History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
years ago he engaged as a clerk in a store until 1857, when he went to Carbondale, where he was prostrated by sickness, from which he recovered in 1859. He was in a similar employ at Orwell Hill, where he remained until 1864; then moved to LeRaysville, and engaged in mercantile business on his own account, remaining until 1867; then went to Orwell Hill, and with G. C. Frisbee conducted a store, and with different partners was merchandising until 1879, when he sold and removed to Towanda, having been elected in 1878 register and recorder of Bradford county, ably serving the people three years. In March, 1882, he removed to the old Frisbie homestead, where he has since resided. He was united in marriage October 17, 1855, with N.N. Newell. To Mr. and Mrs. Frisbie have been born five children: Cora St. Leon (born October 31, 1856, married to P. A. Pendleton), Kate L. (born July 11, 1858, married to N. N. Elsbree), George C. (born December 24, 1861), Mary E. (born April 29, 1864, married to W. B. Payson), Edwin N. (born September 24, 1870). Mr. Frisbee is a member of the F. & A.M., and of the K. of P. at Towanda, he is a Republican, and has held the various township offices. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church.
A.G. Frisbie was born and reared on the old Frisbie homestead farm, and received a common-school education. His farm was located in Allis Hollow, and contained 100 acres of land, which he cleared and fitted for the plow, and here he lived from his twenty-fourth year until 1867, when he removed to his present farm known as the "Minor Taylor" farm, which is well stocked with cattle, horses, etc. He was united in wedlock, December 5, 1850, with Ordelia, daughter of Abel and Laura (Allis) Darling, and to them have been born the following named children: William E., born February 18, 1853, married to Cyntha Bull; Ann Elizabeth, born January 2, 1855, married to Hiram E. Bull; Stewart G., born August 27, 1857, married to Mary A. Newman; Frank Darling, born February 28, 1859, died September 7, 1866; Levi A., born August 15, 1861; Laura C., born March 14, 1863, married to Charles Werkheiser, and Kate, born August 5, 1866. Mr. Frisbie was for years a member of the Orwell Artillery Company; was elected second lieutenant of that organization, May 14, 1846, and promoted to captain June 23, 1847, and to major June 4, 1849. During the Rebellion he served in the construction corps attached to the Army of the West, and spent five months in Tennessee. His father, Levi Frisbie, Jr., was a strict church member, unflinching in pursuing the course he thought to be right; was honest and upright in all his business transactions, and bitterly opposed to the use of intoxicants. He was married, March 3, 1825, to Chloe Chubbuck, and to them were born the following named children; A. G.; Catherine, born July 29, 1828, married to Stewart Line; Eaton N., born June 24, 1832; Wilbur E.; Laura P., married to Frank Bachman; Joseph A., a coal merchant of Elmira, N.Y.; Eaton N., president of the S. & L.V.R.R., and who was mayor of the city of Elmira, N.Y., one term. The mother died August 20, 1869, and the father November 23, 1889. Mr. A. G. Frisbie is a staunch Republican, and has held the various town offices.
FRANK FRISBIE, blacksmith, Durell, was born July 21, 1863, in Asylum township, Bradford Co., Pa., and is a son of Myron and Susana Ann (Grippin) Frisbie, natives of Asylum, and of Yankee and Scotch-Irish extraction. The son was reared to the trade of his father, blacksmithing, and now owns the place which had been managed many years previously by his father. He was in the Southern States some years, and returning here has since continued to carry on general blacksmithing business, also a nice trade in agricultural implements, harness, hardware and all kinds of lubricating oils. He was married, April 2, 1884, to Georgia Reynolds who was born in Wysox, this county, August 4, 1863, third in a family of five children of George and Mathilda (Porter) Reynolds, natives of New York state. There have been born
to Mr. and Mrs. Frisbie four children, two of whom are living: Leon W., born January 21, 1888, and Josie, born July 18, 1890. Mr. Frisbie is a member of the Patrons of Industry, in politics he is a Republican, and takes an intelligent interest in the affairs of the community.
W. L. FRISBIE, M.D., Potterville, was born March 25, 1834, in Orwell, this county, where his brother, A.C. Frisbie resides, was reared on a farm, educated at the common schools of Orwell, and had also an academic training. When twenty-four years old he began business for himself, farming and teaching, his first school being in Warren when he was twenty years old; thus was he engaged six years in this county, and Carroll county, Ill. When twenty-eight years of age he began the study of medicine, reading under Dr. Oliver Lewis, of Orwell, and in 1867 entered Hobart College, Geneva, N.Y., where he was graduated in the spring of 1869. He then located in Pottersville and continued in the practice, except from May 7, 1874 to May 14, 1875, which time was spent on Orwell Hill. He was married October 26, 1859, to Alswitha Knapp, daughter of Hiram L. and Elizabeth (Eastabrook) Knapp, the former of whom was a physician, a graduate of the Albany School of Medicine; he had children as follows: Martha, married to N.C. Elsbree; Theresa, married to Manson Elsbree; Alswitha; Dr. Hiram L., practicing at Windham, a graduate of the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati; Elizabeth H., widow of H. Taylor; Armenia, first married to Dr. Benjamin Babcock, after whose death she married Charles Crandall; Dr. C.B., of Washington State, a graduate of Hobart Medical College, N.Y.; M.L., a farmer; and Josephine, married to P.F. Elsworth, of Windham. Dr. and Mrs. Frisbie have had three children, viz.: Armenia H., born August 27, 1862, married W.L. Carrington, of Orwell; Dr. H. Zebulon, born June 30, 1867, educated at Orwell, and has attended one course of lectures at Jefferson College, Philadelphia; and Paul, born September 6, 1872. Dr. W.L. Frisbie is a member of A.Y.M., of Rome; he is a Republican and has held the office of justice of the peace ten years, also that of school director; he does a general practice, and has been highly successful. The family are members of the Congregational Church.
WILLIAM FRISBY, farmer, P.O. Evergreen was born in Asylum township, this county, January 13, 1815, a son of John and Elizabeth (Ackley) Frisby, who were descended from Eastern people. The grandfather settled in Bradford county, at the place known as "Frisby’s Springs," where it is supposed John was born. John Frisby removed to Asylum township when a young man, and married Miss Elizabeth Ackley, by whom he had two sons. John Frisby and one of his sons went to Ohio, where he died. William, the younger son, remained in this county, was reared and educated in Asylum, and always followed agricultural pursuits, being more of a producer than a consumer. On July 9, 1840, he married in Asylum, Miss Charlotte, daughter of John and Margaret Wood, and there were born to this union eight children, all of whom grew to maturity, five now living, viz.: Myron, a blacksmith; John, a farmer, Henry, a farmer; Ulysses, a telegraph operator at Dushore, and William, who is living at home with his father, whom he assists on the farm. William married, March 13, 1884, Emma, 818
daughter of James and Catherine Simmons, and there have been born to them two children, Estella, now six years of age, and Cassie, now four years of age. He removed from Asylum to Terry township, in 1867, where he has since lived. He purchased his farm of Bills & McCue, the place then consisting of 134 acres, but has been sold until now only fifty-two acres remain. He is a large, muscular man, measuring six feet four inches; is a general farmer, raising whatever the soil will produce with a fair profit. He has made many improvements in the erection of buildings; when he moved on the place there was only a small log house which served its purpose for a time. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Benjamin Ackley, father of Mrs. Elizabeth Frisby, removed to Asylum in 1782, in company with Amos Bennett and Joshua Bailey, and settled in the "Bend", now owned by Richard Benjamin.
EDWARD FROST, of J.O. Frost’s Sons, Furniture manufacturers, Towanda, was born in Rush, Susquehanna Co., Pa., September 8, 1846, and is a son of James O. and Chloe (Hill) Frost. He was reared in Bradford county, and educated in the common and public schools and Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, and began life as a clerk in his father’s furniture store in Towanda, and was admitted as a member of the firm of J.O. Frost & Sons in 1871, and on the reorganization of the firm in 1876, became the senior member of the firm of J.O. Frost’s Sons, and since 1883 have been manufacturers of furniture exclusively. May 10, 1870, he married Sarah, daughter of Mrs. Jane Hovey, of Towanda, by whom he has had four children as follows: Herbert (died at the age of two and a half years), Jennie, Maude and Edward. He is an attendant of the Presbyterian Church and was burgess of Towanda in 1886, and again in 1888, and served as councilman three terms; he was chief of Towanda Fire Department in 1890, and once before; he was a member of company G, Ninth Pennsylvania Militia five years, and was sergeant and quartermaster of the company; politically he is a staunch Republican.
E.M. FROST, of the firm of E.N. Frost & Son, dealers in furniture and undertakers, Athens, is a native of Bradford county, Pa., born August 25, 1848, a son of E.N. and Sarah (Parks) Frost, also natives of this county. E.N. Frost began the furniture and undertaking business in Rome, and came to Athens in 1877, where he was engaged in the same business until the time of his death, in November 1885, when he was in his sixtieth year; his widow survives. Her great-grandmother was in the Wyoming massacre. E.M. Frost is the second in a family of three children. When a young man he was in the drug business in Rome for five years, and in 1879 he came to Athens and formed a partnership with his father, in the furniture and undertaking business, under the firm name of E.N. Frost & Son; they have two store rooms, also several warerooms, and are one of the leading firms in their line of business in the county. Mr. Frost was married in Rome, November 18, 1868, to Sallie W., daughter of Reuben and Mary (West) Thompson, natives of this county (she is the younger of two children, and was born in Sheshequin township in 1851). Mr. and Mrs. Frost have one daughter, Clara A. Mr. Frost is a Sir Knight
Templar and a member of the I.O.O.F., Rome Lodge, No., 320; Roya Arcanum, Sexennial League and Equitable Aid Union, and in politics is a Republican.
JAMES O. FROST, manufacturer, Towanda, is the founder and head of the extensive furniture manufactory of J.O. Frost & Sons. This gentleman is entitled to prominence among those who have contributed so materially to the development of the interests of Bradford county, especially its mills and factories. From humble beginnings, with no aids but his bare hands and strong perceptions, he has worked his way to success over difficulties that would have appalled many a man. He has stood helplessly by and seen the fruits of years of patient toil swept away in an hour, in flames and smoke, and has recommenced building his fortune from the very foundation. That man who is not utterly cast down under some misfortunes if the self-contained man if infinite resources, and is of the type of manhood that builds States and founds great communities. He was born in Wilberham, Mass., November 26, 1820, of Aaron and Polly (Craw) Frost, natives of Massachusetts of English descent; his father, a farmer and miller, who came with his family to Bradford county, locating in Orwell township in 1832, died on his farm on January 17, 1855, full of years and honors. His family consisted of four sons and four daughters, of whom James O. Frost was next to the youngest, and grew to manhood in his father’s household, dividing his time between the country school house, the farm and his father’s mill, and on reaching his majority, he found employment as a miller until 1845, when he built one of his own at Middletown, Susquehanna county. After operating this two years he returned to Orwell and built the Potterville mill and operated it ten years, and then came to Towanda, and soon thereafter organized and built what is now one of the most important industries of the borough---the Frost Furniture Manufacturing Co., by Frost & Sons, opening the same for business in 1882, and increasing its capacity from that time to the present, now employing about 100 hands and having all the latest improved machinery in such institutions. He was married at Wysox, December 8, 1842 to Miss Chloe, daughter of Chester Hill; she is a native of this county; her people are of English descent. Their family of children are as follows: Elsie (Mrs. Col. J.F. Means), Edward, one of the partners with his father; Lester R., also a partner in the factory; Helen M., wife of Henry Dodge, teller in the First National Bank, Towanda, and George E., also one of the firm of Frost & Sons. Mr. and Mrs. Frost are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he has been trustee, and is one of the prominent promoters in the organization. While in Orwell he filled the office of school director, and all his life has been among the most public-spirited citizens. With him it may be said that it is always the general good first, and then he is an earnest Republican.
REUBEN FRUTCHEY, farmer New Era, was born in Northhampton county, Pa., April 16, 1824, the son of William and Sally (Smith) Frutchey, both of whom were born in the same county. His father was a carpenter and followed this occupation a number of years; his family consisted of six children, all of whom grew to maturity, and five
are now living. Reuben is the third of the family, and was reared and educated between Northhampton and Monroe counties. In early life he learned the millwright trade, at which he worked forty-four years, working all over this and adjacent counties in erecting saw and grist mills. He removed to the county when twenty-one years of age, locating in Terrytown on the Susquehanna river, in 1845. He married February 5, 1847, Miss Mary Ann, daughter of Septimus and Margaret Bacon; they had born to them seven children, six of whom grew to maturity: Francis, Heber, Philemon, Edward E., Joseph and Lesley. Mrs. Frutchey was born in Huntington, Luzerne Co., Pa., December 28, 1828 and came to this county about 1844; her ancestors were of New England birth, but French extraction; her parents removed from Monroe to Luzerne county; her grandmother Bacon raised silk-worms along the Huntington creek, Luzerne county, to a great advantage, and sent the raw material to New York City, where it was manufactured into fabrics of value and beauty. Mr. Frutchey has lived on his present farm fifteen years; he is a general farmer but pay especial attention to fruit raising; he has two hundred peach trees of various kinds, also German prunes, apricots, etc., his farm consists of seventy acres of fertile land; Mr. Frutchey is a Presbyterian; in politics he is a Democrat.
W.R. FULFORD, train dispatcher, Sayre, is a native of Standing Stone, this county, and was born May 14, 1859, a son of John R. and Sallie A. (Huff) Fulford, the former a native of New Jersey and the latter of this county. The father is a blacksmith, and resides in Standing Stone. Our subject, who is the second in order of birth in a family of four children, was reared in Standing Stone, and at the age of eighteen years began an apprenticeship at telegraphy at his native place. In 1879 he went to Lincoln, Neb., and had charge of a telegraph office there about two years; then returned home and went to Laceyville, where he remained until February 1, 1883, when he came to Sayre. He was promoted to assistant train dispatcher in December, 1886, and to his present position December 15, 1889. He was married in Towanda, October 12, 1887, to Miss Anna, daughter of Thomas C. and Harriet (Mathewson) DeLano, the former a native of Oneida county, N.Y., the latter of Athens township. Thomas C. DeLano was a merchant for more than thirty years in this county, and is now in Chicago, Ill. Mrs. Fulford’s great-grandfathers, Mathewson and Stevens, were officers in the Revolutionary War. She is the younger of two children, and was born at Spanish Hill, Sayre township, this county, March 17, 1861; her sister, Harriet, married W.H. Poole, of Chicago, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Fulford are members of the Episcopal Church. He is a member of the Patriotic Sons of America, is a Democrat, and hold the office of borough auditor.
EDGAR S. FULLER, first opened his eyes upon this busy world on the third of January, 1845, in the township of Herrick, this county, but came to Camptown in 1856 or 1857, when his father, Almon Fuller, moved his family to the latter place. Edgar was the third child in a family of nine, seven of whom are now living, and received the usual education, which in those days, was accorded to the average child of a thrifty farmer. It consisted of a few months of each year in the common
821 public schools, usually presided over by a splendid specimen of physical manhood and birch "gads". Our subject was however, an apt scholar, and made the most of his opportunities, which resulted in such success as, at the age of twenty, enabled him to change his position from that of a pupil to a teacher. For three years he presided in the school rooms, and then turned his attention to a mercantile career by entering the employ of Dunham & Dyer, manufacturers, of New Era, Pa., as traveling salesman, his territory lying principally in the State of Illinois. This position he continued until January 26, 1868, when he gave it up, and two days thereafter formed a partnership with Griffin Magee, a practical tanner, and built a large two-story tannery in Camptown, the upper floor of which was devoted to the manufacture of harness, over which Mr. Fuller assumed direct supervision. The business flourished for a couple of years, when the firm was dissolved by mutual consent, and Mr. Fuller prepared to carry on the manufacture of harness on a more extensive scale, and to infuse his ideas of progressive enterprise into a business which he had decided to make a life work. The large factory which he now occupies was speedily built, and "E.S. Fuller’s Excelsior Harness Shop" at once took front rank in that line of business, not only in the county, but throughout the northeastern part of the State. He was not a practical harness maker to begin with, but by employing the best of workmen and watching closely their methods, he soon became an expert with the knife and thread, having mastered his trade without serving an apprenticeship. He manufactured none but the best of goods, which, together with honorable methods and a liberal use of printers’ ink, secured him a patronage equaled by few concerns of the kind in this section. His harness regularly took the red ribbons at the annual county fairs, and today he has customers in many distant towns, to say nothing of the exclusive control of the local trade. In addition to the manufacture of harness he is an extensive dealer in horse furnishing goods – robes, blankets, dusters, whips, Irish and Scotch collars, oils, etc. Mr. Fuller is a splendid specimen of the self-made man, who, from the groundwork of brain and muscle, has forced his way, unaided, through the vicissitudes of life to a prominent position in the business world, and is looked upon as one of the leading business men of the section in which he lives. On October, 27, 1868, Mr. Fuller married Miss Amanda M. Camp, daughter of Homer Camp, of Camptown, a lady of refinement and most excellent parentage. Of this union five children have been born, three of whom – Harriet A., Almon H, and Emily S. – are living. Loula Belle and Elizabeth died in infancy. Mr. Fuller is a steward and trustee of the M.E. Church of Camptown, a member of the State Encampment, and Past Chief Patriarch I.O.O.F. He enlisted in the army during the Rebellion, but the war closed before his services were demanded on the field. Politically, his is an influential Republican, and has filled the various town offices with credit and honor.
GEORGE L. FULLER, salesman, Athens, is a native of Sheshequin township, this county, and was born June 10, 1841, a son of Richard and Salinda (Blackman) Fuller, also native of Sheshequin township.
The father who was a farmer and lumberman, died in his native place in June, 1880, in his sixty-ninth year; the mother is still living. The grandfather, Nathaniel Fuller, was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was killed while in the service. George L. Fuller is the fourth of a family of eleven children, and was reared on a farm; after leaving the common school he attended high school two terms, and taught one term a district school. On August 9, 1861, he enlisted in the army, in Company D, Thirty-ninth Ill.V.I., was wounded at the battle of Winchester, March 22, 1862, and was in the hospital seven weeks; when he returned to his command he participated in the following engagements: Siege of Morris Island, Sumter, Charleston, Drury’s Bluff, in Seven Days’ Fight, with McClellan on the Peninsular Campaign and the siege of Petersburg, where he was discharged, September 10, 1864. Returning to Sheshequin he engaged in farming until 1880, when he removed to Athens and engaged in the confectionery business. This he sold at the expiration of nine years, and since then he has been salesman in J.W. Carroll’s clothing house. Mr. Fuller was married in Sheshequin January 5, 1865, to Miss Rachel, daughter of John B. and Lucinda (Horton) Smith (her father, who was a farmer, died in September, 1881; Mrs. Lucinda Smith died in 1875). Mrs. Fuller is the second in a family of eight children, and was born in Sheshequin township October 5, 1843. Mr. and Mrs. Fuller are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; he is a member of the I.O.O.F., Valley Lodge, No 446, and has passed the chairs in the subordinate and in the Rebekah Lodges; is also a member of the Union Veteran Legion, No. 28, and the G.A.R., Perkins Post, No. 202. He is a Republican, and was census enumerator in 1880; also served as auditor in Sheshequin, nine years in succession, and several years as inspector and judge of elections.
I.C. FULLER, manufacturer, was born in Herrick township, July 27, 1850, and is a son of Almond and Adelia (Camp) Fuller. His father was a natural mechanic and was a farmer, millwright, shoemaker, blacksmith and carpenter; he had a family of ten children (of whom seven are living), viz: N.A. (died June 29, 1891), late of Wyalusing, carpenter and joiner; Mary C., married Lewis Wells, and after his death, Franklin Jones, and now resides on the old homestead at Camptown; Edgar S., harness-maker at Camptown; Emeline J., married to G.L. Lewis, farmer and mechanic of Camptown; Lois L., married to Elwood Vaughn and after his death to Rev. Newton J. Barnes, and died in 1890; I.C.; Guy H., editor and proprietor of the Jamestown Sun; Lettie J., married to P. Smith, merchant, Camptown; Lillian May, married to John Nesbitt, hardware merchant, Tekaman, Neb.; Judson died when a child. I.C. Fuller passed his early boyhood in Herrick; his parents removed to Camptown, where he remained until he started out for himself. He was educated in the common schools, and when seventeen, began teaching, continued during winters about six years, and worked at the carpenter’s trade and attended school during summers. March 16, 1874, he came to Wyalusing and entered the employ of the planing mills, which Mr. Fuller now owns; after working there about ten days, he was made foreman
of the mill, and filled that position until September 27, 1877. The mill was purchased by William T. Horton, and November 15, 1877, he was made superintendent of the same; January 6, 1882, he purchased one-half interest in the mill, and the entire business, January 6, 1887, since which time he has been sole proprietor; he has machinery for doing all kinds of scroll and finishing work, and supplies all kinds of building material; his sheds, buildings and yards cover about two acres of ground, and he has extensive outside interests and trade; he uses an H.B. Schenck planer, which is the best manufactured; he employs a force of six men constantly, and more when pressure of work demands. When he first came to Wyalusing, he lived in the Henry Gaylord house, but, in 1877, he built him a small house on the hill and removed to that, where he remained until the first day of 1889, when his present elegant residence being completed, he removed to his new home, which for style of architecture, beauty and elegance of finish and conveniences cannot be excelled in the county; it contains thirteen rooms, besides cellars, closets and halls. He owns several other valuable pieces of town property and large real estate interests in the coal regions, a small farm with good buildings in Merryall and various other interests. He was married, September 7, 1875, to Melissa Wells, a daughter of Abel and Margaret (Ney) Wells, of Monroe county, Pa., and they have two children; Florence, born April 13, 1881, and Ernistine, born May 16, 1884. He is a Democrat, but takes but slight interest in politics. Mr. Fuller is a brilliant example of one of Bradford’s self-made men; started in life with no capital but sound judgment, unflagging industry and determination to succeed, and by close attention to business and unflinching honesty, he has not only acquired a fortune in a very short time, but what is far better, has secured the respect, trust and esteem of all his customers and friendship of all.
N.A. FULLER (deceased), late of Wyalusing, was born June 18, 1840, at Camptown, and spent his boyhood at Camptown, working on a farm and in the shoe shop of his father. He was educated in the Camptown Academy, and when nineteen, began his apprenticeship to learn the carpenter’s and joiner’s trade, under L.W. Camp, and then D.D. Chaffee, working with them about three years. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Fifty-second P.V.I., having served three months prior, in the State Militia, and served until July, 1865, when he was discharged with his regiment; he was through the Peninsular campaign and then transferred to the South, where he lay before Charleston during all the weary months of the bombardment, and after the fall of Charleston joined Sherman’s Army, and was with it during the campaign through the Carolina’s, in pursuit of Johnston, he was sent to Salisbury where he was mustered out. He was in Hilton Head Hospital about two months, suffering from a low fever. He enlisted as corporal, and was promoted to second lieutenant. He returned home and resumed his occupation of carpenter, working in Wyalusing, Herrick, Pike, and Tuscarora townships and residing at Camptown until 1888, when removed to Wyalusing. He was united in wedlock, October, 1865, with Delia M., daughter of Charles Biles, of Homet’s Ferry,
and this union was blessed with four children, viz,: Jennie A. (deceased); Roy V. (deceased); Charles H. and Mary L. He died very suddenly of heart failure, June 22, 1891, aged fifty-one years. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, Camptown, and an elder of the same, a member of the I.O.O.F., Wyalusing Lodge, No. 503, Camptown and has passed all chairs, taken all degrees, and was a member of the State Encampment; also a member of Hurst Post, No. 74, G.A.R., Camptown, and was Post commander of the same in 1887. He was formerly a Republican, but later espoused the cause of the Prohibition party.
R.J. Fuller, merchant, Camptown, was born in Herrick, where his father now lives, August 15, 1849, a son of Cyrus and Mary Ann (Taylor) Fuller. His father has always been a farmer and drover; he had a family of nine children. R.J. Fuller passed his boyhood on the farm; at the age of twenty-two he began business, becoming a member of the firm of Fuller, Edwards, Lafferty & Co., grocers, where he remained two years; then was engaged as traveling salesman with James McBride & Co., tobacco cutters, of Monroe, Mich.; one and one-half years was with George Smith, a general merchant of Wysox. In 1877 he came to Camptown, built and stocked his present storeroom and has been engaged in general merchandise since. He carries a full stock of general goods; is senior member of the firm of Fuller & Blocher, owners of Camptown Creamery, built in the spring of 1890. He was married, October 19, 1875, to Annie A. Landon, daughter of Senator Landon, of Herrick, and has two daughters, Aline and Annie E. Mr. Fuller is a member of the Freemans.
FINLEY FURMAN, farmer, P.O. Sylvania, was born in Columbia township, this county, March 2, 1842, and is a son of John H. and Diana B. (Merritt) Furman. His paternal grandfather, Peter Furman, and maternal grandfather, Curtis Merritt, son of Calvin Merritt (the second latter being from Rutland, Vt.) were all pioneers of Columbia township. The father of our subject, who was a native of Columbia township, in early life taught school, but later engaged in the tannery business in Troy, and for several years was in the hotel business at Sylvania and Burlington. Prior to the Civil War he removed to Kansas, where he engaged in farming and died in 1883, aged seventy years. Finley Furman was reared in Bradford county, educated in the common schools, and at Mansfield Seminary. Since attaining his majority, with the exception of five years that he was in the mercantile business at Austinville, he has been engaged in farming. He was twice married, first time to Rachel A., daughter of Lorenzo N. and Jane (Scouten) Tinkham, of Columbia township, this county, and by her there is one child living, Edna M., who graduated in the Mansfield State Normal School in the class of 1886; Mr. Furman’s second wife was Carrie B. Buckbee, daughter of John and Hannah (Beers) Buckbee, of Lawrenceville, Tioga Co., Pa., and by her he has two children; Nora and Anna. Mr. Furman is a member of the Presbyterian Church and I.O.O.F.; politically he is a Republican.
HIRAM FURMAN, farmer, P.O. Snedekerville, was born in Columbia township, this county, May 28, 1821, and is a son of Peter