The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery

Tri County Clippings- Page One Hundred Seventy

From Clippings of Louise PALMER Harris of Roseville


The final examinations for the senior class are being held at the high school this week. Everyone is anxiously awaiting the result.

Last Friday afternoon the junior class held forth at the high school, and a most enjoyable time was had. There was a very large attendance and every one spoke highly of the delightful manner in which they were entertained. The room was very tastily decorated with the colors of the class, red and white, and flags, potted plants, cut flowers, etc., changed the room into a veritable bower of beauty. The program was gotten up neatly in red and white and was rendered as follows: Recitation, Anna V. Bailey; solo, Mildred J. Smith; reading, Floyd P. Anthony; parody, Molly P. Browne; solo, Henry T. F. Caterer; dialogue, the musical director; organ solo, Anna V. Bailey; junior bulletin, Herbert C. McClarren, editor, Anna M. Lewis, assistant; duet, Mrs. W. P. Jenkins and Mildred J Smith; acting charade, dialogue, "How She Made Him Propose."

DALTON – May 1.—The members of the senior class of the high school passed their final examinations successfully, and are now preparing for their commencement exercises, which are to be held in the Methodist church Thursday evening, May 7, beginning at 8 o’clock. The admission is twenty-five cents. An excellent musical programme is to be given in addition to the graduating exercises. The following talented musicians from Scranton have been secured for the evening: Prof. H. E. W. Jones, Mrs. Via Jones Hitchcock, Mrs. Edith Richards Heckel. They are to be assisted by Mrs. W. P. Jenkins, the wellknown musician. Misses Mildred Josephine Smith, Anna Vangelia Bailey, and Molly Pitcher Brown, accomplished musicians from the high school, are to take part on the programe. It can be safely said that the commencement exercises will be the event of the season in Dalton. Don’t miss the opportunity of attending. The graduates are Misses Bertha Patterson, Maude Odell, Kate Reeder, Jessie Fisk and Messrs. Harry Fisk, Philip Colom and Howard Frances.

COMMENCEMENT AT DALTON – The commencement exercises of the graduating class of the Dalton High school were held in the Methodist Episcopal church, Wednesday evening, May 10, and were pronounced by all present the best ever held in Dalton.

The church was most beautifully and tastefully decorated with the class colors, red and white, in bunting and flowers. Many beautiful flags, ferns and palms were also used. The citizens of the town vied with each other in helping to furnish all that was needed to add to the attractiveness of the room.

The graduates, Misses Anna Maria Brutzman and Harriet Mae Ketcham, and Messrs. Robert Miles Northup, Charles Herbert Smith, William Joseph Santee, Rollin Landis Charles and Charles Henry von Storch were ushered to their places on the platform by Messrs. Harry Finn, Albert Smith, Floyd Finn and George Smith, during the time of the playing of a piano duet by Misses Hillis and Santee.

Following the invocation by Rev. P. E. Weithaas, the second honor, William J. Santee, gave a strong and well-written "Plea for Political Honesty." Milton Charles next played a piano solo, entitled "Impromptu Polka," by Wollenhaupt, which was most heartily encored.

The next oration was by Charles H. Smith, "Success Means Sacrifice," ad Miss Mildred Smith sang "O Tell Us, Merry Birds" in her usual pleasing manner. The "Class History," given by Miss Anna Brutzman, was filled with many amusing events. A piano solo, "Tarantella," by Bassford, was rendered by Miss Adaline Frances. Rollin Charles oration was entitled "The Benefits of an Education. A male quartette, "Soldier’s Farewell," was very well rendered by Messrs. Finn, Purdy, Smith and Santee and was encored, after which they sang "The Tack," much to the amusement of all present.

The last oration was given by the first honor graduate, Robert Northup, and entitled "The End Is Not Yet." Miss Lena Phillips rendered Schubert’s "Impromptu." The "Class Prophecy," by Miss Harriet Ketcham, was read from yards of paper and produced miles of smiles. A chorus, entitled "Morning Invitation," was charmingly rendered by a group of High school pupils. Mr. Ball, secretary of the board presented the diplomas. (Handwritten date 1899)

GRADUATING CLASS OF DALTON HIGH SCHOOL -- The entertainment given in the Baptist church last Friday evening for the benefit of the graduating class of the Dalton high school was a grand success. A very interesting programme, consisting of singing, recitations, and banjo selections was rendered. Professor George B. Bible was present and delivered an address on "The Progress of the Nineteenth Century," which was interspersed with humorous stories that made it not only instructive, but highly entertaining. The exercises were attentively listened to by a large audience.

DALTON HIGH SCHOOL -- Following are the names and residences of the out-of-town pupils in the Dalton school: Harold Bunnell of Vosburg, Pa.; Janet and Bertha Paterson, LaPlume; Mamie Capwell, Etta Ross, Maud Capwell, Alice and Helen Wagner, Neil Chambers, West Abington; Clyde Nafus, Mary Greene, Josie and Harry Fiske, Benton; Martha Swartwood, Falls; Harry Northup, Glenburn; Fred Morrow, Clark’s Summit; Teddy Von Storch, Chinchilla; Margaret Babson, Brooklyn; Lizzie Pruner, Lake Winola, and Lawrence Smith, North Abington. This speaks well for the reputation of our school under the principalship of Prof. C. B. Hanyen.

ROSEVILLE SCHOOL NOTES – The spelling contest has closed. The winners were Misses Mae Hall, Grace Smith, Nellie Adams, Grace Hall, Nellie Rose and Susie Rose. Each winner received a copy of Webster’s dictionary.

A society has been organized by the intermediate and primary grades called the B.T.Z. The following officers were elected: President, Delos Nye; Vice-President, Frankie Perry; Secretary, Mabel Stout; Treasurer, Blanche Wilson.

Honor Roll: Jennie Wilcox, Rowena Avery, Willard Canedy, Mae Hall, Halsey Benson, Mary Wilson, Grace Smith, Will Avery, Nellie Adams, George Hall, Grace Hall, Susie Rose, Lena Vedder, Nellie Rose, Mark Avery, John Benson, Flora Sherman, Delos Nye, Frankie Perry, Ida Gee, L. G. Teneyck, John Teneycj, Charlie Rose, Ruth Blood.

REPORT OF ROSEVILLE SCHOOL – Exempt from all examinations: Grace Smith, Ruth Blood, Willard Canedy, Mae Hall, Jennie Wilcox, Will Avery. Exempt from all but one: Rowena Avery, Bert S. Benson, Mary Wilson, Nellie Adams, Halsey Benson.

Honor Roll: Ruth Blood, Rowena Avery, Mae Hall, Nellie Adams, Mary Wilson, Grace Hall, Grace Smith, Flora Sherman, L. G. Teneyck, John Teneyck, Jennie Wilcox, Will Avery, Mark Avery, John Benson, Rolland Garrison, Susie Rose, Grace Gott, Lena Veddeer, Delos Nye, Eddie Teneyck, Harry Kelley.

Our school board have, we think, wisely selected the following corps of teachers for the ensuing term: C. B. Hamyon, of Rutland, Pa., principal; Miss Lena Northrup of Glenburn, who recently graduated with high honors at the East Stroudsburg State Normal School, assistant; Miss Polly Relph of Dalton, primary department and Miss Ethel Carr of Factoryville intermediate.

SCHOOL OPENS – School opened last Monday with four new teachers. Professor Hanyen, who is well known in the county, is our principal. Miss Nellie Hillis of Montrose, a graduate of Mansfield State Normal School is intermediate teacher. Miss Edith Santee has charge of the primary department, with Miss Ralph, formerly of Waverly as her assistant.

MANSFIELD ALUMNI IN COLLEGE – Mansfield Normal school is represented by recent graduates in some of the leading colleges of the country as follows:

At Lafayette, Easton, Pa.—Frank Hartley and E. M. Elliott, the latter a son of O. V. Elliott, this boro.

At Union, Schenectady, N. Y. – Dan Wood, this boro

At Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, Mich. – Willis Elliott

At Dickinson, Carlisle, Pa. – Harry Angle

At Oberlin, Oberlin, Ohio – Jessie G. Elliott

At Bucknell, Lewisburg, Pa. – Helen Thomas


Morning session was opened at 9 a.m. by singing; devotional exercises by Prof. D. C. Thomas, after which the following officers were elected: President: F. C. Hanyen; Secretary, Kate Horton.

"Arithmetic" by E. A. Gilbert.

"Influence of Surroundings" by Miss Fannie Watson. There are many silent teachers who have greater power than we think. The school government depends largely on the neatness and order of the schoolroom. The child’s whole life depends on the surroundings of his childhood.


"Written Recitations," by Colie Hanyen. Written exercises enable the teacher to find out what pupils are doing individually, teaches pupils to put their thoughts in correct form on paper, and aid in forming habits of neatness. Prof, Cass said use them as an economy of time.

Music by F. C. Hanyen.

The papers were all ably discussed by Professors Thomas and Cass, F. C. Hanyen and others.

Resolved, That we, as teachers of Roseville and Rutland, extend our thanks to Professors Cass and Thomas for their assistance and the instruction they have given us.

Adjournment to 1:30 p.m.

Afternoon session was opened by singing followed by a very interesting talk on Writing by A. H. Knapp. Writing should be taught as an exercise. Have pupils copy correct forms until old enough to understand the principles, then begin with the simplest letters and soon to the more difficult. Copy slips are better than the copy at the top of the page.


"Orthography," Kate Horton. Pupils should not only be taught the spelling of words, but the definitions—they go hand in hand. Several methods, used successfully, were given by the teacher; after which the subject was discussed, and a class drill in Fractions was given by G. W. Moxcey; principal point made was getting fractions to a common denominator.

"Reproduction Exercises," by Miss Flora Horton—many excellent suggestions given for making them beneficial to pupils.

Paper on "Primary Reading," by M. A. Gilpin. The writer presented the subject in a very clear manner and was discussed freely.

A vote was passed expressing thanks to the patrons of the schools, for the interest shown, and for the cordiality extended to the teachers.

Closing hymn; Adjournment

KATE HORTON, SEC’Y - Rutland, Pa., Feb. 23, 1888

HANYEN – Mr. C. B. Hanyen, of Rutland, has closed his school oh Mill Creek and resumed his studies at the Normal.


HANYEN/PALMER – Wednesday at high noon, the marriage of Jennie Blanche Hanyen and Lewis M. Palmer took place at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. B. Hanyen, in Rutland, Pa. The ceremony was performed in the presence of the immediate families of the contracting parties by the Rev. Francis M. Smith, pastor of the M. E. church, the ring service being used. After the usual congratulations, a wedding breakfast was served, following which the happy couple left, mid showers rice, for an extended trip over the New York Central to Albany, thence by day boat to New York and New England points of interest. The bride and groom are popular young people of Rutland. The former, a graduate of the Mansfield State Normal school, is a sister of Miss M. Louise Hanyen of school No. 4, and the latter is a brother of Mrs. W. O. Wells of West Clinton street, this city, and junior member of the firm of G. W. Palmer & Co., representatives of the Westinghouse company of Schenectady, N.Y. A host of friends unite in wishing them much happiness.

HANYEN – Fred C. Hanyen and family of Scranton, C. B. Hanyen, Jr., of Dalton, Pa., and Miss Louise Hanyen, of Elmira, N. Y. were at their home in Roseville to attend the wedding of their sister Blanch, which occurred Sept. 23d.

PALMER—HANYEN – L. M. Palmer, C. B. Hanyen, Jr., Louise and Blanche Hanyen went to Elmira to attend the Normal picnic held in Grove Park Thursday afternoon, August 20th.

PALMER/HANYEN – The home of Mr. and Mrs. C. B. Hanyen, of Rutland, Pa., was the scene of a pretty autumn home wedding on Wednesday, Sept. 23, 1903, when their daughter, J. Blanche, was made the wife of Mr. Lewis M. Palmer. Promptly at 12 o’clock the bridal party unattended entered the parlor where they were met by the Rev. Francis M. Smith, pastor of the Methodist church, who performed the ceremony, using the impressive full ring service.

The couple stood under a beautiful arch which was banked by ferns and potted plants; and after the usual congratulations the company sat down to breakfast in the dining room which had been decorated with cut flowers and blue daisies. The bride was attired in ivory silk and carried a bouquet of white chrysanthemums. At 2 o’clock the bride and groom left amid a shower of rice for a trip in northern New York after which they will sail from Albany down the Hudson to New York City. They will also visit Philadelphia, Scranton and other points of interest and will be at home in their newly furnished house in Rutland after October 15th. They were the recipients of many useful and beautiful gifts.

KENDALL/GRIFFIN – The peals of joyful wedding bells chimed forth in their sweetest tones on Thanksgiving eve for Miss Bessie Kendall, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Kendall, and Mr. Chapwell H. Griffin, of North Scranton, when there was solemnized the ceremony which made complete their happy union in the bonds of matrimony.

When there were heard the joyful notes of Mendelssohn’s wedding march, as played by Miss Annie Decker, the bridal procession entered the parlor. The maid-of-honor, Miss Alice Kendall, the bride’s sister, came first. The bridesmaids, Misses Bessie Hoffman and Fannie Kennedy of Scranton, followed, ad last came the bride, accompanied by her father, Mr. C. F. Kendall. The groom and his best man, Mr. Alvin Decker, of North Scranton, were in waiting beneath the floral bell in the parlor, and when the decoration was reached Mr. Kendall gave over his daughter to the husband-elect. In the presence of the near friends of the couple, the officiating clergyman, Rev. Frank W. Young, pastor of the M. E. Church, of Chinchilla, completed the nuptials.

The bride was robed in a handsome bridal costume of white organdie over pink silk. She carried a pretty bouquet of white chrysanthemums. The maid-of-honor and the bridesmaids wore exquisite gowns of white organdie over yellow silk.

Among the guests from out-of-town were: Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Strong, Mrs. Carl Crebbs of Wilkes-Barre; Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Dill of Ashley; Mrs. Kennedy and daughter Gertrude, Dr. and Mrs. J. L. Jenkins, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Cobb, Miss Martha Schimpff, Mr. and Mrs. Frank H. Young, Messrs. Charles Hopewell, Charles Constantine of Scranton; Mr. and Mrs. Edward Kendall of Altoona, Pa., and Mrs. Frank W. Young, of Clark’s Summit.

PARSONS/VOORHEES – At Union City, Pa., the 20th inst. Took place a very pretty wedding in which the most interested parties were Dr. Sherman Voorhees, of Daggett’s Mills, a Mansfield S.N.S. student of ’88, and Miss Lillian Parsons, one of the pretty Normal girls of the same year. The bridesmaid, also, Miss Alice Cruttenden, of Wellsboro, is well known in Mansfield circles. Miss Pearl Voorhees class of ’93, was among the guests. Dr. and Mrs. Voorhees are now taking a somewhat extended trip through the eastern states, but will soon return to the home awaiting them at Daggett’s Mills, where Dr. Voorhees has succeeded to the practice of his father, the late well-known Dr. Chas. Voorhees.

ROSEVILLE RIPPLES – Roseville, July 12, 1892

P. H. Murphy, of Corning, N.Y., was in town Thursday.

W. C. Miller, of Mansfield, had business in town Saturday.

It is reported that one of our Stout young men was married recently.

Mrs. Watrous gave a lecture on "Burmah," last Wednesday at the Baptist church.

Dr. O. S. Nye and family and Dr. Jno. Nye, are visiting relatives in New York.

Prof. Tucker gave an entertainment at the tannery last Thursday evening.

W. W. Kelley and family, of Troy, Pa., visited at the home of C. W. Kelley last Sunday.

Mr. George Pierce was quite badly cut on the wrist while at work on Mr. Frost’s barn.

Mr. Arnot Rose of Troy, Pa., visited his family in this boro last Saturday and Sunday.

The new barn of Selah Frost’s was raised last Friday afternoon.

The aged mother of Emmet Baker, died recently at her home in Troy, Pa.

Mrs. Palmer, of Austinville has been visiting at the home of her daughter, Mrs. H. L. Blood.

Frank Crapser, of Austinville, came over on his newly purchased bicycle last Sunday.

There was a picnic held on Pumpkin Hill last Tuesday by the school, it being the last day.

Mrs. J. D. Vedder is quite ill at her home in this place. Her daughter Mrs. Wilson, of Knoxville, Pa., is with her.

A sewing bee was held at the home of Mrs. Welby Lawrence, last Thursday afternoon. Many ladies from here attended.

Mr. Chas. Dix and Miss Doris Canedy of this place, were united in marriage at the State Line hotel, Monday, July 4, 1892, by Rev. DeWitt Myers. Their many friends here wish them success.

ROSEVILLE RIPPLES – Roseville, May 2

Farmers are busy with their spring work.

Mr. Frank Cooley and mother, of Mansfield, spent Sunday here.

John Benson has bought out the store of C. B. Hanyen. Mr. McClellan is working for him.

Jerome Benson is quite low with pneumonia. His friends hope for a speedy recovery.

Charles Hubbard is suffering from a spinal difficulty which confines him to the house.

Dr. John Nye, recently graduated from medical college in the west, has located with his brother in this place.

The time for holding the singing school has been changed to Saturday night; the school closes some time in June.

Mr. W. W. Kelley’s wife and son, of Troy, Pa., formerly of this place, spent Sunday at the home of C. W. Kelley.

Rev. Mr. Krowl has moved to this place, and occupies the Edgar Wilson house. He preaches at the Lawrence Corners Baptist church.

Nearly all the teachers for the township schools have been selected and some have commenced their terms. Among them are Francis Schrader, of Mansfield, Pumpkin Hill school, Kate Horton of Daggetts Mills, Horton school; Mrs. Gustin, of Farmington, Bartlett Hill. The wages were fixed at fourteen dollars per month and "board around."

ROSEVILLE RIPPLES – Measles are raging in this vicinity.

Rev. Mr. Hogan has resigned his pastorate of the M. E. Church.

School is progressing nicely under the management of Miss Schrader.

Mrs. John Ingerick died last Saturday afternoon at the home of her daughter, Mrs. C. E. Kennedy, in this place. Mrs. Ingerick has been a great sufferer caused by a cancer in the breast. She had been a resident of the town for a number of years and was highly respected by all who knew her.

The wind and rain storm which visited this place Friday was the hardest known here for years. A great many fences and chimneys were blown down; aside from this no particular damage was done.

Mrs. Hillier has formed a large class in landscape painting in this place. She also gives lessons in German and music.

George Knapp had the misfortune to run a thorn in his knee while out hunting, which resulted in a very bad sore. He is able to be about by the use of crutches.

A very good show was given at the schoolhouse last Friday and Saturday nights by "Sig. Dealmo" and family. They are at present boarding at Hotel Avery.

A donation and lecture will be given at the Baptist Church at Bailey Creek next Wednesday evening. We understand Mr.Hogan is to lecture on "What I saw in New York."

Mrs. Warren Kelly and son have been visiting friends and relatives in Mansfield for the past week.

Mr. J. H. Westbrook, of Tioga, visited at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Geo. Strait, in this village a few days last week.

Mrs. Anna Gillett has been spending the past week at Wellsboro.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hanyen have returned from their visit to Scranton, Pa.

Mr. Lew Gillett is working in Chatham with Mr. L. D. Pierce.

A few exciting scenes have been enacted in town lately, of which we will speak some time in the future.

Mr. C. B. Hanyon, Mrs. Rollin Charles and Mrs. Charles Smith witnessed the Cornell-University of Pennsylvania game in Philadelphia Thursday.


Webb Sherman and family, of Elmira, N.Y. are visiting in town. Since they have been here they received word that their house at Elmira had been destroyed by fire. They lost everything with no insurance.

Mrs. W. H. Whittey and son Willie, of Elmira, N.Y. are visiting at the home of J. T. Stout in this place.

Mrs. Lloyd Vedder has been quite ill at her home in this place. She is reported better now.

H. L. Blood left Friday for Denver, Col.

W. H. McClelland intends moving to Mansfield in September.

Mr. J. H. Westbrook, of Tioga, spent Sunday with his daughter, Mrs. G. L. Strait.

F. C. Avery, of Wellsburg, N. Y. was in town one day last week.

W. C. Miller, of Mansfield, was in town last Thursday on business.

A sociable is to be held at the Rutland Hill church Wednesday evening of this week.

The sidewalks here are in a terrible condition. Perhaps after some one gets hurt on them and sues for damages, the council will awake to a sense of their duty, and compel property owners to repair them.


Two more graduates of Mansfield Normal School were united in matrimony last Thursday—Mr. William Cameron Marvin, class ’88, of Covington, and Miss Ina May Reese, class of ’89, of Round Top. The ceremony was performed at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Reese, by Rev. Mr. Jones, of Covington. The company numbered forty, and embraced a number from Wellsboro, Mansfield, Covington and Blossburg. Miss Reese has been a member of the faculty of the Harford Soldiers Orphans School since her graduation, and is highly esteemed by all who know her. Mr. Marvin has been the principal of the Lawndale School in Philadelphia for two years and has just been engaged for the coming school year at a handsome advance in salary.

The newly married couple took the train at Wellsboro Thursday afternoon for the World’s Fair. The bride received many beautiful and costly presents.


At No. 254 Franklin avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, the home of the bride, Miss Adelaide Zangerle and Morton L. Dartt (Normal class ’90), formerly of Mansfield, were united in holy matrimony at 1 o’clock, Monday, August 28, 1893. The ceremony was performed by Dr. E. O. Buxton, of the Franklin M. E. Church, of that city. Directly after the ceremony the bridal pair left for Pittsburgh, at which place they remained until September 1, when they proceeded to the Soldiers’ Orphans’ school at Uniontown, Fayette county, Pa., where Prof. Dartt presides as principal. Miss Zangerle has been for some time a teacher in the public schools of Cleveland, and her resignation was reluctantly accepted. The presents received were numerous and valuable, and will add to the beauty of their neat cottage at the S. O. S.


William T. Watson and Miss Anna Edwards, of Dodge City, Kan., were united in marriage at the home of the bride’s brother, Benj. Edwards in Charleston, at 4 o’clock last Thursday afternoon by the Rev. Dr. Shaw, of Wellsboro. The bride is favorably known here being a sister of Mrs. Jennie Welch, and a graduate of our Normal school.

The bridegroom was informed by telegraph the day following his marriage that he had been nominated by the Republicans for Clerk of the District Court. Mr. and Mrs. Watson will leave for their western home as soon as the latter, who has been very ill for a number of weeks, is able to undertake the journey.


Friday of this week T. Addison Fessler and Miss J. Helen, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Lawrence, of this boro, are to be united in marriage at the home of the bride’s parents. Mr. Fessler, is the proprietor of a prosperous drug business in a thriving Iowa town, and is to be congratulated on the success which has crowned his suit for the heart and hand of one of Mansfield’s fairest daughters.

HANYEN - Prof. C. B. Hanyen and George Smith left yesterday to spend the Thanksgiving season seeing the sights of the great metropolis.

HANYEN -- Prof. C. B. Hanyen, Jr., and Floyd S. Finn, attended Sousa’s concert in Scranton Monday night.

JOHNSON—LENT – Miss Lara Johnson was united in marriage at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. T. Johnson, in the boro yesterday afternoon with Willard G. Lent, of Horatio, Pa. Miss Johnson is one of Mansfield’s most highly esteemed young women and the best wishes of a large circle of acquaintances will go with her to her new home.

LENT, MRS. DR. W. G. – (nee Lura Johnson), died this morning at her home in Horatio, Pa., and her remains will be brought to this boro for burial. The funeral will be held Friday morning at 10 o’clock. Mrs. Lent had been married but a year. She leaves beside her husband an infant son. Her untimely demise is sincerely regretted by numerous friends here and in Charleston, where the family formerly resided.

ROCKWELL—EASTGATE – The wedding of Rev. M. E. Rockwell, formerly of Canton, now pastor of the M. E. church at Rutland, Pa. And Miss Lillian Eastgate, took place at the home of the bride’s parents, in Grover, Pa., Wednesday, April 19th, 1893. Both have many friends in Troy who wish them much joy and happiness in their wedded life.

WHO IS TO BLAME! – The Trustees of the Rutland M. E. Church or the Rev. Mr. Hogan

Roseville, Pa., Dec. 14,--As there seems to be a misunderstanding regarding the action of the trustees of the M. E. Church, in the removal of Mr. Hogan as pastor, we deem it proper to place before the people the facts in the case, as near as we have been able to find them out. At the General Conference held at Cortland, N. Y., last fall, it was reported that this charge wanted no minister, until the new church was completed; so it was left with the Presiding Elder to fill the appointment when the church was ready. Shortly after Conference a young man presented himself to Mr. Wilbur, P. E., at Elmira and asked for an appointment bringing with him an excellent recommendation, signed with the name of the Presiding Elder of the Buffalo charge, but which was afterward found to have been written by someone else. Mr. Wilbur told him about this charge, and said he might come and stay as long as the people wanted him; so he came. It took the people but a short time to make up their minds that Mr. Hogan was not the man they wanted. The same report came from all three of the churches on the charge, so it was decided to have him removed. The trustees of the Roseville church wrote to Mr. Wilbur, telling him the sentiments of the people, and asking that he might be removed. Quarterly Conference being so close at hand, the Presiding Elder thought it would be well for him to remain until that time, so he did. During the time, he got up a petition to remain, and got a few of the members to sign it, but it did no good. He seemed anxious to stay here, so he next applied for the Burton hill school, without a certificate, and it was given him to teach four months. He began his term Institute week. At the same time he opened revival services on Rutland hill, holding meetings every evening but Saturday. His school soon dwindled out and he was asked to quit; likewise the church services were closed. Every scheme seemed to "come to a head" and as a last resort he began denouncing some of church members as frauds. To the trustees of the Roseville church he gave his opinion as their being the "biggest hypocrites this side of hell," and other remarks of a like nature. Knowing that he would not be allowed to stay he handed in his resignation at the Quarterly Conference, which was readily accepted. We have merely given the facts in the case, and leave it to our readers to decide on the matter for themselves. We do not wish to express our opinion regarding it publicly. AN OUTSIDER

LONGWELL/CASS – This Afternoon at 1 o’clock Mr. Charles Longwell, an exemplary young man of Rutland, is to be united in marriage with Miss Mina Cass, an esteemed young lady of this boro. The knot is to be tied at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. M. A. Cass, in the presence of the immediate families of the contracting parties. The happy couple are to leave on the 4:10 train for a short bridal tour. They will reside upon a farm in Rutland (Handwritten date 1893)

LEONARD-WOOD – S. S. Leonard, formerly one of the proprietors of the Mansfield Business College, was married at the Presbyterian church in Troy on the evening of Dec. 15th to Miss Clara M. Wood, an estimable lady of Troy, late of Wells, Pa. Mr. Leonard has had for some time a position with the Champion Lumber Company at Orvisburg, Miss., and leaves for there this week with his bride. Mrs. Leonard is a relative of Mrs. Amy Taylor, of Canoe Camp.

SMITH, FRANK – The Troy Register of last week says: "Frank Smith, who lived on a farm known as the John Gustin farm, in Columbia, while drawing hay to Columbia X Roads Tuesday forenoon, and crossing the railroad near Griff Grinnell’s the load stuck on the track, and hearing the local freight from the north approaching, he left his team with the load still on the track and ran towards the train signaling it to stop. The engineer saw him and called for brakes. All hands responded and succeeded in nearly stopping the train, but it struck the back of the load, breaking the sleds and tossing the hay around. The horses broke loose and ran on up the hill twenty or thirty rods. Mr. Smith came back to the hay and helped Mr. Grinnel to move some of the bales, then Ed Knapp, of Wells came along and Mr. Smith got in and rode with him until he caught his team and turned them around and started back to Mr. Grinnell’s and this side of the railroad crossing Carson McCrain who was passing at that moment saw Mr. Smith fall to the ground and was at his side in a few seconds. Mr. Smith was dead without a struggle. He was taken to Mr. Grinnell’s house and a physician sent for who pronounced it a case of complete applexin from a rupture of a blood vessel in the brain. Mr. Smith was about forty years of age, temperate and of quiet industrious habits. His wife died last fall and left him with two small children, who have since been cared for by his parents, who live near Mansfield. His sudden death cast a gloom over the whole neighborhood and many wild rumors of the cars striking him, etc., were started. Several saw the facts as herein stated.

WELLS – Mr. Chester Wells, of the United States navy, returned home Tuesday, after spending a few days with his friend, Colie Hanyen.

HEATH – Monday morning as Fall Brook coal train, extra sixty-six, which is due here at 9 o’clock, was coming down the grade, Frank Heath, one of the brakemen, while trying to set a brake, fell between two cars and had both legs cut off at the knee. A fellow brakeman who saw the accident quickly stopped the train. Heath was picked up ad carried to R. D. Urell’s hotel, where Drs. Smith, Hakes and Blanchard dressed his wounds. He lived until 5 o’clock. The deceased was forty years old and leaves four children. He had separated from his wife who is at present in Michigan. The funeral will be held at the Baptist church, Wednesday afternoon at 1 o’clock.

MOODY—BARNES – Yesterday afternoon at 2 o’clock Mary Esther, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Moody, was united in marriage at the home of her parents on Elmira street, with Mr. Eugene T. Barnes, of Philadelphia. The interesting ceremony was performed by the Rev. J. B. Woodward, in the presence of the immediate families of the contracting parties and two or three young lady friends of the bride. Accompanied by the good wishes of their numerous acquaintances Mr. and Mrs. Barnes departed on the 4:12 train for Ontario beach, Ithaca and other points of interest. It is understood that Mrs. Barnes will return to this boro to remain until fall, when they will begin housekeeping in the Quaker city.

GOODALL – The sleep "that knows not breaking, morn of toil, nor night of waking," last Friday evening at twilight closed the mortal eyes of Elmer Goodall at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. M. R. Goodall, at Canoe Camp. The deceased was in his 19th year, and possessed to an unusual degree the esteem of all who knew him. He enjoyed the blessing of good health until about three months ago, when a heavy cold was followed by acute phthisis from the wasting effect of which he died. The obsequies were held Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the Christian Church, of which the departed was a useful and consistent member, and were conducted by his uncle, Elder I. R. Spencer, of Long Point, Illinois, assisted by the Rev. J. B. Woodward, of Covington. The funeral was one of the most largely attended which has been held in this locality in a long time. The burial was in the family lot in Hope cemetery, this boro. The bereaved parents and other near relatives have the sympathy of all in their hour of affliction. (Handwritten Date 1892)

RICHMOND – The truth of the familiar saying, "Death loves a shining mark," was again exemplified on Saturday last in the death after a painful illness of inflammatory rheumatism, of Ray, second son of Oscar Richmond, at the tender age of 12 years and 4 months. The pride of his father and other members of the family, a favorite with his teachers and playmates, ever willing to bear his full share of the burdens of life, he was indeed, a shining mark for the great destroyer. He bore up bravely to the end, and just before his spirit took its flight, he joined in singing two hymns and made a prayer to Him who doeth all things well. It was his earnest desire to die and through death to join his sainted mother on high. The burial services were conducted on Monday from the M. E. Church in this boro, the Rev. Mr. Troxel of Mainesburg, officiating. The burial was in Hope cemetery. (Handwritten date Aug. 1893)

SWEET – Miss Fannie Sweet died at the home of her uncle, Theron Sweet in Monroeton, on Wednesday last of consumption, aged about twenty years. Her brother, Fred Sweet, who until recently conducted a livery stable at Monroeton died at Dushore on Thursday, of the same disease. He went to Colorado a few weeks ago, but deriving no benefit from that climate, he returned and went to Dushore, where his wife and child now are. Miss Sweet was a graduate of the Mansfield Normal school, taught for a time in the Monroeton schools. She was a favorite with the pupils and was well liked by all. The funeral of the brother and sister was held at Monroeton at 10 a.m., Saturday, both being laid at rest in one grave.

HIBBARD – James W. Hibbard, of Austinville, died suddenly away from home and friends last week Tuesday afternoon, at a health resort called Old Forge, in the Adirondack mountains, aged about 42 years. Mr. Hibbard had suffered a number of years from heart disease. He left home about a week before and the day following his arrival at Old Forge seemed to be unusually well. Toward night the next day, however, he was heard to fall in his room, and breathed only two or three times after being lifted from the floor to his bed. Word was immediately sent to his family of his sudden demise. Upon receipt of the distressing intelligence, J. R. Watkins, a friend of the family, started after the remains with which he returned to Austinville on Saturday, after a tedious journey of two days and one night. Mr. Hibbard was highly esteemed at Austinville, where he had successfully conducted a general store for the past seventeen years. He was also well known through Rutland, having clerked for C. L. Strait, at Roseville, for a long time. He leaves a wife and three daughters. The funeral was held on Saturday from the house. (Handwritten Date 1892)

SWEET – Katherine E., aged eleven years and six months, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Sweet of 638 Windsor Avenue, died this morning at 6:30 o’clock from diphtheria. The funeral was held from the house this morning.

ROBB – Death has again come in our midst. This time at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Robb, taking their only boy, Freddie, a bright little fellow of nearly four summers. He was sick but a few days, and died last Thursday. Yes, Freddie has gone. He was loved by all who knew him, and will be greatly missed.

DEWEY – Thanksgiving passed off quietly in this boro, without public gatherings other than morning services at St. James and the M. E. Church. The Post office was closed from 1 o’clock to 3 p.m., and many of the stores had their curtains drawn most of the day. The funeral of the late O. E. Dewey was very largely attended from the M. E. Church at 3 o’clock, Rev. E. B. Gearhart, of Troy officiating, assisted by Rev. W. S. H. Hermans of Mansfield. The burial was in Hope Cemetery at 5 o’clock, the obsequies lasting until nearly that time. Strait’s cornet band attended the funeral in a body. The following young gentlemen acted as pallbearers. A. O. Ireton, D. C. Burnham, W. D. Vedder, B. V. Strait, W. R. Westbrook and W. R. Longstreet.

HANYEN – Miss Abigail Hanyen died at her home, 449 West Fifth Street yesterday morning. She was the grandmother of W. H. VanBuren. She was a highly respected old lady and was born in 1802 in Putnam county. She was a member of the Society of Friends, and was a bright, active woman. C. B. Hanyen of Rutland, Pa., is her son. She had lived in Elmira since 1860. The funeral will be held to-morrow at 2:30 p.m.

KINGSLEY – Harry, the bright little son of Jerome and Wealthy Kingsley, of Mill Creek, died last Friday of membraneous croup, aged 17 months. The funeral was held Sunday at noon from the house, the Rev. Crowl officiating. Unstinted sympathy is extended the bereaved family.

LOSEY—MOORE – A mysterious couple claiming to hail from Rochester, who were married by Justice Williams in Elmira on the night of June 30th, stipulating that the wedding should not be registered under two weeks, it is now stated were Frank H. Losey, a son of Hon. Geo. T. Losey, of Lawrenceville, and Miss Addie Moore, of Mansfield. Both were absent at the time, and various other circumstances corroborate the fact as stated. They are young people of excellent standing and connections, and their reasons for taking this clandestine method of uniting their fortunes are incomprehensible to their numerous friends.

WATSON – Daniel Watson, Esq., died at his home in Roseville yesterday afternoon of lung trouble, aged 65 years. He had been a sufferer since last July. Deceased was a man universally respected for his uprightness and business qualifications, and his demise will be a loss to the boro of Roseville not soon to be overcome. He leaves a wife, three daughters, Mrs. H. H. Smith, Mrs. E. E. Wood, and Miss Ida R. and one son, Daniel, Jr., the youngest of the family. The funeral will be held from his late residence on Friday next at 11 o’clock.

BRACE – The funeral services of Flora, the bright little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. M. Brace, on Monday, were most impressive. The services opened with scripture reading by the resident clergyman, Rev. H. D. Barber, of Roseville, followed by fervent prayer by Rev. Moxcey, of Ulster, and a splendid funeral discourse by Rev. Paul Smith, of Jackson Summit. Deceased had been sick a long time of dropsy, the final summons coming at an early hour on Sunday morning. The funeral was quite largely attended by friends and relatives of the bereaved parents. (Handwritten date 1890)

MARVIN – Harry B. Marvin, son of David F. Marvin, died last Friday night at the home of his parents near this village, of catarrhal fever, aged twenty-two years. He was teaching school at Copp Hollow at the time he was taken sick, having taught about one month of the term. He was an unusually bright young man, having graduated at the Mansfield state normal school in the class of /91. He was beloved and respected by all who knew him, and the whole community is saddened by his untimely death. The funeral has been postponed until Wednesday next at 1 o’clock p.m., on account of a brother, W. C. Marvin, being in Colorado. He is expected to arrive Tuesday night. Covington Cor., Elmira Gazette. Handwritten date 1892)

KEMP—MILLER – At the home of the bride’s father the Rev. John Miller. In Nelson on August 10th, Harry Kemp of Farmington and Miss Mattie Miller of Nelson.


ROSEVILLE – A dramatic rescue that took place near here 20 years ago today has been scarcely heard of outside this rural community.

Heroine of the episode was Mrs. Ida (Will) McClure of Jobs Corners. She is credited with saving the live of Alene Harris, then 4, who had plunged down a 35 foot well shaft.

Members of the two families involved recall that no news story was ever printed about the incident because Mrs. McClure declined to receive recognition. Through the years Mrs. Tom Harris, Alene’s mother, has made several attempts to contact various national organizations to see if they would cite the act of heroism.

Today, because of Mrs. McClure’s daring descent into the narrow, partially filled well, Mrs. Alene Gilbride, 24, is teaching junior high school mathematics at Beecher School in the Elmira School System. Her mother is a third grade teacher in the same system at the Pine City School.

The passing years have not erased the participants memory of that fateful day. It was about 10 a.m. on a Monday. The McClures, who lived on Rt. 549 (Elmira-Mansfield road) just 2 miles north of Roseville Borough, were asked to care for the three young Harris girls that day so Mrs. Harris could drive her sailor husband to Elmira for train connections.

At the McClure farm, the couple were busy with their daily chores. Mrs. McClure was hanging clothes in the rear yard. Her husband was out of sight on a nearby hill repairing broken fence. Cries for help from 5-year-old Anne Harris interrupted the serene setting. Mrs. McClure rushed to the front yard where the well is located. She saw the boards covering the well shaft were broken. Peering into the dark, stone-lined shaft, she spotted little blonde-haired Alene bobbing in about 12 feet of water.

"All I could think of was a rope," Mrs. McClure recollects. "But I realized later it wouldn’t have done much good because she (Alene) was too small to grasp onto it anyway." Without wasting a moment, Mrs. McClure advised the youngster to hang onto a galvanized pipe protruding vertically into the water. The woman then went to the family car and sounded the horn to attract her husband’s attention. He remembers that it was routine at the time; he was a cattle dealer, and if a buyer stopped by, the horn communication system was usually employed.

In rapid succession Mrs. McClure rushed into the house and telephoned a neighbor for a length of rope and darted to the barn across the road in search of a rope. When it appeared no help would come soon, she returned to the well and began the long descent by scaling the rock wall. Alene had kept calm and managed to keep her head above water.

After precious minutes had passed, McClure came in view of the farm as he drove the tractor over the hill. He noticed something wrong and headed for the house. When he reached the well, his wife and Alene were edging upward toward safety. He was able to reach Mrs. McClure’s hand and hoist the two out of danger. Immediately after the rescue McClure went to a nearby field to drag a stone cover back to the scene. He placed the heavy piece of granite, half of a grave headstone, over the small well hole. It guards the dangerous shaft today.

The happy ending story is an integral part of the two family’s lives. They dine together often and are close friends. Mrs. McClure resides with her husband in a trailer at Jobs Corners. She works "to keep busy" at the Youngstown Steel and Door Co., in Elmira. Alene graduated from Mansfield High School in 1957 and earned a B.S. in secondary education from Mansfield State College in 1961. She has taught in the Elmira system since 1961.

PALMER – Mrs. Flora Garrison, aged 72 years, wife of George W. Palmer, died at her home in Roseville, June 1, 1920, after several months of poor health. Mrs. Palmer was born in Daggett, Tioga County, Pa., May 9, 1848, the daughter of Abram and Harriett Garrison. After her marriage to George W. Palmer on May 12, 1872, they resided on a farm in Rutland until 1885, when they moved to another in the same township where they lived for twenty-five years. In 1910 they left the farm and have since been living a retired life at their pretty little home in Roseville. Mrs. Palmer was an active member of the Methodist church for many years, until failing health forbade her attending. She never lost interest in church affairs, and was always glad to help in every way she could. While she had been ill a long time, and the close of her life was expected, yet the end came as a shock and was sincerely regretted by the many friends of the family. The many beautiful floral tributes at her funeral attested the great affection and esteem with which she was regarded. Mrs. Palmer leaves to mourn her loss, her husband, George W. Palmer, and a nephew, Lewis M. Palmer, of Mansfield. The funeral was held Thursday afternoon at two o’clock at the home. Reverend Frees Hess, pastor of the Methodist church, officiating. Interment was in the Dagget cemetery.

LAWRENCE – After days and weeks of patient waiting and prayers that she might find relief in death from that dread disease, consumption, the spirit of Miss Maud Lawrence, of this boro, ‘mounted on high at 8 o’clock Sunday evening, June 12th and joined the heavenly host in realms beyond the sky. Her age was 21 years, 5 month and 12 days. On the night of December 28th she attended a social gathering at Tioga and contracted a severe cold which, instead of giving way to the usual remedial agents grew steadily worse and soon developed into quick consumption. Her friends, and few had more of them, did all in their power to lighten her suffering and stay the progress of her disease, abut all to no avail. Until recently she had hoped for life and returning strength, but as the end drew near she recognized its approach and bade the great destroyer hasten. She was possessed of unusual attractiveness of face and figure and had a deep hold upon the affections of her friends and associates.

The funeral was very largely attended from the Baptist church at 2 o’clock Tuesday afternoon, Rev. F. H. Cooper choosing for his text, Matt. 9:24, "The maid is not dead, but sleeping." The floral offerings were beautiful beyond description, and consisted of an anchor wrought in white roses and callas, the gift of the junior class of the Normal School; a beautiful floral star; the design of a harp in white roses, and a magnificent bunch of half-blown yellow roses, etc., etc. The bearers were young men of her own selection, and the interment took place at Hope Cemetery, whither the remains were followed by a large number of mourning friends. (Handwritten date June 12, 1887)

WYLIE – Prof. D. C. Thomas, representing the school and Miss Vida Squire and George Stearns, representing the Senior class of the Normal left yesterday afternoon for Sugar Notch, Luzerne county, Pa. To attend the funeral of Miss Cecelia Wylie, who died Monday morning, March 5th 1888, of pleurisy, aged about 20 years. The announcement of Miss Wylie’s death was a great shock to her many friends in the school, and especially to the senior class, of which she was a member until about ten days ago. Her sister, Miss Jenet Wylie, who was attending school here also, left for Sugar Notch Monday evening.

HANYEN – At Her residence in this city, at 4:30 a.m., on Friday, Feb. 10, 1888, Mrs. Abigail Hanyen, aged eighty-six years. Funeral at 2:30 Sunday afternoon, Feb. 12th, at 449 West Fifth street.

REESE – It is with much regret that the residents of this vicinity learn of the death of Miss M Louise Reese, of Wilkes Barre, a student of the Normal for more than two years. As a member of the Normal Literary Society she performed her work faithfully, and her last appearance as a singer was in Alumni Hall at the last rendering of the Mikado, as little Yum Yum. At that time she had a severe cold and singing she strained her lungs and throat to such an extent that on her return home she was stricken down with the terrible disease, consumption, from which she had suffered until the evening of Oct. 5, when God called her to His home above. She leaves friends who will ever mourn her loss, but also rejoice to know that she lives in glory and is free from pain and tribulation.

GOODALL – May L. Goodall, youngest daughter of Mrs. E. D. Goodall, matron of the Mansfield Normal School, died at her mother’s home in this boro at 3:30 o’clock Tuesday morning, Nov. 1, 1887, aged 7 years and 8 months. The immediate cause of her death was brain lesions, superinduced by whooping cough and laterally by an acute attack of neuralgia. The best medical skill was called to her assistance, but all to no avail. She was a bright and winning child, whose untimely death casts a shadow over a large circle of acquaintances. Prayer will be offered at her late home tomorrow, Thursday, morning at 10 o’clock, and funeral services held at the residence of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. A. M. Spencer, at Canoe Camp, at 11 o’clock; Elder M. S. Blair of Covington, officiating.

KINGSLEY, MARY E. – Sudden Death of a Lady Whose Memory is Honored by a Large Number of Friends.
The subject of this sketch was born in Sullivan Township, Tioga Co., Pa. August 31, 1862; was the daughter of John C. and Amanda M. Clark. The latter died in 1869 leaving five daughters and two sons bereft of as noble a Christian mother as ever lived. Thank God for the prayers of this angel mother, all her children became followers of her Jesus and members of her church. Particularly is this true of the deceased. She voluntarily gave her heart to God at the tender age of fifteen, at which time she joined the Methodist Episcopal Church at Mansfield, Pa. Possessing a gentle and loving disposition and actuated by noble inherited principles, she arose to a pure womanhood. Aided by her own efforts she attended the Normal school at Mansfield during the fall terms of 1880-81-83. She taught several very successful terms of school in Sullivan and Rutland townships. While at the Normal she formed the acquaintance of Clark D. Kingsley, a prosperous and highly respected young man, with whom she was united in marriage Dec. 25, 1883. Soon she took up her abode with her husband upon his farm near Mill Creek. Soon after she joined by letter the M. E. Church at Lawrence Corners, of which church her husband is a member. Her marriage relations were very happy. She was a wise counselor, a devoted companion, a loving Christian mother, fit to dwell with her God.
The angels must needs come, with only a few moments warning and carry her to her heavenly home. She died January 17, 1893, the immediate cause being heart failure. The funeral services were held Jan. 20, 1893, at the M. E. Church at Lawrence Corners, where besides the relatives a host of friends assembled to honor the memory of the departed. A very touching and appropriate discourse was delivered by Rev. Mr. Rockwell from the following text found in Exodus, 16.31: "And the house of Israel called the name thereof manna; and it was like coriander seed, white; and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey." The deceased leaves a husband and two bright little boys, Georgia and Malcolm, aged seven and one respectively, two brothers, J. H. Clark, of Lawton, Mich., and Colin B. Clark, of Covington, three sisters, Mrs. Herman Updyke, of Sullivan, Mrs. S. H. Kiley and Mrs. F. C. Lanterman, of Covington, and the father above named to long mourn their loss. Her acquaintances will remember her as a womanly woman, her friends as one that loved a friend, the father as an obedient daughter, one that never needed to be reproved, the brothers and sisters as a sister, possessing and deserving their admiration, her husband as the choicest of women, the little boys as a dear, dear mamma.


The Reynolds family fourth annual reunion was held in Smythe Park, this boro, last Thursday. The weather was propitious and the gathering a large and happy one.

Roll call revealed 140 present. Dinner was served in the dining hall about 1 o’clock and proved abundant and tempting. The renewal of kindred ties was pleasantly varied by the reading during the afternoon by the Secretary of a history of the family written by Mrs. Susan Lamb, and a short literary and musical program. It was decided to meet in Smythe Park again next year, on the last Thursday of August. Officers were elected as follows: President, Frank Reynolds; Vice-President, Thu VanNess; Secretary, Mrs. Thu VanNess; Treasurer, C. O. Loveless. (Handwritten date Aug. 31, 1899)


George W. Palmer, the oldest male resident of Mansfield, died at the home of his nephew, Lewis M. Palmer, at 50 St. James Street, June 24, 1932. Mr. Palmer, who of later years was generally known to many persons as "Uncle George" because of his friendly manner toward every one, would have been 89 years old had he lived until July 17. He possessed unusually good health until about two years ago, but his mind remained so clear that he was able to attend to some necessary business only a week before his death.

Mr. Palmer was born in a log house in Rutland, Tioga County, the son of Lemuel M. and Emeline Palmer, who moved from Woodstock, Vt., in 1837. He was a successful farmer for a number of years, and later conducted a farm implement business in Roseville. Since the death of Mrs. Palmer in 1920, he has made his home with his nephew, Lewis Palmer, in Mansfield. His only child, a son, died in infancy.

Funeral services were conducted Monday, at the Palmer home, the Rev. D. W. Baylis, pastor of the Methodist church officiating, assisted by the Rev. DeWitt Stanley, of Marietta, N.Y., a former pastor of the Methodist church. Burial was in the cemetery at Daggetts.


George w. Palmer, the oldest male resident of Mansfield, died at the home of his nephew, Lewis M. Palmer, 50 St. James Street, Friday evening, June twenty-fourth, at 8:15 o’clock.

Mr. Palmer, who of later years was generally known to many persons as "Uncle George" because of his friendly manner toward every one, would have been 89 years old had he lived until July 17. Until during his eighty-seventh year he had possessed unusually good health, and might have been seen daily on the streets of Mansfield conversing with friends and transacting business. In fact, so clear was his mind that he was able to attend to some necessary business only a week before his death, though he had been seriously ill for several weeks. During the past two years failing health prevented him from following his regular routine of daily work and pleasure, causing him to be confined to the house except as he enjoyed occasional drives in the car.

"Uncle George Palmer" was the youngest child of Lemuel M. and Emeline Palmer; tow brothers, Charles and William, and two sisters, Mrs. Selina Rockwell and Mrs. Caroline Starkey, all of whom have died, being the other children. These parents came to Rutland Township a few years before their son, George W., was born. During the year 1837 Lemuel and Emeline Palmer, with their two small sons, Charles and William, journeyed from Woodstock, Vermont, coming first to Troy, N. Y., where they boarded the ferry and were hauled down the old Erie Canal by means of the slow and easy going mule plodding his way along the tow path to Geneva, N. Y., at the head of Seneca Lake. There the Palmer family loaded themselves onto a kind of lake boat which brought them to Watkins, where they boarded the Chemung Canal ferry, the only means of transportation from the north to Newtown, now our neighboring city of Elmira. While enroute Mrs. Palmer cooked for the boat crew to pay the family expenses of passage. Those who have listened to Uncle George as he related some of the interesting events in the early life of his family, say that his father was supposed to care for the boys while their mother cooked, but man fashion, he forgot his responsibility, and as a result, Charles fell overboard. He was rescued, however, and in later years became the father of Lewis M. Palmer.

Immediately upon their arrival at Newtown, Mr. and Mrs. Palmer, with their two sons journeyed on to Rutland Township, where they settled on forty-five acres of land and occupied a log house which a few years later became the birthplace of their youngest son, George W. Palmer. Acres were gradually added to the original settlement, which has remained to the present time the property of the Palmer family.

Lemuel Palmer was a shingle maker by trade and at once began this business. As soon as he had made a load of shingles he would haul them to Newtown to be sold.

The Palmer children attended the township school known as the Horton School. Their real source of education, however, was the school of experience and hard work, which fitted all of them for becoming men of keen business ability and women capable of managing homes and rearing splendid families.

In his early manhood George W. became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Roseville and retained that membership throughout his life. As long as he lived near or within the borough of Roseville he was a very active member of his church, permitting himself to become responsible in many ways for its spiritual development and material maintenance.

On May twelfth, 1872, Mr. Palmer was married to Flora M. Garrison, of Daggets. They were permitted to enjoy a long and happy married life, living for thirteen years on the farm first settled by George’s father, then moving to the Bill Rose farm, where they lived until only a few years before Mrs. Palmer’s death. Several years prior to that time they moved into Roseville village. To George and Flora Palmer was born one son, who died in infancy, October 2, 1874. An interesting coincidence occurred near the time of the loss of their only child. The wife of Charles Palmer died, leaving an infant son, Lewis M. Sorrow having come into the lives of the two brothers, Charles and George, they united their families and continued to live together for many years.

As a businessman, George W. Palmer was truly successful, due no doubt to his keen business mind, his honest dealings and his gentlemanly courtesy at all times. He and his two brothers formed a partnership in business, operating and selling Westinghouse threshing machines. This company continued under the name of the Palmer Firm until the death of W. F. Palmer during the year 1888. The firm remained C. E. and G. W. Palmer until 1896, when Charles sold out to his son, Lewis M. Palmer, who with his Uncle George continued in the Westinghouse threshing machine business for a number of years

Since the death of his wife, June 1, 1920, Mr. Palmer has made his home with his nephew, Lewis M. in Mansfield, and following the death of Charles Palmer, the father of Lewis, Uncle George legally adopted Lewis as his son.

Because of his genial manner, his keen wit, and pleasant smile, Uncle George has made friends far and near. His Mansfield friends have missed him from the streets of the town since he has been unable to be about. In his home Uncle George has endeared himself to his family in such a way that in spite of his extended years and frail body, it has been sad indeed to lose him. During the past six weeks of his very serious illness those who have cared for him found pleasure and inspiration while waiting upon him because of his patience and kindly words in spite of pain and weakness.

The any beautiful floral offerings and lovely remarks made by the officiating clergyman, the Reverend Douglas Baylis, of the Mansfield Methodist Church, and the Rev. R. DeWitt Stanley, a former pastor of this church and close friend of the family, reveal the love and high esteem in which Uncle George Palmer was held. His body was laid at rest Monday afternoon in the family plot at Daggett’s, Pa.