Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Elk Run Methodist Church, Sullivan Township, Tioga County PA
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Sullivan Township Page
Warning & Disclaimer
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to  Joyce
Retyped for Tri-Counties by Christine Keel
Photo of interior taken by Grace YORK Selleck shortly before the church closed in early 1990s. All the furnishings at the front were built by Joyce's grandfather, Lee D. Tice, shortly before his death in 1960. 
Joyce's Search Tip - January 2008
Do You Know that you can search just the 250 pages of Church Records and Histories on the site by using the Churches button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page? .
Elk Run W.S.C.S.
1939 Church Directory
1864-1964 Centennial Program
Elk Run Methodist Church History 1864-1964
Early Church Records 1857-1877

Elk Run Methodist Church History 1864-1964
This article was written by Oscar Sherman (probably) for the church's centennial celebration.

"Let’s build our own church," said Lyman Reynolds, leader of the Chandlersburg Class. "Where will we put the building?" said Amos Mudge. "Oh", said Sarah Smith, "I think the Palmers will give us land, right there by the grist mill."

From some such beginning as this, the Elk Run Methodist Church was formally organized February 2, 1864. The present building was erected that summer at a cost of $1,200.00. Such carpenters as John Dann probably aided with the work.

Palmer's water powered grist and flour mill was doing a good business. Elk Run Post Office handled the mail. Several shops and dwellings and the store made Chandlersburg quite a place. I. N. Tears, Annanais Richmond and "Little Isaac Smith" had enterprising saw mills that probably furnished the materials for the church structure.

Class meetings had been held for quite some time at the following places.

Mansfield Meeting House on Rutland Hill, Roseville, Red School, Swamp School, State Road Union Church, Mainesburg, Elk Run and Sylvania. Clark School on Armenia Mountain also had a class associated with this group.

Regular public schools surrounding this vicinity were Red School, Scouten Hill, Robbins Hill, Swamp, Hulslander, Holly and Elk Run.

The Civil War was over now, and the boys were returning to live a more normal kind of life.

Elder R. Mackwood, was the minister at Mainesburg Charge from 1863 to 1866, and probably had charge of the first services held in this building. The building had two entrances, no basement, and no Sunday School rooms at that time.

This church has always been a part of the Mainesburg Charge and has been served by the same ministers.

Byron Smith was superintendent of the Sunday School during this early period of Elk Run Church. Then Rell Richmond, who had been teaching the young people’s class was elected superintendent, and served many years.

In 1897 the superintendent was Bryon Smith. Secretary, Alta Richmond and Treasurer, Ada Smith. Teachers at that time were Mrs. Emma Wood, Ada Smith, Lizzie McConnel, Mrs. M. H. Garrison, Foster Garrison, Mrs. Sally Reynolds and Charles Ritz.

Officers of the Epworth League in 1897 were listed as Rev. H. E. Hyde, B. C. Smith, Mrs. Emma Wood, Mrs. Dora Mudge, Herbert Smith, Alta Richmond and J. C. Leiby.

One hundred and twenty seven church members were listed in 1897 for Elk Run. The complete list is in a pamphlet which you will find in our historical display today.

About the year 1917 under the leadership of such men as Elmer Updike, Lynn Williams, Arthur Hager and Rell Richmond, this building was raised and a full basement put under it. Later the huge horse sheds were removed and a small shed was erected to house the horse of Stella Bryant, who was about the last one to attend church by horse and buggy.

Lib McConnell was another faithful attender who came with horse and buggy. She taught Sunday School young people’s class for many many years.

About the year 1945, under the leadership of such members as Lee Tice, Earl Tice, Glenn Brace, Boyd Brace and many others, the present Sunday School rooms and the kitchen below were added to the church structure. Owen Smith did electrical installation and repairs many times.

Elmer Welch, who was helping repair the steeple one time, suffered a bad fall when he struck a saw horse and timbers.

One hundred years is only the frail beginning of the history of Elk Run Methodist Church. We must carry on the hopes, dreams and ambitions of our fore-fathers, who struggled through handicaps to make this church possible. God has blessed this group, and the very fact that you are here today and that the structure has outlasted many of the buildings of Chandlersburg of 1864, is assurance of Divine Guidance.

May we dedicate ourselves to carry on the never ending task of making Elk Run a solid Christian community worthy of God’s Blessings.

 On Saturday afternoon, May 14, the Elk Run church basement was the scene of a very pretty and delightful occasion when the girls of the True Blue class entertained their mothers and other ladies of the community.  On entering the women found themselves in a room elaborately decorated in blue and gold and after a hearty welcome and some visiting together the girls, with Dorothy Smith in charge, held their regular meeting consisting of business, mission study, and a short program of readings in honor of mother then all were ushered to the tables which were beautifully decorated in the class colors, blue, white and gold.  The colors were used not only in the flowers, favors, napkins and place cards (very cleverly hand painted by Ellen Garrison) but in the tempting lunch which was served.  In the center of the guest table on a blue decorated standard was placed a huge white and gold cake (most artistically designed by Hazel Reynolds), the top layer being a heart and on it the word “Mother”.  During the lunch the girls all joined in songs and yells and a most excellent short speech was given by Hazel Reynolds, in behalf of the class, with a seemingly perfect response from the women by Mrs. Henry Beardslee.  Following a few remarks by Mrs. Louis Tears, teacher of the class, all were dismissed by singing “Blest Be the Tie That Binds”.  There were about thirty-five present despite the thunderstorms and all expressed their appreciation of a most delightful time.
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 12 JAN 2003 
By Joyce M. Tice
Email Joyce M. Tice

You are the  visitor since the counter was installed on 12 JAN 2003