|
1885 Seven Counties History - Bradford
County PA
|
|
|
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in
Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by
TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette
Company, Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE
HISTORY of Tioga and
Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben,
Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND
CITIES"
|
GRANVILLE
TOWNSHIP
Granville township was organized in 1831, taken
from Franklin, Canton, Burlington and Troy. Granville Corners, Granville
Center and Granville Summit are villages in the township. The Northern
Central Railroad touches its western border, and Granville Summit is a station
on that road. The north branch of the Towanda creek passes through the
township from west to east. The lands are rolling and well adapted to
grazing and the dairy. It is bounded on the north by Troy and West
Burlington, on the east by West Burlington and Franklin, on the south by Leroy,
and on the west by Troy and Canton.
Its early settlers were: Jeremiah Taylor,
Lewis Moffett, Scoville Bailey, David Bailey, Ezra Bailey, Thomas Bailey, Uriah
Baxter, Benjamin Saxton, Oliver Nelson, Phillip Packer, Abraham Parkhurst,
Charles Butterfield, John Putman, Alvord Churchill, John Pratt, Josiah Vrooman,
David Ross, Abijah Ayres, Z. Porter, Avery Clark, Nathaniel Clark, Noah Packard,
Giles Avery, Simon Chesley, Peter Shoemaker, Daniel Ferguson, Oliver Bailey,
Hugh Halcomb.
--A Good Templars Lodge was organized in 1854.
--The first road was laid out in Granville, in
1802.
--The first death in the township was Mrs. Lewis
Moffit.
--Levi Taylor opened the first hotel in the
township, in 1849.
--B. F. Taylor opened the first store in the
township, in 1849.
--Albert Nichols, erected a large tannery at
Granville, in 1857.
--A Lodge of Sons of Temperance, was established,
in 1852.
--The first framed house was built by Jeremiah
Taylor, in 1815.
--The first school was taught by Miss Delight
Spalding, in 1807.
--Adam Inness the celebrated tanner, located in
Granville, in 1865.
--Sylvester Taylor was the first white child born
in Granville in 1804.
--Granville is one of the finest butter producing
townships in Bradford county.
--The first Baptist meeting held in the town, was
in 1805, by Rev. Thomas Smiley.
--The first wedding in the township was Hugh
Holcomb and Miss Prudence Bailey.
--The first grist mill in the town, was erected by
Jeremiah Taylor, Jr., in the year 1820.
--Mail route established through Granville, from
East Burlington to Alba, in the year 1827.
--Simon Chesely was an early settler in Granville,
and a soldier of the revolutionary war.
--In the year 1832, Dr. Silas E. Shapard, of Troy,
organized a Disciple Church, in Granville.
--The “Summit” derives its name from the fact that
it is the highest point on the Northern Central
Railroad, between Baltimore and Canandaigua.
--Granville was originally known as North Branch,
and a postoffice was established in 1827, by that name.
In 1831, it was changed to Granville.
--Granville Center Lodge, I. O. O. F., No. 687,
was organized December 24th, 1869. Robert Innis, N. G.;
M. O. Loomis, V. G.; P. M. Sayles, Sec.; Adam Innis, Treas.