The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts
Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts
Say Hello to Joyce

Lester Rinebold - See obit below
Tri County Clippings- Page One Hundred Seventy Five
Obituary, The Daily Review, Friday, November 27, 1987

     Lester E. Rinebold, 83, of 119 Lycoming St., Canton, died Thursday, November 26, 1987, (3 p.m.) at the Troy Community Hospital.
     Born September 20, 1904 at Canton, he was the son of Francis and Myra Walburn Rinebold.
     Formerly employed for several years as editor of Canton Independent Sentinel, he was also formerly employed as a landscaper with Russell Landscaping, Horseheads, NY.
     He was a member of the Canton Church of Christ, Disciples of Christ where he was formerly church treasurer.
    Survivors include two daughters: Mrs. Francis (Alice) McNett, Roaring Branch; and Mrs. Ronald (Winona) Hunsinger, with whom he resided, Canton; four sons and daughter-in-laws:  Levi and Jean Rinebold, Columbia Cross Roads; Carl and Carol Rinebold, Ocala, FL; Martin and Judy Rinebold, Centerville; and William Rinebold, San Diego, CA; 30 grandchildren; 31 great-grandchildren.
     He was preceded in death by his wife, the former Nettie Keltz in 1969; a son Lester Rinebold, Jr. in 1926; a stepson Donald Day 1981; a daughter Maryella Wright in 1977; and a stepdaughter Evelyn Matson 1987.
     Funeral services will be held Sunday November 29 at 1 p.m. at the Morse and Kleese Funeral Home, 40N. Center St., Canton, with the Rev. David B. Morris, his pastor, officiating.
     Internment will be in the Park Cemetery, Canton.  Bearers were his grandsons, David Wright, Richard Rinebold, Dennis and Francis McNett, Martin Rinebold Jr. and Michael Rinebold.
     Friends may call at the funeral home Saturday, 2-4 and 7-9 p.m.
Submitted by his granddaughter, Janet Rinebold Webster.

Photo Attached, Graduation 1922

The Elmira Star Gazette, Elmira, NY, July 17, 1985
Memorial Obituary for Alice J. BARRETT Bolt Morse
Morse, Alice J, age 91, of RD1, Gillett, PA, July 16, 1985.  Friends may call at the Vickery Funeral Home, Troy, PA, Wednesday, from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m.  Funeral there, Thursday, at 2 p.m., with the Rev. Ann Palmer officiating.  Burial, Vroman Hill Cemetery.  Memorials may be directed the the East Troy United Methodist Church.  Survived by daughters, Mrs. George (Minnie) McCaslin of RD2, Millerton, PA, Mrs. Raymond (Laura) Clark of RD2, Columbia Crossroads, PA; Frederica Barrett of RD1, Gillett, PA; son, Claude Bolt of RD2, Mansfield, PA; stepson, Clinton Morse of Millerton RD; step daughter-in-law, Ruth Morse of Troy, PA; 22 grandchildren; several great-grandchildren; several great-great grandchildren.  She was a member of the East Troy United Methodist Church and the Gillett Baptist Women.
Submitted by her great-granddaughter, Janet Marie Rinebold

Obituary of Fremont BOLT
Fremont BOLT aged 66 years died at his home in Fairview Feburary 8, 1923, after an illness of about ten days.  Mr. Bolt was born near Mountain Lake.  His first wife who was Miss Susie King of Cambridge, N.Y., died at Fairview nearly 30 years ago.  To them were born Fred, now of Geneseo, NY, Will, who lives at home, Jesse, of Elmhurst, NY, Mrs. Lonnie Freelove of Burlington, and Seymour of Geneseo, NY, all of whom were present at the funeral.  In July 1908, Mr. Bolt was married to Miss Alice Barrett, the following children were born to them, Minnie, Claude, Harold and Laura.  He also leaves one brother, David Bolt.  The funeral was held Sunday at the Fairview M.E. Church of which the deceased was a member.  Rev. C. W. Carter of Burlington preached from II Cor. 5:1.  Elwin McKean, Lloyd Darrow, Alfred Spenier, Monroe Swartwood, Andrew Whitehead and Edsall Selleik were pall bearers.  Burial was at the Vroman Hill Cemetery.

Submitted by his great-great granddaughter, Janet Rinebold

Obituary June 1990 Williamsport Sun-Gazette
Winona RINEBOLD Hunsinger

Canton--Winona M. RINEBOLD Hunsinger, 56, wife of Ronald P. Hunsinger, of 119 Lycoming Street, died Tuesday, June 12, 1990, in Towanda Memorial Hospital.   She was employed at the Canton Manufacturing Corp. and the former Canford Manufacturing Corp. for a total of 10 years.
     Born January 15, 1934, in Canton, she was the daughter of Lester and Minnie Bolt Rinebold.
     Surviving, besides her husband, are two daughters, Mrs. Janet Webster, of Eagan, MN, and Miss Ronda Hunsinger, of Canton; two stepsons, Ronald Jr., of Laceyville RD2, and Myron, of Towanda, RD1; a sister, Mrs Alice McNett, of Roaring Branch, a half-sister, Mary Breese,  of Canton; four brothers, Levi Rinebold, of Columbia Cross Roads, Carl Rinebold, of Ocala FL, H. Martin Rinebold, of Centerville, Bradford Cnty, and William Rinebold, of San Diego, CA, and two half-brothers, George McCaslin, of Millerton, and Floyd McCaslin, of Mainesburg.
     The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at Morse & Kleese's, 40 North Center Street.  Burial will be in Park Cemetery.
     The Rev. Jasper Smith, a retired Methodist pastor, will officiate.  Friends may call at the funeral home tonight.

Submitted by her daughter, Janet Rinebold Webster 

The following obituaries for my gr. grandparents are from the Elmira STAR GAZETTE.



(Special to the Star Gazette)

Big Flats, Sept. 10 - The funeral of Oliver Johnson was held in the Methodist Episcopal Church Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, the Rev. C. E. Stillwell officiating.  Mr. Johnson was eighty-six years old and for 43 years had been a citizen of this town.  The following survive him, his widow Mrs. Della Johnson, two daughters, Mrs. John Dobney of Webb Mills and Mrs. Frank Markle of this place, two sons, Frank and Grove of this place.  Mr. Johnson was the father of Mrs. Serepta Easterbrook who was burned to death in a local hotel fire over a year ago.

The remains were laid at rest in Rural Home Cemetery.



A Big Flats Woman Struck Down While Shopping.

Mrs. Oliver Johnson of Big Flats, while in Grumme's furniture store yesterday noon was taken with a stroke of paralysis.  Dr. M. M. Brown was summoned and under his ministrations she revived enough to be removed to the residence of C. C. Miller, 661 Lake Street, a friend of family relatives, where she suffered a second stroke, which caused her death a little after 5 o'clock.  Mrs. Johnson was a most estimable christian lady, with many friends in Big Flats where she was prominent for all good works.  She leaves a husband and five children, two sons and three daughters.

Note:  Mrs. Johnson was the former Mary Holden daughter of John S. and Patience Miller Holden of North Lansing, NY.

Jeanette Markle Denson


Issue January 27, 1944
The Leader Dispatch
     Mrs. Mae Tice Dies of hear Attack
 Mrs. Mae Fannie Tice, 59, died suddenly at her home, 28 Terrace, Sunday of a heart attack following an illness of several months. She was born in Center County June 7, 1884, the daughter of Elizabeth and Jacob McClincy.  In 1901 she was untied in marriage to Lacy marsh to which union three children were born.  They are Mrs. Mildred Ostrum of Emporium and Earl J. Marsh of Galeton, who survive her, and Elizabeth Marsh, deceased.  She was united in marriage January 22, 1924 to Delbert Tice at Knoxville.  She is also survived by her husband, Delbert Tice; two sisters, Mrs. Rebecca Eschenbach of Kinzua, and Mrs. Andrew Keyes of Tyron, Pa; four grandchildren, Florence Fiscus and Earl Ostrum of Emporium; Betty Tice and Marjorie Marsh of Galeton; one great-grandchild, Gary Fiscus of Emporium, as well as several nices and nephews.  She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, Galeton.  The funeral will be held from her late home Friday afternoon at 2:00 o’clock with the Rev. Robert J. Rodisch officiating.
 Those here to attend the funeral from out-of-town are Mrs. Rebecca Eschenbach and son, Jacob, of Kinzua; Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Keyes of Tyrone, Mrs. Margaret Davidson and son, Louis, of Bellefonte; Mrs. Mildred Ostrum and son, Earl, and Mrs. Florence Fiscus and son, Gary, of Emporium, and Mrs. Dorothy Neff.
 Patsy Pifer 

     GRASSLER------ William Grassler, 74, of 201 Lincoln Avenue, South Williamsport, Pa, elderly watch repairman, was found dead Friday , April 27, 1945 at his home. He had been in ill health for some months. Dr. L.M. knauber, county coroner, was notified and after investigating pronounced death due to natural causes of advanced age. The body was discovered by Alfred Kauffman, South Williamsport police chief. He visited the Lincoln Avenue home where Mr. Grassler lived alone after a milkman notified him that the doors of the dwelling were unlocked and newspapers had not been taken from the porch. Mr. Grassler was a life-long resident here, and engaged in the jewelry business which his father, William F. Grassler and a brother Harry E. Grassler established. He is survived by two daughters  Lavera Grassler and Carrie Burkhart, both Cleveland, Ohio. He was preceded in death by two sons, Carroll Grassler, and Russell Grassler. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Noll Funeral Home. Burial well be made in Lewisburg, Pa.

Submitted by Carol Powell   (Great Grandaughter)            

Submitted by Jin (no surname given)


      Massinielo Spencer, aged nearly 92 years, formerly of Wellsboro, died at 7 o'clock Saturday morning, April 7 (handwritten in the margin was the year "1928") at the home of his son, B.F. Spencer, in Elmira.  The body was taken to Wellsboro that afternoon and the funeral held the following Monday at the home of Albert Spencer, a nephew of the decedent.  Burial in the Wellsboro Cemetery.
      He is survived by two daughters and three sons: Mrs J.A. Culver, Williamsport; Lewis Spencer, Wellsboro, Mrs. Charles A. Goodwin, Charleston; Herman C. and B.F. Spencer of Elmira.
      Mr. Spencer was the last of the descendants of Lyman Spencer.  He was of Englis ancestry and his lineage is traced back to Jarard Spencer, who was baptized in England, April 26, 1614, and came to America with three brothers, John, William and Thomas, March 26, 1633.
      The direct lineage is as follows: Jarard, 1614; Thomas, 1648; Jarard 2nd, 1678, Jonathan, 1705; Jonathan 2nd, 1744; Jonathan Lee, 1770; Lyman, 1796; Mr Spencer, 1836.
      Mr. Spencer spent most of his life in Wellsboro and Delmar.  He had five brothers and five sisters, all deceased.  He was a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church of Wellsboro.  He married Adelia Swartwood of Van Etten, N.Y. January 26, 1858.  She died May 24, 1919.
      On the margin was also handwritten "B.F. Spencer, 256 W. Chemung Pl., Elmira, NY." 

From 'The Brockton Enterprise' Nov. 12, 1997 Brockton, MA

Winfield Kjelgaard, 96, resident of Abington, formerly of Endicott, N.Y., died Monday at the Life Care Center in West Bridgewater after several months of failing health. He was the husband of Mary (Morris) Kjelgaard, who also resides at the Life Care Center.
Born in New York, and, raised in Galeton, Pa., he was a son of the late Dr. Carol and Bertha Kjelgaard. In his boyhood he enjoyed hunting and fishing in the mountains and streams of Pennsylvania.
"Doc' Kjelgaard was employed in the shoe business. He worked for Endicott Johnson in Endicott, N.Y., and the former W.L. Douglas Shoe Co. in Brockton.
He was a communicant of St. Bridgets Church and a fourth degree member of the Knights of Columbus.
He was especially proud of his author brother, the late James Kjelgaard, who wrote 'Big Red' and other children's books.
In addition to his wife of 68 years, he is survived by three daughters and a son, Mary A. Sheehy and Joseph Kjelgaard of Whitman, Rita Fusaro of Stamford, Ct., Christine Elliott of Marlboro; a brother, Henry Kjelgaard of Governeur, N.Y.. He was also father of the late Paul Kjelgaard aand brother of the late James, Betty, Robert, and, John Kjelgaard.
Mary A. Sheehy 

From Sue Edling

Charles.S. Jones of Seeley Creek, expires after a very brief illness. Our correspondent at Seeley Creek sends us the following sad and startling news just as we are about to go to press; This community was terribly shocked on Thursday morning of this week to hear of the death at about 8:30 a.m. of Mr. Charles S Jones, our merchant and postmaster. He was sick only about two days, which makes the blow so much more terrible. Mr. Jones was an upright businessman, and his genial companionship and friendly demeanor will be missed by all. He was a member of the Moronic Fraternity and carried a life insurance of One thousand dollars. He leaves a wife and one child, besides his aged parents and four brothers to mourn their great loss

  Mrs. Horace D. Wells - Jane
Mrs. Horace D. Wells, an old time resident of Elmira many years, died Thursday morning at the home of her son, Thomas Wells, in Buffalo, at an advanced age. For many years Mr. and Mrs. Wells resided at the northeast corner of West Water and Davis Streets, where they conducted a green house. The buildings were vacated and removed several years ago. The decedent is survived by two daughters, Bertha and Mrs. Grant Jones, and the son, Thomas. The remains were removed to Elmira yesterday and taken direct to
Woodlawn Chapel, where the Re. Mr. Rousch, assistant pastor of the First Baptist Church, conducted the committal service. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery.

  The papers last week noted the death of Mrs. H. D. Wells, and of the burial of the body in Elmira's Woodlawn Cemetery on Saturday last.
    Mrs. Wells was in her 87th year, and about 15 years ago lefty Elmira to reside in Buffalo, where two of her children had already become associated in business. The husband of Mrs. Wells was Horace D. a man well known in Elmira for many years, and up to the time of his death, prior to the demise of Mrs. Wells. Everyone called him " Hod." he was a Republican in politics, and was frequently elected to the office of constable, but perhaps his most prominent employment was when he was linked up with the late sheriff George
Stanley in the lightning rod business. In that business they succeeded in placing rods on 75 per cent of the barns in the county. This lightning rod business had previously been operated by Frank Phelps, Elmira's original showman, who went into it after he lost his grip on entertaining the populace. Horace Wells and Elisha Baldwin were partners in insurance in the seventies.
     Mrs. Wells was an energetic businesswoman. The family lived at 294 Water Street-old number-the same being at the northeast corner of West Water and Davis Streets, on the lot now occupied by the large residence of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd M. Shoemaker.
      While " Hod" was putting up lightning rods, constabling or selling insurance, Mrs. Wells conducted a greenhouse on the corner, and at one time had the leading florist business in Elmira. That was before Hoffman or Rawson came upon the scene as florists, which was some time ago.
      Mrs. Wells was a good soul as ever lived, and "Hod" Wells never harmed anyone, not even himself, and they had a host of friends. Beginning after awhile to lose his eyesight, "Hod" Wells had to give up his active business and his later useful years were devoted to assisting Mrs. Wells in her greenhouse. Both Mr. and Mrs. Wells bore such a relation to Elmira that no local history could be complete without an inclusion of these two in a mention of personal activities. Not many will now recall them, but even so,
may they rest in peace.

     Contemporary, years ago, with the greenhouse business of Mrs. Wells, was that of the Humphreys down on East Second Street, near Washington or Orchard, and that of the Morres at the corner of Chemung Place and Fulton Street-each one now only a memory in the mental storehouse of some of the oldest inhabitants. After all, it does not take long for the most conspicuous to be forgotten after the procession returns from the burial place and the crepe disappears from the door.
       Mrs. Wells is survived by two daughters, one Mrs. Grant H. Jones, and Miss Bertha O., and a son, Thomas B., who is a traveling man coming often to Elmira. All these live in Buffalo.

Mrs. Orpha Wells
Funeral of Mrs. Orpha Wells, at her residence in Wellsburg, on Saturday last was attended by a large circle of relatives, friends and neighbors. Mrs. Wells, all through life, was so kind, so benevolent and affectionate to those about her that none knew her but to love her. She was a friend to all with whom she met, weather rich or poor, without regard to race or nationality. She was spoken of by all who knew her in the familiar term "Aunt Orpha," everyone claiming her as an especial friend through her acts of kindness. Her benevolence to those in need was only limited by the extent of her means. In the domestic relations of life, as wife and mother, she was most affectionate and self-sacrificing in devotion to the happiness of her husband and children.
    She was born in the town of Southport December 21 St, 1805, and was the second daughter of Solomon L. Smith, who was the first supervisor of the town in the year 1822, and several terms subsequently held that office, in all fourteen years. From about 1819 he resided at the Bulkhead Hotel, where he engaged in hotel business, operating the woolen factory at that place in connection with Charles Evans, lumber and farming extensively. He was married to Miss Julia Seeley, daughter of Mr. Samuel Seeley, who at the
time lived on the farm now occupied by Alpha D. Griswold, which is situate about a mile above the Bulkhead Hotel on the plank road leading to the state line. Solomon L. Smith's family consisted of the following sons and daughters, and we give the names of those to whom they were married: Aurelia, the eldest still living, was born in Southport August 6, 1802, and married Shadrack Thompson; Orpha, deceased married Abner Wells; Margaret, deceased, married Mijamin Griswold; Emma, still living, married Sebury
French; Orr, still living, married Huldah Ann Smith; Hannah, deceased, married Henry Case Wells; Fanny, still living, married Harvey Farrand and Ebenezer Seeley, [ second husband];  Timothy, deceased, married Harriet Fry; Uri, deceased, not married; Jud, still living, married Rebecca Matthews;  Harriet deceased, and youngest of the family, married Hammond Matthews.

Fred M. Jones is dead
Esteemed Elmira citizen

Substantial business man, who had figured in activities of Elmira for many years, succumbs to long illness

  After an illness continuing nearly two years, at first not considered serious, but gradually assuming fatality, Frederick Mosher Jones died last evening about half past 10 o'clock at his home, no. 410 William Street.   In the hope that a change would be beneficial, Mr. and Mrs. Jones went to Lemon City, Fla., in December, but during nearly the entire period of their stay in that place Mr. Jones improved not at all, but on the contrary failed rapidly, and it was only by the best of management that they were able to return to their home in Elmira ten days ago.
  The funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the family home on William Street.

  Fred Jones, for by that familiar name was he universally known, was born at Seeley Creek, eight miles from Elmira, in this county, October 28, 1856, so that he was in his sixty first year. His father was Finla M. Jones, and his mother Sarah Mosher, whose family gave the name to the hamlet of Mosherville, on the state highway towards Job's Corners. His grandfather was Philo Jones, son of Elijah. This Philo Jones married a daughter of General Mathew Carpenter, and for a few years they lived in Elmira until 1817, when they moved to Seeley Creek and became the progenitors of the family who have so long been associated with that locality. The town of Southport was an almost unbroken wilderness then, Philo Jones lived there over 50 years, dying in 1872, over eighty years old, general Carpenter was one of the most important men in the section who came to Newton in 1792. He built a log house, a capacious one for those days, on the bank of Newton Creek. And lived there many years. He was both a military man and a man who had much to do in shaping the political history of the county.  Philo Jones was appointed postmaster at Seeley Creek by Abraham Lincoln in 1861.
  Fred M. Jones is survived by three brothers, Frank, a business man at Seeley Creek; Grant H., in Buffalo, and Mathew  Carpenter Jones in new York; Raymond T. Jones of Buffalo, formally in business in Elmira, is a cousin.
  Besides the brothers the decedent is survived by his widow and two children, Dr. Floyd Harding Jones, a practicing physician in Elmira, and Miss Gertrude Jones, of the faculty of the high school in little falls, N.Y. Miss Jones will arrive in Elmira this evening. March, 1887, Mr. Jones was united in marriage with Miss Minta  Harding, a niece of the late general William M. Gregg, the ceremony being performed by the Rev, Dr. W. T. Henry.
  When yet a young man Mr. Jones, having lived until then at Seeley Creek, came to Elmira in 1882, and engaged in the livery business with his uncle, the late Humphrey Mosher, on east Market Street, in the location for a long time since known as the Carpenter Livery. Mr. Mosher retired in about two years, when Mr. Jones conducted the business successfully in the sane place until he moved to Carroll Street about 25 years ago, where he built the famous stables with which his name was so long associated. About two years ago, because of warnings as to his physical condition, Mr. Jones disposed of his business and retired with an ample competency.   In all, therefore, Mr. Jones has been for nearly 35 years a prominent figure in Elmira business affairs, and in civic and social affairs as well. He was a member of Elmira Lodge of Elks, an exempt fireman, and one of the
'old guard,' having joined when young man the former 30th Separate Company. In politics also he was active and conspicuous, always a republican and taking an active part in that organization until he espoused the standard of progressivism.
  Turning for a moment to the personal side of Fred. Jones there is reveled a man of sturdy character, reflected no doubt from his strenuous ancestry. A man of impulsive tendencies in defending his ideas he was yet strongly impregnated with kindly impulses. He was firm in his friendships and always a splendid citizen who stood for the better things that strengthen a community. Fond of his home, and indulgent with his family, it is there such a man must inevitably leave a large and unfillable void. Loyalty to one's kind and loyalty to one's friends and fatherland, combine to make a man to be remembered with tenderness and gratitude, and that id the heritage left by Fred. Jones.

Finla M. Jones

Old resident of Seeley Creek dies at advanced age.

  Finla M. Jones, an old and highly respected residents of Seeley Creek, formerly called " Jones's, ", died  at his home in that place Monday morning, after a lingering illness. He was born October 20, 1820, and was consequently eighty-three years of age. He was a pioneer of the plank road section and had spent all his life on the same property, conducting a general store for a good many years, and was noted for probity, honor and integrity in all his dealings.  Besides his wife, he is survived by four sons, Frank, of Seeley Creek; Grant H., of Buffalo, and Mathew  C., of New York City. The funeral was very largely attended Wednesday at 10:30 o'clock at the old homestead. Interment was in the Webb's Mills Cemetery, Rev. U. S. Hall preached the funeral discourse, and in compliance with the express wish of the deceased said nothing in regard to his life, although much that was good might properly have been embodied.

From Kenny Peterson

There is a correction on my ggggrandfather's name.  It is Chester C. (Chapel) Wage.
I also have a newspaper clipping about him.  If your interested in posting it, please feel free.  It came out of my gggradmother's scrapbook.  I also have a copy of his dairy, ship log, of where he had been, to many dates to try and get right, so if your interested I'll mail it to you, just give me your address.  I think you've done a wonderful job with this website!  I'm trying to do my part in my area by cataloging and posting the cemeteries here in Columbia County, Georgia.
Chester C. Wage born in Springfield, Mass., February 7, 1813, he with his parents moved to what was know as Ridge Road in Orwell Township, Bradford County, Pa. when he was only 6 months old, and lived there until 3 years of age, when his father, John D. Wage took up a tract of land, all woods on the South Hill, Bradford Co.  He remembers distinctly of hearing the howling and screeching of wolves and other wild animals.  While growing into manhood he helped to clear many acres of land.  He obtained a common school education, good for those days in a log school house.  At the age of 20 years he in company with his cousin, Goodnough, walked to Massachusetts, there being no railroad at the time.  He worked in Boston as a bartender until the spring of 1834 when he returned to "old" Pa.  In the fall of 1834 he went back to Boston and in January 1835, he enlisted in the United States Navy and helped to fit out the U.S. Ship "Constitution" and sailed out of Boston Harbor the second day of March.  He crossed the Atlantic Ocean four times and has been in each of the four corners of the globe having sailed more than 48,000 miles on the "big waters".  He has experienced many narrow escapes.  Once during a heavy storm, Old Ironside, was thrown on her beam end in which position she was held for 48 hours, once the crew came near mutiny, once during a dark nigh while sailing through the narrow Dardanelles from the Mediterranean Sea, it was discovered that they barely missed the ragged rocks.
******************************Another one************
    Chester C. Wage who before the mast on the frigate "Constitution" know as "Old Ironside" vessel which played an important part in the making of the history of the United States died at the home of his son in Tuscarora Township on Saturday, October 5.
    Mr. Wage was born near Boston, Mass., on February 7, 1813 and with his parents moved to Bradford County when only six months old.  In a local school house he obtained a common school education, considering good for those days.  At the age of 20 years he in the company with his cousin Goodnough, walked to Massachusetts, there being no railroads at the time, in January 1835 he enlisted in the United States Navy and helped to fit out the frigate "Constitution".
    He sailed out of Boston harbor the second day of the following March in search of pirates.  He crossed the ocean four times and has been in each of the four quarters of the globe having sailed more than 48,000 miles experiencing many thrilling adventures.
    Mr. Wage remembered well the ordeal the sailors through, the cleaning and "shinning up Old Ironsides" as she lay at anchor near London, for the reception of the Royal Family, Queen Victoria had not been crowned at the time.  Mr Wage had an older brother, John, who went on a whaling voyage in the South Seas.  After some years the captain wrote that on their voyage home they land at Madagascar where he took the fever and died and was buried in the Indian Ocean. 

From Kenny Peterson

Wage - Lent Reunion
October 11, 1894

    We were ready Sunday morning, the 8th inst., my wife and self started on a thirty mile drive across county.  Leaving our home in Lackawanna County, we crossed a corner of Wyoming County and entered Susquehanna County in Springville Township.  Stopping with friends for the night, it was our pleasure to attend a prayer meeting in a school house, in which we had previously presided as teacher of the day school for three years.  Meeting old acquaintances and forming new ones, together with the privilege of worshiping with these people once more, was an enjoyable evening indeed.  Monday found us on our way over the ills and through the valleys of Auburn township and we must say that we never saw the country when the scenery was more pleasing.  The hillside being beautifully mottled with green, golden, crimson forest, with bright blue sky for a background, presented a grand picture.  The merry song of birds added to the enjoyment of this warm Indian Summer day, and the hours spent eating lunch and picking chestnuts while our horse rested will not soon be forgotten.  Arriving at the "old home" early Monday evening, we had plenty of time to visit our friends there before
    Wednesday, October 11 at an early hour Mr. and Mrs. Chester C. Wage were made to rejoice in seeing their six living children again under the parental roof.  Those from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. L.M. Wage, Binghamton, New York, Mrs. Eliza Clapper of Candor, New York, Mr. and Mrs. George Jay of Herrickville, Pennsylvania, Mr. and Mrs. S.B. Wage of LaPlume, Pennsylvania, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Woodruff, of Skinner's Eddie, Pennsylvania, and Mrs. Edward Marbaker of Vay, Virginia.  Other grandchildren and great grandchildren were present from all the above places making a happy family group of thirty one.  At twelve thirty P.M., father and mother took their places at the head of the table, while the "children" arranged themselves just as they used to sit around the old table years ago in their childhood, and many a fond glance did father and mother give as they were seated around the table, to see the children do justice to a bountiful dinner which was furnished by their youngest son, H.O. Wage and his estimable wife Rose.  After dinner we were all invited to the sitting room where mother, with these few and impressive words, presented each of her children with a patchwork quilt, pieced by her own hands, "Children, it is quite likely that we may never all met again on earth, so I want to give you these as a token of my esteem of you, for the kindness you have ever shown me.  They are yours to keep, or use, as you may see fit.  It is probably the last work I will ever do for you".  We need not say they were thankfully received and will be treasured as "mother's last gift".  After another hour of visiting, talking of childhood days, of the past, of business prospects and hopes for the future, the following resolution was passed.  Resolved--that we make this the first of an annual family gathering, and as long as mother and father live, it shall be held here at the old homestead.  Soon after we joined in singing "God Be With You Till We Meet Again", then came the hand shaking and good-byes and at 3:30 PM we began to turn our faces homeward, thankful for all well pleased with the result of this home gathering.
                                Simon B.

Wage - Lent Reunion
October, 1895

    In pursuance of the arrangements made one year ago, the Wage-Lent Reunion was celebrated on the 9th inst., at the house of C. C. Wage, Opposition, Bradford County, Pennsylvania.  Although late in the season and the day not all that could be wished for, a goodly number of relatives and friends assembled.  The time was spent by the old folks going over again their youthful pranks, the joy and pleasures they enjoyed in days gone by.  While the boys and girls of today enjoyed themselves as only young people can when full of youthful health and vigor.  Truly to look upon such a scene one can but think that they are spending their happiest days.
    Soon after the noon hour, dinner ??????? , when the following proceeded ??????? and the usual amount of provisions on such occasions (of which the most novel work of culinary was a layer pie).  C.C. Wage, J.H. Lent, wife and grandchildren, Delphine, L.M. Wage and wife, Mrs. George Jay and granddaughter, Lizzie, Mrs. Eliza Clapper, Mrs. E.J. Marbaker and son Willie, Mrs. S.B. Wage, H.O. Wage, George Wickiser and wife, A.B. Williams, wife and daughter, Frankie, L.R. Picket, wife and son, Marcus, M.J. Picket and wife, Miles Marbaker and wife, Wallace Wage and wife, R.F. Marbaker, Mrs. Grace Banks and daughter, Leta, Fred Wage, Lena Wage, Pearl Wage, Chester Wage, Dorsa Wage, Ulysses Clapper, Lystra Jay, Lee Jay, Emma Marbaker, Morton Marbaker, Ettie Clapper, Jesse Gibbs, Leslie Warner, Mrs. A.E. Bennett, and Myrtie Hoover.
    In the evening Messers.  George Lacey and Burton Gibbs and Misses Edith Lacey and Effie Fowler called and helped make time pass pleasantly.
    After dinner, L.M. Wage, president, called for order, when the following program was rendered:  Prayer by A.B. Williams, a few selections of appropriate hymns were sung.  After which the young folks recited some very fine selections of poetry, when "Uncle George" Wickiser offered a closing prayer.  The good-byes soon began to be said, all agreeing that "we have had a good time".
    Since our parting one year ago, there has been some changes in our numbers.  October 6, 1894, J.S. Clapper was married to a Miss Rice.  After two short months she left us, gone from whence none ever return.  April 14th, 1895, Lelia Kime, age twenty one years and ten months, died.  In her last moments she exclaimed "I hear the angels singing so sweetly", and with a good bye to loved ones she was gone leaving a husband and infant son, who after four months, followed his Mama leaving Pa alone.  May 14th, 1895, Miles Marbaker was married to Miss Mary Warner.  About two months ago Wallace Wage was married to Miss May (Gunderman), come to think I never knew what her name was, but she was one among the rest on the 9th inst.
    The scribe, although not present, is under obligation for cake, layer pie, etc.  The thoughtful ones please accept thanks.  The next reunion will be held at the same place on the last Wednesday in August, 1896.
                                    S.B. Wage 

From Judy Hinman

Obiturary for Martha

After an illness of several weeks, accompanied by sever pain, Mrs. James E. Vaughan entered into rest on Tuesday, May 25, 1905.

Her father, James Ammerman, came to this part of the country from Danville, Montour county, when he was by a lad and later married Miss Eleanor Brown.  To them were born nine daughters and one son, of whom Martha was the second child.  All of the other daughers are living.

At the age of eleven years she went to live with the Vaughan Family, and on the first of January, 1867, she was married to one of the sons of the family, James E. Vaughan.  To them were born five children, Elias W. , Frank D., May Bell, who was married to D. J. Campbell and died September 1902, John and Scott A.  The four sons with five grand children survive her.

Mrs. Vaughn was a loving wife, a kind mother, and a good neighbor.  She will be greatly missed in the community and home where she had spent more than half a century of her life.

April 1900, she publicly confessed her faith in Jesus Christ as her Savior, and united with the Presyterian church at Lime Hill, of which she was a member at the time of her death.  Throught all her sickness she gave testimony of the presence of the Lord whom she loved.

Mr Vaughan has the sincere sympathy of the community in this sore bereavement.

On Thursday a large concourse of friends and relatives met at the late residence and with loving hands laid the body in rest beside that of her daughter, in Lime Hill cemetary.  The services were conducted by her pastor, Rev. Milton Lewis Cook


Funeral for Mrs. Ennis Held at Standing Stone Tue. P. M.

Mrs. Zilphia Vaughan Ennis, widow of the late Asa Stevens Ennis, died at her home in Standing Stone, early Sunday morning, April 7, 1935.

Mrs. Ennis had been confined to her home with illness since Christmas.

Mrs. Ennis had lived a useful and an active life, always sharing the joys and sorrows, as well, of her family.  The Ennis home was always a social center, from which a generous hospitality radiated, particularly for young people.  She was much loved and respected in the surrounding community and had a large circle of friends.  She was a member of the Universalist church.

Mrs. Ennis received her education at Mansfield.

She was an active member of the Whittemore Club.

The deceased was the youngest daughter of Elias and Susan Dodge Vaughan of Vaughan Hill and was born there in August 1855.  She was the granddaughter of Richard Vaughan, whose father, John Vaughan, came from England to the United States with Nancy Day (his wife) who was the daughter of an earl and granddaughter of Lord Brandon.  They had three sons, John, Richard, and Edward.  Richard, the grandfather of Mrs. Ennis, was buried in Wyalusing shortly after the Revolutionary War, in which he survived as quartermaster.

Mrs. Ennis leaves to mourn her loss, Asa Frank, of Wysox and Arthur Stevens, of Standing Stone; also two granddaughters.  Frank S. Vaughan of Homets Ferry is a nephew.

Feneral services were held at her late home at 2:30 o'clock on Tuesday with burial in the Stevens family cemetery.  Rev. Herrick, he pastor, officiated

The funeral of the late Mrs. Washington Hinman, who died Saturday morning at 10:00, took place this afternoon from the Presbyterian church, where scores of sorrowing friends had gathered to pay their last respect to this honnored lady who was the best known resident of the city, having come here in the sixties. Rev. Williams delivered an impressive and consoling sermon, after which the choir sang favorite hymns of the deceased.  The florial offerings were both beautiful and numerous.  Intrerment was made in the North Platte cemetery beside her husband, who died January 27, 1904.

Miss R. F. Vaughn was born at Wyalusing, Pa., May 17, 1836 and  lived there until her marriage to Washington Mallory Hinman of this city [North Platte, NE] after which she came to Fort Mc Pherson with her husband, who was post interpreter there.  During the year of 1868 she came to North Platte and it was here on February 21st that his first child, Vaughn, was born.  During this year the Indians congregated here and the Hinman family moved to South Pass, PA.  On March 7, 1870 their second son, York, was born.  The year following they returned to Nebraska and took up the homestead on the Republican river.  Here on July 21, 1873, their first and only daughter, Susie, now the wife of George Eves of Stockton, CA was born.  In the spring of 1878 they moved to North Platte once more, where they made their home until death claimed them.

Whe moveing from Medicine to this city there was no bridge across the South Plaatte river and the family came over on a flat boat, meeting a band of the Sioux, which greatly frightened an elderly lady relative who was of the party, Mrs. Hinman took charge of an inn on the corner of Sixth and Locust and at this time about 6,000 Indians were roaming over the plans.  Six wood chopppers were scalped and brought into her house.  Soon after General Sherman arrived here to make a treaty with the Sioux and one evening at dinner, with a party of friends, requested liquor brought to them, but the request was refused by Mrs. Hinman, who told him no liquor could not be served under her roof.  The general bowed to her and expressed his pleasure at meeting a lady who had the courage of her convictions.

Mrs. Hinman was stricken with paralysis April 18, at noon and remained speechless until the Thursday following when she rallied, recognized those around her and conversed with them.  Realizing her critical condition she settled her earthly affairs and requested the eighth chapter of Romans read to her while she prayed and asked a blessing on ther children.  From that time she grew weaker and died April 30.  The relatives do not recall any former serious illness during her life time.

Mrs. Hinman was a woman of intelligence of an energetic and ambitious nature and greatly interested in the education of the young.  It was her custom in former years to be a frquent visitor of the city schools.  In 1888 she and her 15 year-old daughter became affiliated with the Presbyterian chruch, for which she worked faithfully.  When she first came to the city there was no Presbyterian church here, but being of a Christian nature she joined wih the Episcopals and helped build the old church and her death brings sorrow to the hearts of the many with whom she associated.

Besides the three children who feel the loss of a noble mother, her brothers, Scott Vaughn of Hershey, James Vaughn of Wyalusing, Pa, sister, Mrs. Zilphia Ennis of Standing Stone, Pa., and ten grand children are left to mourn her

WALLACE M. CODNEY:  Wallace M. Codney, 86 of Trout Run, RD 1, died at 5:30 p.m. Sunday, October 1, 1972 at home following an extended illness.  Born at Blossburg, March 29, 1886, Mr. Codney started his trade when he was 15. At that time he took a job with the Wellsboro Advocate. Mr. Codney assembled the first linotype machine in Tioga County, and was the first linotype operator in that county. He went to Brooklyn, N.Y., to get the machine in 1907, brought it back and assembled it for operation in Wellsboro. After six years on the Advocate, he worked for a short period for the Binghamton Book Manufacturing Co. In Sept. 1909 he went to Williamsport with the Gazette and Bulletin forerunner to the now Williamsport Sun. He retired in 1952 as a Linotype operator for that newspaper.  Mr. Codney was a member of the Centennial United Methodist Church, Cogan House, Pa. He was also a member of the International Typographical Union for 65 years, and was the oldest member of length of service in Local 141, Williamsport, Pa.  He first joined the union in 1907 in Elmira, N.Y. Surviving are a son, William W., with whom he lived; a daughter, Mrs. Janet Maneval of Liberty, Pa., five grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.  Funeral services were held in Williamsport on Wednesday, October 4 with Rev. Donald E.Mummert his Pastor officiating. Burial was in Wildwood Cemetery, Williamsport, Pa.

EDWARD J. CORDUS:  Edward J. Cordus, of Hollywood, Florida, age 54, died on Saturday, January 12, 1974, following an extended illness. He formerly resided on North Road in Middlebury Center and was employed by the Dresser Manufacturing Company. He left for Florida approximately 10 years ago and until the time of death was employed as Front Office Manager at the Playboy Club in Miami Beach, Florida. He is survived by his mother, two sisters and a brother. Funeral services were held on Friday, January 18th at the Abington Friends Meeting in Jenkintown, Pa. Internment at Hillside Cemetery at Roslyn, Pa.

MERL G. COLVIN:  Dr. Merl G. Colvin, 71, of Williamsport RD 2, city health adviser and pathologist at the Williamsport Hospital, died there on Sunday, May 21, 1972.  He served as city health officer from 1942 to 1962 and held the non-paying job of city health adviser at the time of his death. He was honored by the city in March for his service.  Dr. Colvin was a graduate of Bucknell University where he was fund manager of the class of 1924, and a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity. He was a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Medical School. He interned at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital and studied pathology at the Yale Medical School.  He was a retired Lycoming County health officer.  A past president of the Lycoming County Medical Society, he was a member of the American Medical Assn., American College of Physicians, American Society of Clinical Pathologists and Pennsylvania Medical Society. He was also a member of the Williamsport Kiwanis Club, Ross Club and a charter member of the Newberry Lions Club.  He also served as attending pathologist at Blossburg, Wellsboro, Lock Haven, Centre County, Shamokin and Muncy Valley Hospitals.  A member of the Pennsylvania Advisory Health Board, he was the author of several medical papers and contributed to the medical society’s history of Lycoming County.  The funeral was held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Presbyterian Church. The Rev. Robert A. Allen, his pastor, officiated. Burial was in Mound Cemetery.  In lieu of flowers, friends are requested to contribute to the Memorial fund at the Wellsboro Soldiers and Sailors Hospital which will be used to purchase new laboratory equipment.

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On ?
By Joyce M. Tice