Approval by the state for the closing of the Chemung County Sanatorium and removal of some of the patients to Ithaca was reported today. Dr. S. L. Larson, medical superintendent at the sanatorium, said removal of patients to Biggs Memorial Hospital in Ithaca started Monday and the process will be completed next Friday. Half of the close to 20 patients at the sanatorium already have Been moved. A letter from State Health Commissioner Herman E. Hilleboe, authorizing the closing of the sanatorium and designating Biggs Memorial Hospital to serve Chemung County has been received by J. Anson Saunders, chairman of the Chemung County Board of Supervisors. Saunders said today that formal action closing the hospital will be taken at the next meeting of the board Sept. 12. Closing of the old sanatorium climaxes discussions which began a year ago when it became apparent that the cost of repairs or construction of a new hospital would be prohibitive and probably would not be approved by the state. The board's building committee recommended the closing of the sanatorium because of obsolescence and the need of an estimated $50,000 in repairs. At the meeting of the Board of Supervisors early this month two resolutions were adopted. They asked Commissioner Hilleboe to designate a state tuberculosis hospital to serve Chemung County and to either assume responsibility for operation of the local sanatorium as a state hospital or to authorize the Board of Supervisors to abolish the county tuberculosis sanatorium. The hospital's Board of Managers brought the question to a head in a letter asking that the board of Supervisors either appropriate $26,000 "at once" for rehabilitation of the building, or to close it as soon as possible. Also serving to aid the supervisors in their vote favoring the closing of the hospital was an order from the Town of Elmira to connect the sanatorium to the town's new sanitary sewer system, as well as to comply with the Multiple Residence Law. The present sanatorium was erected in 1917, after a fire which leveled the original structure which opened on August 1909. The first sanatorium was remodeled from the original Elmira Country Club building on a site downhill from the present building. The building burned in 1915. The late Charles E. Rapelyea and Alice Spaulding Rapelyea gave the land and the first hospital fully equipped to the City of Elmira on Feb. 10, 1909. The sanatorium later was taken over by Chemung County.
Residents of Pine City, Webb Mills and vicinity are pleased over the changes made by the United States Postoffice Department in that section. The postoffice was moved from Webb Mills to Pine City some time ago. Miss Belle Cassada, daughter of Miles Cassada, was made postmistress, after she had passed a civil service examination with the highest standing of all candidates. Shortly afterwards the Postoffice Department made a change in the rural carrier routes, altering the starting place of those routes from the Pine City postoffice to the Elmira office. It is said that many objected to the change. Miss Cassada presented her resignation, as postmistress, and an unsuccessful effort was made to secure a successor, and her resignation was not accepted. A short time ago the department issued orders to move the postoffice from Pine City to Webb Mills. The office is now located in the building formerly occupied by Miles Cassada as a general store. Recently the department replaced the starting point of the two rural routes to the office at Webb Mills. These routes serve patrons in the vicinity south and southwest of this city. One route leads north from Webb Mills to Christian Hollow, to Bird Creek and back to the macadam highway at Webb mills. The second route leads up Dry Run to Hendy Hollow and back to the macadam highway at Pine City. Announcement is now made that the postoffice at Seeley Creek is to be dispensed with, and the route going out from that office will start from the Pine City postoffice. This route leads up Mud Lick, through Sagetown and back. It has been largely through the efforts and influence of Miles Cassada that the changes have been brought about.
A Civil Service examination for the position of fourth class postmaster at Pine City, caused by the resignation of Miss Belle Cassada, will be held here on April 8. Miss Cassada resigned her post when the postoffice department insisted that the office be located in the hamlet of Pine City instead of in the southern part, known as Webb Mills, where it is being maintained now. Her resignation took effect over a month ago but she is taking care of the duties until a successor is secured. The compensation for the office last year was $483. In regard to applicants, the United States Civil Service Commission offers the following in its bulletin: Age limit, twenty-one years and over on the date of the examination, with the exception that in a state where women are declared by statute to be of full age for all purposes at eighteen years, women eighteen years of age on the date of the examination will be admitted. Applicants must reside within the territory supplied by the postoffice for which the examination is announced. Application forms and full information can be secured from the postmaster at Pine City or from the United States Civil Service Commission, Washington, D.C. Applications should be promptly executed and filed with the commission at Washington at least seven days before the date of the examination.
According to an announcement from the local postoffice, R. F. D. routes 5 and 6 have been changed to 5 and 7 respectively, and instead of starting out of Elmira, they will now start from the Pine City postoffice, where Miss Belle Cassada is postmistress. Mr. Sherman is carrier of No. 5 and Mr. Kimport, acting carrier on No. 7.
"Windy" Smith, the Pine City pilot who learned to fly from Glenn Curtiss, is taking his first airline ride this afternoon. He's flying to New York via Mohawk at 4:30 p.m. enroute to a reunion of the old-timers who first flew the air mail. "I've been in cabin jobs, but never an airliner," says the fabulous Windy, whose given name is Leon D. Smith, and whose age is as nebulous as Jack Benny's. A BIG BANQUET will be held Saturday night at Flushing,L.I., for the pioneer fliers of air mail, which began in 1918. Included will be a memorial for 34 who died while flying the mails. Windy well remembers the early days, when the Jennies, Curtiss H's and R's, and the DeHavillands took off from public parks to haul the mail. "We had no radio, and used road maps with a red stripe across 'em," says the old-timer. In New York we used the center of Belmont Park race track for takeoffs. "The planes had an oil gauge, tachometer, altimeter, compass and fuel indicator - that's all." Windy flew the New York-Washington run, and later the New York-Chicago run. On his first Chicago trip the engine threw four rods through the crankcase and he emergency landed in a field at Sharon, Ohio. Smith has been "Windy" for 42 years, since he started with Glenn Curtiss at Hammondsport, helping test the pontoons. "Curtiss was as great as the Wrights ever were. He never got fair publicity," says Smith. "He was the first to use floats and pontoons. Just look at his flight records in France and America! He advanced flying much faster than the Wright Brothers." Smith was born at Millerton, the son of Dr. Frank Smith, who practiced there for 65 years. He went to Millerton schools, then old No. 3 in Elmira, and to EFA for two years. He and the late Joe Pierce, Sr. went up to Cook Academy their junior years to play football. After learning to fly at Hammondsport, Windy was a World War I instructor, an air mail pilot, ran "Windy Smith's Air Circus" for a time, and eventually was called by the Army Air Corps to train hundreds of fliers in World War II. Windy has a hangar and 1,600 foot landing strip, with two planes, at Pine City.
From plank road to expressway in three generations. That's the way transportation bounces in the Twin Tiers. Take the new Campbell segment of the Southern Tier Expressway northwest of Painted Post. You can whiz along at 60 m.p.h. from Patterson Bridge to Campbell. Not so a century ago. Then the route was the Monterey, Coopers Plains, Painted Post and Corning Plank Road. Incorporated in 1852, it began on Pulteney St. in Corning just west of Bridge St. and ran on through Painted Post, past the present Costa airport to Coopers and up Meads Creek valley to Monterey. But all that changed on May 9, 1867. The name-and base-became the "Conhocton Stone Road." Beside the Coopers Plains planker, Painted Post also had one extending southwest to Erwin Center and south to Lawrenceville. It was in use in the 1850's. Plank roads were essential in the muddy mid-1800's. Elmira had one extending out Pennsylvania Ave. to Bulkhead, Pine City, Seely Creek and on to the state line. More than eight miles long, it was made of 13-foot hemlock planks. Toll houses were at the river, near present Beecher St., near Shappee's bridge and at Webb Mills. The road was incorporated in 1847, and you can still see references to it in deeds. Tioga County, Pa. horses and carriages, log teams and stage coaches ran over a plank road between Tioga and Wellsboro, The road, a private enterprise, was heavily traveled in the 1850's and early 1860's. A couple of inns were located along the road, one being the Potter Inn at Middlebury Center. The 17-mile stretch was called "up the plank", says Mrs. Anne Kayzer of Tioga. Huge timbers were laid lengthwise along the sides of the narrow road. Heavy, wide rough boards were nailed close together across the timbers. "Perhaps no small investment…contributed as much to the advancement of this area or was of more benefit to the community…than this plank road," said and 1883 observer. Towanda has a most unusual sign at the foot of York Ave. It reads "Plank Road Street," The street leads two blocks uphill to the high school. Then it jogs a bit and becomes the Plank Road that leads to Mountain Lake. The road connects with Berwick Turnpike at Overshot, between Burlington and Monroeton. County Commissioner Fowler L. Tuton and Mrs. John Cook of Towanda pooled their knowledge of the old road for the following description: About three-fourths of a mile from Towanda was a large swamp, partially contained when Berlin Myers built a large reservoir and ice house. The road was muddy most of the time and that is why the planks were laid through the swamp area. A small stream called Mix Run ran down below Fourth St., in the area of Christ Episcopal Church. A conduit was built about 130 years ago, and planks were laid on the road. Mix Run proved a blessing for Christ Church, says Mrs. Cook. Some inventive parishioner fashioned a water wheel that pumped the organ.
The 15th annual outing of the employes of F. M. Howell and Company, Elmira box manufacturers, is being held at Shepard Park, near Montour Falls, today. A program of athletic events including a baseball game between the printers and the box factory are a feature of the arrangements. "Noisy" Burbage is manager of the printers and "4-1" Gettman will pilot the factory team. The game will be umpired by Claude Wright and "Chet" Howell At noon today quoits were enjoyed by the large attendance after which an excellent dinner was served. This afternoon various speed race, shot puts, tug-o-war and other activities were pulled by the officials: Those present are: Harry Manchester, Arthur Rietman, F. S. Hunter, Harry Mills, John Jenkins, Howard Johnson, Sam Terwilliger, Dan Getman, Benjamin Jenkins, George L. wood, Spencer Covell,George Danks, Charles White, A. M. Ennis, A. V. Terwilliger, Charles Hunter, F. M. Vaughn, Walter Chilson, C. H. Shepard, Roy Westervelt, Harry Allen, Al Wainwright, C. L. Wright, Henry Kane, Mason Lyon, F. M. Howell, F. H. Mills, W. B. Snyder, Earnest Jacque, Everts Howell, William Osborne, C. E. Howell, Chester Howell, jr., C. L. Coke, Frederick Yiesley, George B. Thomas, George Burley, George Howell, Leon Whitehead, George Morrison, Leo Burbage, Freemond Bodine, Ernest Tomlinson, Wellington Lowe, Dan Steele, Henry Garthvaite, George Elliott, George W. Howe, Harry M. Smith, Frank Howell, Harry Howe, George Wainwright, Jack B Niederberger, A. Clinton Boardman, Chester Lewis, Joe Burbage, Frank Boetiker, Claude, Claude Thomas, Gustave Leupelt, Herman Leupelt, C. Eugene Quick, D. A. Wainwright. The following people kindly used their own cars to transport the men: Harry Manchester, Arthur Rietman, F. S. Hunter, Howard Johnson, Spencer Covell, C. H. Shepard, Roy Westervelt, F. M. Howell, F. H.Mills, W. B. Snyder, C. E. Howell, George Burley, Harry M. Smith. (handwritten on article - Sept 10,
George Rockwell Unable to Pay All His Fine, When Accused of Driving Car in Unsteady Condition- Wife Relents and Helps Him Out
George Rockwell, of Pine City, 49 years, and "old enough to know better," as his wife said this morning, would have spent 50 days in the Chemung County jail, if his indignant spouse had not sympathized with his predicament at the last moment. Mrs. Rockwell finally listened to her husband's pleadings that she give him $30 to add to his $20 and pay a %50 fine for driving in an intoxicated condition, but not until they had gone half way to the jail, accompanied by Police Sergeant Thomas Wilmot. The trouble began last night, when George, with his little brown flivver got into some bad company, and finally landed at headquarters, just a "little bit over the top." He spent the night in a cell, and this morning was arraigned before Recorder Otis H. Gardner, just as his "wifey" arrived in the courtroom. The recorder informed Mr. Rockwell the charge was serious and asked whether he desired an attorney. When Mr. Rockwell said "No", and pleaded guilty, he was fined $50, and asked if he had it with him. He said he had part of it, but that his wife had money with her, and she would pay the remainder. That's just where George made one big mistake. "I'll not pay a single cent," shouted the angry Mrs. Rockwell. "You had about $60 when you left me yesterday, and I guess you'll have to pay your own fine." The husband pleaded for some time in vain, and he soon started towards the jail with Sergeant Wilmot and another prisoner. Here Mrs. Rockwell relented a bit. "If you promise me that you'll be a man," she said, loud enough so that those standing around could easily be witnesses, "I'll give you the $30. Otherwise you go to jail." At first Mr. Rockwell refused to promise. However, when they had gone half the distance to the jail, and Sergeant Wilmot told Mrs. Roberts that her husband was going to "do" 50 days unless the fine was paid, she dug down into her big leather pocketbook, and produced the money. The two then went around to the parking grounds of the city hall, got in their little brown flivver, and started for home.
At the home of Mr. and Mrs. L. B. Smith in Southport, Oct. 10th at 3 o'clock, occurred the marriage of their daughter, Mrs. Ella Dents, to Joseph Rush. The wedding was a complete surprise to a large company gathered at the home of the bride's parents. They had assembled, many coming from adjoining towns, in honor of the forty-fifth anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. All were having a good time, enjoying to the full the unusual occasion that had brought them together. Reminiscences were being indulged in by the older members of the party, while the young were engaged in the amusements common to their age. In the meantime the bride and groom without exciting the suspicions of any one present, had withdrawn to another room. While here they received a call from clergyman, the Rev. Warren D. More of the North church. A few words of explanation and direction followed when this little company separated. Directly there was a knock at the front door of the house and the clergyman was admitted into the parlor. Advancing to the center of the room he was met by the bridal couple, who had quietly entered at the same time by another door. Without any introductions or explanations, the brief words were spoken that made the couple husband and wife. The company looked on in astonishment, wondering what would come next. As no other door opened no unexpected parties appeared the father and mother determined not to be outdone and hastened to add their blessing. This was the signal for all to follow and the company soon became loud in their expressions of surprise and congratulations. Everybody was happy and a general good time followed until the company separated, and the bride and groom departed for their home at No. 543 South Main Street. The good wishes of the many who were present, as well as a very many who were not, go with the newly wedded couple.
Mr. and Mrs. H. D. Baker entertained a few friends Monday evening at their home in Pine City, in honor of the 40th anniversary of their marriage. Games and music were some of the features of the evening. At 11 o'clock the guests marched to the dining room where a bountiful, three-course supper was served. The decorations in the dining room were in red and white; the place cards were red hearts. Mr. and Mrs. Baker received many useful and beautiful gifts. Those present were : Mrs. T. J. Mann, Mrs. William Buckley, Calvin Buckley, Sarah Buckley of Lawrenceville; Mr. and Mrs. E. R. Vail, Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Sherman, Mr. and Mrs. F. M. Warmer, Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Egan, Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Young, Mr. and Mrs. H. D. Baker, Mrs. Longell, Pearl Young, Messrs. Charles Longwell, Eric Sherman, Howard Vail, Ralph Young, of Pine City; Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Stage, Miss Effie Stage of Elmira; Misses Elmore Davison, Eva Davison and Estella Baker of Elmira Heights. (handwritten on article 1910)
Six Co-operating Churches Decide to Have Another Revival Next Winter - Many Favor His Return
Hornell, June 18 - Another Stough campaign is likely in this city next winter. The six churches which co-operated during the recent revival have either in an official church meeting or through their advisory boards, expressed a desire to have another campaign next winter. Most of them are in favor of recalling Dr. Stough and his party, but there have been some negotiations with Dr. French E. Oliver of Kansas City, Mo., a noted evangelist of the Middle West. Like Dr. Stough, he has a staff of four assistants. Methodist bishops and others describe Dr. Oliver as "a marvel in evangelistic work". January 4, 1914,is set as the tentative date.
THIS IS A GENUINE OLD-FASHIONED DONATION, AND IS NOT TO BE APPLIED ON SALARY, BUT A FREE-WILL OFFERING TO PASTOR AND FAMILY. LITERARY ENTERTAINMENT Consisting of Recitations, Vocal and Instrumental Music solos, etc. by Mary Shergur, Mrs. Anson Lewis, Bertha Cole, May Harrison, Miss Fulkerson and others; followed by a Splendid Supper in the church dining room. Everybody is invited. Come and enjoy a good social time and gladden the hearts of the pastor and his family. (handwritten on the article - this church burned Mar. 5, 1904)
Chemung County's Bicentennial observance got a big lift Sunday afternoon with an interfaith concert celebrating "Our Heritage in Religious Music." The audience which filled the former state armory on E. Church St. responded enthusiastically to the program that ranged from ……(can't read) melodies to vigorous choruses, from ancient chants to contemporary compositions. The care with which the program was prepared in the balance of the religious and musical traditions represented the Jewish, Catholic, Protestant and black. The high quality of singing reflected the dedication and long hours or rehearsal put by the directors and choir members. The concert, the Chemung County Council of Churches' contribution to the celebration, set a high standard for succeeding Bicentennial events.
An employee of the Southport Highway Department escaped serious injury Wednesday when a power shovel he was operating was almost buried in a landslide. George Holly, Jr., 49 , of 1688 Pennsylvania Ave., Webbs Mills, suffered possible left shoulder and arm injuries. He was X-rayed at St. Joseph's Hospital and discharged. The landslide occurred at 11 a.m. at a gravel pit north of the Sagetown Road and just west of the hamlet of Seeley Creek. Holly was operating the shove, owned by the Southport Highway Department. Southport Patrolman Robert Loomis said the engine stalled as Holly got ready to pick up loose gravel. When Holly tried again, the landslide occurred. Slabs and stones came tumbling down a 75 foot slope. Town Highway supt. Glenn Knapp, who was also working in the pit, said Holly was knocked out of the cab by the force of the falling rocks. However, Holly got up and ran to safety. Loomis described some of the fallen slabs as being 4 to 5 feet long and 4 to 8 inches thick. He said the frost coming out of the ground probably caused the landslide. Knapp estimated the damage to the shovel at $1,500.
This reporter talked about it with Smith, Edgerton and Dr. Connor Wednesday at a department store where the first two, occupying a main floor booth, were autographing letters going on the flight. The store is picking up the flight bill. Windy, who now operates his own private airport in Pine City, was having a great old time as a celebrity. He'd gone to the airport earlier to check the ancient craft he was to fly to New York, via Philadelphia, and found the battery dead. "But don't say that," he chuckled. The blue-eyed old-timer, in brown leather jacket and khakis with matching baseball-type cap, appeared wholly unconcerned even though he hadn't flown to New York since he carried the airmail. He said his plane was owned by Paul Manse, Hollywood stunt pilot, and had been in some movies. He never had had it in the air. At his own airport Windy flies Luscombs, Aroncas and cubs. He's never stopped flying.
Recipients of bachelor of arts degrees at Elmira College this morning were: Ann Alice Blash of 906 W. Water St., Ann M. Boor of Horseheads RD 2, Frasier Burgess of Pine City, Ann Marie Burns of 956 Grove St., Margaret Ann Chart of Addison, Pauline May Dailey of Elmira RD1. Mrs. Beverly Sylvia Dudley of 303 Gardner Rd., Horseheads, Roberta Claire Eike of Sayre, Pa., RD2, Sarah Howell of Burdett,Mrs. Ann Farr Jones of Elmira RD1, Mrs. Nancy Hillman Joyce of 625 Roe Ave., Florence Joan Pottinger of 909 Lake St. Mrs. Catherine Daly Richards of 863 Davis St., Mary A. Rossi of 347 W. Washington Ave., Joyce Ann Wood of 769 Linden Pl. Loretta Pacifico of Corning, Donna Phyllis Vieweg of Binghamton, Jane Bong of Orchard Park, Joan Burrier of Altoona, Pa., Edith Cross of Fairport, Dolores DePipi of Port Jarvis, Miriam F. Davis of Kingston, Pa., Lois Geraci of Utica. Celia M. Gonzalez of Ponce, Puerto Rico, Marianne Heil of Larchmont, Loraine Herdeg of Gowanda, Jean House of Oneonta, Susan F. House of Oneonta, Maria Kustas of Poughkeepsie, Lois Joy Levine of Albany, Marianne MacLeod of Newport, R.I. Leota E. Makuen of Goshen, Nancy Maryott of Westfield, Pa., Catherine McCormick of Hoyoke, Mass., Marilyn Nelson of Proctor, VT., Islay Jean Nicholson of Allegany, Gloria Olson of Jamestown, Vilma Doris Perachio of Bridgeport, Conn. Mrs. Anne Sallaway Wilmart of San Antonio Tex,Gloria Seneduck of Clifton, N.J., Bernice I. Shalman of Monticello, Miss D. Maxine Smith of Ilion, Joan E. Sproule of Hamden,Conn. Patricia Rushinsky Sullivan of Nixon, N.J., Barbara Jane Taggart of Maplewood,N.J., Cornelia Wickham Taylor of Williamstown, Mass., Judith Walsh of Bronxville and Jeanne Welsh of Greenwich, Conn. Receiving associate degrees in applied science were : Sonya Madeline Altman of 81 W. Second St., Patricia Ann Gillette of 538 W. Hudson St., Donna Ruth Whitmarsh of Wayne, Richard F. Bauer of 117 Judson St.] Joan Kill of Millburn, N.J., Constance Morse of Tully,Elizabeth Phelan of Garden City, Leslie Reid of Cotuit, Mass., Emily Anne VanScoy of Candor, Barbara Hodkin of Patchogue. Roberta McNab of Millbrook, Judith Esther Goldenson of Bridgeport, Conn., Margaret Kenworthy of Verona, N.J., and Natalie Belik of Homer.
Chemung County 4-H boys vacated a camp on the Courtright farm at North Chemung on Aug. 14, 1935, and were replaced by girl campers. Richard Reese of Pine City was given the highest individual efficiency rating for three days' participation in several courses of study. Camping and woodcraft were taught by Ernest C. Grant, county 4-H leader; handicraft, by Emil Premru, former club leader, and first aid, by miss Helen Watson, Red Cross Nurse. Forty-one boys and eight leaders attended the sessions. Leaders were the Rev. Lyle Pepper of Erin, Kenneth Brown of the South Creek Rd., Roy Smith of Seeley Creek, Donald Strouse of Dutch Hill, Richard VanWye of Horseheads, Richard and Raymond Courtright of North Chemung and Edward Boesen of Pine City. Henderson Sherman of Pine City and Milton Courtright of North Chemung were chosen delegates of the Chemung County 4-H.
The panting of the ancient 10-wheel locomotive mist have been lost in the cheers and band music as officers of the Elmira & State Line Railroad aboard a seven-car excursion train hover into view in expectant towns and villages along the right-of-way. Celebrating completion of the $22,530-per-mile railroad (it's the Tioga Division of the Erie Railroad now), the feted officials bent their ears to the Arnot Cornet Band's greeting strains of "Hail Columbia," with the population turning out en-masse. As the "iron horse" strode lustily into town after town there were additions to the party of empire builders and at Blossburg the proprietors of the Seymour House displayed a fine national flag in honor of the auspicious event. A proud day it was, indeed. But that was 65 years ago. Today dire threat of abandonment hangs heavily over sections of the Division, echoing only to two daily trains, in the Erie's plea to the Interstate Commerce Commission for the right to give it up. Data of these gala events of yesteryear is supplied by W. Rutty Passmore of Lindley, a student of the history of Tioga County, Pa., and Steuben County. He submits the following to The Sunday Telegram: "In 1840, a railroad line was completed from Corning to Blossburg. By 1852, a line was completed from Blossburg to the coal mines at Morris Run-about four miles-for the Tioga Improvement Co. By an act of the Legislature of Pennsylvania on Apr. 11, 1866, Constant Cook, John Arnot, Charles Cook, Henry Sherwood, Franklin N. Drake, Ferral C. Dininy, Henry H. Cook and Alonzo Webber incorporated under the title of "The Blossburg Coal Co." Immediately a contract was let to Sherwood McLean to construct a railroad to the Company's coal field about four miles southwest of Blossburg on Johnson's Creek. The railroad was completed during the summer and a mining town built, Arnot, in honor of John Arnot of Elmira, N.Y., one of the company. "This railroad did not expand until 1881 when the Arnot and Pine Creek Railroad was formed, which was to construct a railroad from Arnot to Babb's Creek in the township of Morris. According to the "History of Tioga County, Pa.", published in 1883, 'this road runs through a wild and unsettled country. At its terminus is the Woodland tannery of Hoyt Bros., one of the largest tanneries in the world.' "As it has been the desire of the people of Tioga County of this period to obtain direct rail communication with Williamsport, the completion of the railroad placed it nearer the consummation of their object." "Engineer Joseph Schusler, an old and trusted employe of the Tioga Railroad, Wm. Wallace, fireman, and Henry F. Shattuck assistant superintendent of the road, as conductor, were the excursion crew. "The road proved to be substantially built, well ballasted at every point and 'the cars ran as smoothly as on an old road.' At various stations along the route there were large throngs of people and additions to the party. "Arriving at Blossburg, the excursion was greeted with cheers while the proprietors of the Seymour House 'Morgan & Ward', displayed a fine national flag in 'honor of the auspicious event'. "At Arnot the whole population turned out to welcome the train, the 'Arnot Cornet Band' playing 'Hail Columbia.' Following speeches and uunches (typed as it was in article) 'the company then adjourned to the cars and were safely returned to their several localities and were well pleased with the excursion and with prospects of benefits to be derived from the new road by the people of Chemung County, N.Y., and Tioga County, Pa.' "The capital stock of the company in 1883 was one million dollars. The total cost of the road up to Dec. 3, 1880, was $1,545,620.78. The average cost of the road per mile was $22,530.91. The company owned in 1883, 17 locomotives and about 1,000 cars of all descriptions. The number of men employed was from 260 to 300. "All their own cars, both freight and passenger were made in Blossburg. A telegraph line extended from Arnot to Elmira-apparently the rest of the line was run 'by guess and by golly', mostly by guess. "The fare for passengers was three cents per mile, through freight, four cents per ton mile, but to shippers of 100 thousand tons, 1 ½ cents per ton mile. Way freight per ton mile was five cents. The average annula tonnage in the early 1880's was from 700 thousand to 900 thousand tons. "The following prophesy was made by John L. Sexton, Jr., member of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and the Philadelphia and Dauphin County Historical Society in 1882:"Tonnage henceforth will be large for there will during the next year be 50 million feet of hemlock lumber manufactured and transported along the line. Shipments of glass will also be increased, not less than 60 thousand boxes manufactured at Blossburg and Covington will pass on its way to market. The passenger business will also increase as the country through which the road passes is gaining rapidly in population…Could the members of the old Tioga Navigation Company from which the company derived its origin arise and see the great lumber and passenger trains that daily pass over this road, they would be as much astonished as poor Rip Van Winkle after his long sleep.'"
Six thousand armored horses were used in the battle of Neuva Croce in 1237.
It was in this rustic study at Quarry Farm on the brow of East Hill that Mark twain spent many solitary hours writing and meditating. The study has been described as " a little room of windows, somewhat suggestive of a pilot house-overlooking the long sweep of grass and the dreamlike city below. Vines were planted that in time covered and embowered it; there was a tiny fireplace for chilly days." Soon after it was built, in the Spring of 1874, Clemens wrote of his retreat as follows: "It is the loveliest study you ever saw. It is octagonal, with a peaked roof, each face filled with a spacious window, and it sits perched in complete isolation on the top of an elevation that commands leagues of valley and city and retreating ranges of distant blue hills. It is a cozy nest and just room in it for a sofa, table, and three or four chairs, and when the storms sweep down the remote valley and the lightning flashes behind the hills beyond, and the rain beats upon the roof over my head, imagine the luxury of it." It was there that Mark Twain wrote "The Adventures of tom Sawyer" and other of his well known works. It stands today, as it did more than a half century ago, looking down on the city, and is visited each season by hundreds of tourists.
Should Ray Wilson be a fan of broadcast serials, and should he be so inclined, he probably could qualify for honorary membership in the "Straight Shooters" club. More likely, however, he is content to let his newly-won laurels rest with the national record certificate he is to receive soon from the National Rifle Association of America. Ray, you see, has just set a new national record for marksmen-a record for 20 shots at 50 meters, any sights, with a small-bore rifle. Competing in the Grumman Gun Club matches held in Bethpage, Long Island, the Elmiran turned in a score of 200-18x's. That was quite a feat…good enough, in fact to defeat the defending national champion, Dave Carlson of Hartford. For the benefit of others not too familiar with the scoring in rifle matches, here's what Wilson's tally means. That 200 represents 20 points each for 20 straight bull's eyes. Now that ain't bad shootin', podner … but the best is yet to come. Those 18x's mean that 18 of the Elmiran's 20 shots hit in the x-ring, or the ring INSIDE the bull's-eye….and that's where they pay off in championship competition. Wilson, who lives at 205 W. Chemung Pl. and who operates a garage at Pine City, used a .22-caliber rifle in setting this national record. It marked his first national recognition, although he had captured previous local honors. He has been shooting competitively for only three years, but finds tournament competition much to his liking. In fact, his wife is a rifle expert, too, and both follow the sport throughout the eastern states. Already the recipient of a congratulatory letter from the National Rifle Association, Wilson also will receive a certificate to frame and add to his collections. (handwritten on article - Nov. 3, 1945)
Tree-cutters who felled the giant elm tree on E. Franklin Street, Town of Horseheads, join hands around the stump to give an idea of its size. The men were just about able to reach one another around the stump which was 17 feet around. The trunk and heavier limbs were removed to the rear of the Reformatory farm home where it will be cut to stove or fireplace lengths for use in that house.
Return to Obituary Scrapbook Table of Contents
You are the visitor to this page of obituaries since the counter was installed on October 26, 1998