Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Seven Counties History - Tioga County PA
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
From AN OUTLINE HISTORY of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND CITIES"
ReTyped for Tri-Counties by Barbara COMSTOCK Coy and Pat Raymond. Book Submitted by Walt Samson
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
Schools and Churches of the Tri-Counties
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce 
Photo by Joyce M. Tice
HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company, Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.
Elkland Borough

Elkland borough was formed in May, 1850.

The township of Elkland was one of the oldest townships in Tioga County, having been formed in the year 1814 from Delmar. By gradual disintegration it was cut up into various townships, until there remained of its large territory only what is now embraced in the borough of Elkland , and when that borough was formed, Elkland township was absorbed and ceased to exist. Elkland is situated in the very garden of the Cowanesque valley, and surrounded by an excellent farming country. The valley of the Cowanesque broadens at this point, forming a basin of land unexcelled in the county. The Elkland and Lawrenceville railroad, now operated under the management of the Corning, Cowanesque and Antrim Railroad, was completed from Lawrenceville to Elkland, in Sept., 1873, and for ten years remained the terminus of that road. This made Elkland a great shipping and receiving point for localities west of it, up the Cowanesque Valley and into Potter County, Pa. It stimulated business of every kind. In 1882, the Addison and Northern Pennsylvania R. R. was constructed from Addison and thence westward up the valley to Westfield, thence southward to Pine Creek. This road added largely to the shipping facilities of the citizens of Elkland. The same year the Fall Brook Coal Co., which controlled the Corning, Cowanesque and Antrim road extended their road to Harrison Valley, It contains two hotels, two churches, bank, newspaper office, graded school, several industrial establishments, two depots, telephone and two telegraph offices, tannery, number of stores, etc.

Leander Culver built the first hotel in 1836.

Col. Lemuel Davenport built the first flouring mill.

Hon. Benjamin Dorrance died June 26th, 1881 aged 45 years

Large quantities of tobacco are raised in and about Elkland.

The first store was opened in 1824, by John Ryan and Robert Tubbs.

Joel Parkhurst settled in Elkland, in 1828 and engaged in mercantile pursuits.

Hon. Geo. Dorrance settled in Elkland, in 1829. Died June 13, 1881, aged 79 years.

Elkland Furniture Manufactory established in 1883, O. Pattison, superintendent and manager.

One of the most active business men of Elkland is Mr. C. L. Pattison, son-in-law of the late Joel Parkhurst.

One of the wealthiest citizens of Tioga County, was the late Joel Parkhurst, of Elkland, who died in December 1884, aged 84 years.

The elegant graded school building, costing $6,000 was the gift of Joel Parkhurst, Esq., to the school authorities of the borough of Elkland.

Early settler of Elkland were George, Dorrance, David Hammond, Lemuel Davenport, Robert Tubbs, Benjamin Tubbs and Leander Culver.