|
|
![]() |
| NAME OF CEMETERY: Wysox Cemetery
READ BY: "Wysox Church Cemetery", by Victor Charles Detty, Copyright 1939, DATE: 1939 TYPED BY: Susan Miller LOCATION: The cemetery is located on 187 North behind the Wysox Presbyterian Church and the Wysox Elementary School. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
2000 Partial List From Obits & Other Records |
The cemetery is located on 187 North behind the Wysox Presbyterian Church and the Wysox Elementary School. First burials in Wysox were made on the slope toward the river just beyond the Madill house, south of the national highway number six, and also south of the railroad. Here the first burial was that of Hermonos Van Vankenburg (probably prior to May 19, 1778, according to Craft, p. 63), who with the Stropes had settled on the river flat below, just west of the mouth of the Wysox Creek. Other burials followed, including probably Issac Van Valkenburg and his wife who are said to have died after 1785 (Craft, p. 455), Sebastian Strope (June 4, 1805) and his wife about 1814. According to the Memorial Paper written by Edward E. Hoagland for the Centennial of 1928, "When the railroad was put through this valley in 1869, it became necessary to remove the cemetery that was near Dr. Madill's, and many of the families who had ancestors buried there had them removed to the cemetery back of the church. There were few costly markers in those days, and most of the graves were marked by a stone of local origin that was not hard enough to long withstand the erosion of the elements. Hence, it is to be lamented there is a section of this cemetery where it cannot be determined who is buried there, for there are no inscriptions remaining on the markers. Mr. C. H. Heverly wrote (Bradford Star, Jan. 11, 1904). "When the railroad cut was put through, the remains, which were unearthed, were thrown promiscuously into a box, conveyed to the brick church cemetery, and re-interred." Believing that the bones of the Stropes' ancestors had been re-interred in the Wysox Cemetery.
This cemetery listing was typed and submitted September 1998 by Susan Miller who used the "Wysox Church Cemetery", by Victor Charles Detty, Copyright 1939, as her source.
| Conoran | Teresa | Oct 28 1921 | Oct 29 1921 | d/o of John J | |
| Conner | Francis PLATT | 1893 | 1923 | ||
| Conrad | Clara E | 1900 | 1923 | w/o Miles A | |
| Conrad | Donald R | Jul 09 1900 | Jul 18 1918 | s/o Orin K & Ida B, Pvt 76 F. A. Batt F. | |
| Cook | James H | Jul 27 1930 | 59y 7m 8d |
Published On Tri-Counties Site On 10/3/98