Nelson township was formed from the township of Elkland, in the year 1857. It is located upon the north and south sides of the Cowanesque River and bounded on the north by the Pennsylvania and New York state Line, east by Lawrence township, south by Farmington and west by Elkland. The Corning, Cowanesque and Antrim Railroad runs through the centre of the township, having a station at Nelson village. The Addison and Northern Pennsylvania Railroad touches its northwestern boundary. The principal village in the township is Nelson, for many years known as Beecher’s island. Its inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, occupying some of the finest farms in Tioga County. Tobacco is extensively raised in the township.
The earliest settlers within its present limits were John and Hopestill Beecher, who made a settlement at Beecher’s Island (now Nelson) in the year 1802. Hopestill Beecher became one of the prominent men of the county, was one of the first county commissioners in the year 1811. His wife Abigail, died in Charleston, October 14, 1879, in her one hundredth year.
The township was originally covered with an immense growth of timber and for many years the business of lumbering was carried on extensively. The pine lumber was generally rafted into the Cowanesque River and floated. After the year 1865 the white pine lumber being generally exhausted, the inhabitants devoted themselves to farming and the result is the present highly cultivated and richly productive farms down to the southern portion of Pennsylvania and Maryland, where a market was found for it.
Daniel Strait settled in the township in the year 1806.
Dr. Albert M. Loop settled in Nelson in the year 1840.
Artemus Losey settled in the township in the year 1830.
In the year 1849, Judge George H. Baxter settled in Nelson.
Hiram Beebe, of Lawrenceville, erected a store in Nelson in 1830.
W. H. Baxter, of Nelson, elected County Commissioner, Nov. 1884.
Harry Baxter, of Nelson, elected Sheriff of Tioga county, Nov. 1882.
Enoch Blackwell came to Nelson in the year 1814, still remains in the township.
M. F. Cass, of Nelson, elected County Superintendent of Schools in May, 1882.