Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History - Bradford County PA
Postcard of Terytown from
Wyalusing Rocks
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
Terry Township Page
Table of Contents Bradford County Section of Outline History
Schools and Churches of the Tri-Counties
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce 
ReTyped for Tri-Counties by Pat SMITH Raymond . 
Book Submitted by Walt Samson
HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company, Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND CITIES"


Terry township was formed in 1859.  It is bounded on the north by Asylum township, on the east by the Susquehanna river and Wilmot township, on the south by Wilmot, and on the west by Albany and Asylum.  It is a peculiarly shaped township, its principal lines running in a northeast and southwestern direction, forming a similar figure to a key stone placed between the township of Wilmot and Asylum.  Terrytown is situated in the northeastern portion of the township, on the banks of the Susquehanna river and New Era, situated in the south western portion of the township are villages and post towns of the township.  Along the Susquehanna river settlements were early made, and the land well cultivated, while back from the river lumbering was carried on extensively for years.  The timber being removed the lands are now being cleared and cultivated with a fair degree of success.

The early settlers were Benjamin Budd, Johnathan Terry, Stephen Durell, Joshua Terry, Nathaniel Terry, Nathan Terry, Israel Parshall, John Horton, Lebbeus Gardner, Parshall Terry, Uriah Terry, William Terry, Oliver Dodge, Edmund Dodge, George F. Horton, Edmond Horton, J. L. Jones, Charles Homet, Isaac Schoonhover.

--There is an Odd Fellows’ Hall at New Era.
--The French refuges built a house near New Era, in Terry township, to receive the King and Queen of France, during the French revolution.  The house was erected about the year 1795.
--Uriah Terry was a teacher and poet.
--Marshall Terry erected the first grist mill, in 1794.
--Major Oliver Dodge was an early settler at Terrytown.
--Uriah Terry was the first white child born at Terrytown.
--Benjamin Budd erected a log house in Terrytown, in 1774.
--There were five brothers named Dodge, in the battle of Bunker Hill.
--Major John Horton, Sr., built the first framed house in Terry township.
--Union Church or Tabernacle erected at Terrytown, in 1852, open to all evangelical organizations
--“Terry Castle” an old landmark, a double two story hewed log house was for many years an  object of interest.
--Jonathan Terry, was the first permanent settler in Terry township, and the founder of the village of Terrytown, in 1787.
--Major John Horton Sr., built the first framed barn in Terry township, in 1805.  He did service in the revolutionary war.  He settled in Terrytown in the year 1792.
--Hon. Uriah Terry was the democratic member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, in 1875 and 1876, the only democratic member elected in Bradford county in many years.
--Major John Horton Jr., was Justice of the Peace for many years, a merchant, Captain and Major in the milita, county treasurer of Bradford county, and one of the prominent and influential democrats of the county.  He was born in 1793, and died in 1867.
--Jonathan Terry was commissioned Justice of the Peace, by Gov. Simon Snyder, in the year 1812, and continued in office until the year 1821, when he resigned, and was succeeded by Uriah Terry.  The office of Justice of the Peace was held by the Terry family for four successive generations.

You are the visitor to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June 25, 1999