The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery

Tri County Clippings- Page One Hundred Thirty Seven

Submitted by Marolyn CAMPBELL Cole
These obituaries are presented in scrapbook order. I can't think of a better way of understanding a community than by reading an obituary scrapbook.
 Mrs. Ruth S. Kingsley, whose death was noticed in the GAZETTE last week, was born in Elmira, N.Y., in 1816, and was the daughter of John and Sarah Brown.  Her father was of the Quaker faith, and a man of high christian character and standing.  At the age of twenty she was married to Mr. J. A. Kingsley, of this county, where she has since resided.  Mr. and Mrs. Kingsley have raised a family of two sons and four daughters, all of whom are living and were all at her bedside when she died.
 Mrs. Kingsley’s life has been an active one.  Until laid aside by disease she was ready and earnest in every work for the glory of God or the good of her fellowmen.  She was an earnest Christian woman, and her piety made itself manifest to her daily life, and especially felt in her home and with her children.  But perhaps the real strength and beauty of her Christian character were perfected and made more manifest during the days of her illness.  For years she was a sufferer under the painful disease which terminated her life.  For five years she was nearly helpless.  She bore all with marvelous courage and patience.  She longed to be released from her sufferings, yet willing to endure and wait God’s time.  Those who have only known her during these years of helplessness have seen in her a wonderfully sweet and submissive spirit, that seemed momentarily waiting to leave its worn and perishing tenement, and wing its flight to heaven.  She loved to have Christians talk and pray at her bedside.  No murmuring word ever escaped her lips, but her mouth was filled with praise to God for his love and goodness to her.  She passed through deep waters, but they did not overflow her, and through the fire, but only the dross was consumed, while the spirit was refined and burnished, so as the better to reflect the image of its Lord and Master.  When death came at last he came disrobed of his terrors, bringing victory and rest to the weary one; and the thought of this great release and glorious triumph of the patient sufferer, has brought comfort to the children who have most faithfully and tenderly cared for their mother during the years of her suffering.

 Stephen Corby, and old and respected citizen of our village died at his residence on North street, on Thursday last.  His funeral took place from the house on Saturday at 3 o’clock p.m. and was largely attended.

 Waverly, N.Y., Dec. 18—Early last Sunday morning Chief-of-Police E. D. Brooks, while searching for burglars in Sawyer’s clothing store, was terribly wounded by a ball from a revolver in the hands of Officer Baker, who was also looking for the thieves, and supposed Brooks to be one of them.  The particulars of the affair are as follows:  Brooks was passing the store when he noticed the front door open, and supposing thieves to be inside removing property, fearlessly walked in.  He groped his way to a stair door and was in the act of opening it, when some one cried, “halt”.  Supposing his challenger to be one of the burglars, he hesitated a moment before answering, and a second after the challenge was given the unknown man fired.  Brooks fell terribly wounded by a large ball that entered his jaw on the right side and passed through, lodging in the cords of the neck.  Officer Baker, the man who did the shooting, rushed toward the supposed burglar, and was horrified to see that it was Chief Brooks.  Assistance was summoned and Brooks was removed to his home, where he now lies very ill, but greatly improved.  Baker, it seems, found the rear door of the store open, and summoning two yard men proceeded to investigate with the above result.  He encountered Brooks a moment after entering the store, and it is probable that both men entered by different ways at the same time.  It is thought that the burglars were in the store at the time of the shooting, and that they made their escape while the party were gone to the doctor’s office.  However, they escaped unseen and have not yet  been captured, although descriptions of them have been telegraphed all over this section of New York and Pennsylvania.  They secured a complete outfit of clothing, from underwear to overcoats.  By the clothing left behind they have been recognized as two tramps who had been in the vicinity some time.  No blame is attached to Baker, who is an old and careful officer.  Brooks is a man of more than ordinary courage and has proved a most efficient officer.  His father was once sheriff of Tioga county.

 The birthday anniversary of Maud and Lula, little daughters of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Birdsall, on North Main street, happen on the same day—May 10th.  This year Maud was ten and Lula five years of age.  Printed invitations were issued to a score or more of their friends, and a happy celebration of the even took place at their home.

 On Tuesday afternoon last, at about two o’clock, Mrs. Martin Morley, Mrs. Seldin Merrill and Alfred Merrill, the four year old son of Mrs. Merrill, got into a boat lying in the inlet race to Mrs. Seth Morley’s grist mill, on the Chemung river, about one mile below Athens, for the purpose of taking a short ride.  They were cautioned by Mr. Morley not to go up the race as the river was high, and there was danger of their being drawn over the river dam at the head of the race by the swiftly running current.  They rowed the boat up the race, and were seen a few rods down the race from the dam, and in water that was comparatively still.  At about half-past three Mr. Morley became worried at their non-return, and accompanied by Fred Loomis, went up the race in search of them.  Arriving at the dam, neither the boat nor its occupants were anywhere to be seen.  Fearing that some mishap had befallen the occupants of the boat, they began a search down the river for them.  Near where Green’s creek enters the river—about a half mile below the dam—the boat was found, nearly filled with water, and just below it, lodged in a bunch of willows the cap worn by the little boy.  An alarm was at once given and the people of the neighborhood commenced a search for the bodies of the drowned.  Up to Wednesday at 4 p.m., none of them had been found.
 Mrs. Merrill was about 25 years of age.  She lived near the Morley mill.  Her little boy would have been four years old in June next.  Her husband, Selden Merrill, was away from home.  He is a stone mason by trade, and formerly resided at Blossburg.  Mrs. Merrill leaves a sorrowing husband and a little girl about 14 months of age.
 Mrs. Morley was the wife of Martin Morley, son of John Morley, who resides near the mill.  She was about 19 years of age, and leaves a child 15 months old.
 No one knows just how the accident occurred, but it is supposed that when the occupants of the boat found themselves going over the dam they either jumped out of it, or getting upon one side of it tipped it until they were thrown out, and into the river.
 The dam is what is known as a pole dam and is probably about four or five feet high, but in high water, water is hardly an obstruction to navigating the river.  A person with ordinary knowledge of how to manage a boat, could pass over it now with perfect safety in a light skiff.
 The above was taken from the Bradford Republican.  Charley Allen was up on Wednesday looking after the matter, and the facts set forth are as near correct as possible.  Since the article was written there has been a constant search, both night and day, for the bodies, but up to the time of going to press all efforts have been fruitless.  Parties were firing a cannon all day Thursday over the water where the three were supposed to have been drowned.  It is a very sad affair and the bereft friends have the deep sympathy of the whole community.

 Miss Carrie Barlow, of Breesport, N.Y., and Lewis H. Mills, of Athens, Pa., were married the 17th of May, 1884, and lived together in more or less happiness and peace for a few months.  A child was born and Mrs. Mills returned to her parents’ home at Breesport and commenced an action against her husband who is a railroad man, for divorce on the grounds of his unfaithfulness to his marriage vows.  M. V. B. Bachman, of Horseheads, conducted the case for her and William F. Warner of Waverly, represented the defendant.  Judge Murray appointed the Hon. John T. Davidson referee to take testimony in the case and render an opinion to the court.  Much evidence was secured and the referee returned his opinion to Judge Murray that the divorce should be granted as prayed for and it was so ordered by his honor.  The lady who brought the action is at her former home in Breesport and is said to be lying at the point of death with consumption.  She is very highly spoken of by all who know her and is receiving the sympathy of all who are conversant with her sad history.  It is stated that she is a young lady of many winning qualities and she is very highly regarded at her home.

 Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock the funeral services over the mortal remains of the late James Hill were conducted at the Presbyterian church.  The large church was well filled with friends before the funeral party entered the church.  The remains were in a handsome casket, which was borne by four colored men, John Bornnet, W. R. Scott, D. S. Williams and P. M. Jones, followed by the pall bearers, Hon. C. E. Parker, Hon. Wm. Smyth, W. H. Ellis, B. M. Stebbins, J. C. Dwelle and Dr. C. R. Heaton.
 Rev. A. C. McKenzie read from the Scripture appropriate passages and offered a fervent prayer.  His funeral discourse was from St. James 4th, 13-14, and was filled with lessons and admonitions to the living, from the number of those who have recently died, and apt quotations from the Bible relative to human life and the hereafter.  The musical part of the services was rendered by the choir, consisting of Misses Piatt and Clark and Messrs. Greenleaf and Ely.  They sang “Rock of Ages,” “Sweet Bye and Bye,” and “Shall We Gather at the River.”
 The cortage that followed the remains to the last resting place in the Evergreen cemetery, was a long one, and in it were most of the prominent businessmen of Owego.  The floral tributes were very handsome and consisted of a pillow, crescent, scythe and sheaf of wheat.  Among the friends and relatives present from out of town were U. S. Deputy Marshal Chas. F. Hill, of Pottersville, Pa., a brother of the deceased; Mr. and Mrs. Neil of Nichols, and Mrs. Balsh, of Union.

 James Hill has for many years been among the most prominent of Owego’s business men, and the news of his death, last Tuesday noon, although not as unexpected to the public as that of his near neighbor, G. W. Sweet, the Friday previous, was yet unexpectedly sudden, even to his immediate family.  On the second Thursday previous he was attacked by severe chills, which were thought to threaten pneumonia.  This disease was averted by the skill of his physician.  Asthma and other troubles set in, but up to the hour of his death the physician and his family thought he was on the road to recovery.  He was for a long time a prominent contractor and builder, and also engaged in the manufacture of sashes, blinds and doors, and lumber.  He was an excellent pattern maker, and good at whatever he undertook to do.  He had represented his ward as trustee three times, and had also been assessor one term.  In april, 1839, he was married to Emily Madan, by whom he had four children, Mrs. A. H. Keeler, Mrs. Ernest de Valliere, Charles O. Hill, and Mrs. Ida Morton, all of whom survive him.  There are fourteen grandchildren and one great-grandchild, Master “Dot” Mabee, and only  one death in the whole family, beside that of Mr. Hill, has ever occurred, and that was a grandchild at birth.  Not withstanding his green old age (70 years), his mother, Mrs. Lucy Hill survives him, over 90 years.  From her to Master “Dot” extends an unbroken family of five generations.  His funeral will be held at the Presbyterian church Sunday at 5 o’clock p.m.  It is his request that none of his friends shall remain with uncovered heads at the grave, as the practice entails so much harm.

 Owego, N.Y., Jan. 8 – This week at Owego has not been devoid of interest, although nothing particularly sensational has developed.  On Monday afternoon the funeral services of the late George W. Sweet were conducted at his late residence on North avenue by Rev. W. H. King.  Rev. O. R. Howe, of the Congregational church was present.  The fact that the funeral was held at the house deterred many from attending who would otherwise have been only too glad to show their respect for the deceased by being present.  Still the house was crowded thoroughly, and the members of the fire department and Masons, to which organizations he had belonged, marched through the room where his remains lay in a heavy black broadcloth covered casket, and after viewing them filed down stairs and awaited the time to accompany the procession to the cemetery.  Dr. King’s remarks were very broad and liberal conveying comfort to the sorrowing companion, sister and brother, besides the other relatives and friends present.  At their close the bearers, Messrs. E. W. Muzzy, W. L. Hoskins, J. B. Stanborough, Frank Warner, William Smyth and N. A. Stevens carried the casket to the hearse.  The procession was a large one, showing in a measure the high respect and esteem in which the deceased was held by his townsmen who had known him all his life.

 Friends in this place were pained on Monday morning in receiving a telegram from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, informing them of the death of Mrs. Ella Fritcher Burr.  Deceased was the only daughter of William and Margaret Fritcher whose social home in Athens was the abode of cheerfulness and true Christian graces.  Their charitable hearts and ministrations of sympathy in the neighborhood endeared them to the affections of all, and when their work was done and they were called Home, their loss was sincerely mourned by the whole community.  Their deaths occurred within a year of each other, and Miss Ella, the orphan daughter so fully represented the characteristics of these true lives that she received all the wealth of affection hitherto bestowed upon them.  She was a lovely young lady with mind and heart full of generous impulses.  Her life developed into one of the most beautiful Christian characters that had its most salutary influence among the large circle of associates in the society in which she moved.  When she assumed the responsibilities of life and it became necessary for her to take up her residence in another place, she left a large number of true friends who have kept up and cherished the friendship of old as among the choicest treasures of life.  And there now comes the sad intelligence of her death that places a burden on their hearts too deep—too sacred for human expression.  To them the lasting remembrance of her life will be a memory of human excellence and an inspiration for the better life beyond.
 Deceased was a niece of Mrs. C. W. Clapp, of this place.  She died Sunday, January 23d, at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and was buried in that place Tuesday, January 25th.  She was about thirty-seven hears old at the time of her death, and leaves a husband, Mr. Isaac P. Burr, and one daughter, a little girl, about eight years old.

 The death of Mrs. John Thompson occurred suddenly at her home, on East Washington avenue, Thursday night, at the age of twenty-three years.  A son was born to her on Wednesday.  Mr. Thompson is an engineer on the D. L. & W road and will receive sincere sympathy of all in his deep bereavement.  The funeral will be held at the residence to-day.—Elmira Advertiser.
 The deceased was a daughter of Charles Aldrich, of Elmira, formerly of Owego, and the remains will be brought to Owego for interment.

 The death of little Jessie, only child of Mr. and Mrs. Dorr Park, Wednesday, the 2d, after a painful illness of diphtheria and scarlet fever of about a week’s duration, has left a shadow more extended in its rays, perhaps, than if years were added and her life lengthened to three score years and ten.  One could not refrain, while looking upon the beautiful casket containing the priceless treasure clothed for the grave and surrounded by sweet buds and flowers and trailing simlax, from mentally exclaiming, Darling Jessie, how thy innocent, childish prattle will be missed in thy home!  What an angel of brightness has been added to the Saviour’s kingdom in thy transit from earth to heaven!  May God comfort the afflicted parents, grandparents, and immediate friends.

 Dr. Edward Mills, one of the oldest and best beloved physicians in this county, died last Sunday night at his home in Ulster, after an illness of over two years.  The funeral, which was very largely attended, was held Wednesday afternoon at his late residence in Ulster.  The funeral of Mrs. Bowman, aged 90 years, occurred in Ulster the same day.

 Rev. L. A. Douglas, pastor of the Baptist church of this borough, died at Buffalo, N.Y., at twelve o’clock Tuesday night.  His disease was consumption.  He went to Buffalo about two months ago hoping to be cured.  He leaves a wife and a little child to mourn his loss.  He was well liked by his congregation and the community, and his death causes much regret among those who knew him.  Memorial services will be held in the church.

 Mrs. Hoary, a native of Ireland, who has resided on River street for many years, died on Tuesday at the age of 81 years.  Mrs. Hoary was always genial and pleasant, and acquired many friends during her long residence who will mourn her loss.  The funeral from the Catholic church on Thursday was largely attended.

 Mrs. P. J. Stone died at her late residence in the lower part of this borough, Monday evening.  She was taken with convulsions Saturday night, which was followed by a stroke of paralysis which ended her life as above stated.  Mrs. Stone was the sister of G. T. Eranbrack, and had resided in this place the greater part of her life.  Disease came upon her about two years ago, from which time to her death she has been a great sufferer.  The funeral occurred Tuesday, and was attended by her many warm friends.

 Clarence Merrill, a brother of Mrs. Ely Murray, of this place, died in the insane asylum at Topeka, Kan., a few days since.  Mr. Merrill was born in Athens and lived here until he was about twenty-five years old, when he emigrated to Solomon City, where he purchased a large tract of land, and by hard labor he had made it one of the finest farms in the great west.  He received a sun stroke last summer, which soon affected his reason so that his friends were obliged to place him in the asylum as above stated.  He leaves a wife and three children to whom the sympathy of all our people goes out in fullest measure.

 Sunday August 9th the (piece missing) Athens was startled with the announcement of the very very sudden death from apoplexy at three o’clock that morning, of Miss Martha Jane Long, eldest daughter of Alonzo and Mary Tyler Long, of Troy, Pa.  She expired at the old homestead of her grandfather, Francis Tyler, where she had spent the last twenty-six years of her life, kindly caring for him during his declining years, until his death.  It would seem her last day was apparently unusually joyous and happy.  Her cousin, Mrs. Julia Tyler Ewers, of Detroit, Mich., was visiting her.  Delighted with her arrival, on Tuesday, the 4th, she was enjoying her company greatly, they roamed together, Saturday evening returned and spent the night as usual, until two o’clock, when Miss Long arose and closed the window.  Meantime, after indulging in pleasant remarks, at three o’clock seemed to fall quickly asleep.  At once her heavy breathing alarmed Mrs. Ewers, who tried to awaken her.  She sprang up, calling Miss Litzelman, procuring a light they were shocked to find she was gone-—died just as she had often expressed the wish she might go.  Her health failed somewhat for the last year, but her friends apprehended no serious result.  Still, she seemed to have a presentiment her life was nearing its close.
 She was born at Troy, Pa., Dec. 4th, 1837; educated at Elmira College.  Energetic and studious, she was a proficient student in her studies.  In after years a woman of marked intelligence and literary tastes, a rapid writer and composer, an enthusiastic member of the W. C. T. U.  She was delegate at their Convention in Philadelphia, some years since.  Deeply interested in religious subjects, ever sought to identify herself with the Church, although reared in the Presbyterian faith she favored the Methodists.  At an early age joined and remained with them for a long period.  Finally, for the last five years was a communicant of the Episcopal church.
 Unpretentious in dress, while she cared little for society, was social, apt in repartee and always gave her friends a cordial and hearty welcome—passionately fond of driving and out-door exercise.  The charms and voices of nature were a delight to her eyes and music to her ears.  Nothing gave more pleasure than to fill her casket with good things and distribute them among the needy in her neighborhood.  Her oft repeated donations were a boon they will not soon forget-genuine tears were shed by them.
 Miss Addie Litzelman, of Burlington, Pa., a most estimable and worthy young lady, was her intimate friend and companion for twelve years, and they became devotedly attached to each other.  She feels her loss keenly.  Miss Long did not forget her in the disposal of her property.
 Funeral services were conducted by her pastor, Rev. Dr. Berghaus, at the house on Monday at 1:20 o’clock.  Although the day was one of intense heat, the place was filled with sympathizing friends who gathered around as she lay in her life-like repose in her casket, her countenance so remarkably expressive of triumph over death—seemed fairly beaming with happiness, peace and freedom.  Her transition was indeed beautiful, so comforting to those near and dear.  Her sister, Miss Fanny Long, and brother Frederick, the only remaining members of her family, have the heartfelt sympathy of a wide circle of friends in their sudden visitation.    Her remains were taken to Troy.  After another gathering at a second service held at her old home on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. they were tenderly laid to rest in the family plot.

 Robert E. Sheridan died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. D. E. Shannon, in Canton, at about 8 o’clock this morning aged 66 years.  He has been feeble for about a year and went to Canton about two months ago where he suffered a stroke and for a time his death was hourly expected.  But he rallied and although very feeble he has been rational most of the time but he could take but little nourishment and gradually grew weaker until the time of his death.  Mr. Sheridan was born in Ireland and came to this country when about 16 years old and he was married to Mary Doran in May 1862.  He was a moulder by trade and worked in the Blood & Co. Agricultural Works until he went to Canada and worked at his trade a short time after which he removed to Owego, N.Y.  He returned to Athens to live about 14 years ago and built the foundry on Elmira street which he conducted until about a year ago when failing health compelled him to give up all kinds of labor.  He was always a very energetic, active man and wanted to be doing something and after his feeble health compelled him to stop work his spirit chafed with the idea that he could no longer work.  It was partially on this account that he was persuaded to go to Canton to visit his daughter.  He thought that the change might recuperate his physical strength so that he could return to business again.  But it was evident all the time that this was a forlorn hope.  Mr. Sheridan was a man of sterling integrity and honor and was always highly respected by everyone.  He leaves a wife and two daughters, Mrs. D. E. Shannon, of Canton, and Miss Honora A. Sheridan, a teacher in New York city.  The arrangements for his funeral are not yet completed but he will be buried in Canton and his funeral will probably be Friday afternoon.

 Samuel S. Lockwood, one of Athens oldest citizens died at his residence on South Main st. This morning at 1 o’clock, from the infirmities incident upon old age.  He was 82 years old and his health and strength had been gradually failing for the last several years.  He was born in Ulster, February 28, 1823, and was married in 1854.  He came to Athens 24 years ago and previous to that time had always resided inUlster with the exception of four years he spent in the West.  He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Mary Walker and Mrs. Myra Seager of Ulster and one daughter, Mrs. A. J. Gould with whom he lived.  The funeral will be in charge of the Masonic order of which he was a member, and will be held at the house Friday morning at 9 o’clock.  The body will be taken to Ulster for interment.

 The sad intelligence was received in Athens last night of the death of Louis P. Hine, which occurred at Syracuse yesterday afternoon at 5 o’clock from consumption.  The deceased was 28 years of age and is survived by his wife.  The remains will reach Waverly on the D. L. & W. Train tomorrow at 12:30 o’clock and interment will be made at Tioga Point cemetery at 1:30 o’clock.  Mr. Hine was a native of Athens, his father, Harlow Hine, having owned what is known as the Peachblow cottage, Main st., during his residence here.  Louis left Athens about 12 years ago and went to Cortland, N.Y. to live with his mother.  When young he showed considerable aptitude as a reporter and decided to engage in newspaper work.  As a descriptive writer he evidenced great talent and rose rapidly in his profession.  At the time of his death he held a fine position on the Syracuse Journal.  Mrs. Joseph Hines of this place is an aunt.

 John J. Kelley, a well known and highly esteemed young man, died at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Kelley, Elmira St., yesterday noon.  He had suffered from a complication of diseases for the last year, but diabetes was the immediate cause of his death.  The funeral services will be held at the Chruch of the Holy Ghost Wednesday morning at 9 o’clock.  John Kelley was born in Athens 30 years ago and lived the greater part of his life here.  He graduated from the Athens High School in the class of 1886 with honors.  He was at one time an employee in the postoffice at this place, where his uniform courtesy and efficiency  made him many friends among the patrons of the office.  He was later a representative of the Swift Packing company of Chicago and still later was connected with the Union Bridge Co., resigning his position nearly a year ago on account of ill health.  Mr. Kelley was a young man of exemplary character.  His cheerfulness, even in his hour of suffering was unfailing—loving to his home relations and loyal to his friends’ he was held in high regard by all who knew him.  Besides his parents he leaves two brothers and three sisters.

 Chas. L. DeGroff died in a Philadelphia hospital Saturday night aged 42 years from the effects of an operation for appendicitis.  Two years ago last September he was operated on for the same trouble but was not cured and has been a constant sufferer ever since that time until he sought relief in another operation which resulted in his death three hours after.  The body will be brought to Athens for interment.  The funeral arrangements will be announced later.
 Chas. L. DeGroff was born in Athens 42 years ago and was the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Miner DeGroff of this place.  He was educated in the Athens public schools and after finishing school entered one of the dry goods stores and remained in Athens until he was 21 years of age, being in the employ of several local merchants.  He then went to Nebraska where he entered the dry goods business for himself.  He later returned to this state where he was married to Miss Sallie Fee of Wyalusing, daughter of the late Andrew Fee.  After the marriage they returned to Nebraska and to them were born four children who survive him, ranging in age 3 to 13 years.  About two months ago he came to Philadelphia for his health hoping to find some relief for his constant suffering.  Nothing could be done to relieve him but an operation which was done with the above result.  Mr. DeGroff was a brother of Mrs. O. L. Jordan and George DeGroff of this place and was a member of the Presbyterian church.

 Fred Gohl, one of the best known citizens of Athens, died at his home on Wednesday morning after a long illness.  Mr. Gohl was born at Saladaysburg, Lycoming county, Pa. On July 29, 1837, being the son of Jacob Gohl of that place.  His early years were spent on the farm, but about 1860 he went to Williamsport, where he engaged in business until the breaking out of the civil war.  He then enlisted in a cavalry regiment and served until 1865, when he was honorably discharged and returned to his home.  During the memorable retreat of Lee from Phillipsburg, Mr. Gohl was wounded and suffered the loss of one foot.  April 22, 1869, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary R. Wolcott, daughter of S. P. Wolcott, and came to Athens, where he purchased a half interest in the Johnson grocery business, the firm becoming Johnson & Wolcott.  The deceased leaves beside his wife, one daughter, Miss Euphemia Gohl, four brothers, John and William, of Saladaysburg and Christopher and J. T. Of Williamsport, also two sisters, Mrs. Lizzie Cohick of Saladaysburg and Mrs. Rose Thomas of Kansas, and a host of friends to mourn his death.  The funeral services were held at 2 o'clock Friday afternoon from the late home, Rev. H. H. Graves pastor of the Universalist church at Towanda officiating.

 Athens, Pa., Nov. 12—Charles E. Mills, who on Tuesday last was chosen by the voters of Bradford county to fill the important position of district attorney, was born at Sheshequin in 1876, and is now twenty-eight years old, with a record for wisdom and sagacity which might well be envied by many men of twice his age.  When a lad Mr. Mills attended the public schools of Athens, later going west and ultimately to California, where he entered the Leland Stanford Junior school.  After his course there he returned to the east and entered Cornell university, choosing the law course and graduating with high honors in the class of 1898.  After graduating the young man returned to Athens, where he read law in the office of I. N. Evans until admitted to the Bradford county bar.  Attorney Mills has served one term as secretary of the Bradford county Republican committee, and was always counted as one upon whom his party could depend in every hour of stress, and one whose councils were of especial value in matters of political importance.  Four years ago the recently elected district attorney was made a justice of the peace of this village, and during the succeeding years until appointed by Judge Fanning to fill the unexpired term of the late Fred Stevens as district attorney, filled the position with tact and skill winning the good opinion of all with whom he came in contact.  His recent election, while almost a foregone conclusion from the time his name was first mentioned for the place, is especially pleasing to his many friends here, who know him best, and, therefore, feel most certain of his ability to fill the position in a creditable and conscientious way.

 Russell B. White, a life long and highly respected citizen of Athens died at 6 o’clock last evening at his home on Elmira st., after an illness of four weeks.  He was first taken with grip but subsequently several complications set in and he gradually became worse until the end.  The funeral will be held from the house, 107 South Elmira st., at 2 o’clock Friday afternoon, Rev. W. A. Kelley, pastor of the Universalist church officiating; interment in Tioga Point cemetery.  Russell B. White was the son of Nathaniel and Delita White, pioneers in this vicinity, and was born in Greens Landing, July 30, 1829.  In 1873, he married Miss Sarah J. Smith, who survives him.  To them were born two sons, Elmer, who died in infancy and Charles E., who lives on Paine st.  He was a carpenter by trade and for forty-two years was a trusted and valued employee in the bridge works here.  He is also survived by a sister, Mrs. Cynthia Aldred, of  Spencer, N.Y.

 Athens, Pa., April 1—Hon. L. T. Hoyt, member of the legislature, has been accomplishing work during the present session of the legislature,  which has won him the attention of the prominent men of his party everywhere and the indorsement of his constituents.  Last week he introduced the Anti-Trust bill, a bill which being directly in line with President Roosevelt’s policy and is the first of its kind to be brought to the attention of the legislature.  He has also introduced a bill abolishing the office of county auditors and naming a controller instead, who will pass upon bills before they are paid, instead of after, as is the rule under the present law.  This afternoon it was learned that the appropriation bill giving $24,000 to the Robert Packer hospital for maintenance was upon the floor, and will now go to the governor.  This is the entire appropriation asked for by Mr. Hoyt, and is an increase of $9,000 over the former appropriation, an increase much needed at the present time.

 Monroeton, Pa., July 9.—A tragedy, sudden, unexpected, uncalled for, culminating in the death of two men and a woman, all of whom a week ago promised to live for many years, has stirred this place and the neighboring village of Franklindale as they have never been stirred before.  For days the people have neglected their business to talk of nothing but the killing of Rhode Moe, of this place, by Dr. Randolph Lyon, of Franklindale, and the suicide of the latter.  On Wednesday the excitement was still further increased when it became known that Mrs. Lyon had met death by her own hand.  The story from beginning to end is as interesting as it is tragic.  On Friday morning of last week Rhode Moe, a man of sixty-five, whose thirty years as a professional auctioneer, has made him one of the best known men in Bradford county, started from Monroeton for Franklin, seven miles away to conduct a sale on the farm of Alson Lantz.  Between Monroeton and Greenwood on the way he was overtaken by Dr. Lyon, who asked him to ride.  The two men drove on to the hotel at Greenwood where they spent the greater portion of the day drinking heavily.  Late in the afternoon Moe proceeded on toward Franklin and about the same time the doctor’s son, Watson, finding his father at the hotel in an almost helpless condition, drove him home.  When the doctor arose in the morning he discovered that $30 in bills which he had had in his pocket the day before was missing.  He at once suspicioned that Moe had taken the money and told his son he was going to see him and if Moe refused to give it back to him he should kill him.  Yound Lyon thought this to be only an idle threat, but tried to persuade his father not to leave home.
 THE MURDER OF MOE  -  However, the doctor hitched up his horse, and, putting a Winchester repeating rifle in the bottom of his buggy, drove to Greenwood.  He spent several hours at the hotel where he and Moe ahd been the day before, but drank little or nothing.  To several persons who came into the hotel during the morning he said that Moe had stolen $30 from him, and that if he did not return it on demand he intended to kill him.  He appeared to be highly excited, but as he was known as a quiet, peaceable man, little attention was paid to his threats.  About 1 o’clock he left Greenwood and started for home.  The house of Alson Lantz, where Moe was conducting the sale, lays between Greenwood and Franklindale, the doctor’s home.  When Lyon arrived to Lantz’s the sale was in progress, about 200 men being on the ground with Moe in the auctioneer’s box.  The doctor drove into the barnyard and turning his horse around, called Moe to him.  The latter walked to the side of the buggy and Lyon said:  “Rhode, I want you to give me back the $30 you stole from me yesterday.”  “Ran,” Moe replied, “I haven’t seen, haven’t got and don’t know anything about your $30.”  “I will give you just three minutes to return it.”  At this Moe turned to walk away and Lyon rising from the seat picked up his rifle.  “Clear the way,” he shouted, and the frightened spectators scattered in all directions.  Moe sprang back to the side of the buggy, and with his auctioneer’s stick shoved the muzzle of the rifle from his face several times, at the same time calling on the bystanders to interfere.  No one came to his assistance, and finally he turned and ran towards a tree a few rods away.  He had gone about 100 feet when Lyon, again raising his rifle to his shoulder, took deliberate aim and fired.  Moe threw up his hands, staggered feebly forward, exclaimed “Oh, my God!” and fell to the ground.  The bullet, passing through the back, had entered his heart and he was dead in an instant.
 Lyon’s horse, frightened by the explosion of the gun, dashed madly away in the direction of Franklindale, almost throwing the doctor from his buggy.  Twenty minutes later, white with foam, it reached home.  Lyon hitched the horse, and with his rifle under his arm started for the barn.  His wife, who was standing in the doorway of the house, noticed that her husband’s face was deadly pale and that he trembled like an aspen.  For the first time he clearly realized the awful consequences of his crime.  His wife asked him if he wouldn’t come in and get something to eat, but he replied, “No, I am through eating” and walked away.  Five minutes later the members of his family were startled by the report of the rifle, and ran to the barn.  They found the doctor lying on the floor dead, his brains slowly oozing from a bullet hole in his head.  He had forestalled the demands of the law by taking his own life.  The news of his crime and violet end fell like a thunderbolt upon all who knew him.  Honest and upright in all his dealings, generous to a fault, and ever ready to lend a helping hand to those in need; a man of scholarly tastes and wide learing; for forty years the acknowledged head of his profession in southeastern Bradford; slow to anger even when in his cups, those who heard it could not for the moment believe that he was a suicide and murderer.  He was almost three score and ten years of age, and was the father by a former wife of four sons, all of them men grown and leading members of  the community.  One of them, Watson says: “This awful affair seems to me like some terrible nightmare, I cannot bring myself to believe that my father, so kind and generous to all with whom he came in contact, has gone down to a murderer’s grave.  That for so trifling a cause he could have killed Mr. Moe convinces me beyond the peradventure of a doubt that he was insane at the time.”
 A coroner’s jury was impanelled on the afternoon of the murder and suicide and verdicts rendered in accordance with the facts just related.  Both men were buried on Tuesday, Dr. Lyon at Franklindale and Mr. Moe at Monroeton, under the auspices of the F. A. R. Of which he was a member.  Mrs. Lyon, a handsome woman of thirty-eight or forty, passionately devoted to her husband, was completely crushed by his death.  It is said, although the rumor lacks complete confirmation, that when her husband returned home on Friday evening, she herself took the roll of bills from his pocket to prevent him from resuming his drinking, and was thus in a measure responsible for the terrible double tragedy which followed.  Naturally of a nervous and sensitive temperment, grief and remorse combined, made her almost insane and she refused to sleep or eat.  On Wednesday morning her father, Nathan W. Dodge, came to the Lyon homestead and was closeted with his daughter for some time.  It is said that he severely censured her for the part she is alleged to have taken in the affair of Saturday.  Hot words are known to have passed between them, and by those in the adjoining room, Mrs. Lyon was heart to say: “Well, I will fix up a dose that will end it all, as far as I am concerned.”  Soon after her father left the house she was taken with violent spasms and her attendants were not long in discovering that she had taken enough strychnine to kill a dozen men.  Dr. Oscar Rockwell, of Monroeton, was hastily summoned, but before he could reach Franklindale, Mrs. Lyon, who from the first had suffered the most terrible agony, was dead.  To the dead woman’s uncle as coroner, fell the melancholy task of holding an inquest over her remains.  The jury decided that Mrs. Lyon had died from the effects of poison administered by her own hands.
 The Telegram representative, driving out from this place past the spot where Moe was murdered, reached the Lyon homestead soon after the death of Mrs. Lyon.  The house, a fine old country residence stands in the center of a splendid farm of 300 acres and just back of a meadow, which was being mowed when the doctor died.  No work has been done since—the grass lies unraked and the mower still stands in the center of the half-mowed field.  About the house was gathered half a hundred men and women, neighbors, who discussed in low tones the unexpected sequel to the triple tragedy.  The furnishing of the house everywhere bespoke the culture and refinement of its occupants.  On the bier in the parlor, which but a few short hours before had supported the remains of the husband, lay the body of the wife.  The face was that of a once strikingly handsome woman, and it was handsome yet, notwithstanding the proof it bore of the cruel manner in which the poison had done its fatal work.  On the bosom of the dead rested a wreath of flowers, hastily plaited by a sister of Mrs. Lyon, and inside of which half hidden by leaves of oak and ivy, was a card bearing this inscription:  ESTELLA DODGE LYON, WIFE OF DR. RANDOLPH LYON – Died suddenly July 6, 1887—“In death they are not divided.”
 On the desk in the doctor’s office in another part of the house lay the medicine case in which Mrs. Lyon had found the poison with which she ended her life.  It was still open and the half empty bottle, labeled “strychnine,” had not yet been returned to its place among its fellows.  Among those present nothing but good was spoken of the dead.  Each had their story to tell of some little act of kindness performed by the doctor or his wife, and only horrified amazement and surprise were expressed at the unhappy end to which they had come.  William Spaulding, for thirty years Dr. Lyon’s nearest neighbor and the dead man’s life-long friend, voiced the general sentiment when he said: “That Dr. Lyon killed Rhode Moe, that he took his own life, and that Stella Lyon, who ten days ago was one of the most contented and happy women living, lies in that room in yonder a corpse—why it is the most terrible and the most surprising thing that has happened here in fifty years; so terrible and so surprising that as yet we can scarcely realize that it is true.”  The funeral of Mrs. Lyon took place yesterday afternoon and the little Methodist church at Franklindale was crowded to its utmost capacity by those who had come to pay the last tribute of respect to a friend and neighbor.  A long array of carriages followed the remains to their last resting-place and as the gray haired preacher in simple yet moving words consigned them to earth, women, and strong men as well, shed tears.
 In the cozy cottage on the outskirts of Monroeton, the TELEGRAM representative found Mrs. Moe and her pretty daughter and was the first to tell them of the suicide of Mrs. Lyon.  Mrs. Moe started when she heard the news and then, after a moment of silence, said: “I think she was the cause of my husband’s death, but if she suffered one-half what I am suffering I can forgive her.  I am afraid,” she went on, “that I shall never recover from this fearful blow.  The first I knew of what had happened was their bringing my husband’s dead body to the door.  For the moment I thought it would drive me mad,” and overpowered by her feelings she buried her face in her hands.  With gray hair, bend figure and wrinkled face, she looked the embodiment of sorrow and utter despair.  “Only those who have been afflicted in the same way can realize what I have lost, a faithful and affectionate husband and my children a kind and indulgent father.  He had but one fault and for that he answered with his life.  And only the day before he was murdered—yes, murdered, for if there ever was a cold-blooded, willful and deliberate murder, the killing of my husband was such—he told a friend that he could see that his drinking was killing me and said that he intended to stop it for once and all.  He never harmed anyone and to think that he had to go in that way, the very thought is maddening.  Deny for me in the strongest possible way the insinuation that he took that money from Dr. Lyon.  Only this morning Mrs. Lyon sent me word that she was the one that took it and begging me to forgive her.”  Mrs. James Cummings, a married daughter of Mrs. Moe, living in Towanda, said that the shock might cause her mother, whose health at best was very feeble, to lose her mind.  “Dr. Lyon and his wife,” she said, “have paid the penalty of their wrongdoing, but that does not remove the great sorrow they brought to our door.”
 Mr. Moe was born in Genoa, Cayuga county, N.Y., and came from a wealthy and aristocratic family.  He was for a number of years engaged in business at Jacksonville, in Tompkins county, where his two sons by his first wife, John and Frank Moe, now of Ithaca, were born.  The former of these two boys was, some years ago, one of the best known professional ball players in the country.  In 1857, Mr. Moe moved to Monroeton and became an auctioneer.  Since that time there have been but few public sales held in Bradford county, that were not enlivened by his humor and every-ready wit, and his slim erect figure, gray hair and pleasant face were a familiar sight to every man, woman and child within a radius of fifty miles of Monroeton.  He was somewhat addicted to drink, but when the Murphy movement swept over the country some years ago he signed the pledge, took the platform and for a time was an active and effective worker in the cause of temperance.  Later, however, the temptation proved too strong, as his death shows.  He did gallant service during the war as a volunteer soldier, and for many years has been one of the most enthusiastic leaders of the G.A.R. movement in this county.  He was active in politics and on several occasions was a candidate for important office.  He married the wife who survives him in Monroeton and raised a family of four children, all of whom are grown and three of whom are married.  His earnings were large, but he was always free and openhanded, and his death leaves his family practically destitute.  

Tri-Counties Genealogy & History  
This page added to the site on 23 December, 2000