Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1897 Tioga County History
Chapter 13 - Medical Profession
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
How to Use This Site
No Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce 
1897 Tioga County History Table of Contents
Retyped for Tri-Counties by Sheri Graves
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just this 1897 book by using the 1897 button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page


Introductory—Pioneer Physicians—Their Courageous Devotion to Duty—Brief Sketches of Prominent Physicians—The First Drug Store—Sketch of Dr. Robert Roy, Its Proprietor—"Brick" Pomeroy’s Reminiscences—The Tioga County Medical Association.

The family physician, in the exercise of his duties as such, comes into closer intimacy with his fellowmen than does the member of any other profession. There is no condition of life in which his services are not required. He is present at the natal couch and at the bed of death. His mission is to cure disease, ease pain and alleviate suffering. Confiding no less in his honor than in his professional skill, we freely admit him to the innermost sanctuaries of our homes, and make him the custodian of secrets and the repository of confidences such as we commit to the keeping of no one else outside the sacred precincts of the church. These he must henceforth keep locked within his own breast. The man worthy to receive such confidences may fall short of being the most skillful of physicians, but he must not, even in the slightest degree, fall short of meeting every requirement of professional honor. Whether admitted to the bedside of the young or the old, the poor or the rich, to the hovel or the mansion, he must be a gentleman, first, last and all the time. To the honor of the medical profession everywhere, be it said that the family physician, with rare exceptions, is a gentleman with a high standard of personal and professional honor.

The pioneer physician, though less educated and, perhaps, less highly polished than his brethren of to-day, was, nevertheless, unselfish, self-sacrificing and fearless in his devotion to his professional duties. He rode at all hours of the day and night, through summer’s heat and winter’s cold, over roads that were little more than pathways through the wilderness, willingly facing dangers and enduring personal discomforts, sooner than fail in the discharge of duty or forfeit the confidence reposed in him. In many instances, because of limited knowledge and a still more limited supply of simple remedies, he was compelled, in waging an unequal war against disease, to bring his common sense to the front, and make it do service in constantly recurring emergencies. This self-reliance resulted in building up an individuality, always marked, often peculiar, and occasionally eccentric. He learned to know the people, their ailments and their idiosyncrasies, and this knowledge had not a little to do with his success as a practitioner. As a rule, when he died he left behind him an honorable name and a limited estate as the principal heritage of his descendants.

The physicians of to-day begins practice with an equipment of medical and surgical knowledge such as it was impossible to obtain three-quarters of a century ago, or for that matter less than a decade ago. The wonderful discoveries of recent years, as to the cause and cure of disease, are the world-wide property of the profession, and the latest graduate from a reputable medical college enters the field of practical effort confident in his ability, so far as knowledge goes, to battle successfully with the most insidious and complicated ailments and diseases.

Formerly the physician contented himself with dealing with diseases, whether individual, epidemic or contagious, after they had manifested themselves. In the meantime his field has widened, and his influence grown more potent. He has become the conservator of public health; keeping cholera and yellow fever from our seaports; preventing the spread of epidemic and contagious diseases and confining them to the locality of their origin. To his efforts we owe our boards of health, sanitary laws and ordinances, and those hygienic rules, that, by their observance, tend to prevent disease, and thus dispense with his services. He has, in his medical societies and organizations, by rules of ethics, adopted for his own guidance, and by the passage of laws enacted at his solicitation, raised the standard of his profession, and shut out, from an opportunity to impose upon and deceive the public, the unprofessional charlatan and quack.

In all civilizations the physician holds a leading place. Even among barbaric and savage peoples he is a most important personage. The secrets of physical man are his and the ills of the community his care. His warning voice is constantly raised against excesses and his mind directed toward the alleviation of suffering in every form. His profession is, indeed, a saving one, and his life generally one of good works.

So far as known, Dr. William Kent Lathy is believed to have been the first regular physician to visit the territory of Tioga county. He was a young Englishman, a graduate of the College of Surgeons, London, and came to Muncy valley about the time of the formation of Lycoming county, through the recommendation of the celebrated Dr. Rush, of Philadelphia. Colonel Williamson, after founding Bath, made an effort to secure him as a resident physician, and invited him to visit the place. Dr. Lathy made the journey, traveling over the Williamson road. There were a few settlers at what are now the boroughs of Tioga and Lawrenceville. He did not remain long at Bath, but returned and settled at Williamsport in 1798, and became the first resident physician in that place. Dr. Lathy was acquainted with the Morris and Ellis families, and afterwards married a daughter of Samuel Wallis, a near neighbor of the latter.

When the English colony settled on the First fork of Pine creek, in Lycoming county, about 1805, their nearest physician was Dr. James Davidson, who lived at the mouth of Pine creek. He was a distinguished surgeon in the Revolutionary army, and was mustered out in 1783. He soon afterwards located at the mouth of the creek. His field of practice extended for many miles up and down the river, and far into the southern regions of what became Tioga county, until the settling of Dr. William Willard at Tioga in 1798. It is also likely that Dr. Samuel Coleman, who succeeded Dr. Lathy at Williamsport, about 1802, and remained there until 1808, made professional visits to the infant settlements in Delmar and at Wellsboro. His route would be by the State road from Newberry. In those days physicians made long journeys on horseback, with saddle-bags in which their medicines were carried, the roads not being in a condition for wheeled vehicles.

The first physician to locate in the county was Dr. William Willard. He was born in Lenox, Massachusetts, February 5, 1762; married Mary Rathbone, at Troy, New York, October 13, 1791; moved thence to Middleton, Rutland county, Vermont, in the winter of 1793, and finally to Tioga, in February, 1798. Here he built a square log house, which he opened as a tavern. He also opened a store, erected saw-mills and became the principal citizen and business man of the village which grew up about him, and which, until after his death, October 28, 1836, bore the name of "Willardsburg." During the later years of his life he gave his attention principally to his business affairs. He was the first postmaster at Tioga, serving from July 1, 1809, to April 1, 1815.

Ralph Kilburn, a brother of Judge Ira Kilburn, and a bachelor, settled at Lawrenceville in 1802, and practiced medicine there until 1840. He then went to live with his sister near Rochester, New York, and made his home with her until his death.

Eddy Howland, who settled in Deerfield township, in 1803, though not an educated physician, practiced medicine among the early settlers for a number of years with rare skill and success.

Dr. Simeon Power came into the county in 1805, and made a short stay at Lawrenceville. He then went to Knoxville, where he resided until 1808, when he removed to Tioga, then the principal village in the county. In 1815 he was elected sheriff of Tioga county and served three years. He was elected an associate judge in 1851, and served on the bench five years. About 1821 he returned to Lawrenceville, where he continued to reside and practice his profession until his death, December 19, 1863. His practice extended over a wide area and he was one of the best known of the early physicians.

Dr. Pliny Power, a brother of Dr. Simeon Power, came into the county soon after the latter, with whom he lived for a time. About 1822 he located at Canoe Camp, and a few years later at Tioga, remaining as a resident physician of the latter place until 1835, when he removed to Detroit, Michigan, where he passed the remainder of his life.

The wife of Reuben Cook, the pioneer of Cowanesque valley, and an early settler at Osceola, was for many years the accoucheuse of that section of the county, and as late as 1825 had a larger obstetrical practice than any physician in the valley. She was known far and wide as "Granny Cook," and her fee was invariably one pound of tea.

Jonathan Bonney, a one-legged man, was in Deerfield township about 1811. He came from Horseheads, New York, and was a practicing physician. Although he made several removals he never got beyond the reach of his Deerfield patrons. The name of Jonathan "Barney" appears in a printed copy of the census list of Tioga county for 1800. If, as it is reasonable to suppose, "Barney" should be "Bonney," this pioneer physician was in the county before 1800. He is designated as a "farmer" on the census list of that year.

Dr. Adolphus Allen, who came in 1813, was the first regular physician to locate at Osceola. He remained until 1816. About this time or, perhaps, earlier, a Dr. Beard located in Tioga, but remained only a short time. Dr. Stillman Cannon located in Mansfield in 1813 and practiced there two years. The name of "Hyram Cannon, physician," appears on the assessment list of Covington township for 1816, but is not found afterward. In 1816, also, Peter Faulkner’s name appears on the assessment list of Delmar township. He practiced a year or two in Wellsboro, and then removed to one of the western states.

The first physician to locate permanently in Wellsboro was Dr. Jeremiah Brown. He was born in Vermont, March 10, 1750, studied medicine with an older brother, and for several years practiced his profession in his native State. His first wife having died, he married Miss Sarah Ann Porter. About 1816 he came to Wellsboro, then a mere hamlet. The surrounding country was sparsely settled and physicians frequently had to make long journeys. He traveled up and down Pine creek, oftentimes answering calls as far away as Jersey Shore. Fevers were then the prevailing diseases and he had the reputation of treating them very successfully. Dr. Brown was a leading man in those days. He was elected a member of the first board of trustees of the academy in April, 1818, and re-elected in 1819 and 1820. He was also the first secretary of the board, serving one year. He built a good house in Wellsboro, but being overtaken by adversity he failed and his property was sold on judgments placed in the hands of Ellis Lewis, then a rising young lawyer of the place. He was a very careful physician, was much esteemed, and gave very general satisfaction to those who employed him. Mr. Emery, in his reminiscences of early times in Wellsboro, says: "I knew him, and can, with all others who were acquainted with him, bear testimony to his worth."

After his misfortune he retired to Pine Creek, now Ansonia, much broken down in health, where he died of consumption March 13, 1831, aged eighty-one years. He left one son, Dehaller, born in Wellsboro in 1817, and now residing in Kansas; also three daughters, viz: Priscilla, born in Wellsboro in 1819, who married Matthew Carpenter, and resides in Horseheads, New York; Henrietta, born in 1821, who married Col. Lewis G. Huling*, and lives in Williamsport, and Sarah Ann, born in 1823, who married Philo Catlin, of Cameron county, Pennsylvania.

*The dates and facts relating to Dr. Brown were obtained from his daughter, Mrs. Huling, of Williamsport. She is quite confident her father was the first resident physician in Wellsboro.

Dr. Curtis Parkhurst, who was born in Marlborough in 1794, located in Lawrenceville in 1818, and built up a large and lucrative practice. He was elected to the legislature in 1827, and re-elected in 1828. In 1840 he was elected sheriff of Tioga county, and appointed an associate judge in 1847.

Dr. John B. Murphey, another early physician of Wellsboro, was born May 1, 1791. Upon attaining manhood he studied medicine with an elder brother, then residing in one of the West India islands. He soon afterward came to the United States. on December 9, 1819, he married Cynthia Taylor, of Troy, and came to Wellsboro about 1823. Dr. Murphey evidently was an active and progressive man. He opened a store and sold drugs, and the court records show that on May 19, 1828, he was granted a license to keep a public house. It stood on the site of the present Coles Home. While conducting these different branches of business he did not neglect his profession, but was always busy attending to the wants of the sick. He died about 1833 or 1834. Some of his descendants, of whom Mrs. Williston is one, reside in Wellsboro.

Dr. Oliver Treat Bundy was born January 31, 1801, in Fairfield, Connecticut, the eldest of ten children. About 1807 the family removed to Oxford, Chenango county, New York, and settled. At the age of twenty-one he commenced studying medicine, and on January 30, 1826, he was licensed to practice, and settled in Wellsboro, where he followed his profession four years. During his residence here he married Lydia Smith. About 1830 Dr. Bundy removed to Windsor, Broome county, New York, where he attained prominence in his profession. He became the chief founder of Windsor Academy, and died at Deposit, Broome county, January 9, 1874, having almost reached the mature age of seventy-three years.

Dr. Ezra Wood was the pioneer physician of Rutland township, where he settled about 1823 and practiced his profession until his death in 1829. His practice extended also into Jackson and Sullivan townships. Dr. Dexter Parkhurst, a brother of the late Joel Parkhurst, of Elkland, located in Mansfield in 1824, remaining until 1830, when he removed to Mainesburg, where he continued to practice until his death in 1866.

Dr. Allen Frazer, Jr., the son of a pioneer of Chatham township, was born in Westernville, New York, in 1798. He graduated at Utica, New York, January 13, 1823, from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, of the University of New York. In 1825 he began the practice of medicine in Deerfield township, continuing until his death in 1872. He was the first one to suggest, and the chief promoter of, the movement resulting in the establishment of Union Academy, at Academy Corners. In 1834 he was commissioned surgeon of the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Regiment Pennsylvania Militia. He was also one of the early justices of the peace of Deerfield township.

Dr. Hibbard Bonney settled in Brookfield township in 1825 and practiced several years. Dr. Ethan B. Bacon was another early physician of this township. Dr. John Stinehofer practiced in Liberty from 1825 to 1828. Dr. D. H. Roberts was engaged in practice in Tioga in 1826. He appears to have remained but a short time. Dr. Richard B. Hughes practiced in Liberty from 1828 to 1842.

Dr. Lewis Darling, Sr., a native of Vermont, a graduate of Woodstock Academy and of the classical and medical department of Dartmouth University, came from his native State to Wellsboro in 1829 and practiced there until 1831, when he removed to Lawrenceville. Here he continued in practice until his death, July 15, 1882. Dr. Harvey Lyman located in Mainesburg about 1830, making a brief stay. About 1828 or 1830 Dr. Hiram B. Roberts settled at Daggett’s Mills and practiced medicine, in connection with other business, for a number of years. Ephraim Fuller located in Knoxville in 1830 and practiced one year. it was about 1830 that Seth John Porter, a physician and a Congregationalist minister, located in Elkland, where he organized a church. He remained until 1833 and combined the practice of medicine with preaching. About 1830, also, Dr. Burton Streeter began the practice of medicine at Westfield, continuing for a number of years.

Dr. Otis L. Gibson was a native of Croydon, New Hampshire, where he was born in 1807. He graduated from the Vermont School of Medicine in 1831 and came immediately to Wellsboro and began the practice of his profession. Just before leaving New England he was married to Miss Emmeline B. Parsons, a daughter of Capt. Luke Parsons, of Woodstock, Vermont, who afterwards removed to Wellsboro and died there. Dr. Gibson was one of the men who exercised an influence for good on society in Wellsboro and vicinity. He was one of the material promoters of a higher tone of thought and action, and was rather a model man in those times. He neither drank liquor, played cards, or used profane language, and had fewer bad habits than most people of his age and station. Colonel Kimball, the hotel keeper, once remarked that he thought the Doctor would add greatly to his popularity if he would unbend a little, take a drink once in a while with the boys, and not be so "stiff and particular." Mrs. Gibson was very much like her husband—a staid, matronly and non-gossiping woman, whom everybody respected. They were both Episcopalians while in Wellsboro, having been brought up in that faith in their native State. When Dr. Gibson commenced the practice of medicine in Wellsboro he belonged to what was called "the heroic school." He gave medicine in large doses, dealt out calomel profusely, physicked, bled and puked his patients without any compunctions of conscience. That was then the popular and approved system; and although he used the heroic treatment, he was quite a successful practitioner. He was careful, prudent and watchful, had a discerning mind and an excellent judgment, and generally knew exactly the moment to commence the building up process. Dr. Gibson also added materially to the wealth of Wellsboro. He built a number of houses on Covington street, which were just right for the purpose intended—cheap residences for small families. He also built one or two other houses which were larger and better. In all praiseworthy undertakings he did his part, and was a liberal contributor to his church. Dr. Gibson had two sons and two daughters. His eldest daughter became the wife of a Congregational minister in Connecticut, and the other wife of a business man in North Carolina. Lewis W., his eldest son, became rector of Christ Church in Dover, Delaware; Otis, the other son, studied medicine and settled in Minnesota. For nearly ten years before his death Dr. Gibson was a confirmed invalid. He died July 31, 1863, and his wife May 6, 1865.

Dr. Lewis Saynisch, a native of Switzerland, settled in Blossburg in 1831. In addition to pursuing the practice of medicine, he engaged in the mercantile and lumber business, and was one of the leading spirits in the movement that led to the development of the Blossburg coal field and the building of the Corning and Blossburg railroad. He was one of the organizers and an early president of the Arbon Coal Company. He died in Blossburg about 1856.

Dr. Thomas T. Huston settled at Tioga, then known as Willardsburg, in 1831. He was born in Carlisle in 1793, and was graduated from Dickinson College about 1820, among his classmates being Robert J. Walker and Gen. James Irvin. After leaving college he spent four years in the study of medicine and graduated from the Pennsylvania Medical College, Philadelphia. He then spent a short time with his parents in Williamsport, when he came to Tioga. He was attracted thither through the influence of his elder brother (then twenty-three years his senior) who afterwards became the celebrated Judge Charles Huston of the Supreme Court. Judge Huston then owned large tracks of wild land in the vicinity of Tioga. Dr. Huston, however, did not remain long here. He left in the fall of 1833 and located at Tioga Point (now Athens), because he married his wife there, and there he lived and practiced medicine over thirty years, dying May 14, 1865.

Allen Furman, a pioneer settler in Gaines, practiced medicine in that township for a number of years. Elisha B. Benedict, a physician and minister, located in Elkland in 1831 and practiced medicine there until his death in 1872. Harmon Whitehead practiced medicine in Covington during 1831 and 1832 and later in Mansfield. Dr. Thaddeus Phelps practiced in Knoxville from 1832 to 1834. In 1832 Dr. Francis H. White began the practice of medicine in Roseville. He afterwards practiced at different times in Mansfield and other places, but returned again to Roseville, where he continued to practice until afew years before his death in 1885. He attained the remarkable age of 106 years.

Dr. Milton P. Orton was born in Sharon, Connecticut, in 1795. He graduated from the classical and medical departments of Yale College, and in 1834 came to Tioga county, locating at Lawrenceville, where he practiced for nearly thirty years. He died in 1864, while surgeon in charge at Hatteras Inlet. Dr. Cyrus Pratt, editor of the Tioga Democrat, located in Tioga in 1835. During the three years he remained he paid more attention to his paper than to his profession. Dr. George Spratt located in Covington in 1835 and continued to practice there for a number of years.

In 1835 Dr. Joseph P. Morris located in Blossburg, coming from Philadelphia, where he was born in 1809. He appears to have devoted himself to business enterprises rather than the practice of medicine, until after his removal to Mansfield in 1842, where he remained until 1846, when he removed to Wellsboro. In 1854 he returned to Mansfield, and during the remainder of his life devoted himself to real estate interests and to the practice of medicine. He died December 17, 1892, aged eighty-four years. Dr. Levi Rose began the practice of medicine in Mainesburg in 1835, continuing a few years. From 1835 to 1837, Dr. Benjamin C. Morris practiced in Liberty. In 1836 Dr. Abel Humphrey, a native of Preston, Chenango county, New York, located in Tioga, continuing in practice for about fifty years, when ill health compelled him to retire. From 1836 to 1846 Dr. F. W. Krause practiced in Liberty, in which place, also, Dr. Jacob Raker, Jr., located in 1838 and practiced until his death in 1842. Dr. Harvey Leach began the practice of medicine in Chatham township in 1836 or 1837 and continued down to his death in 1862. His practice extended over a wide area and he was one of the noted physicians of the early days. In 1838 Dr. H. G. Smythe located in Mansfield and pursued the practice of his profession there for many years. Richard I. Jones practiced in Knoxville from 1837 to 1840.

In 1840 Dr. Albert M. Loop began the practice of medicine in Nelson, where he still resides and pursues his profession. He is now the oldest living physician in the county, and the longest in practice. He was born in Elmira, New York, September 12, 1816, and has been a resident physician of Nelson since 1840, excepting during two years—from 1854 to 1856—spent at Rock Island, Illinois.

Dr. Nelson Packer came to Wellsboro in 1838 and entered upon the practice of medicine and surgery. He was born December 8, 1814, at Norwich, Chenango county, New York, and was educated at Oxford Academy. After leaving school he studied medicine with Dr. Henry Mitchell, of Norwich, and was graduated from the Geneva Medical College in 1838. Capt. James Packer, father of the Doctor, was an old resident of Norwich, where he had settled early in the century. His ancestors came from Connecticut, and they were relatives of the family of Hon. Asa Packer, late of Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania.

When Dr. Packer came to Wellsboro, Dr. Otis L. Gibson was the leading physician, but as the population of the town and country were increasing, the assistance of another practitioner was required. From the start Dr. Parker was kindly received and through the passing years built up a good practice. In 1847 he was stricken with a severe illness, which threatened to develop into pulmonary consumption. He became so prostrated with weakness that his friends almost despaired of his recovery. His brother came from Norwich to look after him, and, seeing his condition, decided to take him home. It was in the midst of winter and a deep snow was on the ground. A sleigh was procured, a comfortable bed made therein, and the patient placed in it. By easy stages the journey was made and on Christmas Eve they reached home, but the Doctor was very ill and weak. His illness proved severe and he did not fully recover before the following June.

With restored health Dr. Packer returned to Wellsboro in the summer of 1848 and resumed his practice. His health continued good and he rapidly built up an excellent reputation for skill and success in his profession. He became known as the principal surgeon in the town and he was called to attend all critical cases in the borough and surrounding country.

Dr. Packer was an ardent Republican and always took a commendable interest in public affairs. He was intensely loyal and patriotic, and throughout the dark days of Civil strife gave an unswerving support to the government. In 1862 he entered the service as assistant surgeon and was stationed at Chesapeake Hospital, near Fortress Monroe. When the army lay at Harrison Landing, he was ordered there, and acted as surgeon of a New York regiment. He was soon after prostrated by malarial fever and jaundice and was obliged to retire from active duty. He reached home with difficulty, and so severe did his sickness prove that he did not fully recover for several months.

In 1864 Dr. Packer was appointed United States examining surgeon for Wellsboro, and when many years later the medical board was organized, he became its president, and filled the position with satisfaction to all and credit to himself. He was noted for sociability and geniality of temperament, and was a favorite with all who enjoyed his acquaintance. Cultured and refined, he was at home in the sick room, and his presence inspired confidence and hope. He died February 8, 1883, on the same day of the month in which he was born, in his sixty-ninth year. His loss was greatly lamented by the community, and all felt that their best friend and benefactor had been taken from them.

On the 15th of January, 1849, Dr. Packer married Miss Mary McDougall, of Lawrenceville, Tioga county. Her ancestors were residents of New York City, and her parents were early settlers at Lawrenceville. The union was blessed with two sons. The eldest, James M., was born November 6, 1849, and died January 1, 1869. The second, Hon. Horace B. Packer, resides with his widowed mother in Wellsboro. He is a prominent lawyer and politician, and his sketch will be found in the chapter devoted to the "Bench and Bar."

Dr. Packer was progressive as a physician and surgeon. It was principally through his efforts that the Tioga County Medical Society was organized, in 1860, and he served as one of its presidents. When the war broke out the organization was not kept up. On the restoration of peace, however, he was mainly instrumental in having it revived, and was active in promoting its interests until the close of his life.

Dr. David S. Roblyer practiced medicine in Roseville from 1841 to 1844 and then removed to Mainesburg, where he remained until 1850. Dr. Ralph I. Shepherd practiced at Daggett’s Mills from 1841 to 1843; Dr. Orson Gregory at Roseville during 1843 and 1844, and Dr. D. N. Hunt at Roseville from 1845 to 1850. Dr. William B. Rich was a practicing physician in Knoxville from 1843 to 1873. In 1843 Dr. Robert H. Archer located in Wellsboro and practiced there until 1847. He afterwards practiced for several years in Morris township. In 1845 Dr. Daniel McNaughton located in Westfield and continued to practice medicine there until his death in 1883. He was appointed postmaster of Westfield in 1861, which position he filled until the fall of 1871, when he was elected associate judge and resigned as postmaster. Dr. Frederick Reinwald practiced medicine in Liberty from 1845 to 1847, when he was killed by a panther, and Dr. L. K. Garfield from 1847 to 1856. Dr. Joel Rose was a practicing physician in Roseville from 1846 to 1863. Dr. H. H. Borden came from Steuben county, New York, in 1842 and located at Tioga. After studying with Dr. Abel Humphrey he began practice in 1847, continuing until his death in 1894.

Dr. Charles V. Elliott, a native of Sheshequin, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, began the practice of medicine in Mansfield in 1847. In 1856 he removed to Hudson, Wisconsin, and remained until 1859, when he returned to Mansfield, resumed practice and also opened a drug store, which he carried on in connection therewith until 1891, since which time he has been living retired. In 1847 Dr. Nathaniel Smith, who is still in active practice, located in Millerton. He is a native of Halifax, Windham county, Vermont, where he was born January 13, 1823.
Dr. Charles K. Thompson was born in Charleston township April 22, 1821, and died in Wellsboro September 11, 1888. He studied medicine under the direction of Dr. Otis L. Gibson and graduated from the Geneva Medical College in 1846. In 1847 he married Miss Sarah Gibson and settled down to practice his profession. On the breaking out of the Civil War, Dr. Thompson entered the army as a surgeon and saw much service. When peace was restored he was retained in the service and stationed for some time, in connection with the Freedmen’s Bureau, at Edisto, South Carolina. On leaving the United States service he returned to Wellsboro, and, excepting one year spent at Fall Brook, as resident physician for the Fall Brook Coal Company, he resided forty years in Wellsboro. In the fall of 1882 he was appointed one of the three physicians composing the board of pension examiners, which office he still held at the time of his death. He left one son, Charles O. Thompson, of Rochester, New York, and a daughter, Mrs. Emma Sauter, of Williamsport.

Dr. Henry Kilbourn was born in Shrewsbury, Vermont, in 1802, and graduated from the Vermont Academy of Medicine, February 10, 1828. In 1840 he came to Tioga county and located in Covington, and for over forty-five years practiced in that place and Blossburg, residing at different times in each place. He attained a wide reputation not only as a skillful and successful physician, but as an eccentric character and an inimitable story teller. Dr. Coburn located in Gaines in 1848 and practiced there several years.

Dr. William T. Humphrey was born in Bainbridge, Chenango county, New York, December 22, 1824. In the spring of 1848 he graduated from the Albany Medical College. From June, 1848, to January, 1849, he practiced in Addison, New York, and then removed to Elkland, Pennsylvania. Here he practiced until 1857, when he removed to Osceola, where he still resides and pursues his profession. Dr. Ira B. Foote, the pioneer homeopathic physician of the county, practiced in Wellsboro from 1849 to 1851. In 1850 Dr. W. W. Wright began the practice of medicine in Elkland, where he still resides and pursues his profession. He was born in Cairo, Green county, New York, March 31, 1830, and came with his parents to Tioga county in 1844, settling in Farmington. In 1848 he began reading medicine with Dr. Nelson Packer, of Wellsboro; attended lectures at Geneva Medical College, Geneva, New York, and graduated in the class of 1849-50. He has the reputation of being a successful physician and a skillful surgeon. John C. Bastian located in Liberty in 1850 and practiced there until 1852.

Dr. Jerome B. Knapp located in Knoxville in 1851 and practiced there until 1854. Dr. William F. Weseman began practice in Liberty in 1851 and continued up to a recent date, when he retired. In 1852 Dr. William M. Barden, the first homeopathic physician in Tioga valley, settled in Mansfield, where he built up a large and lucrative practice. He died September 30, 1884. Dr. J. H. Shearer, a native of Delaware county, Pennsylvania, and a veteran of the Mexican War, graduated from what is now Hahnemann College, Philadelphia, in the spring of 1852, and practiced in Wellsboro until 1855, when he removed to Springfield, Illinois. In 1859 he returned to Wellsboro, where he has since practiced his profession. Dr. Henry C. Bosworth, a native of Vernon, New York, where he was born March 8, 1811, graduated from Geneva Medical College in 1837, and practiced at Smithfield, Bradford county, until 1850, when he removed to Deerfield, Tioga county, and engaged in farming and merchandising, as well as the practice of medicine, until his death at Osceola, December 5, 1870. Dr. Ira W. Bellows practiced medicine in Knoxville from 1854 to 1870, since which time he has resided on his farm in Deerfield township.

Dr. Wellington W. Webb, a native of Chenango county, New York, received his medical education in Geneva Medical College, Buffalo Medical College and Castleton Medical College. In 1854 he began the practice of medicine in Liberty and continued until 1857, when he removed to Wellsboro and there practiced until his death in 1889. Dr. William W. Day located in Osceola in 1855 and continued to practice there until 1867. Charles Voorhees began practice at Daggett’s Mills in 1855 and continued until his death a few years ago. In 1856 Dr. E. S. Robbins located in Covington, where for the past thirty years he has practiced his profession. Luther W. Johnson, who was born in Wellsboro, May 4, 1833, graduated from the State University at Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 1856, and in 1857 began the practice of his profession in Liberty, continuing there until 1883, when he removed to Blossburg. Here he practiced with marked success until his death June 29, 1896.

Dr. George D. Maine, a son of the pioneer, John Maine, was born in Mainesburg, Sullivan township, July 24, 1826. He graduated from the medical department of the University of Buffalo in 1856, and one year later located in Mainesburg. Whence he has since resided and practiced his profession, with the exception of the time he was in the army. Dr. L. M. Johnson, a native of Steuben county, New York, located in Wellsboro about 1858 and practiced his profession with skill and success up to a few years ago, when he retired to his farm. He has lately resumed practice, and is now a resident of Wellsboro. Henry Kilbourn, Jr., a son of Dr. Henry Kilbourn, of Covington, practiced in that borough from 1859 until his death in 1888.

Dr. James Masten began the practice of medicine in 1849. Dr. Masten was born in Penn Yan, New York, May 26, 1827. He read medicine with Drs. A. F. & W. Oliver, of that place, and attended lectures at the Buffalo Medical College. From 1849 to 1860 he practiced at White’s Corners, Potter county, Pennsylvania, since which time he has resided and practiced in Westfield. He has not only achieved success in his profession, but is recognized as a prominent and progressive citizen.

Dr. Lewis Darling, Jr., was born in Lawrenceville, October 19, 1840, studied medicine under his father and attended the Medical College of Washington, D. C., for one year. He then entered the medical department of the service as an army surgeon, remaining until the close of the war, after which he became a student in the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, from which he graduated in 1866. After practicing in Cincinnati, Ohio, a few months, he returned to Lawrenceville, where he is still in active practice. From 1861 to 1880 Dr. J. E. Cleveland practiced medicine in Ogdensburg. In 1862 Dr. John M. Barden, a son of Dr. William M. Barden, the pioneer homeopathic physician, began practice in Roseville, continuing until 1881, when he removed to Mansfield, where he practiced until 1895, when he again took up his residence at Roseville. He still attends to his patients in Mansfield and vicinity.

Dr. Morgan L. Bacon was born in Charleston township June 19, 1837. He graduated from Union Academy, at Academy Corners, in 1857, and after teaching a short time began the study of medicine under Dr. Nelson Packer, of Wellsboro, continuing until 1861, when he entered the service as a hospital steward. In 1863 he began the practice of medicine in Mansfield, remaining there five years. From 1868 to 1870 he practiced in Blossburg and from 1870 to 1872 in Morris Run. In the latter year he removed to Wellsboro, where for twenty-five years he has continued in the active duties of his profession. He is known as an educated, skillful and successful physician. Dr. William Blackwell, a grandson of the pioneer, Enoch Blackwell, has been engaged in the practice of medicine at Blackwells since 1865. Dr. Nelson Ingram, a native of Ulster county, New York, graduated from Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, March 1, 1865. He practiced medicine and carried on a drug store in Blossburg for a number of years. John S. Fitch practiced at Stony Fork from 1865 to 1870. Dr. Adelbert J. Heggie practiced in Osceola from 1866 to his death in 1886.

Dr. Robert B. Smith, a native of Marathon, Cortland county, New York, where he was born August 23, 1840, read medicine under Dr. H. S. French, of Lisle, New York, and graduated from Long Island College Hospital in 1866, in which year he removed to Tioga, where he has since practiced with marked success. He was for three years president of the Tioga County Board of Pension Examiners, and is one of the best known physicians in the county. Dr. Daniel Bacon, a native of Delmar township, a son of Oliver Bacon and a grandson of the pioneer, Daniel Harvey Bacon, graduated from the University of Buffalo in 1860 and practiced medicine in Wellsboro until his death in December, 1880. Dr. H. A. Phillips located in Knoxville in 1867 and practiced until his death in 1877. Dr. O. P. Barden, homeopathist, a son of Dr. William M. Barden, practiced in Mansfield and Tioga from 1868 to 1892, in which year he died in Tioga. Dr. Alston J. Cole located in Mansfield in 1868 and practiced there nearly twenty years. Dr. William Caldwell, a native of Ireland, graduated from the University of Dublin in 1848. About 1867 he located in Morris Run, as the physician of the Morris Run Coal Company, and practiced there until 1891. Dr. H. Boyer located in Gaines in 1869 and practiced for several years. Dr. John Caldwell located in Arnot in 1870 and practiced there a few years. In November 1870, Dr. D. C. Waters also located in Arnot, where he is still a resident physician, his practice being confined almost exclusively to miners and other employes of the Blossburg Coal Company and their families.

Although the foregoing is not a complete list of all the physicians who practiced in the county from 1798, the year in which Dr. William Willard settled at Tioga, until 1870, it includes those most prominently identified with the profession. Many early physicians made but a transient stay, and it has been impossible to secure definite data concerning them. Others after practicing a number of years left the county, while still others drifted into farming or into business and gave up practicing entirely. Since 1870 the records show that nearly 150 physicians have been licensed in the county, many of whom made but a brief stay, while others taking the places of deceased or retired physicians have built up for themselves a practice based on acknowledged skill, personal popularity and a close attention to their professional duties. A brief mention of a few of the more prominent of these is appropriate here. A further reference to them will be found in the township and borough chapters.

Dr. Orson C. Cole, now retired, began practice in Union township in 1870. Dr. Frank Smith, a son of Nathaniel Smith, studied under his father in Millerton, where he has practiced since 1871. Mrs. Julia A. Furman, wife of Aaron K. Furman, has practiced medicine in Gaines township since 1871. Dr. G. D. Crandall located in Blossburg in 1872, where he is still in the active practice of his profession. In 1874 G. A. Smith located in Liberty where he has continued to practice until the present time. He is a native of Northumberland county and graduated from Jefferson medical College March 17, 1873. Dr. F. D. Ritter, a native of Herkimer county, new York, graduated from the University of Buffalo, February 16, 1861. He practiced in Gaines from 1872 until his death, March 12, 1897. Dr. A. L. Bottum was born in Nelson township, April 19, 1847, and received his academical education at Union and Woodhull Academies. He read medicine under Dr. William T. Humphrey, of Osceola; took a course of lectures at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and graduated from the Detroit Medical College, Detroit Michigan, in 1875, in the spring of which year he located in Westfield, where he has built up a large practice. Dr. Benjamin Moody, of Mansfield, a native of Bradford county, Pennsylvania, studied medicine with Dr. T. F. Madill, of Wysox, Bradford county; graduated from Geneva Medical College in 1868, and Jefferson Medical College in 1869. He practiced with his preceptor in Wysox and in Wyalusing until 1875, when he removed to Roseville, remaining until 1877, in which year he located in Mansfield. Dr. Charles A. Reese is a native of Somerset county, Pennsylvania, where he was born August 20, 1841. He is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania. From 1862 to 1874 he practiced in Sinnamahoning, Pennsylvania. In 1875 he located in Knoxville, where he has since practiced his profession.

Dr. Hugh L. Davis was born at Summit Hill, Carbon county, Pennsylvania, December 10, 1851, and came to Charleston township, Tioga county, with his parents in 1852. In 1870 he began the study of medicine with Dr. Nelson Packer, of Wellsboro, and in March, 1875, graduated from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. After practicing a short time each in Knoxville, Arnot, and West Hampton, Massachusetts, he located in Wellsboro in 1879. Here he soon built up a large practice and became one of the best known physicians in the county. He died from cerebral hemorrhage, December 19, 1895. Dr. Augustus Niles, a native of Tioga township, graduated from Bennett Medical College, January 21, 1875. He practiced until 1878 in Nelson, and for fifteen years thereafter in Keeneyville. In 1893 he removed to Wellsboro, where he has built up a large practice. Dr. Walter R. Francis, a native of Wellsboro, graduated from the University of Buffalo, February 23, 1876, and practiced in Knoxville from 1878 to 1891. Dr. Emery G. Drake, a native of Granville, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, was graduated from Long Island College Hospital, Brooklyn, June 25, 1874, and practiced for a number of years at Blossburg, Fall Brook, Morris Run and Antrim. Dr. Nathan W. Mastin, a native of Cayuga county, New York, graduated from the medical department of the University of the City of New York, February 12, 1879. He began the practice of his profession in East Charleston, where he continued until 1888, when he removed to Wellsboro, where he has since been one of the resident physicians.

Dr. Wentworth D. Vedder, a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Maryland, located in Mansfield in 1880, where he has continued in practice until the present time, being recognized as a skillful and successful physician. Dr. Clarence W. Webb, a son of Dr. Wellington W. Webb, was born in Liberty township, September 14, 1855. He received his medical education in the University of Vermont and the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, graduating from the latter in 1879. He has since practiced in Wellsboro and is recognized as a successful and skillful physician. Dr. Henry E. Caldwell graduated from the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, in the spring of 1879. He practiced in Cincinnati until the summer of 1880, when he located at Morris Run, as physician for the Morris Run Coal Company. He is still in practice there. Dr. Wilmot G. Humphrey, a native of Elkland, graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Baltimore, in 1880, and immediately began practice at Osceola. In 1890 he removed to Elkland, where he has since continued to practice. Dr. Thomas A. Bair, a native of Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, graduated from Jefferson Medical College, March 12, 1879. Since 1880 he has been a resident physician of Sabinsville. Dr. Benjamin J. Fulkerson, a graduate of the University of the City of New York, practiced in Little Marsh from 1880 to 1895, when he removed to Tyrone, Pennsylvania. Dr. Theodore F. Woester, a native of Leroy, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and a graduate of Buchanan College, Philadelphia, has practiced at Ogdensburg since 1880. Dr. Charles Clarence Winsor was born in Ellery, Chautauqua county, New York, December 3, 1859. He graduated from Buffalo Medical College, February 21, 1881, and soon after began the practice of his profession at Arnot, remaining four years. He then removed to Blossburg, where he continued to practice until his death, August 3, 1889. Dr. J. B. McCloskey, a native of Clinton county, graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, March 12, 1874, and practiced at Morris from 1882 to 1890. Dr. Charles H. Bosworth, son of Dr. Henry C. Bosworth, and a native of Deerfield township, graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, March 1, 1882, and has since practiced his profession at Osceola. Dr. O. S. Nye, a native of Schuyler county, New York, graduated from Columbus Medical College, March 6, 1881. In 1882 he located in Roseville, where he is still a resident physician. Dr. Charles W. Hazlett, a native of Addison, New York, graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, March 1, 1882. He is at present a resident physician of East Charleston. Dr. Asaph T. Kunkle, a native of Berks county, Pennsylvania, was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, in 1883, and has since practiced his profession in Westfield. Dr. Calvin S. Baxter, a native of Nelson, graduated from the same college, March 1, 1882, and since 1887 has practiced in Nelson. Dr. John M. Gentry, a native of Virginia, also graduated from the same college, March 4, 1884, and has since practiced at Stony Fork. Dr. Charles N. Williams, a native of Wellsboro, and a son of Hon. H. W. Williams, graduated from Jefferson Medical College, March 29, 1884, and has for several years been a resident physician of Wellsboro. Dr. John B. Smith, a graduate of the University of Buffalo, has practiced medicine in Lawrenceville since 1885. Dr. Charles S. Logan, a graduate of the University of Buffalo, has practiced in Arnot since 1885. Dr. Philemon Rumsey, a native of Sullivan township, graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, March 15, 1885, and has for several years been a resident physician of Covington. Dr. William R. Thomas graduated from the University of Buffalo in 1886, and practiced five years in Lawrence township, ill health causing him to abandon his profession. Dr. Z. Ellis Kimble, a native of Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, graduated in 1886, and has since practiced in Liberty. Dr. T. N. Rockwell located in Elkland in 1887 and continued to practice until his death, January 30, 1896. Dr. Joseph N. Smith, a native of Sullivan township, and a graduate from the Homeopathic Hospital College, Cleveland, practiced in Wellsboro from 1887 to 1895. He is now located in Pittsburg. Dr. S. P. Hakes, a graduate of the medical department of the University of New York, has practiced in Tioga since 1888. He practiced in Leetonia until 1891, when he removed to Morris, where he pursues his profession and carries on a drug store. Dr. F. G. Elliott, a son of Nathaniel A. Elliott, of Mansfield, graduated from the University Vermont, July 16, 1889, and since practiced as resident physician at Mansfield. Dr. James L. Beers, a native of Danby, Tompkins county, New York, graduated from University Medical College of New York, March 8, 1882, and has practiced at Holidaytown since 1889. Dr. Edward M. Haley, a native of St. Lawrence county, New York, and a graduate of the medical department of the University of New York, has been a resident physician in Blossburg since 1890. Henry Matthews, the "Indian Doctor," who practiced under the name of James McCorhaway, located at Blackwells in 1890, and pursued his profession there until his death in 1895.

Dr. Alonzo Kibbe, a native of Potter county, Pennsylvania, graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, March 13, 1885. In 1891 he located in Knoxville where he has since practiced his profession. Dr. Willard G. Lent, a native of Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, has practiced in Wellsboro since 1891. Dr. William B. Stevens graduated from the same college in April, 1891, and immediately began practice in Nelson, where he is still a resident physician. Dr. Herbert P. Haskin, a native of Lansingville, New York, graduated from Jefferson Medical College April 15, 1891, and practiced in Gaines from 1892 to 1897. Dr. Frank G. Masten, a son of Dr. James Masten, of Westfield, graduated from the University of Buffalo, March 24, 1891, and has since practiced in Westfield with his father. Dr. Leon C. Brown, a native of Smithfield, Pennsylvania, graduated from the Homeopathic College, Chicago, in March, 1891, and is now a resident physician of Tioga. Dr. John I. VanWert, a native of Sullivan county, New York, graduated from Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, March 4, 1887. He is the physician of the Fall Brook Coal Company at Antrim. Dr. Luther N. Cloos is a native of Middlebury township. He graduated from the Baltimore Medical College March 30, 1893, since which time he has practiced his profession at Keeneyville. Dr. Clarence C. Gentry, a native of Green county, Virginia, graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, March 1, 1893, and since 1894 has been a resident physician of Morris. Dr. Edwin E. Clark, a native of Steuben county, New York, graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, April 19, 1893, and has since practiced his profession in Osceola. Dr. Frank L. Kiley, a native of Mansfield, graduated from Jefferson Medical College, May 2, 1893, and has since practiced at Daggett’s Mills. Dr. Dullivan A. Gaskill, a native of Covington, graduated from the Baltimore Medical College, March 1, 1893, and is a resident physician of Covington. Dr. Arthur M. Greenfield, a native of Kentucky, graduated from the Baltimore Medical College, March 23, 1892, and has since practiced at Sabinsville. Dr. Francis A. Birrilo, a native of Dunkirk, New York, graduated from Jefferson Medical College, May 2, 1893, and practiced in Blossburg until his removal to Trenton, New Jersey. Dr. John P. Longwell, a native of Greycourt, New York, graduated from the Chicago Hahnemann Medical College in 1893, and in October, 1895, he located in Wellsboro. Dr. Frederick Green Wood, a native of Sullivan township, graduated from Jefferson Medical College May 15, 1895, and since September 1, 1895, has practiced in Mansfield. Dr. John Cross Secor, a graduate of the University of Vermont, located in cherry flats in December, 1895. Dr. Henry C. Harkness graduated from the Chicago Homeopathic College March 17, 1896, and in June located in Mainesburg. Dr. Daniel Stratton graduated from the University of New York, May 7, 1895, and is a resident physician of Blossburg. Dr. George A. Trieman graduated from the Medical Chirurgical College, Philadelphia, May 4, 1893, and in September, 1896, located in Leetonia. Dr. J. Irving Bentley, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, located in Gaines in January, 1897, as the successor of Dr. H. P. Haskin. Dr. Charles Trexler opened an office in Knoxville the same month.


The first regular drug store in Wellsboro was opened in 1848 by Dr. Robert Roy, in a frame building which then stood on that portion of the site of the present Coles House, next to the residence of the late Judge Robert G. White. Dr. Roy was born May 13, 1824, in Warwick, Orange county, New York, and was a descendant of sturdy Scotch ancestry. When he was but four years of age his parents removed to Newtown, now Elmira, New York. The desire of his youth was to educate himself for the Christian ministry, but a severe cold, followed by inflammatory rheumatism, interrupted his studies and changed the whole course of his life. After measurably recovering his health, he entered the drug store of William Ogden, of Elmira, and learned the drug business. In 1848 he removed to Wellsboro, and opened the first store devoted exclusively to the sale of drugs in Tioga county. For about two years he occupied the frame building already referred to, and then removed to a little wooden structure just below the Bower block. A few years later he purchased half of the block on the southeast side of Main street, bounded by Water and Crafton streets, and built thereon the large three-story building that was burned in 1874. While this work was in progress Dr. Roy was prostrated by an accidental burning and was confined to his house about a year. The result of this misfortune was to cripple his resources that for many years he was greatly hampered in business.

In 1850 Dr. Roy married Miss Irene M. Dartt, a daughter of Cyrus Dartt, of Charleston township. Three children were born to this union, two of whom died in infancy. Arthur M., the only living child, is now one of the proprietors and editors of the Wellsboro Agitator. Dr. Roy, save for a period of about four years, continued in the drug business up to his death, which took place November 30, 1881. His widow is a resident of Wellsboro. Dr. Roy’s domestic life was very happy. He was a devout member of the Presbyterian church, and for several years before his death was a member of the session. For many years his health was poor and his eyesight bad, yet he maintained a cheerful disposition to the last. The sincerity of his religious convictions, his upright life and his spotless integrity, won for him the esteem and respect of the entire community. His influence, quietly but constantly exerted, was always for good, and he was regarded as one of the most upright and exemplary citizens of the borough.

While yet quite a young man and before coming to Wellsboro, Dr. Roy traveled and lectured on the Bible, the lecture being illustrated with stereopticon views. His assistant was a boy about fourteen or fifteen years of age, named Mark M. Pomeroy, afterwards famous as "Brick" Pomeroy, editor of the LaCrosse Democrat. Some years ago "Brick" being in reminiscent mood, wrote the following account of his experience as a clerk in Dr. Roy’s drug store in Wellsboro:

Out of this expedition (a panorama with a lecture thrown in) Uncle Robert cleared three, four or five hundred dollars; enough to start him quite handsomely in the drug business at Wellsboro, Pennsylvania. After he had accumulated this amount of capital, which was considered very large for those times in that country, he purchased an old stock of drugs from a broken down druggist in Elmira, and them conveyed by wagon across the hills to Wellsboro, Pennsylvania, where he started the first drug store of that place, and lived to become one of its most prosperous business men, but who has since experienced his ups and downs. His son, Arthur Roy, is now at the head of a Republican newspaper in that town.

When our trip was ended, late in the spring, I was allowed to go with Uncle Robert to Wellsboro, and to the duty and responsibility in his store of chief clerk, with the understanding that I could have a few shelves in the corner of the store on which to display a stock of candy. I had saved about nine dollars from my winter’s work. I should have had more, but in Towanda, where we stopped one cold night, I stood with my back to a red-hot coal stove, to warm myself as I came in, and unfortunately burned the back out of my overcoat. To purchase a new one cost seven dollars—seven weeks’ work. But the lesson was a good one, as it taught me never to turn my back to a warm friend.

The idea of becoming a candy merchant was novel and promising. So I made a few shallow boxes, in the fronts of which I could slip panes of eight-by-ten glass, and then bought a few jars in which to place for display a whole nine dollars’ worth of assorted candies, which I purchased of a candy merchant in Elmira, New York, whose name was Elmore. In May I left home with my venture of sweetmeats, and journeyed by wagon, in which were conveyed some of Uncle Robert’s goods, across the hills to Wellsboro, where I helped open and arrange the drug store in a small room not so large as my present sanctum or parlor. Here I applied myself patiently and industriously to the study of chemistry and the history and the principles of drugs and medicines. For a year and a half I made my home in Wellsboro, engaged in this business, having as a compensation the profit made from the stock of candy I had purchased and started in with. Unfortunately for my prosperity in this line, there were a number of very pretty little girls in Wellsboro, likewise a number of boys who had a taste for sweetmeats and who promised faithfully to pay pennies and sixpences in the future, but who, somehow or other, never had the money when it was wanted. Anxious to secure trade, I adopted the plan of giving candy to all the girls who came, and trusting the boys who wished credit, so that at the end of the year not only my candy boxes but my pockets were quite empty. I found myself not half so popular as when I had sweet things to give out to all who would come for them. But I had lots of fun in Wellsboro for all that.


This association was organized June 20, 1860, at the office of the late Nelson Packer, M. D., in Wellsboro, the original members being Drs. Nelson Packer, R. H. Archer, C. V. Elliott, W. W. Webb, Daniel Bacon and Otis W. Gibson, a son of Dr. Otis L. Gibson, one of the early physicians. The membership did not increase rapidly and the meetings were held irregularly. The meeting at Mansfield, December 19, 1860, was the last until September 9, 1868, when a meeting was held at Tioga and the society revived. The long lapse was due to the excitement attendant upon the Civil War. Those who attended this meeting were W. W. Webb, Daniel Bacon, Robert M. Christy, Robert B. Smith, T. R. Warren, H. A. Phillips and Lewis Darling, Jr. New life was infused into the society, and there followed an increase of membership and interest. Meetings were held every three months, papers read and questions discussed pertaining to diseases and their treatment. These meetings were regularly maintained until 1882, when the society again went into decline and practically ceased to exist. During the twenty-two years between its organization and suspension of activity, the following named physicians served as president: R. H. Archer, 1860; Daniel Bacon, 1868-69; Nelson Packer, 1870; James Masten, 1871; W. W. Webb, 1872; C. K. Thompson, 1873; W. T. Humphrey, 1874; Robert B. Smith, 1875; Lewis Darling, Jr., 1876; M. L. Bacon, 1877; E. G. Drake, 1878; George D. Maine, 1879; A. M. Loop, 1880; C. K. Thompson, 1881, and W. D. Vedder, 1882.

After a lapse of fourteen years the association was again organized, at a meeting held January 24, 1896, in Lawrenceville, at which the following officers were elected to serve until the annual meeting: Wentworth D. Vedder, of Mansfield, president; A. L. Bottum, of Westfield, vice-president; Lewis Darling, Jr., of Lawrenceville, secretary, and C. W. Webb, of Wellsboro, treasurer. The annual meeting was held June 19, 1896, when the following officers were elected for the ensuing year: A. L. Bottum, of Westfield, president; Luther N. Cloos, of Keeneyville, vice-president; Lewis Darling, Jr., of Lawrenceville, secretary, and C. W. Webb, of Wellsboro, treasurer. The association now numbers twenty-seven physicians in its membership; its meetings are held quarterly and the interest taken in them indicates that the association is at last permanently organized.

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 07 APR 2004
By Joyce M. Tice
Email Joyce M. Tice


Joyce Tip Box -- December 2007 -
If you are not navigating this Tri-Counties Site via the left and right sidebars of the Current What's New page you are doing yourself a disservice. You can get to any place on the site easily by making yourself familiar with these subject and place topics. Try them all to be as familiar with the site's 16,000 plus pages as you can. Stop groping in the dark and take the lighted path. That's also the only way you'll find the search engines for the site or have access to the necessary messages I may leave for you. Make it easy on yourself.