History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
GREELEY P. VOORHIS, farmer, of Springfield township, P. O. Big Pond, was born July 9, 1856, in Springfield, son of John and Helena (Hosley) Voorhis, natives of Springfield. His father was a farmer, and died, at the age of thirty-five years, June 2, 1863, and the mother died, at the age of thirty-five years, September 15, 1857. Our subject was the only son by his father’s first marriage; he was educated in the schools of the township and became a farmer. March 30, 1886, he married Alice, daughter of Theodore and Mary (Brooks) Watson, who was born December 17, 1859. Her father was born in Greene, Chenango Co., N.Y., December 26, 1828, and his parents were John H. and Maria (Upham) Watson. Mrs. Watson was born at East Hampton, Conn., and came here when fourteen years of age. Mr. Watson is a general merchant at Big Pond; is a Republican and a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. Voorhis’ grandfather was one of the first settlers in the township, and died here, at the age of eighty years, November 19, 1861; and his father, John K., died at the age of sixty-eight years, on November 4, 1872. Mrs. Voorhis was an only child, and was educated in the schools of the township and at Smithfield graded school, and was a teacher from the time she was sixteen years of age until her marriage. They have no children. Mr. Voorhis owns a fine farm of about sixty acres, which he has under a good state of cultivation. He is a Republican in politics, has been a constable and collector in the township; is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is a man much respected by his friends.
WILLIAM E. VOORHIS, merchant, of East Smithfield, was born November 17, 1832 in Springfield, Bradford Co., Pa., a son of James and Charlotte (Wilson) Voorhis, the former of whom was a native of New York, and the latter of Massachusetts. The father, who was a carpenter and builder, came to Springfield when a young man and took up farming. William E., who is the eldest in a family of seven children, five of whom are living, was reared on his father’s farm, remaining there until twenty-five years ago, when he came to East Smithfield and commenced in the manufacturing and dealing of furniture. He was married, September 10, 1845, to Nancy M., daughter of Asher Huntington (she was born May 14, 1827, in Vernon, Conn.), and they have had born to them four children, two of whom are living: Clarence born August 3, 1847, married to Celia Burt; Wilson F., born June 4, 1856, married to Carrie Cowell. The sons are partners in business with their father, and Wilson is present postmaster. Mr. Voorhis continued in the furniture business ten years, then commenced in his present business, that of a general merchant. He is a member of the Freemasons and of the I. O. O. F., as is also his son Wilson. Both father and sons are Republicans. Mrs. Voorhis is a member of the Universalist Church.
FRANK M. VOUGHT, farmer and dairyman, P. O. Towanda, was born July 24, 1847, a son of Edward and Lydia (Horton) Vought, natives of this county, and whose grandparents were also reared in this State; the family have always been tillers of the soil. Frank M. Vought is the third in a family of eight children, as follows: Joseph M., Lewis G., Frank M., Hannah M., Edward M., Charlotte M., Charles S. and Emerson W., all of whom grew to maturity, six still living in this county. Mr. Vought was married, November 20, 1872 to Maretta J. Gillett, who was born August 22, 1851, daughter of Lewis and Jemima (Shores) Gillett, the former of whom was a native of Connecticut, and the latter of Pennsylvania. Mr. And Mrs. Vought are the parents of three children, viz.: Ruth, who died at the age of five years; Emerson W., born on September 23, 1883; and Ethel May, born May 2, 1886. Mr. Vought was born and reared in this county, and lived on his father’s farm the early part of his life; then taught school several years. He is now the owner of an excellent farm in Shesquehin township, in a fine state of cultivation. Mr. And Mrs. Vought were visiting in their early married life with calamity which came nearly destroying the life of the latter: On January 16, 1875, at midnight, they were awakened by the house being on fire, and Mrs. Vought, who was very ill, was carried out on a feather bed, along with little Ruth, who was but five days old, into the snow, which was two feet deep, whereby her health was so impaired that she has never fully recovered. The family are devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, are active in the Sunday-school, and are very genial, agreeable people. Mr. Vought is a Republican, and takes an active interest in public affairs.
AMOS P. WALCOTT, farmer, of Litchfield township, P. O. Litchfield, was born in that township, May 20, 1826, son of Elijah and Elizabeth Walcott, the former of whom was born at Penn’s Valley, Pa., in 1770, and the latter in Luzerne county, Pa., in 1778. Elijah W. settled in this county in 1807; his wife, Elizabeth, was the daughter of Thomas Park, who came from Connecticut and settled in the Wyoming Valley. Mr. Park married Mrs. Heady, who resided in the Valley, and was there during the Wyoming massacre; Thomas being absent at the time serving his country under Washington. Two years subsequent to this event he purchased 400 acres of land in Litchfield, where with others under Sullivan he drove the Indians Westward. Elijah W. was the father of twelve children, all of whom grew to maturity, Amos P. being the tenth in the family; he was reared on the old homestead, and educated at the common school. In September 1851, he was married to Esther J., daughter of Lemuel and Harriet Munn, of Litchfield. This union was blessed with four children, as follows: Countess D., married to Sylvester K. Walcott; Prentice W., married to Ruth, daughter of John and Phoebe Haddock; Marion L., married to Franklin I. Decker; and Viola C., who married Iram David. In early life Mr. Walcott was extensively engaged in lumbering; during his lifetime he held many town offices, such as commissioner, auditor, judge of elections and at one time was a candidate for the Legislature. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., at various times holding the different offices of the Lodge, and in politics he is a Democrat, and holds a lieutenant-colonel’s commission, appointed by Gov. William Bigler.
H. EUGENE WALDO, miller, Wyalusing, was born in Berkshire, Tioga Co., N.Y., August 20, 1839, a son of Orson and Lydia (Waldo) Waldo, who were born in the same house and in the same year (1802) in Berkshire, N.Y. The Waldo family originated in France about the middle of the twelfth century; they left there on account of the Huguenot persecutions, and settled in the Netherlands about 1569-70. About 1650 Cornelius came to America and settled in Chelmsford, Mass. He married Hannah Coggswell, and had five children, and died June 3, 1701. Of his children, John, the eldest, is the branch through which Eugene Waldo descended. John was born in Chelmsford, Mass., about 1653, and married Rebecca Adams, the same line as John Adams, late ex-President of the United States. He died in 1700, having had seven children, of whom Edward, the second son, is the ancestor of our subject. He was born in Chelmsford, Mass., in 1683 and at Windham, Conn., in 17--, married Thankfull Dimmock, of Mansfield, Conn., and had ten children. His ninth son, Zacheus, is the line of our subject’s ancestors, and was born in Windham, Conn., July 19, 1725, married Tabitha Kingsbury, and had eleven children, the second, John, being this branch of the family. He was born in Windham, Conn., April 22, 1750, was a physician and resided at Coventry, Conn., and married Lucy Lyman, August 19, 1773; he was a surgeon in Col. Huntington’s regiment of State Militia, in 1775, and probably served during the Revolution; he had six children, from two of whom our subject is descended, viz.: John, Jr., the second child, who was our subject’s grandfather, and Lyman, the eldest, who was our subject’s mother’s father. Orson, or subject’s father, was born March 17, 1802, and his wife, Lydia, was born May 25, 1802; they had the following children: Lucius Alva, Arthur Tappan, Reynold Heber, and Herbert Eugene. Orson was a mill-wright and worked at his trade, and built numerous mills in northwestern New York, and invented various appliances for use in mills, among which was a water wheel patented during Jackson’s administration. Our subject was educated in the common schools and at Waverly Academy, and at the age of seventeen began work as a mill-wright with his father; he worked with his father and brother until after his marriage, and then started out for himself. He has built mills in all sections of northwestern New York, and in 1871 took charge of a mill owned by Otis G. Parker, at Moravia, N.Y., and was there three years; then rented the Stone Mill at Moravia, where he remained until April 6, 1880, when he came to Wyalusing, and assumed charge of the Welles mills, where he has since remained. He married, June 21, 1865, Lucy Ann, daughter of Joseph A. and Lucy Hendel (Bell) Armstrong. Her parents had a family of seven children: Jasper (deceased), who was for a number of years general superintendent of the water supply for the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad; Millicent (deceased); Ruth J., married to John W. Hollenback, a traveling sales man o f Owego, N.Y.; Fendall, resides in the West; Lucy Ann; Addie W., married to C. W. Hemenway, a merchant of Owego, N.Y.; and Charles H., who died in infancy. To Mr. and Mrs. Waldo have been born the following children: Jessie Gertrude, born September 29, 1867, married, May 2, 1886, to Frederick Armstrong, of Athens; Edward, born November 26, 1868, a clerk, married, June 25, 1891, to Jennie Carpenter, of Wyalusing; Lucius J., born July 1, 1873, clerk; Earnest E., born November 22, 1877, Nettie A., born March 6, 1881; and Raymond W., born February 1, 1890. He and his wife are both members of the Presbyterian Church of Wyalusing; he is a member of the F. & A. M., Sylvan Lodge, No. 41, Moravia, N.Y.; politically he is a Republican.
JOSEPH G. WALDRON, farmer, Smithfield township, P.O. Hoblet, born August 13, 1845, son of Billings and Jane (Gray) Waldron, natives of Bristol, R.I., who came to this county in 1837. Joseph was one of eleven children, five of whom are living; he was reared on his father’s farm. On February 9, 1873, he was married to Ella, daughter of John J. and Mary Jane (Riley) Woodin, early settlers of Burlington (she was born August 27, 1854, and is a member of the Baptist Church). They have had born to them four children, three of whom are now living, as follows: Bertha, born August 7, 1874; Grace, born June 17, 1881; and Ruth, born September 11, 1888. Mr. Waldron is a member of the F. & A. M., Lodge No. 428, is a Republican and takes an active interest in politics.
WILLIAM N. WALDRON, farmer, Smithfield township, P.O. Hoblet, born in Bristol, R.I., May 29, 1835, a son of Billings and Jane (Gray) Waldron, also natives of Bristol, R.I., of English descent. His paternal grandfather was a colonel in the Revolutionary War, as was also his grandfather, Gray. Mr. Waldron’s father came to Smithfield township in 1837, and settled near where William now lives. William N. Waldron is the eldest in a family of eleven children, five of whom are still living. He enlisted, at the commencement of the Civil War, in Company F, Sixth Pennsylvania Reserves Volunteers, in which he served until 1862, when he was transferred to Battery B, First Pennsylvania Artillery; he was wounded severely in June, 1862, and the following January was discharged, on account of disability caused by the wound. He was married, April 25, 18636, to Hannah, daughter of James Phillips, who was born in Broome county, N.Y., October 31, 1830; they have an adopted daughter, wife of Charles K. Burnside. Mr. Waldron has a fine farm, under good state of cultivation, and has been an extensive dealer in stock for the last fifteen years; he is a member of the G.A.R., and is a Republican in politics; he has held several positions of public trust, and has been school director nine years. The family are members of the Congregational Church of East Smithfield, Bradford county.
CHARLES W. WALKER, general merchant, Monroeton, was born September 1, 1842, in Painted Post, N.Y., a son of Delinius and Catherine (Keeney) Walker, and is of Scotch descent. He was reared in Tioga county, Pa., where he received a common-school education, and took a commercial course at Elmira, N.Y. He was in the Civil War, enlisting August 26, 1860, in Company F, Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, participating in the battles of the regiment, and between June and August, 1864, was in a fight every day – in all twenty-six engagements. He was discharged August 26, 1864. Since the War Mr. Walker has been engaged in mercantile business principally. He has spent thirteen years in Monroeton, where he located in 1878. On November 26, 1868, he married Sarah, daughter of Rev. Enoch and Parmelia (Griggs) Cranmer, of an old family of Monroeton. This union was blessed with two children; Fred E. and Maud A. Politically our subject is a Republican; he is a member of the G.A.R. and K. of H., was school director and treasurer of Monroeton several times.
EDMUND L. WALKER, farmer and breeder of blooded stock, P.O. Ulster, was born in Ulster township, Bradford Co., Pa., December 16, 1845, and is a son of Daniel and Mary Ann (Lockwood) Walker, of German and English origin, respectively. His grandfather, who was a mill-wright, spelled the name Walger, and from the corruption of that name comes Walker; he built a mill at Seeling’s Grove, at the beginning of the present century, when Indians were more numerous than whites, and when going to mill was equal to a journey across the continent to-day. As soon as the mill was completed he leased it and a large tract of land for one hundred years, and of late years there has been a controversy over this property, in which Mr. Walker is interested, but on account of the changes in the names they have been unable to trace anything definite. The farm Mr. Walker now owns consists of 165 acres, and is a part of the old Lockwood estate. He attended the schools of Ulster, and secured quite a fair education, and taught a short time. In 1872 he went to Michigan and purchased a tract of timber land, and erected mills and opened a lumber camp, but sold it, and after two years’ residence there returned and purchased what is known as the Col. Wells land, cleared 300 acres of stump land, and made a fine farm of it, after which he returned to Ulster and engaged in the breeding of Jersey cattle, and has the finest herd in this section of the State. He also devotes attention to breeding trotting horses, and owns two Don Cossack stallions, mahogany bays, and which show all the points of speed, pluck and endurance for which the Wilkes strain is famous. He married Della, daughter of Benjamin and Mary (Shackelton) Park, natives of this county, May 8, 1872. Her grandfather, Daniel Park, was one of the first board of commissioners, and helped frame the first tax list for Bradford county. They have one child, Della. Mrs. Walker is a member of the Order of the Iron Hall, and fills the chair of vice justice; also of the Equitable Aid Union, and is a member of the finance committee. Politically he is a Republican. His father was the first officer from Ulster township, coroner, and is a member of the board of school directors, which office he has held a number of terms.
ZEPHON FLOWER WALKER is the fourth child of the union between George Walker, Jr., and Zulimma W. Walker (nee Flower), and was born at Factoryville (now East Waverly), Tioga Co., N.Y., July 1, 1824. His paternal grandfather, George Walker (in the vulgate Walger), was of German nationality. Tradition is that he was one of a colony of Germans that migrated from central New York, near the source of the Susquehanna river, by boats down the same, and settled in central Pennsylvania, now Nescopeck, where he bought 400 acres of land, and being a miller by trade constructed a gristmill near the mouth of the Nescopeck creek. Soon after the completion of the mill, the same was destroyed by a flood. Next we find him at Salem, Luzerne county, same State, where he purchased a tract of land of Wm. Gray, of Philadelphia, and here erected another mill, which in the course of a few years met the same fate as the mil at Nescopeck. During this interval his wife had died and he married again. Becoming discouraged by constant reverses, he sold out his property here, or, as is averred by his son Henry, also his daughter Mary, he leased the property to Jacob Schaffer for ninety-nine years, on a money consideration which was paid in silver, being counted out into the grandmother’s apron on the eve of their departure from this place. But no lease of record of this transaction can be found. In about 1787 or 1788 he moved form Salem up the Susquehanna river by what was then called "Durham Boats" (propelled by men pushing the boats with setting poles), his family and household goods being sent by that conveyance, and his stock by overland route. He sojourned until he passed the line between the States of Pennsylvania and New York, where he struck camp at a place on the west side of the Susquehanna river, known as the "Isaac Raymond farm" in Ellistown, about two miles east of Waverly, N.Y., and where the Hannas settled. Remaining here for a short time, he purchased, in the township of Nichols, 480 acres of "Patent No. 1", adjoining the State line on the east side of the river, and moved thereon, cleared up the land and carried on the distilling business, becoming successful in all his undertakings. Next he purchased 500 acres on Cayuta creek, known as the "Cantine lot on the Thomas tract", which was adjacent to Waverly corporation and in East Waverly, and constructed another gristmill, which he successfully operated until his death in 1812. His family by his first wife were: Peter (who was drowned in Rocky Riff, Luzerne county, Pa.), Jacob, Daniel, and a daughter who married a Mr. Reap; by his second wife the children were: Betsy, Mary and Henry (born at Salem, Pa.), and Samuel, Elias, George and John (born in Nichols, N.Y.). His son George, who was the father of our subject, was born March 3, 1795 at Nichols, N.Y., and died February 14, 1837; was married November 1, 1817, to Zulimma W. Flower, who was born April 6, 1800, and died September 1, 1852. To them were born Glencarn, Leanora, Leander, Zephon Flower (the subject of this sketch), Thaddeus S., Helen V., George C. and Portia Z., all living yet except Glencarn, Leonora, Helen V. and Portia Z. The mother was a daughter of Maj. Zephon Flower, a Revolutionary patriot, who was of English nationality, and a descendant of the family who gave the first school teacher to Philadelphia under the Colonial government. He was born at Hartford, Conn., November 30, 1765; on March 28, 1785, he was married to Mary Patrick, a lady of Irish nationality, who was born at Valentine, Conn., December 25, 1765, and died at Athens, March 5, 1848. They reared a large family who settled in various localities of the United States, and are now all dead except Ithurael, who lives at Oshkosh, Wis., and is now ninety-four years old.
The childhood of the subject of this sketch was passed where he was born until he had reached the age of eight years, when he was adopted into the family of his mother’s brother, Nathaniel Flower, where he was schooled in the old Franklin school-house near Athens village, when schools were open, and assisted about the farm when there was no school, until about 1840, when he took an academical course in Athens Academy. At the age of nineteen he commenced land surveying under direction of his grandfather, Maj. Flower, and the first lot surveyed was for Henry Mitten, in the town of Herrick, Pa. This and civil engineering have been his vocation since. He has made more surveys in Bradford, Sullivan, Lycoming and Tioga counties, Pa., and Tioga county, N.Y. than any other surveyor in these counties. His first work as an engineer was on assisting in the location of the old North Branch Canal from Athens to State line. He entered the survey of the location of the, then, Athens & Ithaca Railroad, now the Ithaca Branch of the Lehigh Valley Railroad, being on the same form its inception to its final completion. Soon after this he laid out and staked the, now, borough of Sayre, besides many other works in the engineering line. He entered the service as engineer and draughtsman for the Lehigh Valley Railroad, Northern Division, January 21, 1882, and is in that position now. He has made many maps of land surveys as well as of railroads, both right of way and mechanical. In 1850 he made a very elaborate map of the subdivision of the Decatur Lands, situated in Litchfield, Sheshequin, Rome, Windham, Herrick and Pike townships, covering some 14,000 acres cut up in fifty and one-hundred acre lots, which were sent to Belgium, Europe, for the owner, Mr. Decatur. During this time Mr. Walker carried on his farm on which he lives and was brought up on since his adoption by his uncle, Capt. Flower. His uncle, Capt. Nathaniel Flower, purchased the homestead part of the late Col. John Franklin farm in the spring of 1834, and at his death, September 8, 1852, he bequeathed the same by will to the subject of this sketch. It is on this farm that Col. John Franklin and his wife, as well as Maj. Zephon Flower and his wife, Capt. Nathaniel Flower and his wife, and Heloisa, daughter of Maj. Flower, are buried, and neat marble upright flags mark their resting-places; and the community can esteem the benevolence of Capt. Nathaniel Flower who (though no way related) paid for, from his own fund, and placed the stones to mark the place of burial of Col. Franklin and wife. Mr. Walker politically was a Whig until the break up to f the parties, when he identified himself with the Republicans for two years; but, their views not agreeing with his, he went over to the Democrats and stands firm with them to-day. Posts of honor, politically, he has never sought, although he has served and filled his share of the local offices of the town. Among other distant relatives in New York is Roswell P. Flower, governor-elect of that State.
Z. F. Walker was married, August 9, 1854, at Seneca, Mich., to Rebecca M., daughter of Amos and Cynthia Franklin, and great-granddaughter of Col. John Franklin. Amos Franklin was a son of Billa Franklin, whose father was Col. John Franklin. Cynthia Franklin (nee McKinney) was a daughter of Henry and Rebecca McKinney, who had a settlement in Athens as early as 1788. The results of the union of Z.R. and R. M. Walker have been: Frank Z., Nathaniel F., Alfred I., Clara, Ada and Helena, and all are living.
GEORGE W.T. WARBURTON, farmer, LeRoy township, P.O. LeRoy, was born in Elkland, Sullivan Co., Pa., November 13, 1849, a son of Jesse and Elizabeth (Brown) Warburton, the former a native of Liverpool, England, and the latter of Wilton, same country. They came to this country in 1816, locating in Sullivan county, but removed to Bradford county in 1853. Mr. Warburton died in 1872, Mrs. Warburton in 1884. Their family consisted of four children—two sons and two daughters—all of whom grew to maturity. The subject of these lines, who is the youngest, was reared and educated in LeRoy. In early life he was engaged in the jeweler’s trade almost ten years. On July 19, 1882, he was married at Granville to Ettie B., daughter of Philander and Rebecca Foster, and this union has been blessed with one son and one daughter: Arthur T., born December 10, 1883, and Sarah Ann, born June 27, 1887. Mr. Warburton is a farmer of considerable ability, and has always lived o the old homestead of only sixty acres; he has two carp ponds, one of which is stocked; last year he sold over twenty-six dollars worth of young carp. His farming is general, and he raises considerable wool; he holds the office of Meteorological Observer for the United States. He is a deacon in the Baptist Church; in politics he is a Republican, and is auditor.
O. P. Ward, farmer, P.O. Alba, is a native of Canton township, this county, born June 23, 1835, a son of Eliphalet and Polly (Case) Ward, natives of Connecticut and Vermont, respectively. Eliphalet Ward was a farmer and an early settler of Canton township. He served in the War of 1812, and died in August, 1865, in his seventy-sixth year. Mrs. Ward died in April, 1876, in her eighty-fourth year. The paternal grandfathers were in the Revolutionary War. The subject of this sketch, who is the youngest in order of birth in a family of eleven children, was reared in Canton township, receiving his education in the common schools, and has made farming his occupation. He enlisted, August 24, 1861, for three years in Company F, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, under Capt. B.B. Mitchell; took part in the battles of Petersburg, Wilson’s Raid and Deserted House, and was in many skirmishes; was mustered in Fox, Sullivan Co., Pa., April 1, 1866, to Paulina, daughter of Aaron and Julia (Burdick) Wright, natives of Delaware county, N.Y. Aaron Wright was a farmer, and died in Fox township, Sullivan Co., Pa., in 1879, in his sixty-ninth year; Mrs. Wright still survives him, is in her seventy-ninth year, and resides in Alba. Mrs. Ward’s great grandfather Wright was a soldier in the Revolutionary War; she is the sixth in order of birth in a family of nine children, and was born in Springfield township, this county, January 25, 1844. To Mr. and Mrs. Ward were born three children, as follows: Minnie, wife of Frank Jennings, Allen T. and Julia. Mr. Ward is a member of the G.A.R., Ingham Post, No. 91, and Union Veteran Legion, No. 48; also a member of the Keystone Grange. Politically he is a Democrat, and holds the office of road commissioner; served six years as school director and one term as town clerk.
DRAPER N. WARNER, farmer, Tuscarora township, P.O. Spring Hill, was born, June 30, 1860, about two miles from where he now resides, and is a son of Charles and Betsey M. (Black) Warner, the former being a native of New York, and the latter of Pennsylvania, both being of New England origin. Mr. Warner has one sister, Jennie, who was married to William Richardson, of Brooklyn, N.Y. The father was a soldier in the Rebellion, being a member of Battery H, One Hundred and Twelfth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was taken prisoner at Petersburg, and sent to Salisbury Prison, where he died of starvation. Draper N. Warner was educated at the Soldiers’ Orphans School, at Hartford, Pa., and from the time he left there, which was when he was sixteen, he lived with his stepfather til he was past twenty. At twenty-on he began life for himself, farming on his present place, which was left to him by his father. He married, December 24, 1881, to Miss Sarah L., daughter of William and Mary Jane (Lacey) Peet, of Tuscarora, and they have two children: Charles Wesley, born December 5, 1883, and Eldridge L., born August 19, 1885. In politics Mr. Warner is a pronounced Republican.
JOHN M. WARNER, farmer, P.O. Windham, is a native of Albany county, N.Y., where he was born December 22, 1827, a son of Peter and Amanda (Smith) Warner, also of New York, but remotely of German and English descent, and belonging to the Agricultural class who migrated to Bradford county in 1845, and located in the immediate vicinity of the subject’s present residence; the mother died in 1882 at the age of eighty-two years, and the father departed this life at the age of ninety-two. Their family of children were five in number, John being the third in order of birth. He came with his parents to Bradford county, and when grown engaged in farming, and now owns fifty-three acres. In October, 1861, he enlisted in the Fifty-seventh Regiment, P.V.I., Company G, joining the Army of the Potomac, and was at the siege of Yorktown. He was detailed for extra duty on the steamer "Commodore", and was on duty there at the time of the battle of Williamsburg and Fair Oaks. He also did arduous duty on the fleet at White House Landing; he was seriously hurt in the hip in getting off a train, and from disability was discharged from the service in December, 1862, having been in the hospital nine months; these injuries are a life affliction. Mrs. Warner was married in Litchfield, in 1848, to Phoebe Kuykendall, who was born in 1828, a daughter of John and Betsey (Brack) Kuykendall, of New York, and they have had four children: Harry (deceased); Delphine, married to Luther Bixby, a farmer, and Betsey Ann (deceased wife of Albert Johnson). Mr. Warner raises improved stock on his farm. Mrs. Warner is a registered physician in Bradford county.
M. S. WARNER, a prominent farmer, of Ulster township, P.O. Milan, son of Adnijah and Nancy (Means) Warner, was born in Wysox township, this county, October 12, 1808. His father was of English descent, and a native of Massachusetts; his mother was of Northumberland county, Pa.; his grandfather, Adnijah Warner, was a resident of Boston at the breaking out of the Revolution, and was one of the crowd who organized the noted "Boston tea party". His father migrated to Athens in 1792, it then being a village containing only three or four houses; he was a young physician, and formed a partnership with Dr. Hopkins in 1797; he removed to Sheshequin, and engaged to teach the common school at that place, with the privilege of visiting his patience when called. He was married, in 1798, to Nancy Means of Towanda, removed to Wysox and continued the practice of medicine at that place until 1835, when he retired from active practice; he died in 1846, aged eighty-three years.
M.S. Warner, the subject of this sketch, was born on the farm at Wysox, and attended the common schools, walking a distance of two miles to reach the school-house. On reaching manhood he farmed until 1844, when he received the appointment of State weigh-master, and removed to Northumberland; he remained there until 1848, when he bought the farm he now owns and occupies, which consists of 200 acres of finely improved land; the improvements have all been made by him; his business ventures have always been successful, having secured his entire fortune by his own exertions. He was married, January 6, 1833, to Harriet, daughter of Ebenezer Smith, and niece of Gen. Warren, the eminent Revolutionary soldier; his family consists of the following children: Adelaide D., wife of Dr. Addison Sayres, of Harrison county, Texas; Mary Ellen, wife of J.P. Drake, of Beech Pond, Wayne Co., Pa.; Frances I., wife of N.W. Price, of Rockford, Ill.; Charles B. married to Jane Stiles, died January 16, 1890; and Emma St. Leon. Mr. Warner is a member of the Freemasons, Lodge No. 108, Towanda, and is a Presbyterian in religious views; politically he is a Jackson Democrat on the Jefferson model. He has reached a green old age, and still carries on his business with a skill and success that many a younger man might envy, and is surrounded with the comforts of life, which his own exertions have brought him.
CHARLES WARREN, farmer, P. O. Alba, is a native of Sullivan county, Pa., born August 25, 1834, a son of Josiah and Sarah (Glidewell) Warren, natives of Sullivan and Northumberland counties, Pa., respectively, the former born in 1808. He is a farmer and resides in Granville township; Mrs. Sarah Warren died in 1881, in her seventy-first year. The paternal grandfather, John Warren, also a farmer, emigrated from England, and was one of the first settlers in what is now Sullivan county, near what is now Millview; he died in 1813; his wife was Mary Ward, whom he married in England. The subject of these lines, who is the eldest in a family of six living children, was reared in Canton township, from one year of age. He was educated in the commons schools and attended the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary two years. He began teaching when eighteen, and taught almost continuously until 1884. He owns a farm containing 190 acres in a good state of cultivation, and is also engaged in the dairy business. Mr. Warren was married in Alba, in 1861, to Celestia, daughter of William and Laurinda (Lane) Shoemaker, natives of Granville and Burlington town-