Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Tioga County Newspaper Extracts
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
No Commercial Use
Clippings Front Page
Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts
Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts
Say Hello to Joyce
Postcard from the Joyce's Collection
Items extracted for Tri-Counties by Darla Hogaboom
Joyce's Search Tip - February 2010 
Do You Know that you can search just the 700 pages of Clippings and Scrapbooks on the site by using the Clippings button in the Partitioned search engine on the Current What's New Page?  
You'll also find obituary and other newspaper clippings using the three county-level Obits by Cemetery buttons. Additional clippings can be found in the Birth, Marriage, and some other partitions. 

Wellsboro Agitator

*all articles, unless the township is stated, are for Wellsboro.
(Some excerpts are extracted from the readable portions of the Wellsboro Gazette).

December 2, 1890
Local News
--Last Thursday Amasa Gordon, Charles Rightmire and the latter’s son went out hunting rabbits on the hills along Bear Creek near Tioga.  A Tioga correspondent says that Gordon was standing on a log with his gun cocked watching for game, when one of the others shot a rabbit a few rods away.  Gordon, holding his gun by the muzzle in his right hand, started to go to the others.  In getting down from the log the gun was discharged, the load tearing through the muscles of his left arm fracturing the bones and severing the arteries.  As soon as possible his comrades came to his assistance and endeavored to stop the flow of blood and get him to the house of Mr. Lawrence on the creek road.  They then waited for Stephen Andrus, half a mile away and the only neighbor having a horse, to take the wounded man home.  Gordon was taken directly to the office of Dr. J. P. Hakes, who stopped the hemorrhage, which had been profuse from the time of the injury. Mr. Andrus said he was afraid he would die before he could get him to a physician, the distance being about two miles.  Dr. Hakes feeling that it was a critical case summoned W. D. Vedder, M.D., from Mansfield for counsel.  After duly considering the extreme prostration from loss of blood and the terribly lacerated condition of the arm, it was decided that the best plan was to operate at once.  Dr. Newell, the well known dentist of Mansfield, administered the ether and the arm was taken off just above the elbow.  Gordon never rallied from the shock of the injury but died about 5 p.m., he leaves a young wife totally un-provided for.  He was to have commenced work in the currier shop yesterday morning.

--Mrs. W. Oscar Farr, and her youngest son, Marriott Farr, of Elmira, were visiting Wednesday at the lad’s cousin, Havens Putnam, of Tioga. Weston Putman was cleaning a gun preparatory to going out hunting.  Young Farr was standing near when the weapon was accidentally discharged and the bullet struck him in the breast.  Just missing the left lung, it lodged in the back.  Dr. C. B. Borden extracted the bullet from the lad’s back, and although his wound is a painful one, it is thought that young Farr will recover.  Mrs. Farr and her children had expected to join Mr. Farr, who is in Tacoma, Washington, this week.

--A terrible accident resulting in the death of Frank Hoffman occurred on the 22d instant in the woods about six miles west of Smethport, McKean County.  The Miner says that two brothers, Frank Hoffman and George Hoffman, were at work trailing logs that day.  Frank was driving the team, which was somewhat restive, when a chain broke, Frank, not thinking of the back end of his trail, stopped the horses and had just thrown the lines over their backs when the end of a 16 foot log struck him near the hips, jamming him against an ironwood tree with terrific force, and holding him as if in a vise.  The unfortunate man was soon released and medical aid was summoned, when it was found that the hip bones were all broken, in fact that the man’s hips had been literally crushed.  He lived in this condition for several hours retaining consciousness up to the time of his death.  The remains were taken to St. Mary’s, Elk County, where he formerly resided.

--Mr. George Blackman, of West Pike, Potter County, met with a very serious accident a few days ago, which resulted in the loss of his right hand.  For some time past he had been working in Boyd’s sawmill, and at the time of the accident he was standing near the circular saw talking with another man.  The mill had just been started up after dinner.  Mr. Blackman in making a gesture struck the saw and his hand was cut off about two inches above the wrist.

--DRAPER.—Mr. A. H. Torpy came near having a serious accident one day this week.  He was driving up the road from his house, when the wind blew a large gate from its fastenings.  One end of the gate caught the hind wheel of his buggy and upset it.  He had a little boy with him, and as the buggy tipped over he caught the lad by one arm and jumped.  Fortunately he struck on his feet and was able to hold the horses although they were considerably startled.

--DRAPER.—Mr. John Cristle was dangerously sick one day this week, but he is not getting better.

--DRAPER.—Mrs. Susan Lawton has been quite sick for two weeks, but is improving.

--DRAPER.—Messrs. Harry Palmer and N. H. Compton had some exciting times recently hunting rabbits.

--CHATHAM.—Last Tuesday evening about fifty neighbors and friends of Mr. and Mrs. Benona Short surprised them at their old home in Shortsville.  They came to bid farewell to Mr. and Mrs. Short, who were to leave home for the winter the next morning.  Mrs. Short goes to North East, in this State, where she is to stay until spring, and Mr. Short goes to Missouri to spend the winter.  After supper a few remarks were made by the pastor, and Mr. and Mrs. Short responded.  Then came the leave taking, and with many wishes for their pleasant journey, good health and safe return next spring the friends went home, feeling that it pays to make others happy.  Mr. Short’s brother at North East has offered to give him and his wife a home for life, and if they conclude to accept the offer they will not return to Shortsville to live.

--MARSHFIELD.—An oyster supper was held at Mr. H. H. Champney’s recently for the benefit of the Freewill Baptist parsonage fund.  Music was furnished by the Hanscome brothers.  The affair netted $9.

--County Commissioners Wheeler and Denison went to Arnot yesterday to investigate two cases of insanity upon which certificates had been issued by the physicians and orders of relief sworn out.  The persons named as being insane are Charles Larson and Axel Lindstrom, and it is probably that they will be taken to the State asylum.

--Last Wednesday evening the Eureka Hook and Ladder Company elected the following officers for the ensuing year:  Foreman, S. F. Channell; First Assistant, E. A. VanValkenburg; Second Assistant, Samuel H. Jacobson; Third Assistant, Joseph N. Smith; Secretary, A. B. Dunsmore; Treasurer, W. D. VanHorn.  The list of the active members of the Company is steadily increasing.

--Last Saturday Mr. A. Pollock received intelligence of the serious injury of his eldest son Alexander Pollock, superintendent of the coal mines near Trinidad, Colorado.  He was going into the draft to look after some matters, when he met the mining locomotive and was struck, as he crowded against the wall to allow the engine to pass.  Just how serious Mr. Pollock’s injury was has not been ascertained by his friends here.

--The young son of Mr. O. West, of Middlebury, was badly burned a few days ago by falling against a hot stove.

--Mr. J. Butler, of Farmington, is now in his ninety sixth year and he has not given a doctor a job in over sixty years.

--Archie Forrest, of Mainesburg, was kicked just above the right eye a few days ago by a colt.  He received an ugly gash.

--At a dinner party on Thanksgiving Day at Mr. Ferdinand R. Fields’ in Delmar, there were 42 guests and of that number 27 bore the name Fields and were descendants of Mr. Daniel Fields.

--Austin Retan, the four year old son of Mr. E. A. Retan, of Millerton, had his skull fractured last week Monday, by being kicked by a horse which was running loose in a lane where the child was playing.  At last accounts the little fellow was in a critical condition.  The Millerton Advocate says:  “He lay unconscious for a time, but after partially recovering cried loudly and was found lying helpless on the ground in a large pool of blood, with a bad wound on the scalp.  An examination developed the fact that the skull was badly broken, and a large piece of bone was removed, leaving the brain uncovered.”

--Last spring Mr. B. H. Parkhurst, of Elkland, loaned each member of his Sunday school a nickel to be invested by the holder, the increased amount to be returned to the missionary fund.  Last week Sunday afternoon the reports were handed in and were quite interesting.  The original amount loaned was $4.75, which has been increased to $60.  One little miss had increased her nickel to $7.05.

--Mrs. Emily Clauson, of Morris, captured the handsome $50 music box which was given away at the “Fair” store.

--While loading a car of lumber at Potter Brook last Thursday, Mr. John Brock has one of his feet badly injured by a heavy plank falling on it.

--The residence of Mr. Walter Burr, of Westfield, was destroyed by fire early Tuesday morning.  The household goods were nearly all removed.  The origin of the fire is unknown, as Mr. and Mrs. Burr were away from home.  The building belonged to the S. O. Murdock estate.

--A nine year old daughter of Mr. George Putnam, of Delmar, met with a peculiar accident last Saturday afternoon.  It appears that she had been amusing herself by riding on a cow, and when she went to get off she slid down the animal’s neck.  About this time the cow became annoyed and raising her head suddenly one of her sharp pointed horns caught the girl below the mouth and tore a frightful gash nearly to the eye.  Dr. H. L. Davis dressed the wound.

--As Conductor John Ward’s train was backing into a switch at Fall Brook last Monday afternoon it struck a cow which was crossing the track, throwing several coal dumps off the track and burying Simon Gavigan, a brakeman on the train, under the wreck.  When taken out he was found to be mangled in a terrible shape, his head and face being crushed and both legs were cut off. It is stated that the body was allowed to remain under the car for several hours because of a foolish notion that the bystander had no right to touch it until a Coroner’s jury had seen it.  Justice Woodhouse, of Morris Run, summoned a jury, and a verdict was found in accordance with the facts above stated.  The body was taken to Corning upon the same train which had met with the accident.  He was about 22 years of age and unmarried, and formerly lived in Blossburg.

--CROOKED CREEK.—Rufus West, the little son of A. D. West, is quite ill.  The little fellow never fully recovered from an attack of la grippe last winter.

--LITTLE MARSH.—Mr. S. W. Mosher is suffering with cancer.

--DRAPER.—Mr. and Mrs. F. B. Osborn, of Tiadaghton, is spending a few days here.

--ROUND TOP.—Mr. R. H. Dawson is on a pleasure trip to Oberlin, Ohio.

--ROUND TOP.—Messrs. Elmer Webb and Henry Neal, of Otsego, N.Y., are visiting relatives in this vicinity.

--MARSHFIELD.—Mr. Winfred Marsh, who has been attending school at Lima, N.Y., has returned home for the holidays.

--LAMB’S CREEK.—Mr. Fletcher Webster was over on Pine Creek a few days ago.

--LAMB’S CREEK.—Miss Eucie Lamb, of Corning, is visiting her parents in this place.

--Mrs. C. G. Osgood is visiting in Brooklyn, N.Y.

--Mr. Anton Hardt is in Rochester, N.Y. this week.

--Mr. F. K. Wright and his daughter, Mary Wright, are taking in New York City in its holiday attire.

--Messrs. William Bache and W. C. Kress started yesterday for a ten days visit to New York City.

--Misses Mary Simpson, Hattie Simpson and Marion Simpson are spending a few days in Philadelphia and New York City.

--Mrs. George W. Merrick and Mrs. F. E. Watrous started this morning to spend a few days in New York City.

--Mr. H. C. Young, superintendent of the Williamsport electric light station, was at home on Thanksgiving Day.

--Mrs. Harriet Truman, of Ithaca, N.Y., and Mrs. N. E. Wattles, of Slaterville, N.Y., are visiting Mrs. Charles G. VanValkenburg.  Mrs. Truman was a resident here some years ago.

--Mr. William H. Boatman, of Stony Fork, has received an increased pension allowance.

--Mrs. Will Taylor and daughter, Miss Flora Taylor, of Williamsport, are visiting at Mrs. L. D. Taylor’s.

--CROOKED CREEK.—Mrs. V. E. Keeney is spending a few days with her sister in Charleston.

--CROOKED CREEK.—Mrs. Aaron Hardenburg has returned from a four week’s visit at Greenwood, N.Y.

--CROOKED CREEK.—George Brown, of Chicago, has been visiting at the home of his uncle, W. J. Brown.

--CROOKED CREEK.—Dr. Beers was recently called to Danby, N.Y., by the illness of his father.

Land/Business/Farm Transactions
--DRAPER.—Mr. and Mrs. Amos Dibble have gone to Leetonia to work for the English boys, James English and Henry English.

--DRAPER.—Frank Ogden has gone to work for Ben Tomb at Leetonia.

--DRAPER.—Mr. V. G. Ives, of Wellsboro, is moving to Olmsville and is to live in the house with Mr. J. D. Willcox.  He recently purchased the stage route between this borough and Olmsville.

--DRAPER.—Mr. E. B. Carvey is doing the butchering through this part of the country.

--CHATHAM.—Mr. Frank Hanson, our enterprising cheese maker, is to move to New York state next week.

--MARSHFIELD.—Mr. Ezra Swope has moved with his family to Potter County.

--MARSHFIELD.—Mr. Luther Smith has just recently purchased the largest house in the county.

--LAMB’S CREEK.—Mr. Charles Ripley has moved his family to Corning.

--Dr. Robert B. Smith is building two tenement houses on Wellsboro Street in Tioga.

--Mr. Jerome Barnhart, of Jackson, has raised a Durham bull weighing 2,450 pounds.

--Mr. M. A. Skelton, of Charleston, is soon to move to Academy Corners to work upon Mr. J. M. Robinson’s farm.

--Dr. C. V. Elliott, of Mansfield, has expended $1,000 in drilling a deep well, building a reservoir, erecting a wind mill and laying pipe to supply his house with pure water.

--It is stated that Harry H. Blackburn, Esq., formerly of this borough and Mr. George D. Spurr, formerly of Mansfield, are now in the insurance and real estate business at Puyallup, Washington.

--Miss K. D. Koon, of Lawrenceville, who for two years has been assistant nurse in the Philadelphia Institution for the Deaf, has just been advanced to the position of head nurse in the same institution.

--The family of Mr. A. W. Welch has moved from Sullivan to Colton, Ohio where Mr. Welch is engaged in business.

--The store owned by Mr. John L. Inscho, at Tioga, has been converted into a dwelling.

--Mr. J. E. Ritter, of Gaines, has purchased the stage route between Gaines and Ansonia.

--At Addison, N.Y., November 8, 1890, Mr. Onan Trowbridge, of Clymer, and Mrs. Mary Little, of Hector, PA.

--At the residence of Mr. Sylvester Treat, in East Chatham, PA, November 26, 1890, by Rev. A. G. Cole, Mr. Albert R. Warren, of Delmar, and Miss N. Belle Miller, of Chatham.

--Mr. William Deegan, a former resident of Niles Valley, was recently killed by being crushed by the cars near Buffalo, N.Y.

--Mr. and Mrs. John Blanchard, of Cherry Flats, were sadly bereaved last week by the death of their two daughters with diphtheria.  They were 14 and 16 years of age.  Ida Blanchard died on Monday and Alice on Tuesday morning.  A young son of the family is recovering from the disease.

--Early yesterday morning Camilla Jones, wife of D. J. Jones, of East Charleston, died after a protracted sickness.  Mrs. Jones had been steadily failing since the death of her daughter [Amy Jones] several months ago.  She was 46 years of age. The funeral is to be held at the family residence in Charleston tomorrow morning at 10 o’clock, and the remains will be interred in this borough.

--Last Wednesday the remains of the late Rev. E. D. Harned were brought to Osceola for interment from Rochester, N.Y., where he died of heart failure last week Sunday.  Rev. Mr. Harned went to Africa as a missionary several years ago but his health broke down and he was compelled to return to this country.  His health continued to decline, however, until death came.

--Last Sunday Alvira Butler, wife of Almon Butler, of Delmar, died very suddenly.  She was as well as usual up to two hours before her death when she was suddenly taken alarmingly sick.  Mr. Butler was alone with her and was unable to summon a physician before his wife expired.  Mrs. Butler was 61 years of age.  The funeral is to be held today at one o’clock p.m., and the interment will be at the cemetery near J. M. Butler’s.

--Mr. John Skelly, a farmer who was 52 years of age, left his home at Roaring Branch last Wednesday morning to attend to some repairs upon the public road about two miles distant, he being one of the Supervisors of Union Township.  He intended moving some timbers, and was driving his wagon with the box removed.  Going down a steep hill near his destination his team became unmanageable and ran away throwing Mr. Skelly with terrific force against the end of a log, crushing his skull and killing him instantly.  A coroner’s jury rendered a verdict in accordance with the above facts.  The funeral was held on Friday and the interment was made at Blossburg.  The deceased had a wife and six children.

--At Westfield, PA, Mrs. Adeline Dodge, aged 48 years.

--In Farmington, PA, October 26, 1890, Melissa Johnson, wife of Mr. Orange G. Johnson, aged 55 years. [Buried Butler Hill Cemetery]

--At Webb’s Mills, November 4, 1890, Mrs. Mary Keigler, aged 43 years.

--In Mansfield, PA, November 14, 1890, Joseph E. Scarfe, aged 17 years.

--Eugene Nichols, a consumptive and an inmate of the poor house, died last Friday night, aged 37 years.

--Miss Ella Robinson, a highly esteemed young lady of Blossburg, died last Sunday evening, of consumption.  She had been in poor health for several years.

--Mr. George Reese, a son of Mr. James Reese, of Liberty, was killed at Jersey Shore last Monday about noon.  He was driving through the street on a heavy load of lumber and by some means was thrown from the wagon, his head striking the ground, resulting in almost instant death.  Deceased was about 40 years of age and unmarried.  He was employed as a teamster, and had been only a short time in Jersey Shore.

--At Mansfield, PA, November 19, 1890, to Mr. and Mrs. Bert Bull, a son.

--At Millerton, PA, to Mr. and Mrs. James Shanley, a son.

--At Blossburg, PA, November 25, 1890, to the wife of Mr. John Anderson, a daughter.

December 9, 1890
Local News
--COVINGTON.—Mrs. Lorenzo Barber is dangerously sick with pleurisy.

--BROOKFIELD.—Mr. Charles Hunt cut his foot quite badly one day this week.

--BROOKFIELD.—There will be a lunch party at Mr. Peter Bush’s on the 12th of this month for the benefit of the Sunday school.

--Mrs. G. W. D. Eastman, who went to Utica, N.Y., last March to spend the summer with her daughter, Mrs. Shelby, has been suffering from the most severe form of Bright’s disease, and she is now in a very critical condition.

--Yesterday Frederick E. Beauge, who is teaching school in the Thomas district in Delmar, was out enjoying the coasting, when he attempted to stop his sled, which was running at a tremendous speed, and his right foot struck some obstacle and his ankle was badly fractured.

--Last Thursday afternoon Mr. Horace N. Hosmer, a workman for Harman, Borden & Co.’s factory, was at work in the lumber yard, when a pile of lumber toppled over upon him.  His right leg was broken below the knee and his back was injured seriously.  He was taken to his home on Central Avenue.  He is now doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

--Rev. U. A. White is the new pastor of the Disciple Church at Covington.

--Mrs. Peter VanNess, of Mansfield, is recovering from a serious sickness.

--Mr. Daniel S. Graves, of Knoxville, has just received an original pension.

--Mr. O. T. Haight has been elected Commander of the Gen. Mansfield Post, G.A.R.

--Mr. E. A. Retan’s young son, [Austin Retan] whose skull was recently fractured by the kick of a horse, at Millerton, is reportedly to be recovering as rapidly as can be expected.

--Mr. William Taylor, of Clymer, shot a large lynx a few days ago in the woods near Gurnee.  The beast measured about five feet from the tip of its nose to the end of its tail.

--We regret to learn of the serious sickness of Mr. D. B. Lain, of Jackson Summit, who is one of the leading citizens of that part of the county.  His friends are greatly alarmed about his condition.

--Mr. Lafayette Gray, a well known citizen of Sullivan, has been undergoing treatment recently at Elmira for partial blindness, and we regret to hear that there are slight hopes of his regaining his eyesight.

--Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Morrison, of Middlebury, were thrown out of a wagon a few days ago on their way home from this borough.  Mr. Morrison had one of his ribs broken, but his wife escaped with a few bruises.

--Mrs. S. A. Maynard, of Covington, was taking the washing from the clothesline last Wednesday morning, when she was caught by a violent gust of wind and thrown to the ground.  Her ankle and thumb were dislocated and she was badly bruised by the fall.

--Mr. G. S. Bennett was oiling the machinery in the Westfield foundry last Thursday, when he was caught by a belt and thrown senseless to the floor.  He was taken home, and it was found that his right forearm was broken and that he had sustained severe bruises.

--The Chemung Valley Tobacco Growers’ Association, which met at Corning, N.Y., last Thursday, elected the following officers for the ensuing year:  President, W. C. Morse, of Painted Post; Vice President, O. B. Lowell, of Tioga; Secretary and Treasurer, J. S. VanDuzer, of Horseheads, N.Y.  The Association adjourned to meet at Horseheads on the 13th instant to discuss the cultivation of tobacco.

--Last Wednesday morning when Mr. A. J. Dewey, the mail clerk at Tioga, went to the post office in the Wickham block he found the room full of smoke.  He rushed in and succeeded in putting out the fire with a few pails of water.  It was found that the trouble had been caused by a cigar stub which had been thrown into a spittoon filled with sawdust.  It was a very narrow escape from a disastrous conflagration.

--Mr. G. W. Sweetland had a stroke of paralysis last Thursday.  He was taken just before noon while at work in his shop in the Wickham block.  About 4 o’clock in the afternoon his condition was discovered and he was taken home.

--The son of Oscar Farr [Marriott Farr], who was accidentally shot last week by his cousin, is slowly improving.  The bullet struck the boy on the breast bone and passed around his body and was found just under the skin of the back.

--Mrs. Carl Bernkopf is visiting at Elmira and Susquehanna.

--Mr. and Mrs. George M. Spalding and Dr. and Mrs. Hugh L. Davis spent last week in Philadelphia.

--Mrs. M. F. Elliott has gone to New York City to spend a few weeks, after which she expects to go South for the winter.

--Mrs. James Starr, of Williamsport, is visiting her aunt, Mrs. John Dickinson.  Mrs. Starr will be remembered as Miss Mary Archer, the daughter of the late Dr. Archer, a leading physician here thirty years ago.

--Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Moores, of Blossburg, have gone to Jacksonville, Florida, to spend the winter.

Land/Business/Farm Transactions
--CHATHAM.—Mr. S. P. Beach is pressing hay which he has sold to dealers in Philadelphia.

--BROOKFIELD.—Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Pierce have moved from Ulysses to this township.  Mr. Pierce is to work Mr. J. Davis’s farm the coming year.

--Real Estate at Half Price.—Hon. Henry Sherwood’s old residence on Tioga Street, with nine acres, $2,500.

--Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Locke expect to be “at home” in their elegant new house on Bacon Street this week.

--Mr. and Mrs. John J. Carey have returned to this place and are keeping house for Dr. A. B. Eastman.

--Mr. James L. Robb informs us that he sold 50 car loads of hay in New York City last Thursday.  He expects to have 1,000 tons of hay delivered at the storehouse here during the winter.

--It is stated that Mr. L. A. Evans, of Ridgeway, PA., is about to move here and engage in the manufacture of the Turner bed springs.  We shall be glad to welcome other manufacturers in other branches also.

--Mr. Albert C. Shaw left last Thursday for Bradford, McKean County, where he is to assume the position of superintendent of agencies of the Singer Sewing Machine Company for the counties of McKean, Potter, Cameron and Elk.  Mr. Shaw is succeeded here by Mr. John Thompson.

--Mr. William N. Barton, a Mansfield mason, has gone to Scranton to work.

--Mr. Henry Fisk has just moved into his new dwelling house in Farmington.

--Mr. L. B. Reynolds, of Knoxville, recently purchased several thoroughbred imported Shropshire sheep.

--Editor J. J. VanHorne has sold the Elkland Journal establishment, and he expects to go to New York City to reside.

--During the high wind last Wednesday a portion of the roof over Mr. F. H. Adams’s store at Tioga was blown off.

--Mr. B. H. Parkhurst is putting up a new store building at Elkland on the site of the old harness shop which was burned several months ago.

--Mr. F. K. Green has moved from Elkland to New York City, where he has secured a position in the office of the American Express Company.

--General George J. Magee has resigned his position as general manager of the Beech Creek railroad and Mr. J. D. Layng, general manager of the West Shore railroad, has been appointed in his place.

--Mr. Charles S. Ross is at the head of the Sun Milling Company, at Mansfield, and Mr. Burton Schrader is the manager of the large new grist mill which has just been completed on the site of the old T. H. Bailey mill near the new county bridge.  The establishment is furnished with the best roller process machinery.

--Last Thursday afternoon Miss Flora Mosher and Mr. George W. Houk were married at Owego, N.Y., and they at once went to Ithaca, N.Y., where they are to reside.  The announcement of their marriage was a great surprise of their acquaintances of the young couple here.  Mr. Houk, who was formerly in business here, is now a clerk in Ithaca, where he has been living for several years.

--Invitations have been issued for the wedding of Miss Gertrude W. Kinney and Mr. J. Lester Ward, at Port Allegany, PA, next Thursday.  Mr. Ward formerly resided at Elkland.

--At Mosherville, November 23, 1890, Mr. Harry Fairbanks, of Austinville, and Miss Grace Shepard, of Mosherville.

--In Farmington, PA, November 14, 1890, by Rev. J. Campbell, John A. Leslie, of Wellsboro, and Hattie I. Beebe, of Farmington.

--At Troy, PA, November 15, 1890, Mr. Luther Ogden, of Ogdensburg, PA, and Mrs. Phoebe Knight, of Troy.

--At Troupsburgh, N.Y., November 24, 1890, Mr. William H. Wise and Miss Elma G. Buttler, both of Sabinsville, PA.

--BROOKFIELD.—Mrs. Burr Cody died last Saturday.  She left a husband and eight children, the youngest being only a month old.  The funeral was held in the Methodist church at Brookfield Hollow.  The family has the sympathy of all the neighbors.

--Mrs. A. B. Eastman died last Thursday morning after a sickness of about three weeks.  She was taken with what was at first nervous prostration, but the case became so complicated that a council of physicians was called.  The exact nature of her disease was uncertain and her death was unexpected.  Mrs. Eastman’s maiden name was Rose L. Robertson, and she formerly resided at Westfield.  She married Dr. Eastman something over three years ago.  She was 30 years of age.  She was a member of the Methodist Church.  The funeral was held at the residence on Main Street on Saturday afternoon at one o’clock, and Rev. Mr. Chamberlayne conducted the service.

--Mr. Edward Angell, of Knoxville, died last Wednesday after a painful sickness of four or five weeks.  He was about forty years old, and was an excellent citizen.  He left a wife and five young children.

--Mr. William Benson, a well known citizen of Roseville, was found dead in his bed last Tuesday morning.  He appeared to be in his usual health when he went to bed Monday night.  It is thought that the cause was heart disease.  Mr. Benson was about 65 years of age.  He was a widower.

--Hon. Robert P. Allen, a leading lawyer and business man of Williamsport, died last Saturday evening of Bright’s disease.  His age was 55 years and 10 months.  Mr. Allen was a native of Lycoming County.  He was admitted to the bar in 1858.  He served in the Union Army for three years during the war.  In 1874 he was elected as a Democratic member of the State Senate, and he represented his district in the Democratic National Convention of 1884.  He was a leading spirit in many business enterprises in Williamsport, and he was an officer of the Presbyterian Church.  He was a genial man and leaves a host of warm personal friends.  The funeral is to be held tomorrow afternoon.

--Last Wednesday morning Mr. John W. Potter died of congestion of the lungs, at his home at Hoytville.  He was sick only about four days, and his condition was not considered alarming until just before his death.  Mr. Potter was in his 67th year.  He leaves a widow, one son, and three daughters.  He was an earnest worker in the Methodist Church, and he was respected as a citizen and loved as a friend and neighbor.  He was a son of the late Ezra Potter, of Middlebury.  The funeral was held in the Methodist church at Hoytville last Saturday, and the remains were taken to Montoursville for interment, where the members of the Masonic Order conducted the burial service.  Mr. Potter was a brother of Mr. Hiram E. Potter and Mrs. H. W. Dartt, of this borough.

--Miss Emma Wilson, aged eighteen years, daughter of John Wilson, of Spring Hill, Bradford County, died a few days ago from the effects of a dose of poison, supposed to have been administered by her own hands.  No cause is known to have existed for the act.

--At Covington, PA, November 20, 1890, Mr. George H. Cleveland, aged 30 years.

--At Hoytville, PA, December 3, 1890, Mr. John W. Potter, aged 68 years, 7 months and 10 days.

--In Farmington, PA, November 14, 1890, of consumption, Helen M. Redfield, youngest daughter of Mr. J. B. Redfield and only sister of Mrs. J. Bottom.

December 16, 1890
Local News
--Mr. Reed W. Dunfee has just returned to his home at Monroe, Bradford County, after an absence of nearly thirty years, during which time he has been in continuous military service.  His friends were hardly able to recognize him.

--A few nights ago two masked burglars entered the residence of Robert Haines, at Corning, N.Y.  Mr. and Mrs. Haines were both chloroformed, and the burglars secured about $150 in cash which was in their room.  Mrs. Haines discovered the burglars, but was overpowered by force and then chloroformed.  In the struggle she was badly choked and bruised.

--Myron Spalding was sent to jail at Towanda, Bradford County, several weeks ago for threats and assault upon his mother.  A few days ago he was released, and he started for home, presumably under the influence of liquor.  He was overcome by the cold, and fell on the plank road, where he was found the next morning with his feet so badly frozen that is was decided they would have to be amputated.

--Mr. Thomas P. Wingate broke his left leg just above the knee one day last week by stepping on an insecure doorstep.

--Judge H. W. Williams was called to Easton, PA, last week on account of the sickness of his son, Dr. Charles N. Williams, who was suffering from a serious hemorrhage of the lungs.  Dr. Williams was reported much better on Saturday.

--Mr. James H. Gulick, of Blossburg, is critically sick.

--Mr. Albert D. Kemp, of Nelson, has received an original pension.

--Amos Jackson and Mr. Murray have recently killed five wildcats on the mountain near Keeneyville.

--Mr. C. C. Ackley, of Sabinsville, recently shot a white owl that measured five and one half feet from tip to tip of its outspread wings.

--Mr. John Harrer has been appointed Supervisor of Union Township, to fill the vacancy left by the death of Mr. John Skelly.

--Engineer William Delaney was badly scalded about the head a few days ago by the bursting of a glass gauge on his locomotive while in the Blossburg yard.

--Mr. Charles Kelley, who resides near Millerton, was seriously injured a few days ago by being run over by a wagon.  He was alighting from the vehicle, when his foot slipped and he was thrown under the wheel, which passed over his shoulder.

--Last Saturday the County Commissioners paid the bills of the Warren and Danville Hospitals for the board of 50 patients for three months, amounting to $1,090. Mr. James Farrell, of Arnot died at Danville during the quarter, and William Cooper, of Clymer, died at Warren.

--On a recent morning Mr. and Mrs. David Gates, of Mansfield, were nearly suffocated by coal gas.  The Advertiser says that about five o’clock Mr. Gates arose to do his work, and his wife in attempting to get up fell headlong to the floor.  The hired man, who was at the barn, was communicated with, and at once went for Dr. Barden.  The Doctor said the family had a narrow escape.

--The Covington Intelligencer says that Clarence Buck and J. D. Lutes, of Covington, are the inventors of and have applied for letters patent on an improvement in shells or explosive balls for use in heavy ordinance.  It is to be hoped that the invention may prove a success, though the experimenting by the inventors seems to be or rather a dangerous character, as Mr. Buck can testify.  When the balls explode at the target it is all right, but when they explode in the gun, as one did recently, it is rather demoralizing to the gun as well as to the operator.  Of course the experimenting is done on a small scale, an ordinary rifle with a large bore being used.

--Last Saturday afternoon a meeting of the survivors of Company G 45th PA Vols., was held at the Willcox House in this borough for organization.  Lieutenant Thomas J. Davies presided and the following members answered to roll call:
 -James. S. English
 -Darius H. Hotchkiss
 -Thomas J. Davies
 -John J. Rogers
 -Hiram D. Deming
 -Eugene Beauge
 -Ephraim Jeffers
 -William E. Peck
 -Samuel R. Rogers
 -Thomas J. Rogers
 -David E. Bowen
 -Vihemas S. Culver
 -Nelson Whitney
 -John J. Johnson
 -Thomas J. Butler
 -Josiah C. Reese
 -Reuben F. Patterson
 -Andrew J. Kiphart.
A permanent organization was effected by the election of the following officers:  President, Lieut. Thomas J. Davies; Vice President, Lieut. John J. Rogers; Secretary, Steward Hiram D. Deming; Recording Secretary, Sgt. Eugene Beauge; Treasurer, Lieut. Ephraim Jeffers.  It was decided that the first reunion be held on, March 21, 1891, at the Willcox House in Wellsboro.  Messrs. Samuel R. Rogers, James S. English, and Ephraim Jeffers were appointed a committee of arrangements for the reunion.  The other Companies of the 45th Regiment are requested to organize and join in the reunion.  It is required that all members of Company G send in their names to the Secretary and they make an effort to be present at the next meeting, which is to be held at this place January 31, 1891.

--DRAPER.—Mr. N. H. Compton was badly hurt one day this week by being thrown from the hind sled of a pair of “bobs”.  Mr. A. L. Ingerick was driving his team fast across the Ford Bridge, when the hind sled slewed and caught a rod of the bridge.  The roller was knocked out of the sled which went whirling off into the creek.  Mr. Compton was thrown about thirty feet, and his head and shoulders were jammed under a brace at the other end of the bridge.  He had a cross cut saw with him, and this cut his hand badly.  But it was very fortunate he was not killed.

--DRAPER.—Mr. Hiram Warriner, who had his leg broken some time ago, is so far recovered as to be about some.

--LAMB’S CREEK.—Mr. Ed Shellman had his foot hurt very badly while rolling logs a few days ago.

--LAMB’S CREEK.—Mr. Abner Jenkins cut a deep gash in his foot Monday of last week.

--Mr. Ernest C. Baxter, of Nelson, is a law student if the office of David Cameron, Esq.

--Prof. F. M. Smith has succeeded Mr. Wallace Loop as teacher of the school at Keeneyville.

--Miss Edna Edwards, a Mansfield Normal Student, was quite badly hurt while coasting one evening last week.

--Mr. John Rathbun, of Millerton, was brought to this borough on Tuesday evening and lodged in jail.  He is charged with threatening his wife with personal violence.

--Mr. Frank Loomis, the horse thief and burglar, mentioned in recent issues of the Gazette, broke jail at Cortland, N.Y., last Saturday night, and got away with a stolen horse and cutter.

--Mrs. Charles Jackson, of Blossburg, met with a severe accident a few days ago.  She alighted from the train and in walking through the dense steam from the air brakes, which prevented her from seeing where she was going, she ran against a pinch bar, used to raise the spikes from the rails, which was in the hands of Sam Landon.  A deep cut was made in her head from which she bled profusely.

--Thomas Wilhelm, of Hedgesville, N.Y., advertises that his wife “has left my bed and board without just cause or provocation and has contracted several debts for which he will not be held accountable for, as it has been found that she is now living with a husband, Sanford Leroy, of Knoxville, PA.”  Wilhelm also says that if the woman crosses the State line he will prosecute her for bigamy.

--Mrs. Bert M. Vodder, of Canoe Camp, has been suffering severely for a couple of months with a cancer in the right breast.  A council of physicians, recently held, determined that the only remedy with any hope of success was the knife, and in pursuance of this determination Drs. Robert B. Smith and Charles B. Borden, of Tioga, assisted by Dr. Moody, of this place, performed a successful operation last week Tuesday.

--Judge H. W. Williams and his family expect to start for Philadelphia tomorrow to spend the winter.

--Mrs. Jesse Whitney, of East Charleston, has gone to Kansas to spend the winter.

--Mr. and Mrs. B. G. Scoville, of Millerton, have gone to Georgia to spend the winter.

--Mr. E. G. Bosworth, of Blossburg, has just returned from an extended trip in North Carolina.

--Mr. William Olmstead, of Colorado, is home on a visit.  He found his mother, Mrs. S. L. Olmstead, very sick, but I understand she is better now.

--LAMB’S CREEK.—Mr. John Griffin, Mr. and Mrs. Pat Griffin and Mrs. Lanigan attended the funeral of Simon Gavigan in Corning last week Wednesday.

Land/Business/Farm Transactions
--Mr. Gregg J. Stewart has returned home from Ithaca, N.Y., having sold out the restaurant which he recently purchased there.

--We learn that Mr. E. S. Potter has resigned his position in the telegraph department of the Philadelphia Press and accepted a place as instructor in Mr. Felix Adler’s school in New York City.

--DeWitt Stubbs, of this borough, expects to begin business as a dealer in general merchandise at Thumptown in a few days.

--Mr. Harry Ellis, of Mansfield, has secured the agency for this county for the Barnard & Wallace washing machine and kitchen table.

--Dr. Lewis Darling, of Lawrenceville, has succeeded to the medical practice of D. H. C. May, at Corning.  He is to occupy Dr. May’s residence.

--Mr. C. C. Warren has moved from Elkland to Coudersport, where a stock company has been organized to manufacture his patent road cart.

--DRAPER.—Mr. Albert Osborn is finishing off a house for Eugene Wilson at Thumpton.

--DRAPER.—Mr. H. B. Gillett is working for Mr. Clarence Barnes, in a saw mill, this winter.

--LIBERTY.—Mr. H. M. Speicher, a first class barber, has opened a shop here in a part of Wheeland’s jewelry store.

--LIBERTY.—Mr. William Woodruff’s family has moved into the large new house lately occupied by Mr. John Foulkrod.

--LIBERTY.—Mr. John Foulkrod has moved into the dwelling house lately occupied by the family of John C. Newman, on the corner of Wilson and High streets.

--LIBERTY.—John J. Sheffer expects soon to move from his farm to his handsome new dwelling house on Main Street.

--LAMB’S CREEK.—Mr. Walter Watkins has moved his family from Walter’s hill to this place.

--Mr. D. G. Ritter has secured employment as a carpenter with Weed & Co., at Slate Run.

--Mr. James B. VanDusen, formerly of this place, has been elected foreman of Crary Hose Company, of Westfield.

--It is stated the Mr. John Buchan, of Gaines, is soon to remove to Puget Sound, Washington, to engage in the lumber trade.

--MANSFIELD.—Mr. Frank Hunt, of Binghamton, N.Y., has moved his family to this place and opened a variety store in the Opera House block, on Wellsboro Street.

--At Wellsboro, PA, December 11, 1890, by A. S. Brewster, Esq., Mr. George Rice, of Wellsboro, and Miss Whiting, of Cherry Flats.

--The dead body of Abram Schrell, of Athens, PA, was found on the railroad bridge near his home a few evenings ago.  Both legs were cut off at the knee.  He was about 65 years of age.

--Mrs. Harriet P. Watts, of Tioga, died of paralysis last Saturday afternoon.  She was the widow of a soldier of the Union and was about 59 years of age.  She was a sister of Messrs. William Goodrich and H. H. Goodrich.

--Rev. Henry Schulter died at his home near Tioga last week Monday at the age of 75 years. He was a Free Methodist preacher, but gave up preaching some years ago on account of failing health.

--Last Saturday Fred Marvin and Frank Marvin, aged 20 and 18 years respectively, died at the home of their mother, Mrs. Henry Sampson, in Covington Township, near Cherry Flats.  Frank was taken sick on the previous Sunday immediately after returning home from Blossburg, where he had been to summon a physician for his mother, who was dangerously sick.  Fred was stricken on Monday and he died on Saturday morning.  While the funeral of Fred was being held on Saturday afternoon, Frank died.  His remains were buried the same evening.  Both the young men were highly esteemed, and they bade fair to become intelligent and useful citizens.  Their death is a crushing blow to their mother, who is still seriously sick, and small hopes are entertained of her recovery.

--Mr. Frederick Youdes, a one time resident of Liberty, but for the past forty years a citizen of Jackson, Lycoming County, died very suddenly last Monday morning after eating his breakfast.   He was 71 years of age.  He was a most worthy citizen.

--CHATHAM.—Mrs. S. W. Mosher, who had been suffering from cancer for several months, died yesterday at about 2 o’clock. Aunt Mary—for so everyone called her—was born in Cayuga County, N.Y., nearly seventy years ago, and she lived there until after her marriage with Mr. Mosher.  They moved into Chatham some forty years ago and have resided here ever since.  Mrs. Mosher was a loving and faithful wife, tender mother, a good neighbor, and a Christian woman.  Her husband and two children survive her.  The funeral is to be held on Sunday.

--In Lawrence, PA, December 9, 1890, Mr. G. W. Green, aged 70 years.

--At Wellsboro, PA, December 14, 1890, to Mr. and Mrs. Charles Fischler, a son.

--At Wellsboro, PA, December 11, 1890, to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Conevery, a son.

December 23, 1890
Local News
--Mr. Benjamin Borden who resides on Walnut Street had the misfortune to have his left leg broken last Tuesday while he was at work in the woods on Pine Creek.  A log jumped from a slide and struck Mr. Borden, and it was fortunate that he was not killed. The accident is a serious blow to his as he has a large family of young children to support.

--Mr. S. S. Gillett, of Mansfield, has gone to New York City to be treated for cataracts.  He is nearly blind.

--Mr. Jacob Hilfiger, who resides near Mansfield, was seriously injured by being kicked by a horse a few days ago.

--Mr. A. J. Corwin, of Millerton, was seriously injured last Thursday evening by stepping off the walk near Miller’s store and falling to the bed of the creek.

--Master Burt Francis, the young son of Mr. George F. Francis, of Delmar, was quite badly bitten by a dog belonging to Mr. H. L. Roblyer, on the school grounds in the Francis district, last Wednesday.  The dog had followed Mr. Roblyer’s son to school and pitched at Burt when young Roblyer’s handed him a pair of “bones”.  A considerable piece of flesh was bitten out of the boy’s thigh.  Nobody was to blame for the occurrence, for the dog had never shown a vicious spirit before.

--Last Thursday morning Mrs. J. E. Masten, of Blossburg, placed her four month old baby in a rocking chair in front of the open oven of the kitchen stove while she prepared breakfast.  She placed a stick of wood under the rockers to keep the chair from tipping forward, but in some way it was knocked out and the child was pitched headlong into the hot oven.  The mother rescued it in an instant, but it is stated that the little one was badly burned, and if it recovers from the injuries it is likely to be disfigured for life.

--Last Friday it was reported here that Mr. Asa Harvey, a well known meat peddler, had been frozen to death while on his way home in the storm last Wednesday night.  Upon tracing up the story our reporter learned that Mr. Harvey had abandoned his wagon by the roadside in Charleston and found shelter for himself and horse during the night at Mr. William Bliss’s.  Last evening another rumor was caught that Mr. Harvey had started out from Bliss’s Thursday morning for home and perished within two miles of his destination on Lamb’s Creek.  We hope that the last report may prove to be quite as unfounded as the first one.

--Mr. John Rathbun, the old soldier whose recent sudden and romantic marriage and subsequent troubles at Daggett’s Mills made him somewhat notorious, has got into hot water again. After a brief period of wedded bliss he was arrested for abusing his wife, but he was released on the promise that he would leave that neighborhood and never return.  But ten days ago he again popped up.  Being duly notified of the fact by interested parties, who claimed to fear that mischief would be done, on Tuesday afternoon Constable E. A. Retan arrested Rathbun, and after a hearing he was brought to the county jail in default of $100 bail.  It is thought that here he will be out of danger himself, and he won’t have any pistols, butcher knives, axes or pitchforks to flourish for the intimidation of other people.

--A sad case is reported by a Mansfield correspondent.  The eldest daughter of Mr. W. V. Powers, of Richmond Township, is critically sick with scarlet fever. She was supposed to be recovering, when she took cold and suffered a relapse.  She is 13 years of age and her few years have been full of peculiar misfortune.  When about five or six years old she was terribly burned while playing around a bonfire.  So badly was she injured that she had to be in bed three or four years, while repeated efforts of physicians were made to heal over large portions of her body by grafting and other treatment, where the cuticle had been completely destroyed by fire.  They were finally successful, and the poor girl after being bed ridden for four years and suffering untold misery, got around again in an emaciated, deformed and crippled condition.  Owing to her youth, she gradually improved, and had during the lapse of years, nearly recovered good health, form and strength, when recently she was attacked by that dread disease, scarlet fever.

--The Elkland Journal says that Mr. and Mrs. James Seely and their daughter met with quite a serious accident near Elkland last Wednesday night while returning from Addison in the blinding storm.  Just above the narrow gauge railroad crossing the creek had undermined part of the old roadway and washed out a hole about eight feet deep. At this point their team instead of following the new track around the hole, kept the old track and went completely off the bank, turning over in their descent.  Fortunately the heavy sleighs remained on the brink of the chasm or the accident might have proved a more serious one.  Mr. Seely was obliged to cut his harness all to pieces in order to extricate his horses, after which he went to Elkland for assistance.  Mr. Signor sent his porter with a team to get the women, but on their way they ran off the bridge and broke their sleigh and had to leave it and return home.  In the meantime the women had started out to find their way to some house, and finally succeeded in reaching the Mountain House nearly benumbed with cold.  The whole party was obliged to remain there until the storm abated and the road opened the next day, when another conveyance was procured and they succeeded in reaching friends at Osceola.

--Judge and Mrs. H. W. Williams and their daughter Virginia and Mr. and Mrs. L. A. Gardner, of this borough, were among the passengers on the train going to Elmira last Wednesday evening which was snow bound for thirty six hours at Jackson Summit.  The travelers lived very comfortable in the cars and they found the people in that neighborhood very hospitable indeed for they were abundantly supplied with food.  On Thursday morning Messrs. W. D. Knox and Peter Criss who were passengers on the stalled train, concluded that they would strike out for Millerton where they expected to be able to obtain a rig and drive to Elmira.  They had not covered a mile from the train when they found themselves helpless in a snow drift and after much floundering and ballooning they managed to attract the attention of a farmer who got them out of the drift, both men being completely exhausted.

--NELSON.—Yesterday morning Mr. H. D. Goodrich had a narrow escape from what might have been a serious accident.  He was cutting wood, and his double bitted axe caught on the clothes line and hit him on the side of the face.  Had the blow been a little higher it would probably been fatal.

--WESTFIELD.—I am glad to report that Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Rich and their daughter Miss Nina Rich, have become residents of this borough.

--BROOKFIELD.—Mr. Edwin Murray went to Keeneyville recently to hunt in company with his brother-in-law, Amos Jackson.  They killed six wild cats, making a good thing of it with the $2 bounty and the sale of the skins.

--BROOKFIELD.—Another hunter, Will Hammond, has killed quite a number of foxes this winter.

--Mr. Morgan Huyler, of Westfield, was stricken with paralysis on Tuesday of last week, and is in a critical condition.

--Mr. Arthur Mallory, while handling a load of logs a few days ago at Dodge’s mill, near Westfield, had his skull crushed by a heavy log rolling upon him.  The young man was still alive at last reports, but his recovery is not expected.

--Rev. and Mrs. E. B. Cornell are to spend Christmas at Dundee, N.Y.

--Mr. Homer Cox came home last Tuesday from Lehigh University to spend the holidays.

--Mrs. L. P. Williston was called to Elmira, N.Y. last Wednesday on account of the serious illness of her sister, Mrs. Taylor.

--Capt. A. M. Pitts, of Mansfield, is to spend the remainder of the winter in the south on account of his health.

--CHATHAM.—Mr. Luther Davis and his wife are home for the holidays from the Business College at Elmira.

Land/Business/Farm Transactions
--A. C. Roland has leased Mrs. H. S.  Archer’s dwelling house and will soon occupy it.

--Mr. Robert G. Austin has leased the Coles Hotel for a term beginning on the first of January next.

--Mr. Charles Hoadley succeeds, Mr. Harry J. Willcox, as telegraph operator at the up town office.  Mr. Willcox has secured a place at T. B. Field & Son’s, mill at the Summit in scaling logs and telegraphing for the firm.

--Mr. O.G. Padgett is building up a large trade on his home made confectionery.  As a candy maker he is a success and his taffy is always pronounced just right by his customers.  We are glad to know that his candy trade is increasing, for his wares are genuine and of fine quality.

--Mr. Jacob Stout, a Mansfield printer, has secured a situation on the Elkland Journal.

--It is said that Mr. Robert Dartt is to succeed Mr. L. F. Allen as landlord of the Hotel Allen at Mansfield on the first of January.

--Rev. N. A. White has accepted a call from the Covington and Canoe Camp Churches of Christ.  He is to begin his labors with the New Year.

--Dr. Walter R. Francis is about to dispose of his medical practice at Knoxville, and he expects soon to locate to Marion, Indiana, a thriving natural gas town.

--Rev. J. B. Blachet has resigned his rectorship of the Mansfield Episcopal Church to accept a call to East Liverpool, Ohio, a thriving manufacturing town.

--Dr. Henry E. Caldwell, of Morris Run, has been appointed resident physician for the State Hospital at Blossburg.  We understand that the Trustees have decided to employ a professional nurse who will act as matron and with Dr. Caldwell will have entire charge of the institution for the present.  It is expected that the hospital will be furnished and in a running order by the middle of January.

--WESTFIELD.—Mr. Ira Austin and family have moved from Binghamton, N.Y.  They occupy the house of Mrs. Wakely, next door to the American House.

--The invitation is out for the wedding of Miss Nettie A. Hall and Mr. Joseph H. Milliken, at the home of the bride’s parents, on West Avenue today at half past one.

--The marriage of Miss Ida M. Schoch, of Jersey Shore, to Mr. William Wilson Reno is announced to take place on New Year’s Day.  Miss Schoch is well known in this county as a lecturer.

--At the home of the bride’s parents, in Corning, N.Y., December 4, 1890, by Rev. A. J. Hurd, Mr. John V. Hotelling and Miss Goldie M. Crane, both of Corning, N.Y.

--At the home of the bride’s parents, December 18, 1890, by Rev. E. B. Cornell, Mr. Nelson L. Rumsey and Miss Rose Hotchkiss, both of Wellsboro, PA.

--At the residence of the bride, December 18, 1890, by Rev. O. S. Chamberlayne, Mr. Harry A. Warren and Miss Lottie VanOrder, both of Wellsboro, PA.

--At Lindley, N.Y., December 19, 1890, by Henry Stowell, Esq., Mr. Frank Wheeler and Miss Cora Patrick, both of Tioga, PA.

--At the Methodist parsonage, Wellsboro, PA, December 23, 1890, by Rev. O. S. Chamberlayne, Mr. William H. Fletcher and Miss Edith Petris, both of East Charleston.

--At the Delevan House, Elmira, N.Y., December 19, 1890, by Rev. M. F. Dewitt, Mr. George W. Doane, of Nelson, PA., and Miss Cora Sinsabaugh, of Westfield, PA.

--Mrs. Fred Hall, of Tioga, died a few days ago after a lingering illness. The funeral was held on Saturday.

--Mrs. Job Rexford [Chloe Rexford], of Harrison Valley, died on the 10th instant after a long sickness.  She was an estimable woman, and she had a large circle of admiring friends in that region.

--Mrs. James Stevenson [Sarah Logan Stevenson], a sister of Dr. Charles S. Logan, of Arnot, died on Tuesday near Cherry Flats of cancer of the throat.  The funeral was held at Arnot on Saturday.  She was an excellent woman.

--Yesterday morning Louis Parker, the bright twelve year old son of Mr. and Mrs. George Parker, who reside on the Willcox farm in Delmar, died of diphtheria.  Some weeks ago a young daughter has the disease and recovered, and about a week ago Louis was stricken down, the case assuming a very malignant form from the first.

--Last Saturday night Mr. Henry Sampson, who lived in Covington, near Cherry Flats, died of diphtheria.  He was the step father of Fred Marvin and Frank Marvin, the young men who died of the same disease in the same house just a week before.  A young child is still critically sick with the same disease in the house.  Mrs. Sampson, who was very sick, is reported to be improving.

--Mr. Stewart M. Geer, one of the oldest and best known citizens of Tioga, dropped dead of heart disease last Sunday morning.  Mr. Geer had been about as usual on Saturday and on Sunday morning he appeared in his usual health.  About eleven o’clock he went out to his blacksmith shop in company of his son and while there he fell to the floor and died in a moment.  Mr. Geer was about 70 years of age.  He was an expert blacksmith and a very intelligent man.  “Stew”, as he was familiarly called, was widely known.  He was a prominent Odd Fellow and a genial large hearted man, one who never hesitated to express his opinion on any subject, and he was a man of very strong convictions.  He was Constable of Tioga for many years.  He appeared to be a remarkably well preserved man for one of his years, and his life had been one of great activity.  The funeral is to be held this afternoon at two o’clock.

--At the residence of his son, in Delmar, PA, November 29, 1890, of pneumonia, Mr. Israel Plumley, aged 76 years and 10 months.  Mr. Plumley was born in New Hampshire and came to this region when a child with his parents.  He joined the Methodist Church at the age of 18.  He was a son of Israel and Hannah Plumley, long known residents of Delmar.

--At Harrison Valley, PA, November 25, 1890, to Dr. and Mrs. M. B. Pritchard, a daughter.

--At Blossburg, PA, December 2, 1890, to Mr. and Mrs. James Thompson, a son.

December 30, 1890
Local News
--We regret to learn that our venerable townsman, Mr. Chester Robinson, is seriously ill.

--Mr. Martin Stratton, of Blossburg, one of the pioneers of this county, celebrated his 84th birthday last week Monday.

--Dr. William T. Humphrey, of Osceola, has just passed his 66th birthday.  He has practiced medicine in the Cowanesque valley for forty two years.

--Mr. Nathan Niles was hunting rabbits at Painter Run a few days ago, when he slipped and fell and his gun discharged, carrying away the end of one of his fingers.

--Mr. E. H. Mosher, Chairman of the Democratic County Convention, has appointed the Committee for 1891.  Mr. John W. Bailey is names for Wellsboro and Mr. W. D. Knox for Deerfield.

--Mr. Asa Harvey, the meat peddler, turned up all right after the big snow storm, not withstanding that “Dame Rumor” tried her best to freeze him to death at two different places upon different days.  In the language of the slangist, “That’s different”.

--The following are among the pensions recently granted to persons in this county:  Original—Robert H. Slocum, Little Marsh; George Bonnell, Nauvoo.  Increase—Justus D. Garrison, Daggett’s Mills; M. D. Moore, Blossburg; George P. Wilson, Wellsboro.

--It is reported that Dr. Henry E. Caldwell, of Morris Run, had a perilous experience during the great snow storm on the night of the 17th instant.  He had been at Holmes Mills to attend a patient and attempted to return after dark.  He became bewildered in the storm, and his horse became so tired that it could no longer carry him.  He started on foot, leading the horse, and spent the night wandering around in the laurel swamps.  When by chance he reached Fall Brook he was so confused that he had to be told where he was.  It was a narrow escape from perishing in the blizzard.

--Mr. Francis G. Babcock, of the Tioga Express, who was arrested at Elmira recently by Mr. Connelly, one of the proprietors of the Pattison House, on the charge of defrauding the firm out of $5, was honorably discharged by the Recorder last Wednesday.  It seems that the trouble arose from a misunderstanding about running an advertisement in the Express.  Babcock collected the bill of one of the proprietors.  Then the hotel men concluded that they had never contracted for the work and had Babcock arrested, and he spent a night in jail.  Mr. Babcock has instituted proceedings against the Connelly brothers for false imprisonment, and we trust he will make them sweat for the “smartness”.

--SULLIVAN.—Early last Tuesday morning the large barns and sheds on Mr. Robert (Probably Herbert) H. Roblyer’s stock farm in Sullivan Township were destroyed by fire and fourteen dairy cows were lost together with a large quantity of produce.  Mr. John Simmons, who works the farm, went out at about half past five to do the milking and feed the stock.  He hung up his lantern while he gave the animals hay. As he was passing through the barn with an armful of hay he heard a loud report, and turning, he saw that the lantern had exploded and set fire to the hay overhead.  In a moment the flames flashed into such proportions that they were entirely beyond control.  Mr. Simmons rushed to the cow stable, where 19 head stood in the stanchions struggling wildly to free themselves.  Their fright made the work of rescue very difficult, but he succeeded in releasing five cows and was then obliged to leave fourteen head to perish in the flames.  Stored in the buildings were about seventy tons of choice hay, eighty bushels of oats, a quantity of buckwheat, two lumber wagons, a hay tedder, and other farm tools, all of which were burned.  A large granary standing only about twenty feet from one of the barns was with great difficulty saved with its valuable contents.  Several of the neighbors responded promptly to the alarm of fire, and rendered a valuable assistance in saving the granary and other property.  The loss is estimated at $2,500.  There was a partial insurance on the building in the Tioga County Grangers Fire Insurance Company.  Mr. Roblyer is one of the best farmers in that region, and he has a host of friends who sincerely regret his heavy loss.  Fortunately his horses were in another barn.

--WESTFIELD.—Mrs. C. F. Brown went to Wellsboro last Tuesday to see her sister, Mrs. W. H. Kizer.  Mrs. Brown returned on Wednesday.  Her father, who lives in Brookfield, is not expected to live.  He was stricken with apoplexy on the 15th instant, and has been failing ever since.

--EAST FARMINGTON.—Mrs. Jane Fisk has moved back into this part of the township to reside with her son.

--EAST FARMINGTON.—Mrs. Sarah C. Howe has gone to Bradford to spend the winter with her son John.

--ROUND TOP.—Mr. Samuel Coolidge is making arrangements to go West again next spring.  He is going to look after his business interests in Nebraska and to take charge of the property owned by his brother John in New Mexico.  His family will go with him.

--Letters of administration of the estate of Jonathan B. Black, late of Liberty, Tioga County, PA, deceased, have been granted by the Register of Tioga County to John Haggerty, of said township, in said county, to whom all persons indebted to said estate are requested to make payment, and those having claims or demands will make know the same without delay.

--The undersigned, appointed an Auditor by the Court to report distribution of the funds in the hands of D. W. Baldwin, Administrator of the estate of Caleb Trowbridge, deceased, late of Westfield, Tioga County, PA, will attend to the duties of his appointment, at his office in Wellsboro, PA, on Friday, January 16, 1891, at one o’clock p.m. at which time and place all persons having claims are notified to present and prove them or be debarred from coming upon said fund.  Signed E. H. Owlett.

--Mr. A. B. Horton is visiting at Bradford and Johnsonburg, PA.

--Mrs. Hal T. Williams, of Troy, has been visiting at her parents.

--Miss Zenette M. Clark went to Buffalo, N.Y., last Friday to visit friends.

--Mrs. Mary Lamb, of Oxford, N.Y., is visiting her daughter, Mrs. W. D. Shaw.

--Misses Ray Giles and Nina Giles, of Jamestown, N.Y., are visiting their sister, Mrs. Arthur M. Roy.

--WESTFIELD.—Dr. Frank Masten is home from Buffalo Medical College, visiting his parents, Dr. and Mrs. James Masten.

--WESTFIELD.—Mr. Theodore Rood’s son Ernest Rood, of Warren, is here spending the holidays with his parents and warm friends.

--WESTFIELD.—Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Pierce, of Austinburg, were here on Christmas, visiting Mrs. Pierce’s uncle.  Mr. W. C. Griffin.

--TIOGA.—Charles Smith and George Smith, who are attending Union College, are home for the holidays.

--TIOGA.—Mr. Harry Smith and wife have returned from Athens, PA.

--TIOGA.—Q. W. Farr is home for the holidays.

--TIOGA.—Miss Mary Davis is visiting in Michigan.

--TIOGA.—Devere Shappee is home from Rochester for a few days.

--EAST FARMINGTON.—Mr. D. A. Clark has gone to Athens to spend the holidays with his family.

Land/Business/Farm Transactions
--Mr. George C. Bowen is the new clerk at the Coles Hotel.

--Mr. F. A. Churchill is now doing editorial work on the Bradford Star Mail.

--Our former townsman, Mr. Waldo W. Miller, has sold out his business at Andover, N.Y., and moved to Hammond, Louisiana, 51 miles north of New Orleans, where he is engaged in the manufacture of yellow pine lumber.  Mr. Miller recently purchased 5,000 acre of timber land at that place, and he is building a large saw mill on the line of the Illinois Central railway.  Mr. Miller’s wife and daughter have gone south with him to spend the winter.

--Mr. Nehemiah Losey, of Lawrenceville, has been appointed Mercantile Appraiser for 1891.

--Mr. C. H. Bailey contemplates locating his foundry and machine shop at Elkland instead of building at Knoxville.

--Mr. M. Thompson has moved from John Cole’s saw mill on the California road to Mrs. Sylvanus Gardner’s place on the North Fork road.

--ROUND TOP.—Mr. B. F. Claus has bought of Mr. Delos Winne, for $550, the house and lot opposite the church.  The house is to be used as a Methodist parsonage when needed for that purpose.

--At the Methodist parsonage, Wellsboro, PA, December 26, 1890, by Rev. O. S. Chamberlayne, Mr. Frank A. Ackley, and Miss Nina Seamans, both of Sabinsville, PA.

--At Addison, N.Y., December 24, 1890, by Rev. W. I. Janes, Mr. Philip Carpenter, of Little Marsh, and Miss Carrie Mourey, of Farmington, PA.

--At the home of the bride’s parents, in Morris Run, PA., December 24, 1890, by Rev. H. C. Munro, Mr. Charles Martin and Miss Christina Munro.

--At the Wellsboro House, Wellsboro, PA, December 25, 1890, by Rev. O. S. Chamberlayne, Mr. Frank M. Wilson, of Liberty, and Miss Mabel C. LaSuer, of Lloyd, PA.

--Mr. George Kumm, of Niles Valley, died last week Sunday of pneumonia.  He was 56 years of age.  He was a German, a workman in the tannery and was highly esteemed as a citizen.  He leaves a widow, a son, and two daughters.

--GAINES.—December 25, 1890.—Mr. Thomas Cole, of Lawrenceville, has recently been working for Mr. George Decker, a lumberman here.  Today he was holding Mr. Decker’s baby while Mrs. Decker was attending to some of her household duties.  She noticed that he acted strangely, and said to him “Tom, you’ll drop my baby”, and started to take the child.  Before she reached him, however, the baby fell and Cole toppled over and fell dead.  Mrs. Decker was alone, and of course she was much frightened.  Dr. F. H. S. Ritter, who happened to be spending Christmas in town, was summoned and found that life was extinct.  Mr. Cole was born in Orange County, N.Y., whence he moved to Lawrenceville.  He was about 53 years old and leaves a wife and two children—a son and a daughter aged 18 and 14 years respectively.  Although there was no suspicion of anything wrong, the Coroner was notified of Mr. Cole’s sudden death, and the friends await his action.  Mr. Cole was a genial, good-natured man, sober and industrious, and by his upright, honorable life he won friends by the score.

--EAST FARMINGTON.—Death has again been busy amongst us, claiming not an old man whose work seemed finished, but taking John E. Butler, a man of only 27 years and one who seemed to be needed for many years yet.  He was stricken with consumption last summer, or rather he has been on the decline since an attack of “the grip” last winter, but was able to be about until cold weather began this fall.  He was a good neighbor, a kind and loving father and husband and a well beloved son and brother.  Death found him ready to depart to be with the Saviour in whom he trusted, and to leave his wife and four little children in the hands of the widow’s and orphan’s God.