|
1885 Seven Counties History - Bradford
County PA
|
|
|
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in
Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by
TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette
Company, Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE
HISTORY of Tioga and
Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben,
Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND
CITIES"
|
SOUTH CREEK
TOWNSHIP
South Creek township was formed in 1835, taken from
Wells and Ridgeberry. The Northern Central Railway runs through the
township from south to north, having two stations, State Line and Gilletts.
The township is uneven and hilly, but quite well adapted to grazing. The
principal stream in the township is South Creek, which runs in a northernly
direction, and discharges its waters into the Chemung river. The township
is bounded on the north by Chemung county and the state line, on the east by
Ridgeberry, on the south by Springfield and Columbia, on the west by Wells.
Its early settlers were Philo Fassett, Asa Gillett,
John Morrison, Gideon Andrus, Isaac Baker, Samuel Pettengill, Ezekiel Baker,
Hosea Baker, Jesse Moore, George Durnham, N. Y. Glines, Harvey Jones,
Elisha Moore, Benjamin Seeley, Solomon Bovier, Hiram Potter, Aaron Stiles,
Stephen Stiles, Eben Dunning, Jackeus Thompson.
--Harvey Jones opened a hotel in the township, in
1829.
--The first settlers were Jesse Moore and Ezekiel
Baker, in 1804.
--Baptist church at Gilletts, in South Creek
township, erected in August 1858. Second church erected in 1877.
--Hon. John F. Gillett, of South Creek township,
was a representative in the Pennsylvania State Legislature, in the year 1877-78.
--The Elmira and Williamsport railroad was
completed through the township in 1854. It is now controlled by the
Northern Central Railroad.
--The Elmira and Williamsport Stage route passed
through the township with a regular line of coaches. After the
construction of the railroad in 1854, these stages were discontinued.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June 26,
1999