farming to the time of his death. Her mother reared three children, viz; Helen L, Lilllie A., wife of E. B. Chambers of Newark, New Jersey, and H. Arthur, the last of whom resides with his mother in Middlebury township. To Mr. And Mrs. Button has been born one child, Alma L., who died in infancy. They have an adopted son, George H. White, born April 6, 1884. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and also of the K. & L. O. T. M. Mr. Button is also connected with the I. O. O. F., and the P. of H., and in politics, a supporter of the Republican party.
SALA COLE was born in Windham, Vermont, there grew to manhood and married Sallie Stevens, who bore him seven children, six of whom grew to maturity, viz; Herber, Maria, Adaline, Sallie, Catherine and A. Clark. In the summer of 1824 the family came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and settled on a farm near Hammond, in Middlebury township. Here Mr. Cole and wife passed the remaining years of their lives.
HEBER COLE, eldest child of Sala and Sallie Cole, was born in Windham, Vermont, September 13, 1802, there grew to maturity, and in February, 1824, came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, preceding the other members of the family a few months. He worked three years for fifty acres of timber land, on which he located, clearing and improving what is now known as Cole homestead. On April 17, 1836, he married Louisa Stevens, a daughter of Martin and Polly Stevens. She was born in Vermont, May 12, 1813, and became the mother of six children, viz: Celestia M., born February 9, 1837, and died August 25, 1858; George L., born December 25, 1838, a farmer in Middlebury; Oscar E., born May 10, 1841, and died May 5, 1864; Katie, who died in infancy; Eveline S., born July 2, 1843, and died November 14, 1848, and Delia E., born August 8, 1849, wife of W. D. Simmons, of Middlebury township. Mrs. Cole died on November 17, 1863, and April 16, 1865, he married Mrs. Charlotte Welch. Mr. Cole followed farming all his life, and died on his farm in Middlebury, August 24, 1891. His widow resides in Tioga. In politics, a Republican, he was collector of the township in 1840, and was a liberal, active and successful man.
GEORGE I. COLE was born on his present farm at Hammond, in Middlebury township, Tioga county, December 25, 1838, obtained a common school education, and has always followed farming. June 4, 1864, he married Laura A. White, a daughter of George While, of Farmington township, to which union have been born three children, viz; Oscar E., a farmer of Middlebury; Celestia M., and Katie I., both of whom died in 1884. Mr. And Mrs. Cole are members of the First Baptist church, at Hammond, in which he fills the office of deacon. Politically, he is a Republican. He owns a farm of 130 acres one mile north of the old homestead, which is cultivated by his son, and is one of the successful farmers of his native township.
EBENEZER FERRY, a native of Massachusetts, whose ancestors came from England to America at an early day, was one of the first settlers of Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He served in the War of 1812, from Massachusetts, and in 1818 purchased a farm near Tioga, in Tioga township, where he and wife both died at a ripe old age. He married a Miss Bruce, of Massachusetts, and they were the parents of seven children, all of whom are dead, viz: Valona, Permelia, Louisa, Fidelia, Sally, Chauncey and Charles.
CHAUNCEY FERRY was born in Massachusetts, April 3, 1800, and was the eldest son of Ebenezer Ferry. He was eighteen years old when the family came to Tioga county, and having received a good education in his native state, followed school teaching in this county for several years. He later purchased a farm in Sullivan township, cultivated it for a few years, and then sold out and bought one in Middlebury township. Soon after he sold this also and purchased a property in Tioga township, whence he removed into Charleston township, where he bought quite a large tract of land. His wife, Stella, was a daughter of Samuel Van Gorder, of Lawrence township, and bore him a family of eight children, viz: Catherine, deceased wife of Alfred Schieffelin; Charles D., a farmer of Charleston; Sarah, wife of James Mack of Elmira, New York; Mary, deceased wife of George Kohler; Robert B., of Middlebury; Hannah, wife of Dennis Goraline, of Kansas; Elizabeth, wife of Theodore Wright, of Philadelphia, and one that died in infancy. The parents spent the remaining years of their lives in Charleston township, both dying on the old homestead.
ROBERT BRUCE FERRY was born near Tioga, Tioga county, August 8, 1838, youngest son of Chauncey Ferry. He worked at home until twenty-one years of age, and then found employment in the lumber woods until the breaking out of the war. On September 17, 1861, he enlisted at Wellsboro, in Company L, Second Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served in many of the fiercest battles of the war, such as Standardville, Rappahannock Station, Second Bull Run, Brandy Station, Germantown, Gettysburg, Aldee, Middleburgh, Mine Run, Wilderness, Siege of Petersburg, etc. His horse was shot from under him June 23, 1863, near Middleburgh, and he was severely injured by the fall. He was successively promoted to the first duty sergeant, orderly sergeant, second lieutenant, and captain. In the spring of 1863 he was detailed as guide for the Seventh Michigan Cavalry, and was discharged at Brandy Station, December 16, 1863. He re-enlisted the following day in his old company, and served until mustered out, June 26, 1865. Returning to his home in Tioga county, he cultivated a rented farm for a short time, and then bought one on Losey Creek, in Middlebury township. After living upon it three years, he sold it and purchased a farm in Richmond township, which he cultivated four years. Selling out he went to Kansas, but returned to this county at the end of a year, and worked rented farms for eight years. In the spring of 1890 he bought his present home at Niles Valley, where he makes a specialty of tobacco growing. Mr. Ferry was married February 1, 1866, to Flora Wilson, a daughter of Luther and Amarett (Upton) Wilson. She was born at Stoddard, New Hampshire, April 28, 1841, and has three children, viz: Leon B., an attorney at Wellsboro; Ralph W., a medical student, and Clive C. The family attends the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics support the Republican party. Mr. Ferry is a member of the K, of H., and the G. A. R.
REUBEN TOWER PALMER was born in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, in 1814, a son of Abram and Hannah Palmer. His father was a native of Vermont, whence he removed to Bradford county at an early day, coming to Tioga county about 1830 and locating on a farm in Middlebury township, where both he and his wife died. They were the parents of thirteen children, Reuben T. being the eighth in the family. He was reared on a farm, and first came to Tioga county in boyhood to burn charcoal. In 1835 he purchased a farm in Middlebury township, and hence forth devoted his attention to agriculture. He subsequently married Mary Ayres, a daughter of Marcus Ayers, of Bradford county, lived in that county for a short period, and then took up his residence on his farm in Middlebury. Nine children were born to Reuben T. and Mary Palmer, as follows; Otis G., a resident of Michigan; Chauncey King, deceased; Addie, wife of William Carr, of Michigan; Delila, deceased wife of William Holt; Emma, wife of James Shutter, of Tioga township; Hannah, deceased; Alzuma, wife of Silas Holt, of Canton, New York; Lucian B., of Farmington township, and Laura, wife of Orson Daggett. Mr. Palmer died March 31, 1893. His widow is in her eightieth year, having been born September 11, 1817.
CHAUNCEY KING PALMER, second son of Reuben T. Palmer, and grandson of Abram Palmer, was born in Granville, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, December 12, 1840. He was reared in Middlebury township, obtained a common school education, and when eighteen years old went into the lumber woods as a teamster. He was later employed as a farm hand until the breaking out of the war. April 22, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Sixth Pennsylvania Reserve, under Capt. Julius Sherwood, and participated in the following battles: Ball’s Bluff, Dranisville, Seven Days Fight before Richmond, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Second Bull Run, and Gettysburg. He was wounded at Antietam, and was finally discharged at Washington, D. C., July 18, 1864. In May, 1875, he purchased a farm of 115 acres, northeast of Keeneyville, on which he resided until his death, November 30, 1896. Mr. Palmer was married May 10, 1881, to Jane Cloos, a daughter of Newbury Cloos, Jr., of Middlebury township, and left one son, Harry N. Politically, he was a Republican, and in religion, a zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He was also a member of Alfred Toles Post, G. A. R., and of Middlebury Grange, and was highly respected by the community in which the greater portion of his life was spent.
MARTIN STEVENS was born in Warwick, Franklin county, Massachusetts, September 8, 1776. His father, Martin Stevens, came with two brothers from England to America prior to the Revolution and located in Rhode Island, whence he removed to Massachusetts. His mother, Deborah, was a native of the latter state, where she met and married Martin Stevens, Sr. The subject of this sketch followed milling in his native state, and came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1827, locating on a farm a short distance above Tioga village. Three years later he removed to Middlebury township, and purchased a portion of the present Stevens farm to which he subsequently added by purchase. He was married in 1798, to Polly Gale, a native of Warwick, Massachusetts, born February 18, 1777. Eleven children were born to this union, viz; Emory, Polly, Sally, Melinda, Martin, Abram, Louisa, Daniel G., Ezra L., Alvira M. and Clarissa P., all of whom are dead except Alvira M., widow of Dr. Joel Rose. The parents died upon the old homestead in Middlebury township.
DANIEL G. STEVENS was born in Townsend, Windham county, Vermont, July 10, 1816, son of Martin Stevens, and came to Tioga county with his parents when about eleven years old. He received a common school education, and followed teaching for a time. He worked upon the home farm for some years, and later engaged extensively in lumbering, but in later life became a farmer. He was a good businessman, and was fairly successful. In politics, a Republican, he filled all of the township offices at different periods, and served one term as county commissioner. He was also a very active member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and a stockholder in the Wellsboro and Tioga plank road. Mr. Stevens was married October 9, 1843, to Eveline Dunham, of Albany, New York, born January 15, 1820. Five children were the fruits of this union, viz; Horace L., of Middlebury; Clara M., widow of J. O. W. Bailey, of Mansfield; Walter B., and Adele L., both of whom died in early youth, and Ada B., wife of John A. McLean, of Hammond. Mr. Stevens died on May 28, 1875,and his wife, September 13, 1895.
HORACE LEROY STEVENS, oldest child of Daniel G. Stevens, was born on his present farm in Middlebury township, December 19, 1847. After attending the district schools of his native township, he entered the State Normal School of Mansfield, and later Clinton Liberal Institute, Clinton, New York. He has always remained on the homestead farm, and at his father’s death purchased the interest of the other heirs. This farm originally embraced 520 acres, of which he has since sold 290 acres. At one time he devoted his attention to hop growing, but it proved a failure, and he has since been engaged quite extensively in lumbering and tobacco growing. On December 25, 1871, he married Augusta N. Bailey, a daughter of Cephas and Caroline (Wright) Bailey. She was born in Peru, Vermont, November 12, 1831, and has three children, Grace M., Daniel G. and Ezra B. Mr. Stevens and wife are members of the Universalist church, and he is also connected with the I. O. O. F., and the P. of H. societies. In politics, a Republican, he has been a school director for eleven years, and is one of the leading farmers of his native township.
JOSEPH E. LYON was born in Chemung county, New York, in 1810, a son of Augustus and Mary (Bennett) Lyon, natives of Massachusetts, who came from New York state to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1831, and purchased a farm at Niles Valley, where the parents passed the remaining years of their lives. He obtained a good education, and followed the profession of teacher many years. He came to Tioga county with his parents, and for more than twenty years taught at the district schools of the neighborhood, and also assisted in cultivating the home farm. After his father’s death his mother sold the farm at Niles Valley and purchased the present Lyon farm, which at her death became the property of the sons of Joseph E. Lyon by the will of their grandmother. Here he continued to follow agricultural pursuits up to his death, January 6, 1888. He married Martha Ives, a daughter of Roswell Ives, of Middlebury, to which marriage were born eight children, as follows: Augustus, who enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was captured and died of starvation at Salisbury prison, North Carolina; Mary, widow of Delan Catlin, of Charleston township; Henry, and Abram, both residents of Middlebury; Sarah, wife of Lorenzo Catlin, of the same township; John, who enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and died of starvation in Salisbury prison; Lydia, wife of Orlando Jones, of Charleston; and Bennett, a resident of Wellsboro. Mrs. Lyon died in 1883. Mr. Lyon was a well-known farmer of Middlebury, and took an active interest in the public schools of the township, filling the office of school director many years.
ABRAM LYON was born at Niles Valley, Tioga county, March 14,
1839, a son of Joseph E. Lyon. He remained with his parents until twenty-one
years of age, when he began for himself by working in the lumber woods
of his native county. On April 22, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Sixth
Pennsylvania Reserve, being the first man to enlist in Niles Valley. He
served in the battle of Drainsville, and was then taken sick, and spent
a long period in the hospital. He was discharged in the autumn of 1862,
and returned home to regain his health. The following summer he enlisted
in Company A, One Hundred and Eighty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and
took part in the battles of the Mines, Weldon Railroad, and Petersburg.
He was discharged at Harrisburg, in September, 1865, and returned to his
home in Middlebury, where he continued to work on his farm until his father’s
death. He purchased the interest of the other heirs, and thus became the
sole owner of the old homestead. On September 12, 1872, Mr. Lyon married
Almira Adamy, a daughter of Sylvester E. and Roxina (Brown) Adamy, natives
of New York. She was the second in a family of eight children, and was
born January 16, 1854. To Mr. And Mrs. Lyon have been born two children,
viz; John J. and Bertha E.. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and in politics, adherents of the Republican party. Mr. Lyon is
a member of the G. A. R., and one of the well-known citizens of his native