Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
History of Tompkins, Schuyler, Chemung, Tioga 1879
Chapter XII - Miilitary History (Continued).
Tri-County Genealogy  & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
1879 Four County History - Table of Contents
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce 
Typed for Tri-Counties by Norma SMITH Mattison
Formatted by Joyce M. Tice

MILITARY HISTORY --(continued)

The 141st Regiment New York Volunteers was organized at Elmira during August, 1862. At the time, by the disasters of the Peninsula, it became needful to raise additional troops to beat back the defiant legions of the South, who were bent , on account of their successes, upon a general invasion of the North. The want of troops was so imminent that two full regiments were raised in a short time from this congressional district. The 107th was the first to perfect its organization, and the 141st soon followed suit. Colonel S.G. Hathaway was selected from the first to be its colonel, and he added his powerful and efficient influence to hasten its organization. The maximum number of men were recruited the last day of August, but the regiment was not ordered to the front until Sept.15, 1862. After reaching Washington, D.C., it went into camp at Laurel, Md., to do guard duty on the railroad between Baltimore and Washington, and construct military fortifications in the vicinity of Laurel. It was relieved November 24 of the same year and ordered to Miner’s Hill, Va., and joined General Cowden’s Brigade, of Abercrombie’s Division, in the defenses of Washington. Here it took its first lesson in picket duty and perfected itself in warlike discipline and defense.

The roster of the officers of the regiment at that time was as follows: Colonel Samuel G. Hathaway, Jr.; Lieutenant-Colonel, James C. Beecher; Major, John W. Dininny; Adjutant, Robert M. McDowell; Surgeon, Joseph W. Robinson; Assistant Surgeons, O.S. Greenman, M.T. Babcock.

Company A--Captain, Charles W. Clauharty; First Lieutenant, William P. Ross; Second Lieutenant, John Strawbridge.
Company B--Captain , Andrew D. Compton; First Lieutenant, Stephen P. Griffith; Second Lieutenant, Robert F. Hedges.
Company C--Captain, Elisha G. Baldwin; First Lieutenant, James McMillan; Second Lieutenant, Robert F. Stewart.
Company D--Captain, Charles A. Fuller; First Lieutenant, William Merrill; Second Lieutenant, Joseph Townsend.
Company E--Captain, William K. Logie; First Lieutenant, John A. Schultz, Second Lieutenant, E.J. Belding.
Company F--Captain, Andrew J. Russell; First Lieutenant, John Barton; Second Lieutenant, Wm. L. Collins.
Company G--Captain, Daniel N. Aldrich; First Lieutenant, John W. Hammond; Second Lieutenant, John H. Rowley.
Company H--Captain, William A. Bronson; First Lieutenant, Stephen S. Roscoe; Second Lieutenant, James W. Smith.
Company I--Captain, E.L. Patrick; First Lieutenant, R.A. Hall; Second Lieutenant, George Tubbs.
Company K--Captain, Wilbur F. Tuttle; First Lieutenant, George E. Whiton; Second Lieutenant, Joseph A. Frisbie

Companies A and B were organized in Schuyler County; Companies C, I, and K in Chemung County; Companies D,E, F, G and H in Steuben County.

February 12, 1863, the regiment moved from Miner’s Hill to Arlington Heights. At this time Colonel Hathaway and Lieutenant- Colonel Beecher resigned their respective positions. Major Dininny was promoted to the colonelcy. Captain Wm. K. Logie, Company E, was advanced to be lieutenant-colonel and \captain E.L. Patrick, Company I, to be Major. April 15 the division broke camp, and was sent to Suffolk, Va., to the departments then commanded by ex-Governor John A. Dix. That vicinity was soon relieved of the presence of the enemy, and the regiment was not engaged in any general battle. May 3 it was ordered back, via Fortress Monroe, to West Point, up York River, at the confluence of the Mattapony and Pamunkey Rivers.

General Gordon now assumed command of the division, numbering 8000 men, consisting of infantry, cavalry, and artillery. The regiment tarried three weeks, and engaged in building rifle pits and fortifications until the command was suddenly ordered back to Yorktown. While here Colonel Dininny resigned his commission, and Lieutenant-Colonel Logie was promoted to the vacant place, Major Patrick to the lieutenant-colonelcy, and Captain Chas. A. Clauharty, Company A, senior captain, whose just rights had been hitherto ignored, was advanced to the majorship. On the 9th of June the regiment took up the march to Williamsburg. The weather in this march was exceedingly hot and dry, and the men suffered extremely from excessive heat and thirst. June 11 the march was resumed, reaching Diascund Bridge June 13, where it remained , far in advance of the rest of the troops, in a low, marshy and unhealthy locality, and the duty was constant, onerous and harassing.
At this point the regiment had its first brush with the enemy, David McCann (Captain McDowell’s company) being the first victim to rebel bullets.

On June 26 the regiment resumed its march to White House Landing, and joined General Dix’s whole command, numbering some 30,000, on an expedition towards Richmond,--which should have been captured at that time,--- while General Lee and very nearly his entire armies were invading Maryland and Southern Pennsylvania. Gordon’s Division advanced as far as Bottom Ridge, only twelve or fifteen miles from Richmond, skirmishing frequently and getting a healthy practical experience of shot and shell. Engagements were frequent between the pickets , but no general battle took place until the 8th of July, when orders were received to abandon the expedition and the troops were transferred to the Army of the Potomac. For four or five months the bill of fare served up partook of so much sameness that the regiment suffered extremely in general health. Their staple diet, as well as luxuries, consisted if hard-tack, bacon, and coffee, served up ad infinitum, with no ringing of the changes. July 8th it took up the line of march to Williamsburg. The severity of the Peninsular campaign was now apparent in the hard marches made, which were the immediate causes of more sickness and death in the 141st than was subsequently experienced. Rain fell in torrents for days; and in one day twenty-seven miles were gained through mud and rain, to find a watery couch at night. The weather was so hoot that the men’s feet were scalded in their wet shoes and stockings. Hundreds went into Yorktown barefooted and feet blistering sore; but there could be no delay,-- it was laid out to capture Lee in Maryland. The regiment left the place by transport, and proceeded direct to Frederick City, Md., arriving there July 14. The same night the whole Confederate army made a safe retreat across the Potomac. Gordon’s Division was now disbanded and the troops transferred to the Eleventh and Twelfth Corps.

The 141st was consigned to the Second Brigade, Third Division, Eleventh Corps; General Howard commanding the corps, Carl Schurz the division, and Colonel Krzyzanowski the brigade. The regiment joined the corps at Berlin, Md., after three days’ march from Frederick City. July 19 it crossed the Potomac, and arrived at Warrington Junction the 25th. It remained in this locality for some time, marching, countermarching, changing camp, and drilling until September 24, when the order came to move. The Eleventh and the Twelfth Corps, under the command of Generals Howard and Slocum, both under the command of Major-General Joe Hooker, were transferred to the Army if the Cumberland, then to Tennessee. The regiment arrived at Bridgeport, Ala., October 2, and went into camp on the banks of the Tennessee River, having traveled in eight days about fourteen hundred miles. Rosecrans was then shut up in Chattanooga on short rations,--transportation being fifty miles around by wagons, while by the railroad through Chattanooga Valley it was only twenty-eight miles,-- the enemy holding the road and threatening beleagured Chattanooga from the heights of Lookout Mountain. The gallant Hooker took the job to open this valley, which was accomplished in just forty-eight hours, ending with the famous moonlight “Battle of Wauhatchie “ on the night of October the 28. This opened the railroad nearly to Chattanooga, and the Army of the Cumberland “dubbed” Hooker’s men as “ Cracker Boys,” as it had not seen but one cracker per day for a month, until Hooker’s men supplied their haversacks from their own. The 141st took part in the above action, which was fought on our side entirely by Eastern troops.

Wauhatchie is about five miles from Chattanooga, at the base of Lookout Mountain. The regiment participated in the glorious battle of Lookout Mountain, or the “Battle above the Clouds,” where Hooker and the Eleventh and Twelfth Corps won immortal glory.

In the mean time General Grant had taken command at Chattanooga. After the pursuit of the enemy for two days, the Eleventh and the Fifteenth Corps were headed for Knoxville, where Longstreet was making a threatening siege; but upon the approach of Sherman and Howard with their brave troops, he beat a hasty retreat over the Virginia line for safety. This ended the march in that direction, and the regiment returned to its old camp at the base of Lookout Mountain, having in twenty-four days marched in mud and rain about three hundred miles. It remained in winter quarters until Jan. 24, 1864, when the Second Brigade was ordered to Shell Mound, twenty -two miles from Chattanooga and six from Bridgeport, Ala., where it remained doing the usual picket duty, drilling, etc., until the 2d day of May, when it joined the First Brigade , First Division, Twentieth Corps,--the Eleventh and the Twelfth having been consolidated , forming the Twentieth,--under the command of General Hooker, and immediately in conjunction with the armies of the Cumberland, Tennessee, and Ohio, made for Ringgold to attack the enemy, under command of Joe Johnson. The battle of Resaca followed that of Ringgold, in which the regiment lost 95 men in killed and wounded. Lieutenant Barber, universally respected as a Christian, and a courteous, and brave officer, fell instantly killed; and several officers and privates were killed and wounded. The 141st also fought gallantly at Dallas, Pine Mountain, and at Peach-Tree Creek,--the latter being the opening siege of Atlanta, where Colonel Logie and Lieutenants Warren and Babbitt were killed. Lieutenant-Colonel A.J. McNett ( who had been appointed to the position late in December previous, in place of Lieutenant-Colonel Patrick, resigned) lost his right arm. Major Clauharty, Adjutant Hazard, and Lieutenant Shapper were severely wounded; Captain Townsend and Lieutenant Willor were slightly wounded. Half the regiment was disabled, but stood its ground nobly under Captain Baldwin, who succeeded to the immediate command of the regiment during the slaughter of its officers and men, and victory continued to perch on their banners. More fighting was at hand and Atlanta fell September 2. The Twentieth Corps, having previously fallen back to the Chattahoochie, as a feint to the enemy and to cover the rear of the Union army , was the first to enter Atlanta.

Lieutenant-Colonel McNett was promoted to be colonel; Major Clauharty, lieutenant-colonel; Captain Baldwin, major; Adjutant Hazard, captain; Lieutenant Grey, adjutant; and four months previous, Captain Robert M. McDowell was appointed by General Hooker chief topographical engineer of the Twentieth Corps, on his staff.

Soon after Sherman’s “ march to the sea” was begun, and, after about a six weeks’ campaign, entered the city of Savannah, Dec. 21, 1864. Jan. 17,1865, leaving Savannah, Sherman’s resistless legions swept northward through the Carolinas toward Virginia, constantly engaged in skirmishing with the enemy, but in no general engagements until, the 17th and 19th of March, the battles of Averysboro’ and Bentonville were fought. Here amid swamps and under every discouragement, the noble old 141st gained its last glory in severe battles; and in its last campaign marched over five hundred miles, at the most inclement season of the year.

After Johnson’s surrender the march was taken homeward from Raleigh, N.C., to Alexandria and Washington, and May 24 participated in the great review in Washington, and soon after was mustered out of service.

The regiment reached home June 13, 1865. It was met at the depot by the committee of arrangements, who escorted it to the William Street Hospital, where with the 137th Regiment, which arrived on the same train, they were furnished with a comfortable breakfast at the hands of a corps of ladies, who had worked assiduously all night to get the entertainment ready by the time of their arrival. After heartily discussing their meal, both regiments were marched to Camp Chemung, where permission had been previously obtained for them to pitch their tents. In a short time after reaching the ground, back of the encampment of the 19th Regiment, tents were struck and everything was got in readiness for a good rest after their wearisome marches and long ride.

During the day the 141st was visited by a host of friends and acquaintances who were eager to welcome the remaining veterans, the heroes of desperate battles and victorious campaigns. The regiment was given a distinguished reception and dinner, and a beautiful address of welcome was delivered by Hon. Stephen McDonald, in Wisner Park.
Below we give a roster of officers . The regiment numbered 380 men when mustered out. From first to last the regiment had enlisted about 1200 men.

Lieutenant-Colonel, A.J. McNett, promoted to colonel, not mustered; Major, Charles W. Clauharty, promoted to lieutenant-colonel, not mustered; Adjutant, George E. Gray; Quartermaster, E. Belding; Surgeon, G.S. Beaks; Assistant Surgeon, O.S. Greeman; Assistant Surgeon, M.T. Babcock.

Company A--Captain, W.P. Ross; First Lieutenant, C.E. Coryell; Second Lieutenant,____ ____.
Company B.--Captain, W. H. Bradford; First Lieutenant, J.F. Carroll; Second Lieutenant, ___ ___.
Company C.--Captain, E.G. Baldwin, promoted to major, not mustered ; First Lieutenant, Jud Griswold;
Second Lieutenant, ___ ___.
Company D--Captain, W. Merrill; First Lieutenant, C. Osmun; Second Lieutenant, C.H. Freeman.
Company E--Captain, Archie Baxter
Company F--Captain, A.J. Russell; First Lieutenant, M.V. Sherwood; Second Lieutenant, L.B. Scott.
Company G--Captain, P.C. Mitchell; First Lieutenant, M.G. Shappee; Second Lieutenant, ___ ____.
Company H--Captain, George Tubbs; First Lieutenant, F.C. Willor; Second Lieutenant, A. Stewart.
Company I--Captain, R.M. McDowell, brevetted Major United States Volunteers; First Lieutenant, J.B. Rathbone; Second Lieutenant, William M. Ware.
Company K--Captain, G.L. Whiton; First Lieutenant, M.J. Hogarth; Second Lieutenant, George W. Rogers; Second Lieutenant, William K. Brown, not assigned.

The following is a list of the killed and also of those who died of disease or wounds, in the 141st Regiment, taken from its muster- out rolls in the office of the Adjutant- General at Albany:

Company A.
Charles F. Babbit, died of wounds, July 21, 1864
James C. Burtt, died of wounds, July 26,1864
William W. Koons, died of wounds, Aug. 4,1864
Curtis J. Chamberlin, died Nov. 23, 1863
Hiram H. Platt, died May 9, 1864
Asa Bullard, killed July 20, 1864
Chester K. Chapman, died Dec. 6,1863
Delos Dimick, died July 9, 1864
George Dalrymple, died Nov. 14, 1863
Jackson Dickens, died June 1, 1863
Henry B. Griffin, killed May 15, 1864
Oscar C. Griffin, killed May 25, 1864
Franklin C. Grant, died of wounds, Nov. 10, 1863
John Hagar, killed May 15, 1864
Horace W. Hart, died July 14, 1863
David McClary, died Nov. 14, 1864
Stephen Mead, died of wounds, July 30, 1864
Henry Miller, killed accidentally, Dec. 5, 1863
Daniel C. Norris, died June 6, 1863
Denet C. Prunnell, died Nov.2, 1862
Francis L. Royce, died June 29, 1863
William W. Sutton, died July 2, 1863
Charles D. Van Vleit, died April 13, 1863
Irvin Wetherell, died April 13, 1863

Company B
George P. McCoy, died Oct. 13, 1862
James O. Murray, died Jan. 25, 1863
Henry S. Wood, died Aug. 16, 1863
Andrew Archibald, died Aug. 5, 1863
Louis Clark, died Dec. 5, 1863
Ira B. Cooper, died March 9, 1864
Gideon Ellis, died March 3, 1864
William Francisco, died Jan. 31, 1864
Isaiah Forrest, died Oct. 10, 1864
Artemus F. Green, died Dec. 11, 1863
Eaton Jones, died Dec. 29, 1864
John Looney, died Aug. 20, 1863
Jackson McDonald, died May 18, 1864
Henry B. Palmer, died March 13, 1863
William Powell, died March 19, 1864
Edwin Libolt, died Jan. 24, 1863
Philetus Stoll, died Nov. 4, 1863
George W. Scott, died April 20,1864
Myron E. Triphagen, died Oct. 29, 1863
Wellington C. Hurd, died Oct. 19, 1863
Mark B. Wakeman, died July 27, 1863
Stephen Wilson, died July 15, 1864
Manley Van Gelder, died April 29, 1864
Charles Dennison, killed May 25, 1864

Company C
Wesley Breese, died Aug.2, 1863
Benjamin G. Thompson, killed July 20, 1864
Isaac E. Bailey, died of wounds, Oct. 5, 1864
Dwight Murphy, died April 4, 1864
Elliot M. Noyes, killed May 15, 1864
Judd Albertson, died of wounds, July 21, 1864
William H. Allington, died of wounds, June 11, 1864
James F. Benjamin, died of wounds, June 14, 1864
William C, Carnrike, killed July 29, 1864
George H. Carnrike, killed May 15, 1864
Hiram G. Colson, died of wounds, May 16, 1864
Gabriel N. Cooley, died July 13, 1863
Henry L. Cartwright , died Dec. 23, 1864
Lorenzo D. Cartwright, died March 2, 1865
William H. Decker, died of wounds, July 21, 1864
William Edwards, died Dec. 25, 1864
Horace G. Edwards, killed July 29, 1864
James Elyea, died Dec. 23, 1863
Corydon M. Gillett, died Feb. 17, 1865
Shoemaker Hill, died of wounds, June 6, 1864
John C. Hanmer, died June 1, 1863
James D. Huff, died Dec. 10, 1864
Eli Kennedy, died Nov. 25, 1863
Charles A. Swarthout, killed July 20, 1864
William Stevens, died of wounds, June 19, 1864
Samuel A. Smith, died Jan. 3, 1865
Roswell H. Sleighton, died Jan 15, 1865
Judson Scribner, died Jan. 16,1865
Francis Van Wormer, died Nov. 25, 1863
Richard Weaver, died of wounds, Sept. 1, 1863
Elisha Wright, died Aug. 12, 1863
Edwin Weed, died Aug, 11, 1863
Daniel Watts, died April 26, 1865

Company D.
Edwin Merrill, killed May 25, 1864
John Q. Adams, died of wounds, July 27, 1864
William Cole, died March 17, 1865
Charles A. Haradon, died Oct. 25, 1863
Elisha Booth, died of wounds, May 19,1863
Alfred Countryman, died July 19, 1863
Henry Coburn, died Sept..18, 1864
Andrew Catsley, died Dec. 15, 1864
Lionell T. DeCarr killed June 22, 1864
William Davis, died of wounds, Oct.8, 1864
Israel Elliot, died Sept. 30, 1864
Frederick Gluer, died April 13,1864
William F. Hubbard, died March 27,1863
Minor T. Millard, died Oct. 22, 1863
Sylvanus W. Millard, died April 10, 1865
Nicholas Revill, died Nov. 22, 1863
George E. Stevens, died July 20, 1863
Charles L. Satterlee, died Jan. 27, 1864
Denis M. Stevens, died Aug. 24, 1863
Henry Thorp, killed July 20, 1864
Lorenzo D. Taylor, died Sept. (no date given), 1864
Henry Williams, died Aug. 16, 1863
William J. Wilson, died April 1, 1864

Company E.
Chester M. Wire, died Jan.22, 1865
Joseph M. Dunton, died March 22, 1865
Andrew Benneway, killed July 20, 1864
William F. Thomson, died June 4, 1864
Hez Fox, died Nov. 13, 1862
Charles E. Hughes, died Aug. 9, 1863
William S. Allen, died Nov. 17,1863
John K. Austin, died May 17, 1864
Abram Carpenter, died Feb.21,1863
Franklin P. Carpenter, died Jan. 18,1864
James Cook, died Dec. 16, 1863
Ira C. Dowd, died Dec. 13, 1863
John W. Evans, died June 13, 1863
David Franklin, killed May 15,1864
Milo Gorton, killed May 15, 1864
Albert F. Lynch, died Jan. 1, 1864
Edwin Marcy, died March 2, 1863
John G. Prouty, died March 9, 1864
James E. Seares, died Dec. 8, 1863
Henry W. Squires, died Feb. 12, 1864
William C. Youmans, died of wounds, date not known

Company F.
Amos D. Mason, died Dec.24, 1863
Alfred W. Bush, died Feb. 3, 1864
John Corbett, died March___, 1864
Orin Conderman, killed May 25, 1864
Russell B. Carrington, died; no date given
John Gray, died; no date given
Samuel D. Lovelace, died Sept.__,1864
Alexander Maynard, died Aug.__, 1863
George Owston, died Sept.1, 1864
Leander Partridge, died of wounds, Aug. 7, 1864
Thomas Robinson, died July__, 1863
Samuel E. Ryder, drowned June 16, 1862
Nelson B. Root, died Aug.__,1863
Lyman Wellington, died Dec. 29, 1863
Daniel O’Day, died Aug. __, 1863

Company G.
Captain Daniel N. Aldrich, died Aug. 11, 1863
First Lieutenant Alfred E. Barber, killed May 15, 1864
William S. McCrea, died Sept. 21, 1864
Andrew T. Grant, died of wounds, July 21, 1864
Charles Kester, died July 2,1864
M.T. Aldrich, died Sept. 15, 1863
Henry Blackman, died Oct. 1,1863
Edson L. Burr, died Jan. 6,1864
Jacob H. Cole, died June 16, 1864
Burrows Cole, died June 9, 1864
James V. Fairchild, died June 3, 1863
Henry W. Gernon, killed July 20, 1864
James H. Hurd, died June 3, 1863
Byron Hurd, died of wounds, June 2, 1864
Ira Kinney, died Nov. 3,1863
Oscar R. Leonger, died of wounds, Aug. 12, 1864
John R. Miller, died May 15, 1864
John L. Carnegie, died Jan. 25, 1865
Martin S. Prentice, died Dec. 3, 1863
Amos C. Stewart, died; date not known
George Simons, died Nov. 7, 1863
Henry Stewart, died June 12, 1863
Thomas Schoonover, killed July 20, 1864
Hiram J. Whitehead, died of wounds, July 20, 1864
Lyman Wright, killed May 15, 1864

Company H.
First Lieutenant Theodore M. Warren, killed July 20, 1864
Dewitt C. Hamilton, killed May 15,1864
George P. Burnham, died Jan. 12, 1864
Samuel T. Stewart, died May 24, 1863
James W. Stewart, died Nov. 7, 1863
Henry Abbe, died Nov.19, 1863
Albert E. Butler, died Aug. 6, 1864
Thomas Crusen, died April __, 1864
John Campbell, died May 11, 1863
Alfred Downs, died Aug. 30, 1863
Jacob Gress, died July 15, 1863
Benjamin F. Greeley, died March 19, 1865
Cassius M. Hadley, died Jan. 6, 1865
Joseph Howland, died March __, 1864
Oliver P. Jenks, died of wounds, Nov. 28, 1863
George W. Jeffers, died of wounds, May 18, 1864
Daniel Kelly, died Feb. 21, 1864
Palmer G. Linsay, died Aug. 21, 1864
Jacob Norton, killed July 20, 1864
William H. Olmstead, died Feb.__, 1865
Erastus L. Preston, died Feb. 28, 1864
Albert Peirce, died of wounds, July 24,1864
Clark Stewart, died Nov. 29, 1863
William Vaughn, died Dec. 14, 1864
Benjamin S. Welch, died Dec. 10, 1864

Company I.
William T. Cary, died of wounds, May 31, 1864
Cornelius Doolittle, died Feb. 17, 1864
George Brees, killed July 20, 1864
Ezra G. Mallory, died Nov. 24, 1863
Levi G. Ellis, died Jan. 31, 1865
George W. Griffin, died March 16, 1865
George Haxton, died Sept. 27, 1864
George Hinches, died April 3, 1865
John J. Jenkins, died Dec. 29, 1863
Daniel Luther, died of wounds, Aug. 19, 1864
Stephen Morris, died March 5, 1864
David McCann, killed June 16, 1863
George Owens, died April 20, 1864
James E. Proctor, died May 15, 1864
Alfred W. Phillips, died Feb. 21, 1865
Thomas Simons, killed May 15, 1864
Theodore Vance, died April 19, 1863
James Wheeler, died Aug. 10,1863
Joseph Wheat, died Aug. 28, 1863

Company K.
First Lieutenant Eugene Egbert, died Dec. (no date given), 1864
Edwin Branch, died Nov. 16, 1863
John L. Burt, killed June 22,1864
Frank Bloss, killed July 20, 1864
Lemuel O. Chamberlin, killed May 15, 1864
Hiram H. Cummings, killed May 15, 1864
John Fisher, killed May 25, 1864
Richard Gay, killed July 20, 1864
Erastus E. Haskill, died June 19, 1864
John W. Hapeman, died Aug. 2,1863
Godfrey Lenhart, killed May 15, 1864
Andrew J. McCann, died (time and place not known)
Ephraim Miller, died of wounds, Dec.16,1864
John Marsh, died of wounds, Dec.7, 1864
Michael McMann, died Feb. 6, 1865
Daniel R. Olty, died August 7, 1863
William Steinlein, killed May 15, 1864

The raising of this regiment was authorized by Governor E. D. Morgan, in the summer of 1862, and on the 15th of August, 1862, recruiting commenced. October 25 the regiment was reported full, and on the 27th of the same month was organized and mustered into the United States service at Elmira, N.Y., by Major A.T. Lee, as the 161st Regiment.

The following were the regimental and line officers: Colonel, G.T. Harrower; Lieutenant-Colonel, Marvin D. Stillwell; Major, Chas. Straun; Adjutant, Wm. B. Kinsey; Quartermaster, Marcus E. Brown; Surgeon, Lewis Darling; First Assistant-Surgeon, Joseph S. Dolson; Second- Assistant Surgeon, Chas. M. Pierce; Chaplain, Thos. J.O. Wooden; Sergeant Major, Philip L. Beach; Quartermaster- Sergeant, J.C. Beeman; Commissary- Sergeant, Rufus S. Alderman; Hospital Steward, George M. Beard.

Company A--Captain, B.F. Van Tuyl; First-Lieutenant, John Gibson; Second-Lieutenant, S.S. Fairchild.
Company B.--Captain, Horace B. Brown; First-Lieutenant, George R. White; Second-Lieutenant, Wm. H. Clark.
Company C.--Captain, Robert R.R. Dumars; First-Lieutenant, Orlando N. Smith; Second- Lieutenant, D.D. Kniffen
Company D.--Captain, George E. Biles; First-Lieutenant, James M. Cadmus; Second- Lieutenant, T. Scott De Wolf.
Company E.--Captain, Peter H. Durland; First- Lieutenant, Robt. J. Burnham; Second-Lieutenant, George O. Howell.
Company F.-- Captain, John Slocum; First- Lieutenant, John F. Little; Second- Lieutenant, James Faucett
Company G.-- Captain, Edmund Fitz-Patrick; First-Lieutenant, John P. Worthing
Company H.-- Captain, Willis E. Craig; First-Lieutenant, Nelson P. Weldrick; Second Lieutenant, Geo. B. Herrick
Company I-- Captain, Samuel A. Walling; First-Lieutenant, Myron Powers; Second-Lieutenant, Edwin A. Draper.
Company K--Captain, Geo. M. Tillson; First- Lieutenant, Matthew B. Luddington; Second-Lieutenant, Henry O. Jewell.

The regiment left Elmira Nov. 17, and proceeded to New York, and encamped at Union Course, where they remained until Dec. 4, when, having received orders to join the expedition of General Banks, the regiment now 539 strong, embarked on the steamer “ Northern Light,” and with the fleet, sailed under sealed orders. Their destination proved to be New Orleans, at which place they landed Dec. 17.

After bivouacking a few weeks on the banks of the Mississippi, above the city, the regiment moved to the rear of the city, where the winter was passed.

Dec. 31 the 161st was assigned to the Second Brigade, Colonel H.W. Birge, First Division, Brigadier- General Grover, and Nineteenth Corps. Jan.21, together with the 30th and the 50th Massachusetts, 174th New York, and 2d Louisiana, it was assigned to the Third Brigade, Colonel N.A.M. Dudley, First Division, Major- General Augur, and Nineteenth Corps.

During the winter the 161st had spent a great portion of the time in battalion and brigade drills, and become in all respects one of the best-disciplined regiments in the Department of the Gulf. At this time Admiral Farragut was in command of the marine forces at New Orleans, and being anxious to run a portion of his fleet past the enemy’s batteries at Port Hudson, on the 12th of March ordered the Nineteenth Army Corps up the east side of the river, to attract the attention of the garrison, thereby affording the water forces an advantage. After marching thirteen miles, the order was countermanded and the main body sent to New Orleans, while the 161st, together with three other regiments, were shipped on transports and landed eighteen miles up the river on the west bank.

Preparations were now made by General Banks to march towards Port Hudson, and on May 12 the 3d Brigade broke camp and commenced the onward march. May 21, the main forces came upon the enemy at the Plain’s Store Road, where a sharp engagement ensued and the rebel forces were routed and driven toward Port Hudson. The regiment moved forward, and, May 24, the whole command halted within one and a half miles of the centre of the enemy’s works.

It soon became evident that a charge was the only efficient means of reaching the enemy’s works, and on the 26th of May a storming-party, consisting of thirty men, a captain, and a lieutenant from each regiment of the 1st Division was called for. And as an illustration of the material of the 161st, so many officers and men volunteered for this perilous task that it became necessary to appoint a special committee to make the selections. All being in readiness, May 27, the entire land force, the artillery brigade and the fleet of gunboats upon the river opened a simultaneous attack.

The contest was a terrible on: the artillery and flotilla poured a flaming sheet if fire of shot and shell; the land forces fought with that bravery and perseverance never excelled; while the assaulting column rushed into the very jaws of death.

The enemy from this strongly-intrenched position poured into those blue ranks a murderous fire of grape and canister, and men fell like wheat before the sickle of the harvester. Sergent George Bingham, of Company C. and Edward Stratton and Anson Retan, of Company A, were instantly killed.

After the attack the regiment continued to hold its old position in the ravines until June 14, when another grand attack was made, and again were the Union forces forced back.

July 4, Vicksburg surrounded, and General Gardner in command of Port Hudson, having defended the position as long as he deemed his duty required on the 9th of July the stronghold was surrendered and occupied by the Union forces.

From Port Hudson the regiment proceeded down the river and on the 9th disembarked at Donaldsonville, and on the 12th moved to Cox’s plantation, six miles distance. On the following day the enemy threatened an attack, and, after forming in line of battle, the Union forces, seeing that they were greatly inferior to the enemy in numbers, fell back in good order to a more advantageous position neat the town. The enemy opened a brisk fire, which was kept up some time, the 161st losing 6 killed, 39 wounded, and 9 missing.

The regiment remained at Donaldsonville until July 31, when they embarked for Baton Rouge and returned to their “Old Camp Ground.”

August 15 the 161st was assigned to the First Brigade, First Division, Tenth Army Corps. September 2, the regiment embarked for New Orleans, and were ordered on General Banks’expedition to Sabine Pass. Four companies were detailed as sharpshooters on the gunboats,--A and B on the “Arizona,” E on the “ Granite City,” and D on the “Sachem.” Companies C,F,G, and I, under command of Captain W.E. Craig, were setailed as a storming party to attack the enemy and force a landing.These companies, with others of different regiments, were commanded by Captain Fitch, of the 75th New York and in the steamer “General Banks.” Companies H and K were with Lieutenant-Colonel Kinsey, on the “N.H. Thomas.”

Upon arriving near the Pass the gunboats opened fire, and soon one became disabled and another grounded. The troops were not landed, the expedition proved a failure, and the regiment returned to New Orleans. In the action at the Pass, Company D has 2men wounded, 10 scalded, and Lieutenant Lindsay with 17 men taken prisioners. These were exchanged July 22,1864.

The 161st were ordered to join the expedition to the Teche country, and September 15 they left camp. After a series of marches the regiment went into camp, Nov. 17,near Bayou Teche, where it remained until Jan.7,1864, when they broke camp and began the march towards Franklin, which was reached on the 9th. Here the regiment went into camp, and the men enjoyed themselves generally for eight weeks.

March 15 the entire army broke camp and began its march on the famous Red River expedition, and, after a series of fatiguing marches, came upon the enemy at Pleasant Grove. Here a terrible battle was fought, in which the gallant 161st saved the whole army from a humiliating defeat. It lost 9 killed, 44 wounded and 39 missing.

At the close of this battle Brigadier-General Dwight, on an official to the 161st, addressed them as follow:

“Officers and men of the 161st New York volunteers: I appear before you to thank you for your gallant conduct in the battles through which you have just passed. In that of Pleasant Grove you were ordered, upon your arrival, to advance and hold the enemy in check until the division could form in line of battle.Under a hot and destructive fire you accomplished your mission. By your valiant bearing you saved the Army of the Gulf from destruction and it affords the highest pleasure to convey to you the thanks of the commanding general. Again, at Pleasant Hill, in your movements by `column by company,’ under fire, you marched with as much order and precision as if you had been upon review. To your lieutenant-colonel much praise is due for the skillful manner in which he handled the regiment. Officers and men of the 161st New York, I thank you.” A just tribute to as brave body of men as ever marched to battle.

The regiment participated in all the movements of that disastrous and unwise Red River campaign. The 161st went into camp at Morganzia, where it remained until June 18, when it, having been selected to form a part of an engineer brigade, marched to Vicksburg, arriving in that city on the 20th. The regiment had hardly begun preparations for engineer work when orders were received to move, and on July 23 they embarked for White River, Arkansas. Here the regiment remained a few days, and returned to Vicksburg, where it was joined by Lieutenant Linsay and seventeen others, who had been prisioners in Texas eleven months.

Aug. 13 the engineer brigade was abandoned, and the 161st was attached to the Nineteenth Corps, in the Department of the Gulf. The regiment now commenced a series of marches and skirmishes, changing position almost daily. August 14 it left Vicksburg for New Orleans, and on the day following their arrival returned, and were transferred to the Seventeenth Corps. On the 20th it again embarked for New Orleans, where it shipped in the steamer “Cahawba” for Mobile Bay, to assist in the reduction of Fort Morgan, arriving in front of that stronghold upon the day of its capitulation. On the 25th it was sent across the bay to Cedar Point, and September 2 embarked on the old blockade-runner “Kate Dale,” en route to Morganzia, which place was reached September 6. About six weeks were now consumed in changing from place to place. The regiment was ordered to Pasucah, Ky., and on the 26th marched to Columbus and encamped, where it remained until November 20, and then was ordered to Memphis. December 19 they bade farewell to Memphis and embarked for New Orleans. January 11 the 161st landed at Kennerville, twelve miles above the city and went into camp.February 11 it left Kennerville for New Orleans and from thence proceeded to Mobile Bay.

The regiment participated in the capture of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely, and was present at the surrender of Mobile, April 12. Here it remained in camp until May 20, when orders were received detaching the 161st from its brigade with instructions to establish a military post at Apalachicola, Fla. While here the weather was intensely hot and much sickness prevailed. On the 26th of July an order was received to embark for the Dry Tortugas to relieve the 110th New York, whose term of service would soon expire.

The regiment remained in this desolate place until September 25, when having been mustered out on the 20th, it embarked for New York. New York City was reached on the 6th of October, and Elmira on the 12th, where the battle-scarred 161st were the recipients of a grand ovation tendered by the patriotic citizens of that city. The address of welcome was delivered by Hon. Tracy Beadle, and Elmira, justly proud of the gallant sons of the” Southern Tier,” gave them a hearty welcome home.

In the words of the chaplain,” Thus closed the military history of the 161st New York,-- a regiment which had traveled 11,000 miles by water and 1200 by land, carrying its tattered flag, torn by the enemy’s bullets, over the burning plains of the South, into the thickest of the fight and into seven different States, and came home with not an act to regret, with not a stain on its banners, and with a history for endurance and heroism untarnished and glorious.”

The following is a list of the killed and wounded as compiled by the chaplain of the regiment in 1865:

Baton Rouge.--George N. Wright, Co. B
Port Hudson--Anson Retan and Edward Stratton, Co. A; and Sergeant George G. Bingham, Co. C.
Cox’s Plantation--Otis Walker, Co. C; and Samuel Robinson and Hosea Sibley, Co. H.
Sabine Pass-- Anthony Compton and Orville C. Boorom, Co. D.
Sabine Cross-Roads--Charles L. Wheaton, Co.A; Lieutenant L. Edgar Fitch, Co. C; Weller F. Smith, Henry E. Hewson, and Joseph Blunt, Co. D; James Leonard, Co. E; James Grimes and James O’Neill, Co. G.
Pleasant Hill--Elihu Lockwood, Co. C.

Port Hudson-- Michael Dougherty, Patrick Flynn, Co. A; William Beckwith, Co. B; Ezra M. Peters, Martin Hallet, Co. C; Frank McDonald and Eugene Bassett, Co. F;Alfred O. Spaulding, Co. G; Abram Cook and Lucius D. Cushman, Co. H.

Cox’s Plantation-- Clinton H. Wilcox, Co. A; Captain William H. Clark, Sergeant William Hibbard(mortally), Bartlett J. Beals, and George A. Brown (mortally), Co. B; Samuel A. Johnson, Joshua Kirk, Frank Letterman, Robert B. Murray, Joseph Seymour, Amasa Squiers, Co. C; Captain James M. Cadmus,Sergeant Otis Smith,Dennis Losey (mortally), Bradford Sanford, Luman Philley, David G. Bryant, Alex. Carman, James Borden, George Blakeley, and Orville C. Boorom, Co. D; Henry R. Smith, Leroy Broderick, Co. E; Stephen Read, Richard Harvey, William Davidson, Co. F; Sergeant Thos. McCullough, Austin Amilie, Andrew Sullivan,Patrick E. Brown, Co. G; Franklin Waight, Calvin Dibble, Roswell Miller.

Sabine Pass--Abram Blakesley (mortally), Garey Dodge (mortally), Patrick Hart (mortally), James M. Snyder (mortally), Adam H. Wilcox (mortally) George T. Gannan (mortally), Jos. Bartholomew, Thos. Sawyer, Ira Chubb, Isaac J. Lewis, Co. D

Sabine Cross-Roads-- Lieutenant John Gibson, Sergeant William Eggleston, Sergeant George Printice, Elijah Sprague, Co. A; George C. Coleman, Abner R. Page, Jas. Anderson, Ebenezer Boynton,Co. B; William Woodhouse, J.O. Armstrong, G. H. Barrett, Thomas Smith, William Smith, H.S. Clark, Co. C; Captain James M. Cadmus, Tunis J. Harford, Anthony Ayres, Theron F. Miller, Walter McCornmick, Franklin Holmes, David G. Bryant, William Spencer, Co. D; Lieutenant R.L. Guion, Sergeant Henry Moore, George Fohnsbee, Nathan P. Parker, James Murray, Bryon Munn, Leartus Redner, Henry Weisner, George W. Edget, Co. E; Jacob Swartwood, Lyman Tremain, Co. G; Samuel W. Jennings, William T. Norton, Co. H; Captain Samuel Walling, Co. I; Captain George M. Tillson, Co. K

Pleasant Hill-- Wm. H. Garvey, Co.A; John Henyon, Co. G

Marksville-- Captain Edward Fitzpatrick, Co. G; E.L. Dewitt, Co. C

Spanish Fort-- Christopher C. Such, Co. A.

Joyce Tip Box -- December 2007 -
If you are not navigating this Tri-Counties Site via the left and right sidebars of the Current What's New page you are doing yourself a disservice. You can get to any place on the site easily by making yourself familiar with these subject and place topics. Try them all to be as familiar with the site's 16,000 plus pages as you can. Stop groping in the dark and take the lighted path. That's also the only way you'll find the search engines for the site or have access to the necessary messages I may leave for you. Make it easy on yourself. 
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 04 OCT 2004
By Joyce M. Tice
Email Joyce M. Tice

You are the  visitor since the counter was installed on 04 OCT 2004