History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
was confined in the prisons at Libby, Danville, Andersonville, Savannah and Milan; was paroled, November 24, 1804, exchanged, December 6, 1864, and rejoined his regiment in front of Petersburg in February. 1865. Since the war he has followed his trade of cabinet-maker, and been a resident of Towanda. Since August, 1871, he has been continuously in the employ of one firm. Mr. Lyon was married, August 16, 1865, to Harriet A., daughter of Julius and Freelove (Lyon) Morgan, of Allegany county, N. Y., and has had ten children, viz.: Mary F., Frederick (died in infancy), LeRoy, Walter, Charles, Edward, Robert, Susan, Richard and Maud. Mr. Lyon is a prominent member of the G. A. R., and is one of the charter members of Watkins Post, No. 68, Department of Pennsylvania, at Towanda, and has held every office in the Post, from commandant down, and is now adjutant, which position he has held three years; and is also a member of the Union Veteran Legion, Encampment No. 28, Athens, Pa. He has been a member of the Franklin Fire Company, of Towanda, since 1856; is also a member of the K. of L., and politically he is a Republican.
SAMUEL LYON, retired farmer and capitalist, East Towanda, was born in Seekonk, Mass., September 28, 1807, and is a son of Samuel and Olive (Perry) Lyon, natives of Massachusetts and of New England origin; his grandfather, great-grandfather and great-great-grand father were all named Samuel Lyon. In his father's family there were four sons and four daughters, viz.: Benjamin (deceased), Nancy (deceased), Olive (deceased), Samuel, Amy (deceased), George (a retired farmer, Owego, N. Y.), Cynthia (widow of Elijah Reed, and living with her son in East Greenwich, R. I.), and Ezra P. (who is very wealthy, and is living a retired life in Providence, R. I.). Samuel, who was reared on the farm and educated in the common school, began life for himself at the age of seventeen, working a turning lathe, which he followed two years, and then went to work in a machine shop in Slatersville, R.I., where he remained four years. In 1830 he came to Bradford county, and located in Warren township, buying 200 acres of land from Cyrus Grant for $1.50 per acre. This farm he reduced from a dense forest to an excellent state of cultivation, and lived thereon thirty-two years; then sold it to his brother, Benjamin. After living in Potterville one and one-half years, he purchased the Belding farm, north of LeRaysville, where he lived nine years, and then removed into LeRaysville and lived there eight years, after which he removed to his present home, which he purchased of E.C. Gridley. Mr. Lyon was married, September 23, 1830, to Miss Asenath P., daughter of Howlen Slade, of Slatersville, R. I., and of English-Quaker origin. Their family consisted of two children: Samuel, born May 15, 1883 (was a dry-goods merchant in Owego, and died December 21, 1872, leaving one child, Carrie); Caroline C., born November 27, 1835 (was married to James Elsbree, of Windham, who died, leaving two children: John F. (deceased), and Nelson N. of Orwell; she married, for her second husband, S.N. Bronson, of Orwell). Mrs. Asenath P. (Slade) Lyon died August 23, 1843, and Mr. Lyon married, July 11, 1844, Hannah H., daughter of Noah and Alice (Taylor) Makison, natives of England. By this
986 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY
union were three children: William M., born February, 6, 1851, died March 2, 1851; Margaret A., born November 8, 1852, married Henry I. Hutchison, of Pike; and Sarah Ann, born October 22, 1854,. Married Percival P. Watson, with whom she lived but one year (they had one child, Alice H., born March 24, 1877; Sarah Ann and her daughter are now living with Mr. Lyon, at East Towanda).
S.W. LYON, of the firm of Lyon & Watts, dealers in groceries, queensware, boats and shoes, Canton, is a native of Armenia township, this county, born August 25, 1840, a son of William and Rachel (Scouten) Lyon, natives of Delaware county, N.Y. The father was a farmer and died at Canton in 1886, in his sixty-third year; the mother still survives and resides in Canton. Mr. Lyon, who is the second in a family of five children - three sons and two daughters – was reared in his native place, went to Sylvania where he resided two years, from there to Ward township, Tioga Co., Pa.; where he remained until 1877, when he removed to Towanda, and ran the stage line between Towanda and Canton for four years, then moved to Canton and engaged in his present business, in August, 1881, with W. L. Seldon. On January, 8, 1891, the firm changed to Lyon & Watts. In December, 1871, in Troy, Mr. Lyon married Laura, daughter of DeWitt and Clarinda (Wood) Morgan, natives of Connecticut and this country respectively (she was born in Armenia township in July, 1856, and is the third in order of birth in a family of seven children – three sons and four daughters). To Mr. And Mrs. Lyon were born three children: Lewis, Walter and Ralph. Mrs. Lyon is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically Mr. Lyon is a Democrat.
ISAAC LYONS, retired farmer and mill-owner, P.O. Allis Hollow, was born in Sheshequin, this county, December 1, 1815, and is a son of John and Jemima (Horton) Lyons, the former of whom was born in September, 1875, in the first house built in Ithaca, N.Y.; he was married at the age of twenty-eight, and came at once to this county, his wife being a daughter of Richard Horton. The father was a farmer and lumberman, and had a family of eight children, viz.: Isaac, Richard (died April 10, 1859), John, Elizabeth (married to Mahu Horton), Rachel (married to John Bish), Anna J. (married to Christmas Hanesworth), Diana (married to Alonzo Barns) and Mahala (married to F.M. Maynard). Isaac Lyons spent his boyhood in Standing Stone, attended the district schools, his first teacher being Abraham Westbrooks; he remembers the building of the first school-house, which was erected when he was aged ten years. He improved over 200 hundred acres of land, and now owns about 400 acres; he has always owned his own sawmill, which has stood on the spot in now occupies about 40-3 years. He commenced his struggle with fortune, with no capital except good health, strong arms and a stout heart, and has ample fortune. Mr. Lyons was united in marriage, November 12, 1837, with Minerva, daughter of Reuben and Sarah (Norton) Griffin, and to then have been born three children, viz.: Adelbert G., born in 1838, died in infancy; Sarah, born June 9, 1843, married to Joseph
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 987
Tuttle [see sketch of Joseph W. Tuttle]; Angenora, married to George Allis. Mrs. Lyons died March 7, 1872, since which time the daughter has kept the household. Mr. Lyons is in faith with the Universalist Church; is a member of the National Grange, and of the F. & A. M. Politically he is a Republican, and has been constable and collector, assessor and school director. In 1861 he was elected county commissioner. Mr. Lyons has always been a careful and conscientious business man, and made his fortune by the slow and sure way of hard labor, not by speculation; is scrupulously honest, and is probably as well known as any resident of this county, and commands the respect and esteem of all.
HUGH McCABE, farmer and stock-grower, P. 0. North Rome, is a leading farmer of Rome township, and of the county. He was born in County Monaghan, Ireland, May 8, 1831, and is a son of George and Nancy (Donaldson) McCabe. His boyhood he spent on a farm in Ireland, attending schools of his native county, where he received a good knowledge of the common branches. He came to this county in 1849, and worked for his brothers, James and George, on the farm he now occupies; then rented the farm and worked it five years, when he purchased it, and now owns about 290 acres, well improved; the house, which contains fifteen rooms, was built in 1868; he has cultivated about 150 acres, and the farm is well-stocked, in fact one of the best in the township. He enlisted, September 5,1864, in Company K, Fifteenth New York Volunteer Engineers, serving until the close of the war, being discharged June 13, 1865; then returned home and resumed farming. He was united in wedlock, May 12, 1853, with Harriet P., daughter of James and Katie (Vasbinder) Layton, of this county, whose family comprised seven children, of whom Mrs. McCabe is the sixth. Our subject and wife have been blessed with eight children, viz.: Mary E., born April 2, 1854, married in June, 1883, to Reuben Horton; Levi, born March 12, 1856, married to Clara J. Stoll; Harrison R., born August 27, 1858, married to Sidney Brainard; Olin, born February 3, 1862, married to Fannie Harvey, August 22, 1883; William J., born June 7,1865, married to Lottie A. Russell, January 20, 1886; George L., born August 19, 1867, married to Anna Bush, September 24, 1888; Cora E., born October 11, 1872, and Lester H., born June 22, 1876. Mr. McCabe is a member of Stevens Post, No. 69, G. A. R., of Rome; is a Republican, and has been called by his friends and neighbors to fill various township offices. Mr. McCabe, from a poor, struggling lad, has developed into a wealthy and highly respected citizen.
JAMES McCabe, grocer, Towanda, was born in Anaghan, County Monaghan, Ireland, April 8, 1816, and is a son of George and Rosa (Stockdale) McCabe. He was reared in his native place and with two brothers and a sister—George, William and Elizabeth—came to America in 1836. He spent one year in Philadelphia, and in 1837 came to Bradford county, where, in 1839, he purchased a farm in Rome township, which he cleared and improved, and on which he resided until 1853; then removed to Towanda, where for twelve years he was the proprietor of the principal meat-market in the place. After again engaging in
988 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY
farming two years, in Rome Township, he returned to Towanda in 1867, and embarked in the grocery business, in which he has since continued. In 1839 he married Polly, daughter of Rev. Joseph and Amelia (Pratt) Towner, of Rome, this county, by whom he had four children, as follows: Joseph G. (deceased), Rosa (Mrs. John N. Califf), Elizabeth A. and Joseph T. (deceased). Mr. McCabe is a prominent grocer of Towanda, and one of its most enterprising citizens. He is a member of the Episcopal Church, and has served ten years as councilman of Towanda borough, and three years as burgess; politically he is a Republican.
RICHARD McCABE, farmer and stock grower, in Rome township, P.O., North Rome, was born in County Monaghan, North Ireland, January 5, 1834, and is a son of George and Nancy (Donaldson) McCabe, natives of that country. His father was twice married, and by his first wife, Rosa (Stockdale), he had four children: James (of Towanda), George (deceased), William and Elizabeth; by his second wife were Hugh [see sketch of Hugh McCabe]. Mary (died in Ireland) and Richard. The father was a farmer during the latter portion of his life, but had learned, and for many years had worked at, the weaver’s trade; he died when Richard was about six months old. When Richard was about fifteen years old, he accompanied his mother and Hugh to the United States, and came at once to Rome township, where James and William had already located, prior to his immigration. George and Elizabeth lived in Philadelphia, Pa. He had attended public schools in Ireland, also the public schools of Rome township, and secured a good common-school education; he worked for and resided with his brother, William, one year’ then worked by the months for different men, until the fall of 1854, when he rented a sawmill, which he operated until 1859, when he purchased the farm he now lives on; the first piece comprised seventy-three acres, and afterward he bought other land, making it all in the farm 160 acres. He cleared and improved the land, and converted the trees into lumber. The present house, built in 1883, is a modern building, handsomely finished inside and contains seventeen rooms. Mr. McCabe is one of the model farmers. He enlisted August 18, 1862, in Company I, One Hundred and Forty-first P.V.I., being the last man to enlist in that company; he made a good military record, and served until October 19, 1864, when he was discharged on account of disability accruing from a gun-shot wound received at the battle of Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863; the ball, which he still preserves, struck him in the arm, close to the wrist, ranged upward and lodged near the bone, close to the elbow, where it was cut out; he was in the hospitals many weeks, and was at last discharged, having so far recovered as to be able to return home, but the wound permanently disabled him. He was promoted to corporal, January 2, 1863, and to sergeant, January 1, 1864. Returning home he resumed farming. He is one of the charter members of Stevens Post, No. 69, G. A. R., has held different offices in the Post, but holds none at present time. Mr. McCabe was united in wedlock, July 3, 1860, with Almira Towner, daughter of Philander and Clarissa (Davidson) Towner, of Rome township, this county; she was born February 23,
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 989
1863, the second in a family of nine children. To Mr. and Mrs. McCabe have been born sic children; Joseph G., born October 21, 1861; Ella M., born May 5, 1863, married to J. K. Drake, December 3, 1884; Douglass T., born October 7, 1865, died October 2, 1868; Clara V., born August 3, 1869; Berton R. Born September 6, 1871 (is a teacher); Lannie T., born November 4, 1877. In his political views, he is a stanch Republican, and has held various township offices. Mr. McCabe with nothing but industry and determination, and out of the wilderness, has carved himself a home, with no assistance, except that of his faithful and devoted wife. He has a beautiful home, surrounded by a lovely family, and is enjoying the esteem and respect of all who knew him.
WILLIAM W. McCain, merchant, Stevensville, was born February 15, 1844, in Auburn township, Susquehanna Co., Pa., a son of Joseph H. And Sarah L. (Ribble) McCain, natives of New Jersey, and of Dutch and Irish descent. Joseph H. McCain was one of the pioneers of Auburn township, where he settled about the year 1837, coming from New Jersey. He began in the woods, and felled the tree whose stump served as a table for the family during the first year of his pioneer life; he taught school seven years, and then engaged in farming twenty-five years, during which time he was a justice of the peace; served one term as register and recorder of Susquehanna county, and then embarked in mercantile business in Montrose, as a member of the firm of Baldwin, Allen & McCain, which lasted six years and is now living a retired life in Rush, Pa. In his family there were five children, of whom William W., the third in order of birth, was educated in the common schools, also at Montrose Academy, and the State Normal school at Millersville, Ps.; began life for himself at the age of twenty-three, teaching one year. In 1868 he became a member of the firm of Weeks, Faurot & McCain, dealers in dry goods and general merchandise at Montrose, where he remained three years; then read law six months with J. B. & A. H. McCollum, of Montrose, and engaged in the insurance business with Henry C. Tyler, with whom he remained two years; then did business for his mother two years, and in 1873 engaged in mercantile business with his brother, S. B. McCain, in Rush, where he remained five years. In 1890 he located in his present place of business, where he has a very large and growing trade in all kinds of merchandise and produce. Mr. McCain was married February 15, 1879, to Orpha A., daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Melhuish) Granger, natives of Vermont and England, respectively, and they have three children; L. Bruce, born December 27, 1879; William Arthur, born April 22, 1882, and Mildred Lenoir, born January 17, 1887. Mr. McCain was first-lieutenant in the first company of the Seventh Division of National Guards, and was elected captain, but never took out his commission; he was also an honorary member of the "Rough and Ready" Fire company, of Montrose. He is a frequent contributor to literary and sporting journals, is an ardent life-long sportsman, and an earnest advocate of wise game legislation and
990 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY
game protection. Politically he is in strong sympathy with the Republican party.
C.A. McCALLUM, photographer, Athens, is a native of Orleans county, N.Y., and is a son of John and May (Moore) McCallum, natives of New York. His father, who was a farmer, was born December 18, 1810, and died in Paw Paw, Mich., December 18, 1890; his wife survives, and is in her seventy-fifth year. Our subject, who is the sixth in a family of eight children, followed farming some time, and clerked in a store about one year. In 1876, he began an apprenticeship at the photographer’s trade, and was in this business one and a half years at Portville, N.Y., then sold his gallery and went to Olean, N.Y., and worked there one year; then traveled on the road four years for the Union View Company, of New York. He came to Athens, September 17, 1883, and opened his gallery, October 11, the same year. His reputation as a photographer is well a favorably known. He was married in Waukegan, Ill., in July, 1878, to Miss May, daughter of Rev. Benjamin and Saphire E. (Norton) Brunning, the former a native of England, the latter of Vermont. Mr. Brunning is a Universalist minister, and preached at Athens two years. Mrs. McCallum is a native of Canada, and is the youngest in a family of three children. They have an adopted daughter, Clara Winifred; they are members of the Equitable Aid Union and the International Alliance and Mr. McCallum is president of the former, and treasurer of the latter; in politics he is a Republican.
JAMES McCARTY, a prominent farmer of Ulster township, P.O. Ulster, was born in Muncy, Lycoming Co., Pa., November 3, 1821, a son of Silas and Martha (McAfee) McCarty, natives of the same place; the father was of Scotch and German descent; the grandparents came to Muncy from near Philadelphia, and were among the early pioneers. His maternal grandfather was a major at the battle of Black Rock in the war of 1812. The son received his schooling at Muncy, until he was twelve years old. In May, 1832, his father removed to the Maumee Valley, Ohio, and in August of that year died, and the family returned to Muncy, reaching there in September of the same year; and the next spring was removed to Wysox, their present home. The family consisted of six children, viz.: William, James, John, Francis, Martha and Mary, of whom four survive; William and Francis are deceased. James married Sarah J. Baker, October 7, 1863, in New York State, a daughter of Daniel, and the fruits of this marriage were two children, Mary and Daniel, the latter of whom married Mary Sullivan. Mrs. McCarty died in October, 1867, and in 1871 Mr. McCarty married Louisa, daughter of John Lyons, of Bradford county, one child, Jennie, came to bless this union. His mother married a second time, and the son took care of her and her husband, in their declining years, and afterward paid of the mortgage notes and acquired the old homestead, on which he had always resided. The farm consists of about 200 acres of fine river land, and is well improved, and under a high state of cultivation. He is independent in his religious views, but his family are members of the Presbyterian Church; politically he has always been identified with the Democratic
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 991
party, and held the office of postmaster at Ulster over thirty years. He assisted in clearing seventy acres of the farm he now owns, sawing the logs into lumber and rafting them down the river. He is among the oldest men of this county, and has been eminently successful in his business; has acquired a beautiful home with an independent fortune, and, surrounded with and accomplished and interesting family, is now prepared to enjoy the fruits of his early toils and privations.
A. D. McCRANEY, chief of police, Canton is a native of Otsego county, N.Y., born September 7, 1838, a son of Samuel and Nancy (Allen) McCraney, natives of New York. His father was a blacksmith, and died at LeRoy, this county in 1852; his mother died in 1883, in her eighty-ninth year. Mr. McCrancy is the youngest in a family of eleven children- eight sons and three daughters; he was reared in his native place until five years of age, and then came with his family to LeRoy, this county; he farmed, and also followed lumbering, until March, 1875, when he removed to Canton, and engaged in the hotel business, for some time. In 1879, he was appointed chief of police, and has held the position since, with the exception of three months. He married, in LeRoy, in 1858, Dinette, daughter of Eli and Harriet (Bailey) Holcomb, natives of this county and Connecticut, respectively; her father was a farmer, and died at the advanced age of 90 years; she is the third in a family of seven children, all of whom grew to maturity. To Mr. and Mrs. McCraney have been born three children, as follows: Collis, married to Fannie Williams; Samuel, married to Charlotte Masters, and Emma, wife of Asa Stull. Mr. McCraney enlisted in December, 1864, in Company I, Fifteenth New York Engineers, served until the close of the war, and was mustered out in New York, in July, 1865. He is a member of the F. & A. M., Monroeton Lodge, and politically he is a Democrat.
HENRY W. McCRANEY, county commissioner, Towanda, was born in Oneonta, Otsego Co., N.Y. September 26, 1835, and is a son of Samuel and Nancy (Allen) McCraney, who settled in LeRoy township, this county, in 1843, and in 1846 began a settlement on South mountain, known as the "McCrancy settlement," and cleared and improved the first farm on the mountain, which is now owned by this gentleman; later , they removed to the valley in LeRoy township, and died there. Samuel McCraney was twice married. His first wife was Marie Smith, by whom he had seven children, viz.: John (deceased), Marie (Mrs. Harvey Smith, deceased), Sallie ( Mrs. Jesse Robart), William, and James (deceased), Polly ( Mrs. Mathew Mott) and Samuel. For his second wife he married Nancy Allen, by whom he had four children, viz,: Thomas A., Henry W., David M. (deceased), and A. Douglas. Henry W. McCraney was reared in LeRoy township , from eight years of age, and received a common-school education, and in early manhood taught school several terms. In 1868 he located in Barclay, this county, where he was appointed superintendent of the Towanda Coal Company, by the Erie Railroad Company, which position he held five years. He was also elected a justice of the peace for Barclay township three successive terms, and held other minor offices in the township.
992 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY
In 1880 he returned to LeRoy township, where he has since been engaged in farming and lumbering. In 1862 he married Julia A., daughter of Albert and Sarah (Andrews) Barnes, of Granville, this county, formerly of Connecticut, by whom he had nine children, viz.: Elnetttie, Albert B., Clarence A., Elizabeth N., H. DeWitt, Lottie C., Roderick M., Julia A. and H. Wesley. Mr. McCaney is a member of the I. O. O. F. Encampment, and K. of H. In 1878 he was the candidate of his party for the office of county trasurere but was defeated. In 1885 he was appointed postmaster of LaRoy, this county, under Cleveland’s administration, which he held about four years. In 1890 he was elected to the office of county commissioner by a large majority. In April, 1891, he moved to Towanda, Pa., where he now resides; in politics he is a Democrat.
ALBERT B. McCRANEY, liveryman, at Towanda, Pa., was born in LeRoy township, this county, July 6, 1865, and is a son of Henry W. and Julia A. (Barnes) McCraney. He paternal grandfather, Samuel McCraney, formerly of Otsego county, N.Y., settled in LeRoy township, about 1842. The maternal grandfather was Albert Barnes, a native of Connecticut, and an early settler of Granville, this county. Henry W., father of this subject, was reared in LeRoy township, where he has been engaged in farming and lumbering fot the past ten years. He was for fifteen years a resident of Barclay township, where for ten years he was a jobber for the Towanda Coal Comany, and five years general foreman. He is now one of the commissioners of Bradford county, to which office he was elected in 1890. The subject of these lines was reared in LeRoy township, and received a common-school education, and after attaining his majority, engaged in farming and lumbering, until December, 1890, when he and Clarence A. purchased the livery of D. C. DeWitt, of Towanda, Pa., and are doing a successful business, under the firm name of McCraney Bros. They are both member of the I. O. O. F. And P. O. S. of A., and in politics are Democrats.
JAMES McDONALD, retired farmer, Burlington, was born September 15, 1844, in Ulster township, Bradford Co., Pa., a son of James and Mary (McNamee) McDonald, natives of County Cavan, Ireland, who removed to America when young married people, and settled in Newark, N.J. About the year 1838, they came to Bradford county, where the father engaged in farming, which he followed the remainder of his life. He resided some years in Ulster, and then moved to Sheshequin, where he died at the age of eighty-four years, and his wife at the age of seventy-six. Their family consisted of three children – two sons and one daughter. James McDonald, the subject of these lines, was reared on the farm; at the age of eighteen was apprenticed to the trade of miller, but when twenty he enlisted in Company II, Twelfth New York Cavalry, and at once joined the Army of North Carlolina. He was under fire several times, was taken prisoner at Kingston, N. C., confined in Libby prison, and was not released until the termination of hostilities; his only brother, Robert, was a member of the First New York Veterans. At the close of the war Mr. McDonald engaged in milling in Sheshequin, which business he
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 993
continued until about 1880. He came to Burlington in 1868, and was in the mills at Luther’s Mills about twelve years, when he commenced agriculture, and he now owns a nice farm of sixty acres. Mr. McDonald was married July 14, 1869, to Mary Luther, of Burlington, born in 1851, a daughter of Roswell Luther, now of Towanda. To them were born three children; Roswell, born August 8, 1870 (he enlisted in the U. S. Army, March 28, 1891, and went to Jefferson barracks, where he was trained as a soldier; from there he was sent to Fort Reno, Oklahoma Territory, and died October 7, 1891); Marion A., born July 8, 1873, and Robert, born March 21, 1881. The mother died May 13, 1885. Mr. McDonald is a pensioner, owing to the loss of health incurred in the service of his country, and in 1889 he was obliged to retire from his farm, moving to Burlington borough, where he now resides. He is a Republican in politics, and has been several terms treasurer of the township.
MICHAEL J. McDONOUGH, machinist, Sayre, was born in Scranton, Pa., January 26, 1862, and is a son of John and Margaret (Flannery) McDonough, natives of Ireland. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in the city of his birth, and at seventeen commenced in apprenticeship at the machinist’s trade, in Dickson’s Locomotive Works, Scranton, where he remained four years; he then came to Sayre, where he has since been engaged in his trade in the Lehigh Valley Railroad shops at that place. He was married to Miss Anna, daughter of Luke and Mary (Warren) McGraw, of Waverly, N.Y., and to them have been born two children: Agnes, born September 4, 1884, and Gertrude, born November 6, 1887. Mr. And Mrs. McDonough are members of the Roman Catholic Church at Sayer; in politics he takes no active part, but rather devotes his entire attention to his trade, and it may be truly said of him that he is a complete master of his art.
THEODORE L. McFADDIN, farmer, P.O. Granville Centre, was born in Lewisburg, Union Co., Pa., June 2, 1841, a son of William W. And Harriet (Loushbaugh) McFaddin, and is of Irish and Dutch descent. He was reared in his native county, until twelve years of age, when he went to Williamsport, where he served an apprenticeship of four years at the confectioners’ trade, after which he worked at the business as a journeyman until the breaking out of the Civil War. In October, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Eighth Pennsylvania Calvary, and served until May 25, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. He participated in all the engagements of the Army of the Potomac, and was wounded in his right arm at the battle of Reams Station. After his discharge he returned to Williamsport, and in 1872 settled in Granville township, this county, where he has since been engaged in farming and poultry business. In 1879 me married Julia, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Gamble) Babb, of Babb’s Creek, Tioga Col, Pa., and has one son, Louis T. Mr. McFaddin is a member of the F. & A. M. Union Veteran Legion, G. A. R. And K. of P.; politically he is a Democrat.
EDWARD O. MACFARLANE, president of the Citizen’s National Bank, Towanda, and superintendent of the Barclay Railroad and the Long Valley Coal Company, is a son of the late James Macfarlane, of
994 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY
whom it is no disparagement to the eminent men of Bradford county, to say that he will take his place in history as pre-eminent, for in the varied walks of his busy life, lawyer, scholar, geologist, scientist and author, he has left his indelible footprints. Edward O. Macfarlane is the eldest of six children of James and Mary (Overton) Macfarlane; the latter was a daughter of Edward Overton, Sr., and a native of Towanda. Their other children are: Graham Macfarlane, of Louisville, Ky.; James R. Macfarlane, attorney, of Pittsburgh; Ella, Mrs. William Little, of Towanda; Mary (Mrs. E. J. Angle) and Eugenia. The son, reared in such a family, had far more than the average advantages in the start of life. The surroundings were gentle and refined, and the parents had the high order of culture that must impress itself upon even its associates in the outer world, and far more so, of course, on the loved ones beneath the family roof-tree. Our subject was born March 24, 1849, in Bloomfiled, Perry Co, Pa., and came to Towanda when two years old, and passed through the public schools and thence to college, where he enjoyed the best advantages, and left, in 1864, to enter the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, as midshipman, where he remained until 1869, when he was graduated; he resigned from the navy in October, 1871, at the time as ensign, and soon thereafter became engaged in the wholesale coal trade, in Elmira, and from there removed to Rochester, and was in this business and prosecuted it successfully, until 1879, when he became connected with the Long Valley Coal Company, and is now filling the position of superintendent and president. His father was at the time of his death one of the directors of the Citizen’s National Bank, Towanda, and his son was elected to fill the vacancy in the board, November 10, 1890. On the resignation of Judge Benjamin M. Peck, he was elected president of that institution.
A. McKINNEY, jeweler, Athens, is a native of Athens, this county, born February 16, 1855, and is a son of Henry and Amanda (Brink) McKinney, natives of this county. The mother died July 20, 1883, in her sixty-four year; the father is a resident of Athens. A. McKinney, who is the youngest in a family of three children, received a public-school education, and at the age of seventeen began work at the jeweler’s trade in Athens, in which he was employed until 1978, when he began business for himself. He carries a find stock of watches, clocks and silverware. Mr. McKinney was married in Athens, March 15, 1881, to Miss Emma M., daughter of Delos and Teresa (Repass) Jordan, natives of Tioga county, Pa., and residents of Athens (she is the elder of two children, and was born in Lawrenceville, Tioga county, June 25, 1862). To Mr. And Mrs. McKinney were born two children viz.: Minnie B. and Fred. Mr. McKinney is a member of the F. & A. M., Rural Amity Lodge, No. 70, has passed the chairs in the subordinate Lodge, and is a member of the Tiahoga Society of Athens. Politically he is a Republican.
HUSTON McKINNEY, farmer, Ulter township, P. O. Ulster, was born in Litchfield township, this county, March 17, 1833, and is the son of Henry and Anna (Russell) McKinney, natives of Pennsylvania and New York, respectively, who are of the agricultural class and had