Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Orwell Churches History by V. C. Detty
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Orwell Township Page
Warning & Disclaimer
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to  Joyce
 Submited by Carol Jacobs
Photo by Joyce M. Tice - 8/31/99 - Rte. 187
Joyce's Search Tip - January 2008
Do You Know that you can search just the 250 pages of Church Records and Histories on the site by using the Churches button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page? .
(Congregational, Presbyterian, Methodist, Federated)


Victor Charles Detty, Pastor Federated Church

Copyright, 1955
Printed in the United States of America

Retyped & Submitted by Carol Jacobs 
Reprinted on this site 1999 with permission of Victor Charles Detty, Jr.


Chapter VI


1856 - 1897

Page 77

The first business of the church recorded in the second volume of session minutes was the granting of a letter of dismissal to Mrs. Emaline Easterbrooks, formerly Emaline Potter, to the Congregational Church at Potterville.

Elder Nathan Payson, on April 26, 1856 requested to be released from active service as an elder on account of infirmities of age. His request was granted and Zebulon Frisbie and Edward C. Bull were elected elders. They were ordained and installed on Sunday, July 12, by Rev. James McWilliam. Elder Bull was elected clerk of session July 4, 1857. At the same time Miss Susanna Matteson and Miss Eliza Champlin, (daughter of Jebez) were admitted as church members upon examination as to their faith. Miss Matteson died October 31, 1873. Eliza married Reed Barnes. She was dismissed to Rome in 1857, and returned to Orwell in 1865. Her daughter Mrs. Ruth B. Shays lived at Corland, N.Y. (Deceased 1942) Miss Lydia Ann Champlin joined the church July 4, 1857. Mrs. Sarah Champlin (wife of Jabez) and Mr. Miner Taylor was dismissed to Potterville August 3, 1857. Mrs. Louise Avery, sister of Hampton Champlin, Sr., also was dismissed to the Rome Presbyterian Church, and at her death bequeathed a sum of money to that church for a parsonage, and $100 for the care of her grave.

Miss Phebe Ann Sutliff, Miss Polly Ann Darling and her mother, Mrs. Sally darling (wife of Theron) were dismissed by letter, Miss Sutliff to the Methodist Episcopal Church of Orwell, and the others to Potterville September 27, 1857. Polly Ann died June 14, 1867, aged 57, and her mother (formerly Sarah Russell) died February 15, 1870 aged 87 years.

Mrs. Emily Knapp Frisbie (wife of Chauncey M.) brought a church letter from Wyalusing April 10, 1858. Mrs. Josephine Howard, and Miss Blanche Frisbie of Waverly, N.Y. are daughter of Chauncey M. and Emily Knapp Frisbie. Mrs. Laura Frisbie Bronson was dismissed to Towanda July 25th. Mrs. Frisbie was dismissed three years later to Mauch Chunk, Pa. Miss Eliza Farrar Joined by profession July 3rd.

The Church's session minutes were approved at a meeting of Susquehanna Presbytery held September 1st at Meshoppen, Pa., Rev. Thomas S. Dewing, moderator. Elder Zebulon Frisbie was the Orwell delegate.

In 1859 a committee on repairs to the church consisting of T. Humphrey, H. Knapp, S.N. Bronson, J.J. Newell and H. Champlin obtained subscriptions totaling $132.50. The trustees "voted to accept the proposals of T. Humphrey: to paint the church inside and outside with two coats of white paint, to varnish the rails; to put two coats of whitewash on the walls of the church; and furnish and put up good double blinds, well painted with green, at each window, for the sum of $150." The work was finished by the time of a meeting held September 26.

Page 78

Subscribers to the Church Repair Fund, 1859:

T. Humphrey
E. M. Farrar
S. N. Bronson
G. C. Frisbie
C. Frisbie
E. C. Bull
Hiram Knapp
Z. Frisbie
J. D. Newell 
H. Champlin
W. P. Payson
J. J. Newell
Ed McAllister
H. Champlin, Jun.
W. L. Frisbie
T. Matteson
Nathan Payson
Samuel Lyon
E. R. Brown
Morgan Lewis
J. W. Doolittle
N. B. Chaffee
Daniel Dimmick
A. G. Frisbie
J. W. Payson
J. P. Cowles
A. C. Frisbie
H. Doolittle
Rev'd. T. Thomas
J. H. Cowles
H. N. Barnes

Mr. Z. Frisbie was "appointed a committee to ascertain whether the house and lot owned by Mrs. L. Bronson is for sale or not, " and report October 4th to the meeting of the society. Then Mr. Frisbie reported that Mrs. Bronson had resolved to deed the said house and lot to the trustees free of cost. Wherefore it was resolved unanimously to accept the house and lot and C. Frisbie was appointed to present the thanks of the society. The order was made for the cost of recording the deed, April 22, 1860.

The chairman, Mr. Z. Frisbie, appointed T. Humphrey, J. W. Payson, and E. C. Bull a committee to raise the balance needed on the church repairs contract, and a fund for the repair of the parsonage. A festival was held November 15, at the house of G. C. Frisbie, and $20. Was raised. Later a carpet was purchased for $20. A singing school committee having made application for the use of the church one half of the school term, it was resolved that the trustees hire the Methodist Chapel for their accommondation.

The parsonage was repaired in the summer of 1860 by mechanic H. S. Wilson for the contract price of $130. It was located on the lot east of the residence of the late John Major Cowles on the highway leading from Orwell Hill easterly. It was part of land patented to Henry Gibbs June 10, 1840, conveyed to Ira Bronson by deed June 1, 1846, devised to Laura, wife of J. D. Humphrey,who deeded it to Laura Bronson November 2, 1852. Laura Bronson assigned the deed October 14, 1859 to Zebulon Frisbie and others, trustees of the First Presbyterian Church and congregation of Orwell township, a copy of the deed being found on Pages 83 to 85 in the Trustees Minute Book.

The property was sold February 25, 1886 to John H. Hamill for $288 to be paid in installments of $3 per month without interest. Various assignments of the contract were made from time to time: Hamill to Mariah Chaffee October 30, 1886; to Walter V. Rowe, March 28, 1891; to S. N. Bronson April 24, 1892; to Ira L. Bronson April 24, 1893; when the payments were completed.

Page 79

A deed was made May 25, 1894, signed by trustees: C. J. Eastman, Henry Howe, Ira W. Ford, S. G. Case, J. P. Coburn and W. Eaton Frisbie.

On February 1, 1861 the first contract for all the work of a sexton was let to James Davis for cleaning stove pipe, lighting lamps, being responsible for all breakages of the same, sweeping, dusting and building fires in the church to the first Monday morning in January, 1862, for five dollars.

During this year the sale of slips of pews to the highest bidders brought $18.05 to be used for incidental expenses, including hard maple fire wood at $1 per cord. Usually about five cords were used.

James Davis agreed to a second contract for the next year for janitor service for $7. But he, having volunteered for Civil War service before the expiration of the contract, accepted six dollars.

The officers appointed or elected at the annual corporation meetings from 1861 to 1869 were as follows:

Year Moderator Secretary Inspectors Trustees Treasurer
1861 E.M. Farrar L.H. Bronson S.N. Bronson

H. Champlin, Jr.

T. Humphrey

J.J. Newell

Geo. C. Frisbie
1862 Z. Frisbie S.N. Bronson Morgan Lewis

J.H. Cowles

W.R. Frisbie

W.P. Payson

G.C. Frisbie

W.R. Frisbie
1863 Z. Frisbie J.J. Newell E.M. Farrar

H. Champlin, Jr.

J.H. Cowles

J.D. Humphrey

J.H. Cowles

E.M. Farrar

W.R. Frisbie
1864 J.D. Humphrey E.M. Farrar Edw. C. Bull

C.G. Cowles

A.G. Frisbie

George Eastman

E.M. Farrar

W.R. Frisbie
1865 E.C. Bull S.N. Bronson J.J. Newell

G.C. Frisbie

W.R. Frisbie

W.P. Payson

H. Champlin, Jr.

W.R. Frisbie

J.J. Newell
1866 Z. Frisbie E.C. Bull

E.M. Farrar

J.J. Newell

L.H. Bronson

H. Champlin, Sr.

J.H. Cowles

J.J. Newell
1867 Rev. Clark Salmon E.M. Farrar H. Champlin

L.H. Bronson

J.H. Cowles

E.M. Farrar

Henry Howe

J.J. Newell
1868 Rev. C. Salmon E.M. Farrar A.G. Frisbie

C.N. Beers

A.C. Frisbie

J.J. Newell
1869 H. Champlin, Sr. A.C. Frisbie J.H. Cowles

A.C. Frisbie

J.J. Newell


In 1869 forty yards of Venetian carpet @ 90 cents each was purchased by A. C. Frisbie of Powell & Co. for $36. An additional three yards of stairs carpet @ 40 cents was also bought, making a total of $37.20 for new church carpet.

A book case for the church was bought by Hampton Champlin, Sr. for $3.45.

On January 12, 1865, George Farrar took contract for cleaning stove pipe, lighting lamps, sweeping the church and building fires for $6.

Page 80

On April 30, 1862, the treasurer showed receipt for $10 from William Black for rent of parsonage.

On January 11, 1864 the contract for wood was taken by John Alderson at nine shillings per cord ($1.121/2). James Davis took contract for care of church for $9.75.

Under date of January 9, 1865, contract for wood was made by G.C. Frisbie for $2 per cord, and for building fires, etc., for $14.50.

On January 8, 1866, William Howe took the contract for janitor work for $15. T. Lewis took the contract for furnishing wood at $2 per cord.

A fund of $108 for insurance ($31.50) and repairs was raised during 1867.

In 1869 the following subscribed for a church bell:

H. Champlin $20. J. J. Newell $10.
J. S. Chaffee 2. A. G. Frisbie 10.
J. H. Cowles 10. Levi Frisbie 5.
C. J. Eastman 3. Jas. D. Newell 10.
Arad Platt 5. G. G. Corbin 5.
Elias Dimmick 5. Z. Frisbie 10.
Joel Johnson 5. G. W. Eastman 5.
Chas. Ellsworth 5. S. N. Bronson 25.
H. Gibbs 3. E. C. Bull 15.
Isaac Mark 2. A. C. Frisbie 10.
Mrs. C. M. Chubbuck 5. G. C. Frisbie 5.
C. G. Gridley 5. H. Champlin, Sen. 15.
Jacob Chubbuck 5. Henry Howe 10.
A. Bosworth 2. C. N. Beers 7.
G. L. Pendleton 5. J. P. Coburn 5.
Reuben Atwood 10. E. J. Backus 2.
Festival Fund 66.50

The total amount subscribed was $314.50

The bell was purchased August 23, 1869 of Jones & Co., Troy, N.Y., Railroad freight $8.12 and Cartage $2.29 $10.41 622 pounds at 42 cents per pound 261.24 Rope, bolts, burrs, hook, lumber, etc. 3.57 Mountings complete with bell 32.00 $307.22
Mrs. Lucetta (Matthews) Haight was voted a letter of dismissal to the Baptist Church at Newark Valley, N. Y., January 15, 1859. H. Z.. Frisbie, having moved to Battle Creek, Mich., was dismissed at his request to the Presbyterian Church there April 3rd. He died at Topeka, Kansas. Mrs. Candace Holmes, (wife of Asher) formerly Alger, was dismissed to Rome, Pa. They had a son, Richard A., baptized at Rome, March 27, 1858.


Mr. Warren R. Frisbie, (son of Zebulon and Polly Goodwin Frisbie) joined the church on examination, July 2, 1859 and his wife Caroline H. Frisbie, who was Caroline H. Coburn, aunt of Mrs. Carrie Eastman (Mrs. James E. ) brought a certificate of membership from the Baptist Church at Warren , Pa. Mrs. Caroline H. Frisbie changed the spelling of her name to "Carolyn". She was born October 6, 1833, daughter of Algernon Sidney and Lois (Merrill) Coburn, died March 2, 1905. They had two daughters Ella Frisbie, born June 20, 1860, married Martin Bosworth, had son Harold J. of St. Petersburg, Flal, and Lula Frisbie, born January 11, 1863, married Willard Dunham, died in 1944. Mr. Warren R. Frisbie died September 6, 1865. His widow was dismissed to another church June 3, 1894.

On January 7, 1860 Lyman H. Bronson (brother of S.N. Bronson) and his wife Mary A.; and Frances M. Tuttle presented certificates from the First Presbyterian Church of Ithaca, N.Y. They were given letters the next year to the Congregational Church at LeRaysville. Samuel Lyon brought a lette from Owego, George C. Frisbie and his wife Huldah J. became members by profession of faith; Huldah being baptized January 8th.

George Chauncey Frisbie, born at Orwell March 1, 1831, was the son of Chauncy (born 1787, died 1867) and his second wife Elizabeth Humphrey Frisbie who was the widow of Dr. Dudley Humphrey. George Chauncey Frisbie married October 17, 1855 Miss Huldah Jane, born April 23, 1833, daughter of Peter and Deborah Kuykendall, of Windham Township. To them were born eight children: Frederick Van Duzer, Hector Humphreys, George McClellan, Frank Coleman, Virginia Sarah, Hanson Chauncey, William Kuykendall and Benjamin Llewlyn Frisbie. George Chauncey Frisbie died July 2, 1908, aged 77. His wife died February 6, 1912, aged 78 years.

Frederick V. Frisbie, born July 13, 1856, became a Presbyterian Minister in 1885, married first, Josephine, daughter of Daniel Dimmick, had three children: Frances Virginia, Katherine Alderson, and Marion Alderson: second in 1900, married Jane Landon Monsell of Bellport, Long Island, had five children and after serving 4 pastorates, died February 7, 1926 at Groveland, N. Y. with burial at Orwell, Pa. Mrs. Jane Frisbie died June 30, 1945. (A sketch of his family is given in History of Rome PresbyterianChurch, opposite page 150: and in the History of the Presbyterian Church of Wysox, opposite page 152.)

Hector Humphreys, died September 25, 1925, aged 67 years, and George McClellan Frisbie Died May 5, 1925, aged 65 years. (A sketch of his family is given elsewhere in this book.)

Frank Coleman Frisbie, born March 17, 1863, has two daughters living: Eleanor married to William Peters, Roscoe, N.Y., and Virginia, married to Maynard Linthicum, Manor Circle, Takoma Park, Md.

Virginia Sarah Frisbie, died December 31, 1905, at the age of 40. Her name was Sarah Jane, but she changed it to Virginia after leaving Orwell.

Page 82

Hanson Chauncey Frisbie died January 25, 1870 one year and ? months old.

William Kuykendall Frisbie, born November 23, 1871, has lived most of his life in Orwell Township, married May 4, 1892, Clara Arnold of Orwell. He engaged in farming for 13 years, afterward in the mercantile business in Orwell, being postmaster ten years. He was elected to several township offices: road supervisor, assessor, auditor and school director. He also served the county as viewer for damage claims on roads and other property, and has been appointed by the county judge to continue in that work. He was elected cashier of the Farmers National Bank of Rome, Pa. In the spring of 1927 and served in that capacity for nearly 20 years, until he resigned. He is a Methodist steward, and was one of the promoters of the P. P. Bliss Centennial in 1938.

A golden wedding anniversary party was given Mr. and Mrs. W. K. Frisbie on May 4, 1942 at Orwell Grange Hall. Mrs. Frisbie died October 12, 1944. He married Mrs. Madeline Dent of Silver Springs, Maryland in 1951.

Benjamin L. Frisbie, born in Orwell July 20, 1874, lived in Orwell and worked as a carpenter, builder and lumber mill operator until 1906. He married Margaret Ballard of Washington, D. C. He went to the Bloomsburg State Normal School in 1907 and served there as teacher of Manual Training for four years, taking the normal course there at the same time. He spent one summer at Cornell University and in 1910-1911 was supervisor of Manual Training in the schools of Bradford, Pa. Resigning there on account of ill health he moved to Maryland where he spent two years on a farm, and then moved to Washington, D. C. He was employed in the Naval Gun Factory as a joiner and pattern maker until 1920, when he became blind as the result of an accident which occurred while he was at work in that shop. After about two years of hospitals and treatment and learning Braille and other embossed types for touch reading and typewriting, he started proof reading for the American Red Cross and proof read a great many of the hand copied Braille books produced by the Volunteer Transcribing Section of that organization. Afterwards he was employed by the Red Cross in the blind department of the Library of Congress and had charge of the Braille manuscripts and of training blind proof readers. Later he had charge of the distribution of talking book machines for the District of Columbia Association of workers for the Blind. This was a volunteer work and was carried on after office hours from 1939 to 1945, when he retired from library service. In this capacity he placed and supervised the upkeep of nearly 400 of these reading machines, some of them being purchased by money raised by different organizations interested in work for the blind and by the United States Government, which had many thousands manufactured under a W. P. A. project which was supervised by the American Foundation for the Blind. The records for these machines were made by the foundation and the American Printing House for the Blind and were loaned to the blind users throughout the United States and its territories as well as in Canada and England by special exchange arrangements.

He was a member of the district of Columbia Association of Workers for the Blind since 1922 and served as its president 8 years, as treasurer 11 years, and as delegate to the convention in Toronto, Canada in 1937 and

Page 83

At Los Angeles, California in 1939, as a member of the American Association for the Blind.

Since retireing he has taken up woodworking as a hobby, having a shop in his basement with power toos, bench saw, jointer, drill press, grinder, and many cabinet makers hand tools which he uses without any sighted help a great deal of the time. His address is 2910 First Avenue, North; St. Petersburg, Florida.

In the same year (1860), Mrs. Fanny Payson was given a letter to the Congregational Church at Pike (LeRaysville), Pa. And Mrs. Achsah (Webster) Payson Joined the Orwell Church on examination of her faith. She was baptized October 7th. (She died December 17, 1888). Alonzo Potter and Anna E., his wife, were dismissed to Hamilton, N. Y.

While her husband (Rev. Thomas Thomas) was serving as minister, Mrs. Mary Evans Thomas brought a letter from the Welsh Congregational Church of Pike, Pa., January 4, 1861. Mrs. Caroline (Lyon) Ellsbree joined by profession of faith. Her infant son, Nelson Newell Ellsbree, had been baptized July 31, 1857. She was a widow and married Samuel N. Bronson. Rev. and Mrs. T. Thomas had baptized their infant daughter, Anna Frances, born June 12, 1862, by the Rev. Joseph A. Roseel. Mrs. Thomas took a church letter of dismission October 7, 1865. Anna Frances, born at Neath, Pa., married Frank Welles of Towanda in Antwerp, Belgium. They lived in Paris, France. Anna attended Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, Towanda, Pa., and gave $5000 as a scholarship to Wilson College, Chambersburg, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Welles provided funds for the erection of the Towanda Public Library and aided the Wyalusing Library. Their children are, Paul Welles, at Verginia Military Institute, Lexington, Va.; Mrs. J. Wylie Brown, 182 Mendocine St., Altadena, Cal.; Mrs. J. E. Briggs (Carlotta), Wilson Point, Conn.; and Robert Welles, 182 Mendocine St., Altadena, Cal.

Mrs. Frank Welles gave one thousand dollars each to the Presbyterian Churches of Stevensville and Rushville, her father being the organizer of the Rushville church, and the family burial plot is located on the church lot there.


The Reverend Thomas Thomas was born in South Wales, June 14, 1812, and came with his family when twelve years old, to settle in the wilderness at Neath, Pa. Six weeks after arrival, his father died of sunstroke, and he was bound out to his brother David on the farm. He wrote of his life in the following recollections.

"After some years of halting I finally decided that I could not have the testimony of a good conscience in any other calling that the ministry, and determined by the grace of God to prepare for it. I was now twenty years of age and had only a common English education and only $100 in hand to help me secure the education needful for the ministry. I was called a good hand at hewing timber and was much in demand over the country to do that kind of work, at a dollar a day, when a common laborer got but $.62. So when 21 years of age I had $300 in hand to begin my education. Mr. Leonard Woodruff, a graduate of Hamilton, had an academic school at

Page 84

LeRaysville. I studied with Mr. Woodruff six months and taught school in the Welsh settlement for three months. I had heard of Lafayette College at Easton, Pa., as a manual labor institution, and my friend, Darwin Cook, went with my brother David as he took a wagon load of clover seed to Philadelphia for sale, in which I invested considerable, and was the gainer by it, as clover seed was scarce and dear that season in some parts of the country. There was a preparatory department connected with the college in those days in which young men were fitted for college in two years. I entered it and took my exercise in working in the garden or farm connected with the college, improving the ground, quarrying stone, etc. at so much an hour. Dr. Junkin and I quarried most of the stones for what is now West College, but was then the Normal School House. I spent most of my vacations at home except once. From my home in Neath to Easton was 120 miles, which I used to walk in three days - forty miles a day. My friend Darwin Cook from Potterville, generally joined me. While on the level and while going down hill we often went our way singing. He had a better ear for music than I, but I had a better voice.

I secceeded in getting through seminary and college and in irendering to every man his due' better than I had expected. I was several years older than anyone else in my class at college. But now at this year's writing, September 19, 1896, I am the oldest man living among the graduates of Lafayette and have out lived all my class for more than a year."

The Rev. Mr. Thomas graduated from Princeton Seminary in 1845, married Mary Evans in January, 1846. He was pastor successively at Neath, Orwell, Rushville, and Stevensville. He died at Wyalusing June 16, 1904, having served over 50 years in the ministry. His wife, born in South Wales April 15, 1822, died January 10, 1896.

The Reverend Mr. Thomas was out spoken against liquor. One time the hotel man in Wyalusing, where Mr. Thomas lived after retirement, borrowed his wagon, and when it was returned, it was all painted like new. At another time Mr. Thomas stopped to talk with the hotel man, and when he reached home found a ten dollar bill in his glove. A man who had bought whiskey in Wyalusing had just been killed when his horses ran away because he was drunk. Mr. Thomas took the bill back to the hotel man, and said that he had no use for blood money.

The Thomas Family was as follows:

Harriet A. Thomas, born August 10, 1847 at Neath, died March 17, 1938.

Sarah Catherine Thomas, born at Neath August 14, 1849, married August 13, 1874 the Rev. Dr. Arthur Adams, went with him as a missionary to Japan, to which they were returning from furlough, when he died in 1879, with burial at sea; she returned to her parents with two children, on of whom, Sarah, died when five years old. Her son, Arthur, became a distinguished engineer. She died in Wyalusing, March 27, 1925.

Welling Evan Thomas, born January 25, 1852, at Orwell, graduated

Page 85

from Lafayette College in 1875, from Princeton Seminary in 1879, married December 20, 1881, Emma Mattoon, died at Lewisburg, Pa., November 16, 1915. They had seven children: Mary (1882-1885), Norman Mattoon, Ralph Llewellyn, Evan Welling, Arthur Raymond, Agnes Evelyn, Emma Elizabeth, the most famous of whom is Norman M. Thomas, five times Socialist candidate for president. He was born at Marion, Ohio, November 20, 1884; graduated, Union Theological Seminary in 1911; received degree of Litt. D. Princeton, 1932. He married Francis Violet Stewart, September 1, 1910, who died in 1947. They have five children. He demitted the Presbyterian ministry in 1931. He became a candidate for the presidency in 1928, 1932, 1936, 1940, 1944, and 1948. Author of : The Conscientious Objector in America; America's Way out, 1930; What is our Destiny, 1944, and other works. Address: 20 Gramercy Park, New York (3), N.Y.

Mary Delphine Thomas, born May 11, 1854 at Neath, married Rev. Milton Lewis Cook in September, 1878, went as a home missionary to Montana, returned three years later to Pennsylvania, her husband being pastor at Wysox for two years beginning in October, 1882. She died at Merryall, Pa. October 22, 1906. They had eight children, including one minister, two physicians, one engineer. One son, Rev. Welling T. Cook, missionary to Manchukuo, was in the Phillipines with his wife when the Japanese over ran the islands in December 1941, has since returned to the United States, and become pastor of the Rome Presbyterian Church. He died January 27, 1952>

Anna Frances, born in 1862, was baptized in the Orwell Church, andan account of her life and family was recorded above.

In 1884, among other items shown to have been collected during the year, was $2.00 on subscription for Rev. Thomas Thomas of 1858. On motion the treasurer was instructed to forward the same to the Reverend Mr. Thomas.

On July 6, 1861 (after the out break of the Civil War) William P. Payson and Almon E. Doolittle presented themselvles before the session for admission to church membership and were received. Almon Doolittle was baptized.

Rev. E. D. Kennedy was moderator of the Presbytery when the minutes were approved August 28th.

In March 1862 the following were given a letter of dismission to the church at Potterville: Samuel Lyon, Hannah Lyon, Samuel Lyon, Jr., Lydia A. Lyon, Hampton Champlin, Lucretia Champlin, F. Louisa Champlin, Ellen Taylor. Samuel and Hannah were received back in 1864, and the Champlins in 1865, Samuel and Hannah lyon then took their letter to LeRaysville in 1866.

In 1863 Mrs. Mary Ann Davis (baptized April 8) and Miss Caroline Farrar joined by profession of faith; also Mr. George Willys Eastman and his wife Lydia T., by letter from Rome, where they had been charter members.

Miss Mary Jane Lewis became a member by confession of faith and was baptized April 8, 1865 by Rev. Darwin Cook. A.E. Doolittle and his wife Adaline were dismissed to Susquehanna, Pa., and Eliza Matthews to Hammonton, N. J. Mrs. Eliza Matthews married February 15, 1897, Henry Howe.

Page 86

Thirty persons joined the church April 7, 1866, being received at a meeting of the session with Rev. Clark Salmon moderator, and elders Levi Frisbie, Zebulon Frisbie and E. C. Bull present. The names of the thirty new members follow:

Josiah J. Newell, married Amanda Cowles, had 4 children, died January 19, 1892, father of Henry and James Newell.

Amanda Newell ( daughter of Wm. Cowles, wife of Josiah Newell), died July 20, 1905.

John H. Cowles, born in Orwell 1836, son of Wm. And Mry (Woodruff) Cowles, married Harriet Dunham, led Orwell brass band for many years, moved in 1872 to Marseilles, Ill., with brother Chester operated a store there, had two children: William Northrup Cowles, (died April 17, 1911) and Mary A. (Cowles) Clark, (died July 16, 1899). Mary A. Clark's son, Stanley Northrup Clark died while in high school, February 1, 1911. John H. Cowles died July 12, 1905.

Harriet Acenath Cowles, baptized April 7, 1866, dismissed in 1873 and died April 27, 1890. She was the wife of John H. Cowles.

Chester G. Cowles, dismissed in 1872 to Marseilles, Ill., where his daughter, Miss Ida L. Cowles, lives at 387 Clark Street. Chester married in Potterville November 4, 1868, Parthena E. Barnes, who died August 11, 1937. She was the daughter of Cyprian and Susan Amanda (Beckwith) Barnes. John and Chester Cowles used to own the farm now in possession of Dan Cron.

Charles Nash Beers (baptized April 7, 1866).

Mrs. Elizabeth (Cowles) Beers (wife of Charles), born in 1840, daughter of William Cowles, sister of John and Chester Cowles.

Emma Beers (baptized April 7, 1866) sister of Charles, Lyman, and Aurelia ("Aunt Rilla"), the last named of whom married G. W. Brown and lived to 100 years of age. Another sister, Mary Beers Woodruff became the second wife of Calvin J. Eastan.

Calvin J. Eastman, father of the late Mrs. Frank H. Brown, had a blacksmith shop, led the church choir, was always on time for 50 years. He could take any part, being a very accurate singer. He also taught the young men's class in Sunday School, and played in the band.

Mary Eastman, wife of Calvin, died March 11, 1893, mother of Mrs. Kate Brown. (Mary was daughter of C. S. Smith, New Berlin, N.Y.)

Sarah Eastman dismissed 1868 (Mrs. Theodore Lewis).

Emogene Knapp (baptized April 7, 1866) married Chauncey M. Frisbie.

Mary Agnes Ryan (baptized April 7, 1866) married LaFayette Giggins Dimock.

Page 87

Licena Pitcher (baptized April 7, 1866). (C. H. Pitcher lived beyond Wells Hollow).

Cynthia A. Payson (baptized April 3, 1847)

Perintha Payson (baptized in 1852) daughter of J. W. and Elizabeth Payson, married March 29, 1888, William Upson.

William Lawson Frisbie, M. D., and his wife, Ellswitha (Knapp) Frisbie, baptized April 7, 1866, dismissed to Potterville, February 19, 1876, parents of Dr. Hiram Zebulon Frisbie, late of Elkland, Pa., and Paul, R.1, Rome, Pa. Dr. H. Z. Frisbie married Catherine Knapp, daughter of Hiram. Their daughter, Norma Armenia, married Roger Williams, a lawyer of Philadelphia, now deceased. Mrs. Norman Williams taught in Elkland High School, Elkland, Pa., died in 1948.

Chauncey M. Frisbie, (son of Zebulon and Polly Goodwin Frisbie) married Emogene Knapp,, had a daughter Josephine, wife of Frank Howard. This daughter, Mrs. Howard, was born in Orwell. She graduated from the Waverly, N.Y. schools, and taught for eight years at the Lincoln Street school, Waverly. She and Mr. Howard were married on June 28, 1898. Mr. Howard was an attorney, serving terms in the State Assembly and on the board of supervisors, and headed the Waverly bank for a number of years. He died December 12, 1933. Mrs. Howard was a member of the Waverly First Methodist Church, and was a charter member and second regent of Carantouan Chapter D. A. R. For about three years she was hostess at the Robert Packer hospital nurses home, Sayre, Pa. She died March 4, 1948. She was survived by two daughters, Mrs. H. Slade Palmer of Walker Hill, Waverly, N.Y., and Mrs. Charles F. Rand of North Tonawanda, N.Y., also two sons, C. Frisbie Howard of Waverly, N.Y. and Master Sgt. Frank L. Howard, Jr., U.S. Marine Corps, of Little Creek, Va., and ten grandchildren.

Mary Frisbie (daughter of Zebulon and Polly Goodwin Frisbie), a member 58 years, died March 7, 1924.

Olin Frisbie (baptized July 3, 1852) son of Zebulon and Polly Frisbie; father of Lewis W. Frisbie, until recently employed at Towanda Post Office, Towanda, Pa.

Mrs. Ruby Boardman, daughter of Zebulon and Polly G. Frisbie, married Edward Boardman, both dying in 1906.

Henry Howe (baptized April 7, 1866) son of Earl.

Jane Howe (baptized April 7, 1866) wife of Henry.

Theodore Lewis (baptized April 7, 1866) married Sarah Jane Eastman, daughter of George Willys and Lydia T. Eastman, moved to Scranton, Iowa, where their daughter Grace lives. Another daughter Clara married Irving Dreher, 8300 Wayne Ave., Kansas City, Mo. (See History of the Presbyterian Church, Rome, Pa.)

George C. Farrar (son of Eliab and Emily Humphrey Farrar).

Page 88

Houston L. Case (baptized April 7, 1866)

Electa Louisa Congdon (baptized April 7, 1866)

John Stevenson, Jr. (baptized April 7, 1866)

Clarence Hunt, baptized April 7, 1866, was born in 1851, married Mary Manchester of Potterville, sister of George of Orwell. Fred Hunt of Wells Hollow is a son, who married Grace Morris, daughter of Ira Morris Of Orwell. Mourice Hunt of Orwell is a son of Fred and Grace Hunt. Maurice married Gladys Kier of Ghent, has two children, Frederick and Janice. Maurice is treasurer of the Orwell Federated Church.

Henry Howe was born August 11, 1834 at Orwell on the farm occupied till 1947 by his son Irvin L. Howe. Henry was the third child of Earl and Julia Ann (Dennison) Howe. Earl was born in Rhode Island in 1808; Julia Dennison, 1812. He had nine children, three of whom died of scarlet fever and were buried in one grave, and about eight years later two others died of the same disease. The surviving four were Charlotte, who married Eliab M. Farrar; Henry, William, Helen Mary. Henry Howe married October 15, 1856, Jane Russell, daughter of Nathaniel, granddaughter of Dan Russell, first settler in Orwell. Four children are: (1) George H., born February 3, 1859, married Alida Champlin; (2) Eugene A., born August 23, 1860, married December 28, 1886 Adelia F. Atwood, and have a son, Myer Howe, of Herrickville, and another, Roland, at Green's Landing; (3) Lelia J., born November 5, 1870, married Rev. Ira L. Bronson, having three sons: (4) Irvin L., born July 6, 1872, died June 29, 1947, married Lois Dell Coburn and they had two children: Leland D. and Gerture E. Leland married May 24, 1919 Miss Maisie Manchester and had three children: Mayvis Edwina, born May 23, 1923, Ruth Marilyn, born July 23, 1926, and Leland Delmer, Jr., born April 10, 1936; Gertrude joined the Potterville Church and was married to John Fairlie May 31, 1935, by the Rev. D. Glyn Lewis of Newark Valley, N.Y. They have two children, John Leland Fairlie, born April 24, 1938, and Lois Jean Farilie, born July 21, 1942, both at Robert Packer Hospital, Sayre, Pa. They live at R.D.2, Athens, Pa.

Rachel Ann Van Marter (formerly Cowles) and Hiram E. Bull (July 31) became members July 31, 1866. The former was baptized July 1, 1866. On January 5, 1857, C. B. Chaffee and his wife Docia were received on certificate. Mr. L. H. Bronson, Mrs. Mary A. Bronson and Miss Agnes Ryan were given letters to Owego, N.Y. on December 22nd.

The ability of several men acquired as musicians in the Civil War led a group of them to form and maintain a brass band in the otherwise quiet village of Orwell. The picture herewith indicates those who made up this band: Carlos J. Chubbuck (brass drum and cymbals) chorister in this band: Carlos J. Chubbuck (bass drum and cymbals) chorister in Methodist Church; Calvin J. Eastman (Tuba), chorister in Presbyterian Church; B. D. Tyrrell, driver; George Farrar (cymbals or snare drum); Achilles J. Knapp (baritone); John I. Eastman (B flat cornet); Byron A. Pratt (tenor); Frank A. Darrow (E flat cornet); Edwin O. Pendleton (E falt cornet); Tracy J. Chubbuck (tenor); William H. Darling (B flat cornet); J. Perry Cowles (E flat alto); John H. Cowles (E flat cornet); Chauncey M. Frisbie (alto); J. Orestes (Ret) Alger (B flat cornet).

Page 89

The band was called to play at picnics, political rallies, parades, at school exhibitions and musical concerts. For some years their means of conveyance was a hay wagon, to which none of them probably was unaccustomed. Being in considerable demand in those days of stirring politics a fund was acquired which enabled the band to buy a beautiful band wagon for six hundred dollars, a prodigious sum. But this band wagon was the grandest thing the boys ever saw. How they admired its upholstery, its red and yellow paint with stripes and transfers.

When the band wagon was obtained Carlos Chubbuck, a well known horseman, gave up drum and cymbals for the driver's place. He had a large black team and John Cowles a beautiful pair of small blacks, and with these a great impression was made through Eastern Bradford. The band wagon came to a sad end about 1870 when John Cowles' barn burned. It was pushed out of the building before it was destroyed, and the wreck was later sold for a small sum. Mr. Frank I. Champlin was born a mile from the village of Orwell July 4, 1862, and remembers very well every member of this band. He attended a Sunday School picnic in Buttles' Grove when this band went there in their band wagon and he enjoyed their patriotic pieces.

On the night of the fire, Chester Cowles, John's brother, came home from courting on Sunday night, put his horse in the barn without a light, but before he had undressed in the house, he heard the horses thrashing in the stalls, and went to the barn, and found fire under the black team of horses. He got them out. Gaylord Frisbie lived eighty rods north. His sons, Eaton, Stuart and Levi, came in time to run the wagon out into the road. In the morning the fire was noticed by the Champlins, - the first one ever seen by Frank.

Houston L. Case, received April 7, 1866, was born in Wysox, Pa., April 24, 1845 the son of Lucius S. and Clarinda (Cannan) Case, Lucius being a native of Western New York, and the latter of Rome, Pa. Lucius was a farmer and also a contractor on the construction of the North Branch Canal and the Lehigh Valley Railroad. He died in Wilkes-Barre in 1886, 69 years of age. Houston attended Rome Schools, and Susquehanna Collegiate Institute. At sixteen he started working in the Rome store of George Nichols, but enlisted when almost eighteen in the Fifth New York Cavalry for the duration of the war. In 1866 he entered the employ of S.N. Bronson at Orwell and remained eleven years.

Houston L. Case was superintendent of the Orwell Sunday School for several years, and in December, 1856 sent a Scripture greeting card to members of the Sunday School. He was a partner with J. P. Cowles in the store business. He removed to LeRaysville, opened a store, then a creamery, first there, and afterward at Wyalusing. He married Lydia A. Matteson, December 31, 1866, daughter of Thomas. They had children: George, Howard, Thomas and Lydia, who died in infancy. He married second, a sister of his first wife. (Bradsby, P. 702, History of Bradford County).

On January 4, 1868, Mr. Addison C. Frisbie and his wife Ann, were received by letter from the LeRaysville Church. His family is as follows:

Addison Cowles Frisbie, son of Zebulon and Polly (Goodwin) Frisbie, was born in Orwell, Pa., October 20, 1829 and died Fevruary 24, 1910. On

Page 90

October 17, 1855, he married Ann Matilda Newell, daughter of James D. and Lysena A. (Grant) Newell, born March 31, 1833 Died July 31, 1914. Children as follows:

  1. Cora St. Leon, born October 31, 1856, died December 3, 1939, married November 21, 1878 to Joseph A. Pendleton.
  2. Kate LeNoir, born July 11, 1858, died February 20, 1920, married Nelson N. Elsbree.
  3. George Clayton, born December 24, 1861, died May 27, 1926, married Helen Mac Queen.
  4. Mary Ellen, born April 29, 1864, died at Wilkes-Barre August 31, 1947, married December 11, 1889, Welton Bostwick Payson (born May 9, 1852; died 1904), son of Asa and Fanney A. (Beardsley) Payson.
  5. Edwin Newell, born September 29, 1870, died March, 1928, married April 12, 1909, Barbara Schwab.
Children of Mary Ellen (Frisbie) and Welton Bostwick Payson:
  1. Marguerite Bostwick, born December 23, 1891, married July 6, 1915 Austin Lathrop Patrick. Their children: Austin Lathrop, Jr., born April 1, 1918; George Guthrie, born September 29, 1923; and Mary Virginia, born August 30, 1927. All three were born in State College, Pa.
  2. Welton Bostwick, Jr., born September 1895, died June 1896.
  3. George Gaylord, born December 17, 1899, married June 22, 1921, Dorothy Ross. They have one son, George Ross, born March 12, 1922 in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
  4. Virginia Jordan, born August 13, 1901, married November 14, 1927, James Donald MacWilliam (born August 14, 1901) son of William Walker and Floy (Hull) MacWilliam. Two children, Ann Newell, born November 30, 1928 and James Donald, Jr., born December 8, 1932. Both were born in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
The children of Mary Ellen (Frisbie) and Welton Bostwick Payson were all born and married in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. They are all Episcopalians, but all other descendants of Addison Cowles Frisbie are Presbyterians.

In April, 1868, Mr. Theodore Lewis and his wife, Sarah (formerly Eastman) were dismissed to Towanda, Pa. Mary Lewis was dismissed October 2nd. Theodore and Sarah returned in 1876. On July 10, 1869, Roswell L. Case joined by profession of faith. He was dismissed to Smithfield, April 5, 1884. He was a brother of Katie Case, the mother of Willard H. and Rev. Fred Lott. Roswell C. Case, son of Eli and Rosanna Case and brother of Samuel of Orwell, had one daughter, Dora who married W. C. Morrison of Athens, Pa. The latter had two boys, Roswell and Samuel, who live at Athens.

Messrs. Hamton Champlin, Jr., and Samuel N. Bronson were elected

Page 91

elders January 29, 1870 and ordained February 6th. The session examined and received as members, first on April 10, Miss Abbie Rose Howe, and second on April 17th, her half-sister, Miss Helen M. Howe (daughter of Earl, sister of Henry). They were both baptized April 17th.

One member in a penitential letter to the church session expressed great sorrow for a recent fall into open sin. The letter was deemed as satisfactory and a member was sent to counsel the brother with sympathy, warning and encouragement. Three years later a committee was appointed to ascertain the cause of his absence from church.

A Waters Organ, made in New Haven, Connecticut, sold by M. R. Taylor, costing $255, having five octaves, three reeds, ten stops, with swell and sub-base, was purchased by subscription on the occasion of the consummation of the reunion in 1871 of the Old and New School Presbyterian bodies.

Subscribers were:

S. N. Bronson $20. C. W. Payson $1.
E. M. Farrar 7 H. E. Payson 1.
A. C. Frisbie 7.50 Geo. Howe  50
H. L. Case 5. Nelson N. Ellsbree .50
A. G. Frisbie 7.50 Stewart Frisbie .25
C. J. Eastman 10. Hector Frisbie .25
E. C. Bull 5. H. W. Champlin .75
Z. Frisbie 7.50 Chas. S. Farrar .75
Levi Frisbie 5.  Fred Frisbie .75
J. P. Coburn 8. Edith M. Bronson .50
G. W. Eastman 5. Cora Frisbie .25
H. Champlin, Sen. 15. Cynthia Bull .50
Elida Champlin .50 Frank Vought 1.
S. A. Chaffee 5. R. L. Case 1.
Mary I. Bull 5. Kent Bull 25
Henry Howe 10. Ida Andrews 15
J. D. Newell 5. C. N. Beers 5.
G. G. Corbin 5. C. M. Frisbie 4.
Samil Lyon, Jr. 5. Rosa Howe 1.
Theodore Lewis 5. Frank Hall .25
J. J. Newell 5. Dema Chamberlin 1.
H. Champlin, Jr.  10. C. M. Hunt 1.
Fred Farrar 1. Helen Howe 1.
J. B. Eddy 2. Perintha Payson .50
H. E. Bull 1. Mary Frisbie .50
Chas. Eddy 2 Josie Welch 50
Leonid Chamberlin 1. Ella C. Frisbie 1.
Libbie Eastman .15 Lula E. Frisbie 1.
Frank Champlin .25 Carrie Lyon .50
J. B. Lewis  1. Kate Frisbie .25
Mrs. H. J. Frisbie 5. C. A. Payson 1.
Leslie Bull 25
Total $198.80
Officers elected at the Annual Congregation meetings of the Society:

Page 92