|
1885 Seven Counties History - Bradford
County PA
|
|
|
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in
Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by
TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette
Company, Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE
HISTORY of Tioga and
Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben,
Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND
CITIES"
|
BARCLAY TOWNSHIP
Barclay township was organized in 1867, taken from
Franklin. It is bounded on the north by Franklin, on the east by Monroe
and Overton, on the south by Overton, on the west by Leroy. It is situated
in the highlands in the southwestern portion of the county, about two thousand
feet above sea level. The business of mining semi-bituminous coal has been
carried on quite extensively since 1856, when a railroad from Towanda, a
distance of about sixteen miles was constructed. It was named Barclay in
honor of Charles Barclay, of London, England, the owner of lands in the
township. The history of Barclay would be the history of the mining
companies which have been engaged in mining coal. Several million tons of
coal have been mined and shipped to market since the commencement of mining
operations. Barclay is a mining village containing about eight hundred
inhabitants, who are chiefly engaged in mining, or in labor connected therewith.
Carbon Run, a mining village about two miles west of Barclay, which formerly
contained about three hundred inhabitants, is now about entirely deserted, the
coal being worked out as is alleged. The coal is let down from the Barclay
mountain by means of an incline to the foot of the plane, from whence it is
taken by cars and locomotives to Towanda.
--Mountain Cliff Lodge, Knights of Pythias, was
organized April 8th, 1873. First officers were:
John Kellock, V. P.; F. M. Miner, C.
C.; William Johnson, V. C.; John Noble, K. Of R. S.
--Barclay Lodge, No. 807, I. O. O. F., was
organized July 12th, 1872. Charles Hutchinson, N. G.;
John Deitchburn, V. G.; L. S. Kelder,
Sec.; Edward Wheatley, Treas.
--The Barclay Coal Company was organized in 1853,
by Edward Overton of Towanda, John Ely
and Edward M. Davis, of Philadelphia.
Edward Overton, first President; James Macfarlane,
General Superintendent.