The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings - Page Two Hundred Thirty Nine
James J. Bartram
A young man in Philadelphia, named James J. Bartram, went into a field near the city, and requested a man to dig his grave, as he had not long to live.  The man commenced digging, when Bartram drew a rifle from under his cloak, shot himself, and died in a few minutes.  His circumstances were good and his business as a locksmith flourishing, and he was to have been married on Tuesday last.  (Wednesday, January 31, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Dreadful Steamboat Accident
From the NY Tribune.  40 or 50 lives lost!!  By our St. Louis papers received yesterday, we have accounts of an appalling loss of life as well as property in the destruction of the Ohio steamboat Shepherdess, Capt. Howell, eight days from Pittsburg with emigrants, moveables and goods, at 11 pm of the 3d inst., by striking a snag in the Mississippi, three miles below St. Louis.  The Republican of the 6th says: “We have seen misery in many shapes, but, with the exception of one or two blow-ups of steamboats, we have never seen any thing so harrowing as was presented to us yesterday.  The history of the matter is as follows: “The Shepherdess, from Cincinnati to this port, about 11 o’clock at night, when within three miles of the city struck a snag, just above the mouth of Cahokia creek.  The concussion was very severe and must have torn out several of her planks.  At the moment of striking, most of the passengers in the gentleman’s cabin had retired to their berths.  The ladies were generally undressed for the night.  Upon deck, so far as we could ascertain from the officers and passengers, there were some 60 or 70 passengers, young and old.  Four or five men were sitting up in the gentlemen’s cabin at the stove.  In a minute or two, the water rose to the lower deck, where most of the passengers in that part of the boat were asleep.  One of the pilots went into the hold, but had scarcely entered before the rush of the water drove him out.  The Captain, who was on duty, ran to the ladies’ cabin and assured them that there was no danger, and returned to the forecastle, which was the last satisfactory account we could get of him. About this time screams and shrieks were heard from the deck below, and one or two ladies who rushed to the stern of the boat, say they saw a number of persons in the water.  Certain it is, the water rushed in with tremendous rapidity, and in about three minutes was up to the floor of the upper cabin.  A portion of those on deck were saved by getting into the vawl, which was cut loose and rowed to shore with a broom. The water rose so rapidly that it soon became necessary for all to seek safety upon the hurricane deck.  Much difficulty was experienced in doing so, for the bow was sunk so deep that the only access was by the stern.  So far as we could learn, we believe all the inmates of the cabin reached the hurricane roof. After the boat struck the snag, it drifted down the stream, and a few hundred yards below struck another snag, which was far out of water.--This threw the boat nearly on her beam’s end on the starboard side.  Drifting from this snag, she again lurched to the starboard, and at each lurch, several persons washed off.  Some of them reached the shore, but many were drowned.  A short distance below, just above the first shot tower, the hull struck a bluff bank, which again earned her nearly on her beam’s end.  Here the hull and cabin parted.  The hull sunk and lodged on a bat above Carondelet, and the cabin floated down to the point of the bar below that place, where it lodged and remains. The Henry Bry was lying at the shot tower above Carondelet, when the cabin passed.  The cities of the passengers aroused the captain, and he and his crew rendered efficient service in rescuing the passengers in their yawl.  We are told that the captain of the Bry worked until he was entirely covered with ice. About 3 o’clock, the Icelander, one of our ferry boats came along, and went to the rescue, and took off all who remained upon the wreck (over 100).  It is due to this company to say, that in addition to the service rendered by the Icelander, upon her arrival at the wharf, three men in a yawl were immediately dispatched to the assistance of the persons on the wreck, and they rendered essential service to them.  In Carondelet and Cohokia, the kindest attentions were shown to those who got on shore.”  (Wednesday, January 31, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Harriet Catlin
In Charleston, Oct. 23d, 1843, Harriet, daughter of Cyrus Catlin, aged 4 years.  (Wednesday, February 7, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Jesse Catt?
In Charleston, Jan. 14th, instant, Jesse Catt?, aged 76 years.  (Wednesday, February 7, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Judge Alexander Porter
Death of Judge Porter.--We learn with regret the death of Hon. Alexander Porter, U. S. Senator from Louisiana, at his residence in the parish of St. Mary’s, on the 13th ult.  He was a native of Ireland, whose father perished on the scaffold, a martyr to the cause in which Emmet and his companions laid down their lives.  Immediately after the event, the son emigrated to this country, and settled down in Attakapas, in Louisiana.  He has been a member of the Legislature, Judge of the Supreme Court, served out one term in the United States Senate, and was, in 1842, elected for a full term of six years, from March, 1843.  Mr. Porter had been eminently successful in his private affairs, and died wealthy. (Wednesday, February 14, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Abigail Stone
In Delmar, on the 8th inst., Mrs. Abigail Stone, consort of Israel Stone, in the 41st year of her age.  (Wednesday, February14, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

James Dolan
Execution of James Dolan--We learn by a friend that James Dolan was executed on Friday last in the jail yard at Towanda, precisely at 1 o’clock pm.  Mrs. Dolan was respited by the Governor for the term of six months.  Our informant states that about 40 persons were within the enclosure, and that every place in the neighborhood, which afforded a sight of the scaffold, was crowded with people.  The number of strangers in Towanda at the time of the execution was estimated over 3,000!  The editor of the Bradford Argus gives the following account: “We entered the cell of the culprit about 10 o’clock, at which time he was perfectly calm and collected; conversing freely at times and expressing himself perfectly resigned to the fate which awaited him.  Fathers O’Reily and Fitzsimmons, the attending clergymen; had a short private interview with him about half past 11 o’clock, at the close of which he appeared quite cheerful; remarking to some one near, (alluding to his shroud) “You see me in a new suit.” “The hour appointed for the execution having arrived, Dolan embraced his wife, and exhorted her to be a good woman and not to get drunk any more, attended by the Sheriff and his deputies, and the priests in attendance, and a number of others who half remained in his cell, walked with a firm step to the scaffold, and ascended the steps to the platform with the same unfaltering nerve.  He was soon joined by the attending clergymen, and Sheriff, who asked if he had anything to say.  He stated in reply that he murdered Gere, whom he found on the bed with his wife, but he did not know what became of the money which the murdered man possessed; he stated further that his wife did not know anything concerning the murder until the deed was committed--she being drunk at the time--that Gere was the first person he ever murdered but that some ten or twelve years ago, he snapped a loaded pistol at his wife.  He expressed much gratitude to the people for their goodness to him, and disclaimed having any anger towards a single living being.  The ministers then engaged in prayer with him for a few moments, when the Sheriff adjusted the rope around his neck and pulled the cap over his face.  This took but a moment.  Immediately after, he took leave of him by shaking his hand and in less than five seconds cut the rope and the wretched man was in eternity! “The body fell about three feet.  The hands and feet jerked convulsively after hanging about three minutes, shudder passed over the frame, and life became extinct.  After hanging some forty minutes, the body was taken down and placed in a coffin, and handed over to his friends.”  (Wednesday, February 21, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Asa Mann, Esq.
From the Illinois Free Trader.  Died--On Monday, July 10, 1813, at the residence of Mr. John Hoffman, Peru, Ill’s, Asa Mann, Esq., in the 62d year of his age, of the painful disease of cancer in the stomach, under which he languished, in severe suffering, nearly one year, but which he bore with a patience and spirit consonant with the character which he had long sustained for fortitude and firmness to resist the misfortunes and ills of life.   Previous to his emigrate on into the state of Illinois, in the year 1838, Mr. Mann resided in Tioga county, Pa., for more than 30 years, during which time he was a highly respectable and enterprising citizen; distinguished as an efficient merchant, farmer and lumberman; eminent and a uniform, consistent, and influential politician of the Jeffersonian school.  At two different periods he was elected by the people of Pennsylvania as Elector of President and Vice President of the U. S. in each of which instances the candidate voted for by him was sustained and approved, by the nation.  In private life the whole tenor of his conduct has been such as to draw to him the warm affection of his relatives and intimate friends, and the confidence and respect of all who knew him.  (Wednesday, February 21, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Benjamin Green
In Sullivan, on Saturday, Feb. 3d, Benjamin Green in the 73d year of his age.  (Wednesday, March 6, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Huldah Spencer
Died, in Spencerville, Tioga county, on the 29th ult., Huldah, daughter of J. G. Spencer, Esq., and consort of Mr. Henry Miles, after a short illness which she bore with Christian fortitude and resignation, in the 23rd year of her age.  (Wednesday, April 10, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Peter S. Duponceau
Death of P. S. Duponceau.--The Ledger of Thursday last, says.--The venerable Peter S. Duponceau, a native of France, but a citizen of the United States, and for a long series of years an inhabitant of this city, departed this life early on Monday morning at the advanced age of 84.  The deceased was one of the most learned and distinguished civilians and linguists of the present day, his works being universally quoted throughout all Europe, besides being extensively translated into every continental language of any importance.  In addition to his literary scientific labors, he held the most distinguished stations in the scientific and legal institutions of this country, and he contributed greatly to the advancement of the same, and the cause of learning in connection therewith.  (Wednesday, April 17, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Diehl’s wife
Murder of a wife by her husband and of a child by her Father.--An extra from the office of the Pittsburg Chronicle, of Monday last, furnishes a record of one of the most heart-rendering murders it has ever fallen so our lot to notice.  The deed was committed by a man named Diehl, about 9 o’clock on Monday morning.  Diehl is a painter by trade, and resided in an alley on Sixth street, in that city, rear of the Fifth Presbyterian church.  Indicated by his evil passions, which it is said, had been inflamed by the immoderate use of intoxicating drink for the last two weeks, although he was not drunk at the time the act was committed, deliberately killed his wife by striking her on the head with a hatchet, fracturing her skull, and disfiguring her head in a most horrible manner.  He also killed one of his children at once, and injured the other in such a degree that its life is in imminent danger.  He then inflicted a gash in his own throat with a knife, and sat down upon a stool himself bleeding, and the reeking bodies of his wife and children around him.  In this situation he was found by his neighbors, who called to some person who was going by, and had him secured.  He was taken to the Mayor’s office, his wound dressed, and he was committed for a further hearing.  When at the Mayor’s office, he assigned to the officer who arrested him, that jealously was the cause of the act, alleging that his wife had told him that the children were not both his children, which so enraged him, that he resolved to kill them all.  (Wednesday, April 17, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Commodore Edmund Pendleton Kennedy
Commodore Edmund Pendleton Kennedy, of the U. S. Navy, died very suddenly at Norfolk, Va., on the 28th ult., of Apoplexy, leaving a wife and six children.  Com. K. at the time of his death, was in command of the Ship of the line Pennsylvania.  (Wednesday, April 17, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Capt. Abraham Ten Eick
Capt. Abraham Ten Eick, of the U. S. N., died at New Brunswick, NJ, on the 28th, in the 58th year of his age.  (Wednesday, April 17, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Judge Baldwin
Dead.--Judge Baldwin of the Supreme Court of the United States.  He died at the Merchants Hotel in Philadelphia on Sunday the 21st ult., in the 65th year of his age.  The late residence of Judge B. was in Alleghany county, Pa.  Geo. M. Dalias is spoken of to fill the vacancy.  (Wednesday, May 1, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Son of Mr. Abel Nickerson
Killed.--A lad of about 14 years of age was crushed to death by the accidental fall of a large tree last week in Charleston.  The boy we learn was a son of Mr. Abel Nickerson.  (Wednesday, May 8, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Death of Thorwaldsen.--Thorwaldsen, the celebrated sculptor, died at Copenhagen on the 25th ult., aged 74.  A letter from Hamburg says:

“The death of Thorwaldsen, the greatest sculptor of the age, which event occurred at Copenhagen a few days ago, is universally regretted in Hamburg, where the unrivalled artist was well known and highly respected.  It may, perhaps, not be generally known that for years Thorwaldsen languished at Rome in obscurity, until he chanced to attract the notice of an English nobleman, who appreciated his talent and did homage to his genius; and to this event the great celebrity which the Danish artist enjoyed during the latter part of his life-is in a great measure due, for Thornwaldsen had become disgusted with the neglect of the public, and was about to relinquish his noble profession, when a fortunate circumstance brought in his studio on individual who could appreciate his merit, and who had the means of extending to him real and valuable patronage.”  (Wednesday, May 8, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Clarinda Hatch
In Elkland, April 8th, Mrs. Clarinda, wife of B. Franklin Hatch, and daughter of Henry and Polly Shoff, of Stratford, Coos co., NY, aged 31 years. Oh, weep not!  though thus she hath fled, In the blossom and beauty, and prime; The flowers transplanted not dead; The sunshine of Heaven is her clime, ‘Tis cruel to pray for her back, Seen her glorified spirit is at rest, Thee weep not, but follow her track, She has gone to the land of the blest.  (Com.)  (Wednesday, May 8, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Amanda Ellis
At Grampton Hills, Clearfield Co, Pa., on the 3d ult., Amanda, wife of Asaph Ellis, in the 48th year of her age.  She has left an affectionate husband, ten children, and a numerous circle of relatives, and friends to mourn her loss.  She had been 26 years a member of the Baptist Church:--was kind and affection to all, lived an exemplary and pious life, and died in full assurance of a blessed immortality.  (Wednesday, May 8, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Judge Murray
Suicide from Love.--Judge Murray, of the Court of Muscogee county, Alabama, committed suicide about a fortnight ago, by blowing out his brains with a pistol.  The cause of this melancholy act was love.  The Judge was in Mobile only a few weeks before, as was the young lady to whom he was engaged, but on returning to Columbus, the father of the lady refused his consent to the union, which so operated upon Judge M’s disposition as to drive him to the commission of an act which has deprived the community in which he lived of a useful citizen, an upright Judge, and an honest man.  (Wednesday, May 15, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

His Majesty Charles John of Sweden
The Late King of Sweden.  His Majesty Charles John has ceased to exist.  He died on the 8th ult., at four o’clock in the morning.  His son and heir assumed the royal authority, under the style of Oscar the Second; and announced his intention of continuing the government of Sweden and Norway in the footsteps of his late father. The deceased, once Marshall Barnadotte, the only one of the sovereigns created by Napoleon who survived the crash of the Imperial dynasty was the son of a French innkeeper, and, at the breaking out of the revolution in 1789, held a sergeant’s commission in the guards.  He was created Crown Prince of Sweden through the influence of Napolean.  In 1812, he joined the allies against for the former leader, and, at the peace, was rewarded by the addition of Norway to his dominions, which he seems to have governed like a wise, sagacious, and benevolent monarch.  He was in the 81st year.  The present King of Sweden is aged 44 years and six months.  By his marriage with the daughter of Prince Eugene de Beauharnois, Duke de Leuchtenberg, he has four sons and one daughter.  The new Prince Royal is 18 years of age.  (Wednesday, May 22, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Piercy Green
In Sullivan, on Sunday, May 26th, Piercey Green, widow of the late Benjamin Green, in the 64th year of her age.  (Wednesday, June 19, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Hon. Almon H. Read
In this Borough, on Monday the 3d inst., after a lingering illness, Hon. Almon H. Read, aged 51 years.  Mr. Read, though a native of Vermont, has been a resident of this place [Montrose] and a Lawyer at the Bar in this county for nearly 30 years.  During the last half of this period he had filled various prominent official stations in this State, having been successively chosen for several years a Representative of this county--then a Senator from this district in the State Legislature--subsequently a member of the State Convention to amend the Constitution--then State Treasurer by the Legislature; and finally a Representative in Congress, (having been elected to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of the late Hon. Davis Dimock, jr.,) of which body he was a member up to the time of his death.  A few months ago Mrs. Read was followed to the grave in this place, and Mr. R. whose health had already became impaired, has ever since more rapidly declined, though he went to take his seat in Congress last winter.  He was compelled to leave it several weeks ago, and succeeded in reaching his home to die among his children, and follow his late worthy partner hence to the tomb, according to his late desires.  (Wednesday, June 19, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Jonathan Cilley
From the Lycoming Gazette.  Jonathan Cilley, a member of Congress from Maine, was challenged by James Watson Webb, Editor of the NY Courier--who was purchased by the U. S. Bank, in 1832, for $52,000--for speaking of Webb in debate in terms which he merited.  W. J. Graves of KY, a member of Congress and friend of Clay--was the bearer of the challenge.  Cilley replied that he did not consider Webb a gentleman, and refused to have any communication with him.  Graves, then, after consultation, endeavored to compel Cilley to reiract his assertion that Webb was not, in his opinion, an honorable man, and finding that he would not do so challenged him because he would not consent to admit that a notorious blackguard was a gentleman. Mr. Cilley informed Graves that in his opinion of Webb he did not wish to cast any disrespect upon him as the bearer of the challenge, and that he had not the slightest ill will towards him.  Graves says he consulted Clay at this stage of the proceedings.  Wise charged Clay with writing the challenge, which was worded in a manner to prevent any reconciliation, and Clay has never denied either having counseled Graves or writing the challenge.  Reverdy Johnson and Charles King, both whigs, hearing of the proposed duel, called upon Clay to interfere to prevent it, knowing that he could do so it he saw proper.  Clay informed them that he was the friend of Graves; and, we believe, stated that he had been consulted by him and that he could not interfere, but that they would have time to do so the next morning.  These gentleman saw plainly that the death of Cilley was determined upon, and if accomplished that it would bring disgrace upon all concerned in it, as well as upon the whig party, therefore they sought to prevent it.  The next morning Cilley was a corpse. On the same day two clergymen of Washington city, having heard of the contemplated duel, started for the court room for the purpose of obtaining warrants to arrest the parties.  On their way they met Mr. Clay, and having great confidence in him, mentioned their business.  Clay told them to rest easy--to go to no further trouble--that he would prevent the duel--that he would stand between the parties, if necessary, and that they must shoot him down first before he would suffer them to fight--or words to that effect.  After receiving the solemn assurance from Mr. Clay, the clergymen turned round and went to their homes.  They were well aware of the influence Clay possessed over Graves, and that it was in his power to do what he promised.--The next day Cilley lay bleeding upon the ground--his wife was a widow and his children were fatherless. We wish our reader to observe that Messrs. King and Johnson called upon Clay on the very same day that he pledged himself to the clergymen to prevent the duel, and that he informed Messrs. Johnson and King that he could not interfere!--This is the man the whigs wish to vote for, and this subject cannot be too often discussed by the democratic papers.  (Wednesday, June 19, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Capt. William Lindsley
In Lindleytown, Steuben county, NY, on the 24th ult., Capt. William Lindsley, aged 55 years.  (Wednesday, July 3, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Joe and Hiram Smith
Death of Joe Smith, the Mormon Prophet.  An extra from the office of the Warsaw Signal, dated June 27th, states that both Joe Smith and his brother Hiram has been that while attempting to escape from prison--Gov. Ford, leaving a strong body of soldiery and a large anti-Mormon force to guard the prison at Cartharge, left on the 26th with about 120 men for the purpose of taking possession of Nauvoo and the arms belonging to the Legion; 2000 stand were immediately surrendered upon his arrival, and all then being quiet, he left about 5 o’clock to camp a few miles from the city.  Soon after Gov. Ford left Carthage, a Mormon attempted to rush through the guard, and on being repulsed; fired a pistol, wounding one of the men.  A general scene of confusion then ensued, a number of Mormons attempting to gain the prison, while Joe and his fellow prisoners, who by some means had been provided with arms, commenced firing upon the guard from within.  In the confusion Joe attempted to escape from the prison window, and had almost effected his purpose, when he was fired upon by a portion of the guard, and 100 balls entered his body.  He fell a lifeless corpse.  His brother Hiram shared the same fate. The most intense excitement prevailed.--It was feared that the Mormons would be so exasperated that Gov. Ford and his small force would be massacred.  The citizens were leaving Warsaw by every means of conveyance, it being feared that it would with Carthage be burned to the ground. (Wednesday, July 17, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Dwight E. R. and Joseph S. Hoard
In Mansfield on the 17th inst., of Scarlet fever, Dwight E. R., son of Joseph S. and Laura M. Hoard, aged 2 years and 5 months.  “So, fides the lovely, blooming flower, Frail, smitting solace of an hour;  So soon our transient comforts fly, And pleasure only blooms to die.  Is there no kind, no healing art, To sow the anguish of the heart?  Spirit of grace, be ever nigh; Thy comforts are not made to die.”  (Wednesday, July 24, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Enos A. Nichols
In Wellsboro’, August 12th, after a short illness, Mr. Enos A. Nichols, aged 30 years.  (Wednesday, August 14, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Henry A. Muhlenberg
From the Democratic Union of Aug. 13.  The arrows of death fall thick and fast around us!  Scarce has the fatal javelin ceased to vibrate in the heart of one victim, ‘ere the “King of Terrors” has sped another from his exhaustless quiver, to execute his office of destruction.  On the present occasion we have a duty to perform of peculiar solemnity.  A great and good man is no more!  Hon. Henry A. Muhlenberg, the Democratic candidate for Governor of this Commonwealth, died at his residence, in Reading, Pa., on Sunday afternoon last, of an apoplectic stroke.  It is the general impression of his neighbors, that the recent foul calamnies uttered against Mr. Muhlenberg, by the Federal press, weighed heavily upon his perhaps too sensitive spirit, and produced this catastrophe. He had passed through a long career of eminent private and public usefulness, and his reputation had never, until now, been made the subject of vituperation.  He was a man of high and noble bearing, alive with the keenest emotions of honor, and has probably sank under the fiery ordeal of Federal persecution.  We do not envy the feelings of his traducers. Mr. Muhlenberg’s departure is not alone an irreparable loss to his family, of which he was the idol, but will be seriously felt by the people of the whole Commonwealth.  He had served his immediate district, ably and faithfully, in the United States Congress, and represented the interests of the Nation, with signal fidelity, at the Court of Austria, but there was still another sphere of usefulness waiting to receive him.  The Democratic State Convention, which convened at Harrisburg, on the 4th of March last, placed Mr. M. in nomination for the office of Governor, and had it pleased Providence to prolong his life, he would certainly have filled the Executive office the next three years.  But this pleasant hope is now, alas, forever blasted.  It hath pleased the Almighty to translate him to “another and better world,” in the hour when his countrymen were about to entwine still fresher laurels around his brow.  But yesterday he stood on the loftiest pinnacle of fame, attracting the admiration and envy of all-now he sleeps in the narrow tenement, from whose gloomy depths the humblest recoils with mysterious horror!  What a fearful realization of the words of the inspired Psalmist: “Promotion cometh neither from the East, nor from the West, nor from the South, but God is the Judge, He putteth down one, and settleth up another.  By on inscrutable dispensation of Divine Providence, our friend and fellow citizen, Hon. Henry A. Muhlenberg, has suddenly been removed from this life.  But yesterday he was mixing among the busy throngs of men, full of vigor and in a state of health, promising long years of honor and happiness to himself, and of usefulness to society.--to-day he is laid low in Death, and the places that have known him shall know him no more.  We cannot speak of him now as we could wish.  Our mind, distracted with the grief which pervades this whole community, is incapable of addressing to the people more than the simple announcement of their loss. The circumstances which attended this melancholy bereavement, are these: Several gentlemen from abroad had been passing the last evening with Mr. Muhlenberg, at his house, where they remained until probably about 10 o’clock.  When they left he accompanied them to the front door, at which, after they were gone, he seated himself upon a chair, as was his custom, to enjoy the coolness of the night breeze.  Several gentlemen who passed between that and half-past ten or later, saw him sitting there. At about eleven he was found prostrate and insensible upon the step--with his head down, stricken with Apoplexy.  Every effort that medical skill could suggest was made--but in vain.  He never spoke after he was discovered, but remained insensible until he expired, which was at four o’clock this afternoon. The remains of Mr. M. were committed to their last resting place on Wednesday Morning, at 10 o’clock.
(Wednesday, August 21, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Henry Spencer Miles
Deceased, August 3rd, Henry Spencer, aged four months, son of Henry and Huldah Miles, at the residence of his grand-father J. G. Spencer, Esq., at Spencerville.  Rest in peace, thou gentle spirit, throned above, Souls like thine, with God, inherit life and love.  (Wednesday, August 21, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Benjamin Coleman
In Elmira, NY, on the evening of the 9th inst., Benjamin Coleman, formerly of Tioga Village, but lately of Williamsport, Pa., in the 27th year of his age. A more mysterious and afflictive Providence seldom occurs.  A large circle of kindred and friends have been deprived of one of gifted and cultivated powers and remarkable loveliness of disposition.  All who knew him, felt his charms, and freely yielded him their hearts.  He suffered a long and distressing illness.  None but those whose privilege it was to minister to his wants, can have an idea of the severity of his pains.  Every part of his person became keenly sensitive, and the operations to which he submitted, seemed the refinement of torture.  But never did so much as a murmur escape from his lips; and it was deeply affecting to witness his anxiety to suppress the faintest emotion of uneasiness, particularly as indicated near his last moments, when he earnestly inquired whether on impatient expression had escaped him.  It was a great satisfaction to be able to assure him that nothing of the kind had ever been heard. Previous to his illness, he was a peculiarly admirable young man; but he soon became convinced that merely natural endowments would not avail at the tribunal to which he was hastening.  He felt the plague of his heart as well as of his body, and the desert of his sins, as well as the consequences of his disease.  For a time, a spirit of resignation to the divine will, seemed to be the ground of his hope;--but this was abandoned, and his position taken on the Rock of Ages.  To this he firmly cleaved, and by this he was wonderfully supported amid the rackings of pain and the convulsions of death.  A prized Bible was always seen at his side, and he could never be induced to accept of any other book as even a temporary substitute for this.  As his best friend, that same bible lay nearest him when he entered the valley of the shadow of death.--The realities it describes, are this moment, we doubt not, and forever will be his joy and his praise.  (Elmira Republican.)  (Wednesday, October 30, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. and Mrs. Kelsey
Tragical Occurrence.--The Meadville (Pa.) Republican, records an awful tragedy which recently took place in Coneaut township, Crawford county.  On the Friday the 4th inst., a Mr. Kelsey, left his residence as he alleged to transact some business with a neighbor about a mile distant, but not returning, on Saturday a search was commenced, when he was found in the woods near his house with his throat cut, and a razor still in his hand.  He was taken home and an ineffectual effort made to close the incision--Report was rife in the neighborhood that in constancy of his wife was the cause of the rash act, still she was night and day by his bedside, attending to his wants, and not a murmur was heard to escape her lips.  On the evening of Monday the 11th, with those feelings which injured female innocence can alone appreciate, she declared to Dr. Lake the attending physician, that she could not brook the thought of the world’s suspicions that misconduct of her part had driven her husband to attempt to take his own life.  Soon after she left the room.  The next morning she was found about forty rods from the house, a corpse.  She had taken poison.  Up to the 17th the husband was still living, the partially deranged.  There was no hope of his recovery.  They have left three children the youngest a child of two years.  (Wednesday, November 6, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Terrible Steamboat Explosion
Explosion of the Lucy Walker--60 to 80 Killed and Wounded!  The Louisville Morning Courier of the 24th ult., furnishes us with the following account of a most heart-rendering catastrophe: It is with feelings the most acute and painful that we record the following fearful disaster, and the loss of so many, valuable lives.  The steamboat Lucy Walker, Capt. Vaun, left this place for New Orleans yesterday, crowded with passengers.  When about four or five miles below New Albany, and just before sunset, some part of her machinery got out of order, and the engine was stopped to repair it.  While engaged in making the necessary repairs, the water in the boilers got too low, and about five minutes after the engine had ceased working, her three boilers exploded with tremendous violence, and horrible and terrible effect. The explosion was upwards, and that part of the boat above the boilers was blown in to thousands of pieces.  The U. S. Snag-boat Gopher, Capt. L. B. Dunham, was about 200 yards distant at the time of the explosion. Capt. Dunham was immediately on the spot, rescuing those in the water, and with his crew rendering all the aid in his power.  To him we are indebted for most of our particulars.  He informs us that the Lucy Walker was in the middle of the river, and such was the force of the explosion, that parts of the boilers and the boat were thrown on shore.  Just after the explosion, the air was filled with human beings and fragments of human beings.  One man was blown up 50 yards, and felt with such force as to go entirely through the deck of the boat.  Another was cut entirely in two by a piece of the tire boiler.  We have heard of many such heart-rendering and sickening accidents. Before Capt. Dunham reached the place where the Lucy Walker was, he saw a number of persons who had been thrown into the river, drowning.  He however saved the lives of a large number of persons by throwing them boards and ropes, and pulling them on his boat with hooks.  Immediately after the explosion, the ladies cabin took fire, and before it had been consumed, she sunk in 12 or 15 feet water.  Thus is presented the remarkable circumstance of a boat exploding burning and sinking, all the space of a few minutes.  The screams and exclamations of the females, and those who were not killed, is represented as distressing and awful.  We believe none of the females on board were injured--some, however may have been drowned.  The books of the boat were destroyed and of course it will be impossible ever to ascertain the names or the number of those killed. There were at least 50 or 60 persons killed or missing, and 15 or 20 wounded, some dangerously.  Capt. Dunham left the wounded at New Albany, all of whom were kindly and well cared for by the hospital and humane citizens of that town.--Captain Dunham deserves the thanks of the community for his humane and vigorous exertions to save the lives of, and his kindness and attention to the sufferers.  He stripped his boat of every blanket, sheet, and every thing else necessary for their comfort. Mr. John Hixon and Mr. Henry Rebee, passengers on the Lucy Walker, deserve notice for the coolness and their efficient exertions in saving the lives of the drowning persons.  The following are the names of the dead, missing and wounded, so far as we have been able to learn them.  Killed and Missing:  Gen. J. W. Gegram, of Richmond, Va.; Samuel M. Brown, Post Office Agent of Lexington, KY;  J. R. Cormick, of Virginia;  Charles Donne, of Louisville; Philip Wallis, formerly of Baltimore; Rebecca, daughter of A. J. Foster, of Greenville, Va.; James Vanderburg, of Louisville; Mr. Hughes, formerly of Lexington, KY;  Mr. Matlock, of New Albany, engineer of the steamboat Mazeppa;  Nicholas Ford, formerly of this city; David Vann, the Captain; Moses Kirby, pilot; Second mate; second clerk; second engineer; bar keeper and three deck hands; names not known; Four negro firemen.  Wounded:  W. H. Peeblee-very badly hurt; Mrs. Rufus, of Va., do; First Engineer, do; Capt. Thompson, pilot--arms fractured; Mr. Roberts of Phila, slightly hurt.  It is supposed that John N. Johnson and Richard Phillips were on board--if so, they are lost.  The boat was owned by Captain Van, of Arkansas, and was insured.  (Wednesday, November 6, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

James Garnett
Love and Suicide--A young man named James Garnett committed suicide at his room in Gravier street, New Orleans, recently, by taking laudanum.  From a letter written by him previous to his taking the fatal dose, explaining the cause of the act, it appears there was a lady in the case.  (Wednesday, November 6, 1844, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Beautiful Inscription.  During a recent visit to Laurel Hill Cemetery, near Philadelphia, while wandering around, among the sculptured monuments, we saw upon a plain slab of marble these simple yet beautiful words:  Our Mother; She taught us How to live and How to die.  This is no doubt the tribute of affection which some motherless children have paid to their parent, and the few words employed, express more than could a volume of praise.  She taught us how to live.  How vast a field is embraced; the fear of God, early piety, love for one another, meekness and forbearance, faith, hope, love and charity; all the graces which adorn the Christian character, seem to be combined in one short sentence.  She imparted those to her children, and by teaching them “how to live,” she taught them how to die.  Would that every mother’s epitaph might be written by her children in such a sentence.  It is a light upon the memory of the deceased which casts its reflections upon the living.--Ex. Paper.  (Wednesday, January 6, 1847, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)
Thomas Leon
Killed.--A man named Thomas Leon, in the employ of Mr. Wellington, was on Saturday last, killed instantly by the falling of a tree, on the premises of A. C. Bush, Esq., on Mill creek.  The deceased was a native of Ireland, and lately a resident of Essex county, NY.  The only relative the deceased had in this country, as we learned, was a sister, who resides somewhere in the State of Vermont.  Every attention was paid by those gentlemen in whose employ the deceased had been, in having the body interred in the most respectful manner, at Tioga Village.--The funeral took place on Sunday lat, and was attended by a large number of the citizens of that town.  (Wednesday, February 12, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Capt. Jesse Locey
Died.--In Middlebury township, Tioga Co., Pa., Capt. Jesse Locey, a Revolutionary hero, in the 86th year of his age.  (Wednesday, March 19, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Ephraim B. Gerould
In Covington, on Tuesday, the 22d inst., Ephraim B. Gerould, long a resident of this county.  (Wednesday, April 30, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

General Jackson
Andrew Jackson is dead. How these simple words will thrill through the Union and the world.  The bern and statesman expired full of hope in the Redeemer, at his residence in the State of Tennessee, on Sunday evening, the 8th of June.  In the morning he had swooned away but towards evening he revived again, and calling his friends and domestics around his dying bed, spoke an affectionate farewell to all; and soon after his spirit took its flight to the God who gave it.  We feel as if a guardian genius had been taken from this country--his watchfulness for her interests, but impetuosity for her honor, his devoted anxiety for her prosperity, and his never-tiring energies of mind bent upon her and her alone, made him a beacon light to all.  The feeling that the great man of the age is gone is universal.  He has no one with whom he can be assimilated or compared--he will find, in all time to come, a place in the hearts of his countrymen, close to the permanent abiding place of George Washington.  Over his grave let the voice of partly be forever silenced, and the cry of faction forgotten.  The magnitude of the calamity baffles the power of language, and were volumes to be written, they would not express the deep sublimity of that single sentence.-- “Andrew Jackson is dead!”  From the Daily Keystone.  Death of Gen. Jackson.  We have the melancholy duty of informing our readers of the death of Andrew Jackson.  He expired at the Hermitage on Sunday afternoon, the 8th inst., at 6 o’clock. Our country will mourn, her people will doubtless feel, the loss of--a patriot of pure and lofty views, of upright and magnanimous sentiment, of frank, honest, fearless and independent character, of--a statesman whose highest ambition was to serve, with all his abilities, a country for which, in peace or in war, he cheerfully yielded all his energies of mind and body--a warrior, who in defence of his country and in honor of her flag knew no fear, and covered again with glory the American arms--a man who, in all relations of life, manifested at once the kindness of his heart, with the iron sterness of his disposition--and when in positions of authority or power, decided on a course he thought right, and took the responsibility attending it.  Few names connected with American History will live as long in the gratitude and respect of the people as that of Andrew Jackson.  And now his sun has set, which, when at its meridian height, shed lustre on the American name, and illuminated with the brightness of American Democracy.  The whole people with one accord must say a great and good man has been gathered to his Fathers. General Jackson was born on the 15th of March, 1757, in the Waxhaw settlement, South Carolina, near the North Carolina line, and was therefore on the day of his death in the 79th year of his age. We hope the most appropriate honors will be paid to his memory, so that his death may serve, as his life was devoted, to awaken the people to a just appreciation of their rights, and a resolute determination to maintain them.  (Wednesday, June 25, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. James Knowles and others
Fatal Accident.  There was an exhibition of fireworks in the rear of the President’s Mansion, Washington City, on the evening of the 4th.  The U. S. Journal says:-- “A half dozen rockets, supposed to be top-heavy, or disarranged on the frame, went off together, taking a horizontal inclination, in various directions, like so many fiery arrows.  One passed the heads of horses attached to a carriage, when the animals frightened, ran at full speed, separating the dense throng standing in the street, at the imminent peril of life.  A black woman, we were told this morning, was struck by a rocket, the stick penetrating below the shoulder joint, and in consequence of the wound has since died.  Mr. Sutton Magee had his wrist dreadfully wounded, and his children were scorched.  Mr. James Knowles, who had been married but a short time, was sitting with his wife, on the wall, far, as they supposed, from danger--the distance between them and the pyrotechnics being about a fourth of a mile--but one of the rockets, after skimming along the heads of the crowd below, struck him on the left breast, directly over the heart.  His wife, it is related, discovered the calamity as she saw him falling from her side, and in a moment drew out the stick.  He died instantly, without a struggle.  The most piteous and harrowing lamentations filled the air from one thus, in the twinkling of an eye, reduced to widowhood; and as she was led through the graveled walks, with her white garments stained with the blood yet warm, her cries-- “He is dead, oh; my husband, he is dead!! caused a general outburst of sorrow from the thousands, who, with her, were hastily leaving the tragic scene.”  (Wednesday, July 16, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. William Backe
Died.--In Wellsboro, on Wednesday, the 9th, Mr. William Backe, aged 74 years.  (Wednesday, July 16, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Miss Rosalie Huelbig and bridal party
A bridal party drowned.--On the 11th ult., Miss Rosalie Huelbig, her mother, two sisters, and Miss Dressel, were drowned in the Kaskaskia river, Illinois, which they attempted to cross on their way to Prairie du Long.  Miss H. left home that morning with a bridal party, to be married to Mr. E. H. Kettler, who with his friends were waiting at his residence, some miles distant to receive his bride.  Being alarmed at the delay, he proceeded to the river, where he saw the father of the young lady, who was on the river bank, with the five corpses lying near him.  The father was nearly frantic with grief.  The corpses were taken to the house of the intended bridegroom, and the marriage festivities were changed to funeral rites.  (Wednesday, August 6, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

John Stewart
Another Murder.--On Saturday night, 19th ult., John Stewart, of Nippenose bottom, near Jersey Shore, was killed in an affray, by John Hunt, of Lock Haven.  Hunt is a brother-in-law of Stewart.  All that is known is from Hunt’s own confession, who says that Stewart and himself quarreled as they were going out to the field for Hunt’s horse, about 11 o’clock at night.  That in the affray he drew a dirk knife and stabbed Stewart.  The knife entered the left breast, cutting off a rib and penetrating the heart.  Hunt went to Jersey Shore, and next morning gave himself up to the authorities, and is now confined in the jail at Williamsport.  (Wednesday, August 6, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. William Kendall
Homicide.--Mr. Wm. Kendall, son of Amos Kendall, Esq., was recently shot dead in Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, by Rufus Elliott, brother-in-law of John C. Rives.  (Wednesday, August 27, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Clark T. Johnson
In Covington, on the 21st ult., at the residence of his brother, Clark T. Johnson, late of Richmond, Va., aged 35 years.  (Wednesday, September 3, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Judge Joseph Story
We have the painful duty to announce the death of Joseph Story, L. L. D., one of the Justices of the U.S. Supreme Court, and Dane Professor of Law in Harvard University.  He expired at his residence in Cambridge on Wednesday evening, at a quarter before 9 o’clock.  His pulse ceased to beat, and his hands were cold before 8 pm.  His disease was stoppage of the intestines, or strangulation, the same sickness which ended the life of Mr. Legare in this city in 1843.  Judge Story was 65 years of age.  He graduated at Harvard University in 1798, and was appointed to the Judgeship of the United States Court by President Madison in 1811.  He has filled a high office in the judicial service of his country, and a higher station in the public eye, and he has left a space which will not be easily filled.--Keystone.  (Wednesday, September 24, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Rev. Mr. Powers
Fatal Accident.--We regret to learn that the Rev. Mr. Powers, pastor of the M. E. Church in this place during the past year, was run over by a pair of frightened horses near the Painted Post, on Sunday last, and so severely injured that he died in about six hours after the occurrence.  (Wednesday, October 1, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Hon. John White
Suicide of the Hon. John White.  Former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives.  The Lexington, KY, Observerer of Wednesday, Sept. 24, says-- “Our city was thrown into great consternation yesterday morning, by the intelligence from Richmond, that the Hon. John White, of that place, had on Monday evening committed suicide by blowing his brains out with a pistol.  We have no further particulars than that some time in the forenoon of Monday, he told his family that he would retire to his room, and wished to be private--not to be interrupted.’  He did so and about 3 o’clock the report of a pistol was heard, and upon going into the room it was found that he had put an end to his existence by placing a pistol against his right temple, and blowing a ball through his head.  Pecuniary embarrassment is assigned as the cause, though nothing had been discovered, when our informant left, which indicated the reason.”  For some months Mr. White’s health had been very feeble, accompanied by great depression of spirits.  He had left an amiable wife and several interesting children to lament the loss of a husband, father, protector.  (Wednesday, October 8, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

S. B. Coleman
In this village of Tioga, on the 6th inst., S. B. Coleman, son of Charles S. and Charlotte Spencer, aged two years, seven months and eleven days.  (Wednesday, October 8, 1845, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site 03 NOV 2006
By Joyce M. Tice