The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings - Page Two Hundred Forty Seven
Obituaries on this page are From the Tioga Eagle and the Wellsboro Agitator 1857 through 1858
1857 Wellsboro Agitator

Dr. Gleason
Dr. Gleason shot, who lectured in this place about 1 ½ years since, and sojourned for a time in Elmira, was shot by his own wife somewhere in the interior of Tennessee a few weeks ago.  It appears that the Doctor had abandoned his wife, and was living an illicit life with another woman.  His wife became enraged at his conduct, and proceeded, with a revolver, to his residence, where, finding the guilty couple in bed, she shot the recreant husband.  He expired instantaneously.--Brad Reporter.  (Thursday, January 22, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Dr. Harvey Burdell
Mysterious murder in New York.  One of the most atrocious murders on record came to light on Saturday, in New York city.  Dr. Harvey Burdell, and eminent Dentist and Surgeon, residing on Bond street, was found, about 8 o’clock in the morning lying dead on the floor of his office, in the 2nd story of his house.  He was last seen alive late on Friday afternoon.  When the death was first ascertained, it was announced in the afternoon papers that he had died suddenly from the bursting of a blood vessel.--But a Coroner’s inquest has revealed a shocking state of affairs.  It seems from the evidence, that Dr. Burdell was very wealthy, being worth about $100,000.  He was a bank director, and an active man among the medical fraternity.  He owned the house he lived in, which was a large and handsome four storied brick building, with marble steps, doorway, window frames, etc.  The interior was superbly furnished.  He was a bachelor.  The basement was occupied as a kitchen and dining room.  The first floor had two reception rooms, and the second floor had the doctor’s office and bed room.  The house was kept ostensibly as a boarding house by a Mrs. Cunningham, with whom boarded the Doctor, her two daughters, and two single gentlemen. The Doctor only slept and breakfasted there, taking his meals at the Metropolitan Hotel, it being proved in the evidence that the Doctor and Mrs. Cunningham maintained a suspicious connection, and that they had quarreled and talked about parting.  Mrs. C. produced before the jury a certificate of marriage with Dr. Burdell, which was attested to by the officiating clergyman.  When the body of the Doctor was found it was perfectly saturated with blood, as was also the carpet of the room, the doors, walls, chairs, etc., being covered with blood, showing evidently that a desperate struggle had occurred.  The body contained 15 deep wounds, made with a knife eight inches long in the blade; one of these wounds severed the carotid artery, and must have completed the murder.  The others were stabs in various parts of the body and cuts upon the hands, face, etc., as though the murderers had cut him as he warded off the blows or seized the door knob.  Around his throat was the mark of a cord, which must have been drawn tightly, and the lungs were found to be full of air; so that it is clear that the attempt was first made to strangle him with a rope thrown over his head from behind, after the manner of the street garotte.  From the appearance of the room, he seems to have been sitting in his chair, when some one came from behind, evidently from the closet door.  The design probably, was originally to strangle him, and then carry out the body, and leave it somewhere in the street, as though done by a garotte banditti.  From the room, the marks of blood were traced up along the entry and stairs into the 4th story, into a store room where lay a man’s bloody shirt and night shirt, and a bloody sheet.  From there the blood was traced into the front room of the same story, where, upon the floor, the stains had been carefully covered with spermaceti.  A grate in that room had contained a fire during the night, which had evidently been extinguished suddenly by pouring water upon it, as the coal was only partially consumed, and the mantle etc., were covered with ashes  In this story the murders must have cleaned themselves.  It appeared in evidence that the Doctor was jealous of one of the male boarders, a Mr. John Eckle, whom he seems to have detected in secret with Mrs. Cunningham.  On Friday night Mrs. Cunningham went with this man down into the basement, and told the servant girl to go to bed.  She went.  The next morning Mr. Eckel did not appear at breakfast, though he usually did so.  The knife found in the room where the murder was committed, is said to have belonged to him.  Mrs. Cunningham confessed in her evidence, the sending the servant to bed, and also admitted that Eckel was with her.  The minister who married her could not identify Burdell as the man to whom she was married and said that he supposed at the time that the person wore false whiskers.  Burdell’s name was wrongly spelt in the certificate. It has been ascertained that on the morning when the murder was discovered, Mr. Eckel left the house at an early and unusual hour to proceeded to his place of business.-- Mrs. Cunningham followed in a carriage, and he stood talking with her ½ an hour or more at the carriage door, opposite his factory.--He was seen to give her a roll of bills.  This transpired before breakfast. The Deputy Coroner, in the course of investigation, found Mr. and Mrs. Stevens residing at No. 87 Mercer street, who were intimate friends of Dr. Burdell.  Mrs. Stevens had been in the habit of visting Dr. Burdell for the purpose of having her teeth fixed, and for medical relief for two years or more.  Dr. B. had frequently spoken to her of his affairs, and remarked that Mrs. Cunningham desired to force him into a marriage. She also referred to Eckel, calling him Van Dolan, as having been frequently spoken of by the Doctor.  Dr. Burdell had frequently expressed himself as being afraid to remain in the house at night. The Doctor had told Mr. Stevens that he feared for his (Burdell’s) life, and had also spoken of Mr. Eckel, alias Van Dolan. George V. Snodgrass, one of the two male boarders in the house, testified that the bloody shirt found in the store room, belonged to a friend of his in the country, whose name it bore--that he had borrowed it while visiting at his friend’s residence.  It had been thrown in the store room to be washed.  He swore that he went down stairs that night about 11 o’clock.  (Thursday, February 12, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Penniman
Death of Mr. Penniman.--Mr. E. A. Penniman, a well-known citizen of Philadelphia, died yesterday, at the Girard House, of a cruel and lingering disease.  For many months past Mr. Penniman had been suffering without the cause of his complaint being exactly known, and on a visit to some of his relatives in the northern part of the State, it was discovered that he was afflicted with a hopeless cancerous affection, and he returned here in expectation of the sad event which has now taken place.--North American, Feb. 10th.  (Thursday, February 26, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Raphael Greeley
Horace Greeley’s only remaining son, Raphael Uhland, died at his father’s residence in New York, on Saturday evening, of croup, after an illness, of a few days.  Mr. Greeley, who had been from home during the past two months--lecturing throughout the West--returned to his residence about 2 hours after the death of his son.--El. Adv.  (Thursday, March 12, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Charles Blanchard
On Monday, March 9th, of scarlet fever, Charles, son of Oliver H. and Emily J. Blanchard, aged 3 years.  (Thursday, March 19, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Emily Bullard
In Woodhull, Steuben Co., NY, Mrs. Emily Bullard, wife of Rev. W. Bullard, April 3d, aged 46 years.  The subject of this notice had been long and severely afflicted with consumption, during which she was sustained by a well grounded faith in the future immortality of all men which also afforded her a joyful triumph in the hour of death.  (Thursday, April 9, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Charles Harris
Horrible Accident.--A man sawed in two.--The London (C. W.) Free Press says that on Wednesday of last week, a most shocking accident occurred in a circular saw mill at Wallsingham.  Charles Harris, a young man lately married, had just been employed that morning to work in the mill and was set to carry away the boards as they dropped from the saw.  He was cautioned against the danger of letting a board touch the saw while in motion, but the unfortunate man has taken away but a few boards when the end he had just taken up swayed against the saw, and being repelled with violence, caused the other end to force him against the saw, then in full motion, and, as quick as thought, he was cut in twain.  The saw struck first the point of the left shoulder, passing directly through the heart, and out under the ribs on the right side of the body.  (Tuesday, April 14, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Thadeus M. Munn
At Slide Island, April 13th, Thadeus M. Munn, adopted son of A. T. and Emeline Olmstead.  (Tuesday, April 14, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Lewis Eugene Niles
In Middlebury, April 28th, Lewis Eugene, only son of Jefferson and Susan Niles, aged one year and nine months.  (Tuesday, April 14, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Coleman J. Bull
We are sorry to learn of the sudden death of Mr. Coleman J. Bull, late Editor of the Columbia Spy.  He died at the Washington Hotel, Columbia, on Thursday morning of last week.  He was a gentleman of more than ordinary talent.--Columbia Spy.  (Tuesday, April 14, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mary Ann Edwards
In Charleston, April 29th very suddenly, Mary Ann, infant child of D. G. and Elizabeth Edwards.  (Thursday, May 7, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Ida F. Kelley
In Charleston, March 21st, Ida F., daughter of Thomas and Athaline Kelley, aged 1 year, 3 months and 3 days.  (Thursday, May 7, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

George E. Updike
In Jackson, April 8th, George E. Updike, in the 10th year of his age.  (Thursday, May 7, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

James Wright Locke
In Geneva, Wisconsin, April 13th, James Wright, only son of Daniel and Clarrissa Locke aged 1 year 7 months.  (Thursday, May 7, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Judge Butts
Death of Judge Butts.--we learn from the Corning Journal that Judge Butts, of Lawrenceville, Pa., died recently at Memphis.  He had formerly resided in that city, but a year or more since returned to Lawrenceville for a permanent residence.  He went to Memphis a few weeks ago to close up some unsettled business, but was taken sick immediately on his arrival and died from typhoid fever.  He was a gentleman of ability and was highly esteemed.  (Thursday, May 21, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Anna Dickinson
Wednesday morning, May 27th, Anna Dickinson, daughter of John and Mary Dickinson, aged 13 years.  The deceased was a bright and pleasing girl.  Her summers have been few.  She has passed from earth after having suffered the trials of a child, but having enjoyed the pleasures of a christian.  She saw the world mainly as it presented itself in the peace and purity of the family relation; and with a happy ignorance of the strife and wickedness of the earth, she has gone to her Heavenly home with the knowledge of God as her Father, and Jesus Christ as her “Elder Brother.”  Her sickness though not accompanied with acute pain, brought with it many distressing feelings no less difficult to be endured.  Her behavior, during it, was becoming to a Christian child.  She sought to restrain the impulsiveness of youth and to regulate her conduct according to a divine rule.  She honored her parents, and loved them with fervor--repaying them for their toil, by her words and looks of affection.--Her religious sensibilities were called into action by the felt presence of Him who says with unfailing tenderness, “Suffer little children to come unto me”; and so she was sustained and soothed.  Even the fresh verdure and the blooming flowers diffused joy and strength through her soul.  They were pleasant to her because they were tokens of the Heavenly Father’s love, and they were sweet promises of the ever blooming pleasures which the Lord has prepared for them that love Him. We mourn not for her.  She has received an early discharge from the varied and oftentimes difficult duties of life.  And though the surviving may not complain because they endure the heat and burden of the day; they may not sorrow either because those whom they love have been counted worthy to receive a better portion.  We shall go to her, but she will not return to us.  May the Lord mortify and kill all vices in us, that by the innocence of our lives and constancy of our faith even unto death, we may glorify His holy name through Jesus Christ.  (Thursday, June 4, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Cyrus Harmes
Shocking and Fatal Accident.--A most distressing and fatal accident occurred on Wednesday afternoon at the paper mill of J. H. Dunz, at Eden, about three miles from this city, which resulted in the death of a young man, named Cyrus Harmes, in the employ of Beecher & Bro.  A new pulp engine, which had just been finished for the paper mill, was put in operation for the first time.  The young man was learning the moulding business with Messrs. Beecher, and about four o’clock in the afternoon, he went to the water wheel for the purpose of checking its speed in order to put on the fan belt.  Wishing to clean the rack which is set in the bay above the water wheel to keep the rubbish out, and not finding the rake in its place, he went into the paper mill to look for it.--In attempting to pass between the wall and a large belt wheel, he missed his footing, and fell on the pulley, which caught his thigh between the abutment sill and the edge of the pulley, a space of about 1 ½ inches, mangling it in a shocking manner, and literally tearing the leg off close to the abdomen.  Medical aid was called in, but his system had received so severe a shock that it was not deemed advisable to amputate the limb.  He lingered until about midnight.--Lancaster Intelligencer.  (Thursday, June 25, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Gideon R. Freeman
At Covington, Wednesday June 3d, of Cardiac Rheumatism, Gideon R. Freeman, aged 19 years.  (Thursday, June 25, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Hon. Wm. L. Marcy
Hon. William L. Marcy, late Secretary of State, died very suddenly at Ballston, NY, at noon on the 4th of July.  Shortly after breakfast he complained of a pain in his side, and walked to the office of a physician, but not finding him in, he returned to his room at the hotel.  The doctor came in a few minutes after, and on going to Mr. Marcy’s room found him lying upon the bed with an open book upon his breast. Judge Marcy was in his 71st year, having been born Dec. 12, 1785, in Stowbridge, Worcester county, Massachusetts.  After completing his academic course in his native town he entered Brown University, Providence, RI, and graduated there in 1808.  During the war with Great Britain in 1812 and 1814, Mr. Marcy served as a volunteer in the defence of his State.  He was in the U. S. Senate less than two years, when he resigned, being elected Governor of New York, in 1832.  He was twice re-elected, viz:  in 1834 and 1839; but on a 4th, nomination, in 1838, he shared in the defeat of the democratic party, and William H. Seward was elected over him.  After retiring from the executive chair Mr. Marcy principally devoted his attention to his private business, until Mr. Polk became President in 1845.  He was then offered and accepted the office of Secretary of War, and was considered through the four years of his service one of the most influential members of Mr. Polk’s cabinet.  In the death of Gov. Marcy we have lost one of our ablest statesmen.  The Tribune says:  “That he never approved nor countenanced the violation of the Missouri Compact; and this is all the foundation there ever was for the Southern report that he was about to join the “Black Republicans.”  Had he yielded to his natural impulses in 1854, resigned his seat in the Cabinet, and placed himself at the head of the opposition to Douglas’s Nebraska policy, he might perhaps, have died President of the United States.  But Gov. Marcy was trained in that outspoken political school which holds in better to be wrong in the Democratic party than right out of it, and he lived and died in conformity with that error.” He was buried on Wednesday from the Pearl St. Baptist church to which he was attached, the ceremony being attended by the highest officers in the nation and an immense concourse of mourning people.  (Thursday, July 16, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Caroline Kimball
On Saturday evening, July 18th, Mrs. Caroline Kimball, aged 46 years.  (Thursday, July 30, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Lemuel Royce
In Delmar, July 24, Mr. Lemuel Royce, in the 77th year of his age.  (Thursday, July 30, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Joann Spencer
In Union on the 6th of June last, Joann, wife of Chas. O. Spencer, aged 41 years.  (Thursday, July 30, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Eunice H. Lindsley
At Lawrenceville, Tioga Co., Pa., June 21st, 1857, in the 59th year of her age, Eunice H. Lindsley, widow of the late Eleazer Lindsley.  The deceased was daughter of Jeremiah and Elizabeth Halsey, of Long Island and was born April 2d, 1769.  She was married in 1787 and removed to Morristown, the resident of her husband.  In 1790 her husband’s father, Col. Eleazer Lindsley, having purchased what was then township No. 1 in the town of Painted Post, Steuben county, NY--on what is now Lindsleytown, removed further with his family.  The county was then new--an unbroken wilderness except here and there a spot which had been cultivated by the Indians.  One rudely constructed building served for a time as the common abode of the colony.  (Thursday, July 30, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

James Alonzo Smith
In Gaines township, on the 8th inst., James Alonzo Smith, aged 37 years.  Mr. Smith leaves a wife and five children to mourn the loss of husband and father, but we trust their loss is his everlasting gain.  He experienced religion about eight years ago, and united with the Wesleyan Methodist Connection in Charleston, and remained a member until removed by death.  (Thursday, August 27, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Willie Bache
On Saturday, Sept. 26, Willie, only son of William Bache, aged 7 years.  (Thursday, October 15, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Male Davis
In Charleston on the 12th ult., a son of Wm. Davis aged 3 years.  Mr. Davis came to this country about 9 months ago, leaving his wife and two children in Wales.  Mrs. Davis came over about 2 ½ months ago.  During the passage her younger child died, and was buried in the ocean; and while stopping for a while at his uncles in Charleston, the remaining child died, leaving them childless and among strangers.  (Thursday, October 15, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Gabriel Barnes
Man lost--found dead in the woods.  On Tuesday of last week, Mr. Gabriel Barnes of Oswayo township, in this county, started out hunting.  Not returning that night, his friends felt anxious, but did not exert themselves to discover his whereabouts until the next morning, when they began to inquire among the neighbors to learn whether any one had seen him.  Nothing was heard of him all that day and night, and on Thursday morning a few of the neighbors started out in search of him, but did not find him.  A general rally was made on Friday morning, and about 200 men spent all day in searching for him on the various courses he was thought to have taken, but were unsuccessful.  An arrangement was made for the next day, and the company were separating, when a few persons who waded the Oswayo Creek a few rods south of Mr. Robbins.  The body of Mr. Barnes about 15 rods from the creek, lying upon the face, and without any appearance of a struggle or wound.--His gun was about four rods behind the body, one barrel of it discharged, and the cap on the other tube exploded.  It also had the appearance of having been used as a support in wading the creek. Mr. Barnes waded the creek, at a well known ford for footmen at the mouth of Post Hollow, and was going directly towards Mr. Robbins Brown’s house, about 1 ½ miles below Millport, and was within 60 or 70 rods from the house when discovered.  Mrs. E. L. Graves heard the report of a gun and a man hallo about 9 o’clock on Tuesday night, and called the attention of her husband, (they being in bed) to the fact; but he told her it was the hands of Burdick’s saw mill, a short distance off.  It is supposed to have been Mr. Barnes in distress. It is supposed that Mr. B. being much exhausted by a hard day’s travel, was chilled by the water, his strength gave way and he died on Tuesday night.  He was buried on Saturday.  He leaves a large family and circle of friends to mourn his loss.--Potter Journal.  (Thursday, November 5, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Ludwick Hart
In Charleston, Nov. 11th, Mr. Ludwick Hart, aged 70 years and 22 days.  The subject of this notice had been a resident of Charleston for 21 years.  He acted while living, the part of a good citizen and husband and parent and his example as a christian must ever reflect upon his memory as a man of good judgment and correct thinking.  His funeral was attended on the 14th by numerous sympathisizing friends.  (Thursday, November 26, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Israel Kelsey
In this boro, on the 6th inst., Mr. Israel Kelsey, aged 26.  (Thursday, December 10, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Mary Jane English
In Brown, Lycoming Co., on the 6th inst., Mrs. Mary Jane English, aged 21.  (Thursday, December 10, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Hollis Butler
In Delmar, on the 10th inst., Hollis, son of Hartford Butler, aged 17 years.  (Thursday, December 17, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Eli E. Burlingame
At Pillar Point, Jefferson co, NY, 3d instant, Mr. Eli E. Burlingame, aged 26 years and 4 months.  Seldom indeed has a young man given brighter promise of a life of exalted usefulness than the deceased.  At the age of 18 he left the paternal roof with aspirations for an education, and as a means to that end, went to work in a brick-yard in this village.  When his earnings were sufficient, true to his exalted purpose, he expended them in attending school.--When he became qualified to teach he became an assistant teacher in the Jefferson County Institute, and from an assistant he speedily rose to the head of the Mathematical department.  Pursuing his classical studies while teaching, he was prepared in the ordinary course of time to enter college, and with indefatigable public industry as a student and teacher, supplied himself with funds by teaching, not only to defray his own expenses in college, but also to aid two younger sisters to the advantages of an academical education.  He graduated with full honors at Union College in July, 1856.  The confinement of his studentship and the exhausting labors of the school room stimulated the disease latent in his constitution, and which for the last 10 months of his life made its sure and stealthy approaches, deluding its victim, but warning his friends that his earthly career, though opening in bright promise, was to be short of duration.  He died in the faith of the Gospel of the Son of God, with a wide circle of relatives and friends lamenting his death, though cherishing and honoring his memory.--New York Reformer.  (Thursday, December 24, 1857, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Deborah Fox - [SRGP 08988] See Mainesburg Cemetery Obit page

1858 Wellsboro Agitator

S. M. Putnam
In Little Falls, Morris Co., Minnesota, Oct. 1st of Typhoid fever, S. M. Putnam, in the 24th year of his age.  The subject of this brief notice was born in Covington, Tioga county, Pa., where he remained until about two years since, when, with a mind well stored with knowledge, or great attainments in addition to his superior natural powers, he left the home of his nativity, and a large circle of friends for the purpose of gaining a more extensive knowledge by becoming acquainted with a wider range of objects.  (Thursday, January 21, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Wm. H. Larrison
In Clymer, Jan. 8, 1858, Wm. H. Larrison, youngest son of William and Sarah Larrison, aged 22 years.  (Thursday, February 4, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Miss Mary E. Emery
Disappointment and suicide.--A Miss Mary E. Emery, a school teacher of spotless character committed suicide by taking strychnine, at Okaloosa, Iowa, on the 10th inst.--She was engaged to a wretch named Dascomb, and the wedding day was appointed, but the night before the ceremony was to be performed he absconded with a woman of bad repute.  The suicide left a letter giving full instructions as to her burial and showing that her determination was cool and deliberate.  The man Dascomb had a family living in Elmira, NY.--Rochester Democrat.  (Thursday, February 11, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Anna Morris
At her residence in Germantown, Pa., Tuesday, Jan. 26, Anna Morris, wife of the late Samuel Morris, aged 67 years.  (Thursday, February 11, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Miss Elizabeth Richards
In Wellsboro, on the 8th inst., Miss Elizabeth Richards, aged 27 years.  (Thursday, February 11, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Willie Kimble
In Wellsboro, Tuesday, the 16th inst., Willie, infant son of Henry S. and Lucetta B. Kimble, aged ? months and 23 days.  (Thursday, February 25, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Jacob Frick
Death of an editor.--We are pained to announce the death of Jacob Frick, Esq., one of the Editors and Proprietors of the ?.  This melancholy event occurred Friday evening last, at his residence in Northumberland county.  Mr. Frick some time past has been laboring under attack of pulmonary consumption, and his death was not unexpected.  He was be about, almost to the very hour of his disease.  The deceased was a son of the late Gen. Henry Frick, who was at one time Representative in Codgress from this and who established the Miltonian, in .  Mr. Frick was 34 years of age, and leaves many friends to mourn his loss.--Pittsburgh Gazette.  (Thursday, March 11, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Monroe Stewart
Monroe Stewart, who was convicted of murder, at Pittsburg, and pardoned by Gov. Packer, died, of small pox, on Tuesday.  (Thursday, March 18, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Nellie Marsh
In Gaines, on the 21st ult., infant daughter of D. K. and S. C. Marsh.  (Thursday, March 18, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Reuben Hall
In Farmington, March 13, infant son of Reuben T. and Mary Ann Hall.  (Thursday, April 1, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Ellen Clymer
In this village, 28th ult., Ellen, daughter of Wm. B. and Mary Clymer, aged about 15 months.  (Thursday, April 1, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Newberry E. Guernsey
In Tioga, 27th ult., Newberry E., son of Joseph W. and Julia Guernsey, aged about 21 months.  (Thursday, April 1, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Jno. Forbes
Fatal accident on the Tioga R. R.--A sad accident occurred on the Tioga Railroad, Thursday afternoon, 1st inst., near Lindley, by which the Engineer, Mr. Jno. Forbes, was so severely injured that he died the night following.  We are informed that the engine was thrown from the track by three spikes, place upon the outside rail in a sharp curve, by some evil-minded person.  The engine capsized, pinioning Mr. F. beneath it in such a manner that he was roasted alive.  He was extricated immediately and lived and retained his senses, though suffering excruciating pain, until about 2 o’clock, Friday morning.  Mr. J. Dillistin, Depot Agent at Tioga, obligingly writes us touching the matter, as follows:  “Our lamented friend died at the house of Den. Middlebrook, Lindleytown, Friday morning at 2 o’clock, aged 31.  He was a native of Scotland and had been in the employ of the Tioga R. R. Co., as engineer on the Passenger Train, between five and six years; and by his gentlemanly demeanor had won the respect and esteem of all with whom he was associated.  He was a member of the Baptist Church at Corning and gave the most satisfactory evidence of his fitness to meet his God, during eight hours of agony.”  The deceased leaves a family to mourn his loss.  The fireman was slightly scalded.  (Thursday, April 8, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Charles Davis
Horrible death.--Charles Davis, a lad about 14 years of age was drawn into the rolls of McKnight’s Rolling Mill, in Birmingham, Pa., about 7 o’clock, on the morning of Thursday last.  It was his duty to pull up the door of the heating furnace whenever the roller wanted the heated iron to be run through the rollers.  The accident occurred by his sleeves catching, when he started to get a drink of water.  He was drawn into the rollers and death followed in an instant, and presented a most horrible sight.  His body was most dreadfully mutilated.  His head alone escaped being marked.  (Thursday, April 22, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Martha Lewis
In Charleston, April 16th, Mrs. Martha Lewis, aged 61 years.  [Sister Lewis was a highly esteemed member of the Charleston Baptist Church, she having submitted herself to Christ in early life, and has spent more than two score years in the service of God--She arrived in this country with her family, from Wales, in August 1831.  In this her adopted land she has been called to follow her husband and two sons to the grave, but the religion of Christ sustained her in affliction, and she has finally fallen asleep in Jesus, leaving two daughters and their families to mourn her loss.]  (Thursday, April 22, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Leander Culver
In Charleston, April 23, Leander, son of Joel Culver, aged 16 years.  (Thursday, April 29, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Joseph Barlow
Sad death.--The Susquehanna county Republican states that Joseph Barlow, an Englishman, aged about 61, who had long been a beloved Congregational clergyman, at Franklin, in that county, lost his life in a shocking manner, on Saturday night in May.  The family were aroused about midnight, and found the house was on fire.  Approaching the kitchen where the fire appeared to have originated, Mr. Barlow opened the door, when the flames burst out upon him, and he probably inhaled a portion of the flame as he immediately sank down, and showed no sign of life afterwards.  His wife tried in vain to pull him out, narrowly escaping herself and the house and its contents were consumed.  His charred remains were found where he fell.  (Thursday, June 10, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Abner Peake
On the 22d of April, in Charleston, Mr. Abner Peake, aged 68 years, 8 months and 10 days.  (Thursday, June 10, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Peter Lutz
In Liberty, Tioga Co., June 1st, of a protracted chronic disease, Peter Lutz, aged 51 years.  Mr. Lutz was formerly a resident of Lebanon Co, Pa.  He was a consistent member of the M. E. Church for the last 12 years, and departed this life with a full assurance of meeting his God in peace.  (Thursday, June 10, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Martin Bowen
At his residence near Knoxville, on the 5th inst., Martin Bowen, in the 70th year of his age.  During a residence of nearly 30 years in this community, Mr. B. was highly esteemed for his determined opposition to Slavery and all kinds of oppression, and firm devotion to the rights of humanity, for his strict integrity of character and true moral worth.  Patience under suffering, and calm submission to the dispensation of Divine providence, (traits so characteristic of the denomination of Friends, to whose religious belief he was an adherent), he constantly displayed under sorrowful affliction, while within the period of 10 years, lingering consumption swept one by one, six children (a son and five daughters) to their graves.  Himself, the 7th victim to the same disease, has peacefully and resignedly gone to his rest.  Many friends and acquaintances will long remember his amiable conversational eccentricities, and the community deplore the departure from our midst of a kind neighbor, a useful citizen and an honest man.  His funeral was attended by a numerous audience, and an appropriate sermon delivered by Rev. N. L. Reynolds, from 1st Cor, xv., 26.  “The last enemy that shall be destroyed, is death.”  (Thursday, June 10, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Ilsley, Wife, and Eight Children
Sad calamity at Roscoe, Illinois.  The telegraph briefly announced the terrible accident at Roscoe, Ill., on the night of the 31st inst., by which the family of Rev. Mr. Ilsley, consisting of his wife and eight children, were, with his dwelling swept away.  The special reporter of the Rockford Register, on arriving at the spot, visited the woolen factory and Mr. Thompson’s residence, where the bodies of those who had been recovered were lying.  In the factory he saw the corpses of the eldest son and daughter, Horatio T. and Charlotte E. Ilsley, aged 17 and 15.  These two were evidently killed by the ruins of the house, the son having his chest broken in, while the daughter’s neck, head and face were very much bruised and disfigured.  In Mr. Thompson’s he found the bodies of another daughter, Susan C., aged 7 years, and a babe, Charles M., aged 6 months.  These were probably from their appearance drowned.  These four bodies were found on Friday morning in the ruins of the house; the other four children and the mother have most likely gone out into the river.  Mr. Isley, on being rescued, was conveyed to the residence of Mr. Abbott, where every possible attention was paid him, and everything possible done to make him physically comfortable. He describes the scene of the disaster as follows:--The South Kinikinie runs through the village, emptying itself about a quarter of mile below, into Rock river.  Some half a mile on the other side of the village, the Beloit Branch of the G. & C. U. R. R., crosses the creek, spanning it by a small culvert.  The road is at this point an embankment of some 30 or 35 feet in height; above the railroad extends an immense “flat,” or rather a basin.  A portion of the village had been built on the bank of the creek, each house having a garden spot running out even with the edge of the bank.  The Rev. Mr. Isley’s house was a two story brick, standing a short distance from the bank, and between the woolen factory and the creek-- Mrs. Thompson’s residence facing it on the other side of the factory. Before a jury of inquest, Rev. Mr. Isley gave the following narrative of this fateful occurrence: The rain commenced to fall at about 5 o’clock on Thursday afternoon, and increased in force until about 10.  At this time they did not feel alarmed--although the creek was rising very rapidly; they did not know anything about the railroad or the culvert then at 9 o’clock the water was up around the house, and rushing by with great force; Mr. I. proposed to his family to leave the house but as men who were in the neighborhood had told them they had seen the water much higher than it was now, they concluded not to go out.  Having concluded to remain in the house, the five younger children were sent to bed, and shortly after the balance of the family met in the lower room, and had prayers, preparatory to retiring also.  The other children then went up stairs, and Mr. Isley proposed to his wife to remain up a short time longer.  This must have been 11 or 11 ½ o’clock.  Just after the three children went up, there was a great rush of water past the house, and Mr. I. went to the hall door with a lantern and looked out.  He found the water rushing by with tremendous force on all sides of him and coming in at the door.  He called loudly for help several times, but the water was too deep, and rushing with such tremendous force that no one could get near the ill-fated house.  Mr. Isley called to Horatio, the eldest son, and ran upstairs immediately.  She then called to her husband to come up, which he did, and opening one of the windows again screamed for help, but in vain.  At this time he was just coming out of his study, and was standing in the entry, when he heard the children cry out, “Father, Father,” and at the same moment he saw one end of the house fall out with a crash.  He then felt the whole house swaying up and down, like a boat on a wave, and then it fell into ruins.  Just as it fell, he heard his wife scream, and that was the last he heard or saw of his family.  He immediately found himself in the water, not knowing how he got there, and without the power to help himself, was tossed about and hurried along with great velocity to the river; he took in some water then, but had presence of mind enough to guard against taking in any more, and try to keep his head above water. His own simple and touching words best describe his feelings at this awful moment, and show his faith in that God he so long has served:  He said, “I then commended my soul and family to God, expecting to meet Him and them in eternity in a moment, and I almost wish I had.”  He was carried on until he struck against some flood wood, and soon after was thrown against a tree, into which he climbed, and managed to maintain himself for some two hours, during which time the people had discovered him, and were making a raft to rescue him, when Mr. Richardson swam out to him and got hold of him just as his strength failed, and he was dropping off the limb. The family thus suddenly cut off have only resided in Roscoe a short time, Mr. Isley having come from Beloit to take charge of the Congregational Society in that village.  The family consisted of 10 persons--father, mother, four sons and four daughters.  The eldest son was engaged in the Bank of Marshall & Isley, in Milwaukie, and was home on a visit.  J. P. Isley, of Milwaukie is his uncle. At daylight on Friday morning, search was commenced for the bodies; and soon four were found.  The babe and youngest girl were found, on the bed upon which they laid down the night before, and the other two near by.  When the babe was found it held in its hand on its breast the watch which his brother had given it the night before to play with, and strange to say, the watch was uninjured and still going.  (Thursday, June 24, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Harvey Wood
Distressing Casualty!--Our little community was overcast, with gloom, at noon of Friday last, on receipt of the startling intelligence that Mr. Harvey Wood, one of our most respected citizens, had perished by the frightful accident to the Night Express on the Erie Road the night previous. We publish the Tribune’s account of the accident in another place, and need not here enter into details.  On receipt of the dispatch, Mr. Henry Wood, son of the deceased, accompanied by Mr. Wm. T. Mathers, immediately set out to recover the body, lying at Port Jervis.  They returned with the remains on Saturday at noon, and the funeral, from prudential reasons, took place in the evening, following. In the death of Mr. Wood, our community has lost one of its most honorable and upright members, and the world a strictly honest man.  His suddenly bereaved family have suffered still greater loss in his death.  He was a husband and a father in the very best sense of those sacred relations, and the even tenor of his domestic relations, was the subject of frequent remark among those who knew him well.  Words cannot heat the heart bereaved of such a husband, nor can they comfort the hearts of children bereaved of such a father.  Time and a firm trust in the Strong Arm which encircles all, from the greatest to the least, alone can accustom the stricken family to the vacant chair in the home circle. Mr. Wood came among us something more than a year ago to reside permanently.  He was a native of Worcester county, Mass., and removed hither from the town of Webster, in that county.  He was returning from a business visit to that place when this sudden and dreadful death overtook him.  It is enough to say that those who knew him best will miss him most.  He was about 44 years of age.  It is probable that this catastrophe resulted from carelessness on the part some person or persons connected with the train; but we have no expectation that any investigation will make this appear.  Five persons are hurried from life without a moment’s warning and half a hundred more maimed and mangled, and “nobody’s to blame.”  (Thursday, July 22, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Mary Willard
In Charleston, on the 28th ult., Mary, wife of Joseph Willard, aged 36 years.  (Thursday, August 5, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. William Montgomery
Found dead.--We learn that during the latter part of week before last, Mr. William Montgomery, formerly a resident of this place, and father of Hon. William Montgomery, was found dead beside a haystack in West Finley township, near the Virginia line.  It is not positively known in what manner he came to his death, but from the fact of two whiskey bottles being found near the body, it is presumed that he killed himself by the excessive use of intoxicating liquor.  He had procured a quantity of liquor in Triadelphia, Virginia, a day or two previously.  It is not known how long he had been dead before his body was discovered.  His remains were interred in a graveyard in the vicinity.  The age of the deceased was about 70 years.--Wash. Examiner.  (Thursday, August 26, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. John Hockaday
Horrible death.-- Mr. John Hockaday, of Warrensburg, a harness maker, early on Sunday morning last, went into his bedroom where his wife lay and in a hurried and embarrassed manner, with his hand placed upon his throat, endeavoring to tell his wife some thing, with incoherent exclamations, and in a moment hastily turned round two or three times and quickly passed into an adjoining room.  His wife seeing he was in distress, immediately sprang from the bed and followed him just in time to see him lie down on the floor, and after one or two faint efforts at breathing, die.  As too often with sudden deaths, his death was attributed to disease of the heart, but a post mortem examination revealed the fact that the deceased had choked to death.  A piece of partially chewed beef, of the size of half a large hen’s egg, was found in the windpipe, which the deceased had been chewing,  probably upon some sudden start, had been drawn through the larynx into the windpipe, from whence its size prevented its being ejected by any means in the sufferer’s control.--Glen’s Falls Free Press.  (Thursday, September 2, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Ida Crowl
In Springfield, Bradford county, Monday morning, 18th inst., Ida, daughter of Andrew and Sarah Crowl, of this village, aged 8 years.  She left home on the Friday previous in charge of some relatives residing in Bradford county, and while descending a hill two miles west of Springfield Centre, on Saturday, the horses took fright and ran away, throwing the occupants from the carriage and injuring the subject of this notice fatally and two others seriously.  Ida was taken up insensible in which state she lingered until Monday morning, when her gentle spirit took wing for the Better Land.  Ida was one of those quiet and womanly children whom to see is to love.  She was a womanly child when we first knew her, four years ago quiet unobtrusive, yet not averse to the sports and pastimes of childhood.  She is taken in the morning of her youth and beauty and her vacant place will wring the hearts in which her sweet face will never grow old, but let the bereaved parents be comforted in the knowledge that she has escaped the bitter sorrows and the buffetings of an existence chequered at the best.  (Thursday, September 23, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

George W. Hathaway
In Tioga, Oct. 17, of typhoid fever, George W. Hathaway, aged 2 ½ years.  (Thursday, November 18, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Hansen Hathaway (?)
Also, on the morning of the 27th, of typhoid fever, Hansen (?) Hathaway, aged 15 years.  (Thursday, November 18, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Richard Goodwin
In Middlebury, on the 10th inst., Mr. Richard Goodwin, aged 98 years.  (Thursday, December 16, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Sophia Jeannette Hoyt
In Wellsboro, on the 10th inst., Sophia Jeannette Hoyt, wife of Mr. Joseph Hoyt, and daughter of Col. Levi Chubbuck, aged 27 years and 8 months.  (Thursday, December 16, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Female child Griffin
Frightful accident!--We have just received a few of the particulars of a shocking occurrence involving the horrible death of a little daughter of Mr. Josiah Griffin, of Charleston township, Monday afternoon.  Mr. Griffin was preparing some highly inflammable substance over the stove, when the compound suddenly took fire and drove those present out of doors.  The house was soon in flames.  The little girl, eight years of age, chanced to be in the chamber and was found at the foot of the stairs almost entirely consumed.  Mrs., G., was severely injured by burning, her clothes being destroyed in her frantic efforts to rescue the child.  This is a terrible blow.  (Thursday, December 30, 1858, The Agitator, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site 03 MAR 2007
By Joyce M. Tice
Email Joyce M. Tice

You are the visitor to this page of obituaries since the counter was installed on 03 MAR 2007
Deb JUDGE Spencer typed these for us