Osceola township, named in honor of the great Seminole Chieftain by that name, was organized December 1854, taken from the western portion of the township of Elkland.
It is located in the beautiful and fertile valley of the Cowanesque, the Cowanesque river passing nearly through its center from west to east. Along the valley the soil is alluvial, and upon the hill and mountain sides which skirt the valley the soil is clay, shale and loam. Its inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, producing most excellent crops of wheat, corn, oats, barley, potatoes, broom corn, sorghum, tobacco and orchard fruits.
Two railroads pass through the valley with stations at Osceola the principal village of the township, The railroads are the Corning, Cowanesque and Antrim, and the Addison and Northern Pennsylvania, both constructed through the valley and township in the summer of 1882.
Osceola brass band organized in 1855.
In 1865 a well was sunk for oil—dry hole.
Henry Mott erected a blacksmith shop in 1810.
The Cowanesque Railroad incorporated in 1869.
In 1882 Charles L. Hoyt erected a sorghum mill.
Nathen Seelye opened the first hotel in the year 1812.
Tannery erected in 1852 by Messrs. Tubbs and Crandall.
Knights of Honor No. 843 established January 8, 1877.
Osceola Plank Road Company incorporated March 25, 1852.
Equitable Aid Union No. 219 established January 18, 1881.
Alfred J. Soffield Post G.A.R., established January 18, 1876.
Israel Bulkley built a carding and fulling mill in the year 1814.
In 1870 Morgan Seeley opened a bank in the village of Osceola.
Free and Accepted Masonic Lodge No. 421, organized July 22, 1868.
In 1836 Benson Tubbs opened the first store in the village of Osceola.
Sash and blind factory erected in 1854 by Enoch Steen and Eleazer Clark.
Paul Gleason was the first shoemaker in the township; he settled in 1809.
In 1804 Cooper Cady made a settlement.
M. E. camp meeting held September 1828.
Mail route established through Osceola in 1822.
Presbyterian church organized December 26, 1844.
Israel Bulkley erected a grist mill in the year 1814.
Nathan Seelye settled in the township in the year 1812.
George H. Gee, of Osceola, was a soldier in the Mexican war.
Ebenezer Taylor built a saw mill upon Holden brook in 1810.
Methodist Episcopal church was the pioneer church in Osceola.
First physician in Osceola was Adolphus Allen in the year 1813.
First graveyard in the township was on the banks of Holden Brook.
The Addison and Northern Pennsylvania railroad incorporated Uly 1882.
Israel Bulkley established an apple nursery in the year 1800 in the township.
In 1813 Andrew Bozzard, the first carpenter and jointer, settled in the township.
Josiah Holcomb erected a shop for the manufacture of hollow wooden ware in 1827.
Knights and Ladies of Honor, Vidette Lodge No. 115, established December 20, 1878.
Nathaniel P. Moody and Reuben, two revolutionary soldiers are buried in the old graveyard.
Robert Tubbs settled in the year 1811. His father Samuel Tubbs, Sr., was a revolutionary soldier.
In 1807 Israel Bulkley sent Calvin Chamberlain to Onondaga with a herd of mules to pack home salt.
The first permanent settler was Israel Bulkley in the year 1800. He brought a female negro slave.
William Holden was the first settler in the township. Holden brook was named after him; he settled in 1795.
The first school house was erected in 1822. Osceola high school erected in 1860. Osceola music school opened in 1872.
Asahel Nobles chopped an acre of pine timber for a barrel of salt in the year 1807. Nobles resided in Deerfield township.
In the year 1876 new cemetery established, Abner Gleason was the first interred within the old graveyard in the year 1812.
In 1857 Doctor William T. Humphreys located at Osceola. He afterwards became surgeon in the "Buck Tail Regiment ."
Dr. William T. Humphrey, of Osceola, was a representative in the Pennsylvania State Legislature 1865, 1866, 1874, 1875, 1876.
In 1806 Pamelia Taylor and her three sons Ebenzer, Phillip and Mitchell made a settlement. They were from near Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
Robert Tubbs erected the first brick dwelling in Osceola township in the year 1829, it was the first brick edifice in Tioga county, it is occupied at present.
Charles Tubb, of Osceola, was Transcribing Clerk in the House of Representatives in the year 1869, and representative in the legislature 1881—served two years and was re-elected.
The first teacher in Osceola was Miss Mary Ann Landon in the year 1812. The text books were the Testament and Webster’s spelling book.
Military organization in Cowanesque valley in the year 1812. A number of citizens went to the rescue of Buffalo in 1814. Samuel Tubbs, David Taylor, Reuben Cook and Andrew Bosard went from Osceola.