History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
cantile business with his brother, DJ, in his present place of business. He handles a general line of goods, and has built up a large and lucrative trade. Mr. sweet married, May 2, 1884, Miss Isadore, daughter of Hiram and Levina (Manley) Linley, of Canton; he is a member of the POS of A, and is a Republican; he is serving his second term as Burgess; and also has been in the council.
Fred Taylor, lumbermen, PO Granville Centre, was born in Granville Township, this County, Jan. 13, 1859, and is a son of Levi and Sarah (Campbell) Taylor. His paternal grandparents were Jeremiah and Martha (Bailey) Taylor, natives of Connecticut, who came to Granville Township in 1800, and were the first settlers of same. Levi Taylor, father of subject, was born in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, September 19, 1797, and in 1800 came to Granville with his parents, where he was reared; he cleared several farms and resided in the Township until his death, April 27, 1890, at the age of 93. He was three times married: first time, to Louise (daughter of Sterling and Betsy (Stone) Holcomb, of LeRoy Township), by whom he had four children: Alvira (Mrs. S. Denton Perry), Betsy (Mrs. Hiram Reynolds), Volney and Sterling; his second wife was Mary Landon, and his third was Sarah Campell (daughter of James and Kesiah (Patrick) Campbell, of Tioga County, Pennsylvania), by whom he had three children: Milan, Hollis, and Fred. The subject of these lines was reared in Granville, educated at Troy High School, and after attaining his majority engaged in farming until 1890, since when he has given his time and attention to lumbering. He married, May 27, 1880, Ida, daughter of Hiram and Lucy (Saxton) Kittle, of Granville Township, and has three children, viz.: Bayard, Irene, and Elsie. He is a member of the F.& AM, Trojan Lodge, and is District Deputy Grandmaster of the I.O.O.F.. Politically he is a Republican.
George F. Taylor, a prominent farmer of Troy Township, PO Troy, was born in Columbia Township, this County, Aug. 12, 1842, a son of Howard and Betsy (Porter) Taylor. His paternal grandfather, Charles Taylor, was a son of Moses Taylor, and both were prominent farmers and pioneers of Columbia Township. Charles Taylor cleared and improved a farm on which he lived and died; his wife was Marinda Canfield, by whom he had the following children: Seba C, Dr. Charles Allen, Howard, and Alanson, Lucy J. (Mrs. Charles Ballard) and Juliette (Mrs. William Bradford). Of these, Howard occupies the old homestead in Columbia Township, where he was born and reared, and is one of the representative farmers of the Township; his wife is a daughter of John and Martha (Fruman) Porter, of Troy Township, by whom he had one son, George F., our subject, who was reared in his native Township, educated in the common schools and Troy Academy, and has spent most of his life in farming; he has resided on his present farm in Troy Township since 1869. In 1866 he married Annie C., daughter of Archibald and Clarissa (Greeno) Maynard, and granddaughter of Shubel Maynard, formerly of Vermont, and the pioneer of Troy Township. By this union there are two children, Clara B. and Maynard. Mr. Taylor is a Republican.
Harris Browning Taylor, manufacturer of lumber, cigars, and proprietary medicines, Pike Township, was born in East Herrick, this County, Jan. 29, 1841, a son of Benjamin P. and Lucy Ann (Browning) Taylor, the former of whom, a native of Connecticut and of New England origin, came with his father, Eben St. John Taylor, to Pike Township in the year 1816; the mother is a native of Orwell, Pennsylvania, of English lineage. In their family there were three children, of whom the subject of these lines is the eldest. He was reared on a farm, educated in the common school and at Mansfield State Normal School, and began life for himself at 18, teaching writing school, winters, and working a farm, summers. On April 23, 1861, he enlisted at Towanda in Company A, which was the first company organized in the County; he was the first one enlisted from his Township for the Civil War, and was mustered into the Fifth Regiment of Pennsylvania Reserves, at Harrisburg, May 15, of the same year. He participated in the following engagements: Mechanicsville, Gaines’ Mills, Charles City Cross Roads, Malvern Hill, Second Bull Run, and some minor engagements. He was wounded in the shoulder at Gaines’ Mills, and was in the hospital from September 1, 1862, to Jan. 5, 1863, where he was discharged on surgeon’s certificate of disability; then returned to Pike, purchased his present home, and lived there until 1867, when he went to Mansfield, Pennsylvania, as Steward and professor of penmanship in the State Normal School, at that place, which position he filled for two years; then returned to his present home, where he has since lived. In 1870 he began to manufacture a liniment known as "Taylor Oil," which he now handles very extensively; it has a great record as an annihiliator of rheumatism and neuralgia, and as a healing agent in sores and wounds in man or beast; he also manufactures several other medicines; and the rapid and steady increase of his business for the past 21 years stands as unrebutted evidence of the true merit of his goods. Mr. Taylor was married, Feb. 24, 1864, to Sarah E. daughter of David and Phebe (Buffington) Hine; they have no children. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, having served successively as junior and senior warden, and master of LeRoy Lodge, No. 471; and is also a Royal Arch Mason, being a member of the chapter at Towanda. He is also a member of Spaulding Post, No. 33, G. A. R., at LeRaysville, Pennsylvania, and has always been a straight Republican. He has been, physically, helpless since May 16, 1890; from the disabilities he received in the Army, but still continues the medicine business through his various agents.
H.H. Taylor, proprietor of planing mill, Canton, is a native of Granville Centre, this County, born Jan. 20, 1848, a son of Levi and Sarah (Campbell) Taylor, natives of Berkshire, Massachusetts, and Tioga County, respectively. The father, who was a farmer and lumberman, came with his parents to Sugar Creek, Burlington Township, this County, when two years of age. He taught schooling Canton Township when there was just one house where the borough now stands. By his third marriage he had three children, of whom H. H. is the second; he died in Granville Centre, April 25, 1890, in his 93rd year. The mother died in 1883, in her 69th year. H. H. Taylor was reared in Granville, and received a public school education. He worked on the farm and at the lumber business with his father until he was about 25 years of age; then engaged in the lumber business for himself. He moved, in 1885, from Granville Centre to Canton, where he engaged in building and contracting. He was married, in Canton Township, in 1871, to Madana, who was born in Canton Township, July 20, 1848, and is the youngest in order of birth in the family of eight children of Remington and Maria (Bakeman) Lewis, natives of New York State. To Mr. and Mrs. Taylor were born two children: Milan L. and Floyd D. Mrs. Taylor is a member of the Disciple Church. Mr. Taylor is a member of the F. and AM, Canton Lodge, No. 415, Troy chapter, No. 216 and Canton Commandery, No. 64; he is Past Grand in the I.O.O.F., Granville Centre, No. 687, and of the Canton Encampment; has passed the chairs in the Order. Politically he is a Republican, and is a member of the borough Council.
Hiram P. Taylor, farmer and stockmen, PO West Warren, is a native of Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, born May 17, 1818, and is a son of Israel and Theresa (Plumb) Taylor, natives of New York, and of English descent. His father was a farmer; he removed to this County in 1820, and located in Windham Township, and commenced the heroic work of clearing and preparing for a farm 100 acres of the heavy growth then everywhere; he died July 13, 1863, and his widow followed him Oct. 17, 1879. Their family consisted of nine children, of whom Hiram was the third in the order of birth. He was less than two years old when his father brought his family to this County, and grew up, a fine specimen of the pioneers boy, in wild and rugged pioneer times, and, when grown, commenced life for himself at the very bottom round of the ladder, but has labored, waited and prospered well, and owns a find farm of 160 acres, in an excellent state of cultivation, with elegant and commodious buildings. He married, in 1840, Polly, daughter of William Rodgers, a native of New York. William Rodgers’ family consisted of six children, of whom Polly was the fifth, born, reared and educated in Windham Township. To this union were born seven children, as follows: Francis E., married to Florence Lathrop, resides at Humboldt, Iowa, and has seven children; Miles, married to Ann Bowen, and has five children; Theresa (Mrs. Horace Whitman), of Newark Valley, New York; Emerson H., married to Laura Prince, is proprietor, with his brother, William, of a hotel in Nichols, New York; Charles A., born Aug. 8, 1854, died June 20, 1864; Melissa, married to Frederick Hotchkiss, and had three children (she died Oct. 13, 1886); and William M., married to Mary Madden, and resides at Nichols. Our subject’s family are all members of the Congregational Church. He has always voted the Democratic ticket, and lived an honest, industrious, and exemplary life; was 12 years Commissioner, eight-years school director, and full-term postmaster.
J. H.Taylor, mechanic, Wyalusing, was born in Tuscarora Township, this County, September 25, 1840, a son of Walter and Sallie C. (Montgomery) Taylor, natives of Delaware County, New York. The father, who was a farmer, came to Bradford County Jan. 1, 1840, and located on a farm in Tuscarora Township, where he resided until his death, Aug. 30, 1873, in his 62nd year; his widow died, Jan. 15, 1887, aged 64; they had three children, viz.: Andrew, on the old homestead in Tuscarora Township; Olly A., married to C.H. Newman, a farmer in Tuscarora Township, and J. H. Our subject was born and reared on a farm, and educated in the common schools. He followed farming until March 30, 1864, when he enlisted in Company G, 50th P. V. V. I.; he was in the battles of the Wilderness and Petersburg. On May 6, 1864, during the battle of the Wilderness, he received a gunshot wound in the left thigh, the ball ranging downwards and backwards, lodging close to the knee, where it was cut out; he was in the hospital until Christmas, 1864, when he rejoined his regiment before Petersburg. He served with his regiment until July 30, 1865, when he was mustered out. For two years after his return home he followed farming, and then worked at a blacksmith trade about a year; then began working at the carpenters trade, which he followed 15 successive years. He purchased a farm in Tuscarora Township, and operated it about seven years, when he sold his farm and opened a store in Wyalusing, Oct. 28, 1890. Mr. Taylor was united in marriage, April 12, 1861, with Nancy J. Hitchcock, daughter of Marshall Hitchcock, of Herrick Township, and they have been blessed with four children: James E, married to Clarissa Brown, and residing in Wyalusing; Laura, married to Jacob Neskey, also residing in Wyalusing; DL and Dora May. Mr. Taylor is a member of Jackson Post, No. 74, G.A.R., is a Republican, and has held various Township offices during his residence in Tuscarora.
John M. Taylor, farmer, Tuscarora Township, PO Springhill, was born October 7, 1827, on his present place in Tuscarora Township, was reared on a farm, and educated in the common schools. He is a son of Aholiah, and Mary A. (Ackley) Taylor, the former a native of Wyalusing, a son of John Taylor who was a daring pioneer of Bradford County, and among the early settlers of Wyalusing; he was also Captain of a company in the War of 1812, and his brother James is numbered among the Revolutionary heroes who sacrificed their lives for their country's glory and independence. Capt. Buck, who was one of the victims of the merciless Wyoming massacre, was the great-grandfather of the subject of the sketch. Mr. Taylor's father settled in Tuscarora in 1821, and was one of the three first settlers of the Township. Our subject began life for himself at his father's death, April 24, 1849, farming on the old homestead and was married, Dec. 28, 1854, to Harriet A., daughter of James and Amanda (Lake) Coburn, of Tuscarora, and they have seven children, as follows: Charles E., born Sept. 18, 1855, now engaged in the hotel business at Manchester, Connecticut; Addie L., born April 27, 1857, died July 22, 1858; Hiram E., born May 4, 1858, died Feb. 6, 1865; Jennie R., born October 7, 1861, married to M. G. Barton, a manufacturer, at Chicago, Illinois; James A., born July 2, 1864, engaged in farming with his father in Tuscarora; Vida E., born Jan. 14, 1866, and Ruth A., born June 4, 1869, a teacher. In politics Mr. Taylor is a pronounced Republican.
J. R. Taylor, farmer and stock grower, of Wyalusing Township, PO Wyalusing, was born in Moravia, New York, April 16, 1832, a son of George and Abigail (Baldwin) Taylor, the former of whom was a native of Wyalusing, and the latter of Bloomfield, New Jersey. The grandfather was Major John Taylor, prominent in the early history of this County. The Major's parents were from Scotland, but he was born in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, and was among the few hearty settlers found in Wyalusing Valley in 1792. The great grandmother, Mrs. Aholiab Buck, was one of the few to escape from the Indians at Wyoming, and she carried the grandmother of our subject (then an infant) through to Connecticut on horseback. The father of our subject was born Nov. 19, 1797, and died June 30, 1842; he was married, Oct. 18, 1826, and was licensed as a Presbyterian minister, April 28, 1824, and ordained Feb. 15, 1825; during his life he was a farmer, but afterward began the study of theology. After graduating from Princeton College he entered the ministry, where he remained until his death; he was a hard student, and eloquent speaker and earnest worker in his chosen profession. By his first marriage he became the father of three children, viz.: Sarah L., married to Jessie R. Smith, a farmer of Monroe County; Mary E, married to Washington Ingham, of Sugar Run, and J. R.. George Taylor, the father, married, for his second wife, Caroline Ward, and they had two children: John W., cashier of the First National Bank, Kalamazoo, Michigan, and George W., merchant of the same place. The subject of these lines passed his boyhood until eight or nine years old at Moravia, New York; his father dying about that time, he made his home with his grandfather, John Taylor, in Wyalusing, and was educated in the Wyalusing schools. After reaching his majority he took up farming, and 1853 he purchased his first farm (where I.M. Allis now resides), which he owned until 1860, when he purchased his present farm containing 105 acres; it was a wilderness when he obtained possession, not an acre cleared, but he has since cleared it and fitted for the plow, built a handsome and substantial farm buildings, and he now has one of the prettiest farms in his section. Mr. Taylor was united in marriage, June 25, 1861, with Abigail Vaughn, daughter of John and Jane (Overton) Vaughn, and this union has been blessed with two children: George V., born Aug. 27, 1869, and James I., born Sept. 27, 1874, died Sept. 5, 1875. Politically Mr. Taylor is a Republican, and he has filled various Township offices.
J. W. Taylor, proprietor of the "Packard House," Canton, is a native of Burlington, this County, born July 30, 1836, a son of John M. and Ruth Ann (Albro) Taylor, natives of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania; the father, who was a farmer, died in Athens in April, 1890, in his 76th year; the mother died in Monroeton, in February, 1879, in her 64th year. Great-grandfather Major Taylor served several years in the Revolutionary War, and was mustered out in Washington's own handwriting. The subject of this memoir, who is the eldest in a family of nine children-six daughters and three sons-was reared in Burlington and Franklin Townships, receiving a public school education; then went to Franklindale in the fall of 1860, and was engaged in the hotel business there three years. In 1863 he removed to Covington, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, where he kept the "Covington House" until 1864. He enlisted, Aug. 26, 1864, in Battery B, Third New York Light Artillery, and was in active service until the close of the war; was mustered out at Syracuse, New York, July 13, 1865, and returned to Franklindale, where he was engaged in the hotel business a short time, after which he was engaged in the lumber business. In 1881 he removed to Fallbrook, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, and was there foremen for the Fallbrook Coal Company five years; then, in 1886, came to Canton, and took charge of the "Packard House." Mr. Taylor was married, in Burlington, in 1859, to Jane, daughter of John and Katy (Hoover) Kirkendall, natives of Berwick, Columbia County, and Bradford County, Pennsylvania. She is the sixth in a family of seven living children, and was born in Towanda in 1839. To Mr. and Mrs. Taylor were born four children, of whom two are living: Lillie Blanche, wife of E.D. Rosa, residing in Elkland, Tioga County, Pennsylvania; and Fred R. Mrs. Taylor is a member of the Evangelical Church. Mr. Taylor is a member of the G. A. R., Ingram Post, No. 91, and Knights of Honor, Fallbrook, No. 2506. Politically he is a Republican.
Hon. L. D. Taylor, dealer in general merchandise, Granville Centre, was born in Granville, this County, Nov. 28, 1820, a son of Jeremiah and Mary (White) Taylor. The paternal grandfather was Jeremiah Taylor, formerly of Berkshire County, Massachusetts, who settled in Granville in 1800, cleared and improved a farm and died there; his wife was Martha Bailey, by whom he had four children: Jeremiah, Levi, Sylvester, and Abigail (Mrs. Isaac Putnam). Of these, Jeremiah, the eldest son, cleared a part of the old homestead, and in connection with his farming interests conducted a grist and sawmill, also a chair and rake factory, and did an extensive business; his chairs are now looked upon as heirlooms by many of the families of Granville; his wife was a daughter of David and Mary (Ferris) White, pioneers of Troy Township, and by her he had four children; Benjamin F., Luman D., Limira (Mrs. Dennis Perry) and Malvine (Mrs. Herman Bush). The subject of his sketch was reared in Granville, where he has always resided. In early life he taught school, winters, and assisted his father in business affairs. In December 1847, he married Matilda, daughter of Sterling and Betsy (Stone) Holcomb, of LeRoy Township, and has one child, Ella (Mrs. S. M. Manley). In the same month and year he embarked in general merchandising at Granville Centre, in which he has since continued successfully, and also cleared and improved a large farm in the Township. He is a member of the Church of Christ, and was superintendent of the Sabbath-School 15 years. Politically he has always been a Republican, and was postmaster in Granville Centre nearly 30 years; in 1881 he was elected a member of the State Legislature, serving one term.
Orlando Taylor, farmer, PO Granville Centre, was born in Granville Township, this County, April 13, 1832, and is the only child of Sylvester and Susannah (Dewitt) Taylor. His paternal grandparents, Jeremiah and Martha (Bailey) Taylor, natives of Connecticut, located in Granville Township in 1800, and were the first settlers of the same. Sylvester, father of subject, and who was the first white child born in Granville (the date of his birth being October 9, 1803), resided in the Township until his death, in January, 1881. He was a farmer by occupation, cleared some land, was a man of considerable literary taste, and spent some time in gathering material for a history of Bradford County, the manuscript of which is in the possession of his son, Orlando. For many years he was a frequent contributor to the press, both religious and secular, and his contributions were characterized by the forcible and vigorous expression of his ideas. In 1840 he was Deputy Marshall, and took the census of the western half of Bradford County; he was postmaster at Granville Centre 24 years in succession. His wife was a daughter of Paul and Elizabeth (Slye) DeWitt, of German descent natives of Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, and among the first settlers of West Burlington Township. Orlando Taylor was reared in Granville Township, where he has always resided and been engaged in farming. He married, April 17, 1853, Esther M., daughter of Lewis D. and Minerva (Sabins) Fowler, who in 1845, settled on a farm now occupied by subject, which they cleared and improved, and they resided there until 1881, when they removed to LeRoy Township. Mr. and Mrs. Orlando Taylor have two children: Melda (Mrs. Charles F. Gray) and Encell (who married Euphemia Shedden). Mr. and Mrs. Taylor are members of the Church of Christ; he is a member of the F. and AM, Trojan Lodge, and of the P of H; in politics is a Republican.
Volney Taylor, farmer, of Granville Township, PO Granville Centre, was born in Granville Township, Bradford County, Pennsylvania, Feb. 14, 1829, and is a son of Levi and Louise (Holcomb) Taylor. His paternal grandparents, Jeremiah and Martha (Bailey) Taylor, settled in Granville Township, this County, in 1800; his paternal grandparents, Sterling and Betsy (Stone) Holcomb, were pioneers of LeRoy Township, same County, and the great-grandfather, Eli Holcomb, was a pioneer of Ulster Township. Levi Taylor was reared in Granville Township from three years of age, was a farmer by occupation and cleared and improved a farm now owned by Charles G. Sayles, where he died April 27, 1890, in his 93rd year. He was thrice married: first time to Louisa, daughter of Sterling and Betsy (Stone) Holcomb, of LeRoy Township, and by her he had four children: Alvira (Mrs. S. D. Perry), Sterling, Betsey (Mrs. Hiram Reynold) and Volney; his second wife was Mary Landon, and his third, Sarah Campbell, by whom he had three children: Milan, Hollis, and Fred. Our subject was reared in Granville where he has always resided engaged in farming, and has lived on his present farm since 1869. He has been twice married: first time to Laura Jennings, of Troy, Pennsylvania, and afterwards to Francina Babb, of Granville. Mr. Taylor is a member of the Church of Christ, and in politics is a Republican.
Lewis H. Tears, Troy, was born in Troy Township, this County, May 6, 1832, the eldest son of Benjamin S. and Mattie (Lamb) Tears. His paternal grandfather, Isaac Tears, a native of Orange County, New York, settled in Troy Township about 1820, cleared and improved a farm and resided in the Township till his death. He was twice married, his first wife being Mary Tidd, and his second wife, Betsey Hammond. He reared a large family and was one of the founders of the Presbyterian Church in Troy. Benjamin S. Tears who was the eldest child by the second marriage, in early life followed farming and teaching, and was for some years engaged in the mercantile business in LeRoy, was a deacon in the Baptist Church, and died in Troy in 1886, age 76 years. His first wife, Mattie, was a daughter of James and Sarah (Oaks) Lamb (natives of Scotland and New England, respectively), who settled in Troy Township in 1808; by her he had four children: Lewis H., David O. (killed in the Civil War), Truman H., and Mary R. (Mrs. James A. Hickock). His second wife was Elizabeth Coburn, of Susquehanna County, and by her he had three children: Miles, Isaac F., and Mary. Lewis H. Tears was reared in this County, educated in the common school and Troy academy, and followed farming until twenty-five years of age. He then became a traveling salesman, which business he followed continuously for 20 years. Since 1886 he has been general agent, for New York and Pennsylvania for the Stanford Whip Co., of Westfield, Massachusetts. In 1856 he married Laura S., daughter of Walker and Laura (Strait) Pierce, of Troy Township, and has by her two children: Alice E. (Mrs. George G. Beardsley) and Carrie M., (Mrs. E. B. Calkins).
W. I. Teed, dealer in groceries and notions, Sayre, is a native of Delaware County, and was born October 8, 1847, a son of David and Eunavilda (Brown) Teed, the former a native of Tompkins County, New York, and the latter of near Mount Holyoke, Massachusetts. She is a descendant of one of the three Brown Brothers who came from England to this country in an early day. David Teed is a farmer and resided in Delaware County, New York. W. I. Teed, who is the sixth in a family of seven children, received an academic education in his native place, and was graduated at Eastman's Commercial College; then he taught three terms, and clerked in a store about one year: then bought the business out after entering into a partnership with another gentleman, remaining there in business for nearly 15 years; the business consisted of general dry goods and groceries; then came to Sayre, in March 1884, and engaged in the grocery and notion trade, and has continued in same since. He was married in Delaware County, New York, in 1867, to Miss Alice, daughter of Philip and Harriet (Pratt) Utley, natives of Cooperstown, New York; she is the youngest in a family of eight children, and was born near Cooperstown, New York, in July 1847. To this union were born four children, as follows: Edwin W., Utley, Leon, and Luvern. Mr. Teed is a member of the Fraternal Alliance and Fraternal Guardians, and is a Republican.
Hugh Templeton, farmer, Smithfield Township, PO Ulster, was born in the parish of Dunlap, Ayrshire, Scotland, December 19, 1814, the birthplace of Robert Burns, and is a son of Robert and Jane (Smith) Templeton, and his father was a manufacturer of linen lint from the raw flax. Mr. Templeton was tenth in a family of 11 children, and came to this country in 1841, when 26 years of age. On the same ship was Marion Ritchie, whom he married in November 1843. She was born in Mauchline Parish (which is also in Ayrshire, Scotland), in 1812, one of a family of six. Mr. and Mrs. Templeton have had six children, of whom the following are living: Ella, born July 18, 1846, married to Huston McKinney; Mary Jane, born July 20, 1848, married to E.P. Lenox; Robert, born May 18, 1850, married to Deliah Rosengrant; Marion, born April 8, 1852, married to Alonzo Rose. Robert, the only son, lives on the farm with his father, and has one son, Herbert P., born Aug. 8, 1882. The family are Democratic in politics; they are successful farmers, having come here when the country was new, and had experienced all the privations of the pioneer. Mr. Templeton is a pleasant and honorable neighbor, and is respected by the whole community.
James Terry, Justice of the peace, Evergreen, was born in Standing Stone Township, this County, December 2, 1838, a son of John and Catherine (Betts) Terry the former of whom, a mason by trade and a farmer, was born near Leeds, England, and came to America when about 30 years of age, settling in Bradford County about 1835; the mother was a native of Greene, Chenango County, New York (her father, Erastus Betts, was a soldier in the War of 1812, and a pensioner). Our subject and two brothers were in the Civil War; he (James) enlisted in the first company that left the County in April 1861, at the first call for troops; reenlisted March 8, 1862, in Co. D., Eighth United States Infantry, in which he remained one year and four months, and again reenlisted in March 1864, in Battery C, Second Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, in which he was a sergeant; was discharged in January 1866, and assigned to the Freedman’s Bureau, his appointment being in the detective services in Surrey and Sussex Counties, Virginia. At the close of the services he settled at Evergreen, in Albany Township, where he has since been continually in political office; was a school director and a constable; then assessor, 11 terms; is a Republican and has served the people faithfully; is now Justice of the peace, which position he has held four terms, and has also an extensive law practice; in the fall of 1890 he was a candidate for the Legislature; is a member of the G. A. R. and of the F. & A.M. Mr. Terry was married, December 15, 1858, to Roxanna Carter, of Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, and there have been born to them three children, as follows: Addie L., Alfred H., and Draper T. Mr. Terry H. a man of activity, respected by a large circle of friends.
A. H. Thomas, farmer, PO Troy, was born Sept. 9, 1829, in Troy Township, this County, on the farm where he now resides, and is a son of Alvin W. and Amy (Harding) Thomas. His paternal grandparents were Jacob and Susannah (Rowley) Thomas, natives of New Hampshire and Vermont, respectively, who settled in Troy Township in 1808, locating on the farm occupied by subject, where they made an improvement, and about 1820 removed to the farm now owned by W. A. Thomas, and there died; they had a family of eight children who grew to maturity; Zeruah (Mrs. Samuel Case), Alvin W, Samuel, Hiram,, Chester, Allen, Lucy M. (Mrs. Dummer Lilley) and William A. Of these, Alvin W. was a native of Vermont, and chiefly cleared and improved the farm now owned and occupied by subject, and died there; his wife was a daughter of Samuel and Love (Mayhew) Harding, of Sullivan, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, and by her he had nine children: Lorenzo, Alex H., Charles B. (kills at the Battle of Fredericksburg in the Civil War), Lucy M. (Mrs. E. D.Thomas), Susan (Mrs. Edwin M. Slade), Julia (Mrs. Newton McClelland), Alvin W., Jr. (a soldier in Civil War, and died at Camp Hamilton), Emma (Mrs. John Lilley) and Jacob. A. H. Thomas was reared in Troy Township, has spent his life in farming in that and Canton Township, and has permanently resided on the old homestead since 1870. In 1850 he married Elizabeth, daughter of John S. and Hannah, (Kiff) Becker, of Armenia Township, and has six children: Adolphus E., Bolivar P., Henry, Eugenia (Mrs. Milton A.Case), Alvin, and Meade. Mr. Thomas is a representative farmer of Troy Township; is one of the charter members of the Troy Farmers’ Club, was its first president after charter was obtained, and served in that capacity 14 years; politically he is a Democrat.
Hiram W. Thomas, farmer, Troy Township, PO Granville Summit, was born in Troy Township, this County, Jan. 28, 1838, a son of Samuel and Lydia P. (Wright) Thomas; his paternal grandparents were Jacob and Susannah (Rowley) Thomas, natives of New Hampshire and Vermont, respectively, who settled in Troy Township in 1808, locating on the farm now occupied by A.H. Thomas, and, about 1820, on the farm now owned by William A. Thomas, and died there. Samuel Thomas, father of the subject of the sketch, is one of the oldest residents of Troy Township, and cleared and improved the farm where he now resides; his wife was a daughter of Jerome Wright, of Canton Township, by whom he had nine children, as follows: John C., Mary J. (Mrs. William Vanderlip); Lydia S. (Mrs. John C. May); Hiram W., C. Ellen (Mrs. Ephiram M. Clark), Fidelia A. (Mrs. Burton A. Porter), William H.H. (who died a prisoner at Andersonville during the Civil War), David W., and Martha A. (Mrs. Thomas M. Scott). Hiram W. Thomas was reared in Troy Township, where he has nearly always resided, and cleared and improved the farm he now occupies. He married, June 1, 1862, Mary J., daughter of David H. and Sarah (Place) Duart, who settled in Canton Township in 1841; the issue of this union is one daughter, Sarah A. (Mrs. Russell H. Coe). Mr. Thomas was in the Civil War, having enlisted Sept. 3, 1864, in Co. K., 15th New York Engineer Volunteers, and was honorably discharged, June 13, 1865; both he and his wife are members of the Free Will Baptist Church, and in politics he is a Republican.
John W. Thomas, farmer, of Athens Township, PO Wilawana, was born in Barton, Tioga County, New York, Aug. 10, 1823, a son of Isaac and Drucilla (Morris) Thomas, the former born in New Jersey, the latter in Albany, New York. Isaac Thomas, who was a soldier in the War of 1812, removed to Albany about 1821, but soon after went to Tioga County, where he remained eight years; then removed to Athens Township and resided their seven years; returning to Tioga County, New York, he here made his home until his death, which occurred while he was on a visit to New Jersey; his children were five the number--two sons and three daughters--four of whom are now living, and are now all settled in sight of one another. John W., who is the eldest in the family, was reared and educated in Athens Township, and always