|
|
|
Franklin township was organized in 1819, taken from Canton, Troy and Burlington. Both branches of the Towanda creek unite within the township. The lands along the valley are very productive. The high or rolling lands are being brought up to a good state of cultivation. The town of Franklin is bounded on the north by West Burlington and Burlington, on the east by Monroe, on the south by Barclay, and on the west by Granville and Leroy. Franklin and West Franklin are small villages and post towns.
The early settlers were David Allen, Stephen Allen, Daniel Allen, Benjamin Stone, Daniel Wilcox, Rev. Thomas Smiley, John Knapp, William Damer, Samuel Wilcox, Absalom Carr, Ezekiel Carr, Widow Jane Lattimer, William Blanchard, Aaron Cook, Daniel Stone, Truman Holcomb, Gilbert Gay, William B. French, Allen Rockwell, Nathan Wilcox, Major Oliver W. Dodge, Burr Ridgway, Horace Spalding, William B. Spalding, Noah Spalding, Stephen Lattimer, Peter Lattimer.
--Mrs. Pladnor died, in Franklin, in 1830, aged 109
years.
--Franklin township was named in honor of col.
John Franklin, of Athens.
--Burr Ridgway settled in Franklin, in 1803, and
thereafter established the Bradford Democrat, at
Towanda.
--David and Stephen Allen, built a grist mill on
Towanda creek, in 1796.
--The postoffice was established at Franklin, in
1820. John Knapp, post-master.
--David Allen and Stephen Allen were taken
prisoners at the Wyoming Massacre, and escaped while the
Indians were holding a war dance.